RQFTCI03 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: sporting lives, TV TV

Mark Brader

Dec 31, 2020, 2:37:52 AM12/31/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I did not write these rounds.

* Game 6, Round 2 - Sports - Sporting Lives

Identify each athlete from the biographical sketch.

1. This tennis player won a total of 20 Wimbledon titles, """still
the record""", including 6 ladies' singles titles. In 1972 she
was the first woman to be named "Sportsperson of the Year" by
"Sports Illustrated".

2. This left-handed batsman from Trinidad set world records for
highest individual score in tests and first-class matches.
In their opening match at the 2003 Cricket World Cup, he led
the West Indies team with a game-winning century against host
nation South Africa.

3. This runner won the gold medal in the women's 800 m races
at the 1963 and 1971 Pan American Games. She was Canada's
flag-bearer at the opening ceremonies of the 1976 Montreal
Olympics.

4. This left-winger won four Stanley Cups with the Maple Leafs
and two with the Canadiens. He was appointed to the Senate
in 1998 and """is""" one of six NHL All-Stars """being"""
honored in 2003 on stamps by Canada Post.

5. The first Chinese-Canadian CFL player, this fullback was
nicknamed the "China Clipper", and was voted Canada's Athlete
of the Year in 1955.

6. This right-handed pitcher's birth date is listed as 1906-07-07.
He joined the Cleveland Indians in 1948, making him the oldest
rookie ever in Major League Baseball.

7. He and John Wooden """are the only two men""" enshrined in the
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and
a coach. """This year""" marks his record 30th season as an
NBA head coach. Name him.

8. This jockey became the first woman to win a Triple Crown race
when she captured the 1993 Belmont Stakes aboard Colonial Affair.
She was the first woman elected to thoroughbred racing's Hall
of Fame in 2000.

9. Known by the nickname "Cha-Cha", in 1965 she became the first
woman Top Fuel drag racer in the National Hot Rod Association.

10. This 4'9" (145 cm) Japanese figure skater was the first woman
to land a triple axel at a major international competition,
the 1989 World Championships in Paris, where she captured the
gold medal.

* Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV in TV

This round is about TV shows that themselves refer (or referred)
to other TV shows, real or fictional.

1. Which Bonnie Hunt sitcom """features""" a fictional talk show
called "Morning Chicago"?

2. "American Dreams", a period drama set in 1960's Philadelphia,
"""recreates""" music performed on *which real-life program*?

3. Name the fictional TV news magazine in which Murphy Brown
appeared weekly.

4. What are the *call letters* of the TV station where Mary Richards
worked on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"? Exact answer required
(ignoring any suffix like "-TV").

5. Which CBC comedy was set at Pyramid Productions, home of fake
series "Beaver Creek" and "Sword of Damocles"?

6. *Who wrote and directed* the CBC series "The Newsroom"? He also
played fictional news director George Findlay in that show and
several others.

7. This cable series starred Brian Kerwin as Rob Malone, head of
programming for the low-rated LGT Network. Name it.

8. Which comedy-drama created by Aaron Sorkin looked behind the
scenes at the Continental Sports Channel?

9. This absurdly violent cat and mouse duo appear on the "Krusty
the Clown Show", which itself is a show within a show, namely
"The Simpsons". Name that cat and mouse.

10. Which sci-fi parody on "The Muppet Show" starred the crew of
the spaceship Swinetrek: Captain Hogthrob, First Mate Miss Piggy,
and Dr. Strangepork?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "X-ray of girl shows bureaucratic mentality"
m...@vex.net | --Globe & Mail, Toronto, January 18, 1988

Dan Blum

Dec 31, 2020, 11:24:52 AM12/31/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports - Sporting Lives

> 1. This tennis player won a total of 20 Wimbledon titles, """still
> the record""", including 6 ladies' singles titles. In 1972 she
> was the first woman to be named "Sportsperson of the Year" by
> "Sports Illustrated".

Billie Jean King

> 9. Known by the nickname "Cha-Cha", in 1965 she became the first
> woman Top Fuel drag racer in the National Hot Rod Association.

Shirley Muldowney

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV in TV

> 2. "American Dreams", a period drama set in 1960's Philadelphia,
> """recreates""" music performed on *which real-life program*?

American Bandstand

> 8. Which comedy-drama created by Aaron Sorkin looked behind the
> scenes at the Continental Sports Channel?

Sports Night

> 9. This absurdly violent cat and mouse duo appear on the "Krusty
> the Clown Show", which itself is a show within a show, namely
> "The Simpsons". Name that cat and mouse.

Itchy and Scratchy

> 10. Which sci-fi parody on "The Muppet Show" starred the crew of
> the spaceship Swinetrek: Captain Hogthrob, First Mate Miss Piggy,
> and Dr. Strangepork?

Pigs in Space

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Dec 31, 2020, 4:57:12 PM12/31/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ifqdnW8itORX4nDCnZ2dnUU7-
fPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write these rounds.
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports - Sporting Lives
>
> Identify each athlete from the biographical sketch.
>
> 1. This tennis player won a total of 20 Wimbledon titles, """still
> the record""", including 6 ladies' singles titles. In 1972 she
> was the first woman to be named "Sportsperson of the Year" by
> "Sports Illustrated".

Court

> 2. This left-handed batsman from Trinidad set world records for
> highest individual score in tests and first-class matches.
> In their opening match at the 2003 Cricket World Cup, he led
> the West Indies team with a game-winning century against host
> nation South Africa.

Sobers

> 3. This runner won the gold medal in the women's 800 m races
> at the 1963 and 1971 Pan American Games. She was Canada's
> flag-bearer at the opening ceremonies of the 1976 Montreal
> Olympics.
>
> 4. This left-winger won four Stanley Cups with the Maple Leafs
> and two with the Canadiens. He was appointed to the Senate
> in 1998 and """is""" one of six NHL All-Stars """being"""
> honored in 2003 on stamps by Canada Post.

Sittler

> 5. The first Chinese-Canadian CFL player, this fullback was
> nicknamed the "China Clipper", and was voted Canada's Athlete
> of the Year in 1955.
>
> 6. This right-handed pitcher's birth date is listed as 1906-07-07.
> He joined the Cleveland Indians in 1948, making him the oldest
> rookie ever in Major League Baseball.

Satchel Paige

> 7. He and John Wooden """are the only two men""" enshrined in the
> Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and
> a coach. """This year""" marks his record 30th season as an
> NBA head coach. Name him.

Nelson

> 8. This jockey became the first woman to win a Triple Crown race
> when she captured the 1993 Belmont Stakes aboard Colonial Affair.
> She was the first woman elected to thoroughbred racing's Hall
> of Fame in 2000.
>
> 9. Known by the nickname "Cha-Cha", in 1965 she became the first
> woman Top Fuel drag racer in the National Hot Rod Association.

Muldowney

> 10. This 4'9" (145 cm) Japanese figure skater was the first woman
> to land a triple axel at a major international competition,
> the 1989 World Championships in Paris, where she captured the
> gold medal.

Ito

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV in TV
>
> This round is about TV shows that themselves refer (or referred)
> to other TV shows, real or fictional.
>
> 1. Which Bonnie Hunt sitcom """features""" a fictional talk show
> called "Morning Chicago"?
>
> 2. "American Dreams", a period drama set in 1960's Philadelphia,
> """recreates""" music performed on *which real-life program*?

American Bandstand

> 3. Name the fictional TV news magazine in which Murphy Brown
> appeared weekly.
>
> 4. What are the *call letters* of the TV station where Mary Richards
> worked on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"? Exact answer required
> (ignoring any suffix like "-TV").

WJM

> 5. Which CBC comedy was set at Pyramid Productions, home of fake
> series "Beaver Creek" and "Sword of Damocles"?
>
> 6. *Who wrote and directed* the CBC series "The Newsroom"? He also
> played fictional news director George Findlay in that show and
> several others.
>
> 7. This cable series starred Brian Kerwin as Rob Malone, head of
> programming for the low-rated LGT Network. Name it.
>
> 8. Which comedy-drama created by Aaron Sorkin looked behind the
> scenes at the Continental Sports Channel?
>
> 9. This absurdly violent cat and mouse duo appear on the "Krusty
> the Clown Show", which itself is a show within a show, namely
> "The Simpsons". Name that cat and mouse.

Itchy and Scratchy

> 10. Which sci-fi parody on "The Muppet Show" starred the crew of
> the spaceship Swinetrek: Captain Hogthrob, First Mate Miss Piggy,
> and Dr. Strangepork?

Pigs in Space

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 1, 2021, 1:41:28 AM1/1/21
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ifqdnW8itORX4nDCnZ2dnUU7-
fPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports - Sporting Lives
>
> Identify each athlete from the biographical sketch.
>
> 1. This tennis player won a total of 20 Wimbledon titles, """still
> the record""", including 6 ladies' singles titles. In 1972 she
> was the first woman to be named "Sportsperson of the Year" by
> "Sports Illustrated".

Billie Jean King

> 6. This right-handed pitcher's birth date is listed as 1906-07-07.
> He joined the Cleveland Indians in 1948, making him the oldest
> rookie ever in Major League Baseball.

Satchel Paige

> 7. He and John Wooden """are the only two men""" enshrined in the
> Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and
> a coach. """This year""" marks his record 30th season as an
> NBA head coach. Name him.

Lenny Wilkens

> 8. This jockey became the first woman to win a Triple Crown race
> when she captured the 1993 Belmont Stakes aboard Colonial Affair.
> She was the first woman elected to thoroughbred racing's Hall
> of Fame in 2000.

Julie Krone

> 9. Known by the nickname "Cha-Cha", in 1965 she became the first
> woman Top Fuel drag racer in the National Hot Rod Association.

Shirley Muldowney

> 10. This 4'9" (145 cm) Japanese figure skater was the first woman
> to land a triple axel at a major international competition,
> the 1989 World Championships in Paris, where she captured the
> gold medal.

Midori Ito

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV in TV
>
> This round is about TV shows that themselves refer (or referred)
> to other TV shows, real or fictional.
>
> 1. Which Bonnie Hunt sitcom """features""" a fictional talk show
> called "Morning Chicago"?

"The Building"; "Bonnie"

> 2. "American Dreams", a period drama set in 1960's Philadelphia,
> """recreates""" music performed on *which real-life program*?

"American Bandstand"

> 3. Name the fictional TV news magazine in which Murphy Brown
> appeared weekly.

"FYI"

> 4. What are the *call letters* of the TV station where Mary Richards
> worked on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"? Exact answer required
> (ignoring any suffix like "-TV").

WSM

> 8. Which comedy-drama created by Aaron Sorkin looked behind the
> scenes at the Continental Sports Channel?

"Sports Night"

> 9. This absurdly violent cat and mouse duo appear on the "Krusty
> the Clown Show", which itself is a show within a show, namely
> "The Simpsons". Name that cat and mouse.

"The Itchy and Scratchy Show"

> 10. Which sci-fi parody on "The Muppet Show" starred the crew of
> the spaceship Swinetrek: Captain Hogthrob, First Mate Miss Piggy,
> and Dr. Strangepork?

"Pigs in Space"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jan 2, 2021, 2:44:52 AM1/2/21
On 12/30/20 11:37 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports - Sporting Lives
>
> Identify each athlete from the biographical sketch.
>
> 1. This tennis player won a total of 20 Wimbledon titles, """still
> the record""", including 6 ladies' singles titles. In 1972 she
> was the first woman to be named "Sportsperson of the Year" by
> "Sports Illustrated".

Billie Jean King

> 2. This left-handed batsman from Trinidad set world records for
> highest individual score in tests and first-class matches.
> In their opening match at the 2003 Cricket World Cup, he led
> the West Indies team with a game-winning century against host
> nation South Africa.
>
> 3. This runner won the gold medal in the women's 800 m races
> at the 1963 and 1971 Pan American Games. She was Canada's
> flag-bearer at the opening ceremonies of the 1976 Montreal
> Olympics.
>
> 4. This left-winger won four Stanley Cups with the Maple Leafs
> and two with the Canadiens. He was appointed to the Senate
> in 1998 and """is""" one of six NHL All-Stars """being"""
> honored in 2003 on stamps by Canada Post.
>
> 5. The first Chinese-Canadian CFL player, this fullback was
> nicknamed the "China Clipper", and was voted Canada's Athlete
> of the Year in 1955.
>
> 6. This right-handed pitcher's birth date is listed as 1906-07-07.
> He joined the Cleveland Indians in 1948, making him the oldest
> rookie ever in Major League Baseball.

Satchel Paige
Pigs in Space

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jan 3, 2021, 12:03:59 AM1/3/21
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write these rounds.

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports - Sporting Lives

> Identify each athlete from the biographical sketch.

> 1. This tennis player won a total of 20 Wimbledon titles, """still
> the record""", including 6 ladies' singles titles. In 1972 she
> was the first woman to be named "Sportsperson of the Year" by
> "Sports Illustrated".

Billie Jean King. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

Martina Navratilova now holds the Wimbledon record for ladies'
singles titles with 9, and is tied on the other record at 20.

> 2. This left-handed batsman from Trinidad set world records for
> highest individual score in tests and first-class matches.
> In their opening match at the 2003 Cricket World Cup, he led
> the West Indies team with a game-winning century against host
> nation South Africa.

Brian Lara.

> 3. This runner won the gold medal in the women's 800 m races
> at the 1963 and 1971 Pan American Games. She was Canada's
> flag-bearer at the opening ceremonies of the 1976 Montreal
> Olympics.

Abigail "Abby" Hoffman.

> 4. This left-winger won four Stanley Cups with the Maple Leafs
> and two with the Canadiens. He was appointed to the Senate
> in 1998 and """is""" one of six NHL All-Stars """being"""
> honored in 2003 on stamps by Canada Post.

Frank Mahovlich.

See: http://images.postagestampguide.com/images/17435/frank-mahovlich-canada-stamp.jpg

As for the Senate, apparently his political position agreed with his
hockey position, since he was appointed by Jean Chrétien's Liberal
government. He served until reaching the age limit of 75 in 2013
and is still alive.

> 5. The first Chinese-Canadian CFL player, this fullback was
> nicknamed the "China Clipper", and was voted Canada's Athlete
> of the Year in 1955.

Normie Kwong.

> 6. This right-handed pitcher's birth date is listed as 1906-07-07.
> He joined the Cleveland Indians in 1948, making him the oldest
> rookie ever in Major League Baseball.

Leroy "Satchel" Paige. He'd been playing baseball professionally
since 1927 -- but that was in the Negro leagues. 4 for Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

I didn't think about it until now, but this record may actually no
longer belong to Paige. Last month the MLB decided to recognize the
Negro leagues as major leagues for purposes of baseball records; so
I guess what Paige now has is only the record for the oldest rookie
in *what was recognized at the time* as a major baseball league.

> 7. He and John Wooden """are the only two men""" enshrined in the
> Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and
> a coach. """This year""" marks his record 30th season as an
> NBA head coach. Name him.

Lenny Wilkens. 4 for Joshua.

Wilkens extended his record to 32 seasons before retiring and still
holds it. There are now two more people who have made the Hall
of Fame both as a player and a coach: Bill Sharman (2004) and Tom
Heinsohn (2015).

> 8. This jockey became the first woman to win a Triple Crown race
> when she captured the 1993 Belmont Stakes aboard Colonial Affair.
> She was the first woman elected to thoroughbred racing's Hall
> of Fame in 2000.

Julie Krone. 4 for Joshua.

She's still the only female jockey to win a Triple Crown race or
make the Hall of Fame, but five women are now in the Hall of Fame
in other categories.

> 9. Known by the nickname "Cha-Cha", in 1965 she became the first
> woman Top Fuel drag racer in the National Hot Rod Association.

Shirley Muldowney. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 10. This 4'9" (145 cm) Japanese figure skater was the first woman
> to land a triple axel at a major international competition,
> the 1989 World Championships in Paris, where she captured the
> gold medal.

Midori Ito. 4 for Pete and Joshua.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV in TV

> This round is about TV shows that themselves refer (or referred)
> to other TV shows, real or fictional.

> 1. Which Bonnie Hunt sitcom """features""" a fictional talk show
> called "Morning Chicago"?

"Life with Bonnie". (Ended in 2004. Not "The Bonnie Hunt Show",
a different sitcom whose title was later reused for a talk show.)

> 2. "American Dreams", a period drama set in 1960's Philadelphia,
> """recreates""" music performed on *which real-life program*?

"American Bandstand". ("American Dreams" ended in 2005.)
4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 3. Name the fictional TV news magazine in which Murphy Brown
> appeared weekly.

2003 answer: "FYI". 2020 answer: That or "Murphy in the Morning".
("Murphy Brown" originally ended in 1998 but was revived for one
season in 2018.) 4 for Joshua.

> 4. What are the *call letters* of the TV station where Mary Richards
> worked on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"? Exact answer required
> (ignoring any suffix like "-TV").

WJM. 4 for Pete.

> 5. Which CBC comedy was set at Pyramid Productions, home of fake
> series "Beaver Creek" and "Sword of Damocles"?

"Made in Canada". Also accepting the US title "The Industry".
(It ended in 2002.)

> 6. *Who wrote and directed* the CBC series "The Newsroom"? He also
> played fictional news director George Findlay in that show and
> several others.

Ken Finkleman.

> 7. This cable series starred Brian Kerwin as Rob Malone, head of
> programming for the low-rated LGT Network. Name it.

"Beggars and Choosers".

> 8. Which comedy-drama created by Aaron Sorkin looked behind the
> scenes at the Continental Sports Channel?

"Sports Night". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. This absurdly violent cat and mouse duo appear on the "Krusty
> the Clown Show", which itself is a show within a show, namely
> "The Simpsons". Name that cat and mouse.

Itchy and Scratchy (or "Worker and Parasite", which replaced "Itchy
and Scratchy" in one episode). 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 10. Which sci-fi parody on "The Muppet Show" starred the crew of
> the spaceship Swinetrek: Captain Hogthrob, First Mate Miss Piggy,
> and Dr. Strangepork?

"Pigs in Space". 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 24 20 44
Pete Gayde 12 16 28
Dan Blum 8 16 24
Dan Tilque 8 4 12

--
Mark Brader "Great things are not done by those
Toronto who sit down and count the cost