Calvin's Quiz #561

Calvin

May 1, 2019, 12:38:58 AM5/1/19

1 What 1961 film was written by Arthur Miller and starred his then wife Marilyn Monroe?
2 The paediatrician and author Dr. Benjamin Spock won an Olympic gold medal in 1924 in which sport?
3 Somewhat incongruously, what is the first movement in Gustav Holst's Planet Suite?
4 With a population of c. 12 million, what is the largest non-capital city located entirely within Europe?
5 Which species of kangaroo is the largest?
6 Peter O'Toole was twice nominated for an Oscar (in two separate movies) for portraying which English king?
7 Which American rock group released the 1986 album "Slippery When Wet"?
8 Which rays were discovered by German physicist Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895?
9 Scrooge McDuck and Smaug top which Forbes magazine list?
10 Who created the animated characters Wallace and Gromit?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 1, 2019, 1:06:39 AM5/1/19
"Calvin":
> 1 What 1961 film was written by Arthur Miller and starred his then
> wife Marilyn Monroe?

"Bus Stop".

> 2 The paediatrician and author Dr. Benjamin Spock won an Olympic
> gold medal in 1924 in which sport?

Track and field ("athletics" to foreigners)?

> 3 Somewhat incongruously, what is the first movement in Gustav
> Holst's Planet Suite?

Venus?

> 4 With a population of c. 12 million, what is the largest
> non-capital city located entirely within Europe?

Naples?

> 5 Which species of kangaroo is the largest?

Red? (The only one I can think of.)

> 6 Peter O'Toole was twice nominated for an Oscar (in two separate
> movies) for portraying which English king?

Henry II.

> 7 Which American rock group released the 1986 album "Slippery When Wet"?
> 8 Which rays were discovered by German physicist Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895?

X-rays.

> 9 Scrooge McDuck and Smaug top which Forbes magazine list?

List of richest fictional characters.

--
Mark Brader | "Warning! Drinking beer, wine or spirits during
Toronto | pregnancy can harm your baby." (City of Toronto

Erland Sommarskog

May 1, 2019, 3:38:49 AM5/1/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 3 Somewhat incongruously, what is the first movement in Gustav
> Holst's Planet Suite?

Mars

> 4 With a population of c. 12 million, what is the largest
> non-capital city located entirely within Europe?

Istanbul

> 5 Which species of kangaroo is the largest?

Australian!

> 7 Which American rock group released the 1986 album "Slippery When
> Wet"?

Metallica

> 8 Which rays were discovered by German physicist Wilhelm Roentgen in
> 1895?

Röntgen rays. OK, so in English they are known as X-rays.

Dan Blum

May 1, 2019, 2:52:10 PM5/1/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 What 1961 film was written by Arthur Miller and starred his then wife Marilyn Monroe?

The Seven-Day Itch

> 3 Somewhat incongruously, what is the first movement in Gustav Holst's Planet Suite?

The Sun

> 4 With a population of c. 12 million, what is the largest non-capital city located entirely within Europe?

St. Petersburg

> 5 Which species of kangaroo is the largest?

red kangaroo

> 6 Peter O'Toole was twice nominated for an Oscar (in two separate movies) for portraying which English king?

Henry VIII

> 8 Which rays were discovered by German physicist Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895?

X-Rays

> 9 Scrooge McDuck and Smaug top which Forbes magazine list?

richest fictional characters

> 10 Who created the animated characters Wallace and Gromit?

Nick Park

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

May 3, 2019, 2:10:40 AM5/3/19
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 2:38:58 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What 1961 film was written by Arthur Miller and starred his then wife Marilyn Monroe?

The Misfits
No-one got this
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055184/

> 2 The paediatrician and author Dr. Benjamin Spock won an Olympic gold medal in 1924 in which sport?

Rowing
No-one got this
https://theolympians.co/2017/09/01/dr-benjamin-spock-the-baby-doctor-and-olympic-champion/

> 3 Somewhat incongruously, what is the first movement in Gustav Holst's Planet Suite?

Mars
Singleton for Erland

> 4 With a population of c. 12 million, what is the largest non-capital city located entirely within Europe?

There was an error in this question sorry so I have given everyone the point. It was either meant to be the largest capital (Moscow, c. 12 m) or largest non-capital (St Petersburg, c. 6 m). Apologies.

> 5 Which species of kangaroo is the largest?

Red

> 6 Peter O'Toole was twice nominated for an Oscar (in two separate movies) for portraying which English king?

Henry II
Singleton for Mark

> 7 Which American rock group released the 1986 album "Slippery When Wet"?

Bon Jovi
No-one got this
https://www.allmusic.com/album/slippery-when-wet-mw0000652380

> 8 Which rays were discovered by German physicist Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895?

X rays

> 9 Scrooge McDuck and Smaug top which Forbes magazine list?

Richest fictional characters

> 10 Who created the animated characters Wallace and Gromit?

Nick Park
Singleton for Dan B

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 561
0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 5 14 Dan Blum
0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 5 14 Mark Brader
0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 9 Erland S
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 3 11 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
0 0 1 4 2 1 0 4 3 1 16 40%

Well that was a brutal set. Congratulations Mark and Dan B.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

May 3, 2019, 3:15:58 AM5/3/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 2 The paediatrician and author Dr. Benjamin Spock won an Olympic
>> gold medal in 1924 in which sport?
>
> Rowing
> No-one got this

Are you surprised?

Pete Gayde

May 3, 2019, 6:11:45 PM5/3/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 What 1961 film was written by Arthur Miller and starred his then
> wife Marilyn Monroe?

The Misfits

> 2 The paediatrician and author Dr. Benjamin
> Spock won an Olympic gold medal in 1924 in which sport?
> 3 Somewhat
> incongruously, what is the first movement in Gustav Holst's Planet
> Suite?

Mars, the Bringer of War

> 4 With a population of c. 12 million, what is the largest
> non-capital city located entirely within Europe?
> 5 Which species of kangaroo is the largest?
> 6 Peter O'Toole was twice nominated
> for an Oscar (in two separate movies) for portraying which English
> king?
> 7 Which American rock group released the 1986 album
> "Slippery When Wet"?
> 8 Which rays were discovered by German
> physicist Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895?

> 9 Scrooge McDuck and Smaug top which Forbes magazine list?
> 10 Who created the animated characters
> Wallace and Gromit?
>

> cheers,
> calvin