Rotating Quiz #302: Step by Step

Dan Blum

Aug 14, 2018, 9:13:11 PM8/14/18
This is Rotating Quiz #302. Entries must be posted by Tuesday,
August 21st, 2018 at 10 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

If the answer is a person's name then only the surname is required,
but if any other part is given it must be correct or the answer will
not count.

There is a theme but it does not affect scoring. Each correct answer
is worth 2 points; I do not have any way in mind in which an answer
can be almost correct, but if one presents itself such an answer will
be worth 1 point.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most
points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which
the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be
posting order.

1. Beta Persei was one of the first stars other than novae to be seen
to be variable. It's possible that ancient civilizations noticed this
and this accounts for the names they gave it. Whether or not this is
true there certainly seems to have been consensus that it was bad
news; the Greeks placed it in Medusa's head and the Hebrew name
translates as "Satan's head." It's commonly known today by its Arabic
name, which is?

2. In 1989 researchers at the University of Southampton and the
University of Utah - under some pressure from the latter - announced
this huge supposed scientific breakthrough. No one could reproduce
their results and while a few people still work on this today, most
people in the field think there's nothing to it.

3. The most populous island in the world.

4. This formerly common viral disease has as one of its chief symptoms
the swelling of the parotid salivary glands.

5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.

6. This composer and screenwriter worked on the scores or scripts or
both for a number of movies, most of which are not well-known today
except for several Marx Brothers pictures. However, he wrote a number
of notable songs, many in partnership with Bert Kalmar. (The answer is
his professional name, not his original name.)

7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.

8. This 18th-century opera house in Milan is one of the best-known in
the world.

9. This novel by Vladimir Nabokov takes place on an alternate Earth
and is primarily concerned with an incestuous relationship.

10. This was the stage name of a country comedian and musician. She
appeared for many years at the Grand Ole Opry and on the television
show Hee Haw.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Aug 14, 2018, 10:18:32 PM8/14/18
Dan Blum:
> 1. Beta Persei was one of the first stars other than novae to be seen
> to be variable. It's possible that ancient civilizations noticed this
> and this accounts for the names they gave it. Whether or not this is
> true there certainly seems to have been consensus that it was bad
> news; the Greeks placed it in Medusa's head and the Hebrew name
> translates as "Satan's head." It's commonly known today by its Arabic
> name, which is?

Algol.

> 2. In 1989 researchers at the University of Southampton and the
> University of Utah - under some pressure from the latter - announced
> this huge supposed scientific breakthrough. No one could reproduce
> their results and while a few people still work on this today, most
> people in the field think there's nothing to it.

Cold fusion.

> 3. The most populous island in the world.

Java. I came across this somewhere yesterday.

> 4. This formerly common viral disease has as one of its chief symptoms
> the swelling of the parotid salivary glands.

Mumps.

> 5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
> the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
> work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.

> 7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.

Firth of Forth.

> 8. This 18th-century opera house in Milan is one of the best-known in
> the world.

La Scala.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "My ambition is to see a saying of mine attributed
m...@vex.net | to Dorothy Parker or Mark Twain." -- Joe Fineman

Mark Brader

Aug 14, 2018, 10:34:00 PM8/14/18
Mark Brader:
> > 5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
> > the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
> > work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.
>
> > 7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.

I wrote down the answer Pascal for 5, but must have accidentally erased it
along with question 6.
--
Mark Brader "...we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
Toronto with the giants on whose shoulders we stand."

Dan Blum

Aug 14, 2018, 11:26:52 PM8/14/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 3. The most populous island in the world.

> Java. I came across this somewhere yesterday.

I think it's come up at least twice in (relatively) recent posts here,
or I probably would have given a little more information.

Peter Smyth

Aug 15, 2018, 4:40:41 AM8/15/18
Java
> 4. This formerly common viral disease has as one of its chief symptoms
> the swelling of the parotid salivary glands.
>
> 5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
> the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
> work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.
Pascal
> 6. This composer and screenwriter worked on the scores or scripts or
> both for a number of movies, most of which are not well-known today
> except for several Marx Brothers pictures. However, he wrote a number
> of notable songs, many in partnership with Bert Kalmar. (The answer is
> his professional name, not his original name.)
>
> 7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.
Forth
> 8. This 18th-century opera house in Milan is one of the best-known in
> the world.
La Scala
> 9. This novel by Vladimir Nabokov takes place on an alternate Earth
> and is primarily concerned with an incestuous relationship.
>
> 10. This was the stage name of a country comedian and musician. She
> appeared for many years at the Grand Ole Opry and on the television
> show Hee Haw.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 15, 2018, 2:27:42 PM8/15/18
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> 1. Beta Persei was one of the first stars other than novae to be seen
> to be variable. It's possible that ancient civilizations noticed this
> and this accounts for the names they gave it. Whether or not this is
> true there certainly seems to have been consensus that it was bad
> news; the Greeks placed it in Medusa's head and the Hebrew name
> translates as "Satan's head." It's commonly known today by its Arabic
> name, which is?

Algol

> 2. In 1989 researchers at the University of Southampton and the
> University of Utah - under some pressure from the latter - announced
> this huge supposed scientific breakthrough. No one could reproduce
> their results and while a few people still work on this today, most
> people in the field think there's nothing to it.

Cold Fusion

> 3. The most populous island in the world.

Java

> 4. This formerly common viral disease has as one of its chief symptoms
> the swelling of the parotid salivary glands.

Mumps

> 5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
> the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
> work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.

Pascal

> 6. This composer and screenwriter worked on the scores or scripts or
> both for a number of movies, most of which are not well-known today
> except for several Marx Brothers pictures. However, he wrote a number
> of notable songs, many in partnership with Bert Kalmar. (The answer is
> his professional name, not his original name.)

Fortran :-)

> 7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.

Fourth

> 8. This 18th-century opera house in Milan is one of the best-known in
> the world.

La scala

> 9. This novel by Vladimir Nabokov takes place on an alternate Earth
> and is primarily concerned with an incestuous relationship.

Lolita

> 10. This was the stage name of a country comedian and musician. She
> appeared for many years at the Grand Ole Opry and on the television
> show Hee Haw.

Ruby

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 15, 2018, 2:29:45 PM8/15/18
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>>
>> > 3. The most populous island in the world.
>
>> Java. I came across this somewhere yesterday.
>
> I think it's come up at least twice in (relatively) recent posts here,
> or I probably would have given a little more information.

It was in Calvin's most recent RQ, so it gave me at a little headache,
as I did not want to get the answer wrong. At that point I had not
spotted theme.

Gareth Owen

Aug 15, 2018, 4:03:31 PM8/15/18
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) writes:

> 1. Beta Persei was one of the first stars other than novae to be seen
> to be variable. It's possible that ancient civilizations noticed this
> and this accounts for the names they gave it. Whether or not this is
> true there certainly seems to have been consensus that it was bad
> news; the Greeks placed it in Medusa's head and the Hebrew name
> translates as "Satan's head." It's commonly known today by its Arabic
> name, which is?

Algol?

> 2. In 1989 researchers at the University of Southampton and the
> University of Utah - under some pressure from the latter - announced
> this huge supposed scientific breakthrough. No one could reproduce
> their results and while a few people still work on this today, most
> people in the field think there's nothing to it.

Cold Fusion

> 3. The most populous island in the world.

Java

> 4. This formerly common viral disease has as one of its chief symptoms
> the swelling of the parotid salivary glands.

Mumps (sorry, MUMPS)

> 5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
> the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
> work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.

Pascal

> 6. This composer and screenwriter worked on the scores or scripts or
> both for a number of movies, most of which are not well-known today
> except for several Marx Brothers pictures. However, he wrote a number
> of notable songs, many in partnership with Bert Kalmar. (The answer is
> his professional name, not his original name.)

Perl?

> 7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.

Forth

> 8. This 18th-century opera house in Milan is one of the best-known in
> the world.

(La) Scala

> 9. This novel by Vladimir Nabokov takes place on an alternate Earth
> and is primarily concerned with an incestuous relationship.

Python??

> 10. This was the stage name of a country comedian and musician. She
> appeared for many years at the Grand Ole Opry and on the television
> show Hee Haw.

Ruby?

Dan Tilque

Aug 15, 2018, 8:20:39 PM8/15/18
Mizar

> 2. In 1989 researchers at the University of Southampton and the
> University of Utah - under some pressure from the latter - announced
> this huge supposed scientific breakthrough. No one could reproduce
> their results and while a few people still work on this today, most
> people in the field think there's nothing to it.

cold fusion

> 3. The most populous island in the world.

Honshu

> 4. This formerly common viral disease has as one of its chief symptoms
> the swelling of the parotid salivary glands.

mumps

> 5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
> the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
> work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.

Descartes

> 6. This composer and screenwriter worked on the scores or scripts or
> both for a number of movies, most of which are not well-known today
> except for several Marx Brothers pictures. However, he wrote a number
> of notable songs, many in partnership with Bert Kalmar. (The answer is
> his professional name, not his original name.)
>
> 7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.

Firth of Forth

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Aug 15, 2018, 10:11:02 PM8/15/18
On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 11:13:11 AM UTC+10, Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. Beta Persei was one of the first stars other than novae to be seen
> to be variable. It's possible that ancient civilizations noticed this
> and this accounts for the names they gave it. Whether or not this is
> true there certainly seems to have been consensus that it was bad
> news; the Greeks placed it in Medusa's head and the Hebrew name
> translates as "Satan's head." It's commonly known today by its Arabic
> name, which is?
>
> 2. In 1989 researchers at the University of Southampton and the
> University of Utah - under some pressure from the latter - announced
> this huge supposed scientific breakthrough. No one could reproduce
> their results and while a few people still work on this today, most
> people in the field think there's nothing to it.

Cold fusion?

> 3. The most populous island in the world.

Java

> 4. This formerly common viral disease has as one of its chief symptoms
> the swelling of the parotid salivary glands.

Mumps

> 5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
> the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
> work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.

Pascal

> 6. This composer and screenwriter worked on the scores or scripts or
> both for a number of movies, most of which are not well-known today
> except for several Marx Brothers pictures. However, he wrote a number
> of notable songs, many in partnership with Bert Kalmar. (The answer is
> his professional name, not his original name.)
>
> 7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.

Firth of Forth

> 8. This 18th-century opera house in Milan is one of the best-known in
> the world.

La Scala

> 9. This novel by Vladimir Nabokov takes place on an alternate Earth
> and is primarily concerned with an incestuous relationship.
>
> 10. This was the stage name of a country comedian and musician. She
> appeared for many years at the Grand Ole Opry and on the television
> show Hee Haw.

cheers,
calvin

swp

Aug 16, 2018, 11:00:05 PM8/16/18
On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 9:13:11 PM UTC-4, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #302. Entries must be posted by Tuesday,
> August 21st, 2018 at 10 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

that's my wife's birthday.

> There is a theme but it does not affect scoring.

hmmm

> Each correct answer
> is worth 2 points; I do not have any way in mind in which an answer
> can be almost correct, but if one presents itself such an answer will
> be worth 1 point.

I am certain that either Mark Brader or myself will find a way to only rate a single point

> 1. Beta Persei was one of the first stars other than novae to be seen
> to be variable. It's possible that ancient civilizations noticed this
> and this accounts for the names they gave it. Whether or not this is
> true there certainly seems to have been consensus that it was bad
> news; the Greeks placed it in Medusa's head and the Hebrew name
> translates as "Satan's head." It's commonly known today by its Arabic
> name, which is?

algol

> 2. In 1989 researchers at the University of Southampton and the
> University of Utah - under some pressure from the latter - announced
> this huge supposed scientific breakthrough. No one could reproduce
> their results and while a few people still work on this today, most
> people in the field think there's nothing to it.

cold fusion

> 3. The most populous island in the world.

java (ah. light bulb time.)

> 4. This formerly common viral disease has as one of its chief symptoms
> the swelling of the parotid salivary glands.

mumps

> 5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
> the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
> work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.

pascal

> 6. This composer and screenwriter worked on the scores or scripts or
> both for a number of movies, most of which are not well-known today
> except for several Marx Brothers pictures. However, he wrote a number
> of notable songs, many in partnership with Bert Kalmar. (The answer is
> his professional name, not his original name.)

... ruby?

> 7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.

firth of forth

> 8. This 18th-century opera house in Milan is one of the best-known in
> the world.

la scala

> 9. This novel by Vladimir Nabokov takes place on an alternate Earth
> and is primarily concerned with an incestuous relationship.

ada

> 10. This was the stage name of a country comedian and musician. She
> appeared for many years at the Grand Ole Opry and on the television
> show Hee Haw.

minnie pearl

swp, who is still on earth despite all evidence to the contrary

Dan Blum

Aug 22, 2018, 12:08:16 AM8/22/18
Rotating Quiz #302 is over and the winner is Stephen Perry with a
perfect score. He may set RQ #303.

The theme was things that are or sound like the names of computer
programming languages.

> 1. Beta Persei was one of the first stars other than novae to be seen
> to be variable. It's possible that ancient civilizations noticed this
> and this accounts for the names they gave it. Whether or not this is
> true there certainly seems to have been consensus that it was bad
> news; the Greeks placed it in Medusa's head and the Hebrew name
> translates as "Satan's head." It's commonly known today by its Arabic
> name, which is?

Algol

> 2. In 1989 researchers at the University of Southampton and the
> University of Utah - under some pressure from the latter - announced
> this huge supposed scientific breakthrough. No one could reproduce
> their results and while a few people still work on this today, most
> people in the field think there's nothing to it.

cold fusion

Cold Fusion is not precisely a programming language, but close
enough. I couldn't not use it.

> 3. The most populous island in the world.

Java

> 4. This formerly common viral disease has as one of its chief symptoms
> the swelling of the parotid salivary glands.

mumps

> 5. This 17th-century French thinker made contributions to theology,
> the physical sciences, and mathematics. Among the latter was the first
> work on probability theory, about which he corresponded with Fermat.

Blaise Pascal

> 6. This composer and screenwriter worked on the scores or scripts or
> both for a number of movies, most of which are not well-known today
> except for several Marx Brothers pictures. However, he wrote a number
> of notable songs, many in partnership with Bert Kalmar. (The answer is
> his professional name, not his original name.)

Harry Ruby

> 7. Edinburgh lies on the southern edge of this large estuary.

The Firth of Forth. I am awarding 1 point for "Forth" and "Fourth."

> 8. This 18th-century opera house in Milan is one of the best-known in
> the world.

La Scala

> 9. This novel by Vladimir Nabokov takes place on an alternate Earth
> and is primarily concerned with an incestuous relationship.

Ada

> 10. This was the stage name of a country comedian and musician. She
> appeared for many years at the Grand Ole Opry and on the television
> show Hee Haw.

Minnie Pearl

Scores:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total