Rotating Quiz #258 (corrected)

Mark Brader

Jun 1, 2017, 2:28:25 AM6/1/17
Arrgh. This is a repost of Rotating Quiz #258 to correct a
couple of errors that I spotted right after posting the quiz a
few minutes ago. One is a minor typo, but I also got someone's
name wrong. Sorry about that. At least I spotted it quickly
this time.

As I was saying, I'd like to thank Dan Blum for running RQ 257 and
for choosing questions that enabled me to win. The winner of this
contest, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 259.

As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and post all
your answers to the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the
questions you are answering and placing your answers below each one.

Entries must be posted by 2:22:22 PM Toronto time (zone -4) on
Tuesday, 2017-06-06. That gives you 5 days and about 12 hours
from the time of posting.

For this contest I'll go back to the scoring that I used in RQ 251,
meaning that the hardest questions people can answer will probably
be the ones that decide the contest.

That is, each question is worth the same number of points --
whatever is the smallest number that allows scoring in integers --
but those points will be *divided equally* between all entrants who
get it right. For example, say there are 4 entrants. Then each
question will be worth 12 points, and if you are the only one to
answer it correctly, you get all 12. In this case if 2 people
answer correctly, they each get 6 points; if 3 do, they each get 4;
and if all 4 get it, that's 3 points each.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be the entrant who
answered the *fewest* questions correctly to reach the tie score,
and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.

There are 22 questions in this quiz, but I hope a lot of them
will be easy. They are listed in random order within each of two
groups, but I won't tell you how what question number starts the
second group.

Note that some questions will provide details, but not necessarily
the most relevant ones; others will just be hints. In either case,
you must name whoever, or whatever, it is that I'm describing or
hinting at.

A hint to the theme that all answers must fit is available if you
can guess where to look for it.

1. This American New Wave writer won multiple Hugos, including
one for "Lord of Light".

2. This executive was the other title character of Michael Moore's
first documentary.

3. This 91-year-old has hundreds of movies (or TV-movies or
direct-to-video movies) credited to him as a producer or
director, including "Death Race 2000" in 1975, and 4 sequels or
remakes up to this year's "Death Race 2050". While his career
has been described as "Six Decades of Schlock", people who have
worked with him have included Martin Scorsese, Jack Nicholson,
Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, James Cameron, and
Ron Howard.

4. In the original novel he was censored, but in the movie he
was framed.

5. "For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly
than the spoken word can tell."

6. Dallas player, MVP of the VIth event.

7. 61*.

8. He was the first to tile the plane aperiodically with only
two different tiles, using a pattern with fivefold symmetry
about its center.

9. When he wasn't chosen to succeed Walter Cronkite as anchorman
for the main CBS newscast, this man moved to NBC. For about a
year their newscast was co-anchored by Tom Brokaw in New York
and him in Washington.

10. This 13th-century Englishman was a Renaissance man before there
was a Renaissance. He advocated that science should be based
on experiment; he worked in philosophy, astronomy, alchemy,
and math; he conceived machines that would not be practical
for centuries; but his work in optics was particularly important.

11. If you were married to Brigitte Bardot, wouldn't you make at
least a couple of movies starring her?

12. Some say GOAT.

13. Until recently he was the only person to have run Fox "News".

14. He was a regular on "The Mothers-in-Law" until he was fired
for demanding the studio pay him the amount specified in his
contract; but fans of the original "Star Trek" may best remember
him as Harry Mudd.

15. Who he?

16. Dead, now dead.

17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.

18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.

19. This British writer, now living in Colorado, specializes in
the subject of bicycle racing. Several of his books are about
Lance Armstrong; another is "World of Cycling".

20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".

21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
What was it?

22. An Iron Maiden he.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Jargon leakage is getting to be a real problem;
m...@vex.net | sb should do sth about it." --R.H. Draney

Dan Tilque

Jun 1, 2017, 6:18:12 AM6/1/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. This American New Wave writer won multiple Hugos, including
> one for "Lord of Light".

Roger Zelanzy

> 2. This executive was the other title character of Michael Moore's
> first documentary.

Roger Smith

> 3. This 91-year-old has hundreds of movies (or TV-movies or
> direct-to-video movies) credited to him as a producer or
> director, including "Death Race 2000" in 1975, and 4 sequels or
> remakes up to this year's "Death Race 2050". While his career
> has been described as "Six Decades of Schlock", people who have
> worked with him have included Martin Scorsese, Jack Nicholson,
> Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, James Cameron, and
> Ron Howard.
>
> 4. In the original novel he was censored, but in the movie he
> was framed.

Roger Rabbit

> 5. "For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly
> than the spoken word can tell."
>
> 6. Dallas player, MVP of the VIth event.

Roger Staubach

> 7. 61*.

Roger Maris

> 8. He was the first to tile the plane aperiodically with only
> two different tiles, using a pattern with fivefold symmetry
> about its center.

Roger Penrose

> 9. When he wasn't chosen to succeed Walter Cronkite as anchorman
> for the main CBS newscast, this man moved to NBC. For about a
> year their newscast was co-anchored by Tom Brokaw in New York
> and him in Washington.

Roger Mudd

> 10. This 13th-century Englishman was a Renaissance man before there
> was a Renaissance. He advocated that science should be based
> on experiment; he worked in philosophy, astronomy, alchemy,
> and math; he conceived machines that would not be practical
> for centuries; but his work in optics was particularly important.

Roger Bacon

> 11. If you were married to Brigitte Bardot, wouldn't you make at
> least a couple of movies starring her?
>
> 12. Some say GOAT.
>
> 13. Until recently he was the only person to have run Fox "News".

Roger Ailes

> 14. He was a regular on "The Mothers-in-Law" until he was fired
> for demanding the studio pay him the amount specified in his
> contract; but fans of the original "Star Trek" may best remember
> him as Harry Mudd.
>
> 15. Who he?

Woger

> 16. Dead, now dead.

Roger Moore

> 17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.

Roger Ebert

> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.

Roger Bannister

> 19. This British writer, now living in Colorado, specializes in
> the subject of bicycle racing. Several of his books are about
> Lance Armstrong; another is "World of Cycling".
>
> 20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
> members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
> ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".
>
> 21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
> In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
> and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
> What was it?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess Roger.

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Jun 1, 2017, 7:53:40 AM6/1/17
> answered the fewest questions correctly to reach the tie score,
Roger Rabbit
> 5. "For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly
> than the spoken word can tell."
>
> 6. Dallas player, MVP of the VIth event.
>
> 7. 61*.
>
> 8. He was the first to tile the plane aperiodically with only
> two different tiles, using a pattern with fivefold symmetry
> about its center.
Roger Penrose
> 9. When he wasn't chosen to succeed Walter Cronkite as anchorman
> for the main CBS newscast, this man moved to NBC. For about a
> year their newscast was co-anchored by Tom Brokaw in New York
> and him in Washington.
>
> 10. This 13th-century Englishman was a Renaissance man before there
> was a Renaissance. He advocated that science should be based
> on experiment; he worked in philosophy, astronomy, alchemy,
> and math; he conceived machines that would not be practical
> for centuries; but his work in optics was particularly important.
>
> 11. If you were married to Brigitte Bardot, wouldn't you make at
> least a couple of movies starring her?
>
> 12. Some say GOAT.
Roger Federer
> 13. Until recently he was the only person to have run Fox "News".
>
> 14. He was a regular on "The Mothers-in-Law" until he was fired
> for demanding the studio pay him the amount specified in his
> contract; but fans of the original "Star Trek" may best remember
> him as Harry Mudd.
>
> 15. Who he?
>
> 16. Dead, now dead.
Roger Moore
> 17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.
Roger Ebert
> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.
Roger Bannister
> 19. This British writer, now living in Colorado, specializes in
> the subject of bicycle racing. Several of his books are about
> Lance Armstrong; another is "World of Cycling".
>
> 20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
> members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
> ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".
>
> 21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
> In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
> and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
> What was it?
Roger!
> 22. An Iron Maiden he.

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Jun 1, 2017, 9:50:30 AM6/1/17
Roger Zelazny

> 3. This 91-year-old has hundreds of movies (or TV-movies or
> direct-to-video movies) credited to him as a producer or
> director, including "Death Race 2000" in 1975, and 4 sequels or
> remakes up to this year's "Death Race 2050". While his career
> has been described as "Six Decades of Schlock", people who have
> worked with him have included Martin Scorsese, Jack Nicholson,
> Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, James Cameron, and
> Ron Howard.

Roger Corman

> 4. In the original novel he was censored, but in the movie he
> was framed.

Roger Rabbit

> 6. Dallas player, MVP of the VIth event.

Roger Staubach

> 7. 61*.

Roger Maris

> 8. He was the first to tile the plane aperiodically with only
> two different tiles, using a pattern with fivefold symmetry
> about its center.

Roger Penrose

> 10. This 13th-century Englishman was a Renaissance man before there
> was a Renaissance. He advocated that science should be based
> on experiment; he worked in philosophy, astronomy, alchemy,
> and math; he conceived machines that would not be practical
> for centuries; but his work in optics was particularly important.

Roger Bacon

> 11. If you were married to Brigitte Bardot, wouldn't you make at
> least a couple of movies starring her?

Roger Vadim

> 13. Until recently he was the only person to have run Fox "News".

Roger Ailes

> 15. Who he?

Harold Ross

Doesn't fit the theme, I know, but that's my association for "Who he?"
Ross, the long-time editor of the New Yorker, used that as an
editorial comment whenever a writer mentioned someone he deemed
insufficiently well-known without explaining who they were.

> 16. Dead, now dead.

Roger Moore

> 17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.

Roger Ebert

> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.

Roger Bannister

> 21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
> In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
> and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
> What was it?

Roger

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 1, 2017, 11:23:52 AM6/1/17
In article <Vsidnb3eNbqZKbLE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> 1. This American New Wave writer won multiple Hugos, including
> one for "Lord of Light".
>
> 2. This executive was the other title character of Michael Moore's
> first documentary.
Roger Smith

> 3. This 91-year-old has hundreds of movies (or TV-movies or
> direct-to-video movies) credited to him as a producer or
> director, including "Death Race 2000" in 1975, and 4 sequels or
> remakes up to this year's "Death Race 2050". While his career
> has been described as "Six Decades of Schlock", people who have
> worked with him have included Martin Scorsese, Jack Nicholson,
> Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, James Cameron, and
> Ron Howard.
Roger Corman

> 4. In the original novel he was censored, but in the movie he
> was framed.
Roger Rabbit

> 5. "For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly
> than the spoken word can tell."
Roger Whittaker (1970s late night commercials taught me this)

> 6. Dallas player, MVP of the VIth event.
>
> 7. 61*.
Roger Maris

> 8. He was the first to tile the plane aperiodically with only
> two different tiles, using a pattern with fivefold symmetry
> about its center.
Roger Penrose

> 9. When he wasn't chosen to succeed Walter Cronkite as anchorman
> for the main CBS newscast, this man moved to NBC. For about a
> year their newscast was co-anchored by Tom Brokaw in New York
> and him in Washington.
Roger Mudd

> 10. This 13th-century Englishman was a Renaissance man before there
> was a Renaissance. He advocated that science should be based
> on experiment; he worked in philosophy, astronomy, alchemy,
> and math; he conceived machines that would not be practical
> for centuries; but his work in optics was particularly important.
Roger Bacon

> 11. If you were married to Brigitte Bardot, wouldn't you make at
> least a couple of movies starring her?
>
> 12. Some say GOAT.
Tom Brady!

> 13. Until recently he was the only person to have run Fox "News".
Roger Ailes

> 14. He was a regular on "The Mothers-in-Law" until he was fired
> for demanding the studio pay him the amount specified in his
> contract; but fans of the original "Star Trek" may best remember
> him as Harry Mudd.
>
> 15. Who he?
>
> 16. Dead, now dead.
>
> 17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.
Roger Ebert

> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.
Roger Bannister

> 19. This British writer, now living in Colorado, specializes in
> the subject of bicycle racing. Several of his books are about
> Lance Armstrong; another is "World of Cycling".
>
> 20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
> members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
> ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".
>
> 21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
> In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
> and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
> What was it?
>
> 22. An Iron Maiden he.

Dan Tilque

Jun 2, 2017, 2:40:35 AM6/2/17
Dan Blum wrote:
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>
>> 15. Who he?
>
> Harold Ross
>
> Doesn't fit the theme, I know, but that's my association for "Who he?"
> Ross, the long-time editor of the New Yorker, used that as an
> editorial comment whenever a writer mentioned someone he deemed
> insufficiently well-known without explaining who they were.

My answer to this ("Woger") was because I thought it might be some kind
of reference to the "Life of Brian" sketch. But after I posted, I
realized the answer is probably Roger Daltrey.

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Jun 3, 2017, 1:21:59 AM6/3/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. This American New Wave writer won multiple Hugos, including
> one for "Lord of Light".

Roger Zelazny (sp?)

> 2. This executive was the other title character of Michael Moore's
> first documentary.

Roger Andme

> 3. This 91-year-old has hundreds of movies (or TV-movies or
> direct-to-video movies) credited to him as a producer or
> director, including "Death Race 2000" in 1975, and 4 sequels or
> remakes up to this year's "Death Race 2050". While his career
> has been described as "Six Decades of Schlock", people who have
> worked with him have included Martin Scorsese, Jack Nicholson,
> Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, James Cameron, and
> Ron Howard.

Roger Corman

> 4. In the original novel he was censored, but in the movie he
> was framed.

Roger Rabbit

> 5. "For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly
> than the spoken word can tell."

Nope

> 6. Dallas player, MVP of the VIth event.

Roger Staubach

> 7. 61*.

Roger Maris

> 8. He was the first to tile the plane aperiodically with only
> two different tiles, using a pattern with fivefold symmetry
> about its center.

Roger Penrose

> 9. When he wasn't chosen to succeed Walter Cronkite as anchorman
> for the main CBS newscast, this man moved to NBC. For about a
> year their newscast was co-anchored by Tom Brokaw in New York
> and him in Washington.

Roger Sthesauraus

> 10. This 13th-century Englishman was a Renaissance man before there
> was a Renaissance. He advocated that science should be based
> on experiment; he worked in philosophy, astronomy, alchemy,
> and math; he conceived machines that would not be practical
> for centuries; but his work in optics was particularly important.

Roger Bacon

> 11. If you were married to Brigitte Bardot, wouldn't you make at
> least a couple of movies starring her?

Roger Vadim

> 12. Some say GOAT.

Roger Federer

> 13. Until recently he was the only person to have run Fox "News".

Roger Ailes (sp)

> 14. He was a regular on "The Mothers-in-Law" until he was fired
> for demanding the studio pay him the amount specified in his
> contract; but fans of the original "Star Trek" may best remember
> him as Harry Mudd.
>
> 15. Who he?

Me not know

> 16. Dead, now dead.

Jerry Garcia ???

> 17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.

Roger Ebert

> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.

Roger Bannister (3:59.4)

> 19. This British writer, now living in Colorado, specializes in
> the subject of bicycle racing. Several of his books are about
> Lance Armstrong; another is "World of Cycling".

David Walsh (yeah, yeah, I know)

> 20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
> members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
> ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".

Wilco (don't start with Blue Sky Blue or Star Wars, get Summerteeth [if
you like tunes] and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot [if tunes aren't your thing])

> 21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
> In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
> and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
> What was it?

Wilco?? (Man that's some obscure LoTR knowledge)

> 22. An Iron Maiden he.

Dennis Wilcock

Mark Brader

Jun 4, 2017, 3:38:59 PM6/4/17
You have a bit less than 2 days remaining to enter RQ 258, if you
have not done so already. See the original contest posting for
further details. I'll just repeat this part:

Calvin

Jun 4, 2017, 9:03:19 PM6/4/17
Roger Rabbit

> 5. "For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly
> than the spoken word can tell."
>
> 6. Dallas player, MVP of the VIth event.
>
> 7. 61*.

Billy Crystal's baseball movie

> 8. He was the first to tile the plane aperiodically with only
> two different tiles, using a pattern with fivefold symmetry
> about its center.
>
> 9. When he wasn't chosen to succeed Walter Cronkite as anchorman
> for the main CBS newscast, this man moved to NBC. For about a
> year their newscast was co-anchored by Tom Brokaw in New York
> and him in Washington.
>
> 10. This 13th-century Englishman was a Renaissance man before there
> was a Renaissance. He advocated that science should be based
> on experiment; he worked in philosophy, astronomy, alchemy,
> and math; he conceived machines that would not be practical
> for centuries; but his work in optics was particularly important.

Bacon?

> 11. If you were married to Brigitte Bardot, wouldn't you make at
> least a couple of movies starring her?

Vadim

> 12. Some say GOAT.

Jordan

> 13. Until recently he was the only person to have run Fox "News".
>
> 14. He was a regular on "The Mothers-in-Law" until he was fired
> for demanding the studio pay him the amount specified in his
> contract; but fans of the original "Star Trek" may best remember
> him as Harry Mudd.
>
> 15. Who he?
>
> 16. Dead, now dead.
>
> 17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.
>
> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.

Bannister

> 19. This British writer, now living in Colorado, specializes in
> the subject of bicycle racing. Several of his books are about
> Lance Armstrong; another is "World of Cycling".
>
> 20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
> members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
> ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".
>
> 21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
> In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
> and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
> What was it?
>
> 22. An Iron Maiden he.

cheers,
calvin

swp

Jun 5, 2017, 10:08:20 PM6/5/17
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 2:28:25 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Arrgh.

and a happy speak like a pirate day to you as well

> This is a repost of Rotating Quiz #258 to correct a
> couple of errors

then you shouldn't have let a grad student post it for you in the first place. it is a well known fact that you are infallible.

> For this contest I'll go back to the scoring that I used in RQ 251,
> meaning that the hardest questions people can answer will probably
> be the ones that decide the contest.

"roger roger" - droid army saying

> There are 22 questions in this quiz, but I hope a lot of them
> will be easy. They are listed in random order within each of two
> groups, but I won't tell you how what question number starts the
> second group.
>
> Note that some questions will provide details, but not necessarily
> the most relevant ones; others will just be hints. In either case,
> you must name whoever, or whatever, it is that I'm describing or
> hinting at.
>
> A hint to the theme that all answers must fit is available if you
> can guess where to look for it.
>

> 1. This American New Wave writer won multiple Hugos, including
> one for "Lord of Light".

roger zelazny

> 2. This executive was the other title character of Michael Moore's
> first documentary.

roger smith

> 3. This 91-year-old has hundreds of movies (or TV-movies or
> direct-to-video movies) credited to him as a producer or
> director, including "Death Race 2000" in 1975, and 4 sequels or
> remakes up to this year's "Death Race 2050". While his career
> has been described as "Six Decades of Schlock", people who have
> worked with him have included Martin Scorsese, Jack Nicholson,
> Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, James Cameron, and
> Ron Howard.

roger corman

> 4. In the original novel he was censored, but in the movie he
> was framed.

roger rabbit (his wife isn't bad, she's just drawn that way)

> 5. "For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly
> than the spoken word can tell."

roger whittaker

> 6. Dallas player, MVP of the VIth event.

roger staubach

> 7. 61*.

roger maris

> 8. He was the first to tile the plane aperiodically with only
> two different tiles, using a pattern with fivefold symmetry
> about its center.

roger penrose?

> 9. When he wasn't chosen to succeed Walter Cronkite as anchorman
> for the main CBS newscast, this man moved to NBC. For about a
> year their newscast was co-anchored by Tom Brokaw in New York
> and him in Washington.

roger mudd

> 10. This 13th-century Englishman was a Renaissance man before there
> was a Renaissance. He advocated that science should be based
> on experiment; he worked in philosophy, astronomy, alchemy,
> and math; he conceived machines that would not be practical
> for centuries; but his work in optics was particularly important.

roger bacon

> 11. If you were married to Brigitte Bardot, wouldn't you make at
> least a couple of movies starring her?

roger vadim

> 12. Some say GOAT.

roger federer

> 13. Until recently he was the only person to have run Fox "News".

roger ailes

> 14. He was a regular on "The Mothers-in-Law" until he was fired
> for demanding the studio pay him the amount specified in his
> contract; but fans of the original "Star Trek" may best remember
> him as Harry Mudd.

roger carmel

> 15. Who he?

roger daltry

> 16. Dead, now dead.

roger moore

> 17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.

roger ebert

> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.

roger bannister

> 19. This British writer, now living in Colorado, specializes in
> the subject of bicycle racing. Several of his books are about
> Lance Armstrong; another is "World of Cycling".

gah! ... um, that is ... wilcoxson?

> 20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
> members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
> ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".

wilco

> 21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
> In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
> and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
> What was it?

wilcome

> 22. An Iron Maiden he.

dennis wilcock (if you wanted steve harris I will be ... unhappy)

swp, who has no idea what to do for the next rq if he wins

Mark Brader

Jun 6, 2017, 10:53:24 PM6/6/17
Mark Brader:
> For this contest I'll go back to the scoring that I used in RQ 251,
> meaning that the hardest questions people can answer will probably
> be the ones that decide the contest.
>
> That is, each question is worth the same number of points --
> whatever is the smallest number that allows scoring in integers --
> but those points will be *divided equally* between all entrants who
> get it right. For example, say there are 4 entrants. Then each
> question will be worth 12 points, and if you are the only one to
> answer it correctly, you get all 12. In this case if 2 people
> answer correctly, they each get 6 points; if 3 do, they each get 4;
> and if all 4 get it, that's 3 points each.

Exactly as in RQ 251, there were 7 entrants -- in fact, they were
the same 7 -- so each question was worth LCM(1,2,3,4,5,6,7) = 420
points, divided equally between everyone who got it.

> There are 22 questions in this quiz, but a lot of them should be
> easy. They are listed in random order within each of two groups,
> but I won't tell you how many are in each group.

> Note that some questions will provide details, but not necessarily
> the most relevant ones; others will just be hints. In either case,
> you must name whoever, or whatever, it is that I'm describing or
> hinting at.

> If you look in the right place you can find a hint to the theme
> which all answers must fit.

The hint was in my response to the RQ 257 results, when Dan Blum
wrote that I "may set RQ #258 at his convenience" and I replied
"Roger wilco". As everyone no doubt knows, this is old-time
airplane radio talk; "Roger" was "R" in some old spelling alphabet
and means "message Received", and "wilco" means will comply".

And as I wrote those words I came up with the theme of this quiz.
All questions in the first group, which was #1-18, asked for people
or fictional characters named Roger; and in the second group, all
answers (or to be exact the required part) start with "Wilco".

I thought two of the Wilco questions were absurdly hard, but that
didn't keep Stephen Perry from scoring on them. Which he did not
even need in order to WIN THIS QUIZ. Hearty congratulations!

> 1. This American New Wave writer won multiple Hugos, including
> one for "Lord of Light".

Roger Zelazny. 105 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Gareth, and Stephen.

> 2. This executive was the other title character of Michael Moore's
> first documentary.

Roger Smith. ("Roger & Me". "Me" was Moore, and Smith was the CEO
of GM at the time.) 140 for Dan Tilque, Marc, and Stephen.

> 3. This 91-year-old has hundreds of movies (or TV-movies or
> direct-to-video movies) credited to him as a producer or
> director, including "Death Race 2000" in 1975, and 4 sequels or
> remakes up to this year's "Death Race 2050". While his career
> has been described as "Six Decades of Schlock", people who have
> worked with him have included Martin Scorsese, Jack Nicholson,
> Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, James Cameron, and
> Ron Howard.

Roger Corman. 105 for Dan Blum, Marc, Gareth, and Stephen.

> 4. In the original novel he was censored, but in the movie he
> was framed.

Roger Rabbit. 60 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, Marc,
Gareth, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 5. "For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly
> than the spoken word can tell."

Roger Whittaker. (Singer; lyrics from "The Last Farewell".)
210 for Marc and Stephen.

> 6. Dallas player, MVP of the VIth event.

Roger Staubach. (The reference is to Super Bowl VI). 105 for
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Gareth, and Stephen.

> 7. 61*.

Roger Maris. (The reference is to his record for the most home runs
in a season, but a season that was longer than the one when Babe Ruth
set the previous record at 60.) 84 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc,
Gareth, and Stephen.

> 8. He was the first to tile the plane aperiodically with only
> two different tiles, using a pattern with fivefold symmetry
> about its center.

Roger Penrose. (See <http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PenroseTiles.html>.)
70 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Gareth, and Stephen.

> 9. When he wasn't chosen to succeed Walter Cronkite as anchorman
> for the main CBS newscast, this man moved to NBC. For about a
> year their newscast was co-anchored by Tom Brokaw in New York
> and him in Washington.

Roger Mudd. 140 for Dan Tilque, Marc, and Stephen. Chuckle points
to Gareth for "Roger Sthesauraus".

> 10. This 13th-century Englishman was a Renaissance man before there
> was a Renaissance. He advocated that science should be based
> on experiment; he worked in philosophy, astronomy, alchemy,
> and math; he conceived machines that would not be practical
> for centuries; but his work in optics was particularly important.

Roger Bacon. 70 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc, Gareth, Calvin,
and Stephen.

> 11. If you were married to Brigitte Bardot, wouldn't you make at
> least a couple of movies starring her?

Roger Vadim. ("...And God Created Woman" and "Plucking the Daisy",
both in 1956; and three more movies after their divorce in 1957.)
105 for Dan Blum, Gareth, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 12. Some say GOAT.

Roger Federer. ("Greatest" tennis player "Of All Time".) 140 for
Peter, Gareth, and Stephen.

> 13. Until recently he was the only person to have run Fox "News".

Roger Ailes. 84 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc, Gareth, and Stephen.

> 14. He was a regular on "The Mothers-in-Law" until he was fired
> for demanding the studio pay him the amount specified in his
> contract; but fans of the original "Star Trek" may best remember
> him as Harry Mudd.

Roger C. Carmel. 420 for Stephen.

> 15. Who he?

Roger Daltrey. (Singer and prime founder of the Who.) 420 for
Stephen.

> 16. Dead, now dead.

Roger Moore. (Reference to "Bond, James Bond" and his recent demise.)
105 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.

Roger Ebert. (Gene Siskel of the Tribune was the thin one.)
70 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Gareth, and Stephen.

> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.

Roger Bannister. (Running 1 mile in 3:59:59.4. Then John Landy
did it in 3:57.9, offically rounded up to 3:58.0.) 60 for everyone.

> 19. This British writer, now living in Colorado, specializes in
> the subject of bicycle racing. Several of his books are about
> Lance Armstrong; another is "World of Cycling".

John Wilcockson. 420 for Stephen.

> 20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
> members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
> ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".

Wilco. 210 for Gareth and Stephen.

> 21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
> In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
> and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
> What was it?

Wilcome Cotton. (See Appendix C.) 420 for Stephen.

> 22. An Iron Maiden he.

Dennis Wilcock. (Read it the same way as #15.) 210 for Gareth
and Stephen.

To keep the width of the score table reasonable, I'll arbitrarily
split it after question 12.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Stephen Perry 105 140 105 60 210 105 84 70 140 70 105 140
Gareth Owen 105 0 105 60 0 105 84 70 0 70 105 140
Marc Dashevsky 0 140 105 60 210 0 84 70 140 70 0 0
Dan Tilque 105 140 0 60 0 105 84 70 140 70 0 0
Dan Blum 105 0 105 60 0 105 84 70 0 70 105 0
Peter Smyth 0 0 0 60 0 0 0 70 0 0 0 140
"Calvin" 0 0 0 60 0 0 0 0 0 70 105 0

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 TOTALS

Stephen Perry 84 420 420 105 70 60 420 210 420 210 3,753
Gareth Owen 84 0 0 0 70 60 0 210 0 210 1,478
Marc Dashevsky 84 0 0 0 70 60 0 0 0 0 1,093
Dan Tilque 84 0 0 105 70 60 0 0 0 0 1,093
Dan Blum 84 0 0 105 70 60 0 0 0 0 1,023
Peter Smyth 0 0 0 105 70 60 0 0 0 0 505
"Calvin" 0 0 0 0 0 60 0 0 0 0 295

And now it's over to Stephen for RQ 259. If you please, sir...
--
Mark Brader A real Canadian science-fiction plot would be
Toronto about whether alien visitors were a federal or

Gareth Owen

Jun 7, 2017, 2:36:07 PM6/7/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

>> 15. Who he?
>
> Roger Daltrey. (Singer and prime founder of the Who.) 420 for
> Stephen.

D'oh!

>> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.
>
> Roger Bannister. (Running 1 mile in 3:59:59.4.

I'm pretty certain I could have beaten that.
Hell, I've run a marathon faster than *that*.

Mark Brader

Jun 7, 2017, 3:15:26 PM6/7/17
Mark Brader:
>>> 15. Who he?
>>
>> Roger Daltrey. (Singer and prime founder of the Who.) 420 for
>> Stephen.

Gareth Owen:
> D'oh!

Grin.

>>> 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.
>>
>> Roger Bannister. (Running 1 mile in 3:59:59.4.
>
> I'm pretty certain I could have beaten that.

D'oh! And LOL! For the record (groan), it was really 3:59.4.
--
Mark Brader | I hate to get pedantic [*], but...
Toronto | [*] I also lie a lot.

swp

Jun 8, 2017, 7:46:39 PM6/8/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 10:53:24 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>
> I thought two of the Wilco questions were absurdly hard, but that
> didn't keep Stephen Perry from scoring on them. Which he did not
> even need in order to WIN THIS QUIZ. Hearty congratulations!

I only thought 1 of them was really hard, because one of my sisters-in-law lives near the other one in colorado.

> > 1. This American New Wave writer won multiple Hugos, including
> > one for "Lord of Light".
>
> Roger Zelazny. 105 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Gareth, and Stephen.
>
> > 2. This executive was the other title character of Michael Moore's
> > first documentary.
>
> Roger Smith. ("Roger & Me". "Me" was Moore, and Smith was the CEO
> of GM at the time.) 140 for Dan Tilque, Marc, and Stephen.
>
> > 3. This 91-year-old has hundreds of movies (or TV-movies or
> > direct-to-video movies) credited to him as a producer or
> > director, including "Death Race 2000" in 1975, and 4 sequels or
> > remakes up to this year's "Death Race 2050". While his career
> > has been described as "Six Decades of Schlock", people who have
> > worked with him have included Martin Scorsese, Jack Nicholson,
> > Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, James Cameron, and
> > Ron Howard.
>
> Roger Corman. 105 for Dan Blum, Marc, Gareth, and Stephen.
>
> > 4. In the original novel he was censored, but in the movie he
> > was framed.
>
> Roger Rabbit. 60 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, Marc,
> Gareth, Calvin, and Stephen.
>
> > 5. "For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly
> > than the spoken word can tell."
>
> Roger Whittaker. (Singer; lyrics from "The Last Farewell".)
> 210 for Marc and Stephen.

kudos to Marc on his good taste in music
I had no idea he was a regular on 'the nmothers-in-law'

> > 15. Who he?
>
> Roger Daltrey. (Singer and prime founder of the Who.) 420 for
> Stephen.

I am shocked and appalled. how can I be the only one?

> > 16. Dead, now dead.
>
> Roger Moore. (Reference to "Bond, James Bond" and his recent demise.)
> 105 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
>
> > 17. The fat one, who worked for the Sun-Times.
>
> Roger Ebert. (Gene Siskel of the Tribune was the thin one.)
> 70 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Gareth, and Stephen.
>
> > 18. He held a world record for 46 days in 1954.
>
> Roger Bannister. (Running 1 mile in 3:59:59.4. Then John Landy
> did it in 3:57.9, offically rounded up to 3:58.0.) 60 for everyone.
>
> > 19. This British writer, now living in Colorado, specializes in
> > the subject of bicycle racing. Several of his books are about
> > Lance Armstrong; another is "World of Cycling".
>
> John Wilcockson. 420 for Stephen.

see above comment about my wife's sister.

> > 20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
> > members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
> > ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".
>
> Wilco. 210 for Gareth and Stephen.

kudos to Gareth for living through those turbulent times in music and coming away with no permanent damage.

> > 21. At the end of "The Lord of the Rings", Sam marries Rose Cotton.
> > In the appendices you may learn that her brother known as Jolly,
> > and her uncle known as Will, actually both had the same name.
> > What was it?
>
> Wilcome Cotton. (See Appendix C.) 420 for Stephen.

again, shocked by this one.

> > 22. An Iron Maiden he.
>
> Dennis Wilcock. (Read it the same way as #15.) 210 for Gareth
> and Stephen.

and here I see Gareth has once again shown that he is a gentleman and a scholar.

> To keep the width of the score table reasonable, I'll arbitrarily
> split it after question 12.
>

> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
>
> Stephen Perry 105 140 105 60 210 105 84 70 140 70 105 140
> Gareth Owen 105 0 105 60 0 105 84 70 0 70 105 140
> Marc Dashevsky 0 140 105 60 210 0 84 70 140 70 0 0
> Dan Tilque 105 140 0 60 0 105 84 70 140 70 0 0
> Dan Blum 105 0 105 60 0 105 84 70 0 70 105 0
> Peter Smyth 0 0 0 60 0 0 0 70 0 0 0 140
> "Calvin" 0 0 0 60 0 0 0 0 0 70 105 0
>

> 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 TOTALS
>
> Stephen Perry 84 420 420 105 70 60 420 210 420 210 3,753
> Gareth Owen 84 0 0 0 70 60 0 210 0 210 1,478
> Marc Dashevsky 84 0 0 0 70 60 0 0 0 0 1,093
> Dan Tilque 84 0 0 105 70 60 0 0 0 0 1,093
> Dan Blum 84 0 0 105 70 60 0 0 0 0 1,023
> Peter Smyth 0 0 0 105 70 60 0 0 0 0 505
> "Calvin" 0 0 0 0 0 60 0 0 0 0 295
>

> And now it's over to Stephen for RQ 259. If you please, sir...

and so it shall be. I will post it later tonight. stayed tuned.

swp

Gareth Owen

Jun 9, 2017, 12:00:39 AM6/9/17
swp <stephen...@gmail.com> writes:

>> > 20. This "alternative rock" band was formed in 1994 by former
>> > members of Uncle Tupelo. Singer Jeff Tweedy has been with them
>> > ever since. Albums include "Blue Sky Blue" and "Star Wars".
>>
>> Wilco. 210 for Gareth and Stephen.
>
> kudos to Gareth for living through those turbulent times in music and
> coming away with no permanent damage.

Wilco are great, and anyone who says otherwise can kindly step outside
to settle this like gentleman. (Though I confess, I thought Farrar was
the one in Uncle Tupelo who'd go on to great things).