Calvin's Quiz #486

Calvin

May 11, 2017, 9:33:06 PM5/11/17

1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how you manage to make ends meet"?
2 Which author created the literary character Tarzan?
3 Which biblical character was the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth?
4 Which is the only northern hemisphere country to have won the Rugby World Cup?
5 Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx played police detectives in which 2006 film?
6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?
7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?
8 Who was the Greek god wealth?
9 Which 1970s UK TV comedy series was set in Slade prison?
10 Whose best-selling 1997 album was titled "Come on Over"?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 11, 2017, 9:53:10 PM5/11/17
Calvin:
> 1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how
> you manage to make ends meet"?
> 2 Which author created the literary character Tarzan?

Burroughs.

> 3 Which biblical character was the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth?

Noah.

> 4 Which is the only northern hemisphere country to have won the
> Rugby World Cup?

England.

> 5 Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx played police detectives in which
> 2006 film?
> 6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?

Copper.

> 7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?

Baseball.

> 8 Who was the Greek god wealth?

Pluto.

> 9 Which 1970s UK TV comedy series was set in Slade prison?
> 10 Whose best-selling 1997 album was titled "Come on Over"?

Twain.
--
Mark Brader "Those who do not understand UNIX
Toronto are condemned to reinvent it."

Dan Blum

May 11, 2017, 10:29:23 PM5/11/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how you manage to make ends meet"?

Lady Madonna

> 2 Which author created the literary character Tarzan?

Edgar Rice Burroughs

> 3 Which biblical character was the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth?

Noah

> 4 Which is the only northern hemisphere country to have won the Rugby World Cup?

England

> 6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?

copper

> 7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?

baseball

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

May 12, 2017, 12:14:42 AM5/12/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how
> you manage to make ends meet"?

Lady Madonna

> 2 Which author created the literary character Tarzan?

Burroughs

> 3 Which biblical character was the father of
> Ham, Shem and Japheth?

Noah

> 4 Which is the only northern hemisphere
> country to have won the Rugby World Cup?

England

> 5 Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx played police detectives
> in which 2006 film?
> 6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?

Copper

> 7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?

Baseball

> 8 Who was the Greek god wealth?
> 9 Which 1970s UK TV comedy series was set in Slade prison?
> 10 Whose best-selling 1997 album was titled "Come on Over"?
>

> cheers,
> calvin
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

May 12, 2017, 1:52:48 AM5/12/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how you
> manage to make ends meet"?

Lady Madonna

> 2 Which author created the literary character Tarzan?

Burroughs

> 3 Which biblical character was the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth?

Noah

> 4 Which is the only northern hemisphere country to have won the Rugby
> World Cup?

Now you're just trolling me. ...England...

> 5 Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx played police detectives in which 2006
> film?

Miami Vice

> 6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?

Copper

> 7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?

Baseball

> 8 Who was the Greek god wealth?

Croesus??

> 9 Wehich 1970s UK TV comedy series was set in Slade prison?

Porridge

> 10 Whose best-selling 1997 album was titled "Come on Over"?

Shania Twain

Erland Sommarskog

May 12, 2017, 3:15:35 AM5/12/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how
> you manage to make ends meet"?

Lady Madonna

> 3 Which biblical character was the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth?

King David

> 4 Which is the only northern hemisphere country to have won the
> Rugby World Cup?

England

> 6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?

Copper

> 7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?

Baseball

> 8 Who was the Greek god wealth?

Crossus

Peter Smyth

May 12, 2017, 5:51:39 AM5/12/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how you
> manage to make ends meet"?
>
> 2 Which author created the literary character Tarzan?
Edgar Rice Burroughs
> 3 Which biblical character was the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth?
Noah
> 4 Which is the only northern hemisphere country to have won the Rugby
> World Cup?
England
> 5 Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx played police detectives in which 2006
> film?
>
> 6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?
Copper
> 7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?
Ice Hockey
> 8 Who was the Greek god wealth?
>
> 9 Which 1970s UK TV comedy series was set in Slade prison?
Porridge
> 10 Whose best-selling 1997 album was titled "Come on Over"?
Shania Twain

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

May 12, 2017, 11:39:44 AM5/12/17
In article <f0070c90-66b3-4f2b...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how you manage to make ends meet"?
Lady Madonna

> 2 Which author created the literary character Tarzan?
Edgar Rice Burroughs

> 3 Which biblical character was the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth?
Noah

> 4 Which is the only northern hemisphere country to have won the Rugby World Cup?
England

> 5 Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx played police detectives in which 2006 film?
> 6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?
copper

> 7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?
baseball

> 8 Who was the Greek god wealth?
> 9 Which 1970s UK TV comedy series was set in Slade prison?
> 10 Whose best-selling 1997 album was titled "Come on Over"?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Tilque

May 13, 2017, 4:24:48 AM5/13/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how you manage to make ends meet"?

Lady Madonna

> 2 Which author created the literary character Tarzan?

Edgar Rice Burroughs

> 3 Which biblical character was the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth?

Noah

> 4 Which is the only northern hemisphere country to have won the Rugby World Cup?

France

> 5 Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx played police detectives in which 2006 film?
> 6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?

copper

> 7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?

baseball

> 8 Who was the Greek god wealth?

Hermes ??

> 9 Which 1970s UK TV comedy series was set in Slade prison?
> 10 Whose best-selling 1997 album was titled "Come on Over"?

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

May 18, 2017, 9:37:05 PM5/18/17
On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 11:33:06 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "Wonder how you manage to make ends meet"?

Lady Madonna

> 2 Which author created the literary character Tarzan?

Edgar Rice Burroughs

> 3 Which biblical character was the father of Ham, Shem and Japheth?

Noah

> 4 Which is the only northern hemisphere country to have won the Rugby World Cup?

England

> 5 Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx played police detectives in which 2006 film?

Miami Vice
Singleton for Gareth

> 6 Which element makes up about 90% of the alloy bronze?

Copper

> 7 Which sport do the Pittsburgh Pirates play professionally?

Baseball

> 8 Who was the Greek god wealth?

Plutus
No-one got this, though Mark was close.
Croesus was a real person

> 9 Which 1970s UK TV comedy series was set in Slade prison?

Porridge

> 10 Whose best-selling 1997 album was titled "Come on Over"?

Shania Twain

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 486
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 48 Gareth Owen
0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 6 34 Peter Smyth
0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 6 39 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 6 42 Dan Blum
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 6 42 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 6 42 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 5 35 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 4 28 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 7 7 7 1 8 7 0 2 3 48 60%

Congratulations to Gareth on a comprehensive win.

cheers,
calvin

Gareth Owen

May 19, 2017, 1:39:33 AM5/19/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 8 Who was the Greek god wealth?
>
> Plutus

Deducible from "Plutocracy", but a nice tempting wrong answer ...

Good question

Calvin

May 21, 2017, 6:33:13 PM5/21/17
If no-one gets it right then I consider it a poor question. In retrospect it would have worked better in reverse.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 21, 2017, 7:54:43 PM5/21/17
"Calvin":

>>> Plutus

Gareth Owen:
>> Deducible from "Plutocracy", but a nice tempting wrong answer ...
>>
>> Good question

"Calvin":
> If no-one gets it right then I consider it a poor question.

Well, as Gareth said, it was deducible. Only you first had to have
*heard* of that god, which I don't believe I had.

Looking it up afterwards, I saw where Wikipedia said that Plutus and
Pluto are "often conflated", and I wondered if there might be an
appeal there; but web sites written by people who appear to know what
they're talking about make it clear that if this happens it's only
by mistake, like in my case.

> In retrospect it would have worked better in reverse.

Well, if the question was "Htlaew dog keerG eht saw ohw?" then I'd
still say Pluto, because he was a dog! So *there*! :-)

--
Mark Brader | "I do have an idea ... based on the quite obvious fact
Toronto | that the number two is ridiculous and can't exist."

Calvin

May 21, 2017, 8:03:04 PM5/21/17
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 9:54:43 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":

> > In retrospect it would have worked better in reverse.
>
> Well, if the question was "Htlaew dog keerG eht saw ohw?" then I'd
> still say Pluto, because he was a dog!

Partial credit.

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

May 21, 2017, 8:04:56 PM5/21/17
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 9:54:43 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> Looking it up afterwards, I saw where Wikipedia said that Plutus and
> Pluto are "often conflated", and I wondered if there might be an
> appeal there; but web sites written by people who appear to know what
> they're talking about make it clear that if this happens it's only
> by mistake, like in my case.

I checked that closely too!

cheers,
calvin

gwo...@gmail.com

May 22, 2017, 8:17:12 AM5/22/17
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 11:33:13 PM UTC+1, Calvin wrote:

> > > Plutus
> >
> > Deducible from "Plutocracy", but a nice tempting wrong answer ...
> >
> > Good question
>
> If no-one gets it right then I consider it a poor question. In retrospect it would have worked better in reverse.

Fair enough. I still think its a good question though.