Calvin's Quiz #479

Calvin

Mar 16, 2017, 9:32:52 PM3/16/17

1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?
2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?
3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?
4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?
5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the late 19th century in which European country?
6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and three television series, which fictional character is the best known creation of British author Leslie Charteris?
7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?
8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon in the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?
9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?
10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and apes?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 17, 2017, 12:25:16 AM3/17/17
Calvin:
> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?

Uruguay.

> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?

Got me. Sausage?

> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in
> 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?

Damascut?

> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?

Hazelnut?

> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the
> late 19th century in which European country?

Sweden?

> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and
> three television series, which fictional character is the best
> known creation of British author Leslie Charteris?

Templar.

> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?

12?

> 8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina
> Monsoon in the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?

Chanel?

> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?

Ozone.

> 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and apes?

Monkeys have tails.
--
Mark Brader "C was developed for the programmer
Toronto (two of them, in fact)"

Dan Blum

Mar 17, 2017, 12:36:50 AM3/17/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?

Spain

> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?

cheese

> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?

Aleppo

> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?

almond

> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the late 19th century in which European country?

United Kingdom

> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and three television series, which fictional character is the best known creation of British author Leslie Charteris?

The Saint

> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?

12 feet

> 8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon in the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?

Yves Saint Laurent

> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?

tritium

> 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and apes?

monkeys have tails and apes do not

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Gareth Owen

Mar 17, 2017, 1:02:10 AM3/17/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?

Italy

> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?

Cheese

> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC,
> 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?

Damascus?

> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?

Almond

> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the late
> 19th century in which European country?

France?

> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and three
> television series, which fictional character is the best known
> creation of British author Leslie Charteris?

Simon Templar (The Saint)

> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?

12

> 8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon in
> the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?

Gaultier? (Hated that show...)

> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?

Ozone

> 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and
> apes?

A tai

Mark Brader

Mar 17, 2017, 1:56:14 AM3/17/17
"Calvin":
> > 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and
> > apes?

Gareth Owen:
> A tai

So your answer was an ape rather than a monkey?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "... people are *always* doing stuff ...
m...@vex.net that I wish were typos" --Marcy Thompson

Dan Tilque

Mar 17, 2017, 2:05:45 AM3/17/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?

Germany

> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?
> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?

Aleppo

> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?
> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the late 19th century in which European country?

Germany

> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and three television series, which fictional character is the best known creation of British author Leslie Charteris?
> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?

9 feet

> 8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon in the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?
> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?

ozone

> 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and apes?

tails

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Mar 17, 2017, 4:00:54 AM3/17/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?
Italy
> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?
Soft cheese
> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC,
> 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?
Damascus
> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?
Almond
> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the late
> 19th century in which European country?
Sweden
> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and
> three television series, which fictional character is the best known
> creation of British author Leslie Charteris?
Dennis the Menace
> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?
12 foot
> 8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon
> in the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?
Chanel
> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?
Ozone
> 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and
> apes?
Apes have no tail

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 17, 2017, 5:31:16 AM3/17/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?

Italy

> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?

Cheese

> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC,
> 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?

Antioch

> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?

Almond

> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the
> late 19th century in which European country?

Sweden

> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?

The right foot?

> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?

Ozone

Bruce

Mar 17, 2017, 9:22:42 AM3/17/17
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 18:32:51 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?
> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?

Cheese

> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC,
218
> AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?
> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?

Almonds

> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the late
> 19th century in which European country?

Switzerland

> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and
three
> television series, which fictional character is the best known creation
> of British author Leslie Charteris?

Simon Templar (AKA The Saint)

> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?

I know they're huge. I'll guess 16 feet

> 8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon
in
> the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?
> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?

ozone

> 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and
> apes?

Tails (or lack there of)

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 17, 2017, 10:20:54 AM3/17/17
In article <dbf38360-0b00-4d0b...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?
> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?
cheese

> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?
> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?
almond

> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the late 19th century in which European country?
Norway

> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and three television series, which fictional character is the best known creation of British author Leslie Charteris?
> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?
10

> 8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon in the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?
> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?
ozone

> 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and apes?
monkeys generally have tails

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Mar 17, 2017, 6:21:14 PM3/17/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?

Italy

> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?

Cheese

> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in
> 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?

Siracusa

> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?

Almond

> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were
> developed in the late 19th century in which European country?

Germany

> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and
three
> television series, which fictional character is the best known
> creation of British author Leslie Charteris?
> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?

10

> 8 The clothes of which
> French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon in the TV sitcom
> "Absolutely Fabulous"?

Piaf

> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?

Ozone

> 10 What is the main visible physical difference
> between monkeys and apes?

Monkeys have tails

> cheers,
> calvin
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Don Piven

Mar 18, 2017, 9:25:58 PM3/18/17
On 3/16/17 20:32, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?

> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?
Cheese.

> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?
Damascus

> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?
Hazelnut

> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the late 19th century in which European country?

> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and three television series, which fictional character is the best known creation of British author Leslie Charteris?
The Saint

> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?
11

> 8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon in the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?

> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?
Ozone

> 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and apes?
Apes lack tails.

Calvin

Mar 26, 2017, 8:24:03 PM3/26/17
On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 11:32:52 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which country hosted the 1934 and 1990 FIFA World Cups?

Italy

> 2 Mascarpone is a variety of which foodstuff?

Cheese

> 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?

Antioch

> 4 Which nut flavours the liqueur Amaretto?

Almond

> 5 Both the term and the sport orienteering were developed in the late 19th century in which European country?

Sweden

> 6 Featured in films, radio dramas, comic strips, comic books and three television series, which fictional character is the best known creation of British author Leslie Charteris?

The Saint / Simon Templar

> 7 To the nearest foot, how long is a standard snooker table?

12

> 8 The clothes of which French fashion designer obsess Edina Monsoon in the TV sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"?

Christian Lacroix

> 9 What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?

Ozone

> 10 What is the main visible physical difference between monkeys and apes?

Tails. Monkeys have 'em, apes don't.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 479
1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 42 Peter Smyth
1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 7 43 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 6 33 Erland S
0 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 5 26 Dan Blum
0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 5 26 Bruce Bowler
1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 5 28 Pete Gayde
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 5 37 Mark Brader
0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 4 20 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 4 25 Don Piven
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 2 17 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
4 8 1 7 3 5 4 0 9 9 50 50%

That was a tough set. Well done Peter.

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Mar 26, 2017, 11:53:40 PM3/26/17
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 10:24:03 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> > 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?
>
> Antioch

And I should have acknowledged Erland's singleton here.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 27, 2017, 5:11:01 PM3/27/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> > 3 Which Syrian city has lent its name to 5 major battles, in
>> > 145BC, 218 AD, 613, 1097 and 1268?
>> Antioch
>
> And I should have acknowledged Erland's singleton here.

I will have to confess that was very much of a guess.

swp

Mar 27, 2017, 6:35:17 PM3/27/17
from whence comes the holy hand grenade! (whatever that means)

Dan Tilque

Mar 28, 2017, 1:31:06 AM3/28/17
Instead, you should acknowledge that you goofed up on that one. Antioch
is currently some ruins near Antakya, Turkey. Yes, it's *near* Syria,
but Turkey owns that corner of the Levant.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Mar 28, 2017, 2:53:40 AM3/28/17
I should also mention that both Aleppo and Damascus (answers given by
various people) have at least 5 battles each, although not in those
years. So at the very least, people who gave those answers should get
credit.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 28, 2017, 3:14:56 AM3/28/17
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> I should also mention that both Aleppo and Damascus (answers given by
> various people) have at least 5 battles each, although not in those
> years. So at the very least, people who gave those answers should get
> credit.

I think I was considering Aleppo, but 2016 seemed to be missing from the
list of years.

I'm not sure that the question would have been any simpler if Calvin had
said Turkish city. In fact that would also have been wrong since it is not
a city today. But it seems that when it was a city, it could be described
as "Syrian". I find this sentence in Wikiepedia: " It was one of the four
cities of the Syrian tetrapolis".

It would have been different if Calvin had said "Which city in Syria...",
but he didn't.

Dan Tilque

Mar 28, 2017, 2:27:35 PM3/28/17
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
>> I should also mention that both Aleppo and Damascus (answers given by
>> various people) have at least 5 battles each, although not in those
>> years. So at the very least, people who gave those answers should get
>> credit.
>>

> I think I was considering Aleppo, but 2016 seemed to be missing from the
> list of years.

That was something like the 8th battle or siege of Aleppo. His question
set probably pre-dates that battle and it's unlikely to have been
updated. So even if Aleppo was the expected answer, it probably wouldn't
have been included.

I predict that he's either going to ignore this objection or refuse to
fix things. It's his way.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 28, 2017, 4:54:50 PM3/28/17
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> That was something like the 8th battle or siege of Aleppo. His question
> set probably pre-dates that battle and it's unlikely to have been
> updated. So even if Aleppo was the expected answer, it probably wouldn't
> have been included.

Might be. My point was anyway that he was not entirely off this time.
"Syrian" does not necessarily have to mean "In the current state of
Syria".

Dan Tilque

Mar 28, 2017, 5:26:09 PM3/28/17
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
>> That was something like the 8th battle or siege of Aleppo. His question
>> set probably pre-dates that battle and it's unlikely to have been
>> updated. So even if Aleppo was the expected answer, it probably wouldn't
>> have been included.
>
> Might be. My point was anyway that he was not entirely off this time.
> "Syrian" does not necessarily have to mean "In the current state of
> Syria".

Historically, the name Syria was most commonly applied to the entire
eastern Mediteranean area south of Asia Minor and north of the Sinai. So
the question could have been talking about Jerusalem, Beirut, Gaza, or
Amman. But I don't think that would be very fair to do so. It should
just be about cities currently in the state of Syria.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Mar 29, 2017, 6:08:57 PM3/29/17
I accept that the wording around Syria could have been clearer, but the dates leave no room for doubt as to what is the only correct answer.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 29, 2017, 11:37:28 PM3/29/17
Dan Tilque:

>> I predict that he's either going to ignore this objection or refuse to
>> fix things. It's his way.

That seems a bit snarky; Calvin often amends his initial scoring.

"Calvin":
> I accept that the wording around Syria could have been clearer, but the
> dates leave no room for doubt as to what is the only correct answer.

There was a comma after "5 major battles", meaning that the reader
could safely assume that the list of dates was secondary information.
I have no idea as to which Syrian cities have had how many battles,
but if Dan's facts are correct then I certainly think the two cities
he names should be scored as correct.
--
Mark Brader | "Oh, sure, you can make anything sound sleazy if you,
Toronto | you know, tell it exactly the way it happened."