Calvin's Quiz #481

Calvin

Apr 2, 2017, 8:13:00 PM4/2/17

1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the Formosan family of languages?
2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005 film?
3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?
4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?
5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook "Elements"?
6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?
7 In Rugby Union what number jersey does the Fullback traditionally wear?
8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?
9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on the South Side?
10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what specific manner?

cheers,
calvin

Don Piven

Apr 2, 2017, 8:20:06 PM4/2/17
On 4/2/17 19:12, Calvin wrote:

> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the Formosan family of languages?

Taiwan

> 2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005 film?
> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?

Marriage

> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook "Elements"?

Euclid

> 6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?
> 7 In Rugby Union what number jersey does the Fullback traditionally wear?
> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?

Chicago

> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on the South Side?

Chicago Cubs

> 10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what specific manner?

Dueling

Dan Blum

Apr 2, 2017, 8:33:28 PM4/2/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the Formosan family of languages?

Taiwan

> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?

marriage

> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook "Elements"?

Euclid

> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?

Seattle

> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on the South Side?

Cubs

> 10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what specific manner?

shot in a duel

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Apr 2, 2017, 9:10:21 PM4/2/17
"Calvin":
> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the
> Formosan family of languages?

Taiwan, I hope.

> 2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005 film?

"Walk the Line".

> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?

Marriage?

> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon.

> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different
> editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics
> textbook "Elements"?

Euclid.

> 6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and
> fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?

Aggripina?

> 7 In Rugby Union what number jersey does the Fullback traditionally wear?

2?

> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?

Seattle.

> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by
> those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those
> on the South Side?

Chicago Cubs.

> 10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former
> U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what
> specific manner?

Dueling.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Everyone generalizes from insufficient data.
m...@vex.net | I know I do."

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 2, 2017, 10:58:34 PM4/2/17
In article <90b2e387-0aeb-41fd...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the Formosan family of languages?
Taiwan

> 2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005 film?
Walk The Line

> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?
marriage

> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?
Saigon

> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook "Elements"?
Euclid

> 6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?
> 7 In Rugby Union what number jersey does the Fullback traditionally wear?
> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?
Chicago

> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on the South Side?
Chicago Cubs

> 10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what specific manner?
duel

> cheers,
> calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 3, 2017, 7:39:09 AM4/3/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the
> Formosan family of languages?

Taiwan

> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?

Relationships

> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different
> editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook
> "Elements"?

Pythagoras

> 6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and
> fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?

Agrippa

9

> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?

Seattle

> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by
> those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on the
> South Side?

Cubs

Peter Smyth

Apr 3, 2017, 8:56:53 AM4/3/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the
> Formosan family of languages?
Taiwan
> 2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005 film?
>
> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?
Marriage
> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?
Saigon
> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different
> editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook
> "Elements"?
Euclid
> 6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and
> fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?
>
> 7 In Rugby Union what number jersey does the Fullback traditionally
> wear?
15
> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?
Chicago
> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by
> those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on
> the South Side?
Cubs (didn't we have this question recently? Admittedly, I still don't
know the answer but have a 50% chance)
> 10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former U.S.
> Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what specific
> manner?
Duelling

Peter Smyth

Bruce

Apr 3, 2017, 9:45:36 AM4/3/17
On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 17:12:59 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the
Formosan
> family of languages?

Taiwan

> 2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005
film?

I Walk the Line

> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?
> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Hanoi

> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different
editions,
> which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook "Elements"?

Euclid

> 6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and
fourth
> wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?
> 7 In Rugby Union what number jersey does the Fullback traditionally
> wear?
> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?

Seattle

> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by
those
> living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on the South
> Side?

Cubs

> 10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former U.S.
> Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what specific
> manner?

Duel

> cheers,
> calvin

Bruce

Apr 3, 2017, 10:17:51 AM4/3/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 13:45:34 +0000, Bruce wrote:

>> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?
>
> Hanoi

Damned brain fart!

Pete Gayde

Apr 3, 2017, 11:16:35 AM4/3/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the
> Formosan family of languages?

Taiwan

> 2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese
> Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005 film?

American Pie

> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?

Marriage

> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000
> different editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics
> textbook "Elements"?

Pythagorus

> 6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of
> Caligula, niece and fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?

Hypatia

5

> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation
> are in which US City?

Chicago

> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is
> traditionally supported by those living on the North Side of Chicago,
> and detested by those on the South Side?

Cubs

> 10 Russian poet Aleksandr
> Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury,
> both met their deaths in what specific manner?

Shot in a duel

> cheers,
> calvin
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Gareth Owen

Apr 3, 2017, 1:19:54 PM4/3/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the
> Formosan family of languages?

Taiwan

> 2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005 film?

Walk The Line

> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?

Marriage

> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different
> editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook
> "Elements"?

Euclid

> 6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and
> fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?

Aggripina

> 7 In Rugby Union what number jersey does the Fullback traditionally
> wear?

15

> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?

Seattle

> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those
> living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on the
> South Side?

Cubs -- I got this wrong last time ... and can't remember whether I put
Cubs or ChiSox. Think I put Sox.

> 10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former
> U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what specific
> manner?

Killed in a duel

> cheers,
> calvin

ArenEss

Apr 4, 2017, 8:30:27 PM4/4/17
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 17:12:59 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the Formosan family of languages?
Taiwan

>2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005 film?
Walk The Line (The Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash Story)

>3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?
Marriage

>4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?
Hanoi

>5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook "Elements"?
Euclid

>6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?

>7 In Rugby Union what number jersey does the Fullback traditionally wear?

>8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?
Chicago

>9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on the South Side?
Chicago Cubs

>10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what specific manner?
Dueling with pistols

>cheers,
>calvin

ArenEss

Calvin

Apr 6, 2017, 9:21:56 PM4/6/17
On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 10:56:53 PM UTC+10, Peter Smyth wrote:
> Calvin wrote:

> > 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by
> > those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on
> > the South Side?

> Cubs (didn't we have this question recently?

No, that one was about the White Sox :-)

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Apr 6, 2017, 9:24:13 PM4/6/17
On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 10:13:00 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 One which island would one most likely be if encountering the Formosan family of languages?

Taiwan

> 2 Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon co-starred in which 2005 film?

Walk the Line

> 3 Misogamy is a dislike or hatred of what?

Marriage

> 4 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 5 First published c. 300 BC and now with over 1,000 different editions, which Greek mathematician wrote the mathematics textbook "Elements"?

Euclid

> 6 Which Roman (15 - 59 AD) was the sister of Caligula, niece and fourth wife of Claudius, and the mother of Nero?

Aggripina (the Younger)

> 7 In Rugby Union what number jersey does the Fullback traditionally wear?

15

> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?

Boeing
Chicago was a popular wrong answer for some reason

> 9 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the North Side of Chicago, and detested by those on the South Side?

Cubs

> 10 Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin and Alexander Hamilton, former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, both met their deaths in what specific manner?

Duelling

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 481
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 62 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 9 53 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 8 54 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 7 41 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 7 45 Dan Blum
1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 6 38 Bruce Bowler
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 6 39 Don Piven
1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 6 40 Aren Ess
1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 6 40 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 5 30 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 5 8 8 8 3 2 7 10 9 70 70%

Congratulations Gareth.

cheers,
calvin

ArenEss

Apr 6, 2017, 9:39:26 PM4/6/17
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 18:24:13 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Better reconsider the Boeing question.

>Boeing International Headquarters
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>
>Jump to: navigation, search
>Boeing International Headquarters
>
>General information
>Location
>100 North Riverside Plaza, Chicago, Illinois
>Coordinates
>41°53'2.8?N 87°38'19.5?W
>Coordinates: 41°53'2.8?N 87°38'19.5?W

>The Boeing International Headquarters (colloquially known as the Boeing Building and formerly known as the Morton International Building) is a 36-floor skyscraper located in the Near West Side of Chicago. The building, at 100 North Riverside Plaza, is located on the west side of the Chicago River directly across from the downtown Loop. The building was designed with a structural system that uses steel trusses to support its suspended southwest corner in order to clear the Amtrak and Metra railroad tracks immediately beneath it. It won the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois' "Most Innovative" Design Award.[citation needed]
>The building was originally constructed for the Morton Salt Company;[2] Boeing moved their corporate headquarters there in 2001 when they opted to leave Seattle for Chicago.[3] Navteq moved their headquarters to the Boeing Building in 2007.[4] It has also housed offices of Ameritech.[citation needed]

Mark Brader

Apr 6, 2017, 11:05:21 PM4/6/17
"Calvin":
>>> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?
>>
>>Boeing

Come again?

>> Chicago was a popular wrong answer for some reason

"ArenEss":
> Better reconsider the Boeing question.
>
>> Boeing International Headquarters
>> From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

Harrumph. You mean, according to http://www.boeing.com/contact-us.page:

Boeing Corporate Offices
100 North Riverside
Chicago, Illinois 60606

So no perfect scores this time after all.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What caused the submarine to sink?"
m...@vex.net | "Dad, it was the 20,000 leaks!!"

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 7, 2017, 2:55:04 AM4/7/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?
>
> Boeing
> Chicago was a popular wrong answer for some reason

No, Seattle was a popular wrong answer. Probably due to that Boeing has
a strong preference in that town. I entered Seattle, but I was quite
sure the HQ was elsewhere - I just could not remember exactly where.
I felt less bad when I saw other entrants when for the same answer.

Mark Brader

Apr 7, 2017, 6:15:39 AM4/7/17
"Calvin":
>>> 8 The headquarters of the Boeing Corporation are in which US City?
>>
>> Boeing

(Presuambly meaning Seattle!)

>> Chicago was a popular wrong answer for some reason

Erland Sommarskog (copyedited):
> No, Seattle was a popular wrong answer. Probably due to the fact
> that Boeing has a strong presence in that town.

No, due to the fact that it used to be the right answer.

The question was also misscored; 5 people gave each of the two answers,
but 7 out of 10 people got the point for saying "Seattle".

Again assuming that Calvin is already off-net, here's a score table
corrected for these errors (and for the TB error, but this time it
doesn't affect the winner).

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 481
- - - - - - - - - - --- --- -------------
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 63 Gareth Owen
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 8 60 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 8 61 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 8 63 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 7 55 Aren Ess
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 7 58 Don Piven
1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 6 50 Pete Gayde
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 6 53 Dan Blum
1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 5 42 Bruce Bowler
1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 4 31 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 5 8 8 8 3 2 5 10 9 68 68%

Gareth still wins.
--
Mark Brader I'm not pompous; I'm pedantic.
Toronto Let me explain it to you.

Gareth Owen

Apr 7, 2017, 1:06:35 PM4/7/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> The question was also misscored; 5 people gave each of the two answers,
> but 7 out of 10 people got the point for saying "Seattle".

Ironically, I put Seattle knowing it was wrong, as I remember a big
kerfuffle in 2000 when Alex Rodriguez left the Mariners at the same time
that Boeing left Seattle -- it was suggested he had been used to attempt
to persuade Boeing execs to relocate to Texas at the same time A-Rod
went to the Rangers.

Calvin

Apr 23, 2017, 7:21:41 PM4/23/17
Thanks for sorting that out. That so many answered Chicago should have been a prompt for me to check.

cheers,
calvin