Calvin's Quiz #148

Calvin

Jul 25, 2011, 10:48:26 PM7/25/11

1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?
2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?
3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?
4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?
5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?
6 Moldova is a country on which continent?
7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on the
River Kwai?
8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?
9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?
10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

--

cheers,
calvin

swp

Jul 25, 2011, 11:39:02 PM7/25/11
rowing
star trek
japan
irving berlin
rehydration, wetting, soaking
europe
alec guinness
lentils
tom brown's schooldays (originally)
united states & canada

swp

Pete

Jul 25, 2011, 11:53:47 PM7/25/11
Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote in

> 1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?

Rowing

> 2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?

Star Trek

> 3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Japan

> 4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Irving Berlin

> 5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

Condensation

> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe

> 7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film
> Bridge on the River Kwai?

Alec Guinness

> 8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?
> 9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?
> 10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land
> border?

United States and Canada

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 26, 2011, 12:00:21 AM7/26/11
In article <op.vy7gq...@04233-jyhzp1s.staff.ad.bond.edu.au>, cal...@phlegm.com says...

> 1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?
hoop rolling

> 2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?

Star Trek

> 3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Portugal. Don't tell me Japan -- the Portuguese introduced it to Japan.
The name is a Japanese pronunciation of the Latin word "tempora,"
meaning "times [of the year]," because the Iberians ate fish and
vegetables during Lent.

> 4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Irving Berlin, and it's called "White Christmas"

> 5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

condensation

> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe

> 7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on the River Kwai?

It better have been Alec Guinness

> 8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?

lentils

> 9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?
> 10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

Canada and United States

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

John Masters

Jul 26, 2011, 12:58:56 AM7/26/11
On 2011-07-26 02:48:26 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?

Rowing

> 2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?

Star Trek

> 3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Japan

> 4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Irving Berlin

> 5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

Condensation

> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe

> 7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on
> the River Kwai?

Alec Guiness

> 8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?

Pulses

> 9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?

Tom Browns Schooldays

> 10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

USA/Canada

Mark Brader

Jul 26, 2011, 1:27:26 AM7/26/11
"Calvin" writes:
> 1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?
> 2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?

"Earth: Final Conflict".

Oh, and "Star Trek".

> 3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Japan.

> 4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Berlin?

> 5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

Condensation.

> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe.

> 7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on the
> River Kwai?

Guinness -- whose name was misspelled in the movie's opening credits
(it was corrected in a later edition).

> 8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?
> 9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?

"Sharpe's Honour"?

> 10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

Canada, USA.
--
Mark Brader | "UNIX are quality sectional bookcases, made of solid oak.
Toronto | Open or glass-fronted, in three sizes and three finishes,
| -- Daily Mail Ideal Home Book, 1951-52

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 26, 2011, 6:22:30 AM7/26/11
Calvin (cal...@phlegm.com) writes:
> 1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?

Javelin

> 3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Japan

> 4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Bing Crosby

> 5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

Condensation

> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe

> 10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

US & Canada

David

Jul 26, 2011, 6:33:57 AM7/26/11
1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?

Rowing

2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?

Star trek

3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Japan

4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?
5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

Condensation

6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe

7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on the
River Kwai?

Alec Guinness

8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?

Lentils

9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?
10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

Canada and USA

Joachim Parsch

Jul 26, 2011, 9:44:04 AM7/26/11

Calvin schrieb:

> 1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?
> 2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?

Star Trek.

> 3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Spain.

> 4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Irving Berlin.

> 5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

Condensation.

> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe.

> 7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on the
> River Kwai?

Alec Guiness.

> 8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?
> 9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?
> 10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

USA/Canada

Joachim

Stan Brown

Jul 26, 2011, 10:50:52 AM7/26/11
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:48:26 +1000, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?
> 2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?

Star Trek

> 3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Japan

> 4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Irving Berlin

> 5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

Condensation

> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe (just barely)

> 7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on the
> River Kwai?

Alec Guinness

> 8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?

It would be lentils, I believe.

> 9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?

Tom Brown's Schooldays

> 10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

US and Canada

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 26, 2011, 5:37:03 PM7/26/11
Stan Brown (the_sta...@fastmail.fm) writes:
>> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?
>
> Europe (just barely)

Nah, there is not exactly any other continent close by.

björn lundin

Jul 26, 2011, 6:14:14 PM7/26/11
On 26 Juli, 04:48, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:
> 4       Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?
Irving berlin

> 5       Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?
Condensation

> 6       Moldova is a country on which continent?
Europe

> 7       Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on the
> River Kwai?
Alec guinnes

> 10      Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?
Usa and canada

--
björn lundin

Rob Parker

Jul 27, 2011, 1:01:49 AM7/27/11
> 1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?

Rowing (?)

> 2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?

Star Trek

> 3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Japan

> 4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Irving Berlin

> 5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

Condensation

> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe

> 7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on the
> River Kwai?

Mickey Rooney (?)

> 8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?

Lentils

> 9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?

Tom Brown's Schooldays

> 10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

US and Canada (?)

Rob

Calvin

Jul 27, 2011, 11:38:34 PM7/27/11
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:48:26 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

> 1 Britain's Steve Redgrave won Olympic gold which sport?

Rowing
5/11

> 2 Which sci-fi TV series was created by Gene Roddenberry?

Star Trek (among others)
9/11

> 3 Tempura cuisine originated in which country?

Japan was the expected answer, but Marc was quite right in pointing out
that the Portuguese introduced it there in the 16th C so I'll accept that
as well.
9/11

> 4 Who wrote the song I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Irving Berlin
9/11
And yes the title is properly "White Christmas".

> 5 Which scientific process is the reverse of evaporation?

Condensation
10/11

> 6 Moldova is a country on which continent?

Europe
11/11

> 7 Who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in the 1957 film Bridge on
> the River Kwai?

Alec Guinness
9/11

> 8 What is the main ingredient of dahl?

Lentils
5/11
Pulse is not specific enough sorry John.

> 9 The bully Flashman was a character in which 19th century novel?

Tom Brown's Schooldays
4/11

> 10 Which two countries share the world's longest common land border?

USA & Canada
11/11

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL Quiz 148
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 5 Bjorn Lundin
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 David
0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 4 Erland S
0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 6 Joachim Parsch
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 John Masters
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 8 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 9 Rob Parker
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 Stan Brown
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 Stephen Perry
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 9 9 9 10 11 9 5 4 11 82 TOTAL
75%

Another 4-way tie.

--

cheers,
calvin

John Masters

Jul 28, 2011, 1:02:27 AM7/28/11
On 2011-07-28 03:38:34 +0000, Calvin said:

> Lentils
> 5/11
> Pulse is not specific enough sorry John.

I would say Lentils is too specific and inaccurate; there are many
dahls that do not use lentils but are made with other pulses such as
chickpeas etc.

Calvin

Jul 28, 2011, 2:23:03 AM7/28/11
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:02:27 +1000, John Masters <johnma...@aol.com>
wrote:

It's equally true that many pulses are not used in dahl, but on reflection
I'm inclined to give you the point (and the win). Congratulations.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL Quiz 148
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 5 Bjorn Lundin
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 David
0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 4 Erland S
0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 6 Joachim Parsch

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 John Masters

0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 8 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 9 Rob Parker
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 Stan Brown
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 Stephen Perry
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------

5 9 9 9 10 11 9 6 4 11 83 TOTAL
75%

--

cheers,
calvin

John Masters

Jul 28, 2011, 1:29:07 PM7/28/11
On 2011-07-28 06:23:03 +0000, Calvin said:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:02:27 +1000, John Masters <johnma...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-07-28 03:38:34 +0000, Calvin said:
>>
>>> Lentils
>>> 5/11
>>> Pulse is not specific enough sorry John.
>>>

>> I would say Lentils is too specific and inaccurate; there are many
>> dahls that do not use lentils but are made with other pulses such as
>> chickpeas etc.
>
> It's equally true that many pulses are not used in dahl, but on
> reflection I'm inclined to give you the point (and the win).
> Congratulations.

Thank you Calvin. First time I've got 'em all. As a matter of interest
the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary gives Dal or Dhal as:-

Split pulses (esp. the seed of the pigeon pea, Cajanus cajan ), a
common foodstuff in the Indian subcontinent.