RQFTCI03 Game 8 Rounds 7-8: Canadian songs and poems and take a number

Mark Brader

Jan 31, 2021, 12:25:20 AM1/31/21
(The previous set -- Rounds 4 and 6 -- remains open as I post this.
I'll close it in 17 hours or so, give or take.)

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I did not write these rounds.

* Game 8, Round 7 - Canadiana - Songs, Poems, and Poets

1. Recite *any one line* from the *French* version of "O Canada".
The lines vary from 6 to about 10 syllables in French. (In the
original game, the question continued: "We'll tell you when you
can stop. In fact, we may insist on it.")

2. Name *any one* of the following: the author of the French words
to "O Canada", the composer of the music, or the author of the
English words commonly used before a revised version was made
official. You don't have to say which one you're identifying.

3. Who wrote and performed "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy"?

4. Gilles Vigneault, in his song "Mon Pays", says that his country
is not a country -- it's something else. What is it?

5. What patriotic song by Alexander Muir was published in 1868?

6. Name the BC-born writer who """is""" Canada's parliamentary
poet laureate. He """has taught""" at Concordia and Simon
Fraser U., and written fiction and a history of British Columbia.
His poetry anthologies include "Blonds on Bikes".

7. What traditional folk song tells of a young sailor being taken
off to the wars, singing "for it's early in the morning and I'm
far, far away"?

8. Name the singer who wrote and performed the love song describing
a scene in a bar, whose lyrics include:

In the blue TV screen light
I drew a map of Canada
Oh Canada
With your face sketched on it

9. Who wrote and performed, with a chorus of kids, the Centennial
theme song "Ca-Na-Da"?

10. A song by Robbie Robertson of The Band and a poem with a
Canadian theme by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow share the same name,
and it's a woman's name. What is this name?

* Game 8, Round 8 - Entertainment - Take a Number

Given the actor, the year, and a quote, name the movie -- which in
each case will have *at least one number in the title*. If you
want to show off, you can give the characters' names as well,
but no points will be awarded (or deducted) for this.

1. Douglas Rain (1968): "It can only be attributed to human error."

2. Lily Tomlin (1980): "I am your employee and as such I expect to
be treated with a little dignity and a little respect."

3. Jack Nicholson (1970): "I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken
salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter,
no lettuce. And a cup of coffee."

4. Tom Selleck (1987): "I'm an architect, for Christ's sake.
I build 50-story skyscrapers, I assemble cities of the future.
I can certainly put together a goddamn diaper."

5. Molly Ringwald (1984): "I can't believe I gave my panties to
a geek!"

6. Glenn Close (2000): "The last time I underestimated a puppy,
I ended up in the pokey!"

7. Clark Gable (1934): "Any guy that'd fall in love with your
daughter ought to have his head examined."

8. Henry Fonda (1957): "It's not easy to raise my hand and send
a boy off to die without talking about it first. We're talking
about somebody's life here. We can't decide in 5 minutes.
Supposing we're wrong."

9. Nick Nolte (1982): "Class isn't something you buy. Look at you;
you've got on a $500 suit and you're still a low-life."

10. Marilyn Monroe (1955): "When it gets hot like this, you know
what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!"

--
Mark Brader | "If communication becomes impossible, it is expected that
Toronto | both parties will... notify the other that communication

Dan Blum

Jan 31, 2021, 12:36:19 AM1/31/21
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Entertainment - Take a Number

> 1. Douglas Rain (1968): "It can only be attributed to human error."

2001: A Space Odyssey

> 2. Lily Tomlin (1980): "I am your employee and as such I expect to
> be treated with a little dignity and a little respect."

9 to 5

> 3. Jack Nicholson (1970): "I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken
> salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter,
> no lettuce. And a cup of coffee."

Five Easy Pieces

> 4. Tom Selleck (1987): "I'm an architect, for Christ's sake.
> I build 50-story skyscrapers, I assemble cities of the future.
> I can certainly put together a goddamn diaper."

Three Men and a Baby

> 5. Molly Ringwald (1984): "I can't believe I gave my panties to
> a geek!"

Sixteen Candles

> 7. Clark Gable (1934): "Any guy that'd fall in love with your
> daughter ought to have his head examined."

It Happened One Night

> 8. Henry Fonda (1957): "It's not easy to raise my hand and send
> a boy off to die without talking about it first. We're talking
> about somebody's life here. We can't decide in 5 minutes.
> Supposing we're wrong."

Twelve Angry Men

> 9. Nick Nolte (1982): "Class isn't something you buy. Look at you;
> you've got on a $500 suit and you're still a low-life."

48 Hours

> 10. Marilyn Monroe (1955): "When it gets hot like this, you know
> what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!"

The Seven-Year Itch

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 31, 2021, 12:59:34 AM1/31/21
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:PpednaBY3_6noov9nZ2dnUU7-
LHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Canadiana - Songs, Poems, and Poets
>
> 10. A song by Robbie Robertson of The Band and a poem with a
> Canadian theme by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow share the same name,
> and it's a woman's name. What is this name?

Evangeline

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Entertainment - Take a Number
>
> Given the actor, the year, and a quote, name the movie -- which in
> each case will have *at least one number in the title*. If you
> want to show off, you can give the characters' names as well,
> but no points will be awarded (or deducted) for this.
>
> 1. Douglas Rain (1968): "It can only be attributed to human error."

"2001: A Space Odyssey"

> 2. Lily Tomlin (1980): "I am your employee and as such I expect to
> be treated with a little dignity and a little respect."

"Nine to Five"

> 3. Jack Nicholson (1970): "I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken
> salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter,
> no lettuce. And a cup of coffee."

"Five Easy Pieces"

> 4. Tom Selleck (1987): "I'm an architect, for Christ's sake.
> I build 50-story skyscrapers, I assemble cities of the future.
> I can certainly put together a goddamn diaper."

"Three Men and a Baby"

> 5. Molly Ringwald (1984): "I can't believe I gave my panties to
> a geek!"

"Sixteen Candles"

> 6. Glenn Close (2000): "The last time I underestimated a puppy,
> I ended up in the pokey!"

"102 Dalmatians"

> 7. Clark Gable (1934): "Any guy that'd fall in love with your
> daughter ought to have his head examined."

"It Happened One Night"

> 8. Henry Fonda (1957): "It's not easy to raise my hand and send
> a boy off to die without talking about it first. We're talking
> about somebody's life here. We can't decide in 5 minutes.
> Supposing we're wrong."

"12 Angry Men"

> 9. Nick Nolte (1982): "Class isn't something you buy. Look at you;
> you've got on a $500 suit and you're still a low-life."

"48 Hrs."

> 10. Marilyn Monroe (1955): "When it gets hot like this, you know
> what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!"

"The Seven Year Itch"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jan 31, 2021, 8:12:37 AM1/31/21
2001: A Space Odyssey

> 2. Lily Tomlin (1980): "I am your employee and as such I expect to
> be treated with a little dignity and a little respect."

Nine to five

> 3. Jack Nicholson (1970): "I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken
> salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter,
> no lettuce. And a cup of coffee."

Five Easy Pieces

> 4. Tom Selleck (1987): "I'm an architect, for Christ's sake.
> I build 50-story skyscrapers, I assemble cities of the future.
> I can certainly put together a goddamn diaper."

Three Men and a Baby

> 5. Molly Ringwald (1984): "I can't believe I gave my panties to
> a geek!"
>
> 6. Glenn Close (2000): "The last time I underestimated a puppy,
> I ended up in the pokey!"

102 Dalmatians

> 7. Clark Gable (1934): "Any guy that'd fall in love with your
> daughter ought to have his head examined."
>
> 8. Henry Fonda (1957): "It's not easy to raise my hand and send
> a boy off to die without talking about it first. We're talking
> about somebody's life here. We can't decide in 5 minutes.
> Supposing we're wrong."
>
> 9. Nick Nolte (1982): "Class isn't something you buy. Look at you;
> you've got on a $500 suit and you're still a low-life."
>
> 10. Marilyn Monroe (1955): "When it gets hot like this, you know
> what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!"

Seven Year Itch

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Feb 1, 2021, 10:43:51 PM2/1/21
Mark Brader wrote:
> (The previous set -- Rounds 4 and 6 -- remains open as I post this.
> I'll close it in 17 hours or so, give or take.)
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-10,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Canadiana - Songs, Poems, and Poets
>
> 1. Recite *any one line* from the *French* version of "O Canada".
> The lines vary from 6 to about 10 syllables in French. (In the
> original game, the question continued: "We'll tell you when you
> can stop. In fact, we may insist on it.")
>
> 2. Name *any one* of the following: the author of the French words
> to "O Canada", the composer of the music, or the author of the
> English words commonly used before a revised version was made
> official. You don't have to say which one you're identifying.
>
> 3. Who wrote and performed "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy"?

Gordon Lightfoot
2001: A Space Odyssey (HAL 9000)

> 2. Lily Tomlin (1980): "I am your employee and as such I expect to
> be treated with a little dignity and a little respect."

9 to 5

> 3. Jack Nicholson (1970): "I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken
> salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter,
> no lettuce. And a cup of coffee."

Five Easy Pieces

> 4. Tom Selleck (1987): "I'm an architect, for Christ's sake.
> I build 50-story skyscrapers, I assemble cities of the future.
> I can certainly put together a goddamn diaper."
>
> 5. Molly Ringwald (1984): "I can't believe I gave my panties to
> a geek!"

Sixteen Candles

> 6. Glenn Close (2000): "The last time I underestimated a puppy,
> I ended up in the pokey!"

101 Dalmatians

> 7. Clark Gable (1934): "Any guy that'd fall in love with your
> daughter ought to have his head examined."
>
> 8. Henry Fonda (1957): "It's not easy to raise my hand and send
> a boy off to die without talking about it first. We're talking
> about somebody's life here. We can't decide in 5 minutes.
> Supposing we're wrong."

5 Days in May

> 9. Nick Nolte (1982): "Class isn't something you buy. Look at you;
> you've got on a $500 suit and you're still a low-life."
>
> 10. Marilyn Monroe (1955): "When it gets hot like this, you know
> what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!"

Seven Year Itch

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Feb 2, 2021, 10:21:03 PM2/2/21
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-10,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write these rounds.

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Canadiana - Songs, Poems, and Poets

> 1. Recite *any one line* from the *French* version of "O Canada".
> The lines vary from 6 to about 10 syllables in French. (In the
> original game, the question continued: "We'll tell you when you
> can stop. In fact, we may insist on it.")

O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix.
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

The lyrics mean:

O Canada! Land of our forefathers,
Your brow is wreathed with glorious garlands.
Just as your arm knows how to bear the sword,
It knows how to bear the cross.
Your history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
And your valor, tempered with faith,
Will protect our homes and our rights,
Will protect our homes and our rights.

This may be compared with the English version, which had no mention
of religion until the federal government started meddling with new
official words, and which ends with *Canadians* standing on guard
for *Canada* rather than vice versa.

> 2. Name *any one* of the following: the author of the French words
> to "O Canada", the composer of the music, or the author of the
> English words commonly used before a revised version was made
> official. You don't have to say which one you're identifying.

Adolphe-Basile Routhier, Calixa Lavallée, Robert Stanley Weir
(respectively).

> 3. Who wrote and performed "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy"?

Gordon Lightfoot. 4 for Pete.

> 4. Gilles Vigneault, in his song "Mon Pays", says that his country
> is not a country -- it's something else. What is it?

Winter (l'hiver). (He's still alive, but I would have written the
question in the present tense in any case, so no """ here.)

> 5. What patriotic song by Alexander Muir was published in 1868?

"The Maple Leaf Forever."

> 6. Name the BC-born writer who """is""" Canada's parliamentary
> poet laureate. He """has taught""" at Concordia and Simon
> Fraser U., and written fiction and a history of British Columbia.
> His poetry anthologies include "Blonds on Bikes".

2003 answer: George Bowering. 2021 answer: As of January the
position is vacant, but Georgette LeBlanc, who was born in Quebec,
was the last one, and I'll accept that.

It's a relatively new position; Bowering was the first one.

> 7. What traditional folk song tells of a young sailor being taken
> off to the wars, singing "for it's early in the morning and I'm
> far, far away"?

"Farewell to Nova Scotia".

> 8. Name the singer who wrote and performed the love song describing
> a scene in a bar, whose lyrics include:

> In the blue TV screen light
> I drew a map of Canada
> Oh Canada
> With your face sketched on it

Joni Mitchell. (She's still alive.)

> 9. Who wrote and performed, with a chorus of kids, the Centennial
> theme song "Ca-Na-Da"?

Bobby Gimby. (He died in 1998.)

> 10. A song by Robbie Robertson of The Band and a poem with a
> Canadian theme by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow share the same name,
> and it's a woman's name. What is this name?

"Evangeline". 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Entertainment - Take a Number

> Given the actor, the year, and a quote, name the movie -- which in
> each case will have *at least one number in the title*. If you
> want to show off, you can give the characters' names as well,
> but no points will be awarded (or deducted) for this.

> 1. Douglas Rain (1968): "It can only be attributed to human error."

"2001: A Space Odyssey" (as the HAL 9000). I accepted "2001" as
"almost correct". 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

Pete was the only entrant to attempt to name the character on any
question, and he did it only on this one, and he was right.

> 2. Lily Tomlin (1980): "I am your employee and as such I expect to
> be treated with a little dignity and a little respect."

"Nine to Five" (as Violet Newstead). 4 for everyone.

> 3. Jack Nicholson (1970): "I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken
> salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter,
> no lettuce. And a cup of coffee."

"Five Easy Pieces" (as Robert Dupea). 4 for everyone.

> 4. Tom Selleck (1987): "I'm an architect, for Christ's sake.
> I build 50-story skyscrapers, I assemble cities of the future.
> I can certainly put together a goddamn diaper."

"Three Men and a Baby" (as Peter Mitchell). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Molly Ringwald (1984): "I can't believe I gave my panties to
> a geek!"

"Sixteen Candles" (as Samantha Baker). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 6. Glenn Close (2000): "The last time I underestimated a puppy,
> I ended up in the pokey!"

"102 Dalmatians" (as Cruella de Vil). I accepted "101 Dalmatians"
(the previous movie) as almost correct. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.
3 for Pete.

> 7. Clark Gable (1934): "Any guy that'd fall in love with your
> daughter ought to have his head examined."

"It Happened One Night" (as Peter Warne). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Of course, almost the next thing he says is that he is, in fact,
in love with her.

> 8. Henry Fonda (1957): "It's not easy to raise my hand and send
> a boy off to die without talking about it first. We're talking
> about somebody's life here. We can't decide in 5 minutes.
> Supposing we're wrong."

"12 Angry Men" (as juror #8; his name is not given in the movie).
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

"Five Days in May" was not only the wrong movie but the wrong title
for it. It's seven days.

> 9. Nick Nolte (1982): "Class isn't something you buy. Look at you;
> you've got on a $500 suit and you're still a low-life."

"48 Hrs." (as Jack Cates). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. Marilyn Monroe (1955): "When it gets hot like this, you know
> what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!"

"The Seven Year Itch" (her character's name is also not given).
4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Sci His Geo Can Ent FOUR
Dan Blum 23 32 27 31 0 36 126
Joshua Kreitzer 24 32 8 28 4 40 124
Dan Tilque 4 24 36 32 0 24 116
Pete Gayde 4 12 0 29 4 23 68
Erland Sommarskog 0 12 0 39 -- -- 51

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
The precedence don't enter into it -- it's stone undefined.