Calvin's Quiz #501

Calvin

Aug 29, 2017, 11:25:00 PM8/29/17

1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays "The Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?
2 What connects Namib, Thar and Strzelecki?
3 Name any one of the three "Earth" signs, according to traditional astrology.
4 According to an index invented by economist George Taylor in 1926, what happens to women's clothing when the stock market rises?
5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?
6 On TV, who collectively were Sabrina, Kelly and Jill?
7 Which classical composer's 'Ode to Joy' is the anthem of the European Union?
8 In part III of Gulliver's Travels, the hero visits Laputa, Balnibarbi, Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib, and which real life country?
9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?
10 Which famous document begins "When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another…"?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 30, 2017, 12:09:35 AM8/30/17
"Calvin":
> 1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays
> "The Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?

Sheridan.

> 2 What connects Namib, Thar and Strzelecki?

Well, one of them is 5/7 of a country name and the other two aren't...

> 3 Name any one of the three "Earth" signs, according to
> traditional astrology.

Taurus?

> 4 According to an index invented by economist George Taylor in
> 1926, what happens to women's clothing when the stock market
> rises?

So do hemlines.

> 5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

Smoothly.

> 6 On TV, who collectively were Sabrina, Kelly and Jill?

Charlie's (original) Angels.

> 7 Which classical composer's 'Ode to Joy' is the anthem of
> the European Union?

Beethoven composed the music. I don't know if the lyrics are part of
the anthem, but I think they were written by Schiller.

> 8 In part III of Gulliver's Travels, the hero visits Laputa,
> Balnibarbi, Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib, and which real life
> country?

Got me. Fiji?

> 9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?

Florence.

> 10 Which famous document begins "When, in the course of human
> events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the
> political bonds which have connected them with another..."?

The USA's Declaration of Independence.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Thus, "plain english" is the same as
m...@vex.net | "near-field spin". --Carl Ginnow

Dan Blum

Aug 30, 2017, 12:28:05 AM8/30/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays "The Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?

Sheridan

> 2 What connects Namib, Thar and Strzelecki?

they are all deserts

> 3 Name any one of the three "Earth" signs, according to traditional astrology.

Taurus

> 4 According to an index invented by economist George Taylor in 1926, what happens to women's clothing when the stock market rises?

hemlines rise

> 5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

slowly

> 6 On TV, who collectively were Sabrina, Kelly and Jill?

Charlie's Angels

> 7 Which classical composer's 'Ode to?Joy' is the anthem of the European Union?

Beethoven

> 9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?

Florence

> 10 Which famous document begins "When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another?"?

The (American) Declaration of Independence

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 30, 2017, 3:25:41 AM8/30/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays "The
> Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?

Lord Byron

> 4 According to an index invented by economist George Taylor in 1926,
> what happens to women's clothing when the stock market rises?

Skirts get shorter

> 5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

Binding

> 7 Which classical composer's 'Ode to Joy' is the anthem of the
> European Union?

Ludwig van Beethoven

> 9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?

Firenze (I.e, Florence for the Italian-impaired.)

Peter Smyth

Aug 30, 2017, 8:59:43 AM8/30/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays "The
> Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?
>
> 2 What connects Namib, Thar and Strzelecki?
Deserts
> 3 Name any one of the three "Earth" signs, according to traditional
> astrology.
Aries
> 4 According to an index invented by economist George Taylor in 1926,
> what happens to women's clothing when the stock market rises?
Skirts get shorter
> 5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?
Flowing
> 6 On TV, who collectively were Sabrina, Kelly and Jill?
>
> 7 Which classical composer's 'Ode to Joy' is the anthem of the European
> Union?
Beethoven
> 8 In part III of Gulliver's Travels, the hero visits Laputa, Balnibarbi,
> Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib, and which real life country?
>
> 9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?
Florence
> 10 Which famous document begins "When, in the course of human events, it
> becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which
> have connected them with another…"?
US Declaration of Independence

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 30, 2017, 11:05:17 AM8/30/17
In article <954689c3-6e8a-4ff4...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays "The Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?
> 2 What connects Namib, Thar and Strzelecki?
> 3 Name any one of the three "Earth" signs, according to traditional astrology.
> 4 According to an index invented by economist George Taylor in 1926, what happens to women's clothing when the stock market rises?
shorter skirts

> 5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?
smoothly

> 6 On TV, who collectively were Sabrina, Kelly and Jill?
> 7 Which classical composer's 'Ode to Joy' is the anthem of the European Union?
Bach

> 8 In part III of Gulliver's Travels, the hero visits Laputa, Balnibarbi, Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib, and which real life country?
> 9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?
Florence

> 10 Which famous document begins "When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another?"?
U.S. Declaration of Independence

Dan Tilque

Aug 30, 2017, 9:45:04 PM8/30/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays "The Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?

Thomas Morton

> 2 What connects Namib, Thar and Strzelecki?

desert

> 3 Name any one of the three "Earth" signs, according to traditional astrology.

Taurus

> 4 According to an index invented by economist George Taylor in 1926, what happens to women's clothing when the stock market rises?

hemlines go up

> 5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?
> 6 On TV, who collectively were Sabrina, Kelly and Jill?

teenage witches

> 7 Which classical composer's 'Ode to Joy' is the anthem of the European Union?

Beethoven

> 8 In part III of Gulliver's Travels, the hero visits Laputa, Balnibarbi, Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib, and which real life country?

Japan

> 9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?
> 10 Which famous document begins "When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another…"?

US Declaration of Independence (and it's "bands", not "bonds")

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Aug 31, 2017, 3:02:18 PM8/31/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays "The
> Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?
> 2 What connects Namib, Thar and Strzelecki?

German West Africa

> 3 Name any one of the three "Earth" signs,
> according to traditional astrology.

Pisces

> 4 According to an index
> invented by economist George Taylor in 1926, what happens to women's
> clothing when the stock market rises?

Hemlines go up

> 5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

Flowing

> 6 On TV, who
> collectively were Sabrina, Kelly and Jill?

Charlie's Angels

> 7 Which classical
> composer's 'Ode to Joy' is the anthem of the European Union?

Beethoven

> 8 In
> part III of Gulliver's Travels, the hero visits Laputa, Balnibarbi,
> Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib, and which real life country?

Portugal

> 9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?

Florence

> 10 Which famous
> document begins "When, in the course of human events, it becomes
> necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have
> connected them with another…"?

U.S. Declaration of Independence

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

Aug 31, 2017, 3:46:52 PM8/31/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays "The
> Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?

Sheridan

> 2 What connects Namib, Thar and Strzelecki?

Unacceptable in scrabble

> 3 Name any one of the three "Earth" signs, according to traditional
> astrology.

Taurus???

> 4 According to an index invented by economist George Taylor in 1926,
> what happens to women's clothing when the stock market rises?

Knickers come down

> 5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

Smoothly

> 6 On TV, who collectively were Sabrina, Kelly and Jill?

Charlie's Angels

> 7 Which classical composer's 'Ode to Joy' is the anthem of the
> European Union?

Beethoven

> 8 In part III of Gulliver's Travels, the hero visits Laputa,
> Balnibarbi, Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib, and which real life country?

Canada

> 9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?

Florence

> 10 Which famous document begins "When, in the course of human events,
> it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds
> which have connected them with another…"?

US Declaration of Independence

Calvin

Sep 5, 2017, 7:15:21 PM9/5/17
On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 1:25:00 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which British poet and MP (1751-1816) also wrote the plays "The Rivals" and "The School for Scandal"?

Richard Sheridan

> 2 What connects Namib, Thar and Strzelecki?

All are deserts

> 3 Name any one of the three "Earth" signs, according to traditional astrology.

Taurus, Virgo or Capricorn

> 4 According to an index invented by economist George Taylor in 1926, what happens to women's clothing when the stock market rises?

Skirts / Hemlines rise

> 5 Legato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

Smoothly / Flowing or similar

> 6 On TV, who collectively were Sabrina, Kelly and Jill?

Charlie's Angels

> 7 Which classical composer's 'Ode to Joy' is the anthem of the European Union?

Ludwig van Beethoven

> 8 In part III of Gulliver's Travels, the hero visits Laputa, Balnibarbi, Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib, and which real life country?

Japan
Singleton for Dan T

> 9 The Uffizi art gallery is located in which Italian city?

Florence / Firenze

> 10 Which famous document begins "When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another…"?

[US] Declaration of Independence

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 501
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 49 Dan Blum
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 46 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 39 Gareth Owen
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 6 29 Dan Tilque