Rotating Quiz #37

David B

Oct 21, 2011, 7:55:14 AM10/21/11
My apologies for the questions but I was in a bit of a rush.

Roky Erickson was a founder member and songwriter of which 1960's band?

How many pints of beer in a firkin?

What are Poi?

Shaun White is a professional in which sport?

Which British band currently in the news organised a mini festival / concert
that became known as 'Baggy Woodstock'?

Which colours are on the Welsh flag?

What is Vajrayana?

Who wrote 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'?

Which Architect and town planner designed the Liverpool Metropolitan
Cathdral and The London Central Mosque?

'Boomhauer' was a character in which animated television series?

Tie breaker:
What is the speed of light?

--
David :)

Only 1 in 10 people understand the binary system - the other half don't.

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2011, 12:55:27 PM10/21/11
David B.:
> How many pints of beer in a firkin?

16?

> What are Poi?

Some sort of vegetables?

> Shaun White is a professional in which sport?

Snooker?

> Who wrote 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'?

Hawking?

> Tie breaker:
> What is the speed of light?

299,799,258 m/s?
--
Mark Brader | "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
Toronto | "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have
| -- Ray Lee (after Lewis Carroll)

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 21, 2011, 3:10:16 PM10/21/11
In article <j7rmj3$kb1$1...@dont-email.me>, askfo...@gmail.com says...
> My apologies for the questions but I was in a bit of a rush.
>
> Roky Erickson was a founder member and songwriter of which 1960's band?
13th Floor Elevators (I saw Roky perform a couple of years ago)

> How many pints of beer in a firkin?
I have no firkin idea.

> What are Poi?
Poi are food made from taro tuber.

> Shaun White is a professional in which sport?
Snowboarding

> Which British band currently in the news organised a mini festival / concert
> that became known as 'Baggy Woodstock'?
>
> Which colours are on the Welsh flag?
>
> What is Vajrayana?
>
> Who wrote 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'?
Bill Bryson

> Which Architect and town planner designed the Liverpool Metropolitan
> Cathdral and The London Central Mosque?
>
> 'Boomhauer' was a character in which animated television series?
King Of The Hill

> Tie breaker:
> What is the speed of light?
The velocity that no object with nonzero mass can achieve.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 21, 2011, 3:15:11 PM10/21/11
On 2011-10-21, David B wrote:
> My apologies for the questions but I was in a bit of a rush.
>
> Roky Erickson was a founder member and songwriter of which 1960's band?
>
> How many pints of beer in a firkin?

Usually 72, but the size of a firkin varies.

> What are Poi?

A Hawaiian dish made of some kind of mashed root

> Shaun White is a professional in which sport?
>
> Which British band currently in the news organised a mini festival / concert
> that became known as 'Baggy Woodstock'?
>
> Which colours are on the Welsh flag?

Red, green and white.

> What is Vajrayana?

A Buddhist faction/sect/whatever

> Who wrote 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'?

Bryson

> Which Architect and town planner designed the Liverpool Metropolitan
> Cathdral and The London Central Mosque?

Gibberd

> 'Boomhauer' was a character in which animated television series?

King of the Hill

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 21, 2011, 3:26:26 PM10/21/11
On 2011-10-21, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

I forgot to answer the tie breaker: 186,000 MPS

Rob Parker

Oct 21, 2011, 9:19:53 PM10/21/11
> Roky Erickson was a founder member and songwriter of which 1960's band?
>
> How many pints of beer in a firkin?

72

> What are Poi?

Maori dances

> Shaun White is a professional in which sport?

snooker (?)

> Which British band currently in the news organised a mini festival /
> concert
> that became known as 'Baggy Woodstock'?
>
> Which colours are on the Welsh flag?

green white & red

> What is Vajrayana?

an Indian book

> Who wrote 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'?

Bill Bryson - it's beside my bed, next in line for reading ;-)

> Which Architect and town planner designed the Liverpool Metropolitan
> Cathdral and The London Central Mosque?
>
> 'Boomhauer' was a character in which animated television series?
>
> Tie breaker:
> What is the speed of light?

3x10^8 m/s

Rob

Calvin

Oct 23, 2011, 6:03:50 PM10/23/11
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 21:55:14 +1000, David B <askfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Roky Erickson was a founder member and songwriter of which 1960's band?

The Byrds?

> How many pints of beer in a firkin?

8?

> What are Poi?
>
> Shaun White is a professional in which sport?

Snooker?

> Which British band currently in the news organised a mini festival /
> concert
> that became known as 'Baggy Woodstock'?
>
> Which colours are on the Welsh flag?

Red, white and green.

> What is Vajrayana?
>
> Who wrote 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'?

Bill Bryson

> Which Architect and town planner designed the Liverpool Metropolitan
> Cathdral and The London Central Mosque?
>
> 'Boomhauer' was a character in which animated television series?

King of the Hill

> Tie breaker:
> What is the speed of light?

299.97 thousand km per second

--
cheers,
calvin

David B

Oct 27, 2011, 5:14:28 AM10/27/11
Poor turnout this week but I have to give the answers now as I'm away until
Monday.

Roky Erickson was a founder member and songwriter of which 1960's band?
- The 13th Floor Elevators.
<Marc D>

How many pints of beer in a firkin?
- 72.
<Chris J><Rob P>

What are Poi?
- Weighted objects on a cord used in the performing art of Poi, the swinging
of said objects.
The question used 'are' not 'is' but feel free to question my decision.
<Rob P>

Shaun White is a professional in which sport?
- Snowboarding.
<Marc D>

Which British band currently in the news organised a mini festival / concert
that became known as 'Baggy Woodstock'?
- The Stone Roses.

Which colours are on the Welsh flag?
- Green, White and Red.
<Chris J><Rob P><Calvin>

What is Vajrayana?
- A form of Buddhism.
<Chris J>

Who wrote 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'?
- Bill Bryson.
<Marc D><Chris J><Rob P><Calvin>

Which Architect and town planner designed the Liverpool Metropolitan
Cathdral and The London Central Mosque?
- Sir Frederick Gibberd.
<Chris J>

'Boomhauer' was a character in which animated television series?
King of the Hill.
<Marc D><Chris J><Calvin>
<Mark B> 0
<Marc D> 4
<Chris J> 6
<Rob P> 4
<Calvin> 3

Tie breaker:
Not needed.

Well done Chris, over to you for Rotating Quiz #38.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 30, 2011, 4:17:07 AM10/30/11
On 2011-10-27, David B wrote:
><Mark B> 0
><Marc D> 4
><Chris J> 6
><Rob P> 4
><Calvin> 3
>
> Tie breaker:
> Not needed.
>
> Well done Chris, over to you for Rotating Quiz #38.

I'll have it up in a day or so. (I'm having some connectivity
problems.)