QFTCIMM16 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: apologies and theater

Mark Brader

Feb 14, 2017, 1:05:13 AM2/14/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa

10 questions about official government apologies for past wrongs.

1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.

2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
"Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
National Day of Healing. In what country?

3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?

4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
"Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?

6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?

7. In May 2016, PM Justin gave this apology: "We can never know
what your lives would have been like had your relatives been
welcome to Canada." He was referring to foreign passengers who
were denied entry into Canada in 1914. What *boat* were they on?

8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?

9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
country instead. Within 2 years, when did *that* happen?

10. In 2010, British PM David Cameron apologized on behalf of
the UK for what 1972 incident? Name or describe it.

* Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater

1. Name the play in which you'd hear the following line:
"To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a
misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

2. Charles Marlow, free and easy with servant girls, is intimidated
by women of his own class -- so, to catch him, Kate poses as
a maid. Name the 1773 play or its author.

3. Eugene O'Neill's most highly-regarded drama concerns some
16 hours in the life of the retired actor James Tyrone, his
morphine-addicted wife, and his two sons. Name the play.

4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?

5. The Puritan ban on theater ended when Charles II took the throne
in 1660. English women could now act professionally and scripts
were even permitted some sexual frankness. By what collective
name are the humorous works of such playwrights as William
Congreve, William Wycherley, and John Vanburgh best known?

6. Who wrote "Hay Fever", "Private Lives", and "Blithe Spirit"?

7. Who wrote "White Biting Dog", "Perfect Pie", and "Palace of
the End"?

8. "She's as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile",
says one character -- created by *which author* for his first
play, "The Rivals"?

9. In Shakespeare's "Othello", the person that brings about
the protagonist's ruin professes so many different motives for
his nastiness that ultimately none are convincing. Name this
enigmatic malcontent.

10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
On what?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto This is a signature antibody. Please
m...@vex.net remove any viruses from your signature.

Bruce

Feb 14, 2017, 9:03:23 AM2/14/17
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 00:05:08 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa
>
> 10 questions about official government apologies for past wrongs.

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge -- 400
> black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

Syphilis

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for the
> mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped to turn the
> tide of the war". Who was the man?

Turing

> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of this
> astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?

Galileo

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater
>

> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?

The kindness of strangers.

Dan Blum

Feb 14, 2017, 10:13:10 AM2/14/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa

> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.

Kohl

> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?

Australia

> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?

Hawaii

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

syphillis

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?

Alan Turing

> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?

Galileo

> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?

Manchurians; Koreans

> 9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
> the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
> decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
> country instead. Within 2 years, when did *that* happen?

1920; 1932

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater

> 1. Name the play in which you'd hear the following line:
> "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a
> misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

The Importance of Being Earnest

> 3. Eugene O'Neill's most highly-regarded drama concerns some
> 16 hours in the life of the retired actor James Tyrone, his
> morphine-addicted wife, and his two sons. Name the play.

A Long Day's Journey Into Night

> 4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
> Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?

No Exit

> 5. The Puritan ban on theater ended when Charles II took the throne
> in 1660. English women could now act professionally and scripts
> were even permitted some sexual frankness. By what collective
> name are the humorous works of such playwrights as William
> Congreve, William Wycherley, and John Vanburgh best known?

Restoration comedies

> 6. Who wrote "Hay Fever", "Private Lives", and "Blithe Spirit"?

Noel Coward

> 8. "She's as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile",
> says one character -- created by *which author* for his first
> play, "The Rivals"?

Sheridan

> 9. In Shakespeare's "Othello", the person that brings about
> the protagonist's ruin professes so many different motives for
> his nastiness that ultimately none are convincing. Name this
> enigmatic malcontent.

Iago

> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?

the kindness of strangers

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Feb 14, 2017, 11:12:52 AM2/14/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa
>
> 10 questions about official government apologies for past wrongs.
>
> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.
Kohl, Schmidt
> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?
Australia
> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?
Hawaii
> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?
>
> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?
Alan Turing
> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?
Copernicus, Galileo
> 7. In May 2016, PM Justin gave this apology: "We can never know
> what your lives would have been like had your relatives been
> welcome to Canada." He was referring to foreign passengers who
> were denied entry into Canada in 1914. What boat were they on?
>
> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?
Prisoners of war
> 9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
> the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
> decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
> country instead. Within 2 years, when did that happen?
>
> 10. In 2010, British PM David Cameron apologized on behalf of
> the UK for what 1972 incident? Name or describe it.
>

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater
>
> 1. Name the play in which you'd hear the following line:
> "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a
> misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
The Importance of Being Earnest
> 2. Charles Marlow, free and easy with servant girls, is intimidated
> by women of his own class -- so, to catch him, Kate poses as
> a maid. Name the 1773 play or its author.
>
> 3. Eugene O'Neill's most highly-regarded drama concerns some
> 16 hours in the life of the retired actor James Tyrone, his
> morphine-addicted wife, and his two sons. Name the play.
>
> 4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
> Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?
Waiting for Godot
> 5. The Puritan ban on theater ended when Charles II took the throne
> in 1660. English women could now act professionally and scripts
> were even permitted some sexual frankness. By what collective
> name are the humorous works of such playwrights as William
> Congreve, William Wycherley, and John Vanburgh best known?
>
> 6. Who wrote "Hay Fever", "Private Lives", and "Blithe Spirit"?
Noel Coward
> 7. Who wrote "White Biting Dog", "Perfect Pie", and "Palace of
> the End"?
>
> 8. "She's as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile",
> says one character -- created by *which author* for his first
> play, "The Rivals"?
>
> 9. In Shakespeare's "Othello", the person that brings about
> the protagonist's ruin professes so many different motives for
> his nastiness that ultimately none are convincing. Name this
> enigmatic malcontent.
Malvolio
> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 14, 2017, 4:07:13 PM2/14/17
In article <CdidndN9XqGJAz_F...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa
>
> 10 questions about official government apologies for past wrongs.
>
> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.
Kohl

> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?
Australia

> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?
Hawaii

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?
syphilis

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?
Alan Turing

> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?
Galileo Galilei

> 7. In May 2016, PM Justin gave this apology: "We can never know
> what your lives would have been like had your relatives been
> welcome to Canada." He was referring to foreign passengers who
> were denied entry into Canada in 1914. What *boat* were they on?
>
> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?
Chinese

> 9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
> the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
> decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
> country instead. Within 2 years, when did *that* happen?
>
> 10. In 2010, British PM David Cameron apologized on behalf of
> the UK for what 1972 incident? Name or describe it.
>

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater
>
> 1. Name the play in which you'd hear the following line:
> "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a
> misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
The Importance of Being Earnest

> 2. Charles Marlow, free and easy with servant girls, is intimidated
> by women of his own class -- so, to catch him, Kate poses as
> a maid. Name the 1773 play or its author.
>
> 3. Eugene O'Neill's most highly-regarded drama concerns some
> 16 hours in the life of the retired actor James Tyrone, his
> morphine-addicted wife, and his two sons. Name the play.
Long Day's Journey Into Night

> 4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
> Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?
>
> 5. The Puritan ban on theater ended when Charles II took the throne
> in 1660. English women could now act professionally and scripts
> were even permitted some sexual frankness. By what collective
> name are the humorous works of such playwrights as William
> Congreve, William Wycherley, and John Vanburgh best known?
>
> 6. Who wrote "Hay Fever", "Private Lives", and "Blithe Spirit"?
Noel Coward

> 7. Who wrote "White Biting Dog", "Perfect Pie", and "Palace of
> the End"?
>
> 8. "She's as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile",
> says one character -- created by *which author* for his first
> play, "The Rivals"?
>
> 9. In Shakespeare's "Othello", the person that brings about
> the protagonist's ruin professes so many different motives for
> his nastiness that ultimately none are convincing. Name this
> enigmatic malcontent.
Iago

> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?
the kindness of strangers.

Pete Gayde

Feb 14, 2017, 5:07:26 PM2/14/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:CdidndN9XqGJAz_FnZ2dnUU7-
W3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa
>
> 10 questions about official government apologies for past wrongs.
>
> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.

Schmidt; Kohl

> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?

Australia

> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?

Hawaii

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

Syphillus

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?

Turing

> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?

Galileo

> 7. In May 2016, PM Justin gave this apology: "We can never know
> what your lives would have been like had your relatives been
> welcome to Canada." He was referring to foreign passengers who
> were denied entry into Canada in 1914. What *boat* were they on?
>
> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?

Korean comfort women

> 9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
> the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
> decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
> country instead. Within 2 years, when did *that* happen?

1896; 1901

> 10. In 2010, British PM David Cameron apologized on behalf of
> the UK for what 1972 incident? Name or describe it.

Bloody Sunday
Iago

> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?

The kindness of strangers

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 14, 2017, 8:04:52 PM2/14/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.

Willy Brandt

> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?

South Africa

> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?

Hawaii

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

Anthrax

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?

Alan Turing

> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?

Korean women brought to Japan.

> 10. In 2010, British PM David Cameron apologized on behalf of
> the UK for what 1972 incident? Name or describe it.

Bloody Sunday

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater
>
> 3. Eugene O'Neill's most highly-regarded drama concerns some
> 16 hours in the life of the retired actor James Tyrone, his
> morphine-addicted wife, and his two sons. Name the play.

Long Day's Travel to Night.

(I'm translating a title from Swedish, so I have certainly messed it up.)

Dan Tilque

Feb 14, 2017, 11:01:37 PM2/14/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa
>
> 10 questions about official government apologies for past wrongs.
>
> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.

Brandt

> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?

Australia

> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?

Hawaii

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

syphilis

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?

Turing

> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?

Gallileo

> 7. In May 2016, PM Justin gave this apology: "We can never know
> what your lives would have been like had your relatives been
> welcome to Canada." He was referring to foreign passengers who
> were denied entry into Canada in 1914. What *boat* were they on?
>
> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?

Korean comfort women

> 9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
> the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
> decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
> country instead. Within 2 years, when did *that* happen?

1921
Sheridan

> 9. In Shakespeare's "Othello", the person that brings about
> the protagonist's ruin professes so many different motives for
> his nastiness that ultimately none are convincing. Name this
> enigmatic malcontent.
>
> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?

the kindness of strangers

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 14, 2017, 11:14:17 PM2/14/17
Syfillis? (sp?)
> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?
>
> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?
Galileo
> 7. In May 2016, PM Justin gave this apology: "We can never know
> what your lives would have been like had your relatives been
> welcome to Canada." He was referring to foreign passengers who
> were denied entry into Canada in 1914. What *boat* were they on?
>
> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?
Chinese
Iago?
> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?
"The kindness of strangers"

Calvin

Feb 14, 2017, 11:52:32 PM2/14/17
On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 4:05:13 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa
>
> 10 questions about official government apologies for past wrongs.
>
> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.

Kohl

> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?

Australia

> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?

Colombia, Venezuela

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

Tuberculosis, measles

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?

Turing

> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?

Galileo, Copernicus

> 7. In May 2016, PM Justin gave this apology: "We can never know
> what your lives would have been like had your relatives been
> welcome to Canada." He was referring to foreign passengers who
> were denied entry into Canada in 1914. What *boat* were they on?

Lusitania

> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?

Korean and Chinese "comfort" women

> 9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
> the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
> decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
> country instead. Within 2 years, when did *that* happen?

1920, 1925

> 10. In 2010, British PM David Cameron apologized on behalf of
> the UK for what 1972 incident? Name or describe it.

Dunno

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater
>
> 1. Name the play in which you'd hear the following line:
> "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a
> misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

The Importance of Being Ernest

> 2. Charles Marlow, free and easy with servant girls, is intimidated
> by women of his own class -- so, to catch him, Kate poses as
> a maid. Name the 1773 play or its author.
>
> 3. Eugene O'Neill's most highly-regarded drama concerns some
> 16 hours in the life of the retired actor James Tyrone, his
> morphine-addicted wife, and his two sons. Name the play.

Mourning becomes Electra, Long day's journey into night

> 4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
> Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?

Waiting for Godot

> 5. The Puritan ban on theater ended when Charles II took the throne
> in 1660. English women could now act professionally and scripts
> were even permitted some sexual frankness. By what collective
> name are the humorous works of such playwrights as William
> Congreve, William Wycherley, and John Vanburgh best known?

Restoration Theatre

> 6. Who wrote "Hay Fever", "Private Lives", and "Blithe Spirit"?

Noel Coward

> 7. Who wrote "White Biting Dog", "Perfect Pie", and "Palace of
> the End"?
>
> 8. "She's as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile",
> says one character -- created by *which author* for his first
> play, "The Rivals"?

Moliere?

> 9. In Shakespeare's "Othello", the person that brings about
> the protagonist's ruin professes so many different motives for
> his nastiness that ultimately none are convincing. Name this
> enigmatic malcontent.

Mercutio

> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?

The kindness of strangers

A stranger's just a friend you haven't met!

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 15, 2017, 2:14:09 AM2/15/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:CdidndN9XqGJAz_FnZ2dnUU7-
W3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa
>
> 10 questions about official government apologies for past wrongs.
>
> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.

Helmut Schmidt; Helmut Kohl

> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?

Australia

> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?

Hawaii

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

syphilis

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?

Alan Turing

> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?

Galileo

> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?

"comfort women" from World War II

> 9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
> the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
> decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
> country instead. Within 2 years, when did *that* happen?

1905; 1910

> 10. In 2010, British PM David Cameron apologized on behalf of
> the UK for what 1972 incident? Name or describe it.

Bloody Sunday

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater
>
> 1. Name the play in which you'd hear the following line:
> "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a
> misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

"The Importance of Being Earnest"

> 3. Eugene O'Neill's most highly-regarded drama concerns some
> 16 hours in the life of the retired actor James Tyrone, his
> morphine-addicted wife, and his two sons. Name the play.

"Long Day's Journey into Night"

> 4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
> Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?

"Waiting for Godot"

> 5. The Puritan ban on theater ended when Charles II took the throne
> in 1660. English women could now act professionally and scripts
> were even permitted some sexual frankness. By what collective
> name are the humorous works of such playwrights as William
> Congreve, William Wycherley, and John Vanburgh best known?

Restoration comedies

> 6. Who wrote "Hay Fever", "Private Lives", and "Blithe Spirit"?

Noel Coward

> 9. In Shakespeare's "Othello", the person that brings about
> the protagonist's ruin professes so many different motives for
> his nastiness that ultimately none are convincing. Name this
> enigmatic malcontent.

Iago

> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?

the kindness of strangers

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Gareth Owen

Feb 15, 2017, 1:21:05 PM2/15/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.

Helmut Kohl, Willi Brandt

> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?

Australia

> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?

Hawaii

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

Syphilis

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?

Alan Turing

> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?

Gallileo Galillei

> 7. In May 2016, PM Justin gave this apology: "We can never know
> what your lives would have been like had your relatives been
> welcome to Canada." He was referring to foreign passengers who
> were denied entry into Canada in 1914. What *boat* were they on?

> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?

Chinese

> 9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
> the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
> decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
> country instead. Within 2 years, when did *that* happen?

1927

> 10. In 2010, British PM David Cameron apologized on behalf of
> the UK for what 1972 incident? Name or describe it.

Bloody Sunday

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater
>
> 1. Name the play in which you'd hear the following line:
> "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a
> misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

The Importance of Being Earnest

> 2. Charles Marlow, free and easy with servant girls, is intimidated
> by women of his own class -- so, to catch him, Kate poses as
> a maid. Name the 1773 play or its author.

She Stoops To Conquer (or The Mistakes Of A Night)

> 3. Eugene O'Neill's most highly-regarded drama concerns some
> 16 hours in the life of the retired actor James Tyrone, his
> morphine-addicted wife, and his two sons. Name the play.

Long Days Journey Into Night

> 4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
> Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?

Beckett

> 5. The Puritan ban on theater ended when Charles II took the throne
> in 1660. English women could now act professionally and scripts
> were even permitted some sexual frankness. By what collective
> name are the humorous works of such playwrights as William
> Congreve, William Wycherley, and John Vanburgh best known?

Restoration Comedies

> 6. Who wrote "Hay Fever", "Private Lives", and "Blithe Spirit"?

Coward

> 7. Who wrote "White Biting Dog", "Perfect Pie", and "Palace of
> the End"?

No idea

> 8. "She's as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile",
> says one character -- created by *which author* for his first
> play, "The Rivals"?

Sheridan

> 9. In Shakespeare's "Othello", the person that brings about
> the protagonist's ruin professes so many different motives for
> his nastiness that ultimately none are convincing. Name this
> enigmatic malcontent.

Iago

> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?

the kindness of strangers

Mark Brader

Feb 16, 2017, 11:01:33 PM2/16/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa

> 10 questions about official government apologies for past wrongs.

> 1. In what was called the Warsaw Genuflection, during a state
> visit to Poland, the chancellor of Germany made a silent apology
> by he spontaneously kneeling in front of a memorial to the
> Jewish victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Name him.

Willy Brandt. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque. 2 for Gareth.

> 2. To make amends for 70 years of forced relocation of the so-called
> "Stolen Generations", National Sorry Day was celebrated every
> year from 1998 to 2005, until the name was changed to the
> National Day of Healing. In what country?

Australia. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Pete, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
Joshua, and Gareth.

> 3. In 1993, the US government apologized for their role in the
> overthrow of this kingdom 100 years earlier. US Marines backed
> the coup, which was orchestrated by American sugar barons.
> 5 years later the kingdom was annexed by the US. Which kingdom?

Hawaii. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Pete, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Joshua, and Gareth.

> 4. In 1997, Bill Clinton formally apologized for the unethical
> "Tuskegee experiment", in which -- without their knowledge --
> 400 black males were left untreated for *what disease*?

Syphilis. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Dan Tilque, Jason,
Joshua, and Gareth.

> 5. It's unusual to hear an apology made to an individual.
> British PM Gordon Brown issued a posthumous apology in 2009 for
> the mistreatment of the man whose "unique contribution helped
> to turn the tide of the war". Who was the man?

Alan Turing. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Pete, Erland,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, Joshua, and Gareth.

He was treated fairly under the laws of the time (1952); it's the law
itself, prohibiting homosexual acts, that's now considered unjust.
Turing was posthumously pardoned in 2013, but a general pardon for
others who were convicted -- thousands of them still alive -- was
announced only in October 2016, taking effect last month.

> 6. It took over 350 years and a 13-year investigation for the
> Vatican to finally apologize for their shoddy treatment of
> this astronomer. Who did John Paul II apologize to?

Galileo. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Dan Tilque, Jason,
Joshua, and Gareth. 3 for Calvin. 2 for Peter.

> 7. In May 2016, PM Justin gave this apology: "We can never know
> what your lives would have been like had your relatives been
> welcome to Canada." He was referring to foreign passengers who
> were denied entry into Canada in 1914. What *boat* were they on?

Komagata Maru.

> 8. In 1993, Japan apologized for atrocities they committed and
> set up a fund to redress the trauma suffered. In 2007, Japan's
> PM Shinzo Abe denied the violations and then apologized for
> denying them. Who were the victims of these Japanese crimes?

Wartime "comfort women", i.e. sex-slaves. 4 for Pete, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, and Joshua.

> 9. Stephen Harper issued an apology to Chinese-Canadians in 2006 for
> the discriminatory "head tax". The tax ended when the government
> decided simply to bar all Chinese immigrants from entering the
> country instead. Within 2 years, when did *that* happen?

1923 (accepting 1921-25). 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Calvin.

> 10. In 2010, British PM David Cameron apologized on behalf of
> the UK for what 1972 incident? Name or describe it.

"Bloody Sunday": British soldiers shot 26 unarmed protesters in
Northern Ireland, killing 13 or 14 of them. 4 for Pete, Erland,
Joshua, and Gareth.

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Literature - English-Speaking Theater

> 1. Name the play in which you'd hear the following line:
> "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a
> misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

"The Importance of Being Earnest" (by Oscar Wilde). 4 for Dan Blum,
Peter, Marc, Calvin, Joshua, and Gareth.

> 2. Charles Marlow, free and easy with servant girls, is intimidated
> by women of his own class -- so, to catch him, Kate poses as
> a maid. Name the 1773 play or its author.

"She Stoops to Conquer", by Oliver Goldsmith. 4 for Gareth.

> 3. Eugene O'Neill's most highly-regarded drama concerns some
> 16 hours in the life of the retired actor James Tyrone, his
> morphine-addicted wife, and his two sons. Name the play.

"Long Day's Journey into Night". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua,
and Gareth. 3 for Erland. 2 for Calvin.

> 4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
> Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?

"Waiting for Godot" (by Samuel Beckett). 4 for Peter, Calvin,
and Joshua.

> 5. The Puritan ban on theater ended when Charles II took the throne
> in 1660. English women could now act professionally and scripts
> were even permitted some sexual frankness. By what collective
> name are the humorous works of such playwrights as William
> Congreve, William Wycherley, and John Vanburgh best known?

Restoration comedies. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Gareth.
3 for Calvin.

> 6. Who wrote "Hay Fever", "Private Lives", and "Blithe Spirit"?

Noël Coward. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Calvin, Joshua, and Gareth.

> 7. Who wrote "White Biting Dog", "Perfect Pie", and "Palace of
> the End"?

Judith Thompson.

> 8. "She's as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile",
> says one character -- created by *which author* for his first
> play, "The Rivals"?

Richard Sheridan. (Mrs. Malaprop speaking.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Gareth.

> 9. In Shakespeare's "Othello", the person that brings about
> the protagonist's ruin professes so many different motives for
> his nastiness that ultimately none are convincing. Name this
> enigmatic malcontent.

Iago. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Jason, Joshua, and Gareth.

> 10. In 4 words, complete this quotation from "A Streetcar Named
> Desire" by Tennessee Williams: "I have always depended on..."
> On what?

"The kindness of strangers." 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete,
Dan Tilque, Jason, Calvin, Joshua, and Gareth.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Spo His Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 23 16 28 28 95
Gareth Owen 0 30 26 32 88
Dan Tilque 28 20 32 8 88
Pete Gayde 24 27 28 8 87
Dan Blum 26 10 20 28 84
"Calvin" 15 24 17 21 77
Marc Dashevsky 20 12 20 20 72
Peter Smyth 12 31 14 12 69
Erland Sommarskog 24 8 16 3 51
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 4 16
Jason Kreitzer 0 0 8 8 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "(...and partly because it's more fun to
m...@vex.net | let you think I'm insane.)" --Steve Summit

Gareth Owen

Feb 18, 2017, 8:55:51 AM2/18/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

>> 4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
>> Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?
>
> "Waiting for Godot" (by Samuel Beckett). 4 for Peter, Calvin,
> and Joshua.

D'oh!

Mark Brader

Feb 18, 2017, 7:15:31 PM2/18/17
Mark Brader:
>>> 4. "He has written a play in which nothing happens, twice."
>>> Which 1953 work was critic Vivian Mercier referring to?

Gareth Owen:
> Beckett.

>> "Waiting for Godot" (by Samuel Beckett). 4 for Peter, Calvin,
>> and Joshua.

Gareth Owen:
> D'oh!

Well, there *was* a play called "Becket", with one T; it was written
in French by Jean Anouilh and translated into English by Lucienne Hill.
In 1964 it was adapted into a movie with Richard Burton in the title
role, Peter O'Toole as King Henry II, and John Gielgud as King Louis VII
of France. I saw it in first run.

However, if the movie is anything to go by, something does happen in it.
Possibly even more than twice. :-)
--
Mark Brader | "I could be wrong."
Toronto | "Have you ever said that and actually meant it?"