QFTCIMM16 Current Events 7-8

Mark Brader

Nov 15, 2016, 12:02:30 AM11/15/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days [from the original posting,
that is].

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7 (2016-11-07), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Who was named MVP of the 2016 World Series?

2. Ontario's education minister announced this week she will meet
with which GTA school board to address questions of systemic
racism?

3. Prince Harry, the world's most eligible ginger, was spotted in
Toronto, apparently to visit his new girlfriend. Name the
actress in question, currently filming in our fair city.

4. Finance minister Bill Morneau announced the government's
intention to attract money from large institutional investors.
What new financial structure is to be created to facilitate this?
(Give its name.)

5. Name either of the Ontario Liberal party insiders charged this
week in relation to the 2015 Sudbury by-election scandal.

6. An Ontario baseball club has changed its name after 60 years.
The team in Alvinston has ditched which name now termed
offensive?

7. You've seen the new ads on the TTC that show National Ballet
of Canada dancers posing on subway trains, stations, etc.
Which organization has raised objections to the ads? (Name or
describe it.)

8. Which 20-year-old Brampton singer, with a gold record and a
number of charted singles, headlined her own show at Massey
Hall last Wednesday?

9. Swedish fashion company H+M has named which Canadian pop
sensation its new brand ambassador?

10. Which pop superstar made a surprise appearance at the Country
Music Awards last week, including singing together with the
Dixie Chicks?

* Game 8 (2016-11-14), Round 1 - Canadiana Current Events

1. Who scored 3 goals for Toronto FC, sending them to the Major
League Soccer semifinals for the first time?

2. On Tuesday night in Pittsburgh, it wasn't "Sid the Kid" --
it was "Sid vs. the Kid", as two "generational stars" of hockey
faced off against each other for the first time. Who is the
new kid on the block?

3. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit paid a 4-day
visit to Canada last week. On behalf of which nation?

4. Air Canada first advanced, then backed off from, a controversial
ban last week. What did the airline, for a while, tell its
flight attendants they could not wear?

5. At least Air Canada was prompt with their "mea culpa". Which
Canadian institution waited 25 years before apologizing last
week for a 1989 exhibition which it now acknowledges "contributed
to anti-African racism"?

6. Last week in Vancouver, Prime Minister Trudeau announced a
$1,500,000,000 plan to protect Canada's coasts from what?

7. The Liberals vault from third-party status to majority
government! Sound familiar? It happened last week -- in which
Canadian jurisdiction?

8. Which Canadian ministry's web site crashed on Tuesday night
due to unusual volume?

9. In an interview with the "New Yorker" last month, prior to the
release of his latest album, this man said: "I am ready to die.
I hope it's not too uncomfortable. That's about it for me."
Who was speaking?

10. Last Wednesday at 10:30 pm saw the Comedy Network premiere of
Canada's newest satirical half-hour "news" series. Give the
title.

--
Mark Brader | "Nitwit ideas are for emergencies. The rest of the
Toronto | time you go by the Book, which is mostly a collection

Dan Tilque

Nov 15, 2016, 2:24:08 AM11/15/16
Norway

> 4. Air Canada first advanced, then backed off from, a controversial
> ban last week. What did the airline, for a while, tell its
> flight attendants they could not wear?
>
> 5. At least Air Canada was prompt with their "mea culpa". Which
> Canadian institution waited 25 years before apologizing last
> week for a 1989 exhibition which it now acknowledges "contributed
> to anti-African racism"?
>
> 6. Last week in Vancouver, Prime Minister Trudeau announced a
> $1,500,000,000 plan to protect Canada's coasts from what?

sea level rise

> 7. The Liberals vault from third-party status to majority
> government! Sound familiar? It happened last week -- in which
> Canadian jurisdiction?
>
> 8. Which Canadian ministry's web site crashed on Tuesday night
> due to unusual volume?

whichever one handles immigration

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 15, 2016, 2:41:17 AM11/15/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8 (2016-11-14), Round 1 - Canadiana Current Events
>
> 1. Who scored 3 goals for Toronto FC, sending them to the Major
> League Soccer semifinals for the first time?

Don't know the answer, but congratulations!

> 3. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit paid a 4-day
> visit to Canada last week. On behalf of which nation?

Norway

> 4. Air Canada first advanced, then backed off from, a controversial
> ban last week. What did the airline, for a while, tell its
> flight attendants they could not wear?

Perfume

> 7. The Liberals vault from third-party status to majority
> government! Sound familiar? It happened last week -- in which
> Canadian jurisdiction?

Nunavut

> 8. Which Canadian ministry's web site crashed on Tuesday night
> due to unusual volume?

Immigration

> 9. In an interview with the "New Yorker" last month, prior to the
> release of his latest album, this man said: "I am ready to die.
> I hope it's not too uncomfortable. That's about it for me."
> Who was speaking?

Leonard Cohen

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 15, 2016, 9:39:47 AM11/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nZ6dnS1DusJ9C7fFnZ2dnUU7-
InN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 7 (2016-11-07), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Prince Harry, the world's most eligible ginger, was spotted in
> Toronto, apparently to visit his new girlfriend. Name the
> actress in question, currently filming in our fair city.

Meghan Markle

> * Game 8 (2016-11-14), Round 1 - Canadiana Current Events
>
> 3. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit paid a 4-day
> visit to Canada last week. On behalf of which nation?

Norway

> 6. Last week in Vancouver, Prime Minister Trudeau announced a
> $1,500,000,000 plan to protect Canada's coasts from what?

global warming (?)

> 7. The Liberals vault from third-party status to majority
> government! Sound familiar? It happened last week -- in which
> Canadian jurisdiction?

British Columbia; Manitoba

> 8. Which Canadian ministry's web site crashed on Tuesday night
> due to unusual volume?

Ministry of Immigration

> 9. In an interview with the "New Yorker" last month, prior to the
> release of his latest album, this man said: "I am ready to die.
> I hope it's not too uncomfortable. That's about it for me."
> Who was speaking?

Leonard Cohen (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Nov 15, 2016, 10:12:02 AM11/15/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7 (2016-11-07), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Ontario's education minister announced this week she will meet
> with which GTA school board to address questions of systemic
> racism?

Kitchener

> 6. An Ontario baseball club has changed its name after 60 years.
> The team in Alvinston has ditched which name now termed
> offensive?

Indians; Redskins

> * Game 8 (2016-11-14), Round 1 - Canadiana Current Events

> 3. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit paid a 4-day
> visit to Canada last week. On behalf of which nation?

Norway

> 4. Air Canada first advanced, then backed off from, a controversial
> ban last week. What did the airline, for a while, tell its
> flight attendants they could not wear?

head coverings

> 6. Last week in Vancouver, Prime Minister Trudeau announced a
> $1,500,000,000 plan to protect Canada's coasts from what?

flooding; Americans

> 8. Which Canadian ministry's web site crashed on Tuesday night
> due to unusual volume?

Immigration

> 9. In an interview with the "New Yorker" last month, prior to the
> release of his latest album, this man said: "I am ready to die.
> I hope it's not too uncomfortable. That's about it for me."
> Who was speaking?

Leonard Cohen

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Nov 15, 2016, 11:42:00 AM11/15/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7 (2016-11-07), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Who was named MVP of the 2016 World Series?
>
> 2. Ontario's education minister announced this week she will meet
> with which GTA school board to address questions of systemic
> racism?
Liberty City, Vice City
> 3. Prince Harry, the world's most eligible ginger, was spotted in
> Toronto, apparently to visit his new girlfriend. Name the
> actress in question, currently filming in our fair city.
Megan Matthews?
> 4. Finance minister Bill Morneau announced the government's
> intention to attract money from large institutional investors.
> What new financial structure is to be created to facilitate this?
> (Give its name.)
>
> 5. Name either of the Ontario Liberal party insiders charged this
> week in relation to the 2015 Sudbury by-election scandal.
>
> 6. An Ontario baseball club has changed its name after 60 years.
> The team in Alvinston has ditched which name now termed
> offensive?
Redskins, Indians
> 7. You've seen the new ads on the TTC that show National Ballet
> of Canada dancers posing on subway trains, stations, etc.
> Which organization has raised objections to the ads? (Name or
> describe it.)
>
> 8. Which 20-year-old Brampton singer, with a gold record and a
> number of charted singles, headlined her own show at Massey
> Hall last Wednesday?
>
> 9. Swedish fashion company H+M has named which Canadian pop
> sensation its new brand ambassador?
Justin Bieber
> 10. Which pop superstar made a surprise appearance at the Country
> Music Awards last week, including singing together with the
> Dixie Chicks?
>

> * Game 8 (2016-11-14), Round 1 - Canadiana Current Events
>
> 1. Who scored 3 goals for Toronto FC, sending them to the Major
> League Soccer semifinals for the first time?
>
> 2. On Tuesday night in Pittsburgh, it wasn't "Sid the Kid" --
> it was "Sid vs. the Kid", as two "generational stars" of hockey
> faced off against each other for the first time. Who is the
> new kid on the block?
>
> 3. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit paid a 4-day
> visit to Canada last week. On behalf of which nation?
Norway
> 4. Air Canada first advanced, then backed off from, a controversial
> ban last week. What did the airline, for a while, tell its
> flight attendants they could not wear?

> 5. At least Air Canada was prompt with their "mea culpa". Which
> Canadian institution waited 25 years before apologizing last
> week for a 1989 exhibition which it now acknowledges "contributed
> to anti-African racism"?
>
> 6. Last week in Vancouver, Prime Minister Trudeau announced a
> $1,500,000,000 plan to protect Canada's coasts from what?
Erosion
> 7. The Liberals vault from third-party status to majority
> government! Sound familiar? It happened last week -- in which
> Canadian jurisdiction?
Manitoba, Nova Scotia
> 8. Which Canadian ministry's web site crashed on Tuesday night
> due to unusual volume?
Immigration
> 9. In an interview with the "New Yorker" last month, prior to the
> release of his latest album, this man said: "I am ready to die.
> I hope it's not too uncomfortable. That's about it for me."
> Who was speaking?
Leonard Cohen
> 10. Last Wednesday at 10:30 pm saw the Comedy Network premiere of
> Canada's newest satirical half-hour "news" series. Give the
> title.

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 15, 2016, 1:43:35 PM11/15/16
In article <nZ6dnS1DusJ9C7fF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
Bieber

> 10. Which pop superstar made a surprise appearance at the Country
> Music Awards last week, including singing together with the
> Dixie Chicks?
Beyonce

> * Game 8 (2016-11-14), Round 1 - Canadiana Current Events
>
> 1. Who scored 3 goals for Toronto FC, sending them to the Major
> League Soccer semifinals for the first time?
>
> 2. On Tuesday night in Pittsburgh, it wasn't "Sid the Kid" --
> it was "Sid vs. the Kid", as two "generational stars" of hockey
> faced off against each other for the first time. Who is the
> new kid on the block?
>
> 3. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit paid a 4-day
> visit to Canada last week. On behalf of which nation?
Norway

> 4. Air Canada first advanced, then backed off from, a controversial
> ban last week. What did the airline, for a while, tell its
> flight attendants they could not wear?
>
> 5. At least Air Canada was prompt with their "mea culpa". Which
> Canadian institution waited 25 years before apologizing last
> week for a 1989 exhibition which it now acknowledges "contributed
> to anti-African racism"?
>
> 6. Last week in Vancouver, Prime Minister Trudeau announced a
> $1,500,000,000 plan to protect Canada's coasts from what?
>
> 7. The Liberals vault from third-party status to majority
> government! Sound familiar? It happened last week -- in which
> Canadian jurisdiction?
>
> 8. Which Canadian ministry's web site crashed on Tuesday night
> due to unusual volume?
Immigration

> 9. In an interview with the "New Yorker" last month, prior to the
> release of his latest album, this man said: "I am ready to die.
> I hope it's not too uncomfortable. That's about it for me."
> Who was speaking?
Leonard Cohen RIP

> 10. Last Wednesday at 10:30 pm saw the Comedy Network premiere of
> Canada's newest satirical half-hour "news" series. Give the
> title.

Pete

Nov 15, 2016, 3:11:19 PM11/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nZ6dnS1DusJ9C7fFnZ2dnUU7-
InN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days [from the original posting,
> that is].
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7 (2016-11-07), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Who was named MVP of the 2016 World Series?

Zobrist
Beyonce

> * Game 8 (2016-11-14), Round 1 - Canadiana Current Events
>
> 1. Who scored 3 goals for Toronto FC, sending them to the Major
> League Soccer semifinals for the first time?

Altidore

> 2. On Tuesday night in Pittsburgh, it wasn't "Sid the Kid" --
> it was "Sid vs. the Kid", as two "generational stars" of hockey
> faced off against each other for the first time. Who is the
> new kid on the block?
>
> 3. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit paid a 4-day
> visit to Canada last week. On behalf of which nation?

Norway; Sweden

> 4. Air Canada first advanced, then backed off from, a controversial
> ban last week. What did the airline, for a while, tell its
> flight attendants they could not wear?

Hijab

> 5. At least Air Canada was prompt with their "mea culpa". Which
> Canadian institution waited 25 years before apologizing last
> week for a 1989 exhibition which it now acknowledges "contributed
> to anti-African racism"?
>
> 6. Last week in Vancouver, Prime Minister Trudeau announced a
> $1,500,000,000 plan to protect Canada's coasts from what?

Rising seas

> 7. The Liberals vault from third-party status to majority
> government! Sound familiar? It happened last week -- in which
> Canadian jurisdiction?
>
> 8. Which Canadian ministry's web site crashed on Tuesday night
> due to unusual volume?
>
> 9. In an interview with the "New Yorker" last month, prior to the
> release of his latest album, this man said: "I am ready to die.
> I hope it's not too uncomfortable. That's about it for me."
> Who was speaking?

Leonard Cohen

> 10. Last Wednesday at 10:30 pm saw the Comedy Network premiere of
> Canada's newest satirical half-hour "news" series. Give the
> title.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Nov 18, 2016, 9:14:41 AM11/18/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the
> dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still
> expected to give the answers that were correct on that date...
> For further information see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7 (2016-11-07), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Who was named MVP of the 2016 World Series?

Ben Zobrist. 4 for Pete.

> 2. Ontario's education minister announced this week she will meet
> with which GTA school board to address questions of systemic
> racism?

York.

> 3. Prince Harry, the world's most eligible ginger, was spotted in
> Toronto, apparently to visit his new girlfriend. Name the
> actress in question, currently filming in our fair city.

Meghan Markle. (She's in the cable TV drama "Suits".) 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Finance minister Bill Morneau announced the government's
> intention to attract money from large institutional investors.
> What new financial structure is to be created to facilitate this?
> (Give its name.)

Canada Infrastructure Bank.

> 5. Name either of the Ontario Liberal party insiders charged this
> week in relation to the 2015 Sudbury by-election scandal.

Gerry Lougheed, Patricia Sorbara.

> 6. An Ontario baseball club has changed its name after 60 years.
> The team in Alvinston has ditched which name now termed
> offensive?

Indians. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Peter.

> 7. You've seen the new ads on the TTC that show National Ballet
> of Canada dancers posing on subway trains, stations, etc.
> Which organization has raised objections to the ads? (Name or
> describe it.)

Body Confidence Canada.

I took the liberty of reversing the question and answer on this one.
In the original game, players were asked to identify the organization
whose members appeared. I thought it was more fun to ask who would
be objecting to ads like that.

> 8. Which 20-year-old Brampton singer, with a gold record and a
> number of charted singles, headlined her own show at Massey
> Hall last Wednesday?

Alessia Cara.

> 9. Swedish fashion company H+M has named which Canadian pop
> sensation its new brand ambassador?

The Weeknd ["Weekend"].

> 10. Which pop superstar made a surprise appearance at the Country
> Music Awards last week, including singing together with the
> Dixie Chicks?

Beyoncé. 4 for Marc and Pete.

> * Game 8 (2016-11-14), Round 1 - Canadiana Current Events

Despite this round being Canadiana, people in the newsgroup did
better on it than on the previous one.

> 1. Who scored 3 goals for Toronto FC, sending them to the Major
> League Soccer semifinals for the first time?

Sebastian Giovinco ["Joe-VIN-ko"].

> 2. On Tuesday night in Pittsburgh, it wasn't "Sid the Kid" --
> it was "Sid vs. the Kid", as two "generational stars" of hockey
> faced off against each other for the first time. Who is the
> new kid on the block?

Connor McDavid.

> 3. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit paid a 4-day
> visit to Canada last week. On behalf of which nation?

Norway. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, and Marc.
3 for Pete.

> 4. Air Canada first advanced, then backed off from, a controversial
> ban last week. What did the airline, for a while, tell its
> flight attendants they could not wear?

Remembrance Day poppies.

> 5. At least Air Canada was prompt with their "mea culpa". Which
> Canadian institution waited 25 years before apologizing last
> week for a 1989 exhibition which it now acknowledges "contributed
> to anti-African racism"?

Royal Ontario Museum. (ROM was sufficient.)

> 6. Last week in Vancouver, Prime Minister Trudeau announced a
> $1,500,000,000 plan to protect Canada's coasts from what?

Oil spills.

> 7. The Liberals vault from third-party status to majority
> government! Sound familiar? It happened last week -- in which
> Canadian jurisdiction?

Yukon.

> 8. Which Canadian ministry's web site crashed on Tuesday night
> due to unusual volume?

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, and Marc.

> 9. In an interview with the "New Yorker" last month, prior to the
> release of his latest album, this man said: "I am ready to die.
> I hope it's not too uncomfortable. That's about it for me."
> Who was speaking?

Leonard Cohen (who did die, a week before this game was played).
4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, and Pete.

> 10. Last Wednesday at 10:30 pm saw the Comedy Network premiere of
> Canada's newest satirical half-hour "news" series. Give the
> title.

"The Beaverton".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST SIX
Pete Gayde 4 12 19 27 0 20 8 7 93
Joshua Kreitzer 4 8 20 18 12 20 4 12 90
Peter Smyth 8 4 16 14 8 24 2 12 82
Dan Tilque 4 8 12 16 12 20 0 8 76
Dan Blum 7 8 12 19 10 13 3 12 74
Stephen Perry 32 34 -- -- -- -- -- -- 66
Marc Dashevsky 4 8 12 15 12 0 4 12 63
Erland Sommarskog 4 4 4 12 4 12 0 12 48
Bruce Bowler -- -- 20 20 -- -- -- -- 40

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Thus, "plain english" is the same as
m...@vex.net | "near-field spin". --Carl Ginnow

Dan Tilque

Nov 18, 2016, 10:25:26 PM11/18/16
Mark Brader wrote:

>> 10. Last Wednesday at 10:30 pm saw the Comedy Network premiere of
>> Canada's newest satirical half-hour "news" series. Give the
>> title.
>
> "The Beaverton".

They named the show after a certain suburb[1] of Portland?[2,3] I'm
gobsmacked!

[1] With a less than sterling reputation.

[2] Which one of the participants here lives near, but that's beside the
point.

[3] Portlandia was already taken, so I guess they had to make do.[4]

[4] When they get down to naming one after Aloha[5], you'll know they
hit rock-bottom.

[5] An even less salubrious Portland suburb.[6]

[6] Are there enough footnotes in this post yet?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 19, 2016, 5:23:22 AM11/19/16
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> [6] Are there enough footnotes in this post yet?

[7] No.