QFTCIMI515 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: two before, Canbiggest

Mark Brader

May 27, 2015, 1:31:30 AM5/27/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 7 - History - The One Before the One Before

We'll ask you to name *third-last* person who held a noteworthy
position. That is, not the current office-holder (or most recent,
if there is no such person at present), not the one before the
current or most recent office-holder, but the one before that.

For example, if we were playing this game in 1940 when Franklin
Roosevelt was president, the answer to #1 would be Calvin Coolidge
(who was followed by Warren Harding and then Roosevelt).

*Note*: For this round, if any answers have changed since the
original game, only the ones that are correct *when you post your
entry* will be accepted.

1. President of the United States.
2. Prime Minister of Canada.
3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.
4. King of the UK.
5. Monarch of the Netherlands.
6. President of France.
7. Mayor of Toronto.
8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.
9. Pope.
10. President of the International Olympic Committee.

* Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best

In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.

1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.

2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?

3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
longest freshwater beach in the world?

4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
Canada?

5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
the world? Some sections are 60 m high.

6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
is it in?

7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?

8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?

9. At 44,807 km², what is Canada's largest national park?

10. This Ontario ridge is home to the world's slowest-growing
trees, eastern white cedars which live for up to 1,000 years
and which grow particularly slowly in this environment.
Name the ridge.

--
Mark Brader | "If you have any problems, any at all, you come see me...
Toronto | although that would be a huge admission of failure on your part."

Joshua Kreitzer

May 27, 2015, 8:57:21 AM5/27/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:4K-dnRlQaY8sy_jInZ2dnUU7-
Tmd...@vex.net:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - The One Before the One Before
>
> We'll ask you to name *third-last* person who held a noteworthy
> position. That is, not the current office-holder (or most recent,
> if there is no such person at present), not the one before the
> current or most recent office-holder, but the one before that.
>
> For example, if we were playing this game in 1940 when Franklin
> Roosevelt was president, the answer to #1 would be Calvin Coolidge
> (who was followed by Warren Harding and then Roosevelt).

Coolidge was actually followed by Herbert Hoover and then by Roosevelt.

> *Note*: For this round, if any answers have changed since the
> original game, only the ones that are correct *when you post your
> entry* will be accepted.
>
> 1. President of the United States.

Bill Clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.

Martin

> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Boutros Boutros-Ghali

> 4. King of the UK.

George V

> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.

Juliana

> 6. President of France.

Chirac

> 9. Pope.

John Paul II

> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.

Samaranch

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?

Manitoulin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

bbowler

May 27, 2015, 9:14:02 AM5/27/15
Bill Clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.

Cretien?

> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Boutros-Ghali

> 4. King of the UK.

George V

> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.
> 6. President of France.

Chirac; Sarkosy

> 7. Mayor of Toronto.

Ford

> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.
> 9. Pope.

John Paul II

> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.

Samaranch?

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
> sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.
>
> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow", and
> infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.

North of Eastport Maine and Northwest of Campobello Island.

> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?

McKenzie?

> 3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
> longest freshwater beach in the world?
>
> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?

Great Bear

> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.
>
> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province is it
> in?
>
> 7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?

St John's Newfoundland

Dan Blum

May 27, 2015, 10:01:44 AM5/27/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - The One Before the One Before

> 1. President of the United States.

Bill Clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.

Mulroney

> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Ghali

> 4. King of the UK.

George V

> 6. President of France.

Mitterand

> 9. Pope.

John Paul II

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best

> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
> and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.

Bay of Fundy

> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?

St. Lawrence

> 4. At 31,792 km?, what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?

Lake Huron

> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.

Bay of Fundy

> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km?. What province
> is it in?

British Columbia

> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?

Isle Royale

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

May 27, 2015, 10:50:35 AM5/27/15
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 1:31:30 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - The One Before the One Before
>
> We'll ask you to name *third-last* person who held a noteworthy
> position. That is, not the current office-holder (or most recent,
> if there is no such person at present), not the one before the
> current or most recent office-holder, but the one before that.
>
> For example, if we were playing this game in 1940 when Franklin
> Roosevelt was president, the answer to #1 would be Calvin Coolidge
> (who was followed by Warren Harding and then Roosevelt).
>
> *Note*: For this round, if any answers have changed since the
> original game, only the ones that are correct *when you post your
> entry* will be accepted.

noted

> 1. President of the United States.

bill clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.

jean chretien

> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.

boutros boutros-ghali

> 4. King of the UK.

edward viii (?) ; george v (??)

> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.

queen beatrix's mother

> 6. President of France.

jacques chirac

> 7. Mayor of Toronto.

rob ford.

> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.

bg gordon o'connor (he's the only one I've ever met, so this is a complete wag based solely on that)

> 9. Pope.

john paul ii

> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.

killanin (??)

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
> sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.
>
> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
> and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.

off the southwest end of deer island in new brunswick, canada

> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?

the mackenzie river

> 3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
> longest freshwater beach in the world?

no idea, gotta be somewhere in canada along great slave lake maybe?

> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?

great bear lake

> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.

no idea

> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> is it in?

quebec

> 7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?

st john's, newfoundland ?

> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?

manitoulin

> 9. At 44,807 km², what is Canada's largest national park?

no idea

> 10. This Ontario ridge is home to the world's slowest-growing
> trees, eastern white cedars which live for up to 1,000 years
> and which grow particularly slowly in this environment.
> Name the ridge.

the niagara escarpment

swp

Peter Smyth

May 27, 2015, 1:44:19 PM5/27/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-09,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - The One Before the One Before
>
> We'll ask you to name *third-last* person who held a noteworthy
> position. That is, not the current office-holder (or most recent,
> if there is no such person at present), not the one before the
> current or most recent office-holder, but the one before that.
>
> For example, if we were playing this game in 1940 when Franklin
> Roosevelt was president, the answer to #1 would be Calvin Coolidge
> (who was followed by Warren Harding and then Roosevelt).
>
> Note: For this round, if any answers have changed since the
> original game, only the ones that are correct *when you post your
> entry* will be accepted.
>
> 1. President of the United States.
Bill Clinton
(not an answer but you could make a case for Dick Cheney as well)
> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.
Kim Campbell
> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.
Boutros Boutros Ghali
> 4. King of the UK.
George V
> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.
Juliana
> 6. President of France.
Jacques Chirac
> 7. Mayor of Toronto.
Ford
> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.
> 9. Pope.
John Paul II
> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.
Samaranch

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

May 27, 2015, 3:03:30 PM5/27/15
Mark Brader;
> > For example, if we were playing this game in 1940 when Franklin
> > Roosevelt was president, the answer to #1 would be Calvin Coolidge
> > (who was followed by Warren Harding and then Roosevelt).

Joshua Kreitzer:
> Coolidge was actually followed by Herbert Hoover and then by Roosevelt.

I knew that! <Slaps self>
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "(A topological cat is essential here.)"
m...@vex.net --Ian Stewart

Erland Sommarskog

May 27, 2015, 3:27:35 PM5/27/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. President of the United States.

Bill Clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.

Brian Mulroney (Hey, this answer should bring up some laughs in
Toronto. When you done laughing, give a go for the Prime Minister
of Sweden.)

> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Botrous Botrous Ghali

> 4. King of the UK.

Edward VI

> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.

Juliana

> 6. President of France.

Jacques Chirac

> 7. Mayor of Toronto.

The guy before Rob Ford

> 9. Pope.

John Paul II

> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.

João Havelange

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?

Snake

> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?

Great Slave Lake

> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> is it in?

Québec

Jason Kreitzer

May 27, 2015, 5:19:16 PM5/27/15
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 1:31:30 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
Bill Clinton
> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.
> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.
Kofi Annan?
> 4. King of the UK.
> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.
> 6. President of France.
> 7. Mayor of Toronto.
> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.
> 9. Pope.
Pope John Paul II
> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
> sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.
>
> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
> and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.
>
> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?
>
> 3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
> longest freshwater beach in the world?
>
> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?
>
> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.
>
> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> is it in?
>
> 7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?
>
> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?
>
> 9. At 44,807 km², what is Canada's largest national park?
>
> 10. This Ontario ridge is home to the world's slowest-growing
> trees, eastern white cedars which live for up to 1,000 years
> and which grow particularly slowly in this environment.
> Name the ridge.

No answers

Calvin

May 27, 2015, 7:25:52 PM5/27/15
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 3:31:30 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - The One Before the One Before
>
> 1. President of the United States.

Clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.

Mulroney

> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Boutros-Ghali

> 4. King of the UK.

George V

> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.
> 6. President of France.

Chirac

> 7. Mayor of Toronto.
> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.
> 9. Pope.

John Paul II

> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.

Samaranch

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
> sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.
>
> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
> and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.
>
> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?

McKenzie, McKinlay

> 3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
> longest freshwater beach in the world?
>
> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?

Great Bear Lake, Great Slave Lake

> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.
>
> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> is it in?

Alberta, Manitoba

> 7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?
>
> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?

Great Bear Island, Great Slave Island

> 9. At 44,807 km², what is Canada's largest national park?
>
> 10. This Ontario ridge is home to the world's slowest-growing
> trees, eastern white cedars which live for up to 1,000 years
> and which grow particularly slowly in this environment.
> Name the ridge.

cheers,
calvin

Pete

May 28, 2015, 11:03:46 AM5/28/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:4K-dnRlQaY8sy_jInZ2dnUU7-
Tmd...@vex.net:

Bill Clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.

Harper

> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Kofi Annan

> 4. King of the UK.

George V

> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.

Wilhelmina

> 6. President of France.

Sarkozy

> 7. Mayor of Toronto.
> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.
> 9. Pope.

John Paul II

> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.

Samaranch

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
> sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.
>
> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
> and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.
>
> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?

MacKenzie

> 3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
> longest freshwater beach in the world?
>
> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?
>
> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.
>
> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> is it in?

Nunavut

> 7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?
>
> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?
>
> 9. At 44,807 km², what is Canada's largest national park?

Banff

> 10. This Ontario ridge is home to the world's slowest-growing
> trees, eastern white cedars which live for up to 1,000 years
> and which grow particularly slowly in this environment.
> Name the ridge.

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

May 28, 2015, 11:40:44 AM5/28/15
In article <4K-dnRlQaY8sy_jI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - The One Before the One Before
>
> We'll ask you to name *third-last* person who held a noteworthy
> position. That is, not the current office-holder (or most recent,
> if there is no such person at present), not the one before the
> current or most recent office-holder, but the one before that.
>
> For example, if we were playing this game in 1940 when Franklin
> Roosevelt was president, the answer to #1 would be Calvin Coolidge
> (who was followed by Warren Harding and then Roosevelt).
>
> *Note*: For this round, if any answers have changed since the
> original game, only the ones that are correct *when you post your
> entry* will be accepted.
>
> 1. President of the United States.
Bill Clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.
> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.
Boutros Boutros Ghali

> 4. King of the UK.
> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.
> 6. President of France.
> 7. Mayor of Toronto.
> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.
> 9. Pope.
John Paul II

> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
> sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.
>
> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
> and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.
>
> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?
Yukon

> 3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
> longest freshwater beach in the world?
>
> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?
Great Bear Lake

> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.
>
> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> is it in?
Nunavut

> 7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?
St. John, Newfoundland

> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?
>
> 9. At 44,807 km², what is Canada's largest national park?
>
> 10. This Ontario ridge is home to the world's slowest-growing
> trees, eastern white cedars which live for up to 1,000 years
> and which grow particularly slowly in this environment.
> Name the ridge.

Erland Sommarskog

May 28, 2015, 2:59:16 PM5/28/15
>> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
>> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
>> is it in?
>
> Nunavut

Two contestants with this answer. Not that I know which is the correct
answer, but that much I know about Canada, that I can say that Nunavut is
an impossible answer. (Unless there been some status changes recently
that I have missed.)

Björn Lundin

May 28, 2015, 4:36:38 PM5/28/15
Clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.
> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.
Bhoutrus Bhoutrus Gahli

> 4. King of the UK.
Georg IV
> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.
> 6. President of France.
Mitterand
> 7. Mayor of Toronto.
> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.
> 9. Pope.
Johannes Paulus II
> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.
Samaranche

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
> sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.
>
> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
> and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.
>
> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?
Saint Lawrence ?

> 3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
> longest freshwater beach in the world?
>
> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?

Lake superior?

> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.
>
> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> is it in?
>
> 7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?

> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?
>
> 9. At 44,807 km², what is Canada's largest national park?
>
> 10. This Ontario ridge is home to the world's slowest-growing
> trees, eastern white cedars which live for up to 1,000 years
> and which grow particularly slowly in this environment.
> Name the ridge.

Björn

Calvin

May 28, 2015, 7:52:01 PM5/28/15
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 4:59:16 AM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> >> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> >> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> >> is it in?
> >
> > Nunavut
>
> Two contestants with this answer. Not that I know which is the correct
> answer, but that much I know about Canada, that I can say that Nunavut is
> an impossible answer. (Unless there been some status changes recently
> that I have missed.)

I originally guessed a territory but then changed it when I re-read the question.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 30, 2015, 2:25:41 AM5/30/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-09,
> see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - The One Before the One Before

> We'll ask you to name *third-last* person who held a noteworthy
> position. That is, not the current office-holder (or most recent,
> if there is no such person at present), not the one before the
> current or most recent office-holder, but the one before that.

> For example, if we were playing this game in 1940 when Franklin
> Roosevelt was president, the answer to #1 would be Calvin Coolidge
> (who was followed by Warren Harding and then Roosevelt).

Urk! That was Herbert Hoover, not Harding. My fault for doing
that bit from memory, after deciding I should add an example since
in this medium you wouldn't be able to ask for clarification.

> *Note*: For this round, if any answers have changed since the
> original game, only the ones that are correct *when you post your
> entry* will be accepted.

In fact none of the answers have changed in the 3 months or so since
the original game.

> 1. President of the United States.

Bill Clinton (started 1993; followed by G.W. Bush in 2001 and Barack
Obama in 2009). 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Bruce, Dan, Stephen,
Peter, Erland, Jason, Calvin, Pete, Marc, and Björn.

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.

Jean Chrétien (started 1993; followed by Paul Martin in 2003 and
Stephen Harper in 2006). 4 for Bruce and Stephen.

> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Boutros Boutros-Ghali (started 1992; followed by Kofi Annan in 1997
and Ban Ki-Moon in 2007). 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Stephen, Peter,
Erland, Calvin, Marc, and Björn.

I could not accept the answer "Ghali", which is only one half of the
man's double-barreled surname. The story behind the name, by the way,
is that *Boutros Ghali* was Prime Minister of Egypt from 1908 until
he was assassinated in 1910. His family decided to commemorate him
by changing their surname from Ghali to Boutros-Ghali. Then his
grandson was named after him, thus doubling up on the Boutros part.

> 4. King of the UK.

George V (started 1910; followed by Edward VIII and George VI, both
in 1936; no king since Elizabeth II succeded George VI in 1952).
4 for Joshua, Bruce, Dan, Peter, Calvin, and Pete. 2 for Stephen.

In the original game the preamble did not include the words "(or most
recent, if there is no such person at present)", even though that
was the intention, and therefore this question caused considerable
annoyance.

> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.

Queen Juliana (started 1948; followed by Queen Beatrix in 1980 and
King Willem-Alexander in 2013). 4 for Joshua, Peter, and Erland.

> 6. President of France.

Jacques Chirac (started 1995; followed by Nicolas Sarkozy in 2007
and François Hollande in 2012). 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Peter,
Erland, and Calvin. 3 for Bruce.

> 7. Mayor of Toronto.

David Miller (started 2003; followed by Rob Ford in 2010 and John
Tory in 2014).

> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.

Peter McKay (started 2007; followed by Rob Nicholson in 2013 and
Jason Kenney in 2015).

> 9. Pope.

St. John Paul II (started 1978; followed by Benedict XVI in 2005
and Francis I in 2013). 4 for everyone.

> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.

Juan Antonio Samaranch (started 1980; followed by Jacques Rogge in
2001 and Thomas Bach in 2013). 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Peter, Calvin,
Pete, and Björn.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best

> In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
> sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.

> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
> and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.

The western passage of Passamoquoddy Bay, along the Canada-US border.
Any mention of Passamoquoddy Bay or the Bay of Fundy (which it's a
bay on the side of) was acceptable. 4 for Bruce, Dan, and Stephen.

> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?

Mackenzie. 4 for Bruce, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> 3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
> longest freshwater beach in the world?

Wasaga Beach.

> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?

Great Bear Lake. 4 for Bruce, Stephen, and Marc. 3 for Calvin.

> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.

Sandbanks Provincial Park (near Picton, Ontario).

> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> is it in?

Quebec. 4 for Stephen and Erland.

That's slightly smaller than Massachusetts or Haiti. On this map:
http://naskapinews.com/files/2011/10/Screen-shot-2011-10-10-at-2.38.06-PM.png
the park is the largest green area, marked P10.

(Note that "National Park" in the context of that page means
"Quebec Provincial Park". Quebec likes to name things as if it
was an independent country.)

> 7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?

Cape Spear (Newfoundland).

> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?

Manitoulin I. (Lake Huron). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 9. At 44,807 km², what is Canada's largest national park?

Wood Buffalo National Park.

That's about the size of one Denmark or two New Jerseys. As this map
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nt/woodbuffalo/visit/~/media/pn-np/nt/woodbuffalo/reg_chs.ashx
shows, the park straddles the boundary between Alberta and the
Northwest Territories.

> 10. This Ontario ridge is home to the world's slowest-growing
> trees, eastern white cedars which live for up to 1,000 years
> and which grow particularly slowly in this environment.
> Name the ridge.

Niagara Escarpment. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Sci Ent Spo His Can FOUR
Stephen Perry 40 58 40 20 22 24 162
Joshua Kreitzer 28 23 35 8 28 4 114
Dan Blum 40 40 18 0 12 4 110
Peter Smyth 20 32 16 12 28 0 96
Marc Dashevsky 0 38 20 8 12 4 78
Bruce Bowler -- -- 20 12 27 12 71
Pete Gayde -- -- 16 32 16 4 68
"Calvin" 7 15 4 16 24 6 62
Erland Sommarskog 0 24 -- -- 20 4 48
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 24 4 8 0 36
Björn Lundin 0 16 0 0 16 0 32

--
Mark Brader "A healthy nation is as unconscious of its
Toronto nationality as a healthy man of his bones."

Dan Tilque

May 30, 2015, 6:09:32 AM5/30/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - History - The One Before the One Before
>
> We'll ask you to name *third-last* person who held a noteworthy
> position. That is, not the current office-holder (or most recent,
> if there is no such person at present), not the one before the
> current or most recent office-holder, but the one before that.
>
> For example, if we were playing this game in 1940 when Franklin
> Roosevelt was president, the answer to #1 would be Calvin Coolidge
> (who was followed by Warren Harding and then Roosevelt).
>
> *Note*: For this round, if any answers have changed since the
> original game, only the ones that are correct *when you post your
> entry* will be accepted.
>
> 1. President of the United States.

Clinton

> 2. Prime Minister of Canada.
> 3. Secretary-General of the United Nations.
> 4. King of the UK.

George V

> 5. Monarch of the Netherlands.
> 6. President of France.
> 7. Mayor of Toronto.
> 8. Canadian Minister of National Defence.
> 9. Pope.

John Paul I

> 10. President of the International Olympic Committee.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Canada's Biggest and Best
>
> In this round "largest" always refers to area, for features that can
> sensibly be measured by area. Note that this is a Canadiana round.
>
> 1. Where is the largest natural whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere
> located? The area of turbulent water is called the "Old Sow",
> and infrequently and randomly forms a funnel in the water.

Bay of Fundy

> 2. At 4,240 km, what is Canada's longest river?

McKenzie River

> 3. Stretching 14 km along the shore of Georgian Bay, what is the
> longest freshwater beach in the world?
>
> 4. At 31,792 km², what is the largest lake that is wholly inside
> Canada?

Lake Winnipeg

> 5. Where is the largest bay-mouth barrier dune formation in
> the world? Some sections are 60 m high.
>
> 6. Since its creation on 2012-12-14, a park named Tursujuq has been
> Canada's largest provincial park at 26,107 km². What province
> is it in?

Saskatchewan

> 7. What is the most easterly point in Canada and North America?
>
> 8. What is the world's largest island in a freshwater lake?

Manitoulin Island

> 9. At 44,807 km², what is Canada's largest national park?

Jasper

> 10. This Ontario ridge is home to the world's slowest-growing
> trees, eastern white cedars which live for up to 1,000 years
> and which grow particularly slowly in this environment.
> Name the ridge.

Niagara Escarpment

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

May 30, 2015, 4:13:35 PM5/30/15
If Dan Tilque's answers had been posted on time, he would have scored
8 on Round 7 and 16 on Round 8. Let's see if he can continue that
pattern with 32 on Round 9 and 64 on Round 10. :-)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I can't tell from this... whether you're
m...@vex.net | a wise man or a wise guy." --Ted Schuerzinger