QFTCIMM16 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: Phoenician-athlons

Mark Brader

Feb 11, 2017, 3:13:12 AM2/11/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire

The Mediterranean trading empire of the Phoenicians once extended
from the Levant to the Pillars of Hercules. Many contemporary
European cities were once Phoenician colonies.

1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
In what modern-day country is Byblos located?

2. The power of Byblos waned with the rise of this southern Lebanese
city, whose most famous trading product was an eponymous royal
purple dye. Name the city.

3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.

4. Leptis Magna was a Phoenician settlement under the dominion of
<answer 3> until the Roman conquest, after which it flourished
as a quasi-independent city. Today, its ruins are considered
among the most spectacular of the ancient Mediterranean.
In what modern-day country is Leptis Magna located?

5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?

6. Founded by settlers from <answer 3>, Tingi has passed from hand
to hand ever since, falling successively to the Romans,
the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Umayyad Caliphate.
The Portuguese occupied it in 1471, only to give it in 1662 to
the English, who held it till 1684. By what name do we know
Tingi today?

7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
Italian island?

8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
Phoenician port named Ibossim?

9. Founded as Gadir by Phoenicians from <answer 2>, this Spanish
city, lying on a spit on the Atlantic coast, is considered the
oldest Phoenician settlement still standing in Western Europe.
Name it.

10. The Phoenicians maintained one of their most far-flung trading
posts in this present-day European capital from as early as
1200 BC. The trading post stood by the river estuary, near the
foot of the slope below the castle hill and the Sé Cathedral.
Name the city.

* Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons

All questions relate to so-called combined events or to the athletes
that excel at them.

1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?

After answering question #1, please decode the rot13 for the
remaining questions.

2. Sbhe bs gur fxvyyf grfgrq va gur zbqrea cragnguyba ner
cvfgby-fubbgvat, pebff-pbhagel ehaavat, fjvzzvat, naq fubj
whzcvat. Anzr gur svsgu.

3. Gur svefg yrt bs na Bylzcvp gevnguyba pbafvfgf bs qbvat jung
sbe 1.5 xz?

4. Gur svefg Bylzcvp gevnguybaf jrer uryq va 2000. Anzr gur jvaare
bs gur zra'f rirag gung lrne.

5. Jub jba n ovnguyba oebamr ng gur Nyoregivyyr Bylzcvpf naq gjb
tbyqf va Yvyyrunzzre?

6. Ubj znal gnetrgf ner pbagrfgnagf erdhverq gb uvg va rnpu fubbgvat
ebhaq bs n ovnguyba?

7. Gur qrpnguyba vf fpberq ba n cbvagf flfgrz. Jub unf enpxrq hc
gur terngrfg ahzore bs cbvagf rire? Uvag: Bylzcvp tbyq zrqnyvfg
va Ybaqba naq Evb.

8. Pnanqvna naq Cna-Nz punzcvba Qnzvna Jneare ubyqf qrpnguyba orfgf
va 2 bs gur 10 riragf. Bar vf gur 110 z uheqyrf; jung vf
gur bgure?

9. Ubj znal riragf ner gurer va gur Bylzcvp genpx naq svryq -nguyba
sbe jbzra?

10. Ertneqvat gung ynfg -nguyba, juvpu guebjvat rirag qbrf vg *abg*
vapyhqr gung vf cneg bs gur zra'f qrpnguyba?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
Without the threat of frequent new releases of the system to

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 11, 2017, 10:38:05 AM2/11/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vtadnTK5VuwPWgPFnZ2dnUU7-
SXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire
>
> The Mediterranean trading empire of the Phoenicians once extended
> from the Levant to the Pillars of Hercules. Many contemporary
> European cities were once Phoenician colonies.
>
> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?

Lebanon

> 3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
> an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
> for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
> capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.

Carthage

> 4. Leptis Magna was a Phoenician settlement under the dominion of
> <answer 3> until the Roman conquest, after which it flourished
> as a quasi-independent city. Today, its ruins are considered
> among the most spectacular of the ancient Mediterranean.
> In what modern-day country is Leptis Magna located?

Libya

> 5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
> On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?

Cyprus

> 7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
> ["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
> Italian island?

Sardinia; Sicily

> 8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
> Phoenician port named Ibossim?

Ibiza

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons
>
> All questions relate to so-called combined events or to the athletes
> that excel at them.
>
> 1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
> event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?

modern pentathlon

> After answering question #1, please decode the rot13 for the
> remaining questions.
>
> 2. Sbhe bs gur fxvyyf grfgrq va gur zbqrea cragnguyba ner
> cvfgby-fubbgvat, pebff-pbhagel ehaavat, fjvzzvat, naq fubj
> whzcvat. Anzr gur svsgu.

fencing

> 3. Gur svefg yrt bs na Bylzcvp gevnguyba pbafvfgf bs qbvat jung
> sbe 1.5 xz?

swimming

> 6. Ubj znal gnetrgf ner pbagrfgnagf erdhverq gb uvg va rnpu fubbgvat
> ebhaq bs n ovnguyba?

10

7

> 10. Ertneqvat gung ynfg -nguyba, juvpu guebjvat rirag qbrf vg *abg*
> vapyhqr gung vf cneg bs gur zra'f qrpnguyba?

shot put

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Feb 11, 2017, 11:21:39 AM2/11/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire

> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?

Lebanon

> 2. The power of Byblos waned with the rise of this southern Lebanese
> city, whose most famous trading product was an eponymous royal
> purple dye. Name the city.

Tyre

> 3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
> an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
> for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
> capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.

Carthage

> 4. Leptis Magna was a Phoenician settlement under the dominion of
> <answer 3> until the Roman conquest, after which it flourished
> as a quasi-independent city. Today, its ruins are considered
> among the most spectacular of the ancient Mediterranean.
> In what modern-day country is Leptis Magna located?

Algeria; Libya

> 5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
> On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?

Crete; Corsica

> 6. Founded by settlers from <answer 3>, Tingi has passed from hand
> to hand ever since, falling successively to the Romans,
> the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Umayyad Caliphate.
> The Portuguese occupied it in 1471, only to give it in 1662 to
> the English, who held it till 1684. By what name do we know
> Tingi today?

Malta

> 7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
> ["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
> Italian island?

Sardinia

> 8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
> Phoenician port named Ibossim?

Ibiza

> 10. The Phoenicians maintained one of their most far-flung trading
> posts in this present-day European capital from as early as
> 1200 BC. The trading post stood by the river estuary, near the
> foot of the slope below the castle hill and the S? Cathedral.
> Name the city.

Lisbon

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons

> 1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
> event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?

pentathlon

> 3. Gur svefg yrt bs na Bylzcvp gevnguyba pbafvfgf bs qbvat jung
> sbe 1.5 xz?

running; swimming

> 6. Ubj znal gnetrgf ner pbagrfgnagf erdhverq gb uvg va rnpu fubbgvat
> ebhaq bs n ovnguyba?

3; 5

> 9. Ubj znal riragf ner gurer va gur Bylzcvp genpx naq svryq -nguyba
> sbe jbzra?

4; 6

> 10. Ertneqvat gung ynfg -nguyba, juvpu guebjvat rirag qbrf vg *abg*
> vapyhqr gung vf cneg bs gur zra'f qrpnguyba?

javelin; discus

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Feb 11, 2017, 2:18:27 PM2/11/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire
>
> The Mediterranean trading empire of the Phoenicians once extended
> from the Levant to the Pillars of Hercules. Many contemporary
> European cities were once Phoenician colonies.
>
> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?
Libya
> 2. The power of Byblos waned with the rise of this southern Lebanese
> city, whose most famous trading product was an eponymous royal
> purple dye. Name the city.
>
> 3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
> an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
> for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
> capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.
Carthage
> 4. Leptis Magna was a Phoenician settlement under the dominion of
> <answer 3> until the Roman conquest, after which it flourished
> as a quasi-independent city. Today, its ruins are considered
> among the most spectacular of the ancient Mediterranean.
> In what modern-day country is Leptis Magna located?
Libya
> 5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
> On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?
Crete
> 6. Founded by settlers from <answer 3>, Tingi has passed from hand
> to hand ever since, falling successively to the Romans,
> the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Umayyad Caliphate.
> The Portuguese occupied it in 1471, only to give it in 1662 to
> the English, who held it till 1684. By what name do we know
> Tingi today?
>
> 7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
> ["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
> Italian island?
Sardinia
> 8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
> Phoenician port named Ibossim?
>
> 9. Founded as Gadir by Phoenicians from <answer 2>, this Spanish
> city, lying on a spit on the Atlantic coast, is considered the
> oldest Phoenician settlement still standing in Western Europe.
> Name it.
>
> 10. The Phoenicians maintained one of their most far-flung trading
> posts in this present-day European capital from as early as
> 1200 BC. The trading post stood by the river estuary, near the
> foot of the slope below the castle hill and the Sé Cathedral.
> Name the city.
>

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons
>
> All questions relate to so-called combined events or to the athletes
> that excel at them.
>
> 1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
> event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?
Modern Pentathlon
> After answering question #1, please decode the rot13 for the
> remaining questions.
>
> 2. Four of the skills tested in the modern pentathlon are
> pistol-shooting, cross-country running, swimming, and show
> jumping. Name the fifth.
Fencing
> 3. The first leg of an Olympic triathlon consists of doing what
> for 1.5 km?
Swimming
> 4. The first Olympic triathlons were held in 2000. Name the winner
> of the men's event that year.
>
> 5. Who won a biathlon bronze at the Albertville Olympics and two
> golds in Lillehammer?
>
> 6. How many targets are contestants required to hit in each shooting
> round of a biathlon?
Five
> 7. The decathlon is scored on a points system. Who has racked up
> the greatest number of points ever? Hint: Olympic gold medalist
> in London and Rio.
Ashton Eaton
> 8. Canadian and Pan-Am champion Damian Warner holds decathlon bests
> in 2 of the 10 events. One is the 110 m hurdles; what is
> the other?
100 metres, 400 metres
> 9. How many events are there in the Olympic track and field -athlon
> for women?
Seven
> 10. Regarding that last -athlon, which throwing event does it not
> include that is part of the men's decathlon?
Discus

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 11, 2017, 5:56:33 PM2/11/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?

Lebanon

> 3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
> an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
> for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
> capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.

Carthago

> 5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
> On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?

Cyprus

> 6. Founded by settlers from <answer 3>, Tingi has passed from hand
> to hand ever since, falling successively to the Romans,
> the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Umayyad Caliphate.
> The Portuguese occupied it in 1471, only to give it in 1662 to
> the English, who held it till 1684. By what name do we know
> Tingi today?

Casablanca

> 7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
> ["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
> Italian island?

Sardinia

> 8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
> Phoenician port named Ibossim?

Ibiza

> 9. Founded as Gadir by Phoenicians from <answer 2>, this Spanish
> city, lying on a spit on the Atlantic coast, is considered the
> oldest Phoenician settlement still standing in Western Europe.
> Name it.

Cartagena

> 10. The Phoenicians maintained one of their most far-flung trading
> posts in this present-day European capital from as early as
> 1200 BC. The trading post stood by the river estuary, near the
> foot of the slope below the castle hill and the Sé Cathedral.
> Name the city.

Lisbon

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons
>
> 1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
> event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?

Decathlon

> 2. Sbhe bs gur fxvyyf grfgrq va gur zbqrea cragnguyba ner
> cvfgby-fubbgvat, pebff-pbhagel ehaavat, fjvzzvat, naq fubj
> whzcvat. Anzr gur svsgu.

Arrow-shooting

> 3. Gur svefg yrt bs na Bylzcvp gevnguyba pbafvfgf bs qbvat jung
> sbe 1.5 xz?

Swimming

> 5. Jub jba n ovnguyba oebamr ng gur Nyoregivyyr Bylzcvpf naq gjb
> tbyqf va Yvyyrunzzre?

Some unknown Canadian.

> 6. Ubj znal gnetrgf ner pbagrfgnagf erdhverq gb uvg va rnpu fubbgvat
> ebhaq bs n ovnguyba?

20

> 7. Gur qrpnguyba vf fpberq ba n cbvagf flfgrz. Jub unf enpxrq hc
> gur terngrfg ahzore bs cbvagf rire? Uvag: Bylzcvp tbyq zrqnyvfg
> va Ybaqba naq Evb.

Thompson

> 8. Pnanqvna naq Cna-Nz punzcvba Qnzvna Jneare ubyqf qrpnguyba orfgf
> va 2 bs gur 10 riragf. Bar vf gur 110 z uheqyrf; jung vf
> gur bgure?

Long-jumping.

7

> 10. Ertneqvat gung ynfg -nguyba, juvpu guebjvat rirag qbrf vg *abg*
> vapyhqr gung vf cneg bs gur zra'f qrpnguyba?

Javelin

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 12, 2017, 1:21:47 AM2/12/17
On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 3:13:12 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire
>
> The Mediterranean trading empire of the Phoenicians once extended
> from the Levant to the Pillars of Hercules. Many contemporary
> European cities were once Phoenician colonies.
>
> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?
Iraq?
Triathlon?
> After answering question #1, please decode the rot13 for the
> remaining questions.
>
> 2. Sbhe bs gur fxvyyf grfgrq va gur zbqrea cragnguyba ner
> cvfgby-fubbgvat, pebff-pbhagel ehaavat, fjvzzvat, naq fubj
> whzcvat. Anzr gur svsgu.
>
> 3. Gur svefg yrt bs na Bylzcvp gevnguyba pbafvfgf bs qbvat jung
> sbe 1.5 xz?
Running?

> 4. Gur svefg Bylzcvp gevnguybaf jrer uryq va 2000. Anzr gur jvaare
> bs gur zra'f rirag gung lrne.
>
> 5. Jub jba n ovnguyba oebamr ng gur Nyoregivyyr Bylzcvpf naq gjb
> tbyqf va Yvyyrunzzre?
>
> 6. Ubj znal gnetrgf ner pbagrfgnagf erdhverq gb uvg va rnpu fubbgvat
> ebhaq bs n ovnguyba?
10?

> 7. Gur qrpnguyba vf fpberq ba n cbvagf flfgrz. Jub unf enpxrq hc
> gur terngrfg ahzore bs cbvagf rire? Uvag: Bylzcvp tbyq zrqnyvfg
> va Ybaqba naq Evb.
>
> 8. Pnanqvna naq Cna-Nz punzcvba Qnzvna Jneare ubyqf qrpnguyba orfgf
> va 2 bs gur 10 riragf. Bar vf gur 110 z uheqyrf; jung vf
> gur bgure?
>
> 9. Ubj znal riragf ner gurer va gur Bylzcvp genpx naq svryq -nguyba
> sbe jbzra?
8?

> 10. Ertneqvat gung ynfg -nguyba, juvpu guebjvat rirag qbrf vg *abg*
> vapyhqr gung vf cneg bs gur zra'f qrpnguyba?
Javelin?

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 12, 2017, 2:38:11 AM2/12/17
In article <vtadnTK5VuwPWgPF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire
>
> The Mediterranean trading empire of the Phoenicians once extended
> from the Levant to the Pillars of Hercules. Many contemporary
> European cities were once Phoenician colonies.
>
> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?
Turkey

> 2. The power of Byblos waned with the rise of this southern Lebanese
> city, whose most famous trading product was an eponymous royal
> purple dye. Name the city.
Tyre

> 3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
> an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
> for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
> capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.
Carthage

> 4. Leptis Magna was a Phoenician settlement under the dominion of
> <answer 3> until the Roman conquest, after which it flourished
> as a quasi-independent city. Today, its ruins are considered
> among the most spectacular of the ancient Mediterranean.
> In what modern-day country is Leptis Magna located?
>
> 5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
> On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?
Sicily

> 6. Founded by settlers from <answer 3>, Tingi has passed from hand
> to hand ever since, falling successively to the Romans,
> the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Umayyad Caliphate.
> The Portuguese occupied it in 1471, only to give it in 1662 to
> the English, who held it till 1684. By what name do we know
> Tingi today?
Tangiers

> 7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
> ["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
> Italian island?
Sardinia

> 8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
> Phoenician port named Ibossim?
Ibiza

> 9. Founded as Gadir by Phoenicians from <answer 2>, this Spanish
> city, lying on a spit on the Atlantic coast, is considered the
> oldest Phoenician settlement still standing in Western Europe.
> Name it.
>
> 10. The Phoenicians maintained one of their most far-flung trading
> posts in this present-day European capital from as early as
> 1200 BC. The trading post stood by the river estuary, near the
> foot of the slope below the castle hill and the Sé Cathedral.
> Name the city.
>

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons
>
> 3. The first leg of an Olympic triathlon consists of doing what
> for 1.5 km?
swimming

7

> 10. Regarding that last -athlon, which throwing event does it *not*
> include that is part of the men's decathlon?
discus

Dan Tilque

Feb 12, 2017, 3:47:48 AM2/12/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire
>
> The Mediterranean trading empire of the Phoenicians once extended
> from the Levant to the Pillars of Hercules. Many contemporary
> European cities were once Phoenician colonies.
>
> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?

Lebanon

> 2. The power of Byblos waned with the rise of this southern Lebanese
> city, whose most famous trading product was an eponymous royal
> purple dye. Name the city.

Tyre

> 3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
> an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
> for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
> capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.

Carthage

> 4. Leptis Magna was a Phoenician settlement under the dominion of
> <answer 3> until the Roman conquest, after which it flourished
> as a quasi-independent city. Today, its ruins are considered
> among the most spectacular of the ancient Mediterranean.
> In what modern-day country is Leptis Magna located?

Algeria

> 5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
> On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?

Cyprus

> 6. Founded by settlers from <answer 3>, Tingi has passed from hand
> to hand ever since, falling successively to the Romans,
> the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Umayyad Caliphate.
> The Portuguese occupied it in 1471, only to give it in 1662 to
> the English, who held it till 1684. By what name do we know
> Tingi today?

Tangier

> 7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
> ["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
> Italian island?

Sardinia

> 8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
> Phoenician port named Ibossim?

Mahon

> 9. Founded as Gadir by Phoenicians from <answer 2>, this Spanish
> city, lying on a spit on the Atlantic coast, is considered the
> oldest Phoenician settlement still standing in Western Europe.
> Name it.

A Coruña

> 10. The Phoenicians maintained one of their most far-flung trading
> posts in this present-day European capital from as early as
> 1200 BC. The trading post stood by the river estuary, near the
> foot of the slope below the castle hill and the Sé Cathedral.
> Name the city.

Lisbon

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons
>
> All questions relate to so-called combined events or to the athletes
> that excel at them.
>
> 1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
> event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?

modern pentathlon

> After answering question #1, please decode the rot13 for the
> remaining questions.
>
> 2. Sbhe bs gur fxvyyf grfgrq va gur zbqrea cragnguyba ner
> cvfgby-fubbgvat, pebff-pbhagel ehaavat, fjvzzvat, naq fubj
> whzcvat. Anzr gur svsgu.

fencing

> 3. Gur svefg yrt bs na Bylzcvp gevnguyba pbafvfgf bs qbvat jung
> sbe 1.5 xz?

swimming

5

7

> 10. Ertneqvat gung ynfg -nguyba, juvpu guebjvat rirag qbrf vg *abg*
> vapyhqr gung vf cneg bs gur zra'f qrpnguyba?

shot put

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Feb 12, 2017, 11:31:40 PM2/12/17
On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 6:13:12 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire
>
> The Mediterranean trading empire of the Phoenicians once extended
> from the Levant to the Pillars of Hercules. Many contemporary
> European cities were once Phoenician colonies.
>
> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?

Tunisia

> 2. The power of Byblos waned with the rise of this southern Lebanese
> city, whose most famous trading product was an eponymous royal
> purple dye. Name the city.

Tripoli, Beirut

> 3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
> an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
> for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
> capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.

Carthage

> 4. Leptis Magna was a Phoenician settlement under the dominion of
> <answer 3> until the Roman conquest, after which it flourished
> as a quasi-independent city. Today, its ruins are considered
> among the most spectacular of the ancient Mediterranean.
> In what modern-day country is Leptis Magna located?

Turkey, Egypt

> 5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
> On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?

Crete, Cyprus

> 6. Founded by settlers from <answer 3>, Tingi has passed from hand
> to hand ever since, falling successively to the Romans,
> the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Umayyad Caliphate.
> The Portuguese occupied it in 1471, only to give it in 1662 to
> the English, who held it till 1684. By what name do we know
> Tingi today?

Malta

> 7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
> ["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
> Italian island?

Sardinia

> 8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
> Phoenician port named Ibossim?

Majorca, Ibiza

> 9. Founded as Gadir by Phoenicians from <answer 2>, this Spanish
> city, lying on a spit on the Atlantic coast, is considered the
> oldest Phoenician settlement still standing in Western Europe.
> Name it.
>
> 10. The Phoenicians maintained one of their most far-flung trading
> posts in this present-day European capital from as early as
> 1200 BC. The trading post stood by the river estuary, near the
> foot of the slope below the castle hill and the Sé Cathedral.
> Name the city.

Lisbon, Dublin

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons
>
> All questions relate to so-called combined events or to the athletes
> that excel at them.
>
> 1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
> event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?

Modern Pentathlon

> After answering question #1, please decode the rot13 for the
> remaining questions.
>
> 2. Sbhe bs gur fxvyyf grfgrq va gur zbqrea cragnguyba ner
> cvfgby-fubbgvat, pebff-pbhagel ehaavat, fjvzzvat, naq fubj
> whzcvat. Anzr gur svsgu.

Fencing

> 3. Gur svefg yrt bs na Bylzcvp gevnguyba pbafvfgf bs qbvat jung
> sbe 1.5 xz?

Swimming

> 4. Gur svefg Bylzcvp gevnguybaf jrer uryq va 2000. Anzr gur jvaare
> bs gur zra'f rirag gung lrne.

Whitfield?

2

> 7. Gur qrpnguyba vf fpberq ba n cbvagf flfgrz. Jub unf enpxrq hc
> gur terngrfg ahzore bs cbvagf rire? Uvag: Bylzcvp tbyq zrqnyvfg
> va Ybaqba naq Evb.
>
> 8. Pnanqvna naq Cna-Nz punzcvba Qnzvna Jneare ubyqf qrpnguyba orfgf
> va 2 bs gur 10 riragf. Bar vf gur 110 z uheqyrf; jung vf
> gur bgure?

Long jump, 200 metres

7

> 10. Ertneqvat gung ynfg -nguyba, juvpu guebjvat rirag qbrf vg *abg*
> vapyhqr gung vf cneg bs gur zra'f qrpnguyba?

Discus

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

Feb 13, 2017, 4:00:48 PM2/13/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vtadnTK5VuwPWgPFnZ2dnUU7-
SXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire
>
> The Mediterranean trading empire of the Phoenicians once extended
> from the Levant to the Pillars of Hercules. Many contemporary
> European cities were once Phoenician colonies.
>
> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?

Turkey; Syria

> 2. The power of Byblos waned with the rise of this southern Lebanese
> city, whose most famous trading product was an eponymous royal
> purple dye. Name the city.

Beirut; Tyre

> 3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
> an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
> for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
> capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.

Ephesus

> 4. Leptis Magna was a Phoenician settlement under the dominion of
> <answer 3> until the Roman conquest, after which it flourished
> as a quasi-independent city. Today, its ruins are considered
> among the most spectacular of the ancient Mediterranean.
> In what modern-day country is Leptis Magna located?

Tunisia; Libya

> 5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
> On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?

Cyprus

> 6. Founded by settlers from <answer 3>, Tingi has passed from hand
> to hand ever since, falling successively to the Romans,
> the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Umayyad Caliphate.
> The Portuguese occupied it in 1471, only to give it in 1662 to
> the English, who held it till 1684. By what name do we know
> Tingi today?

Tunis

> 7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
> ["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
> Italian island?

Sardinia

> 8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
> Phoenician port named Ibossim?

Ibiza

> 9. Founded as Gadir by Phoenicians from <answer 2>, this Spanish
> city, lying on a spit on the Atlantic coast, is considered the
> oldest Phoenician settlement still standing in Western Europe.
> Name it.

Cadiz

> 10. The Phoenicians maintained one of their most far-flung trading
> posts in this present-day European capital from as early as
> 1200 BC. The trading post stood by the river estuary, near the
> foot of the slope below the castle hill and the Sé Cathedral.
> Name the city.

Lisbon

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons
>
> All questions relate to so-called combined events or to the athletes
> that excel at them.
>
> 1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
> event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?

Modern Pentathlon

> After answering question #1, please decode the rot13 for the
> remaining questions.
>
> 2. Sbhe bs gur fxvyyf grfgrq va gur zbqrea cragnguyba ner
> cvfgby-fubbgvat, pebff-pbhagel ehaavat, fjvzzvat, naq fubj
> whzcvat. Anzr gur svsgu.

Fencing

> 3. Gur svefg yrt bs na Bylzcvp gevnguyba pbafvfgf bs qbvat jung
> sbe 1.5 xz?

Swimming

> 4. Gur svefg Bylzcvp gevnguybaf jrer uryq va 2000. Anzr gur jvaare
> bs gur zra'f rirag gung lrne.
>
> 5. Jub jba n ovnguyba oebamr ng gur Nyoregivyyr Bylzcvpf naq gjb
> tbyqf va Yvyyrunzzre?

Bjorn Dahlie

5

> 7. Gur qrpnguyba vf fpberq ba n cbvagf flfgrz. Jub unf enpxrq hc
> gur terngrfg ahzore bs cbvagf rire? Uvag: Bylzcvp tbyq zrqnyvfg
> va Ybaqba naq Evb.
>
> 8. Pnanqvna naq Cna-Nz punzcvba Qnzvna Jneare ubyqf qrpnguyba orfgf
> va 2 bs gur 10 riragf. Bar vf gur 110 z uheqyrf; jung vf
> gur bgure?

100 meter race; 1500 meters race

7

> 10. Ertneqvat gung ynfg -nguyba, juvpu guebjvat rirag qbrf vg *abg*
> vapyhqr gung vf cneg bs gur zra'f qrpnguyba?

Discus

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

Feb 13, 2017, 4:28:00 PM2/13/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire

That's a hard pass, thanks.
> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons
>
> All questions relate to so-called combined events or to the athletes
> that excel at them.
>
> 1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
> event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?

Modern Pentathlon

> After answering question #1, please decode the rot13 for the
> remaining questions.
>
> 2. Sbhe bs gur fxvyyf grfgrq va gur zbqrea cragnguyba ner
> cvfgby-fubbgvat, pebff-pbhagel ehaavat, fjvzzvat, naq fubj
> whzcvat. Anzr gur svsgu.

Srapvat

> 3. Gur svefg yrt bs na Bylzcvp gevnguyba pbafvfgf bs qbvat jung
> sbe 1.5 xz?

Fjvzzvat

> 4. Gur svefg Bylzcvp gevnguybaf jrer uryq va 2000. Anzr gur jvaare
> bs gur zra'f rirag gung lrne.

Fcnavfu sryyn. Pneybf fbzrguvat?

> 5. Jub jba n ovnguyba oebamr ng gur Nyoregivyyr Bylzcvpf naq gjb
> tbyqf va Yvyyrunzzre?

Fbzr pnanqvna, cerfhznoyl

> 6. Ubj znal gnetrgf ner pbagrfgnagf erdhverq gb uvg va rnpu fubbgvat
> ebhaq bs n ovnguyba?

Svir

> 7. Gur qrpnguyba vf fpberq ba n cbvagf flfgrz. Jub unf enpxrq hc
> gur terngrfg ahzore bs cbvagf rire? Uvag: Bylzcvp tbyq zrqnyvfg
> va Ybaqba naq Evb.

Nfugba Rngba

> 8. Pnanqvna naq Cna-Nz punzcvba Qnzvna Jneare ubyqf qrpnguyba orfgf
> va 2 bs gur 10 riragf. Bar vf gur 110 z uheqyrf; jung vf
> gur bgure?

Ybat Whzc, 100z

> 9. Ubj znal riragf ner gurer va gur Bylzcvp genpx naq svryq -nguyba
> sbe jbzra?

Frira

> 10. Ertneqvat gung ynfg -nguyba, juvpu guebjvat rirag qbrf vg *abg*
> vapyhqr gung vf cneg bs gur zra'f qrpnguyba?

Qvfphf

Mark Brader

Feb 14, 2017, 1:02:33 AM2/14/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Geography - The Phoenician Empire

> The Mediterranean trading empire of the Phoenicians once extended
> from the Levant to the Pillars of Hercules. Many contemporary
> European cities were once Phoenician colonies.

> 1. The first capital of the Phoenicians (circa 1200-1000 BC), Byblos
> is one of the longest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
> In what modern-day country is Byblos located?

Lebanon. (It's about 20 miles north of Beirut.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. The power of Byblos waned with the rise of this southern Lebanese
> city, whose most famous trading product was an eponymous royal
> purple dye. Name the city.

Tyre. (Tyrian purple dye. It's about 50 miles south of Beirut.)
4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

> 3. The ancient Romans battled the Phoenicians in the Punic Wars,
> an epic struggle for maritime power that lasted intermittently
> for over a century and ended with the destruction of the last
> capital of the Phoenicians. Name that city.

Carthage. (Tunis, Tunisia, is the modern city on the site.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 4. Leptis Magna was a Phoenician settlement under the dominion of
> <answer 3> until the Roman conquest, after which it flourished
> as a quasi-independent city. Today, its ruins are considered
> among the most spectacular of the ancient Mediterranean.
> In what modern-day country is Leptis Magna located?

Libya. (It's about 65 miles east of Tripoli.) 4 for Joshua
and Peter. 2 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 5. The Phoenician settlement of Kiteon is today called Larnaca.
> On what Mediterranean island can we find Larnaca?

Cyprus. (It's about 25 miles southeast of Nicosia.) 4 for Joshua,
Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 2 for Calvin.

> 6. Founded by settlers from <answer 3>, Tingi has passed from hand
> to hand ever since, falling successively to the Romans,
> the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Umayyad Caliphate.
> The Portuguese occupied it in 1471, only to give it in 1662 to
> the English, who held it till 1684. By what name do we know
> Tingi today?

Tangier (or Tangiers). 4 for Marc and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Another colony of <answer 3>, Karalis -- now Cagliari
> ["Kal-YAR-ee"] -- is today the principal city of which
> Italian island?

Sardinia (or Sardegna ["Sar-DEN-ya"]). 4 for Dan Blum, Peter,
Erland, Marc, Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

> 8. Which glamorous Spanish island resort started life as a
> Phoenician port named Ibossim?

Ibiza. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Marc, and Pete. 2 for Calvin.

> 9. Founded as Gadir by Phoenicians from <answer 2>, this Spanish
> city, lying on a spit on the Atlantic coast, is considered the
> oldest Phoenician settlement still standing in Western Europe.
> Name it.

Cádiz. 4 for Pete.

> 10. The Phoenicians maintained one of their most far-flung trading
> posts in this present-day European capital from as early as
> 1200 BC. The trading post stood by the river estuary, near the
> foot of the slope below the castle hill and the Sé Cathedral.
> Name the city.

Lisbon. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Sports - -athlons

> All questions relate to so-called combined events or to the athletes
> that excel at them.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Before he was a general, he was an Olympian. In which combined
> event did George S. Patton place 5th in 1912?

(Modern) pentathlon. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, Pete, and Gareth.

> After answering question #1, please decode the rot13 for the
> remaining questions.

> 2. Four of the skills tested in the modern pentathlon are
> pistol-shooting, cross-country running, swimming, and show
> jumping. Name the fifth.

Fencing. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, Calvin, Pete, and Gareth.

> 3. The first leg of an Olympic triathlon consists of doing what
> for 1.5 km?

Swimming. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Erland, Marc, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
Pete, and Gareth. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 4. The first Olympic triathlons were held in 2000. Name the winner
> of the men's event that year.

Simon Whitfield. 4 for Calvin.

> 5. Who won a biathlon bronze at the Albertville Olympics and two
> golds in Lillehammer?

Myriam Bédard.

> 6. How many targets are contestants required to hit in each shooting
> round of a biathlon?

5. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Gareth. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 7. The decathlon is scored on a points system. Who has racked up
> the greatest number of points ever? Hint: Olympic gold medalist
> in London and Rio.

Ashton Eaton. 4 for Peter and Gareth.

> 8. Canadian and Pan-Am champion Damian Warner holds decathlon bests
> in 2 of the 10 events. One is the 110 m hurdles; what is
> the other?

100 m. (His time is 10:15.) 3 for Peter and Pete. 2 for Gareth.

> 9. How many events are there in the Olympic track and field -athlon
> for women?

Seven. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Erland, Marc, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
Pete, and Gareth.

> 10. Regarding that last -athlon, which throwing event does it *not*
> include that is part of the men's decathlon?

Discus. 4 for Peter, Marc, Calvin, Pete, and Gareth. 2 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Spo
Pete Gayde 24 27 51
Dan Tilque 28 20 48
Peter Smyth 12 31 43
"Calvin" 15 24 39
Joshua Kreitzer 23 16 39
Dan Blum 26 10 36
Marc Dashevsky 20 12 32
Erland Sommarskog 24 8 32
Gareth Owen 0 30 30
Jason Kreitzer 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"History tells us that the Boston 'T' Party was succeeded