QFTCIUA19 Game 8, Rounds 4-6: car logos, protest songs, caves

Mark Brader

Aug 29, 2019, 4:58:31 PM8/29/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-15,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - What Car is This?

Please see the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-4/what.jpg

For the questions #1-5, we'll give you the make of the car and
nationality and you identify the logo by number.

1. Nissan (Japan).
2. Buick (US).
3. Saab (Sweden).
4. Koenigsegg (Sweden).
5. Chery (China).

For the rest, we'll throw it into reverse. Decode the rot13 to
see the logo numbers, and each case name the brand. I've sorted
this part of the round by logo number for convenience; there were
6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer the
decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.

Ahzoref bar, guerr, sbhe, frira, naq guvegrra unir orra hfrq.

6. (qrpbl) #gjb.
7. #svir.
8. #fvk.
9. (qrpbl) #rvtug.
10. (qrpbl) #avar.
11. #gra.
12. (qrpbl) #ryrira.
13. #gjryir.
14. (qrpbl) #sbhegrra.
15. (qrpbl) #svsgrra.
16. #fvkgrra.

* Game 8, Round 5 - Audio - Protest Songs

To quote the movie "The Wild One":

"What are you rebelling against?"
"What have you got?"

This round features pop songs protesting various things of social
importance. In the original game clips from them were played,
of course, but here I'll generally give you the title and artist
instead. Song #1 involves so many issues, though, that I'll simply
ask you to name the artist.

1. "Eve of Destruction".

For #2-10, then, I'll give you the title and artist, and what you
have to name is the *social issue* that the song is about.

2. "Beds Are Burning" (Midnight Oil).
3. "Hurricane" (Bob Dylan).
4. "Little Boxes" (Pete Seeger).
5. "Signs" (Five Man Electrical Band).
6. "Chicago" (Graham Nash).
7. "Spanish Bombs" (the Clash).
8. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (U2).
9. "Ohio" (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young).
10. "Society's Child" (Janis Ian).

* Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - The Hole in the Earth Catalog

Here's a round on famous caves, caverns, and chasms.

1. This series of caverns in New Mexico, in the Chihuahua Desert,
is crowned by the Big Room, a natural limestone chamber 1,200 m
long, 200 m wide, and more than 100 m high. Name those famous
caverns.

2. Part of a US National Park in central Kentucky -- between
Louisville and Bowling Green -- this cave is part of the longest
cave system in the world. Despite its name, no fossils of
large prehistoric mammals have ever been found there. Name it.

3. The Cave of the Swallows (7th-deepest known cave in the world)
and the Cave of Crystals (marked by crystal formations 10 m high)
can both be found in what country?

4. One of the world's most famous and beautiful sea caves is the
Blue Grotto. Name the Mediterranean island off the coast of
Italy where it can be found.

5. In 1829, the composer Felix Mendelssohn visited another
famed sea cave, Fingal's Cave. It inspired him to compose
the Hebrides Overture. Also called Uamh Binh and the Cave of
Melody, you'd find the cave on an island off the coast of where?

6. Considered a world wonder, Waitomo Cave is also called Glowworm
Cave because of abundant luminous tiny organisms that put on
an endless light show. In which Southern Hemisphere country
would you find Waitomo Cave?

7. The Black Chasm, Lake Shasta Caverns, and the Moaning Cavern
can all be found in which US state?

8. The Warsaw Caves, Duncan Crevice Caves, and Bonnechere Caves
are all in which Canadian province?

9. While the Derinkuyu underground city is a man-made series of
underground caves, they are astonishing in their scope, allowing
old Testament peoples and -- centuries later -- early Christians
to live in hiding relatively comfortably in groups of up to
20,000 more than 60 m underground. In which country is this?

10. It's the longest ice cave in the world, at 42 km, though only
the first kilometer is open to tourists. Dimly-lit and misty,
it's apparently a profoundly eerie experience. In which country
would you find the Eisriesenwelt Cave?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Sbe nal nafjre,
vs lbh tnir nal sbez bs "gur HX" be "Terng Oevgnva", cyrnfr tb onpx
naq or zber fcrpvsvp guna "Terng Oevgnva".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Astronauts practice landing on laptops"
m...@vex.net | --Ft. Myers, FL, News-Press, March 13, 1994

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 29, 2019, 8:57:13 PM8/29/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:8-CdnWR2yZzvofXAnZ2dnUU7-
enN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - What Car is This?
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-4/what.jpg
>
> For the questions #1-5, we'll give you the make of the car and
> nationality and you identify the logo by number.
>
> 1. Nissan (Japan).

13; 2

7

> 3. Saab (Sweden).

3; 2

> 4. Koenigsegg (Sweden).

6; 10

> 5. Chery (China).

8; 12

> For the rest, we'll throw it into reverse. Decode the rot13 to
> see the logo numbers, and each case name the brand. I've sorted
> this part of the round by logo number for convenience; there were
> 6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer the
> decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> Ahzoref bar, guerr, sbhe, frira, naq guvegrra unir orra hfrq.
>
> 12. (qrpbl) #ryrira.

Cadillac

> * Game 8, Round 5 - Audio - Protest Songs
>
> This round features pop songs protesting various things of social
> importance. In the original game clips from them were played,
> of course, but here I'll generally give you the title and artist
> instead. Song #1 involves so many issues, though, that I'll simply
> ask you to name the artist.
>
> 1. "Eve of Destruction".

Barry McGuire

> For #2-10, then, I'll give you the title and artist, and what you
> have to name is the *social issue* that the song is about.
>
> 2. "Beds Are Burning" (Midnight Oil).

Aboriginal Australian rights

> 3. "Hurricane" (Bob Dylan).

imprisonment of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

> 4. "Little Boxes" (Pete Seeger).

suburban conformity

> 5. "Signs" (Five Man Electrical Band).

discrimination against "long-haired freaky people"

> 6. "Chicago" (Graham Nash).

riots at 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago

> 7. "Spanish Bombs" (the Clash).

Spanish Civil War

> 8. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (U2).

the Troubles in Northern Ireland

> 9. "Ohio" (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young).

shooting of students at Kent State University

> 10. "Society's Child" (Janis Ian).

interracial relationships

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - The Hole in the Earth Catalog
>
> Here's a round on famous caves, caverns, and chasms.
>
> 1. This series of caverns in New Mexico, in the Chihuahua Desert,
> is crowned by the Big Room, a natural limestone chamber 1,200 m
> long, 200 m wide, and more than 100 m high. Name those famous
> caverns.

Carlsbad Caverns

> 2. Part of a US National Park in central Kentucky -- between
> Louisville and Bowling Green -- this cave is part of the longest
> cave system in the world. Despite its name, no fossils of
> large prehistoric mammals have ever been found there. Name it.

Mammoth Cave

> 4. One of the world's most famous and beautiful sea caves is the
> Blue Grotto. Name the Mediterranean island off the coast of
> Italy where it can be found.

Capri

> 5. In 1829, the composer Felix Mendelssohn visited another
> famed sea cave, Fingal's Cave. It inspired him to compose
> the Hebrides Overture. Also called Uamh Binh and the Cave of
> Melody, you'd find the cave on an island off the coast of where?

Scotland

> 6. Considered a world wonder, Waitomo Cave is also called Glowworm
> Cave because of abundant luminous tiny organisms that put on
> an endless light show. In which Southern Hemisphere country
> would you find Waitomo Cave?

New Zealand

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Sbe nal nafjre,
> vs lbh tnir nal sbez bs "gur HX" be "Terng Oevgnva", cyrnfr tb onpx
> naq or zber fcrpvsvp guna "Terng Oevgnva".

Nyernql gbbx pner bs gung.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Aug 29, 2019, 10:39:46 PM8/29/19
On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 6:58:31 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - What Car is This?
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-4/what.jpg
>
> For the questions #1-5, we'll give you the make of the car and
> nationality and you identify the logo by number.
>
> 1. Nissan (Japan).

13

> 2. Buick (US).

11, 16

4

> 4. Koenigsegg (Sweden).

3, 8

> 5. Chery (China).

3, 8

> 6. (qrpbl) #gjb.
> 7. #svir.

Renault

> 8. #fvk.

Maserati

> 9. (qrpbl) #rvtug.
> 10. (qrpbl) #avar.
> 11. #gra.
> 12. (qrpbl) #ryrira.
> 13. #gjryir.

Proton?

> 14. (qrpbl) #sbhegrra.

Peugeot

> 15. (qrpbl) #svsgrra.

Opel?

> 16. #fvkgrra.

Nope

> * Game 8, Round 5 - Audio - Protest Songs
>
> To quote the movie "The Wild One":
>
> "What are you rebelling against?"
> "What have you got?"
>
> This round features pop songs protesting various things of social
> importance. In the original game clips from them were played,
> of course, but here I'll generally give you the title and artist
> instead. Song #1 involves so many issues, though, that I'll simply
> ask you to name the artist.
>
> 1. "Eve of Destruction".
>
> For #2-10, then, I'll give you the title and artist, and what you
> have to name is the *social issue* that the song is about.
>
> 2. "Beds Are Burning" (Midnight Oil).

Aboriginal Australian rights

> 3. "Hurricane" (Bob Dylan).

Reuben Carter trial/imprisonment

> 4. "Little Boxes" (Pete Seeger).
> 5. "Signs" (Five Man Electrical Band).
> 6. "Chicago" (Graham Nash).
> 7. "Spanish Bombs" (the Clash).

Spanish civil war I guess

> 8. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (U2).

Police firing on Irish civilians in c. 1972

> 9. "Ohio" (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young).
> 10. "Society's Child" (Janis Ian).

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - The Hole in the Earth Catalog
>
> Here's a round on famous caves, caverns, and chasms.
>
> 1. This series of caverns in New Mexico, in the Chihuahua Desert,
> is crowned by the Big Room, a natural limestone chamber 1,200 m
> long, 200 m wide, and more than 100 m high. Name those famous
> caverns.
>
> 2. Part of a US National Park in central Kentucky -- between
> Louisville and Bowling Green -- this cave is part of the longest
> cave system in the world. Despite its name, no fossils of
> large prehistoric mammals have ever been found there. Name it.

Mammoth cave

> 3. The Cave of the Swallows (7th-deepest known cave in the world)
> and the Cave of Crystals (marked by crystal formations 10 m high)
> can both be found in what country?
>
> 4. One of the world's most famous and beautiful sea caves is the
> Blue Grotto. Name the Mediterranean island off the coast of
> Italy where it can be found.

Sicily, Sardinia

> 5. In 1829, the composer Felix Mendelssohn visited another
> famed sea cave, Fingal's Cave. It inspired him to compose
> the Hebrides Overture. Also called Uamh Binh and the Cave of
> Melody, you'd find the cave on an island off the coast of where?

Scotland, Ireland

> 6. Considered a world wonder, Waitomo Cave is also called Glowworm
> Cave because of abundant luminous tiny organisms that put on
> an endless light show. In which Southern Hemisphere country
> would you find Waitomo Cave?

New Zealand, Australia

> 7. The Black Chasm, Lake Shasta Caverns, and the Moaning Cavern
> can all be found in which US state?

Nevada, California

> 8. The Warsaw Caves, Duncan Crevice Caves, and Bonnechere Caves
> are all in which Canadian province?

BC, Manitoba

> 9. While the Derinkuyu underground city is a man-made series of
> underground caves, they are astonishing in their scope, allowing
> old Testament peoples and -- centuries later -- early Christians
> to live in hiding relatively comfortably in groups of up to
> 20,000 more than 60 m underground. In which country is this?

Egypt, Iran

> 10. It's the longest ice cave in the world, at 42 km, though only
> the first kilometer is open to tourists. Dimly-lit and misty,
> it's apparently a profoundly eerie experience. In which country
> would you find the Eisriesenwelt Cave?

Norway, Sweden

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 30, 2019, 4:37:13 AM8/30/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - What Car is This?
>
> 1. Nissan (Japan).

13

> 2. Buick (US).

16

4

> 4. Koenigsegg (Sweden).

Koenigsegg? Gosh, they must be more common in Toronto than over here.
I have no idea. 6?

8

> 6. (qrpbl) #gjb.

Volvo

> 7. #svir.

Mitsubishi

> 8. #fvk.

Koenigsegg :-)

> * Game 8, Round 5 - Audio - Protest Songs
>
> 2. "Beds Are Burning" (Midnight Oil).

How the white man have taken away land from the aboriginals.

> 7. "Spanish Bombs" (the Clash).

Spanish civil war

> 8. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (U2).

Bloody Sunday. That is, the event in Londonderry where several protesters
were killed by the British Army.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - The Hole in the Earth Catalog
>
> Here's a round on famous caves, caverns, and chasms.
>
> 4. One of the world's most famous and beautiful sea caves is the
> Blue Grotto. Name the Mediterranean island off the coast of
> Italy where it can be found.

Capri

> 5. In 1829, the composer Felix Mendelssohn visited another
> famed sea cave, Fingal's Cave. It inspired him to compose
> the Hebrides Overture. Also called Uamh Binh and the Cave of
> Melody, you'd find the cave on an island off the coast of where?

Scotland

> 6. Considered a world wonder, Waitomo Cave is also called Glowworm
> Cave because of abundant luminous tiny organisms that put on
> an endless light show. In which Southern Hemisphere country
> would you find Waitomo Cave?

New Zealand

> 9. While the Derinkuyu underground city is a man-made series of
> underground caves, they are astonishing in their scope, allowing
> old Testament peoples and -- centuries later -- early Christians
> to live in hiding relatively comfortably in groups of up to
> 20,000 more than 60 m underground. In which country is this?

Turkey

Mark Brader

Aug 30, 2019, 5:01:08 AM8/30/19
Mark Brader:
> > 4. Koenigsegg (Sweden).

Erland Sommarskog:
> Koenigsegg? Gosh, they must be more common in Toronto than over here.

Well, I'm not into sports cars, but I'd never heard of the brand.
See: http://www.koenigsegg.com/koenigsegg-the-company/
--
Mark Brader, Toronto / "There are three types of software documentation:
m...@vex.net / tutorial, mnemonic and misleading." --Larry Colen

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 30, 2019, 5:27:39 AM8/30/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>> > 4. Koenigsegg (Sweden).
>
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Koenigsegg? Gosh, they must be more common in Toronto than over here.
>
> Well, I'm not into sports cars, but I'd never heard of the brand.

I have heard of the brand, mainly because they (or their owner) were
considering buying SAAB when it was ditched by General Motors ditched, but
they realised it was far too risky business. Instead SAAB was bought by
another maker of exclusive sports cars, Spyker from the Netherlands. It did
not end well, and SAAB went bust.

Bruce Bowler

Aug 30, 2019, 3:28:29 PM8/30/19
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 15:58:26 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-15, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-01-22
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - What Car is This?
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-4/what.jpg
>
> For the questions #1-5, we'll give you the make of the car and
> nationality and you identify the logo by number.
>
> 1. Nissan (Japan).

13

7

4

3

1

> For the rest, we'll throw it into reverse. Decode the rot13 to see the
> logo numbers, and each case name the brand. I've sorted this part of
> the round by logo number for convenience; there were 6 decoys, which are
> now interspersed with the others. Answer the decoys if you like for
> fun, but for no points.
>
> Numbers one, three, four, seven, and thirteen have been used.
>
> 6. (decoy) #two.

Volvo

> 7. #five.

Renault

> 8. #six.

Maserati

> 9. (decoy) #eight.

McLaren

> 10. (decoy) #nine.

No Clue

> 11. #ten.

Aston Martin

> 12. (decoy) #eleven.

Cadillac

> 13. #twelve.

Citroen

> 14. (decoy) #fourteen.

Peugot

> 15. (decoy) #fifteen.

Fiat

> 16. #sixteen.

Bentley

> * Game 8, Round 5 - Audio - Protest Songs
>
> To quote the movie "The Wild One":
>
> "What are you rebelling against?"
> "What have you got?"
>
> This round features pop songs protesting various things of social
> importance. In the original game clips from them were played,
> of course, but here I'll generally give you the title and artist
> instead. Song #1 involves so many issues, though, that I'll simply ask
> you to name the artist.
>
> 1. "Eve of Destruction".

Barry McGuire

> For #2-10, then, I'll give you the title and artist, and what you have
> to name is the *social issue* that the song is about.
>
> 2. "Beds Are Burning" (Midnight Oil).
> 3. "Hurricane" (Bob Dylan).

Racism

> 4. "Little Boxes" (Pete Seeger).
> 5. "Signs" (Five Man Electrical Band).
> 6. "Chicago" (Graham Nash).
> 7. "Spanish Bombs" (the Clash).
> 8. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (U2).

"The Troubles" in Northern Ireland

> 9. "Ohio" (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young).
> 10. "Society's Child" (Janis Ian).
>

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - The Hole in the Earth Catalog
>
> Here's a round on famous caves, caverns, and chasms.
>
> 1. This series of caverns in New Mexico, in the Chihuahua Desert,
> is crowned by the Big Room, a natural limestone chamber 1,200 m long,
> 200 m wide, and more than 100 m high. Name those famous caverns.

Carlsbad Caverns

> 2. Part of a US National Park in central Kentucky -- between
> Louisville and Bowling Green -- this cave is part of the longest cave
> system in the world. Despite its name, no fossils of large
> prehistoric mammals have ever been found there. Name it.

Mammoth Caves

> 3. The Cave of the Swallows (7th-deepest known cave in the world)
> and the Cave of Crystals (marked by crystal formations 10 m high)
> can both be found in what country?

Mexico

> 4. One of the world's most famous and beautiful sea caves is the
> Blue Grotto. Name the Mediterranean island off the coast of Italy
> where it can be found.
>
> 5. In 1829, the composer Felix Mendelssohn visited another
> famed sea cave, Fingal's Cave. It inspired him to compose the
> Hebrides Overture. Also called Uamh Binh and the Cave of Melody,
> you'd find the cave on an island off the coast of where?

Scotland; Ireland

> 6. Considered a world wonder, Waitomo Cave is also called Glowworm
> Cave because of abundant luminous tiny organisms that put on an
> endless light show. In which Southern Hemisphere country would you
> find Waitomo Cave?

New Zealand

> 7. The Black Chasm, Lake Shasta Caverns, and the Moaning Cavern
> can all be found in which US state?

California

> 8. The Warsaw Caves, Duncan Crevice Caves, and Bonnechere Caves
> are all in which Canadian province?
>
> 9. While the Derinkuyu underground city is a man-made series of
> underground caves, they are astonishing in their scope, allowing old
> Testament peoples and -- centuries later -- early Christians to live
> in hiding relatively comfortably in groups of up to 20,000 more than
> 60 m underground. In which country is this?

Israel; Turkey

> 10. It's the longest ice cave in the world, at 42 km, though only
> the first kilometer is open to tourists. Dimly-lit and misty, it's
> apparently a profoundly eerie experience. In which country would you
> find the Eisriesenwelt Cave?

Austria

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: For any answer,
> if you gave any form of "the UK" or "Great Britain", please go back and
> be more specific than "Great Britain".

Dan Tilque

Aug 30, 2019, 6:22:24 PM8/30/19
On 8/29/19 1:58 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - What Car is This?
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-4/what.jpg
>
> For the questions #1-5, we'll give you the make of the car and
> nationality and you identify the logo by number.
>
> 1. Nissan (Japan).

13

7

> 3. Saab (Sweden).
> 4. Koenigsegg (Sweden).
> 5. Chery (China).
>
> For the rest, we'll throw it into reverse. Decode the rot13 to
> see the logo numbers, and each case name the brand. I've sorted
> this part of the round by logo number for convenience; there were
> 6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer the
> decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> Ahzoref bar, guerr, sbhe, frira, naq guvegrra unir orra hfrq.
>
> 6. (qrpbl) #gjb.

Volvo

> 7. #svir.
> 8. #fvk.
> 9. (qrpbl) #rvtug.

Starfleet

> 10. (qrpbl) #avar.
> 11. #gra.

Chrysler

> 12. (qrpbl) #ryrira.

Cadillac

> 13. #gjryir.
> 14. (qrpbl) #sbhegrra.
> 15. (qrpbl) #svsgrra.

Fiat

> 16. #fvkgrra.

Mini

> * Game 8, Round 5 - Audio - Protest Songs
>
> To quote the movie "The Wild One":
>
> "What are you rebelling against?"
> "What have you got?"
>
> This round features pop songs protesting various things of social
> importance. In the original game clips from them were played,
> of course, but here I'll generally give you the title and artist
> instead. Song #1 involves so many issues, though, that I'll simply
> ask you to name the artist.
>
> 1. "Eve of Destruction".
>
> For #2-10, then, I'll give you the title and artist, and what you
> have to name is the *social issue* that the song is about.
>
> 2. "Beds Are Burning" (Midnight Oil).
> 3. "Hurricane" (Bob Dylan).

imprisonment of Hurricane Carter

> 4. "Little Boxes" (Pete Seeger).
> 5. "Signs" (Five Man Electrical Band).
> 6. "Chicago" (Graham Nash).

police brutality at the 1968 Democratic National Convention

> 7. "Spanish Bombs" (the Clash).
> 8. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (U2)

shooting of Northern Ireland protesters by British troops

> 9. "Ohio" (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young).

Kent State shootings

> 10. "Society's Child" (Janis Ian).
>

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - The Hole in the Earth Catalog
>
> Here's a round on famous caves, caverns, and chasms.
>
> 1. This series of caverns in New Mexico, in the Chihuahua Desert,
> is crowned by the Big Room, a natural limestone chamber 1,200 m
> long, 200 m wide, and more than 100 m high. Name those famous
> caverns.

Calsbad Caverns

> 2. Part of a US National Park in central Kentucky -- between
> Louisville and Bowling Green -- this cave is part of the longest
> cave system in the world. Despite its name, no fossils of
> large prehistoric mammals have ever been found there. Name it.

Dinosaur Caves

> 3. The Cave of the Swallows (7th-deepest known cave in the world)
> and the Cave of Crystals (marked by crystal formations 10 m high)
> can both be found in what country?
>
> 4. One of the world's most famous and beautiful sea caves is the
> Blue Grotto. Name the Mediterranean island off the coast of
> Italy where it can be found.

Sicily

> 5. In 1829, the composer Felix Mendelssohn visited another
> famed sea cave, Fingal's Cave. It inspired him to compose
> the Hebrides Overture. Also called Uamh Binh and the Cave of
> Melody, you'd find the cave on an island off the coast of where?

Scotland

> 6. Considered a world wonder, Waitomo Cave is also called Glowworm
> Cave because of abundant luminous tiny organisms that put on
> an endless light show. In which Southern Hemisphere country
> would you find Waitomo Cave?

New Zealand

> 7. The Black Chasm, Lake Shasta Caverns, and the Moaning Cavern
> can all be found in which US state?

California

> 8. The Warsaw Caves, Duncan Crevice Caves, and Bonnechere Caves
> are all in which Canadian province?

Quebec; New Brunswick

> 9. While the Derinkuyu underground city is a man-made series of
> underground caves, they are astonishing in their scope, allowing
> old Testament peoples and -- centuries later -- early Christians
> to live in hiding relatively comfortably in groups of up to
> 20,000 more than 60 m underground. In which country is this?

Jordan

> 10. It's the longest ice cave in the world, at 42 km, though only
> the first kilometer is open to tourists. Dimly-lit and misty,
> it's apparently a profoundly eerie experience. In which country
> would you find the Eisriesenwelt Cave?

Austria; Switzerland

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Sbe nal nafjre,
> vs lbh tnir nal sbez bs "gur HX" be "Terng Oevgnva", cyrnfr tb onpx
> naq or zber fcrpvsvp guna "Terng Oevgnva".

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Aug 30, 2019, 6:32:55 PM8/30/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:8-CdnWR2yZzvofXAnZ2dnUU7-
enN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-15,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - What Car is This?
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-4/what.jpg
>
> For the questions #1-5, we'll give you the make of the car and
> nationality and you identify the logo by number.
>
> 1. Nissan (Japan).

13

7

> 3. Saab (Sweden).

15

4

8

> For the rest, we'll throw it into reverse. Decode the rot13 to
> see the logo numbers, and each case name the brand. I've sorted
> this part of the round by logo number for convenience; there were
> 6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer the
> decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> Ahzoref bar, guerr, sbhe, frira, naq guvegrra unir orra hfrq.
>
> 6. (qrpbl) #gjb.
> 7. #svir.

Opel

> 8. #fvk.

Maserati

> 9. (qrpbl) #rvtug.
> 10. (qrpbl) #avar.
> 11. #gra.
> 12. (qrpbl) #ryrira.
> 13. #gjryir.
> 14. (qrpbl) #sbhegrra.
> 15. (qrpbl) #svsgrra.
> 16. #fvkgrra.

Bughatti

> * Game 8, Round 5 - Audio - Protest Songs
>
> To quote the movie "The Wild One":
>
> "What are you rebelling against?"
> "What have you got?"
>
> This round features pop songs protesting various things of social
> importance. In the original game clips from them were played,
> of course, but here I'll generally give you the title and artist
> instead. Song #1 involves so many issues, though, that I'll simply
> ask you to name the artist.
>
> 1. "Eve of Destruction".
>
> For #2-10, then, I'll give you the title and artist, and what you
> have to name is the *social issue* that the song is about.
>
> 2. "Beds Are Burning" (Midnight Oil).

Spousal abuse

> 3. "Hurricane" (Bob Dylan).

Incarcerated black man

> 4. "Little Boxes" (Pete Seeger).

Taxes

> 5. "Signs" (Five Man Electrical Band).

Rebelling against authority

> 6. "Chicago" (Graham Nash).

Unrest during the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago

> 7. "Spanish Bombs" (the Clash).

Terrorism

> 8. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (U2).

The Troubles in Northern Ireland

> 9. "Ohio" (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young).

National guard shooting students at Kent State

> 10. "Society's Child" (Janis Ian).

Child abuse

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - The Hole in the Earth Catalog
>
> Here's a round on famous caves, caverns, and chasms.
>
> 1. This series of caverns in New Mexico, in the Chihuahua Desert,
> is crowned by the Big Room, a natural limestone chamber 1,200 m
> long, 200 m wide, and more than 100 m high. Name those famous
> caverns.

Carlsbad

> 2. Part of a US National Park in central Kentucky -- between
> Louisville and Bowling Green -- this cave is part of the longest
> cave system in the world. Despite its name, no fossils of
> large prehistoric mammals have ever been found there. Name it.

Mammoth Cave

> 3. The Cave of the Swallows (7th-deepest known cave in the world)
> and the Cave of Crystals (marked by crystal formations 10 m high)
> can both be found in what country?

Thailand; Japan

> 4. One of the world's most famous and beautiful sea caves is the
> Blue Grotto. Name the Mediterranean island off the coast of
> Italy where it can be found.

Capri

> 5. In 1829, the composer Felix Mendelssohn visited another
> famed sea cave, Fingal's Cave. It inspired him to compose
> the Hebrides Overture. Also called Uamh Binh and the Cave of
> Melody, you'd find the cave on an island off the coast of where?

Scotland

> 6. Considered a world wonder, Waitomo Cave is also called Glowworm
> Cave because of abundant luminous tiny organisms that put on
> an endless light show. In which Southern Hemisphere country
> would you find Waitomo Cave?

New Zealand

> 7. The Black Chasm, Lake Shasta Caverns, and the Moaning Cavern
> can all be found in which US state?

California

> 8. The Warsaw Caves, Duncan Crevice Caves, and Bonnechere Caves
> are all in which Canadian province?

Alberta; Quebec

> 9. While the Derinkuyu underground city is a man-made series of
> underground caves, they are astonishing in their scope, allowing
> old Testament peoples and -- centuries later -- early Christians
> to live in hiding relatively comfortably in groups of up to
> 20,000 more than 60 m underground. In which country is this?

Jordan; Iran

> 10. It's the longest ice cave in the world, at 42 km, though only
> the first kilometer is open to tourists. Dimly-lit and misty,
> it's apparently a profoundly eerie experience. In which country
> would you find the Eisriesenwelt Cave?

Switzerland; Poland

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Sbe nal nafjre,
> vs lbh tnir nal sbez bs "gur HX" be "Terng Oevgnva", cyrnfr tb onpx
> naq or zber fcrpvsvp guna "Terng Oevgnva".

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 2, 2019, 12:17:53 AM9/2/19
Mark Brader:

#13. 4 for Calvin, Erland, Bruce, Dan, and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

#7. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Dan, and Pete.

#4. 4 for Calvin, Erland, and Bruce.

#3. 4 for Bruce. 3 for Calvin.

#1. 4 for Bruce.

> For the rest, we'll throw it into reverse. Decode the rot13 to
> see the logo numbers, and each case name the brand. I've sorted
> this part of the round by logo number for convenience; there were
> 6 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer the
> decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 6. (decoy) #two.

Volvo (Sweden). Erland, Bruce, and Dan got this.

> 7. #five.

Renault (France). 4 for Calvin and Bruce.

> 8. #six.

Maserati (Italy). 4 for Calvin, Bruce, and Pete.

> 9. (decoy) #eight.

McLaren (UK). Bruce got this.

> 10. (decoy) #nine.

Geely (China).

> 11. #ten.

Aston Martin (UK). Bruce got this.

> 12. (decoy) #eleven.

Cadillac (US). Joshua, Bruce, and Dan got this.

> 13. #twelve.

Citroen (France). 4 for Bruce.

> 14. (decoy) #fourteen.

Peugeot (France). Calvin and Bruce got this.

> 15. (decoy) #fifteen.

Fiat (Italy). Bruce and Dan got this.

> 16. #sixteen.

Bentley (UK). 4 for Bruce.

> * Game 8, Round 5 - Audio - Protest Songs

> To quote the movie "The Wild One":

> "What are you rebelling against?"
> "What have you got?"

> This round features pop songs protesting various things of social
> importance. In the original game clips from them were played,
> of course, but here I'll generally give you the title and artist
> instead. Song #1 involves so many issues, though, that I'll simply
> ask you to name the artist.

> 1. "Eve of Destruction".

Barry McGuire. 4 for Joshua and Bruce.

> For #2-10, then, I'll give you the title and artist, and what you
> have to name is the *social issue* that the song is about.

> 2. "Beds Are Burning" (Midnight Oil).

Aboriginal displacement / land restitution. 4 for Joshua, Calvin,
and Erland.

> 3. "Hurricane" (Bob Dylan).

The wrongful conviction and imprisonment of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter.
"Racism" was insufficiently specific, and I required the man's name
for full points. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Dan. 3 for Pete.

> 4. "Little Boxes" (Pete Seeger).

Conformity, or suburban development. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. "Signs" (Five Man Electrical Band).

Signs, or authority. I accepted "discrimination against 'long-haired
freaky people'". 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 6. "Chicago" (Graham Nash).

The 1968 Democratic National Convention and its riotous aftermath,
including the "Chicago 7" trial. 4 for Joshua, Dan, and Pete.

> 7. "Spanish Bombs" (the Clash).

Spanish Civil War, or Basque separatist bombings. "Terrorism"
was insufficiently specific. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Erland.

> 8. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (U2).

"The Troubles" in Northern Ireland, or specifically the Bogside
Massacre. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Calvin, Erland, Bruce, Dan,
and Pete.

> 9. "Ohio" (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young).

The killing of Vietnam War protesters at Kent State U. 4 for Joshua,
Dan, and Pete.

> 10. "Society's Child" (Janis Ian).

Racism. 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Geography - The Hole in the Earth Catalog

> Here's a round on famous caves, caverns, and chasms.

> 1. This series of caverns in New Mexico, in the Chihuahua Desert,
> is crowned by the Big Room, a natural limestone chamber 1,200 m
> long, 200 m wide, and more than 100 m high. Name those famous
> caverns.

Carlsbad Caverns. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Dan, and Pete.

> 2. Part of a US National Park in central Kentucky -- between
> Louisville and Bowling Green -- this cave is part of the longest
> cave system in the world. Despite its name, no fossils of
> large prehistoric mammals have ever been found there. Name it.

Mammoth Cave. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, and Pete.

> 3. The Cave of the Swallows (7th-deepest known cave in the world)
> and the Cave of Crystals (marked by crystal formations 10 m high)
> can both be found in what country?

Mexico. 4 for Bruce.

> 4. One of the world's most famous and beautiful sea caves is the
> Blue Grotto. Name the Mediterranean island off the coast of
> Italy where it can be found.

Capri. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 5. In 1829, the composer Felix Mendelssohn visited another
> famed sea cave, Fingal's Cave. It inspired him to compose
> the Hebrides Overture. Also called Uamh Binh and the Cave of
> Melody, you'd find the cave on an island off the coast of where?

Accepting the Treshennish Isles; or any of the islands of Gometra,
Ulva, Little Colonsay, Iona, or Mull; or [just to make it easy :-)]
Scotland. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan, and Pete. 3 for Calvin
and Bruce.

> 6. Considered a world wonder, Waitomo Cave is also called Glowworm
> Cave because of abundant luminous tiny organisms that put on
> an endless light show. In which Southern Hemisphere country
> would you find Waitomo Cave?

New Zealand. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Bruce, Dan, and Pete.
3 for Calvin.

> 7. The Black Chasm, Lake Shasta Caverns, and the Moaning Cavern
> can all be found in which US state?

California. 4 for Bruce, Dan, and Pete. 2 for Calvin.

> 8. The Warsaw Caves, Duncan Crevice Caves, and Bonnechere Caves
> are all in which Canadian province?

Ontario.

> 9. While the Derinkuyu underground city is a man-made series of
> underground caves, they are astonishing in their scope, allowing
> old Testament peoples and -- centuries later -- early Christians
> to live in hiding relatively comfortably in groups of up to
> 20,000 more than 60 m underground. In which country is this?

Turkey. 4 for Erland. 2 for Bruce.

> 10. It's the longest ice cave in the world, at 42 km, though only
> the first kilometer is open to tourists. Dimly-lit and misty,
> it's apparently a profoundly eerie experience. In which country
> would you find the Eisriesenwelt Cave?

Austria. It means "Ice Giants World". 4 for Bruce. 3 for Dan.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Can Mis Aud Geo THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 32 10 7 40 20 92
Bruce Bowler 4 12 36 8 29 77
"Calvin" 20 0 19 16 12 55
Pete Gayde 4 8 12 19 24 55
Dan Tilque 20 8 8 16 19 55
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 8 12 16 36

--
Mark Brader | "In a case like this, where the idiom is old and its wiring
Toronto | probably a mess, we tamper with nothing. There is always