RQFTCI03 Game 3 Rounds 3-4: percussion, cross-gender casting

Mark Brader

Nov 24, 2020, 3:31:42 PM11/24/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I did not write these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 2 - Arts - Percussion Instruments

The questions in this round refer to the 2-page handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/o3/2/dum.pdf

Note that some of the picture numbers are below the pictures, some
are above, some are beside, and one row of numbers seems to have
disappeared altogether! Please consider the last row of pictures
(on page 2) to be #22-24 from left to right.

For the first five questions, you will be provided with the name
of a percussion instrument. We will write it in the singular even
though there may be more than one in the corresponding picture.
Your job, of course, will be to identify the picture by number.

1. Clave (two syllables there).
2. Djembe.
3. Maraca.
4. Snare drum.
5. Sleighbell.

For questions #6-10, please decode the rot13 to see the picture
number, and name the instrument. "Drum" by itself will not be
sufficient for any answer.

6. Vqragvsl ahzore gjryir.
7. Ahzore bar vf jung?
8. Ubj nobhg sbhegrra?
9. Vafgehzrag ahzore ryrira; abgr gung vg unf zrgny xrlf.
10. Naq ahzore gjragl-bar, svanyyl.

Now, there were 12 decoys. If you like, please decode this further
rot13 to see the names of those instruments (again, in the singular)
and in each case give the picture number for fun, but for no points.

11. Puvzr.
12. Svatre plzony.
13. Pbjoryy.
14. Gevnatyr.
15. Onff qehz.
16. Obatb.
17. Engpurg.
18. Gvzonyr.
19. Gvzcnav be xrggyr qehz.
20. Jnfuobneq.
21. Thveb.
22. Pnfnon (be nshpur be nsbkr).
23. Ryrpgebavp qehz xvg.
24. Gnzobhevar.

* Game 3, Round 3 - Entertainment - Casting Against Gender

This round deals with movies in which women have been cast as men,
and vice versa. The same movie may be mentioned more than once.

1. Which voluptuous actress was cast as King Zog of Albania in a
segment of the 1987 film "Aria" that was directed by her husband,
Nicholas Roeg?

2. In "Orlando", based on the book by Virginia Woolf, the title
character mysteriously changes sex from male to female.
Who portrays Orlando?

3. <answer 2> was not the only person playing a character of the
opposite sex in "Orlando". This occasional actor, better known
for his flamboyant personality and well-received autobiography,
was in his 80s when he took on the role of Queen Elizabeth I.
Name him.

4. In which 1959 movie did Peter Sellers play Tully Bascombe,
Prime Minister Count Mountjoy, and Grand Duchess Gloriana XII?

5. Which actress played an Asian man in "The Year of Living
Dangerously" in 1982, despite being neither male nor Asian?

6. Peter Pan was played by which woman in three TV-movies, in 1955,
1956, and 1960?

7. In the 2002 film "Nicholas Nickelby", the role of Mrs. Crummles
is played by Australian actor Barry Humphries, who also """has"""
a regular gig playing a more famous female character. Name this
*other* character.

8. Which actor played eight roles in the 1949 movie "Kind Hearts
and Coronets", one of them, Lady Agatha, being female?

9. In a 1989 time-travel flick, the same actor plays a man, his son,
and his daughter Marlene. Name the actor.

10. We may be cheating a little on this question, but in which 1982
movie did John Lithgow play a male-to-female transsexual?
--
Mark Brader | "What a strange field. Studying beings instead of mathematics.
Toronto | Could lead to recursive problems in logic."

Pete Gayde

Nov 24, 2020, 5:32:13 PM11/24/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:E5WdnQalkZ418CDCnZ2dnUU7-
KnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Arts - Percussion Instruments
>
> The questions in this round refer to the 2-page handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/o3/2/dum.pdf
>
> Note that some of the picture numbers are below the pictures, some
> are above, some are beside, and one row of numbers seems to have
> disappeared altogether! Please consider the last row of pictures
> (on page 2) to be #22-24 from left to right.
>
> For the first five questions, you will be provided with the name
> of a percussion instrument. We will write it in the singular even
> though there may be more than one in the corresponding picture.
> Your job, of course, will be to identify the picture by number.
>
> 1. Clave (two syllables there).

18

> 2. Djembe.

24

6

9

> 5. Sleighbell.

19

> For questions #6-10, please decode the rot13 to see the picture
> number, and name the instrument. "Drum" by itself will not be
> sufficient for any answer.
>
> 6. Vqragvsl ahzore gjryir.

Gong

> 7. Ahzore bar vf jung?

Spoons

> 8. Ubj nobhg sbhegrra?

Congas

> 9. Vafgehzrag ahzore ryrira; abgr gung vg unf zrgny xrlf.

Xylophone

> 10. Naq ahzore gjragl-bar, svanyyl.

Irish drum

> Now, there were 12 decoys. If you like, please decode this further
> rot13 to see the names of those instruments (again, in the singular)
> and in each case give the picture number for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Puvzr.

15

> 12. Svatre plzony.

20

5

> 14. Gevnatyr.

17

> 15. Onff qehz.

22

2

> 17. Engpurg.

10

> 18. Gvzonyr.

13

> 19. Gvzcnav be xrggyr qehz.

16

3

4

7

> 23. Ryrpgebavp qehz xvg.

23

8

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Entertainment - Casting Against Gender
>
> This round deals with movies in which women have been cast as men,
> and vice versa. The same movie may be mentioned more than once.
>
> 1. Which voluptuous actress was cast as King Zog of Albania in a
> segment of the 1987 film "Aria" that was directed by her husband,
> Nicholas Roeg?
>
> 2. In "Orlando", based on the book by Virginia Woolf, the title
> character mysteriously changes sex from male to female.
> Who portrays Orlando?
>
> 3. <answer 2> was not the only person playing a character of the
> opposite sex in "Orlando". This occasional actor, better known
> for his flamboyant personality and well-received autobiography,
> was in his 80s when he took on the role of Queen Elizabeth I.
> Name him.
>
> 4. In which 1959 movie did Peter Sellers play Tully Bascombe,
> Prime Minister Count Mountjoy, and Grand Duchess Gloriana XII?
>
> 5. Which actress played an Asian man in "The Year of Living
> Dangerously" in 1982, despite being neither male nor Asian?

Haing Ngor

> 6. Peter Pan was played by which woman in three TV-movies, in 1955,
> 1956, and 1960?

Mary Martin

> 7. In the 2002 film "Nicholas Nickelby", the role of Mrs. Crummles
> is played by Australian actor Barry Humphries, who also """has"""
> a regular gig playing a more famous female character. Name this
> *other* character.

Dame Edna Everedge

> 8. Which actor played eight roles in the 1949 movie "Kind Hearts
> and Coronets", one of them, Lady Agatha, being female?
>
> 9. In a 1989 time-travel flick, the same actor plays a man, his son,
> and his daughter Marlene. Name the actor.
>
> 10. We may be cheating a little on this question, but in which 1982
> movie did John Lithgow play a male-to-female transsexual?

Pete Gayde

Dan Blum

Nov 24, 2020, 6:00:31 PM11/24/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Arts - Percussion Instruments

> 1. Clave (two syllables there).

15; 7

> 2. Djembe.

14; 4

6

> 4. Snare drum.

13

> 5. Sleighbell.

19

> 6. Vqragvsl ahzore gjryir.

gong

> 7. Ahzore bar vf jung?

spoons

> 9. Vafgehzrag ahzore ryrira; abgr gung vg unf zrgny xrlf.

glockenspiel

> 10. Naq ahzore gjragl-bar, svanyyl.

bodhran

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Entertainment - Casting Against Gender

> 1. Which voluptuous actress was cast as King Zog of Albania in a
> segment of the 1987 film "Aria" that was directed by her husband,
> Nicholas Roeg?

Theresa Russell

> 2. In "Orlando", based on the book by Virginia Woolf, the title
> character mysteriously changes sex from male to female.
> Who portrays Orlando?

Tilda Swinton

> 4. In which 1959 movie did Peter Sellers play Tully Bascombe,
> Prime Minister Count Mountjoy, and Grand Duchess Gloriana XII?

Being There

> 5. Which actress played an Asian man in "The Year of Living
> Dangerously" in 1982, despite being neither male nor Asian?

Linda Hunt

> 6. Peter Pan was played by which woman in three TV-movies, in 1955,
> 1956, and 1960?

Mary Martin

> 7. In the 2002 film "Nicholas Nickelby", the role of Mrs. Crummles
> is played by Australian actor Barry Humphries, who also """has"""
> a regular gig playing a more famous female character. Name this
> *other* character.

Dame Edna

> 8. Which actor played eight roles in the 1949 movie "Kind Hearts
> and Coronets", one of them, Lady Agatha, being female?

Alec Guinness

> 9. In a 1989 time-travel flick, the same actor plays a man, his son,
> and his daughter Marlene. Name the actor.

Michael J. Fox

> 10. We may be cheating a little on this question, but in which 1982
> movie did John Lithgow play a male-to-female transsexual?

The World According to Garp

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 25, 2020, 12:47:43 AM11/25/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:E5WdnQalkZ418CDCnZ2dnUU7-
KnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Arts - Percussion Instruments
>
> The questions in this round refer to the 2-page handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/o3/2/dum.pdf
>
> For the first five questions, you will be provided with the name
> of a percussion instrument. We will write it in the singular even
> though there may be more than one in the corresponding picture.
> Your job, of course, will be to identify the picture by number.
>
> 1. Clave (two syllables there).

15; 19

4

6

> 4. Snare drum.

9; 2

1

> For questions #6-10, please decode the rot13 to see the picture
> number, and name the instrument. "Drum" by itself will not be
> sufficient for any answer.
>
> 6. Vqragvsl ahzore gjryir.

cymbal

> 9. Vafgehzrag ahzore ryrira; abgr gung vg unf zrgny xrlf.

glockenspiel

> Now, there were 12 decoys. If you like, please decode this further
> rot13 to see the names of those instruments (again, in the singular)
> and in each case give the picture number for fun, but for no points.
>
> 12. Svatre plzony.

20

5

> 14. Gevnatyr.

17

> 20. Jnfuobneq.

3
.
> 23. Ryrpgebavp qehz xvg.

23

8

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Entertainment - Casting Against Gender
>
> This round deals with movies in which women have been cast as men,
> and vice versa. The same movie may be mentioned more than once.
>
> 1. Which voluptuous actress was cast as King Zog of Albania in a
> segment of the 1987 film "Aria" that was directed by her husband,
> Nicholas Roeg?

Theresa Russell

> 2. In "Orlando", based on the book by Virginia Woolf, the title
> character mysteriously changes sex from male to female.
> Who portrays Orlando?

Tilda Swinton

> 3. <answer 2> was not the only person playing a character of the
> opposite sex in "Orlando". This occasional actor, better known
> for his flamboyant personality and well-received autobiography,
> was in his 80s when he took on the role of Queen Elizabeth I.
> Name him.

Quentin Crisp

> 4. In which 1959 movie did Peter Sellers play Tully Bascombe,
> Prime Minister Count Mountjoy, and Grand Duchess Gloriana XII?

"The Mouse That Roared"; "The Mouse Who Roared"

> 5. Which actress played an Asian man in "The Year of Living
> Dangerously" in 1982, despite being neither male nor Asian?

Linda Hunt

> 6. Peter Pan was played by which woman in three TV-movies, in 1955,
> 1956, and 1960?

Mary Martin

> 7. In the 2002 film "Nicholas Nickelby", the role of Mrs. Crummles
> is played by Australian actor Barry Humphries, who also """has"""
> a regular gig playing a more famous female character. Name this
> *other* character.

Dame Edna Everage

> 8. Which actor played eight roles in the 1949 movie "Kind Hearts
> and Coronets", one of them, Lady Agatha, being female?

Alec Guinness

> 9. In a 1989 time-travel flick, the same actor plays a man, his son,
> and his daughter Marlene. Name the actor.

Michael J. Fox

> 10. We may be cheating a little on this question, but in which 1982
> movie did John Lithgow play a male-to-female transsexual?

"The World According to Garp"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Nov 25, 2020, 11:56:55 AM11/25/20
On 11/24/20 12:31 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Arts - Percussion Instruments
>
> The questions in this round refer to the 2-page handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/o3/2/dum.pdf
>
> Note that some of the picture numbers are below the pictures, some
> are above, some are beside, and one row of numbers seems to have
> disappeared altogether! Please consider the last row of pictures
> (on page 2) to be #22-24 from left to right.
>
> For the first five questions, you will be provided with the name
> of a percussion instrument. We will write it in the singular even
> though there may be more than one in the corresponding picture.
> Your job, of course, will be to identify the picture by number.
>
> 1. Clave (two syllables there).
> 2. Djembe.
> 3. Maraca.

20

> 4. Snare drum.

13

> 5. Sleighbell.

19

> For questions #6-10, please decode the rot13 to see the picture
> number, and name the instrument. "Drum" by itself will not be
> sufficient for any answer.
>
> 6. Vqragvsl ahzore gjryir.
> 7. Ahzore bar vf jung?
> 8. Ubj nobhg sbhegrra?
> 9. Vafgehzrag ahzore ryrira; abgr gung vg unf zrgny xrlf.
> 10. Naq ahzore gjragl-bar, svanyyl.

bass drum
The Mouse that Roared

> 5. Which actress played an Asian man in "The Year of Living
> Dangerously" in 1982, despite being neither male nor Asian?
>
> 6. Peter Pan was played by which woman in three TV-movies, in 1955,
> 1956, and 1960?
>
> 7. In the 2002 film "Nicholas Nickelby", the role of Mrs. Crummles
> is played by Australian actor Barry Humphries, who also """has"""
> a regular gig playing a more famous female character. Name this
> *other* character.
>
> 8. Which actor played eight roles in the 1949 movie "Kind Hearts
> and Coronets", one of them, Lady Agatha, being female?
>
> 9. In a 1989 time-travel flick, the same actor plays a man, his son,
> and his daughter Marlene. Name the actor.
>
> 10. We may be cheating a little on this question, but in which 1982
> movie did John Lithgow play a male-to-female transsexual?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 25, 2020, 2:32:55 PM11/25/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 2 - Arts - Percussion Instruments
>
> 1. Clave (two syllables there).

15

4

6

9

> 5. Sleighbell.

19

> 6. Vqragvsl ahzore gjryir.

Gong

> 7. Ahzore bar vf jung?

Nutcracker

> 8. Ubj nobhg sbhegrra?

Congas

> 9. Vafgehzrag ahzore ryrira; abgr gung vg unf zrgny xrlf.

Vibraphone

> 10. Naq ahzore gjragl-bar, svanyyl.

Bodhran

> 11. Puvzr.
> 12. Svatre plzony.

20

5

> 14. Gevnatyr.

15

> 15. Onff qehz.

22

2

7

> 18. Gvzonyr.

24

> 19. Gvzcnav be xrggyr qehz.

16

3

> 21. Thveb.

10

> 22. Pnfnon (be nshpur be nsbkr).

13

Mark Brader

Nov 27, 2020, 10:00:03 PM11/27/20
Mark Brader:

#18. (That's not a wiener in the right hand, it's a striker.
The clave is in the left hand.) 4 for Pete.

#24 (so to speak). 4 for Pete.

#6. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

#9. 4 for Pete and Erland. 3 for Joshua.

#19. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> For questions #6-10, please decode the rot13 to see the picture
> number, and name the instrument. "Drum" by itself will not be
> sufficient for any answer.

> 6. Identify number twelve.

(Chinese or Oriental) gong. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> 7. Number one is what?

Spoon. 4 for Pete and Dan Blum.

> 8. How about fourteen?

Conga. 4 for Pete and Erland.

> 9. Instrument number eleven; note that it has metal keys.

Vibraphone or vibraharp. 4 for Erland.

> 10. And number twenty-one, finally.

Bodhran (or Irish or Celtic drum -- both words required -- but not
accepting Murphy's Irish stout!). 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, and Erland.

#15. Pete got this.

#20. Pete, Joshua, and Erland got this.

#5. Pete, Joshua, and Erland got this.

#17. Pete and Joshua got this.

#22 (so to speak). Pete and Erland got this.

#2. Pete and Erland got this.

#10. Pete got this.

In 2008 I didn't give people the opportunity to try the decoys,
but I listed them in the answers posting that time around, and
in that list I said this was #19. Obviously not, since #19 is
the sleighbell. Fixed now.

#13. Pete got this.

#16. Pete and Erland got this.

#3. Pete, Joshua, and Erland got this.

#4. Pete got this.

#7. Pete got this.

#23 (so to speak). Pete, Joshua, and Erland got this.

#8. Pete, Joshua, and Erland got this.

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Entertainment - Casting Against Gender

> This round deals with movies in which women have been cast as men,
> and vice versa. The same movie may be mentioned more than once.

> 1. Which voluptuous actress was cast as King Zog of Albania in a
> segment of the 1987 film "Aria" that was directed by her husband,
> Nicholas Roeg?

Theresa Russell. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. In "Orlando", based on the book by Virginia Woolf, the title
> character mysteriously changes sex from male to female.
> Who portrays Orlando?

Tilda Swinton. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. <answer 2> was not the only person playing a character of the
> opposite sex in "Orlando". This occasional actor, better known
> for his flamboyant personality and well-received autobiography,
> was in his 80s when he took on the role of Queen Elizabeth I.
> Name him.

Quentin Crisp. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. In which 1959 movie did Peter Sellers play Tully Bascombe,
> Prime Minister Count Mountjoy, and Grand Duchess Gloriana XII?

"The Mouse That Roared". I accepted "The Mouse Who Roared" as
close enough. So, 4 for Joshua (the hard way) and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Which actress played an Asian man in "The Year of Living
> Dangerously" in 1982, despite being neither male nor Asian?

Linda Hunt. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 6. Peter Pan was played by which woman in three TV-movies, in 1955,
> 1956, and 1960?

Mary Martin. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 7. In the 2002 film "Nicholas Nickelby", the role of Mrs. Crummles
> is played by Australian actor Barry Humphries, who also """has"""
> a regular gig playing a more famous female character. Name this
> *other* character.

Dame Edna Everage. ("Dame Edna" or "Edna Everage" was sufficient.
I'm not sure whether he's still playing the character or not.)
4 for Pete, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 8. Which actor played eight roles in the 1949 movie "Kind Hearts
> and Coronets", one of them, Lady Agatha, being female?

Sir Alec Guinness. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. In a 1989 time-travel flick, the same actor plays a man, his son,
> and his daughter Marlene. Name the actor.

Michael J. Fox (in "Back to the Future Part II"). 4 for Dan Blum
and Joshua.

> 10. We may be cheating a little on this question, but in which 1982
> movie did John Lithgow play a male-to-female transsexual?

"The World According to Garp". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Art Ent
Dan Blum 20 32 52
Joshua Kreitzer 7 40 47
Pete Gayde 36 8 44
Erland Sommarskog 28 0 28
Dan Tilque 4 4 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Domine, defende nos
m...@vex.net | Contra hos stupidos DOS!" -- after A. D. Godley