Calvin's Quiz #433

Calvin

Mar 30, 2016, 8:00:32 PM3/30/16

1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights'?
2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?
3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?
4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?
5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?
6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to humans, is commonly found in Australian bats?
7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of each inning?
8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the inspiration for which literary character?
9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?
10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or a kick?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 30, 2016, 9:50:08 PM3/30/16
"Calvin":
> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin
> Hood: Men in Tights'?

Brooks.

> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?

Lion.

> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula
> developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic
> created by having a number of electric and acoustic
> instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison appears on
> tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' and The
> Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?

Wall of Sound.

> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?

You mean the original version published by Parker Bros. Then the answer
is Atlantic City, NJ. But the game was about 30 years old by then and
existed in many versions, mostly privately produced.

> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?

Euchre.

> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to
> humans, is commonly found in Australian bats?

Damn, got me on an Australia question. I'll say coxsackie virus;
I have no idea what that is.

> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top'
> of each inning?

The visiting team.

> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was
> the inspiration for which literary character?

Sherlock Holmes.

> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major
> benchmarks for which commodity?

Oil.

> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow
> boat or a kick?

Punt.
--
Mark Brader | "No [flying machine] will ever fly from New York to
Toronto | Paris ...[because] no known motor can run at the
| -- Orville Wright, March 1909

Dan Tilque

Mar 30, 2016, 11:11:12 PM3/30/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights'?

Mel Brooks

> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?

penguin

> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?

wall of sound

> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?

Atlantic City, NJ

> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?
> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to humans, is commonly found in Australian bats?
> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of each inning?

visiting team

> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the inspiration for which literary character?

Sherlock Holmes

> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?

petroleum

> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or a kick?

punt

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 31, 2016, 1:51:28 AM3/31/16
In article <84d1b3b8-3ec0-4ad2...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights'?
Mel Brooks

> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?
lion

> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?
wall of sound

> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?
Atlantic City NJ

> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?
> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to humans, is commonly found in Australian bats?
> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of each inning?
visitors

> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the inspiration for which literary character?
Sherlock Holmes

> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?
crude oil

> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or a kick?
punt

> cheers,
> calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 31, 2016, 4:16:16 AM3/31/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?

Cow

> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula
> developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by
> having a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the
> same parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's
> 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?

Wall of Sound

> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?

Atlantic City, NJ

> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?

Kille

> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of
> each inning?

The best team

> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the
> inspiration for which literary character?

Dr Watson

> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major
> benchmarks for which commodity?

Oil

Björn Lundin

Mar 31, 2016, 5:23:17 AM3/31/16
On 2016-03-31 02:00, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights'?
Mel Brooks
> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?
> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?
> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?
Philadelphia
> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?
> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to humans, is commonly found in Australian bats?
> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of each inning?
Home team?
> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the inspiration for which literary character?
Dr Jekyll?
> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?
> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or a kick?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

bbowler

Mar 31, 2016, 1:53:41 PM3/31/16
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:00:31 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood:
> Men in Tights'?

Mel Brooks

> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?

Lion

> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula
developed by
> Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having a
> number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same parts
> in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to
> Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?

The "wall of sound"

> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?

Atlantic City, NJ

> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?

Euchre

> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to
humans, is
> commonly found in Australian bats?
> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of
each
> inning?

The away/visiting team

> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the
> inspiration for which literary character?

Sherlock Holmes

> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks
> for which commodity?

Crude Oil

> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or a
> kick?

Punt

Gareth Owen

Mar 31, 2016, 2:00:19 PM3/31/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood:
> Men in Tights'?

Mel Brooks

> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?

Lion

> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula developed
> by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having a
> number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same
> parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's
> Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?

Wall of Sound

"A '57 Chevy running on melted down Crystals records"
- Greil Marcus on "Born To Run"

> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?

Philadelphia

> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?

No idea

> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to humans,
> is commonly found in Australian bats?

Hydrophobia

> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of
> each inning?

Visiting team

> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the
> inspiration for which literary character?

Dr Jekyll?

> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks
> for which commodity?

Crude Oil

> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or a
> kick?

Punt

Chris F.A. Johnson

Mar 31, 2016, 3:08:02 PM3/31/16
On 2016-03-31, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights'?

Mel brooks

> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?

Lion

> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?

Wall of Sound

> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?

Atlantic City

> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?

Euchre

> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to humans, is commonly found in Australian bats?
> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of each inning?

Visiting team

> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the inspiration for which literary character?

Sherlock Holmes

> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?

Oil

> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or a kick?

Punt

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Peter Smyth

Mar 31, 2016, 3:15:14 PM3/31/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood:
> Men in Tights'?
Mel Brooks
> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?
Lion
> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula developed
> by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having
> a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same
> parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's
> 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?
Wall of Sound
> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?
Atlantic City
> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?
Euchre
> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to humans,
> is commonly found in Australian bats?
>
> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of
> each inning?
Away team
> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the
> inspiration for which literary character?
Sherlock Holmes
> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks
> for which commodity?
Crude Oil
> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or
> a kick?
Punt

Peter Smyth

Pete

Mar 31, 2016, 5:42:27 PM3/31/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin
> Hood: Men in Tights'?

Mel Brooks

> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the
> Dutch banking company ING?

Lion

> 3 What three-word term denotes the
> music production formula developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The
> dense aesthetic created by having a number of electric and acoustic
> instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison appears on tracks as
> diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys'
> 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?

Wall of Sound

> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?

Atlantic City

> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in
> which card game?

Euchre

> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and
> usually fatal to humans, is commonly found in Australian bats?

Hanta

> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top'
> of each inning?

Away

> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911)
> was the inspiration for which literary character?

Dr Jekyll

> 9 'Brent' and
> 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which
> commodity?

Oil

> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a
> shallow boat or a kick?

Punt

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

ArenEss

Apr 1, 2016, 12:21:58 PM4/1/16
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:00:31 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights'?
Mel Brooks

>2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?
Lion

>3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?
Wall of Sound

>4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?
Atlantic City, NJ

>5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?
>6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to humans, is commonly found in Australian bats?
Hendra Virus

>7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of each inning?
The visiting team

>8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the inspiration for which literary character?
Sherlock Holmes

>9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?
Crude Oil

>10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or a kick?
>
>cheers,
>calvin

ArenEss

Calvin

Apr 5, 2016, 2:08:50 AM4/5/16
On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 10:00:32 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Who produced and directed the 1993 musical comedy film 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights'?

Mel Brooks

> 2 Which animal appears on the logo of the Dutch banking company ING?

Lion

> 3 What three-word term denotes the music production formula developed by Phil Spector in the 1960s? The dense aesthetic created by having a number of electric and acoustic instrumentalists perform the same parts in unison appears on tracks as diverse as Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' and The Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'?

Wall of Sound

> 4 On which city is the original US version of Monopoly based?

Atlantic City
That's the original *Parker Bros* version, as Mark pointed out.

> 5 The right bower is the highest ranked card in which card game?

Euchre

> 6 Which virus, closely related to rabies and usually fatal to humans, is commonly found in Australian bats?

Lyssa

> 7 In baseball, which team always bats in the first-half or 'top' of each inning?

The away team

> 8 Scottish surgeon and lecturer Dr Joseph Bell (1837-1911) was the inspiration for which literary character?

Sherlock Holmes

> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?

[Crude] Oil

> 10 Which word can mean an indentation on a bottle, a shallow boat or a kick?

Punt

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 433
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 75 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 75 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 75 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 75 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 8 68 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 8 70 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 7 62 Aren Ess
1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 6 53 Dan Tilque
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 6 54 Gareth Owen
0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 28 Erland S
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 10 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 8 10 9 5 0 9 7 9 8 75 68%

I don't think we've had a 4-way tie before. Congratulations Peter, Mark, Bruce and Chris.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Apr 5, 2016, 8:27:18 PM4/5/16
Calvin wrote:

>> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?
>
> [Crude] Oil

Not sure why "petroleum" was considered a wrong answer here. At least I
didn't get credit for it.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Apr 7, 2016, 9:48:46 PM4/7/16
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 10:27:18 AM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
> Calvin wrote:
> >
> >> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?
> >
> > [Crude] Oil
>
> Not sure why "petroleum" was considered a wrong answer here.

Because petroleum is not a commodity.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Apr 8, 2016, 2:02:32 AM4/8/16
Not sure why you say that. All the definitions of petroleum I can find
say it's basically a synonym for "crude oil". For example, Google
defines it

"a liquid mixture of hydrocarbons that is present in certain rock strata
and can be extracted and refined to produce fuels including gasoline,
kerosene, and diesel oil; oil"

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Apr 9, 2016, 6:37:08 AM4/9/16
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 4:02:32 PM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
> Calvin wrote:
> >> Not sure why "petroleum" was considered a wrong answer here.
> >
> > Because petroleum is not a commodity.
>
> Not sure why you say that. All the definitions of petroleum I can find
> say it's basically a synonym for "crude oil". For example, Google
> defines it
>
> "a liquid mixture of hydrocarbons that is present in certain rock strata
> and can be extracted and refined to produce fuels including gasoline,
> kerosene, and diesel oil; oil"

This is not my field of expertise but my understanding is that petroleum is an umbrella term referring to more than just crude oil. The question was quite specific, and no one refers to "West Texas petroleum" AFAIK.

If anyone knows better then please reply.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 9, 2016, 11:36:48 AM4/9/16
"Calvin"
> This is not my field of expertise but my understanding is that petroleum
> is an umbrella term referring to more than just crude oil. The question
> was quite specific...

Yes, it specifically said "the two *major* benchmarks", implying that
there could be others. If your understanding of the terms is correct,
then I think that's sufficient reason to accept that answer.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Gadgetry abounded everywhere, almost all of which
m...@vex.net | he could justify." -- Robert Asprin

swp

Apr 9, 2016, 1:25:32 PM4/9/16
important oil markers include the dubai crude, oman crude, urals oil and the opec reference basket. the differences are mainly in the amount of sulfur and density. low sulfur is considered 'sweet' and less dense is considered 'light' so the west texas intermediate is 'light sweet crude' for example.

in no case can I find anyone referring to it as "petroleum" however I would score it as correct and unique in a rare entries contest if I were running it. take from that what you will.

swp

Calvin

Apr 10, 2016, 11:26:20 PM4/10/16
On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 4:08:50 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> > 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?
>
> [Crude] Oil *or Petroleum*

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 433
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 76 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 76 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 76 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 76 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 8 69 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 8 71 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 7 63 Aren Ess
1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 7 63 Dan Tilque
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 6 55 Gareth Owen
0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 29 Erland S
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 10 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 8 10 9 5 0 9 7 10 8 76 69%

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Apr 11, 2016, 12:52:37 AM4/11/16
Calvin wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 4:08:50 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
>
>>> 9 'Brent' and 'West Texas Intermediate' are the two major benchmarks for which commodity?
>> [Crude] Oil *or Petroleum*

Thank you.

--
Dan Tilque