Rotating Quiz #247: Genius Pain? Not I.

Dan Blum

Mar 1, 2017, 11:15:08 PM3/1/17
This is Rotating Quiz #247. Entries must be posted by Wednesday,
March 8th, 2017 at 11 PM (Eastern Standard Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

Since I had no particular ideas of my own this uses the same gimmick
as Mark's RQ #246 - there is an 11th answer given by the first
letters, last letters, or letters read diagonally through the
answers. (There is one difference here which will probably be clear
once you start answering.) The answer to each question is a single
word; answers #1-10 are worth 2 points each and answer #11 is worth 4
points. A misspelled answer is worth 1 point if I judge it is close
enough.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most
points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which
the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be
posting order.

1. This is the name of a language related to Egyptian and which was
commonly spoken in Egypt until it was replaced by Egyptian Arabic a
few centuries ago. It is still used as the liturgical language of the
<answer 1> Orthodox Church, part of the Oriental Orthodox communion
and the largest Christian church in northern Africa. (There is also a
<answer 1> Catholic Church, but it is much smaller.)

2. This flower is named for a Greek mythological figure who was a
lover of Apollo. He tried to catch a discus thrown by Apollo and
died. Rather than let him be claimed by Hades, Apollo turned his blood
into the flower, although the flower of the legend may not be the
modern flower of the same name (certainly none of the common colors
look like blood to me).

3. This name was originally applied to a society founded by Adam
Weishaupt, a professor at the University of Ingolstadt, but today is
used much more generally.

4. This German city has a long history of innovation. The predecessor
to the bicycle was invented there and Karl Benz built the first
automobile there. In the late 18th century there was also a <answer 4>
school of composers who introduced new musical features such as the
<answer 4> Rocket and the <answer 4> Roller.

5. This is a root vegetable related to carrots and parsley. While not
necessarily thought of as sweet these days, it is sweeter than either
of those and was used as a sweetener in parts of Europe before sugar
became widely available. While the root is safe to eat even when raw,
the above-ground parts of the plant contain a toxic sap which makes
the skin extremely sensitive to ultraviolet light, potentially causing
serious burns.

6. This is the name of species of trees which have bark which is used
in some varieties of bitters, but somewhat confusingly not in <answer
6> bitters, which contain gentian (among other ingredients). These
bitters are named after the town in Venezuela where they were
originally produced, although the company that makes them is now
located in Trinidad and Tobago. They can be used in a number of
popular cocktails such as the Manhattan or the Old Fashioned.

7. Although a popular song from some decades ago would have you
believe that this was some kind of coin-operated machine, in fact the
word originally referred to inexpensive theaters where patrons viewed
continuous series of short films. They made movies very popular in the
US but died out when longer movies (and the desire for greater comfort
while viewing them) became prevalent. In current usage <answer 7> is a
proper noun in a different but related context.

8. This was a name used in Roman-era Israel for various small silver
coins and also for coins struck during the Bar Kochba revolt. Some
people think that the name refers to the entity commonly found on
drachmas of the period; drachmas were one of the coins referred to as
<answer 8> and the Bar Kochba coins were overstrikes of drachmas and
Roman coins. Others say it is from an Akkadian word meaning something
like "half," and the former theory is just folk etymology based on the
similar-sounding names. If you had two of them you could buy a young
goat.

9. This great-nephew of Cardinal Mazarin grew up in the court of Louis
XIV, but Louis would not let him serve in the army due to his mother's
disgrace in the Poison Affair, so he moved to the Holy Roman
Empire. There he became one of the greatest generals of the period,
winning battles in various wars at Zenta, Turin, and Belgrade, and
others such as Blenheim and Malplaquet together with the Duke of
Marlborough. The answer is his given name, without his (Italian)
title.

10. Some members of the weasel family have winter coats which are very
different in appearance from their summer coats - so much so that one,
the stoat, has often been known by a different name in that coat. What
is it?

11. Acrostic?

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Mar 2, 2017, 12:00:31 AM3/2/17
On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 2:15:08 PM UTC+10, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #247.

> 1. This is the name of a language related to Egyptian and which was
> commonly spoken in Egypt until it was replaced by Egyptian Arabic a
> few centuries ago. It is still used as the liturgical language of the
> <answer 1> Orthodox Church, part of the Oriental Orthodox communion
> and the largest Christian church in northern Africa. (There is also a
> <answer 1> Catholic Church, but it is much smaller.)

Coptic

> 2. This flower is named for a Greek mythological figure who was a
> lover of Apollo. He tried to catch a discus thrown by Apollo and
> died. Rather than let him be claimed by Hades, Apollo turned his blood
> into the flower, although the flower of the legend may not be the
> modern flower of the same name (certainly none of the common colors
> look like blood to me).

Lotus

> 3. This name was originally applied to a society founded by Adam
> Weishaupt, a professor at the University of Ingolstadt, but today is
> used much more generally.

Quakers

> 4. This German city has a long history of innovation. The predecessor
> to the bicycle was invented there and Karl Benz built the first
> automobile there. In the late 18th century there was also a <answer 4>
> school of composers who introduced new musical features such as the
> <answer 4> Rocket and the <answer 4> Roller.

Heidelberg

> 5. This is a root vegetable related to carrots and parsley. While not
> necessarily thought of as sweet these days, it is sweeter than either
> of those and was used as a sweetener in parts of Europe before sugar
> became widely available. While the root is safe to eat even when raw,
> the above-ground parts of the plant contain a toxic sap which makes
> the skin extremely sensitive to ultraviolet light, potentially causing
> serious burns.

Beet

> 6. This is the name of species of trees which have bark which is used
> in some varieties of bitters, but somewhat confusingly not in <answer
> 6> bitters, which contain gentian (among other ingredients). These
> bitters are named after the town in Venezuela where they were
> originally produced, although the company that makes them is now
> located in Trinidad and Tobago. They can be used in a number of
> popular cocktails such as the Manhattan or the Old Fashioned.

Angostura

> 7. Although a popular song from some decades ago would have you
> believe that this was some kind of coin-operated machine, in fact the
> word originally referred to inexpensive theaters where patrons viewed
> continuous series of short films. They made movies very popular in the
> US but died out when longer movies (and the desire for greater comfort
> while viewing them) became prevalent. In current usage <answer 7> is a
> proper noun in a different but related context.

Nickelodeon

> 8. This was a name used in Roman-era Israel for various small silver
> coins and also for coins struck during the Bar Kochba revolt. Some
> people think that the name refers to the entity commonly found on
> drachmas of the period; drachmas were one of the coins referred to as
> <answer 8> and the Bar Kochba coins were overstrikes of drachmas and
> Roman coins. Others say it is from an Akkadian word meaning something
> like "half," and the former theory is just folk etymology based on the
> similar-sounding names. If you had two of them you could buy a young
> goat.
>
> 9. This great-nephew of Cardinal Mazarin grew up in the court of Louis
> XIV, but Louis would not let him serve in the army due to his mother's
> disgrace in the Poison Affair, so he moved to the Holy Roman
> Empire. There he became one of the greatest generals of the period,
> winning battles in various wars at Zenta, Turin, and Belgrade, and
> others such as Blenheim and Malplaquet together with the Duke of
> Marlborough. The answer is his given name, without his (Italian)
> title.
>
> 10. Some members of the weasel family have winter coats which are very
> different in appearance from their summer coats - so much so that one,
> the stoat, has often been known by a different name in that coat. What
> is it?

Ermine

> 11. Acrostic?

Nope.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 2, 2017, 12:43:20 AM3/2/17
Dan Blum:
> Since I had no particular ideas of my own this uses the same gimmick
> as Mark's RQ #246 - there is an 11th answer given by the first
> letters, last letters, or letters read diagonally through the
> answers. (There is one difference here which will probably be clear
> once you start answering.)

Well, this one appears to be entirely Old-World-related, but...

> 1. This is the name of a language related to Egyptian and which was
> commonly spoken in Egypt until it was replaced by Egyptian Arabic a
> few centuries ago. It is still used as the liturgical language of the
> <answer 1> Orthodox Church, part of the Oriental Orthodox communion
> and the largest Christian church in northern Africa. (There is also a
> <answer 1> Catholic Church, but it is much smaller.)

Coptic.

> 2. This flower is named for a Greek mythological figure who was a
> lover of Apollo. He tried to catch a discus thrown by Apollo and
> died. Rather than let him be claimed by Hades, Apollo turned his blood
> into the flower, although the flower of the legend may not be the
> modern flower of the same name (certainly none of the common colors
> look like blood to me).

Hydrangea?

> 3. This name was originally applied to a society founded by Adam
> Weishaupt, a professor at the University of Ingolstadt, but today is
> used much more generally.

Idealist?

> 4. This German city has a long history of innovation. The predecessor
> to the bicycle was invented there and Karl Benz built the first
> automobile there. In the late 18th century there was also a <answer 4>
> school of composers who introduced new musical features such as the
> <answer 4> Rocket and the <answer 4> Roller.

Mainz.

> 5. This is a root vegetable related to carrots and parsley. While not
> necessarily thought of as sweet these days, it is sweeter than either
> of those and was used as a sweetener in parts of Europe before sugar
> became widely available. While the root is safe to eat even when raw,
> the above-ground parts of the plant contain a toxic sap which makes
> the skin extremely sensitive to ultraviolet light, potentially causing
> serious burns.

Parsnip

> 6. This is the name of species of trees which have bark which is used
> in some varieties of bitters, but somewhat confusingly not in <answer
> 6> bitters, which contain gentian (among other ingredients). These
> bitters are named after the town in Venezuela where they were
> originally produced, although the company that makes them is now
> located in Trinidad and Tobago. They can be used in a number of
> popular cocktails such as the Manhattan or the Old Fashioned.

Angostura.

> 7. Although a popular song from some decades ago would have you
> believe that this was some kind of coin-operated machine, in fact the
> word originally referred to inexpensive theaters where patrons viewed
> continuous series of short films. They made movies very popular in the
> US but died out when longer movies (and the desire for greater comfort
> while viewing them) became prevalent. In current usage <answer 7> is a
> proper noun in a different but related context.

Nickelodeon.

> 8. This was a name used in Roman-era Israel for various small silver
> coins and also for coins struck during the Bar Kochba revolt. Some
> people think that the name refers to the entity commonly found on
> drachmas of the period; drachmas were one of the coins referred to as
> <answer 8> and the Bar Kochba coins were overstrikes of drachmas and
> Roman coins. Others say it is from an Akkadian word meaning something
> like "half," and the former theory is just folk etymology based on the
> similar-sounding names. If you had two of them you could buy a young
> goat.

Zilch (of an idea, have I).

> 9. This great-nephew of Cardinal Mazarin grew up in the court of Louis
> XIV, but Louis would not let him serve in the army due to his mother's
> disgrace in the Poison Affair, so he moved to the Holy Roman
> Empire. There he became one of the greatest generals of the period,
> winning battles in various wars at Zenta, Turin, and Belgrade, and
> others such as Blenheim and Malplaquet together with the Duke of
> Marlborough. The answer is his given name, without his (Italian)
> title.

Enrico?

> 10. Some members of the weasel family have winter coats which are very
> different in appearance from their summer coats - so much so that one,
> the stoat, has often been known by a different name in that coat. What
> is it?

Ermine?

> 11. Acrostic?

Chimpanzee.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "group this in post-top usually don't we"
m...@vex.net | -- Mike Lyle

Don Piven

Mar 2, 2017, 8:13:28 AM3/2/17
Coptic

> 2. This flower is named for a Greek mythological figure who was a
> lover of Apollo. He tried to catch a discus thrown by Apollo and
> died. Rather than let him be claimed by Hades, Apollo turned his blood
> into the flower, although the flower of the legend may not be the
> modern flower of the same name (certainly none of the common colors
> look like blood to me).

Hyacinth

> 3. This name was originally applied to a society founded by Adam
> Weishaupt, a professor at the University of Ingolstadt, but today is
> used much more generally.

Illuminati

> 4. This German city has a long history of innovation. The predecessor
> to the bicycle was invented there and Karl Benz built the first
> automobile there. In the late 18th century there was also a <answer 4>
> school of composers who introduced new musical features such as the
> <answer 4> Rocket and the <answer 4> Roller.

Mannheim

> 5. This is a root vegetable related to carrots and parsley. While not
> necessarily thought of as sweet these days, it is sweeter than either
> of those and was used as a sweetener in parts of Europe before sugar
> became widely available. While the root is safe to eat even when raw,
> the above-ground parts of the plant contain a toxic sap which makes
> the skin extremely sensitive to ultraviolet light, potentially causing
> serious burns.

Parsnip

> 6. This is the name of species of trees which have bark which is used
> in some varieties of bitters, but somewhat confusingly not in <answer
> 6> bitters, which contain gentian (among other ingredients). These
> bitters are named after the town in Venezuela where they were
> originally produced, although the company that makes them is now
> located in Trinidad and Tobago. They can be used in a number of
> popular cocktails such as the Manhattan or the Old Fashioned.

Angostura

> 7. Although a popular song from some decades ago would have you
> believe that this was some kind of coin-operated machine, in fact the
> word originally referred to inexpensive theaters where patrons viewed
> continuous series of short films. They made movies very popular in the
> US but died out when longer movies (and the desire for greater comfort
> while viewing them) became prevalent. In current usage <answer 7> is a
> proper noun in a different but related context.

Nickelodeon

> 8. This was a name used in Roman-era Israel for various small silver
> coins and also for coins struck during the Bar Kochba revolt. Some
> people think that the name refers to the entity commonly found on
> drachmas of the period; drachmas were one of the coins referred to as
> <answer 8> and the Bar Kochba coins were overstrikes of drachmas and
> Roman coins. Others say it is from an Akkadian word meaning something
> like "half," and the former theory is just folk etymology based on the
> similar-sounding names. If you had two of them you could buy a young
> goat.

Z*

> 9. This great-nephew of Cardinal Mazarin grew up in the court of Louis
> XIV, but Louis would not let him serve in the army due to his mother's
> disgrace in the Poison Affair, so he moved to the Holy Roman
> Empire. There he became one of the greatest generals of the period,
> winning battles in various wars at Zenta, Turin, and Belgrade, and
> others such as Blenheim and Malplaquet together with the Duke of
> Marlborough. The answer is his given name, without his (Italian)
> title.

E*

> 10. Some members of the weasel family have winter coats which are very
> different in appearance from their summer coats - so much so that one,
> the stoat, has often been known by a different name in that coat. What
> is it?

Ermine

> 11. Acrostic?

Chimpanzee

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 2, 2017, 10:28:03 AM3/2/17
In article <o9868b$pti$1...@reader1.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...
> 1. This is the name of a language related to Egyptian and which was
> commonly spoken in Egypt until it was replaced by Egyptian Arabic a
> few centuries ago. It is still used as the liturgical language of the
> <answer 1> Orthodox Church, part of the Oriental Orthodox communion
> and the largest Christian church in northern Africa. (There is also a
> <answer 1> Catholic Church, but it is much smaller.)
Coptic

> 2. This flower is named for a Greek mythological figure who was a
> lover of Apollo. He tried to catch a discus thrown by Apollo and
> died. Rather than let him be claimed by Hades, Apollo turned his blood
> into the flower, although the flower of the legend may not be the
> modern flower of the same name (certainly none of the common colors
> look like blood to me).
>
> 3. This name was originally applied to a society founded by Adam
> Weishaupt, a professor at the University of Ingolstadt, but today is
> used much more generally.
>
> 4. This German city has a long history of innovation. The predecessor
> to the bicycle was invented there and Karl Benz built the first
> automobile there. In the late 18th century there was also a <answer 4>
> school of composers who introduced new musical features such as the
> <answer 4> Rocket and the <answer 4> Roller.
Stuttgart

> 5. This is a root vegetable related to carrots and parsley. While not
> necessarily thought of as sweet these days, it is sweeter than either
> of those and was used as a sweetener in parts of Europe before sugar
> became widely available. While the root is safe to eat even when raw,
> the above-ground parts of the plant contain a toxic sap which makes
> the skin extremely sensitive to ultraviolet light, potentially causing
> serious burns.
>
> 6. This is the name of species of trees which have bark which is used
> in some varieties of bitters, but somewhat confusingly not in <answer
> 6> bitters, which contain gentian (among other ingredients). These
> bitters are named after the town in Venezuela where they were
> originally produced, although the company that makes them is now
> located in Trinidad and Tobago. They can be used in a number of
> popular cocktails such as the Manhattan or the Old Fashioned.
Angostino

> 7. Although a popular song from some decades ago would have you
> believe that this was some kind of coin-operated machine, in fact the
> word originally referred to inexpensive theaters where patrons viewed
> continuous series of short films. They made movies very popular in the
> US but died out when longer movies (and the desire for greater comfort
> while viewing them) became prevalent. In current usage <answer 7> is a
> proper noun in a different but related context.
Nickolodeon

> 8. This was a name used in Roman-era Israel for various small silver
> coins and also for coins struck during the Bar Kochba revolt. Some
> people think that the name refers to the entity commonly found on
> drachmas of the period; drachmas were one of the coins referred to as
> <answer 8> and the Bar Kochba coins were overstrikes of drachmas and
> Roman coins. Others say it is from an Akkadian word meaning something
> like "half," and the former theory is just folk etymology based on the
> similar-sounding names. If you had two of them you could buy a young
> goat.
zuzim (Thanks for the final sentence.)

> 9. This great-nephew of Cardinal Mazarin grew up in the court of Louis
> XIV, but Louis would not let him serve in the army due to his mother's
> disgrace in the Poison Affair, so he moved to the Holy Roman
> Empire. There he became one of the greatest generals of the period,
> winning battles in various wars at Zenta, Turin, and Belgrade, and
> others such as Blenheim and Malplaquet together with the Duke of
> Marlborough. The answer is his given name, without his (Italian)
> title.
>
> 10. Some members of the weasel family have winter coats which are very
> different in appearance from their summer coats - so much so that one,
> the stoat, has often been known by a different name in that coat. What
> is it?
mink

> 11. Acrostic?

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 2, 2017, 2:22:00 PM3/2/17
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> 1. This is the name of a language related to Egyptian and which was
> commonly spoken in Egypt until it was replaced by Egyptian Arabic a
> few centuries ago. It is still used as the liturgical language of the
><answer 1> Orthodox Church, part of the Oriental Orthodox communion
> and the largest Christian church in northern Africa. (There is also a
><answer 1> Catholic Church, but it is much smaller.)

Coptic

> 4. This German city has a long history of innovation. The predecessor
> to the bicycle was invented there and Karl Benz built the first
> automobile there. In the late 18th century there was also a <answer 4>
> school of composers who introduced new musical features such as the
><answer 4> Rocket and the <answer 4> Roller.

Mannheim

> 5. This is a root vegetable related to carrots and parsley. While not
> necessarily thought of as sweet these days, it is sweeter than either
> of those and was used as a sweetener in parts of Europe before sugar
> became widely available. While the root is safe to eat even when raw,
> the above-ground parts of the plant contain a toxic sap which makes
> the skin extremely sensitive to ultraviolet light, potentially causing
> serious burns.

Parsnip (Note: I did not know the English gloss, so I had to use a
dictionary to translate the Swedish name.)

> 7. Although a popular song from some decades ago would have you
> believe that this was some kind of coin-operated machine, in fact the
> word originally referred to inexpensive theaters where patrons viewed
> continuous series of short films. They made movies very popular in the
> US but died out when longer movies (and the desire for greater comfort
> while viewing them) became prevalent. In current usage <answer 7> is a
> proper noun in a different but related context.

Jukebox

Dan Tilque

Mar 5, 2017, 2:08:17 AM3/5/17
Coptic

> 2. This flower is named for a Greek mythological figure who was a
> lover of Apollo. He tried to catch a discus thrown by Apollo and
> died. Rather than let him be claimed by Hades, Apollo turned his blood
> into the flower, although the flower of the legend may not be the
> modern flower of the same name (certainly none of the common colors
> look like blood to me).

narcissus

> 3. This name was originally applied to a society founded by Adam
> Weishaupt, a professor at the University of Ingolstadt, but today is
> used much more generally.

Illuminati
nickelodeon

> 8. This was a name used in Roman-era Israel for various small silver
> coins and also for coins struck during the Bar Kochba revolt. Some
> people think that the name refers to the entity commonly found on
> drachmas of the period; drachmas were one of the coins referred to as
> <answer 8> and the Bar Kochba coins were overstrikes of drachmas and
> Roman coins. Others say it is from an Akkadian word meaning something
> like "half," and the former theory is just folk etymology based on the
> similar-sounding names. If you had two of them you could buy a young
> goat.

shekel ??

> 9. This great-nephew of Cardinal Mazarin grew up in the court of Louis
> XIV, but Louis would not let him serve in the army due to his mother's
> disgrace in the Poison Affair, so he moved to the Holy Roman
> Empire. There he became one of the greatest generals of the period,
> winning battles in various wars at Zenta, Turin, and Belgrade, and
> others such as Blenheim and Malplaquet together with the Duke of
> Marlborough. The answer is his given name, without his (Italian)
> title.
>
> 10. Some members of the weasel family have winter coats which are very
> different in appearance from their summer coats - so much so that one,
> the stoat, has often been known by a different name in that coat. What
> is it?

ermine

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Mar 9, 2017, 9:19:41 PM3/9/17
The winner of RQ #247 is Don Piven by a fair margin. He has the honor of
setting RQ #248.

The difference between this and the previous RQ was that the acrostic
was spelled in two ways since all answers have the same initial and
final letter.

> 1. This is the name of a language related to Egyptian and which was
> commonly spoken in Egypt until it was replaced by Egyptian Arabic a
> few centuries ago. It is still used as the liturgical language of the
> <answer 1> Orthodox Church, part of the Oriental Orthodox communion
> and the largest Christian church in northern Africa. (There is also a
> <answer 1> Catholic Church, but it is much smaller.)

Coptic

> 2. This flower is named for a Greek mythological figure who was a
> lover of Apollo. He tried to catch a discus thrown by Apollo and
> died. Rather than let him be claimed by Hades, Apollo turned his blood
> into the flower, although the flower of the legend may not be the
> modern flower of the same name (certainly none of the common colors
> look like blood to me).

hyacinth

> 3. This name was originally applied to a society founded by Adam
> Weishaupt, a professor at the University of Ingolstadt, but today is
> used much more generally.

Illuminati

> 4. This German city has a long history of innovation. The predecessor
> to the bicycle was invented there and Karl Benz built the first
> automobile there. In the late 18th century there was also a <answer 4>
> school of composers who introduced new musical features such as the
> <answer 4> Rocket and the <answer 4> Roller.

Mannheim

Now you know where Mannheim Steamroller got its name.

> 5. This is a root vegetable related to carrots and parsley. While not
> necessarily thought of as sweet these days, it is sweeter than either
> of those and was used as a sweetener in parts of Europe before sugar
> became widely available. While the root is safe to eat even when raw,
> the above-ground parts of the plant contain a toxic sap which makes
> the skin extremely sensitive to ultraviolet light, potentially causing
> serious burns.

parsnip

> 6. This is the name of species of trees which have bark which is used
> in some varieties of bitters, but somewhat confusingly not in <answer
> 6> bitters, which contain gentian (among other ingredients). These
> bitters are named after the town in Venezuela where they were
> originally produced, although the company that makes them is now
> located in Trinidad and Tobago. They can be used in a number of
> popular cocktails such as the Manhattan or the Old Fashioned.

Angostura

> 7. Although a popular song from some decades ago would have you
> believe that this was some kind of coin-operated machine, in fact the
> word originally referred to inexpensive theaters where patrons viewed
> continuous series of short films. They made movies very popular in the
> US but died out when longer movies (and the desire for greater comfort
> while viewing them) became prevalent. In current usage <answer 7> is a
> proper noun in a different but related context.

nickelodeon

1 point for "nickolodeon."

> 8. This was a name used in Roman-era Israel for various small silver
> coins and also for coins struck during the Bar Kochba revolt. Some
> people think that the name refers to the entity commonly found on
> drachmas of the period; drachmas were one of the coins referred to as
> <answer 8> and the Bar Kochba coins were overstrikes of drachmas and
> Roman coins. Others say it is from an Akkadian word meaning something
> like "half," and the former theory is just folk etymology based on the
> similar-sounding names. If you had two of them you could buy a young
> goat.

zuz

1 point for "zuzim" (the plural).

Yes, this is somewhat unfair, but if you noticed the gimmick then it
was obviously a word that began and ended with "z" and it sounds like
an entity that was commonly found on Greek coins (Zeus). Or if you've
ever attended a Passover seder then you have probably used the plural
form yourself while singing "Chad Gadya" (one kid) "which my father
bought for two zuzim."

> 9. This great-nephew of Cardinal Mazarin grew up in the court of Louis
> XIV, but Louis would not let him serve in the army due to his mother's
> disgrace in the Poison Affair, so he moved to the Holy Roman
> Empire. There he became one of the greatest generals of the period,
> winning battles in various wars at Zenta, Turin, and Belgrade, and
> others such as Blenheim and Malplaquet together with the Duke of
> Marlborough. The answer is his given name, without his (Italian)
> title.

(Prince) Eugene (of Savoy)

I cannot figure out what the title "Prince of Savoy" is supposed to
mean, or I might have made that a more prominent part of the clue. At
the time Savoy was ruled by a duke.

> 10. Some members of the weasel family have winter coats which are very
> different in appearance from their summer coats - so much so that one,
> the stoat, has often been known by a different name in that coat. What
> is it?

ermine

> 11. Acrostic?

chimpanzee

The title was a clue to this: if you remove "i" from "genius pain" you
get "genus pan," and only one of the two species in the genus has a
common name of 10 letters.

Scores:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Total
Don 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 0 0 2 4 20