Rotating Quiz #234 - The Music Quiz that isn't!

Calvin

Oct 4, 2016, 8:17:37 PM10/4/16
Greetings RGTers

I wanted to do a music round but feared accusations of bias (not that rgt is *that* type of newsgroup) so here is a compromise. RQ234 is based on historical events from the 1989 Billy Joel hit "We Didn't Start the Fire". All you need to do is name the year in which the following 15 events occurred. They are listed in chronological order and answers do NOT repeat, which should provide enough clues, So you need to be spot-on with the year.

No cheating and all that. Any ties will be decided in an arbitrary and yet to be determined manner. Good luck gentleman!

1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be televised.
2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces invade the south.
3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.
4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.
5 Disneyland opens on July 17.
6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.
7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.
8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.
9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.
10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is erected.
11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.
12 Richard Nixon is elected President.
13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.
14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.
15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening him on a New York City subway.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 4, 2016, 9:04:03 PM10/4/16
"Calvin":
> All you need to do is name the year in which the following 15
> events occurred...

> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be
> televised.

1949.

> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces invade
> the south.

1950.

> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.

1952.

> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.

1953.

> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.

1954.

> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.

1956.

> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.

1957.

> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.

1958.

> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.

1959.

> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is erected.

1961.

> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.

1963.

> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.

1968.

> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.

1970.

> 14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard
> Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.

1986.

> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening him
> on a New York City subway.

1982.
--
Mark Brader "I used to think that the name C++
Toronto was a euphemism for D-."

swp

Oct 4, 2016, 9:57:39 PM10/4/16
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 8:17:37 PM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> Greetings RGTers

greetings, earthling

> I wanted to do a music round but feared accusations of bias (not that rgt is *that* type of newsgroup) so here is a compromise. RQ234 is based on historical events from the 1989 Billy Joel hit "We Didn't Start the Fire". All you need to do is name the year in which the following 15 events occurred. They are listed in chronological order and answers do NOT repeat, which should provide enough clues, So you need to be spot-on with the year.
>
> No cheating and all that. Any ties will be decided in an arbitrary and yet to be determined manner. Good luck gentleman!
>
> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be televised.

1949

> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces invade the south.

1950

> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.

1952

> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.

1953

> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.

1955

> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.

1956

> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.

1957

> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.

1958

> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.

1959

> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is erected.

1961

> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.

1963

> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.

1968

> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.

1969 (I suppose you mean the first one)

> 14 Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space aboard Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.

1983

> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening him on a New York City subway.

1984

swp

Dan Blum

Oct 4, 2016, 11:15:19 PM10/4/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be televised.

1949

> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces invade the south.

1950

> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.

1952

> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.

1953

> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.

1954

> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.

1956

> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.

1957

> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.

1958

> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.

1959

> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is erected.

1960

> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.

1961

> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.

1968

> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.

1970

> 14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.

1984

> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening him on a New York City subway.

1986

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Oct 4, 2016, 11:54:37 PM10/4/16
Calvin wrote:
> Greetings RGTers
>
> I wanted to do a music round but feared accusations of bias (not that rgt is *that* type of newsgroup) so here is a compromise. RQ234 is based on historical events from the 1989 Billy Joel hit "We Didn't Start the Fire". All you need to do is name the year in which the following 15 events occurred. They are listed in chronological order and answers do NOT repeat, which should provide enough clues, So you need to be spot-on with the year.
>
> No cheating and all that. Any ties will be decided in an arbitrary and yet to be determined manner. Good luck gentleman!
>
> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be televised.

1949

> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces invade the south.

1950

> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.

1952

> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.

1953

> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.

1955

> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.

1956

> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.

1957 (October 4, to be exact)

> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.

1958

> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.

1959

> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is erected.

1961

> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.

1964

(what, no Pius XII question?)

> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.

1968

> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.

1970

> 14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.

1983

> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening him on a New York City subway.

1985

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Oct 5, 2016, 12:01:16 PM10/5/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Greetings RGTers
>
> I wanted to do a music round but feared accusations of bias (not that
> rgt is *that* type of newsgroup) so here is a compromise. RQ234 is
> based on historical events from the 1989 Billy Joel hit "We Didn't
> Start the Fire". All you need to do is name the year in which the
> following 15 events occurred. They are listed in chronological order
> and answers do NOT repeat, which should provide enough clues, So you
> need to be spot-on with the year.
>
> No cheating and all that. Any ties will be decided in an arbitrary and
> yet to be determined manner. Good luck gentleman!
>
> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be
> televised.

1949

> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after
> communist forces invade the south.

1950

> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.

1952

> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.

1953

> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.

1955

> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.

1956

> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.

1957

> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.

1958

> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.

1959

> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is
> erected.

1962

> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as
> Paul VI.

1963

> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.

1968

> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.

1969

> 14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard
> Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.

1973

> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots
> four young men who he said were threatening him on a New York City
> subway.

1975

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Peter Smyth

Oct 5, 2016, 12:14:50 PM10/5/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be
> televised.
1945
> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces
> invade the south.
1950
> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.
1952
> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.
1953
> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.
1955
> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.
1957
> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.
1961
> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.
1962
> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.
1965
> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is
> erected.
1966
> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.
1967
> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.
1968
> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.
1970
> 14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard
> Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.
1982
> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening
> him on a New York City subway.
1984

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 5, 2016, 3:06:10 PM10/5/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be
> televised.

1949

> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces
> invade the south.

1950

> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.

1952

> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.

1953

> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.

1955

> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.

1956

> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.

1957

> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.

1958

> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.

1960

> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is
> erected.

1961

> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.

1964

> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.

1968

> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.

1969

> 14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard
> Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.

1981

> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening
> him on a New York City subway.

1984

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 5, 2016, 3:30:06 PM10/5/16
In article <36ff3ee4-a48a-4682...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> Greetings RGTers
>
> I wanted to do a music round but feared accusations of bias (not that rgt is *that* type of newsgroup) so here is a compromise. RQ234 is based on historical events from the 1989 Billy Joel hit "We Didn't Start the Fire". All you need to do is name the year in which the following 15 events occurred. They are listed in chronological order and answers do NOT repeat, which should provide enough clues, So you need to be spot-on with the year.
>
> No cheating and all that. Any ties will be decided in an arbitrary and yet to be determined manner. Good luck gentleman!
>
> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be televised.
1949

> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces invade the south.
1951

> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.
1952

> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.
1954

> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.
1955

> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.
1956

> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.
1957

> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.
1959

> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.
1960

> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is erected.
1962

> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.
1963

> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.
1968

> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.
1969

> 14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.
1985

> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening him on a New York City subway.
1987

> cheers,
> calvin

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 5, 2016, 5:08:03 PM10/5/16
On 2016-10-05, Calvin wrote:
> Greetings RGTers
>
> I wanted to do a music round but feared accusations of bias (not that rgt is *that* type of newsgroup) so here is a compromise. RQ234 is based on historical events from the 1989 Billy Joel hit "We Didn't Start the Fire". All you need to do is name the year in which the following 15 events occurred. They are listed in chronological order and answers do NOT repeat, which should provide enough clues, So you need to be spot-on with the year.
>
> No cheating and all that. Any ties will be decided in an arbitrary and yet to be determined manner. Good luck gentleman!
>
> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be televised.

1946

> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces invade the south.

1951

> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.

1952 (the coronation was in 1953)

> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.

1954

> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.

1955

> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.

1956

> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.

1957

> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.

1958

> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.

1959

> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is erected.

1961

> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.

1964

> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.

1968

> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.

1969

> 14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.

1971

> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening him on a New York City subway.

1972

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Calvin

Oct 11, 2016, 6:18:16 PM10/11/16
Hi again

I didn't nominate a deadline. You have until midnight tomorrow GMT, so about 26 hours from now.

Calvin

Calvin

Oct 12, 2016, 8:59:48 PM10/12/16
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 10:17:37 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> Greetings RGTers
>
> I wanted to do a music round but feared accusations of bias (not that rgt is *that* type of newsgroup) so here is a compromise. RQ234 is based on historical events from the 1989 Billy Joel hit "We Didn't Start the Fire". All you need to do is name the year in which the following 15 events occurred. They are listed in chronological order and answers do NOT repeat, which should provide enough clues, So you need to be spot-on with the year.
>
> No cheating and all that. Any ties will be decided in an arbitrary and yet to be determined manner. Good luck gentleman!
>
> 1 Harry Truman's is the first US Presidential Inauguration to be televised.

1949
This was at the start of his *second* term.

> 2 North Korea and South Korea declare war after communist forces invade the south.

1950

> 3 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne.

1952
The year her father KG6 died. Her coronation was the following year.

> 4 Joseph Stalin dies on March 5.

1953
5th March, the same day as Prokofiev as you doubtless know.

> 5 Disneyland opens on July 17.

1955

> 6 The Suez Crisis worsens as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.

1956

> 7 Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite.

1957

> 8 Charles de Gaulle is elected president of France.

1958

> 9 Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba.

1959

> 10 Berlin is separated into East and West when the Berlin Wall is erected.

1961

> 11 Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy as Paul VI.

1963
There was no scope to work in Pius XII alas.

> 12 Richard Nixon is elected President.

1968
Commencing in 1696 of course

> 13 Woodstock rock and roll festival.

1969
The question referred to the first one obviously

> 14 Sally Ride becames the first American woman in space aboard Challenger on the STS-7 shuttle mission.

1983

> 15 Bernie Goetz shoots four young men who he said were threatening him on a New York City subway.

1984

The scores have been calculated by adding the (absolute) differences between correct and given answers. Lower is better.

Mark B SWP Dan B Dan T Pete G Peter S Erland Marc Chris
0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 3
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 4 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0 6 1 1 0
0 0 1 0 1 5 0 1 0
0 0 1 1 0 4 1 0 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0
3 0 1 0 10 1 2 2 12
2 0 2 1 9 0 0 3 12
7 0 7 3 20 30 4 10 30

SWP takes it with a perfect 0 and thereby gains the hosting rights for RQ235. Dan T is second and Erland third.

Thanks for playing.

cheers,
calvin

swp

Oct 12, 2016, 9:48:46 PM10/12/16
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 8:59:48 PM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> SWP takes it with a perfect 0 and thereby gains the hosting rights for RQ235. Dan T is second and Erland third.
>
> Thanks for playing.
>
> cheers,
> calvin

I'll have something up in the next day or so.

swp