Calvin's Quiz #462

Calvin

Oct 20, 2016, 8:13:02 PM10/20/16

1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on the southside?
2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme for the film "Apocalypse Now"?
3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive strikes?
4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?
5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?
6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 – 1939) produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?
7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967 Disney animated film?
8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump initially made his fortune in which field of business?
9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?
10 The George Cross is awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is awarded "For Valour"?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Oct 21, 2016, 12:35:28 AM10/21/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on the southside?

Chicago White Sox

> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme for the film "Apocalypse Now"?

Ride of the Valkeries

> 3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive strikes?

strike out (that's probably wrong, but it's been too many years since I
bowled, so I've forgotten the right term)

> 4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?

Detroit, Michigan

> 5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?
> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 – 1939) produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?

Fokker

> 7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967 Disney animated film?

Beauty and the Beast ??

> 8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump initially made his fortune in which field of business?

real estate development

> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?

Oslo, Norway

> 10 The George Cross is awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is awarded "For Valour"?

Victoria Cross

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2016, 1:46:53 AM10/21/16
"Calvin":
> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by
> those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on
> the southside?

Chicago Cubs.

> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme
> for the film "Apocalypse Now"?

"Ride of the Valkyries".

> 3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive strikes?

Turkey.

> 4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?

Detroit.

> 5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?
> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 --
> 1939) produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?

Fokker.

> 7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967 Disney animated
> film?
> 8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump
> initially made his fortune in which field of business?

Real estate.

> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or
> Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?

Oslo.

> 10 The George Cross is awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is
> awarded "For Valour"?

Victoria Cross.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Let me know if that is a convincing argument.
m...@vex.net | If it is, I'll try it on myself. --Maria Conlon

Gareth Owen

Oct 21, 2016, 1:55:12 AM10/21/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those
> living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on the
> southside?

The White Sox

> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme for
> the film "Apocalypse Now"?

Hmmm, I'd argue about "theme" (it opens and closes with "The End" by the
Doors) but during the helicopter assault sequence they play "Ride Of The
Valkyries" through loudspeakers.

> 3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive strikes?

Turkey

> 4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?

Detroit

> 5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?

Guns and Roses

> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 – 1939)
> produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?

Fokker?

> 7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967 Disney animated
> film?

The Jungle Book

> 8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump initially
> made his fortune in which field of business?

Loans and gifts from his father. Oh, ok racist Real Estate developments

> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or Kristiania)
> between 1624 and 1925?

Copenhagen?

> 10 The George Cross is awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is awarded
> "For Valour"?

Victoria Cross

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 21, 2016, 3:27:03 AM10/21/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by
> those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on the
> southside?

There has been a lot of talk about Chiacago Cubs lately, so I go with
them rather than my standard answer Green Bay Packers.

> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme for
> the film "Apocalypse Now"?

The overture to Aida.

> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 – 1939)
> produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?

Fokker

> 8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump
> initially made his fortune in which field of business?

Real estate

> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or
> Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?

Oslo

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 21, 2016, 11:01:43 AM10/21/16
In article <413ade97-c737-42ec...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on the southside?
Cubs

> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme for the film "Apocalypse Now"?
Ride of the Valkyries

> 3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive strikes?
> 4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?
Detroit

> 5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?
> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 ? 1939) produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?
Fokker

> 7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967 Disney animated film?
Jungle Book

> 8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump initially made his fortune in which field of business?
inheritance, but you are looking for "real estate development".

> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?
Oslo

> 10 The George Cross is awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is awarded "For Valour"?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Peter Smyth

Oct 21, 2016, 11:24:30 AM10/21/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by
> those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on
> the southside?
Chicago Cubs
> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme for
> the film "Apocalypse Now"?
Ride of the Valkyries
> 3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive strikes?
Turkey
> 4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?
Detroit
> 5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?
Guns and Roses
> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 – 1939)
> produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?
Messerschmidt
> 7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967 Disney animated
> film?
Jungle Book
> 8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump initially
> made his fortune in which field of business?
Property
> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or
> Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?
Budapest
> 10 The George Cross is awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is
> awarded "For Valour"?
Victoria Cross

Peter Smyth

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 21, 2016, 3:08:02 PM10/21/16
On 2016-10-21, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on the southside?

Cubs

> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme for the film "Apocalypse Now"?

"The Ride of the Valkyries"

> 3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive strikes?

Grand slam

> 4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?

Detroit

> 5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?
> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 ??? 1939) produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?

Fokker

> 7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967 Disney animated film?

"Song of the South"

> 8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump initially made his fortune in which field of business?

Hotels

> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?

Oslo

> 10 The George Cross is awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is awarded "For Valour"?

Victoria Cross

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Pete

Oct 21, 2016, 5:46:05 PM10/21/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by
> those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on the
> southside?

Cubs

> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was
> the theme for the film "Apocalypse Now"?

Ride of the Valkyries

> 3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive
strikes?

Turkey

> 4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?

Detroit

> 5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?

Soundgarden

> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which
> Dutchman (1890 – 1939) produced several fighter aircraft for Germany
> during WWI?

Fokker

> 7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967
> Disney animated film?

Jungle Book

> 8 Though he now has a wide range of
> interests, Donald Trump initially made his fortune in which field of
> business?

Real Estate

> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania
> (or Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?

Oslo

> 10 The George Cross is
> awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is awarded "For Valour"?

Victoria Cross

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

swp

Oct 21, 2016, 8:38:57 PM10/21/16
On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 8:13:02 PM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on the southside?

Chicago Cubs

> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme for the film "Apocalypse Now"?

the ride of the valkyries

> 3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive strikes?

turkey

> 4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?

detroit

> 5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?

guns n roses

> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 – 1939) produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?

fokker

> 7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967 Disney animated film?

the jungle book

> 8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump initially made his fortune in which field of business?

real estate

> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?

oslo

> 10 The George Cross is awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is awarded "For Valour"?

victoria cross

swp

Calvin

Oct 27, 2016, 11:44:20 PM10/27/16
On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 10:13:02 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Major League Baseball team is traditionally supported by those living on the northside of Chicago, and detested by those on the southside?

Cubs

> 2 Which specific piece of music by Richard Wagner was the theme for the film "Apocalypse Now"?

Ride of the Valkyries

> 3 In ten pin bowling, which term denotes three consecutive strikes?

Turkey

> 4 Which American city is home to the NFL's Lions?

Detroit

> 5 Which rock band had a 1992 hit with "November Rain"?

Guns N Roses

> 6 Despite the Netherland's neutrality, which Dutchman (1890 – 1939) produced several fighter aircraft for Germany during WWI?

Anthony Fokker

> 7 "The Bare Necessities" is a song from which 1967 Disney animated film?

The Jungle Book

> 8 Though he now has a wide range of interests, Donald Trump initially made his fortune in which field of business?

Real Estate / Property
Though it's hard to disagree with those who suggested inheritance :-)

> 9 Which European capital city was known as Christiania (or Kristiania) between 1624 and 1925?

Oslo

> 10 The George Cross is awarded "For Gallantry". Which cross is awarded "For Valour"?

Victoria Cross

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 462
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 66 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 9 59 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 63 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 8 51 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 8 58 Mark Brader
1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 6 44 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 6 46 Chris Johnson
0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 6 45 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 4 30 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
8 8 5 8 3 8 5 7 7 7 66 73%

Congratulations Stephen.

I'm heading off to the Quiz Olympiad so CQ463 won't appear for 2-3 weeks.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 28, 2016, 12:55:24 AM10/28/16
"Calvin":
> I'm heading off to the Quiz Olympiad so CQ463 won't appear for 2-3 weeks.

Rotsa ruck, mate!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "No victor believes in chance."
m...@vex.net -- Nietzsche (trans. Kaufmann)

Calvin

Oct 30, 2016, 9:10:21 PM10/30/16
On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 2:55:24 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > I'm heading off to the Quiz Olympiad so CQ463 won't appear for 2-3 weeks.
>
> Rotsa ruck, mate!

Thanks. It should be challenging experience :-)

cheers,
calvin