QFTCICR19 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: 1970s US cinema, CanDates

Mark Brader

Apr 29, 2019, 2:00:02 AM4/29/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Landmark 1970s American Cinema

For each movie, you must name the title *and* the director.

1. 1974: The story of an acerbic 1960s comic whose groundbreaking,
no-holds-barred style and social commentary was often deemed
by the Establishment as too obscene for the public.

2. 1971: Shot in black-and-white and set in a dying Texas town,
this was the film debut of Cybill Shepherd, who the director
had discovered; they went on to have an 8-year relationship.

3. 1974: This Italian-American director made the first sequel ever
to win an Academy Award for Best Picture.

4. 1973: Set in the world of small-time New-York hoodlums and
gangsters was this director's first of many collaborations with
Robert De Niro.

5. 1975: At nearly 3 hours, this movie features a huge cast of
24 main characters. It's set in the South in the "capital of
country music".

6. 1974: A neo-film-noir mystery, nominated for 11 Academy Awards,
was this director's last movie made in the US before he fled the
country to avoid being imprisoned for unlawful sex with a minor.

7. 1975: comedy-drama based on a Ken Kesey novel. This movie won
all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Actor in Lead Role,
Actress in Lead Role, Director and Screenplay). It was this
Czech director's second movie made in the US.

8. 1971: A gritty crime movie that, in the era of MPAA ratings,
became the first R-rated movie to win the Academy Award for
Best Picture. Two years later, the same person would direct
one of the most famous horror movies of all time.

9. 1976: A political drama based on the 1974 non-fiction book of the
same name by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, the two journalists
investigating the Watergate scandal for the "Washington Post".

10. 1971: US science-fiction movie set in a dystopian future where
the populace is controlled through android police and mandatory
use of drugs that suppress emotions. This was the director's
debut. He later founded a company using part of the same name,
to assure high-quality audio in movie theaters.

* Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana History - Dates in Canadian History.

In case case, tell us what happened that day. Where applicable,
be specific. There will be some leniency in scoring.

1. 1982-03-29.
2. 1885-11-07.
3. 1967-04-27.
4. 1919-05-15.
5. 1917-04-09.
6. 1988-09-22.
7. 1970-10-16.
8. 1972-09-28.
9. 1976-07-17.
10. 1995-10-30.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "C and C++ are two different languages.
m...@vex.net That's UK policy..." -- Clive Feather

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 29, 2019, 9:38:37 AM4/29/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:TK2dnWmJJLZBD1vBnZ2dnUU7-
RPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Landmark 1970s American Cinema
>
> For each movie, you must name the title *and* the director.
>
> 1. 1974: The story of an acerbic 1960s comic whose groundbreaking,
> no-holds-barred style and social commentary was often deemed
> by the Establishment as too obscene for the public.

"Lenny," Bob Fosse

> 2. 1971: Shot in black-and-white and set in a dying Texas town,
> this was the film debut of Cybill Shepherd, who the director
> had discovered; they went on to have an 8-year relationship.

"The Last Picture Show," Peter Bogdanovich

> 3. 1974: This Italian-American director made the first sequel ever
> to win an Academy Award for Best Picture.

"The Godfather Part II," Francis Ford Coppola

> 4. 1973: Set in the world of small-time New-York hoodlums and
> gangsters was this director's first of many collaborations with
> Robert De Niro.

"Mean Streets," Martin Scorsese

> 5. 1975: At nearly 3 hours, this movie features a huge cast of
> 24 main characters. It's set in the South in the "capital of
> country music".

"Nashville," Robert Altman

> 6. 1974: A neo-film-noir mystery, nominated for 11 Academy Awards,
> was this director's last movie made in the US before he fled the
> country to avoid being imprisoned for unlawful sex with a minor.

"Chinatown," Roman Polanski

> 7. 1975: comedy-drama based on a Ken Kesey novel. This movie won
> all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Actor in Lead Role,
> Actress in Lead Role, Director and Screenplay). It was this
> Czech director's second movie made in the US.

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," Milos Forman

> 8. 1971: A gritty crime movie that, in the era of MPAA ratings,
> became the first R-rated movie to win the Academy Award for
> Best Picture. Two years later, the same person would direct
> one of the most famous horror movies of all time.

"The French Connection," William Friedkin

> 9. 1976: A political drama based on the 1974 non-fiction book of the
> same name by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, the two journalists
> investigating the Watergate scandal for the "Washington Post".

"All the President's Men," Alan J. Pakula

> 10. 1971: US science-fiction movie set in a dystopian future where
> the populace is controlled through android police and mandatory
> use of drugs that suppress emotions. This was the director's
> debut. He later founded a company using part of the same name,
> to assure high-quality audio in movie theaters.

"THX 1138," George Lucas

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana History - Dates in Canadian History.
>
> In case case, tell us what happened that day. Where applicable,
> be specific. There will be some leniency in scoring.

I was going to skip this round, but I figured I could attempt a few
questions.

> 3. 1967-04-27.

Expo 67 opens in Montreal

> 9. 1976-07-17.

Summer Olympics start in Montreal

> 10. 1995-10-30.

Liberals led by Chretien win general election while Kim Campbell's
Progressive Conservatives lose big

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Apr 29, 2019, 9:45:58 AM4/29/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Landmark 1970s American Cinema

> 2. 1971: Shot in black-and-white and set in a dying Texas town,
> this was the film debut of Cybill Shepherd, who the director
> had discovered; they went on to have an 8-year relationship.

The Last Picture Show by Peter Bogdanovich

> 3. 1974: This Italian-American director made the first sequel ever
> to win an Academy Award for Best Picture.

The Godfather Part II by Francis Ford Coppola

> 4. 1973: Set in the world of small-time New-York hoodlums and
> gangsters was this director's first of many collaborations with
> Robert De Niro.

Taxi Driver by Martin Scorsese

> 5. 1975: At nearly 3 hours, this movie features a huge cast of
> 24 main characters. It's set in the South in the "capital of
> country music".

Nashville by Robert Altman

> 6. 1974: A neo-film-noir mystery, nominated for 11 Academy Awards,
> was this director's last movie made in the US before he fled the
> country to avoid being imprisoned for unlawful sex with a minor.

Chinatown by Roman Polanski

> 10. 1971: US science-fiction movie set in a dystopian future where
> the populace is controlled through android police and mandatory
> use of drugs that suppress emotions. This was the director's
> debut. He later founded a company using part of the same name,
> to assure high-quality audio in movie theaters.

THX-1138 by George Lucas

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Apr 30, 2019, 3:22:37 PM4/30/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:TK2dnWmJJLZBD1vBnZ2dnUU7-
RPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-25,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Landmark 1970s American Cinema
>
> For each movie, you must name the title *and* the director.
>
> 1. 1974: The story of an acerbic 1960s comic whose groundbreaking,
> no-holds-barred style and social commentary was often deemed
> by the Establishment as too obscene for the public.

Lenny, Scorcese

> 2. 1971: Shot in black-and-white and set in a dying Texas town,
> this was the film debut of Cybill Shepherd, who the director
> had discovered; they went on to have an 8-year relationship.

Last Picture Show, Bogdanovich

> 3. 1974: This Italian-American director made the first sequel ever
> to win an Academy Award for Best Picture.

The Godfather Part 2, Coppola

> 4. 1973: Set in the world of small-time New-York hoodlums and
> gangsters was this director's first of many collaborations with
> Robert De Niro.

Once Upon a Time in America, Scorsese

> 5. 1975: At nearly 3 hours, this movie features a huge cast of
> 24 main characters. It's set in the South in the "capital of
> country music".

Nashville, Altman

> 6. 1974: A neo-film-noir mystery, nominated for 11 Academy Awards,
> was this director's last movie made in the US before he fled the
> country to avoid being imprisoned for unlawful sex with a minor.

Chinatown, Polansky

> 7. 1975: comedy-drama based on a Ken Kesey novel. This movie won
> all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Actor in Lead Role,
> Actress in Lead Role, Director and Screenplay). It was this
> Czech director's second movie made in the US.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chayefsky

> 8. 1971: A gritty crime movie that, in the era of MPAA ratings,
> became the first R-rated movie to win the Academy Award for
> Best Picture. Two years later, the same person would direct
> one of the most famous horror movies of all time.
>
> 9. 1976: A political drama based on the 1974 non-fiction book of the
> same name by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, the two journalists
> investigating the Watergate scandal for the "Washington Post".

All the President's Men, Chayefsky

> 10. 1971: US science-fiction movie set in a dystopian future where
> the populace is controlled through android police and mandatory
> use of drugs that suppress emotions. This was the director's
> debut. He later founded a company using part of the same name,
> to assure high-quality audio in movie theaters.

THX-1138, Lucas

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana History - Dates in Canadian History.
>
> In case case, tell us what happened that day. Where applicable,
> be specific. There will be some leniency in scoring.
>
> 1. 1982-03-29.
> 2. 1885-11-07.
> 3. 1967-04-27.
> 4. 1919-05-15.
> 5. 1917-04-09.
> 6. 1988-09-22.
> 7. 1970-10-16.
> 8. 1972-09-28.

Paul Henderson scored THE goal to beat the Russians

> 9. 1976-07-17.
> 10. 1995-10-30.

Pete Gayde

Calvin

May 1, 2019, 12:34:50 AM5/1/19
On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 4:00:02 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Landmark 1970s American Cinema
>
> For each movie, you must name the title *and* the director.
>
> 1. 1974: The story of an acerbic 1960s comic whose groundbreaking,
> no-holds-barred style and social commentary was often deemed
> by the Establishment as too obscene for the public.
>
> 2. 1971: Shot in black-and-white and set in a dying Texas town,
> this was the film debut of Cybill Shepherd, who the director
> had discovered; they went on to have an 8-year relationship.
>
> 3. 1974: This Italian-American director made the first sequel ever
> to win an Academy Award for Best Picture.

Godfather Part II, Coppola

> 4. 1973: Set in the world of small-time New-York hoodlums and
> gangsters was this director's first of many collaborations with
> Robert De Niro.

Taxi Driver, Scorsese

> 5. 1975: At nearly 3 hours, this movie features a huge cast of
> 24 main characters. It's set in the South in the "capital of
> country music".

Nashville, Altman

> 6. 1974: A neo-film-noir mystery, nominated for 11 Academy Awards,
> was this director's last movie made in the US before he fled the
> country to avoid being imprisoned for unlawful sex with a minor.

Polanski, dunno about the film.

> 7. 1975: comedy-drama based on a Ken Kesey novel. This movie won
> all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Actor in Lead Role,
> Actress in Lead Role, Director and Screenplay). It was this
> Czech director's second movie made in the US.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Foreman

> 8. 1971: A gritty crime movie that, in the era of MPAA ratings,
> became the first R-rated movie to win the Academy Award for
> Best Picture. Two years later, the same person would direct
> one of the most famous horror movies of all time.

Midnight Cowboy, dunno

> 9. 1976: A political drama based on the 1974 non-fiction book of the
> same name by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, the two journalists
> investigating the Watergate scandal for the "Washington Post".

All the President's Men, dunno

> 10. 1971: US science-fiction movie set in a dystopian future where
> the populace is controlled through android police and mandatory
> use of drugs that suppress emotions. This was the director's
> debut. He later founded a company using part of the same name,
> to assure high-quality audio in movie theaters.

Nope

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana History - Dates in Canadian History.

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 2, 2019, 1:33:18 AM5/2/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-25,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Landmark 1970s American Cinema

> For each movie, you must name the title *and* the director.

> 1. 1974: The story of an acerbic 1960s comic whose groundbreaking,
> no-holds-barred style and social commentary was often deemed
> by the Establishment as too obscene for the public.

"Lenny", Bob Fosse. 4 for Joshua.

> 2. 1971: Shot in black-and-white and set in a dying Texas town,
> this was the film debut of Cybill Shepherd, who the director
> had discovered; they went on to have an 8-year relationship.

"The Last Picture Show", Peter Bogdanovich. 4 for Joshua, Dan,
and Pete.

> 3. 1974: This Italian-American director made the first sequel ever
> to win an Academy Award for Best Picture.

"The Godfather Part 2", Francis Ford Coppola. 4 for everyone --
Joshua, Dan, Pete, and Calvin.

> 4. 1973: Set in the world of small-time New-York hoodlums and
> gangsters was this director's first of many collaborations with
> Robert De Niro.

"Mean Streets", Martin Scorsese. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. 1975: At nearly 3 hours, this movie features a huge cast of
> 24 main characters. It's set in the South in the "capital of
> country music".

"Nashville", Robert Altman. 4 for everyone.

> 6. 1974: A neo-film-noir mystery, nominated for 11 Academy Awards,
> was this director's last movie made in the US before he fled the
> country to avoid being imprisoned for unlawful sex with a minor.

"Chinatown", Roman Polanski. 4 for Joshua, Dan, and Pete.

> 7. 1975: comedy-drama based on a Ken Kesey novel. This movie won
> all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Actor in Lead Role,
> Actress in Lead Role, Director and Screenplay). It was this
> Czech director's second movie made in the US.

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", Milos Forman. 4 for Joshua
and Calvin.

> 8. 1971: A gritty crime movie that, in the era of MPAA ratings,
> became the first R-rated movie to win the Academy Award for
> Best Picture. Two years later, the same person would direct
> one of the most famous horror movies of all time.

"The French Connection", William Friedkin. ("The Exorcist".)
4 for Joshua.

> 9. 1976: A political drama based on the 1974 non-fiction book of the
> same name by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, the two journalists
> investigating the Watergate scandal for the "Washington Post".

"All the President's Men", Alan J. Pakula. 4 for Joshua.

> 10. 1971: US science-fiction movie set in a dystopian future where
> the populace is controlled through android police and mandatory
> use of drugs that suppress emotions. This was the director's
> debut. He later founded a company using part of the same name,
> to assure high-quality audio in movie theaters.

"THX 1138", George Lucas. 4 for Joshua, Dan, and Pete.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana History - Dates in Canadian History.

> In case case, tell us what happened that day. Where applicable,
> be specific. There will be some leniency in scoring.

Yes, this was the second round *this season* on the same topic -- and
it included questions on three of the same events as the first one.
As you will remember from my posting on 2019-01-13, that round was
a bit easier, with some information other than the bare dates given.

> 1. 1982-03-29.

Patriation of the constitution.

> 2. 1885-11-07.

Last spike driven in the Canadian Pacific Railway. (See specially
selected non-random signature quote.)

> 3. 1967-04-27.

Opening of the Montreal world's fair, Expo 67. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. 1919-05-15.

Winnipeg General Strike begins. (Accepting any reference to the
strike as long as Winnipeg is mentioned.)

In the original game the date given was 1919-05-26 and the expected
answer was just the strike. As far as I can tell, that was not the
date of any important event during the strike.

> 5. 1917-04-09.

Battle of Vimy Ridge begins.

> 6. 1988-09-22.

Prime Minister Mulroney issues an apology, and announces compensation,
for the internment of Japanese-Canadians during World War II.

> 7. 1970-10-16.

Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau imposes the War Measures Act during
the October Crisis.

> 8. 1972-09-28.

End of the hockey "summit series" between Team Canada and the USSR.
4 for Pete.

> 9. 1976-07-17.

Opening of the Montreal Olympics, the first hosted in Canada.
4 for Joshua.

> 10. 1995-10-30.

Quebec holds its second referendum calling for independence.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Geo Sci Spo Ent Can FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 32 40 16 20 40 8 132
"Calvin" 24 27 8 28 12 0 91
Pete Gayde 0 16 8 32 20 4 76
Dan Blum 15 18 20 7 20 0 73
Erland Sommarskog 0 32 3 36 -- -- 71

--
Mark Brader "All I can say is that the work
Toronto has been done well in every way."

Calvin

May 2, 2019, 7:18:29 PM5/2/19
On Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 3:33:18 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> > 8. 1971: A gritty crime movie that, in the era of MPAA ratings,
> > became the first R-rated movie to win the Academy Award for
> > Best Picture. Two years later, the same person would direct
> > one of the most famous horror movies of all time.
>
> "The French Connection", William Friedkin. ("The Exorcist".)

I answered Midnight Cowboy (which is clearly wrong so not a protest) but FWIW it had its classification changed post-release.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064665/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

The film was rated "X" (no one under 17 admitted) upon its original release in 1969, but the unrestricted use of that rating by pornographic filmmakers caused the rating to quickly become associated with hardcore sex films. Because of the stigma that developed around the "X" rating in the ratings system's early years, many theaters refused to run X-rated films, and many newspapers would not run ads for them. The film was given a new R-rating (children under 17 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian) rating in 1971, without having anything changed or removed. It remains the only X-rated film to win the Oscar for Best Picture.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 2, 2019, 8:28:56 PM5/2/19
Mark Brader:
> > > 8. 1971: A gritty crime movie that, in the era of MPAA ratings,
> > > became the first R-rated movie to win the Academy Award for
> > > Best Picture. Two years later, the same person would direct
> > > one of the most famous horror movies of all time.
> >
> > "The French Connection", William Friedkin. ("The Exorcist".)

"Calvin":
> I answered Midnight Cowboy (which is clearly wrong so not a protest)

And you also failed to name its director, John Schlesinger.

> but FWIW it had its classification changed post-release.

So it did.

> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064665/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv
>
> The film was rated "X" ... upon its original release in 1969,
> but the unrestricted use of that rating by pornographic filmmakers
> caused the rating to quickly become associated with hardcore sex
> films. ... The film was given a new R-rating ... in 1971, without
> having anything changed or removed. It remains the only X-rated film
> to win the Oscar for Best Picture.

And therefore it wasn't the first R-rated movie to win; it was only
made R-rated *after* it won.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Ask not for whom the compiler waits;
m...@vex.net | it waits for thee." -- Henry Spencer