QFTCICR19 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: Movies on Movies, GG & G's

Mark Brader

Feb 21, 2019, 1:52:17 AM2/21/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Movies about Movies

In each cases name the movie described. All are fiction (or
fictionalizations), no documentaries.

1. 1952: Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly. Silent-era stars try to
make a talkie.

2. 2017: James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Jackie Weaver.
A behind-the-scenes look at the making of perhaps the worst
movie ever.

3. 1994: Johhny Depp, Sarah Jessica Parker. A transvestite movie
director works with Bela Lugosi.

4. 1997: Julianne Moore, Mark Wahlberg. The rise and fall of a
porn star.

5. 1981: Meryl Streep, Jeremey Irons. A story of a Victorian
paleontologist and a troubled young woman is being filmed in
the current era -- with an actor and actress whose situation
parallels the characters'.

6. 2008: Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise cameo. A group
of prima-donna actors are making a Vietnam war movie.

7. 2002: Meryl Streep, Nicolas Cage, Chris Cooper. This metafilm
was written by Charlie Kaufman, based on a book called "The
Orchid Thief".

8. 2013: Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks. The story centers on the
development of "Mary Poppins" from a book to a movie.
Walt Disney meets with P.L. Travers, the author.

9. 1995: John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo. A loan shark's
muscle man goes to collect a debt from a B-movie producer --
which leads to a movie being produced.

10. 1997: Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Kirsten Dunst. A spin
doctor and a Hollywood producer fabricate a war to distract
voters, and get more than they bargained for.

* Game 3, Round 6 - Canadiana Literature - GG&G Winners

We'll tell you the author and the year of the award, and give you
a brief synopsis. You name the prize-winning novel.

Answers #1-5 are all Governor General's Literary Award winners.

1. Sarah Henstra, 2018: A smart, dark look at rape culture and
the extremes to which ideology can go.

2. Michael Ondaatje, 2000: The destruction of innocent lives haunts
the title character, driving her to identify the victim and
killer.

3. David Gilmour, 2005: A father makes a casual error of judgement,
and leaves his 6-year-old son alone for 15 minutes.

4. Nino Ricco, 2008: Set in Montreal in 1986, a researcher is
working on his Ph.D., trying to connect Darwin's theories to
a greater theory of life.

5. Lina Spalding, 2012: A ex-Quaker family moves to Virginia and
buys a slave, setting in motion a chain of events.

And #6-10 are all Giller Prize winners.

6. Linden MacIntyre, 2009: A Catholic priest who quickly and
quietly resolves church scandals must relocate himself to Cape
Breton Island.

7. Austin Clarke, 2002: Set in 1950's Barbados, the novel is a
confession of a crime, involving a sugar plantation owner,
and a field laborer who is also his mistress.

8. Elizabeth Hay, 2007: The novel chronicles the author's
experiences as a CBC Radio journalist, in Yellowknife, NWT.
Four friends make a trek across frozen territory.

9. Esi Edugyan, 2018: The story follows the early life of a young
man who has escaped from slavery, and his subsequent adventures.

10. Madeleine Thien, 2016: The story follows an extended family
in China, through Mao's Cultural Revolution, and those who
lived through Tiananmen Square.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto / "A computer makes it possible to do, in half an hour,
m...@vex.net / tasks which were completely unnecessary to do before."

Dan Blum

Feb 21, 2019, 11:34:48 AM2/21/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Movies about Movies

> 1. 1952: Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly. Silent-era stars try to
> make a talkie.

Singin' in the Rain

> 2. 2017: James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Jackie Weaver.
> A behind-the-scenes look at the making of perhaps the worst
> movie ever.

The Room

> 3. 1994: Johhny Depp, Sarah Jessica Parker. A transvestite movie
> director works with Bela Lugosi.

Ed Wood

> 4. 1997: Julianne Moore, Mark Wahlberg. The rise and fall of a
> porn star.

Boogie Nights

> 6. 2008: Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise cameo. A group
> of prima-donna actors are making a Vietnam war movie.

Tropic Thunder

> 7. 2002: Meryl Streep, Nicolas Cage, Chris Cooper. This metafilm
> was written by Charlie Kaufman, based on a book called "The
> Orchid Thief".

Adaptation

> 9. 1995: John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo. A loan shark's
> muscle man goes to collect a debt from a B-movie producer --
> which leads to a movie being produced.

Get Shorty

> 10. 1997: Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Kirsten Dunst. A spin
> doctor and a Hollywood producer fabricate a war to distract
> voters, and get more than they bargained for.

Wag the Dog

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 21, 2019, 2:31:39 PM2/21/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Movies about Movies
>
> 2. 2017: James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Jackie Weaver.
> A behind-the-scenes look at the making of perhaps the worst
> movie ever.

Snakes on a Plane

> 5. 1981: Meryl Streep, Jeremey Irons. A story of a Victorian
> paleontologist and a troubled young woman is being filmed in
> the current era -- with an actor and actress whose situation
> parallels the characters'.

The French Lieutenant's Woman

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Canadiana Literature - GG&G Winners

Geee! No, I think I pass.

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 21, 2019, 9:48:08 PM2/21/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:pcCdndpInYAB1_PBnZ2dnUU7-
b3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Movies about Movies
>
> In each cases name the movie described. All are fiction (or
> fictionalizations), no documentaries.
>
> 1. 1952: Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly. Silent-era stars try to
> make a talkie.

"Singin' in the Rain"

> 2. 2017: James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Jackie Weaver.
> A behind-the-scenes look at the making of perhaps the worst
> movie ever.

"The Disaster Artist"

> 3. 1994: Johhny Depp, Sarah Jessica Parker. A transvestite movie
> director works with Bela Lugosi.

"Ed Wood"

> 4. 1997: Julianne Moore, Mark Wahlberg. The rise and fall of a
> porn star.

"Boogie Nights"

> 5. 1981: Meryl Streep, Jeremey Irons. A story of a Victorian
> paleontologist and a troubled young woman is being filmed in
> the current era -- with an actor and actress whose situation
> parallels the characters'.

"The French Lieutenant's Woman"

> 6. 2008: Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise cameo. A group
> of prima-donna actors are making a Vietnam war movie.

"Tropic Thunder"

> 7. 2002: Meryl Streep, Nicolas Cage, Chris Cooper. This metafilm
> was written by Charlie Kaufman, based on a book called "The
> Orchid Thief".

"Adaptation"

> 8. 2013: Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks. The story centers on the
> development of "Mary Poppins" from a book to a movie.
> Walt Disney meets with P.L. Travers, the author.

"Saving Mr. Banks"

> 9. 1995: John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo. A loan shark's
> muscle man goes to collect a debt from a B-movie producer --
> which leads to a movie being produced.

"Get Shorty"

> 10. 1997: Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Kirsten Dunst. A spin
> doctor and a Hollywood producer fabricate a war to distract
> voters, and get more than they bargained for.

"Wag the Dog"

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Canadiana Literature - GG&G Winners
>
> We'll tell you the author and the year of the award, and give you
> a brief synopsis. You name the prize-winning novel.

No answers in this round.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Feb 21, 2019, 11:16:08 PM2/21/19
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 4:52:17 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Movies about Movies
>
> In each cases name the movie described. All are fiction (or
> fictionalizations), no documentaries.
>
> 1. 1952: Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly. Silent-era stars try to
> make a talkie.

The Jazz Singer

> 2. 2017: James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Jackie Weaver.
> A behind-the-scenes look at the making of perhaps the worst
> movie ever.
>
> 3. 1994: Johhny Depp, Sarah Jessica Parker. A transvestite movie
> director works with Bela Lugosi.
>
> 4. 1997: Julianne Moore, Mark Wahlberg. The rise and fall of a
> porn star.
>
> 5. 1981: Meryl Streep, Jeremey Irons. A story of a Victorian
> paleontologist and a troubled young woman is being filmed in
> the current era -- with an actor and actress whose situation
> parallels the characters'.
>
> 6. 2008: Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise cameo. A group
> of prima-donna actors are making a Vietnam war movie.

Tropic Thunder

> 7. 2002: Meryl Streep, Nicolas Cage, Chris Cooper. This metafilm
> was written by Charlie Kaufman, based on a book called "The
> Orchid Thief".
>
> 8. 2013: Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks. The story centers on the
> development of "Mary Poppins" from a book to a movie.
> Walt Disney meets with P.L. Travers, the author.
>
> 9. 1995: John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo. A loan shark's
> muscle man goes to collect a debt from a B-movie producer --
> which leads to a movie being produced.
>
> 10. 1997: Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Kirsten Dunst. A spin
> doctor and a Hollywood producer fabricate a war to distract
> voters, and get more than they bargained for.

Wag the Dog

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Canadiana Literature - GG&G Winners

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Feb 23, 2019, 9:28:53 AM2/23/19
The Usual Suspects

> 10. 1997: Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Kirsten Dunst. A spin
> doctor and a Hollywood producer fabricate a war to distract
> voters, and get more than they bargained for.

Wag the Dog
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Feb 23, 2019, 4:39:14 PM2/23/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:pcCdndpInYAB1_PBnZ2dnUU7-
b3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Movies about Movies
>
> In each cases name the movie described. All are fiction (or
> fictionalizations), no documentaries.
>
> 1. 1952: Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly. Silent-era stars try to
> make a talkie.

Singing in the Rain

> 2. 2017: James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Jackie Weaver.
> A behind-the-scenes look at the making of perhaps the worst
> movie ever.
>
> 3. 1994: Johhny Depp, Sarah Jessica Parker. A transvestite movie
> director works with Bela Lugosi.
>
> 4. 1997: Julianne Moore, Mark Wahlberg. The rise and fall of a
> porn star.
>
> 5. 1981: Meryl Streep, Jeremey Irons. A story of a Victorian
> paleontologist and a troubled young woman is being filmed in
> the current era -- with an actor and actress whose situation
> parallels the characters'.
>
> 6. 2008: Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise cameo. A group
> of prima-donna actors are making a Vietnam war movie.
>
> 7. 2002: Meryl Streep, Nicolas Cage, Chris Cooper. This metafilm
> was written by Charlie Kaufman, based on a book called "The
> Orchid Thief".
>
> 8. 2013: Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks. The story centers on the
> development of "Mary Poppins" from a book to a movie.
> Walt Disney meets with P.L. Travers, the author.

Saving Mr. Banks

> 9. 1995: John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo. A loan shark's
> muscle man goes to collect a debt from a B-movie producer --
> which leads to a movie being produced.
>
> 10. 1997: Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Kirsten Dunst. A spin
> doctor and a Hollywood producer fabricate a war to distract
> voters, and get more than they bargained for.

Wagging the Dog

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2019, 1:28:57 AM2/25/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.
> ...I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

The delay was not caused by forgetting that I had changed the interval
back to 3 days, but by failure to count to 3 correctly. Sorry!

> ...For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Movies about Movies

> In each cases name the movie described. All are fiction (or
> fictionalizations), no documentaries.

> 1. 1952: Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly. Silent-era stars try to
> make a talkie.

"Singin' in the Rain". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. 2017: James Franco, Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Jackie Weaver.
> A behind-the-scenes look at the making of perhaps the worst
> movie ever.

"The Disaster Artist". 4 for Joshua.

The "perhaps worst ever" movie in question would be Tommy Wiseau's
"The Room" (2003) -- not to be confused with "Room" (2015),
an Oscar nominee for Best Picture. No points for giving "Room"
as your answer, though!

> 3. 1994: Johhny Depp, Sarah Jessica Parker. A transvestite movie
> director works with Bela Lugosi.

"Ed Wood". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

This one features the making of another "perhaps the worst movie ever"
candidate: "Plan Nine from Outer Space" (1959).

> 4. 1997: Julianne Moore, Mark Wahlberg. The rise and fall of a
> porn star.

"Boogie Nights". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. 1981: Meryl Streep, Jeremey Irons. A story of a Victorian
> paleontologist and a troubled young woman is being filmed in
> the current era -- with an actor and actress whose situation
> parallels the characters'.

"The French Lieutenant's Woman". 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> 6. 2008: Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise cameo. A group
> of prima-donna actors are making a Vietnam war movie.

"Tropic Thunder". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 7. 2002: Meryl Streep, Nicolas Cage, Chris Cooper. This metafilm
> was written by Charlie Kaufman, based on a book called "The
> Orchid Thief".

"Adaptation." 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. 2013: Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks. The story centers on the
> development of "Mary Poppins" from a book to a movie.
> Walt Disney meets with P.L. Travers, the author.

"Saving Mr. Banks". 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 9. 1995: John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo. A loan shark's
> muscle man goes to collect a debt from a B-movie producer --
> which leads to a movie being produced.

"Get Shorty". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. 1997: Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Kirsten Dunst. A spin
> doctor and a Hollywood producer fabricate a war to distract
> voters, and get more than they bargained for.

"Wag the Dog". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Pete.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Canadiana Literature - GG&G Winners

> We'll tell you the author and the year of the award, and give you
> a brief synopsis. You name the prize-winning novel.

Even in the original game, this was the hardest round, so I had a good
idea of what to expect here -- once again this round never happened.

> Answers #1-5 are all Governor General's Literary Award winners.

> 1. Sarah Henstra, 2018: A smart, dark look at rape culture and
> the extremes to which ideology can go.

"The Red Word".

> 2. Michael Ondaatje, 2000: The destruction of innocent lives haunts
> the title character, driving her to identify the victim and
> killer.

"Anil's Ghost".

> 3. David Gilmour, 2005: A father makes a casual error of judgement,
> and leaves his 6-year-old son alone for 15 minutes.

"A Perfect Night to Go to China".

> 4. Nino Ricco, 2008: Set in Montreal in 1986, a researcher is
> working on his Ph.D., trying to connect Darwin's theories to
> a greater theory of life.

"The Origin of Species".

> 5. Lina Spalding, 2012: A ex-Quaker family moves to Virginia and
> buys a slave, setting in motion a chain of events.

"The Purchase".

> And #6-10 are all Giller Prize winners.

> 6. Linden MacIntyre, 2009: A Catholic priest who quickly and
> quietly resolves church scandals must relocate himself to Cape
> Breton Island.

"The Bishop's Man".

> 7. Austin Clarke, 2002: Set in 1950's Barbados, the novel is a
> confession of a crime, involving a sugar plantation owner,
> and a field laborer who is also his mistress.

"The Polished Hoe".

> 8. Elizabeth Hay, 2007: The novel chronicles the author's
> experiences as a CBC Radio journalist, in Yellowknife, NWT.
> Four friends make a trek across frozen territory.

"Late Nights on Air".

> 9. Esi Edugyan, 2018: The story follows the early life of a young
> man who has escaped from slavery, and his subsequent adventures.

"Washington Black".

> 10. Madeleine Thien, 2016: The story follows an extended family
> in China, through Mao's Cultural Revolution, and those who
> lived through Tiananmen Square.

"Do Not Say We Have Nothing".

At my game in the original game, the player this went to had no
idea, so he asked his team for help. They had no idea either,
so rather than guess a random title or let the time drag on, he
gave up with words like "We've got nothing."

I think the possibility was simply missed at the time, but it was
later suggested that instead of recording a zero, the QM should
first have asked for the rest of the title to be supplied!

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo His Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 8 12 40 60
Dan Blum 4 16 28 48
"Calvin" 15 20 8 43
Dan Tilque 12 20 4 36
Pete Gayde 16 6 11 33
Erland Sommarskog 0 28 4 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Keep out of eyes--if this occurs, rinse with water.
m...@vex.net | (Directions seen on shampoo bottle)

Calvin

Feb 26, 2019, 8:54:34 PM2/26/19
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 4:28:57 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> > 10. Madeleine Thien, 2016: The story follows an extended family
> > in China, through Mao's Cultural Revolution, and those who
> > lived through Tiananmen Square.
>
> "Do Not Say We Have Nothing".
>
> At my game in the original game, the player this went to had no
> idea, so he asked his team for help. They had no idea either,
> so rather than guess a random title or let the time drag on, he
> gave up with words like "We've got nothing."
>
> I think the possibility was simply missed at the time, but it was
> later suggested that instead of recording a zero, the QM should
> first have asked for the rest of the title to be supplied!

Indeed he (or she) should have!

cheers,
calvin