Rotating Quiz #272: Out of Order

Dan Blum

Oct 22, 2017, 6:36:57 PM10/22/17
This is Rotating Quiz #272. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
October 29th, 2017 at 10 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

This quiz has a theme but answers do not necessarily have a thematic
and non-thematic part. In any case the entire usual name of whatever
is asked for must be given in each case. Each answer is worth 2 points
or 1 if it's close enough in some ill-defined way.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most
points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which
the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be
posting order.

1. This West African and Caribbean folk character variously appears as
the god of stories and a trickster figure. In the US some of his
traditional stories are applied to Br'er Rabbit. In the current
American Gods TV series he is played by Orlando Jones. Any of the
common names used for the character will be accepted.

2. This English king made a deal (the Treaty of Troyes) that
designated him heir to the French throne, but sadly for the English he
died unexpectedly two months before the French king, prolonging the
Hundred Years' War.

3. Many of Auguste Rodin's best-known sculptures were originally
studies for this monumental piece (six meters high) which was
originally planned for the entrance of a French museum. The museum was
never built, which was probably just as well since Rodin was still
working on the sculpture when he died, 32 years after the original
delivery date.

4. This English-Irish boy band took third place on The X Factor in
2010 and then were signed by Simon Cowell's label. They have released
five albums.

5. This Westminster site near Charing Cross was originally occupied by
the Royal Mews, but after George IV moved those it was (slowly)
developed into its current open form.

6. The third (and only surviving) play in a trilogy by Aeschylus, this
tells what happens after one of the sons of Oedipus refuses to
relinquish the kingship of their city to his brother as they
agreed. The brother gets an army and invades, as one does. Please give
the usual English title.

7. This is the first sequel to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.

8. This Greek philosopher and historian wrote about Socrates and the
latter part of the Peloponnesian War but is probably best known for
his account of the march or Greek mercenaries to the Battle of Cunaxa
and back again; he was one of the leaders of the return journey.

9. This Chinese hydroelectric facility is the world's largest power
station measured by rated capacity, and the second-largest measured by
annual power generation (in 2016, anyway).

10. In World War II the Allied Operation Neptune was an
appropriately-named phase of what larger operation?

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Oct 22, 2017, 7:53:51 PM10/22/17
On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 8:36:57 AM UTC+10, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #272.
>
> This quiz has a theme but answers do not necessarily have a thematic
> and non-thematic part. In any case the entire usual name of whatever
> is asked for must be given in each case. Each answer is worth 2 points
> or 1 if it's close enough in some ill-defined way.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most
> points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which
> the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be
> posting order.
>
> 1. This West African and Caribbean folk character variously appears as
> the god of stories and a trickster figure. In the US some of his
> traditional stories are applied to Br'er Rabbit. In the current
> American Gods TV series he is played by Orlando Jones. Any of the
> common names used for the character will be accepted.
>
> 2. This English king made a deal (the Treaty of Troyes) that
> designated him heir to the French throne, but sadly for the English he
> died unexpectedly two months before the French king, prolonging the
> Hundred Years' War.

Edward II

> 3. Many of Auguste Rodin's best-known sculptures were originally
> studies for this monumental piece (six meters high) which was
> originally planned for the entrance of a French museum. The museum was
> never built, which was probably just as well since Rodin was still
> working on the sculpture when he died, 32 years after the original
> delivery date.
>
> 4. This English-Irish boy band took third place on The X Factor in
> 2010 and then were signed by Simon Cowell's label. They have released
> five albums.

One Direction

> 5. This Westminster site near Charing Cross was originally occupied by
> the Royal Mews, but after George IV moved those it was (slowly)
> developed into its current open form.

Horseguards palace

> 6. The third (and only surviving) play in a trilogy by Aeschylus, this
> tells what happens after one of the sons of Oedipus refuses to
> relinquish the kingship of their city to his brother as they
> agreed. The brother gets an army and invades, as one does. Please give
> the usual English title.
>
> 7. This is the first sequel to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.

The Godfather Part II

> 8. This Greek philosopher and historian wrote about Socrates and the
> latter part of the Peloponnesian War but is probably best known for
> his account of the march or Greek mercenaries to the Battle of Cunaxa
> and back again; he was one of the leaders of the return journey.

Herodotus?

> 9. This Chinese hydroelectric facility is the world's largest power
> station measured by rated capacity, and the second-largest measured by
> annual power generation (in 2016, anyway).

Three Rivers dam

> 10. In World War II the Allied Operation Neptune was an
> appropriately-named phase of what larger operation?

Dunno.

The theme is something to do with numbers but I don;t have enough sure answers to get any further.

cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Oct 23, 2017, 4:08:44 AM10/23/17
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. This West African and Caribbean folk character variously appears as
> the god of stories and a trickster figure. In the US some of his
> traditional stories are applied to Br'er Rabbit. In the current
> American Gods TV series he is played by Orlando Jones. Any of the
> common names used for the character will be accepted.
>
> 2. This English king made a deal (the Treaty of Troyes) that
> designated him heir to the French throne, but sadly for the English he
> died unexpectedly two months before the French king, prolonging the
> Hundred Years' War.
Henry III
> 3. Many of Auguste Rodin's best-known sculptures were originally
> studies for this monumental piece (six meters high) which was
> originally planned for the entrance of a French museum. The museum was
> never built, which was probably just as well since Rodin was still
> working on the sculpture when he died, 32 years after the original
> delivery date.
>
> 4. This English-Irish boy band took third place on The X Factor in
> 2010 and then were signed by Simon Cowell's label. They have released
> five albums.
One Direction
> 5. This Westminster site near Charing Cross was originally occupied by
> the Royal Mews, but after George IV moved those it was (slowly)
> developed into its current open form.
Trafalgar Square
> 6. The third (and only surviving) play in a trilogy by Aeschylus, this
> tells what happens after one of the sons of Oedipus refuses to
> relinquish the kingship of their city to his brother as they
> agreed. The brother gets an army and invades, as one does. Please give
> the usual English title.
>
> 7. This is the first sequel to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.
The Godfather Part 2
> 8. This Greek philosopher and historian wrote about Socrates and the
> latter part of the Peloponnesian War but is probably best known for
> his account of the march or Greek mercenaries to the Battle of Cunaxa
> and back again; he was one of the leaders of the return journey.
>
> 9. This Chinese hydroelectric facility is the world's largest power
> station measured by rated capacity, and the second-largest measured by
> annual power generation (in 2016, anyway).
>
> 10. In World War II the Allied Operation Neptune was an
> appropriately-named phase of what larger operation?
D Day

Peter Smyth

swp

Oct 23, 2017, 5:35:06 PM10/23/17
On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 6:36:57 PM UTC-4, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #272. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> October 29th, 2017 at 10 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
> gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
> newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
> one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> This quiz has a theme but answers do not necessarily have a thematic
> and non-thematic part. In any case the entire usual name of whatever
> is asked for must be given in each case. Each answer is worth 2 points
> or 1 if it's close enough in some ill-defined way.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most
> points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which
> the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be
> posting order.
>
> 1. This West African and Caribbean folk character variously appears as
> the god of stories and a trickster figure. In the US some of his
> traditional stories are applied to Br'er Rabbit. In the current
> American Gods TV series he is played by Orlando Jones. Any of the
> common names used for the character will be accepted.

anansi (If you haven't read 'anansi boys' by neil gaiman, do yourself a favor and do so)

> 2. This English king made a deal (the Treaty of Troyes) that
> designated him heir to the French throne, but sadly for the English he
> died unexpectedly two months before the French king, prolonging the
> Hundred Years' War.

henry v

> 3. Many of Auguste Rodin's best-known sculptures were originally
> studies for this monumental piece (six meters high) which was
> originally planned for the entrance of a French museum. The museum was
> never built, which was probably just as well since Rodin was still
> working on the sculpture when he died, 32 years after the original
> delivery date.

I've been to his museum in philadelphia many times and for the life of me cannot recall this.

> 4. This English-Irish boy band took third place on The X Factor in
> 2010 and then were signed by Simon Cowell's label. They have released
> five albums.

one direction

> 5. This Westminster site near Charing Cross was originally occupied by
> the Royal Mews, but after George IV moved those it was (slowly)
> developed into its current open form.

mornington station

> 6. The third (and only surviving) play in a trilogy by Aeschylus, this
> tells what happens after one of the sons of Oedipus refuses to
> relinquish the kingship of their city to his brother as they
> agreed. The brother gets an army and invades, as one does. Please give
> the usual English title.

the oresteia

> 7. This is the first sequel to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.

the godfather part ii

> 8. This Greek philosopher and historian wrote about Socrates and the
> latter part of the Peloponnesian War but is probably best known for
> his account of the march or Greek mercenaries to the Battle of Cunaxa
> and back again; he was one of the leaders of the return journey.

xenophon

> 9. This Chinese hydroelectric facility is the world's largest power
> station measured by rated capacity, and the second-largest measured by
> annual power generation (in 2016, anyway).

I defer to Mark Brader for this answer...

> 10. In World War II the Allied Operation Neptune was an
> appropriately-named phase of what larger operation?

operation overlord

swp

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 24, 2017, 10:52:34 AM10/24/17
In article <osj6i8$c98$1...@reader2.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...
The Godfather II

> 8. This Greek philosopher and historian wrote about Socrates and the
> latter part of the Peloponnesian War but is probably best known for
> his account of the march or Greek mercenaries to the Battle of Cunaxa
> and back again; he was one of the leaders of the return journey.
>
> 9. This Chinese hydroelectric facility is the world's largest power
> station measured by rated capacity, and the second-largest measured by
> annual power generation (in 2016, anyway).
>
> 10. In World War II the Allied Operation Neptune was an
> appropriately-named phase of what larger operation?
D-Day

---
http://www.avg.com

Dan Blum

Oct 30, 2017, 11:23:20 PM10/30/17
Rotating Quiz #272 is over and Stephen Perry is the winner. He may set
RQ #273 and hopefully will attract more entrants.

The theme is numbers, specifically those from 1-10; each question has
some relation to a different number, but not its own.

> 1. This West African and Caribbean folk character variously appears as
> the god of stories and a trickster figure. In the US some of his
> traditional stories are applied to Br'er Rabbit. In the current
> American Gods TV series he is played by Orlando Jones. Any of the
> common names used for the character will be accepted.

Anansi. He often appears as a spider.

> 2. This English king made a deal (the Treaty of Troyes) that
> designated him heir to the French throne, but sadly for the English he
> died unexpectedly two months before the French king, prolonging the
> Hundred Years' War.

Henry V. The intended line of reasoning to get to the answer (other
than eliminating numbers 1-4) is "which king had that kind of
leverage?" Agincourt was the leverage.

> 3. Many of Auguste Rodin's best-known sculptures were originally
> studies for this monumental piece (six meters high) which was
> originally planned for the entrance of a French museum. The museum was
> never built, which was probably just as well since Rodin was still
> working on the sculpture when he died, 32 years after the original
> delivery date.

The Gates of Hell. This is specifically Dante's Hell which has nine
circles.

> 4. This English-Irish boy band took third place on The X Factor in
> 2010 and then were signed by Simon Cowell's label. They have released
> five albums.

One Direction

> 5. This Westminster site near Charing Cross was originally occupied by
> the Royal Mews, but after George IV moved those it was (slowly)
> developed into its current open form.

Trafalgar Square

> 6. The third (and only surviving) play in a trilogy by Aeschylus, this
> tells what happens after one of the sons of Oedipus refuses to
> relinquish the kingship of their city to his brother as they
> agreed. The brother gets an army and invades, as one does. Please give
> the usual English title.

Seven Against Thebes

"The Oresteia" is the name of a trilogy, not a play, and in any case
it's a different trilogy.

> 7. This is the first sequel to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.

The Godfather Part II

> 8. This Greek philosopher and historian wrote about Socrates and the
> latter part of the Peloponnesian War but is probably best known for
> his account of the march or Greek mercenaries to the Battle of Cunaxa
> and back again; he was one of the leaders of the return journey.

Xenophon. The group of mercenaries is commonly known as "the Ten
Thousand." Admittedly a bit weak.

> 9. This Chinese hydroelectric facility is the world's largest power
> station measured by rated capacity, and the second-largest measured by
> annual power generation (in 2016, anyway).

Three Gorges Dam

> 10. In World War II the Allied Operation Neptune was an
> appropriately-named phase of what larger operation?

Operation Overlord. Neptune was the D-Day landing, which occurred on
the sixth day of the sixth month.

"D-Day" I am giving just one point since it really refers to Neptune
itself.

Scores:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total
----------------------------------
Stephen 2 2 0 2 0 0 2 2 0 2 12
Peter 0 0 0 2 2 0 2 0 0 1 7
Calvin 0 0 0 2 0 0 2 0 0 0 4
Marc 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 3

Mark Brader did not officially enter but his unofficial slate would
have been worth 8 points.

swp

Oct 31, 2017, 7:47:24 PM10/31/17
thank you. I will post something soon.