QFTCIRS Current Events 5-6

Mark Brader

Oct 29, 2019, 3:00:00 PM10/29/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
other rounds. For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2019-10-21), Round 1 - Current Events

1. A specific group of climate protesters shut down bridges in
Halifax, Montreal, Edmonton, and Vancouver, as well as the
Bloor Viaduct in Toronto. By what name is the group known?

2. In a surprise move, two people were named co-winners of the 2019
Booker Prize. Margaret Atwood was one of them: for what book
did she win?

3. And name *either* the author or the book that was the other
co-winner.

4. Although she was an early favorite for the Nobel Prize for
Literature, Margaret Atwood did not win that too. Name the
Austrian who did.

5. On the other hand, a Canadian-born scientist did share the
Nobel Prize for Physics, with fellow researchers Michel Mayor
and Didier Queloz, for their contributions to understanding
the evolution of the universe and Earth's place in the cosmos.
Name the Canadian-born scientist.

6. Christina Koch and Jessica Meir did something Friday that was
an international first. What was it?

7. For the first time since 1981, what were Iranian women allowed
to do on October 10?

8. In CONCACAF action last week, the Team Canada men's team scored
a landmark victory to move a step closer to making it to the
2020 World Cup. Who did they beat for the first time since 1985?

9. This stage, film, and television actor died this week at age 97.
He is possibly best known for his role as Walter Findlay on
the TV series "Maude". Name him.

10. A founding member of the band Cream, this drummer died October 6
at age 80. Name him.

* Game 6 (2019-10-28), Round 1 - Current Events

Lots of other things happened, but we'll start with the election.
Percentages are rounded to the nearest 0.1 percentage point.

1. Trudeau's Liberals won a minority, ending up with 157 seats.
How many seats did the second-place Conservatives get, exactly?

2. However, the Conservatives won the popular vote, with 34.4%.
What percentage of the popular vote did the Liberals have,
within 1 percentage point?

3. Which party has third-party status in Parliament, in spite of
taking only 7.7% of the popular vote?

4. Give the name of the only independent elected, in the riding
of Vancouver Granville.

5. Betcha thought we were all done with Margaret Atwood last week,
but surprise! Queen Elizabeth II awarded Atwood a rare royal
honor last week, for her services to literature. To what *order*
was Atwood named?

6. Tuesday, it was announced that this party anthem by Maestro
Fresh Wes will be the first rap song to be inducted into the
Canadian Songwriters Hall of Game. Name the song.

7. The Royal Canadian Mint issued a new coin on Tuesday featuring
a portrait of this man, the founder of Manitoba, on the 175th
anniversary of his birth. It is also the first coin to be
engraved in Michif, the official language of his nation. Who?

8. Sierra Robinson and 14 other youths filed a lawsuit against
the federal government Friday for individual injuries, asking
the federal court to compel the Canadian government to do what?

9. Which New York Knicks rookie set a record for the most points
by a Canadian in his NBA debut last week?

10. Eight people were inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of
Fame last Wednesday. Name *any one* of them.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You don't SIT IN the traffic jam;
m...@vex.net | you ARE the traffic jam." -- Werner Icking

Dan Blum

Oct 29, 2019, 3:05:12 PM10/29/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2019-10-21), Round 1 - Current Events

> 6. Christina Koch and Jessica Meir did something Friday that was
> an international first. What was it?

first all-women spacewalk

> 7. For the first time since 1981, what were Iranian women allowed
> to do on October 10?

vote

> 10. A founding member of the band Cream, this drummer died October 6
> at age 80. Name him.

Baker

> * Game 6 (2019-10-28), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Trudeau's Liberals won a minority, ending up with 157 seats.
> How many seats did the second-place Conservatives get, exactly?

124

> 2. However, the Conservatives won the popular vote, with 34.4%.
> What percentage of the popular vote did the Liberals have,
> within 1 percentage point?

31.1

> 3. Which party has third-party status in Parliament, in spite of
> taking only 7.7% of the popular vote?

NDP

> 5. Betcha thought we were all done with Margaret Atwood last week,
> but surprise! Queen Elizabeth II awarded Atwood a rare royal
> honor last week, for her services to literature. To what *order*
> was Atwood named?

Order of the Garter

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 29, 2019, 3:45:39 PM10/29/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5 (2019-10-21), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A specific group of climate protesters shut down bridges in
> Halifax, Montreal, Edmonton, and Vancouver, as well as the
> Bloor Viaduct in Toronto. By what name is the group known?

Extinction Rebellion

> 4. Although she was an early favorite for the Nobel Prize for
> Literature, Margaret Atwood did not win that too. Name the
> Austrian who did.

Peter Handke

> 7. For the first time since 1981, what were Iranian women allowed
> to do on October 10?

See a football game

> 8. In CONCACAF action last week, the Team Canada men's team scored
> a landmark victory to move a step closer to making it to the
> 2020 World Cup. Who did they beat for the first time since 1985?

2020 World Cup? Concacaf is usually about football and the next one is
in 2022.

Anyway, I assume it's the US. (I note that the only time Canada has
played the FIFA World Cup was in 1986, the year after the previous
victory.)

> 10. A founding member of the band Cream, this drummer died October 6
> at age 80. Name him.

Ginger Baker

> * Game 6 (2019-10-28), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Lots of other things happened, but we'll start with the election.
> Percentages are rounded to the nearest 0.1 percentage point.
>
> 1. Trudeau's Liberals won a minority, ending up with 157 seats.
> How many seats did the second-place Conservatives get, exactly?

121

> 2. However, the Conservatives won the popular vote, with 34.4%.
> What percentage of the popular vote did the Liberals have,
> within 1 percentage point?

33

> 3. Which party has third-party status in Parliament, in spite of
> taking only 7.7% of the popular vote?

Bloc Québecois

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 29, 2019, 3:47:11 PM10/29/19
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>> * Game 5 (2019-10-21), Round 1 - Current Events
>
>> 6. Christina Koch and Jessica Meir did something Friday that was
>> an international first. What was it?
>
> first all-women spacewalk

Damn! I read the question too quickly and did not pay attention. I should
know that. Jessica Meir is half-Swedish, and there have been some articles
in my daily about her.

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 29, 2019, 3:52:55 PM10/29/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:C4-dnR910Ja3ESXAnZ2dnUU7-
enN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5 (2019-10-21), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 6. Christina Koch and Jessica Meir did something Friday that was
> an international first. What was it?

an all-female spacewalk

> 9. This stage, film, and television actor died this week at age 97.
> He is possibly best known for his role as Walter Findlay on
> the TV series "Maude". Name him.

Macy

> 10. A founding member of the band Cream, this drummer died October 6
> at age 80. Name him.

Ginger Baker

> * Game 6 (2019-10-28), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Lots of other things happened, but we'll start with the election.
> Percentages are rounded to the nearest 0.1 percentage point.
>
> 1. Trudeau's Liberals won a minority, ending up with 157 seats.
> How many seats did the second-place Conservatives get, exactly?

119; 118

> 2. However, the Conservatives won the popular vote, with 34.4%.
> What percentage of the popular vote did the Liberals have,
> within 1 percentage point?

33.4%

> 3. Which party has third-party status in Parliament, in spite of
> taking only 7.7% of the popular vote?

Bloc Quebecois

> 5. Betcha thought we were all done with Margaret Atwood last week,
> but surprise! Queen Elizabeth II awarded Atwood a rare royal
> honor last week, for her services to literature. To what *order*
> was Atwood named?

Order of Merit

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Oct 29, 2019, 11:25:22 PM10/29/19
On 10/29/19 11:59 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2019-10-21), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A specific group of climate protesters shut down bridges in
> Halifax, Montreal, Edmonton, and Vancouver, as well as the
> Bloor Viaduct in Toronto. By what name is the group known?

Extinction Rebellion

> 2. In a surprise move, two people were named co-winners of the 2019
> Booker Prize. Margaret Atwood was one of them: for what book
> did she win?
>
> 3. And name *either* the author or the book that was the other
> co-winner.
>
> 4. Although she was an early favorite for the Nobel Prize for
> Literature, Margaret Atwood did not win that too. Name the
> Austrian who did.
>
> 5. On the other hand, a Canadian-born scientist did share the
> Nobel Prize for Physics, with fellow researchers Michel Mayor
> and Didier Queloz, for their contributions to understanding
> the evolution of the universe and Earth's place in the cosmos.
> Name the Canadian-born scientist.
>
> 6. Christina Koch and Jessica Meir did something Friday that was
> an international first. What was it?
>
> 7. For the first time since 1981, what were Iranian women allowed
> to do on October 10?

vote

> 8. In CONCACAF action last week, the Team Canada men's team scored
> a landmark victory to move a step closer to making it to the
> 2020 World Cup. Who did they beat for the first time since 1985?

Mexico

> 9. This stage, film, and television actor died this week at age 97.
> He is possibly best known for his role as Walter Findlay on
> the TV series "Maude". Name him.
>
> 10. A founding member of the band Cream, this drummer died October 6
> at age 80. Name him.
>

> * Game 6 (2019-10-28), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Lots of other things happened, but we'll start with the election.
> Percentages are rounded to the nearest 0.1 percentage point.
>
> 1. Trudeau's Liberals won a minority, ending up with 157 seats.
> How many seats did the second-place Conservatives get, exactly?
>
> 2. However, the Conservatives won the popular vote, with 34.4%.
> What percentage of the popular vote did the Liberals have,
> within 1 percentage point?

33%

> 3. Which party has third-party status in Parliament, in spite of
> taking only 7.7% of the popular vote?
>
> 4. Give the name of the only independent elected, in the riding
> of Vancouver Granville.
>
> 5. Betcha thought we were all done with Margaret Atwood last week,
> but surprise! Queen Elizabeth II awarded Atwood a rare royal
> honor last week, for her services to literature. To what *order*
> was Atwood named?
>
> 6. Tuesday, it was announced that this party anthem by Maestro
> Fresh Wes will be the first rap song to be inducted into the
> Canadian Songwriters Hall of Game. Name the song.
>
> 7. The Royal Canadian Mint issued a new coin on Tuesday featuring
> a portrait of this man, the founder of Manitoba, on the 175th
> anniversary of his birth. It is also the first coin to be
> engraved in Michif, the official language of his nation. Who?
>
> 8. Sierra Robinson and 14 other youths filed a lawsuit against
> the federal government Friday for individual injuries, asking
> the federal court to compel the Canadian government to do what?

restrict carbon emissions

> 9. Which New York Knicks rookie set a record for the most points
> by a Canadian in his NBA debut last week?
>
> 10. Eight people were inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of
> Fame last Wednesday. Name *any one* of them.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Oct 30, 2019, 5:57:24 PM10/30/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:C4-dnR910Ja3ESXAnZ2dnUU7-
enN...@giganews.com:

All female space walk

> 7. For the first time since 1981, what were Iranian women allowed
> to do on October 10?

Watch a football match in the stadium

> 8. In CONCACAF action last week, the Team Canada men's team scored
> a landmark victory to move a step closer to making it to the
> 2020 World Cup. Who did they beat for the first time since 1985?

USA

> 9. This stage, film, and television actor died this week at age 97.
> He is possibly best known for his role as Walter Findlay on
> the TV series "Maude". Name him.
>
> 10. A founding member of the band Cream, this drummer died October 6
> at age 80. Name him.

Ginger Baker

> * Game 6 (2019-10-28), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> Lots of other things happened, but we'll start with the election.
> Percentages are rounded to the nearest 0.1 percentage point.
>
> 1. Trudeau's Liberals won a minority, ending up with 157 seats.
> How many seats did the second-place Conservatives get, exactly?
>
> 2. However, the Conservatives won the popular vote, with 34.4%.
> What percentage of the popular vote did the Liberals have,
> within 1 percentage point?

28; 31

> 3. Which party has third-party status in Parliament, in spite of
> taking only 7.7% of the popular vote?

Greens

> 4. Give the name of the only independent elected, in the riding
> of Vancouver Granville.
>
> 5. Betcha thought we were all done with Margaret Atwood last week,
> but surprise! Queen Elizabeth II awarded Atwood a rare royal
> honor last week, for her services to literature. To what *order*
> was Atwood named?
>
> 6. Tuesday, it was announced that this party anthem by Maestro
> Fresh Wes will be the first rap song to be inducted into the
> Canadian Songwriters Hall of Game. Name the song.
>
> 7. The Royal Canadian Mint issued a new coin on Tuesday featuring
> a portrait of this man, the founder of Manitoba, on the 175th
> anniversary of his birth. It is also the first coin to be
> engraved in Michif, the official language of his nation. Who?
>
> 8. Sierra Robinson and 14 other youths filed a lawsuit against
> the federal government Friday for individual injuries, asking
> the federal court to compel the Canadian government to do what?
>
> 9. Which New York Knicks rookie set a record for the most points
> by a Canadian in his NBA debut last week?
>
> 10. Eight people were inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of
> Fame last Wednesday. Name *any one* of them.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Nov 2, 2019, 12:22:04 AM11/2/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the
> dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still
> expected to give the answers that were correct on that date...
> For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2019-10-21), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. A specific group of climate protesters shut down bridges in
> Halifax, Montreal, Edmonton, and Vancouver, as well as the
> Bloor Viaduct in Toronto. By what name is the group known?

Extinction Rebellion. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> 2. In a surprise move, two people were named co-winners of the 2019
> Booker Prize. Margaret Atwood was one of them: for what book
> did she win?

"The Testaments".

> 3. And name *either* the author or the book that was the other
> co-winner.

"Girl, Woman, Other" by Bernardine Evaristo.

After some previous cases where the people organizing the prize had
named co-winners, they made it an official rule that they would never
do that again, so this was a surprise. They basically explained it
by saying they really had to, because two candidates were equally
deserving and any other decision would be unfair.

> 4. Although she was an early favorite for the Nobel Prize for
> Literature, Margaret Atwood did not win that too. Name the
> Austrian who did.

Peter Handke. 4 for Erland.

> 5. On the other hand, a Canadian-born scientist did share the
> Nobel Prize for Physics, with fellow researchers Michel Mayor
> and Didier Queloz, for their contributions to understanding
> the evolution of the universe and Earth's place in the cosmos.
> Name the Canadian-born scientist.

James Peebles.

> 6. Christina Koch and Jessica Meir did something Friday that was
> an international first. What was it?

First space walk by multiple women together, and also the first by
only women. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 7. For the first time since 1981, what were Iranian women allowed
> to do on October 10?

Attend (I accepted "see") a soccer game. (Iran vs. Cambodia.)
4 for Erland and Pete.

> 8. In CONCACAF action last week, the Team Canada men's team scored
> a landmark victory to move a step closer to making it to the
> 2020 World Cup. Who did they beat for the first time since 1985?

USA. 4 for Erland and Pete.

> 9. This stage, film, and television actor died this week at age 97.
> He is possibly best known for his role as Walter Findlay on
> the TV series "Maude". Name him.

Bill Macy. (Not the same guy as William H. Macy.) 4 for Joshua.

> 10. A founding member of the band Cream, this drummer died October 6
> at age 80. Name him.

Peter Edwards "Ginger" Baker. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Pete.

> * Game 6 (2019-10-28), Round 1 - Current Events

Sorry, I should have marked that as "Canadiana Current Events".
At the original game our QM forgot to mention it, or I didn't
hear him say it, and I didn't notice it was all Canadiana.

> Lots of other things happened, but we'll start with the election.
> Percentages are rounded to the nearest 0.1 percentage point.

> 1. Trudeau's Liberals won a minority, ending up with 157 seats.
> How many seats did the second-place Conservatives get, exactly?

121. 4 for Erland.

> 2. However, the Conservatives won the popular vote, with 34.4%.
> What percentage of the popular vote did the Liberals have,
> within 1 percentage point?

33.1% (accepting 32.1%-34.1%). 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Which party has third-party status in Parliament, in spite of
> taking only 7.7% of the popular vote?

Bloc Québécois (accepting BQ). 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> 4. Give the name of the only independent elected, in the riding
> of Vancouver Granville.

(Former Liberal) Jody Wilson-Raybould.

> 5. Betcha thought we were all done with Margaret Atwood last week,
> but surprise! Queen Elizabeth II awarded Atwood a rare royal
> honor last week, for her services to literature. To what *order*
> was Atwood named?

> 6. Tuesday, it was announced that this party anthem by Maestro
> Fresh Wes will be the first rap song to be inducted into the
> Canadian Songwriters Hall of Game. Name the song.

"Let Your Backbone Slide".

> 7. The Royal Canadian Mint issued a new coin on Tuesday featuring
> a portrait of this man, the founder of Manitoba, on the 175th
> anniversary of his birth. It is also the first coin to be
> engraved in Michif, the official language of his nation. Who?

Louis Riel.

Without checking, I suspect this is the first case of the government
commemorating in this way a person they executed for treason.

> 8. Sierra Robinson and 14 other youths filed a lawsuit against
> the federal government Friday for individual injuries, asking
> the federal court to compel the Canadian government to do what?

Develop a climate recovery plan using the best available science.
(Anything along these lines was acceptable.) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. Which New York Knicks rookie set a record for the most points
> by a Canadian in his NBA debut last week?

R.J. Barrett.

> 10. Eight people were inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of
> Fame last Wednesday. Name *any one* of them.

Athletes Alex Bilodeau (freestyle skiing), Colette Bourgonje
(wheelchair racing and para-Nordic skiing), Martin Brodeur (hockey),
Jayne Hefford (hockey), Waneek Horn-Miller (water polo), and Vicki
Keith (swimming); builders Guylaine Bernier (rowing) and Doug Mitchell
(football).

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Erland Sommarskog 8 12 0 0 20 12 52
Pete Gayde 11 20 0 2 16 0 49
Joshua Kreitzer 20 0 -- -- 12 8 40
Dan Blum 19 6 4 0 8 0 37
Dan Tilque 4 12 -- -- 4 8 28
Bruce Bowler 15 8 -- -- -- -- 23

--
Mark Brader | Up until now, you have been told never to use
Toronto | the Goto. I use it. I use a revolver too, but

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 2, 2019, 12:37:13 AM11/2/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 5. Betcha thought we were all done with Margaret Atwood last week,
>> but surprise! Queen Elizabeth II awarded Atwood a rare royal
>> honor last week, for her services to literature. To what *order*
>> was Atwood named?

And the answer was?

Dan Blum

Nov 2, 2019, 12:38:35 AM11/2/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 5. Betcha thought we were all done with Margaret Atwood last week,
> > but surprise! Queen Elizabeth II awarded Atwood a rare royal
> > honor last week, for her services to literature. To what *order*
> > was Atwood named?

So what was it?

> > 7. The Royal Canadian Mint issued a new coin on Tuesday featuring
> > a portrait of this man, the founder of Manitoba, on the 175th
> > anniversary of his birth. It is also the first coin to be
> > engraved in Michif, the official language of his nation. Who?

> Louis Riel.

> Without checking, I suspect this is the first case of the government
> commemorating in this way a person they executed for treason.

That's why I didn't guess him.

Mark Brader

Nov 2, 2019, 3:11:53 AM11/2/19
Mark Brader:
> > > 5. Betcha thought we were all done with Margaret Atwood last week,
> > > but surprise! Queen Elizabeth II awarded Atwood a rare royal
> > > honor last week, for her services to literature. To what *order*
> > > was Atwood named?

Dan Blum:
> So what was it?

Oh, sorry. The Companions of Honour. Nobody got it and I must've
deleted one too many lines from the file when scoring.

> > > 7. The Royal Canadian Mint issued a new coin...

> > Louis Riel.
>
> > Without checking, I suspect this is the first case of the government
> > commemorating in this way a person they executed for treason.
>
> That's why I didn't guess him.

(Evil chuckle.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Police Stop Slaying Suspect Look-alikes"
m...@vex.net | --Yakima, WA, Herald-Republic, 2001-08-26