QFTCIC Game 3, Rounds 4,6: particle physics, career records

Mark Brader

Nov 10, 2013, 6:45:56 PM11/10/13
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-09-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

* Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics

Particle physics is the branch of science that studies the
nature of particles that are the constituents of what is usually
referred to as matter and radiation. In current understanding,
particles are excitations of quantum fields and interact following
their dynamics.

The handout

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-4/physics.png

is only for your reference; not all answers will necessarily be
found on it. It represents the elementary particle content of
the Standard Model of Physics. Antiparticles are not pictured,
but are also part of the Standard Model.

1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.

2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
made up of?

3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?

4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
3/2, etc.) are what?

5. In contrast to bosons, only one <answer 3> can occupy a
particular quantum state at any given time. Thus if multiple
<answer 3>s have the same spatial probability distribution, then
they must differ in at least one property, such as their spin.
In other words, the total wave function for two identical
<answer 3>s is anti-symmetric with respect to exchange of
the particles. This principle is given *what name*, after yet
another prominent physicist?

6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?

7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
force?

8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
of what elementary particle?

10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
general relativity?

* Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports

If any of the questions is out of date due to the record having
changed hands since the round was written, I will accept either the
old or the new answer.

1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
with 762?

2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
points?

3. Who is the NHL career leader in penalties, with 3,966 minutes?

4. Who holds both the record for most career regular-season
touchdown passes, with 508, and also the more dubious record
for most interceptions thrown, with 336?

5. Which active CFL player holds the record for most career passing
touchdowns, with 455 as of 2013-09-29?

6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
Cup Tournaments, with 15?

7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
at the age of 43.

8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
"Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.

9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

10. Who holds the record for stealing home, with an incredible
54 times in his career?

--
Mark Brader | "Reality aside, we would like to deploy a methodology
m...@vex.net | for how Rooter might behave in theory."

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 10, 2013, 7:46:23 PM11/10/13
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?

photon; gluon

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

2 protons and 2 neutrons

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?

gravity

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports
>
> 1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
> with 762?

Barry Bonds

> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?

Pele

> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

Martina Navratilova

> 10. Who holds the record for stealing home, with an incredible
> 54 times in his career?

Rickey Henderson

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jeffrey Turner

Nov 10, 2013, 9:10:20 PM11/10/13
On 11/10/2013 6:45 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> Particle physics is the branch of science that studies the
> nature of particles that are the constituents of what is usually
> referred to as matter and radiation. In current understanding,
> particles are excitations of quantum fields and interact following
> their dynamics.
>
> The handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-4/physics.png
>
> is only for your reference; not all answers will necessarily be
> found on it. It represents the elementary particle content of
> the Standard Model of Physics. Antiparticles are not pictured,
> but are also part of the Standard Model.
>
> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.

Hadrons

> 2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
> made up of?

Two quarks

> 3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
> labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
> Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
> to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?
>
> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?

bosons mates - er, leptons

> 5. In contrast to bosons, only one <answer 3> can occupy a
> particular quantum state at any given time. Thus if multiple
> <answer 3>s have the same spatial probability distribution, then
> they must differ in at least one property, such as their spin.
> In other words, the total wave function for two identical
> <answer 3>s is anti-symmetric with respect to exchange of
> the particles. This principle is given *what name*, after yet
> another prominent physicist?

Pauli exclusion principle

> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?
>
> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?

photon

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

Two protons and two neutrons

> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?

Electrons

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?

Gravity (but the Higgs boson could change that).

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports
>
> If any of the questions is out of date due to the record having
> changed hands since the round was written, I will accept either the
> old or the new answer.
>
> 1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
> with 762?

Bonds

> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?

Jordan

> 3. Who is the NHL career leader in penalties, with 3,966 minutes?
>
> 4. Who holds both the record for most career regular-season
> touchdown passes, with 508, and also the more dubious record
> for most interceptions thrown, with 336?

Favre

> 5. Which active CFL player holds the record for most career passing
> touchdowns, with 455 as of 2013-09-29?
>
> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?

Pele

> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.
>
> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.

Orr

> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

Navratilova

> 10. Who holds the record for stealing home, with an incredible
> 54 times in his career?

Brock

--Jeff

Dan Blum

Nov 10, 2013, 10:41:07 PM11/10/13
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics

> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.

hadron

> 2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
> made up of?

two quarks

> 3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
> labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
> Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
> to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?

fermions

> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?

fermions

> 5. In contrast to bosons, only one <answer 3> can occupy a
> particular quantum state at any given time. Thus if multiple
> <answer 3>s have the same spatial probability distribution, then
> they must differ in at least one property, such as their spin.
> In other words, the total wave function for two identical
> <answer 3>s is anti-symmetric with respect to exchange of
> the particles. This principle is given *what name*, after yet
> another prominent physicist?

Pauli exclusion principle

> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?

protons and neutrons

> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?

photon

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

two protons

> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?

electron

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?

gravity

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports

> 1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
> with 762?

McGwire; Jackson

> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?

Chamberlain; Erving

> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?

Pele

> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.

Michael Jordan

> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.

Wayne Gretzky

> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

McEnroe; Connors

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 11, 2013, 1:22:12 AM11/11/13
In article <XI2dnegpBOMphx3P...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> Particle physics is the branch of science that studies the
> nature of particles that are the constituents of what is usually
> referred to as matter and radiation. In current understanding,
> particles are excitations of quantum fields and interact following
> their dynamics.
>
> The handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-4/physics.png
>
> is only for your reference; not all answers will necessarily be
> found on it. It represents the elementary particle content of
> the Standard Model of Physics. Antiparticles are not pictured,
> but are also part of the Standard Model.
>
> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.
Hadron

> 2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
> made up of?
one quark and one anti-quark

> 3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
> labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
> Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
> to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?
Fermions

> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?
Fermions

> 5. In contrast to bosons, only one <answer 3> can occupy a
> particular quantum state at any given time. Thus if multiple
> <answer 3>s have the same spatial probability distribution, then
> they must differ in at least one property, such as their spin.
> In other words, the total wave function for two identical
> <answer 3>s is anti-symmetric with respect to exchange of
> the particles. This principle is given *what name*, after yet
> another prominent physicist?
Pauli Exclusion Principle

> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?
proton and neutron

> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?
photon

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?
2 protons and 2 neutrons

> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?
electron

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?
gravity

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports
>
> If any of the questions is out of date due to the record having
> changed hands since the round was written, I will accept either the
> old or the new answer.
>
> 1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
> with 762?
Barry Bonds

> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

> 3. Who is the NHL career leader in penalties, with 3,966 minutes?
>
> 4. Who holds both the record for most career regular-season
> touchdown passes, with 508, and also the more dubious record
> for most interceptions thrown, with 336?
Bret Favre

> 5. Which active CFL player holds the record for most career passing
> touchdowns, with 455 as of 2013-09-29?
>
> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?
>
> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.
Robert "Chief" Parish

> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.
>
> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?
Martina Navratalova

> 10. Who holds the record for stealing home, with an incredible
> 54 times in his career?
Rod Carew

Dan Tilque

Nov 11, 2013, 2:50:03 AM11/11/13
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> Particle physics is the branch of science that studies the
> nature of particles that are the constituents of what is usually
> referred to as matter and radiation. In current understanding,
> particles are excitations of quantum fields and interact following
> their dynamics.
>
> The handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-4/physics.png
>
> is only for your reference; not all answers will necessarily be
> found on it. It represents the elementary particle content of
> the Standard Model of Physics. Antiparticles are not pictured,
> but are also part of the Standard Model.
>
> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.

hadrons

> 2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
> made up of?

two quarks

> 3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
> labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
> Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
> to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?

fermions (after Enrico Fermi)

> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?

leptons

> 5. In contrast to bosons, only one <answer 3> can occupy a
> particular quantum state at any given time. Thus if multiple
> <answer 3>s have the same spatial probability distribution, then
> they must differ in at least one property, such as their spin.
> In other words, the total wave function for two identical
> <answer 3>s is anti-symmetric with respect to exchange of
> the particles. This principle is given *what name*, after yet
> another prominent physicist?

Pauli exclusion principle (after Wolfgang Pauli)

> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?

neutrons and protons

> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?

photon

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

two neutrons and two protons

> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?

electron

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?

gravity

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports
>
> If any of the questions is out of date due to the record having
> changed hands since the round was written, I will accept either the
> old or the new answer.
>
> 1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
> with 762?

McGuire

> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?

Chamberlain

> 3. Who is the NHL career leader in penalties, with 3,966 minutes?

Howe

> 4. Who holds both the record for most career regular-season
> touchdown passes, with 508, and also the more dubious record
> for most interceptions thrown, with 336?

Unitas

> 5. Which active CFL player holds the record for most career passing
> touchdowns, with 455 as of 2013-09-29?

Moon

> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?
>
> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.

Abdul-Jabbar

> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.

Gretzky

--
Dan Tilque

Who needs TV when you can have the whole Internet insulting your
intelligence? -- Ziggy

calvin

Nov 11, 2013, 5:03:52 AM11/11/13
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:45:56 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> Particle physics is the branch of science that studies the
> nature of particles that are the constituents of what is usually
> referred to as matter and radiation. In current understanding,
> particles are excitations of quantum fields and interact following
> their dynamics.
>
> The handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-4/physics.png
>
> is only for your reference; not all answers will necessarily be
> found on it. It represents the elementary particle content of
> the Standard Model of Physics. Antiparticles are not pictured,
> but are also part of the Standard Model.
>
> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.

Neutrino, Boson

> 2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
> made up of?
>
> 3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
> labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
> Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
> to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?
>
> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?

Quarks

> 5. In contrast to bosons, only one <answer 3> can occupy a
> particular quantum state at any given time. Thus if multiple
> <answer 3>s have the same spatial probability distribution, then
> they must differ in at least one property, such as their spin.
> In other words, the total wave function for two identical
> <answer 3>s is anti-symmetric with respect to exchange of
> the particles. This principle is given *what name*, after yet
> another prominent physicist?
>
> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?
>
> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?

Z, W

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

2 protons

> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?

Neutrons, Electrons

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?

Quantum mechanics?

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports
>
> If any of the questions is out of date due to the record having
> changed hands since the round was written, I will accept either the
> old or the new answer.
>
> 1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
> with 762?

Bonds, McGwire

> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

> 3. Who is the NHL career leader in penalties, with 3,966 minutes?

Gordie Howe I hope

> 4. Who holds both the record for most career regular-season
> touchdown passes, with 508, and also the more dubious record
> for most interceptions thrown, with 336?

Montana, Favre

> 5. Which active CFL player holds the record for most career passing
> touchdowns, with 455 as of 2013-09-29?

Pope Pius XII

> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?

Pele, Maradona

> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.

Chamberlain, Parish

> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.

Gretzky. I assume he is Mr Hockey but that's all I got.

> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

Court

> 10. Who holds the record for stealing home, with an incredible
> 54 times in his career?

Mays?

--
cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Nov 11, 2013, 5:13:18 AM11/11/13
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> Particle physics is the branch of science that studies the
> nature of particles that are the constituents of what is usually
> referred to as matter and radiation. In current understanding,
> particles are excitations of quantum fields and interact following
> their dynamics.
>
> The handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-4/physics.png
>
> is only for your reference; not all answers will necessarily be
> found on it. It represents the elementary particle content of
> the Standard Model of Physics. Antiparticles are not pictured,
> but are also part of the Standard Model.
>
> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.
Hadrons
> 2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
> made up of?
A quark and an anti-quark
> 3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
> labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
> Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
> to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?
Fermion
> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?
Leptons
> 5. In contrast to bosons, only one <answer 3> can occupy a
> particular quantum state at any given time. Thus if multiple
> <answer 3>s have the same spatial probability distribution, then
> they must differ in at least one property, such as their spin.
> In other words, the total wave function for two identical
> <answer 3>s is anti-symmetric with respect to exchange of
> the particles. This principle is given *what name*, after yet
> another prominent physicist?
>
> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?
Proton and Neutron
> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?
Photon
> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?
Two protons and two neutrons
> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?
Electron
> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?
Gravity

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports
>
> If any of the questions is out of date due to the record having
> changed hands since the round was written, I will accept either the
> old or the new answer.
>
> 1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
> with 762?
Bonds
> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?
Jordan, Chamberlain
> 3. Who is the NHL career leader in penalties, with 3,966 minutes?
Gretzky
> 4. Who holds both the record for most career regular-season
> touchdown passes, with 508, and also the more dubious record
> for most interceptions thrown, with 336?
Montana
> 5. Which active CFL player holds the record for most career passing
> touchdowns, with 455 as of 2013-09-29?
>
> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?
Muller
> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.
Jordan, Chamberlain
> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.
Gretzky
> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?
Navratilova
> 10. Who holds the record for stealing home, with an incredible
> 54 times in his career?
Ruth

Peter Smyth

Pete

Nov 12, 2013, 10:24:11 AM11/12/13
Hadrons
Barry Bonds (with an asterisk!)

> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

> 3. Who is the NHL career leader in penalties, with 3,966 minutes?

Domi

> 4. Who holds both the record for most career regular-season
> touchdown passes, with 508, and also the more dubious record
> for most interceptions thrown, with 336?

Favre

> 5. Which active CFL player holds the record for most career passing
> touchdowns, with 455 as of 2013-09-29?
>
> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?

Pele; Fontaine

> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.

Chamberlain; Lewis

> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.

Chelios

> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

Navratilova

> 10. Who holds the record for stealing home, with an incredible
> 54 times in his career?

Ty Cobb

Pete

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 12, 2013, 3:26:40 PM11/12/13
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.

Hadrons

> 2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
> made up of?

Two quarks

> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?

Quarks and leptons, if the handout is to be believed.

> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?

Neutrinos and electrons

> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?

photon

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

Two protons and two neutrons.

> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?

Electron

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?

Gravity

* Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports

> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?

Ronaldo (from Brazil, not the current Cristian Ronaldo from Portugal).

(I first read the question as which player who scored the most number
of goals in a single tournament and tore my hear. I know when and
where and from which country he comes from, but not the name. Thank-
fully I tried reading the question a second time.)

> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.

Gordie Howe

> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

Martina Navratilova

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 12, 2013, 3:32:46 PM11/12/13
Pete (pag...@wowway.com) writes:
>> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
>> Cup Tournaments, with 15?
>
> Pele; Fontaine

Ah, Fontaine! That was the guy I had in mind. For the record of most
goals in a single tournament, that is. And, no, I am sorry for all
Pelé fans, but that is not the right answer. But Pelé made his debut
in the same tournament as Juste Fontaine struck his record.

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Nov 12, 2013, 4:23:11 PM11/12/13
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.

hadrons

> 3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
> labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
> Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
> to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?

fermions

> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?

fermions

> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?

neutrinos & anti-neutrinos

> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?

gluon

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

2 protons & 2 neutrons

> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?

electron

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?

gravity

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports
>
> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?

Michael Jordan; Magic Johnson

> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?

Pele; Ronaldo

> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.

Michael Jordan; Magic Johnson

> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

Margaret Court

Rob

swp

Nov 12, 2013, 7:25:46 PM11/12/13
On Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:45:56 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics
>
> Particle physics is the branch of science that studies the
> nature of particles that are the constituents of what is usually
> referred to as matter and radiation. In current understanding,
> particles are excitations of quantum fields and interact following
> their dynamics.
>
> The handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-4/physics.png
>
> is only for your reference; not all answers will necessarily be
> found on it. It represents the elementary particle content of
> the Standard Model of Physics. Antiparticles are not pictured,
> but are also part of the Standard Model.
>
> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.

hadrons

> 2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
> made up of?

quark and anti-quark pairs

> 3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
> labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
> Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
> to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?

fermions

> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?

fermions

> 5. In contrast to bosons, only one <answer 3> can occupy a
> particular quantum state at any given time. Thus if multiple
> <answer 3>s have the same spatial probability distribution, then
> they must differ in at least one property, such as their spin.
> In other words, the total wave function for two identical
> <answer 3>s is anti-symmetric with respect to exchange of
> the particles. This principle is given *what name*, after yet
> another prominent physicist?

eigenstate?

> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?

proton, neutron

> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?

photon

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

two protons and two neutrons

> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?

electrons ; positrons

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?

gravity

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports
>
> If any of the questions is out of date due to the record having
> changed hands since the round was written, I will accept either the
> old or the new answer.
>
> 1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
> with 762?

barry bonds (unless his eventual ban for life from the sport due to drug use disqualified him, in which case it is hank aaron)

> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?

kareem abdul-jabbar

> 3. Who is the NHL career leader in penalties, with 3,966 minutes?

dave schultz

> 4. Who holds both the record for most career regular-season
> touchdown passes, with 508, and also the more dubious record
> for most interceptions thrown, with 336?

brett favre

> 5. Which active CFL player holds the record for most career passing
> touchdowns, with 455 as of 2013-09-29?

brett favre

> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?

rinaldo (of brazil)

> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.

kareem abdul-jabbar

> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.

chris chelios?

> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

martina navratilova ; billie jean king

> 10. Who holds the record for stealing home, with an incredible
> 54 times in his career?

ty cobb ; ricky henderson

swp

Mark Brader

Nov 14, 2013, 12:39:18 AM11/14/13
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-09-30,
> see my 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I also meant to say, on this set and the one or two before, that
all questions were written by members of Clueless, and are used here
by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me.

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Particle Physics

> Particle physics is the branch of science that studies the
> nature of particles that are the constituents of what is usually
> referred to as matter and radiation. In current understanding,
> particles are excitations of quantum fields and interact following
> their dynamics.

> The handout

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-4/physics.png

> is only for your reference; not all answers will necessarily be
> found on it. It represents the elementary particle content of
> the Standard Model of Physics. Antiparticles are not pictured,
> but are also part of the Standard Model.

> 1. Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are
> never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found
> only within what type of particle? Baryons (of which protons
> and neutrons are examples), and mesons are subtypes of these.
> The world's largest particle accelerator collides them.

Hadrons. 4 for Jeff, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Pete,
Erland, Rob, and Stephen.

> 2. Baryons are each made up of three quarks. What are mesons each
> made up of?

One quark and one antiquark. 4 for Marc, Peter, and Stephen.

Yeah, there's a case for saying that antiquarks are a kind of quark,
particularly in view of answer 9, so the answer of "two quarks"
would be correct. But the mention of antiparticles in the preamble,
combined with the reference sheet, was intended to rule that out,
and I'm standing by the ruling. I made the same mistake myself at
our game and did not register a protest.

> 3. Elementary particles on the right hand side of the diagram are
> labeled as "gauge bosons", named for physicist Satyendra Bose.
> Among the elementary particles, what collective term applies
> to quarks and leptons, after another prominent physicist?

Fermions. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Rob, and Stephen.

> 4. According to the spin-statistics theorem in any reasonable
> relativistic quantum field theory, particles with integer spin
> are bosons, while particles with "half-integer" spin (i.e. 1/2,
> 3/2, etc.) are what?

Fermions (yes, again). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, and Stephen.

> 5. In contrast to bosons, only one <answer 3> can occupy a
> particular quantum state at any given time. Thus if multiple
> <answer 3>s have the same spatial probability distribution, then
> they must differ in at least one property, such as their spin.
> In other words, the total wave function for two identical
> <answer 3>s is anti-symmetric with respect to exchange of
> the particles. This principle is given *what name*, after yet
> another prominent physicist?

The Pauli exclusion principle. 4 for Jeff, Dan Blum, Marc,
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. What two types of baryons have the smallest mass?

Protons and neutrons. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter,
and Stephen.

> 7. In the Standard Model, gauge bosons are defined as force carriers
> that mediate the strong, weak, and electromagnetic fundamental
> interactions. Which gauge boson mediates the electromagnetic
> force?

Photon. 4 for Jeff, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Erland,
and Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> 8. The alpha particle, discovered by Ernest Rutherford in uranium
> radiation in 1899 is generally produced in the process of alpha
> decay. For example, uranium-238 decays through alpha particle
> emission to become thorium-234. An alpha particle consists of
> what combination of particles, identical to a helium nucleus?

Two protons and two neutrons. 4 for Joshua, Jeff, Marc, Dan Tilque,
Peter, Erland, Rob, and Stephen.

> 9. Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a beta
> particle is emitted from an atomic nucleus. Beta decay is a
> process which allows the atom to improve its ratio of protons
> to neutrons. Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed versions
> of what elementary particle?

Electrons. Also accepting positrons (antielectrons). 4 for Jeff,
Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Erland, Rob, and Stephen.
2 for Calvin.

> 10. Theoretical and experimental research has attempted to extend
> the Standard Model into a unified field theory, a complete
> theory explaining all physical phenomena. Noteably absent
> from the Standard Model is what interaction, described by
> general relativity?

Gravity. 4 for Joshua, Jeff, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter,
Erland, Rob, and Stephen.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Sports - Career Records in Major Sports

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> If any of the questions is out of date due to the record having
> changed hands since the round was written, I will accept either the
> old or the new answer.

But I'm not going to re-research them all. If you believe your
answer was ruled wrong but is now correct, please let me know.

> 1. Who holds the Major League record for most career home runs,
> with 762?

Barry Bonds. Yeah, a dubious claim. 4 for Joshua, Jeff, Marc,
Peter, Pete, and Stephen. 3 for Calvin.

> 2. Who is the all-time NBA career leading scorer, with 38,387
> points?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, or Lew Alcindor. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Calvin,
Pete, and Stephen.

> 3. Who is the NHL career leader in penalties, with 3,966 minutes?

Dave "Tiger" Williams.

> 4. Who holds both the record for most career regular-season
> touchdown passes, with 508, and also the more dubious record
> for most interceptions thrown, with 336?

Brett Favre ("Farv"). 4 for Jeff, Marc, Pete, and Stephen.
2 for Calvin.

> 5. Which active CFL player holds the record for most career passing
> touchdowns, with 455 as of 2013-09-29?

Anthony Calvillo.

> 6. Who holds the record for most total goals scored in FIFA World
> Cup Tournaments, with 15?

Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima. Ronaldo was sufficient. 4 for Erland
and Stephen. 2 for Rob.

> 7. Who holds the record for most career NBA games played, at 1,611?
> He is also the oldest player to ever win an NBA championship,
> at the age of 43.

Robert Parish. 4 for Marc. 2 for Calvin.

> 8. Who holds the record by appearing in the most NHL playoff
> seasons, with 24? As to the regular season, he is tied with
> "Mr. Hockey" at 26 seasons.

Chris Chelios. ("Mr. Hockey", of course, is Gordie Howe.) 4 for Pete
and Stephen.

> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?

Margaret Court. 4 for Calvin and Rob.

Most people guessed it was a woman, but not which one. As I recall,
that's also what happened at our game.

> 10. Who holds the record for stealing home, with an incredible
> 54 times in his career?

Ty Cobb. 4 for Pete. 3 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo His Sci Spo
Stephen Perry 31 40 36 23 130
Marc Dashevsky 24 12 40 16 92
Jeff Turner 24 24 24 8 80
Dan Tilque 23 16 32 0 71
Dan Blum 15 23 32 0 70
Rob Parker 16 19 24 6 65
Peter Smyth 8 12 32 4 56
Erland Sommarskog 28 4 20 4 56
Joshua Kreitzer 20 13 11 8 52
Pete Gayde 22 6 4 20 52
"Calvin" 16 0 2 15 33
Jason Kreitzer 8 0 -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader | "/dev/null institutionalizes a regrettable loss of bits

Rob Parker

Nov 14, 2013, 7:40:00 AM11/14/13

"Mark Brader" <m...@vex.net> wrote in message
>> 9. Who holds the record for the most tennis Grand Slam event titles,
>> with 62 combined between singles, doubles, and mixed doubles?
>
> Margaret Court. 4 for Calvin and Rob.

Aussies rule ;-)

Rob