QFTCIMM16 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: overtime and French words

Mark Brader

Jan 3, 2017, 12:59:17 AM1/3/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - Extra Time

Most sports have provisions to produce a winner when a game would
otherwise end in a tie. These questions deal with memorable
extra-time feats. Note that where a team is asked for, in each
case the full name is required, e.g. "Toronto Argonauts".

* The first four questions are about hockey.

1. 16 Stanley Cup final series have been decided by an overtime
winning goal. Maybe the most famous goal in hockey history was
the 1970 Cup-winner, scored a mere 40 seconds into overtime.
They call it "the goal". Who scored it?

2. Name the legendary Leafs defenseman whose overtime goal secured
the 1951 Cup. It was the last goal he scored, as he died later
that year in a plane crash.

3. The longest Cup-winning game in hockey history was decided
at 14:51 of triple overtime. What was controversial about Brett
Hull's goal, which won the 1999 Stanley Cup for the Dallas Stars?

4. Which Colorado Avalanche star holds the career record for most
playoff overtime winners, with 8?

* The next two questions are about soccer.

5. If an elimination soccer match ends in a draw, it typically
goes to added time. The unlikely hero of the most recent major
international tournament to be decided by an added-time goal
goes by the name of Éder. For what country's team did he score
the decisive goal?

6. If the soccer match is not decided in added time, the dreaded
shootout ensues. The 2016 men's Olympic soccer gold medal was
decided by shootout. Name the Brazilian star who scored the
shootout winner.

* The next two questions are about American football.

7. NFL elimination games are decided by sudden-death overtime.
While no Super Bowl has ever gone beyond regulation, many
conference championships have. The longest NFL playoff game was
played on Christmas Day, 1971. At 7:40 of double overtime, the
winning field goal was kicked by Garo Yepremian. For which team?

8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
"the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
Frank Gifford. Name *either* of the teams involved.

* The final two questions deal with baseball.

9. Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, a 1-0 10th-inning victory for
the Minnesota Twins over the Atlanta Braves, featured one of
the great pitching duels in baseball history. The Braves'
starting pitcher and bullpen threw up 9 innings of shutout,
but the Twins' starter went 10 innings for the win. Name either
of the starters.

10. Only three other World Series have been decided in extra
innings, the most recent in 1997, when a flubbed ball by Tony
Fernandez in the 11th inning set the stage for Edgar Renteria's
series-winning RBI. Name either team.

** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in English

From the description in English, give the French term.

1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
into committing unlawful acts.

2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
higher-ranking officer.

3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.

4. Innovative, especially in the arts.

5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
children) in exchange for room and board.

6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.

7. Sculpture that is only slightly more prominent than its
background.

8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
century.

9. Love letter -- literally a "sweet note".

10. A substitute or replacement diplomat, specifically in the
absence of the ambassador.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Some people like my advice so much that they frame it
m...@vex.net | upon the wall instead of using it. --Gordon R. Dickson

Gareth Owen

Jan 3, 2017, 1:41:54 AM1/3/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. 16 Stanley Cup final series have been decided by an overtime
> winning goal. Maybe the most famous goal in hockey history was
> the 1970 Cup-winner, scored a mere 40 seconds into overtime.
> They call it "the goal". Who scored it?

Bobby Orr

> 2. Name the legendary Leafs defenseman whose overtime goal secured
> the 1951 Cup. It was the last goal he scored, as he died later
> that year in a plane crash.
>
> 3. The longest Cup-winning game in hockey history was decided
> at 14:51 of triple overtime. What was controversial about Brett
> Hull's goal, which won the 1999 Stanley Cup for the Dallas Stars?

He may or may not have had his skate in the goalie crease before the
puck

> 4. Which Colorado Avalanche star holds the career record for most
> playoff overtime winners, with 8?

Joe Niewundyk

> * The next two questions are about soccer.
>
> 5. If an elimination soccer match ends in a draw, it typically
> goes to added time. The unlikely hero of the most recent major
> international tournament to be decided by an added-time goal
> goes by the name of Éder. For what country's team did he score
> the decisive goal?

Portugal

> 6. If the soccer match is not decided in added time, the dreaded
> shootout ensues. The 2016 men's Olympic soccer gold medal was
> decided by shootout. Name the Brazilian star who scored the
> shootout winner.

Niemar

> * The next two questions are about American football.
>
> 7. NFL elimination games are decided by sudden-death overtime.
> While no Super Bowl has ever gone beyond regulation, many
> conference championships have. The longest NFL playoff game was
> played on Christmas Day, 1971. At 7:40 of double overtime, the
> winning field goal was kicked by Garo Yepremian. For which team?

Dallas, Indianapolis

> 8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
> NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
> by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
> "the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
> final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
> in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
> Frank Gifford. Name *either* of the teams involved.

NY Giants

> * The final two questions deal with baseball.
>
> 9. Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, a 1-0 10th-inning victory for
> the Minnesota Twins over the Atlanta Braves, featured one of
> the great pitching duels in baseball history. The Braves'
> starting pitcher and bullpen threw up 9 innings of shutout,
> but the Twins' starter went 10 innings for the win. Name either
> of the starters.

Jack Morris

> 10. Only three other World Series have been decided in extra
> innings, the most recent in 1997, when a flubbed ball by Tony
> Fernandez in the 11th inning set the stage for Edgar Renteria's
> series-winning RBI. Name either team.

Cleveland Indians

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in English
>
> From the description in English, give the French term.
>
> 1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
> into committing unlawful acts.

Agent provacateur

> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.

Aide de Camp

> 3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.

Au fait

> 4. Innovative, especially in the arts.

Avant Garde

> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.

Au pair

> 6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.

Dilletante

> 7. Sculpture that is only slightly more prominent than its
> background.
>
> 8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
> century.

Fin de siecle

> 9. Love letter -- literally a "sweet note".

Billet doux

Dan Blum

Jan 3, 2017, 9:43:43 AM1/3/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - Extra Time

> 8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
> NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
> by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
> "the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
> final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
> in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
> Frank Gifford. Name *either* of the teams involved.

New York Giants

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in English

> 1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
> into committing unlawful acts.

agent provocateur

> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.

aide de camp

> 3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.

au courant

> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.

au pair

> 6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.

bon vivant

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 3, 2017, 3:20:57 PM1/3/17
In article <NdWdnZaQgvMyoPbF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - Extra Time
>
> Most sports have provisions to produce a winner when a game would
> otherwise end in a tie. These questions deal with memorable
> extra-time feats. Note that where a team is asked for, in each
> case the full name is required, e.g. "Toronto Argonauts".
>
> * The first four questions are about hockey.
>
> 1. 16 Stanley Cup final series have been decided by an overtime
> winning goal. Maybe the most famous goal in hockey history was
> the 1970 Cup-winner, scored a mere 40 seconds into overtime.
> They call it "the goal". Who scored it?
Bobby Orr

> 2. Name the legendary Leafs defenseman whose overtime goal secured
> the 1951 Cup. It was the last goal he scored, as he died later
> that year in a plane crash.
>
> 3. The longest Cup-winning game in hockey history was decided
> at 14:51 of triple overtime. What was controversial about Brett
> Hull's goal, which won the 1999 Stanley Cup for the Dallas Stars?
>
> 4. Which Colorado Avalanche star holds the career record for most
> playoff overtime winners, with 8?
>
> * The next two questions are about soccer.
>
> 5. If an elimination soccer match ends in a draw, it typically
> goes to added time. The unlikely hero of the most recent major
> international tournament to be decided by an added-time goal
> goes by the name of Éder. For what country's team did he score
> the decisive goal?
>
> 6. If the soccer match is not decided in added time, the dreaded
> shootout ensues. The 2016 men's Olympic soccer gold medal was
> decided by shootout. Name the Brazilian star who scored the
> shootout winner.
>
> * The next two questions are about American football.
>
> 7. NFL elimination games are decided by sudden-death overtime.
> While no Super Bowl has ever gone beyond regulation, many
> conference championships have. The longest NFL playoff game was
> played on Christmas Day, 1971. At 7:40 of double overtime, the
> winning field goal was kicked by Garo Yepremian. For which team?
Miami Dolphins

> 8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
> NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
> by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
> "the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
> final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
> in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
> Frank Gifford. Name *either* of the teams involved.
New York Giants

> * The final two questions deal with baseball.
>
> 9. Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, a 1-0 10th-inning victory for
> the Minnesota Twins over the Atlanta Braves, featured one of
> the great pitching duels in baseball history. The Braves'
> starting pitcher and bullpen threw up 9 innings of shutout,
> but the Twins' starter went 10 innings for the win. Name either
> of the starters.
>
> 10. Only three other World Series have been decided in extra
> innings, the most recent in 1997, when a flubbed ball by Tony
> Fernandez in the 11th inning set the stage for Edgar Renteria's
> series-winning RBI. Name either team.
>

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in English
>
> From the description in English, give the French term.
>
> 1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
> into committing unlawful acts.
agent provacateur

> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.
aide de camp

> 3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.
>
> 4. Innovative, especially in the arts.
outre

> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.
au pair

> 6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.
bon vivant

> 7. Sculpture that is only slightly more prominent than its
> background.
bas relief

> 8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
> century.
Le Belle Epoque

> 9. Love letter -- literally a "sweet note".
billet-doux

> 10. A substitute or replacement diplomat, specifically in the
> absence of the ambassador.
charge d'affaires

Peter Smyth

Jan 3, 2017, 4:33:02 PM1/3/17
Portugal
> 6. If the soccer match is not decided in added time, the dreaded
> shootout ensues. The 2016 men's Olympic soccer gold medal was
> decided by shootout. Name the Brazilian star who scored the
> shootout winner.
Neymar
> * The next two questions are about American football.
>
> 7. NFL elimination games are decided by sudden-death overtime.
> While no Super Bowl has ever gone beyond regulation, many
> conference championships have. The longest NFL playoff game was
> played on Christmas Day, 1971. At 7:40 of double overtime, the
> winning field goal was kicked by Garo Yepremian. For which team?
>
> 8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
> NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
> by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
> "the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
> final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
> in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
> Frank Gifford. Name either of the teams involved.
New York Giants (seems too obvious unless playoffs were played in
neutral venues back then)
> * The final two questions deal with baseball.
>
> 9. Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, a 1-0 10th-inning victory for
> the Minnesota Twins over the Atlanta Braves, featured one of
> the great pitching duels in baseball history. The Braves'
> starting pitcher and bullpen threw up 9 innings of shutout,
> but the Twins' starter went 10 innings for the win. Name either
> of the starters.
>
> 10. Only three other World Series have been decided in extra
> innings, the most recent in 1997, when a flubbed ball by Tony
> Fernandez in the 11th inning set the stage for Edgar Renteria's
> series-winning RBI. Name either team.
>

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in
> English
>
> From the description in English, give the French term.
>
> 1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
> into committing unlawful acts.
Agent Provocateur
> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.
Aide-de-Camp
> 3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.
Erudite
> 4. Innovative, especially in the arts.
>
> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.
Au Pair
> 6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.
Bon Vivant
> 7. Sculpture that is only slightly more prominent than its
> background.
Bas Relief
> 8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
> century.
Haute Cuisine
> 9. Love letter -- literally a "sweet note".
>
> 10. A substitute or replacement diplomat, specifically in the
> absence of the ambassador.
Charge d'affaires

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 3, 2017, 8:06:42 PM1/3/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. 16 Stanley Cup final series have been decided by an overtime
> winning goal. Maybe the most famous goal in hockey history was
> the 1970 Cup-winner, scored a mere 40 seconds into overtime.
> They call it "the goal". Who scored it?

Phil Esposito

> 3. The longest Cup-winning game in hockey history was decided
> at 14:51 of triple overtime. What was controversial about Brett
> Hull's goal, which won the 1999 Stanley Cup for the Dallas Stars?

The refrees were so tired so as soon as the puck was in the net, it was
game over, no matter how it happened.

> 4. Which Colorado Avalanche star holds the career record for most
> playoff overtime winners, with 8?

Peter Forsberg

> 5. If an elimination soccer match ends in a draw, it typically
> goes to added time. The unlikely hero of the most recent major
> international tournament to be decided by an added-time goal
> goes by the name of Éder. For what country's team did he score
> the decisive goal?

Portugal

> 6. If the soccer match is not decided in added time, the dreaded
> shootout ensues. The 2016 men's Olympic soccer gold medal was
> decided by shootout. Name the Brazilian star who scored the
> shootout winner.

Neymar

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in English
>
> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.

liasion

> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.

governant

> 8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
> century.

Art noveau

> 10. A substitute or replacement diplomat, specifically in the
> absence of the ambassador.

chargé a'affairs

Don Piven

Jan 3, 2017, 9:11:44 PM1/3/17
On 1/2/17 23:59, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - Extra Time
>
> Most sports have provisions to produce a winner when a game would
> otherwise end in a tie. These questions deal with memorable
> extra-time feats. Note that where a team is asked for, in each
> case the full name is required, e.g. "Toronto Argonauts".
>
> * The first four questions are about hockey.
>
> 1. 16 Stanley Cup final series have been decided by an overtime
> winning goal. Maybe the most famous goal in hockey history was
> the 1970 Cup-winner, scored a mere 40 seconds into overtime.
> They call it "the goal". Who scored it?

Bobby Orr

> 2. Name the legendary Leafs defenseman whose overtime goal secured
> the 1951 Cup. It was the last goal he scored, as he died later
> that year in a plane crash.
>
> 3. The longest Cup-winning game in hockey history was decided
> at 14:51 of triple overtime. What was controversial about Brett
> Hull's goal, which won the 1999 Stanley Cup for the Dallas Stars?

Appeared to be kicked in.

> 4. Which Colorado Avalanche star holds the career record for most
> playoff overtime winners, with 8?

Peter Stastny.

> * The next two questions are about soccer.
>
> 5. If an elimination soccer match ends in a draw, it typically
> goes to added time. The unlikely hero of the most recent major
> international tournament to be decided by an added-time goal
> goes by the name of Éder. For what country's team did he score
> the decisive goal?
>
> 6. If the soccer match is not decided in added time, the dreaded
> shootout ensues. The 2016 men's Olympic soccer gold medal was
> decided by shootout. Name the Brazilian star who scored the
> shootout winner.
>
> * The next two questions are about American football.
>
> 7. NFL elimination games are decided by sudden-death overtime.
> While no Super Bowl has ever gone beyond regulation, many
> conference championships have. The longest NFL playoff game was
> played on Christmas Day, 1971. At 7:40 of double overtime, the
> winning field goal was kicked by Garo Yepremian. For which team?

Miami Dolphins.

> 8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
> NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
> by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
> "the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
> final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
> in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
> Frank Gifford. Name *either* of the teams involved.

Pittsburgh Steelers.

> * The final two questions deal with baseball.
>
> 9. Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, a 1-0 10th-inning victory for
> the Minnesota Twins over the Atlanta Braves, featured one of
> the great pitching duels in baseball history. The Braves'
> starting pitcher and bullpen threw up 9 innings of shutout,
> but the Twins' starter went 10 innings for the win. Name either
> of the starters.

John Smoltz.

> 10. Only three other World Series have been decided in extra
> innings, the most recent in 1997, when a flubbed ball by Tony
> Fernandez in the 11th inning set the stage for Edgar Renteria's
> series-winning RBI. Name either team.

Cleveland Indians (also involved in the fourth Series decided in extra
innings).

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in English
>
> From the description in English, give the French term.
>
> 1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
> into committing unlawful acts.

Agent provocateur (or provocateuse, vive le difference).

> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.

Aide-de-camp.

> 3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.

Au courant.

> 4. Innovative, especially in the arts.

Avant garde.

> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.

Au pair.

> 6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.

Bon vivant.

> 7. Sculpture that is only slightly more prominent than its
> background.

Bas relief.

> 8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
> century.

Belle Epoque.

> 9. Love letter -- literally a "sweet note".

Billet-doux.

> 10. A substitute or replacement diplomat, specifically in the
> absence of the ambassador.

Charge d'affaires.

Don Piven

Jan 3, 2017, 9:15:19 PM1/3/17
My proofreading is deficient tonight.

> Cleveland Indians (also involved in the fourth *other* Series decided in extra
> innings).

Dan Tilque

Jan 3, 2017, 9:35:40 PM1/3/17
San Diego Chargers

> 8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
> NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
> by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
> "the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
> final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
> in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
> Frank Gifford. Name *either* of the teams involved.

Baltimore Colts

> * The final two questions deal with baseball.
>
> 9. Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, a 1-0 10th-inning victory for
> the Minnesota Twins over the Atlanta Braves, featured one of
> the great pitching duels in baseball history. The Braves'
> starting pitcher and bullpen threw up 9 innings of shutout,
> but the Twins' starter went 10 innings for the win. Name either
> of the starters.

Gaylord Perry ??

> 10. Only three other World Series have been decided in extra
> innings, the most recent in 1997, when a flubbed ball by Tony
> Fernandez in the 11th inning set the stage for Edgar Renteria's
> series-winning RBI. Name either team.

New York Yankees

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in English
>
> From the description in English, give the French term.
>
> 1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
> into committing unlawful acts.

provacateur

> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.

aide de camp

> 3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.

au courant

> 4. Innovative, especially in the arts.
>
> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.

au pair

> 6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.

bon vivant

> 7. Sculpture that is only slightly more prominent than its
> background.

bas relief

> 8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
> century.

art deco

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 4, 2017, 12:44:47 AM1/4/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> ** Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - Extra Time
>
> Most sports have provisions to produce a winner when a game would
> otherwise end in a tie. These questions deal with memorable
> extra-time feats.
>
> 7. NFL elimination games are decided by sudden-death overtime.
> While no Super Bowl has ever gone beyond regulation, many
> conference championships have. The longest NFL playoff game was
> played on Christmas Day, 1971. At 7:40 of double overtime, the
> winning field goal was kicked by Garo Yepremian. For which team?

Miami Dolphins

> 8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
> NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
> by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
> "the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
> final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
> in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
> Frank Gifford. Name *either* of the teams involved.

New York Giants

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in
> English
>
> From the description in English, give the French term.
>
> 1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
> into committing unlawful acts.

agent provocateur

> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.

aide-de-camp

> 3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.

au courant

> 4. Innovative, especially in the arts.

avant-garde

> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.

au pair

> 6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.

bon vivant

> 7. Sculpture that is only slightly more prominent than its
> background.

bas relief

> 8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
> century.

belle epoque

> 9. Love letter -- literally a "sweet note".

billet-doux

> 10. A substitute or replacement diplomat, specifically in the
> absence of the ambassador.

charge d'affaires

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete

Jan 4, 2017, 1:08:16 PM1/4/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:NdWdnZaQgvMyoPbFnZ2dnUU7-
YnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - Extra Time
>
> Most sports have provisions to produce a winner when a game would
> otherwise end in a tie. These questions deal with memorable
> extra-time feats. Note that where a team is asked for, in each
> case the full name is required, e.g. "Toronto Argonauts".
>
> * The first four questions are about hockey.
>
> 1. 16 Stanley Cup final series have been decided by an overtime
> winning goal. Maybe the most famous goal in hockey history was
> the 1970 Cup-winner, scored a mere 40 seconds into overtime.
> They call it "the goal". Who scored it?

Orr

> 2. Name the legendary Leafs defenseman whose overtime goal secured
> the 1951 Cup. It was the last goal he scored, as he died later
> that year in a plane crash.
>
> 3. The longest Cup-winning game in hockey history was decided
> at 14:51 of triple overtime. What was controversial about Brett
> Hull's goal, which won the 1999 Stanley Cup for the Dallas Stars?

He was in the crease when the goal was scored

> 4. Which Colorado Avalanche star holds the career record for most
> playoff overtime winners, with 8?

Forsberg

> * The next two questions are about soccer.
>
> 5. If an elimination soccer match ends in a draw, it typically
> goes to added time. The unlikely hero of the most recent major
> international tournament to be decided by an added-time goal
> goes by the name of Éder. For what country's team did he score
> the decisive goal?

Portugal

> 6. If the soccer match is not decided in added time, the dreaded
> shootout ensues. The 2016 men's Olympic soccer gold medal was
> decided by shootout. Name the Brazilian star who scored the
> shootout winner.

Neymar

> * The next two questions are about American football.
>
> 7. NFL elimination games are decided by sudden-death overtime.
> While no Super Bowl has ever gone beyond regulation, many
> conference championships have. The longest NFL playoff game was
> played on Christmas Day, 1971. At 7:40 of double overtime, the
> winning field goal was kicked by Garo Yepremian. For which team?

Miami Dolphins

> 8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
> NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
> by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
> "the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
> final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
> in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
> Frank Gifford. Name *either* of the teams involved.

New York Giants (and Baltimore Colts)

> * The final two questions deal with baseball.
>
> 9. Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, a 1-0 10th-inning victory for
> the Minnesota Twins over the Atlanta Braves, featured one of
> the great pitching duels in baseball history. The Braves'
> starting pitcher and bullpen threw up 9 innings of shutout,
> but the Twins' starter went 10 innings for the win. Name either
> of the starters.

Jack Morris

> 10. Only three other World Series have been decided in extra
> innings, the most recent in 1997, when a flubbed ball by Tony
> Fernandez in the 11th inning set the stage for Edgar Renteria's
> series-winning RBI. Name either team.

Florida Marlins

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in
English

> From the description in English, give the French term.
>
> 1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
> into committing unlawful acts.

Provacateur

> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.

Adjutant

> 3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.
>
> 4. Innovative, especially in the arts.

Avant garde

> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.

Au pair

> 6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.

Bon vivant

> 7. Sculpture that is only slightly more prominent than its
> background.

Bas relief

> 8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
> century.

La Belle Epoch

> 9. Love letter -- literally a "sweet note".
>
> 10. A substitute or replacement diplomat, specifically in the
> absence of the ambassador.

Consul

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jan 6, 2017, 4:00:12 AM1/6/17
Mark Brader:

******BEFORE POSTING ANSWERS******
***** ADD $DOTDIR/mime *****
***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
***** CHECK URLs *****
**********************************

> ** Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - Extra Time

> Most sports have provisions to produce a winner when a game would
> otherwise end in a tie. These questions deal with memorable
> extra-time feats. Note that where a team is asked for, in each
> case the full name is required, e.g. "Toronto Argonauts".

> * The first four questions are about hockey.

> 1. 16 Stanley Cup final series have been decided by an overtime
> winning goal. Maybe the most famous goal in hockey history was
> the 1970 Cup-winner, scored a mere 40 seconds into overtime.
> They call it "the goal". Who scored it?

Bobby Orr. 4 for Gareth, Marc, Don, and Pete.

He was tripped right after taking the shot, leading to this memorable
photo: http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2013/03/032013orr1.jpg

> 2. Name the legendary Leafs defenseman whose overtime goal secured
> the 1951 Cup. It was the last goal he scored, as he died later
> that year in a plane crash.

Bill Barilko.

And, as you should remember because I've posted a link to this photo
a couple of times before, after taking *his* shot he *also* found
himself in a similar situation: http://i.imgur.com/yj2i7YL.jpg

(That's the referee standing near the net, wearing a necktie and
sweater; zebra stripes weren't introduced until 1955.)

> 3. The longest Cup-winning game in hockey history was decided
> at 14:51 of triple overtime. What was controversial about Brett
> Hull's goal, which won the 1999 Stanley Cup for the Dallas Stars?

His skate was in the goal crease. 4 for Pete. 3 for Gareth.

The wording and application of the rule on disallowing a goal for
this reason had been changed that season, and was rather confusing.
Here's a comment on the controversy, which I think has it about right:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/343121-anykey

changed again. Now the determining factor is no longer the position
or path of the attacking player; it's whether or not, while within
the crease, he interfered with the goalie's ability to defend the
goalmouth.

> 4. Which Colorado Avalanche star holds the career record for most
> playoff overtime winners, with 8?

Joe Sakic.

> * The next two questions are about soccer.

> 5. If an elimination soccer match ends in a draw, it typically
> goes to added time. The unlikely hero of the most recent major
> international tournament to be decided by an added-time goal
> goes by the name of Éder. For what country's team did he score
> the decisive goal?

Portugal. (UEFA Euro 2016. Éder is a nickname for Ederzito António
Macedo Lopes.) 4 for Gareth, Peter, Erland, and Pete.

> 6. If the soccer match is not decided in added time, the dreaded
> shootout ensues. The 2016 men's Olympic soccer gold medal was
> decided by shootout. Name the Brazilian star who scored the
> shootout winner.

Neymar da Silva Santos Jr. "Neymar" was sufficient. 4 for Gareth,
Peter, Erland, and Pete.

> * The next two questions are about American football.

> 7. NFL elimination games are decided by sudden-death overtime.
> While no Super Bowl has ever gone beyond regulation, many
> conference championships have. The longest NFL playoff game was
> played on Christmas Day, 1971. At 7:40 of double overtime, the
> winning field goal was kicked by Garo Yepremian. For which team?

Miami Dolphins. 4 for Marc, Don, Joshua, and Pete.

> 8. The first NFL playoff game to go to sudden death was the 1958
> NFL Championship, played in Yankee Stadium. Viewed nationwide
> by an estimated audience of 45,000,000, it has been hailed as
> "the greatest football game". It ended with a touchdown and a
> final score of 23-17. 15 of the players and coaches involved
> in the game became Hall of Famers, including Raymond Berry and
> Frank Gifford. Name *either* of the teams involved.

New York Giants, Baltimore Colts. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter,
Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete. 3 for Gareth.

> * The final two questions deal with baseball.

> 9. Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, a 1-0 10th-inning victory for
> the Minnesota Twins over the Atlanta Braves, featured one of
> the great pitching duels in baseball history. The Braves'
> starting pitcher and bullpen threw up 9 innings of shutout,
> but the Twins' starter went 10 innings for the win. Name either
> of the starters.

John Smoltz, Jack Morris (respectively). 4 for Gareth, Don, and Pete.

> 10. Only three other World Series have been decided in extra
> innings, the most recent in 1997, when a flubbed ball by Tony
> Fernandez in the 11th inning set the stage for Edgar Renteria's
> series-winning RBI. Name either team.

Florida Marlins (winners), Cleveland Indians. 4 for Gareth, Don,
and Pete.

Of course, since our original game it's happened a 5th time -- with
Cleveland losing again, last year, in the 10th inning of Game 7,
to the Chicago Cubs.

> ** Game 4, Round 3 - Literature - French Words and Expressions in English

> From the description in English, give the French term.

> 1. A person who attempts to provoke suspected individuals or groups
> into committing unlawful acts.

Agent provocateur. 4 for Gareth, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Don,
and Joshua. 3 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 2. A military officer who serves as a personal assistant to a
> higher-ranking officer.

Aide-de-camp. 4 for Gareth, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Don, Dan Tilque,
and Joshua.

> 3. Conversant or informed. Also, in British usage, familiar.

Au courant, or au fait. 4 for Gareth, Dan Blum, Don, Dan Tilque,
and Joshua.

> 4. Innovative, especially in the arts.

Avant-garde. 4 for Gareth, Don, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. A person who works for a family (cleaning and/or teaching the
> children) in exchange for room and board.

Au pair. 4 for Gareth, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Don, Dan Tilque,
Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. Someone who lives well, who knows how to enjoy life.

Bon vivant. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Don, Dan Tilque, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 7. Sculpture that is only slightly more prominent than its
> background.

Bas-relief. 4 for Marc, Peter, Don, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> 8. The golden age of art and culture in France in the early 20th
> century.

Belle Époque. I reluctantly accepted "Belle Epoch" for full points
since a non-French-speaker might render "Époque" with the same sound
as "Epoch". 4 for Marc, Don, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. Love letter -- literally a "sweet note".

Billet-doux. 4 for Gareth, Marc, Don, and Joshua.

> 10. A substitute or replacement diplomat, specifically in the
> absence of the ambassador.

Chargé d'affaires. 4 for Marc, Peter, Erland, Don, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Lit
Don Piven 16 40 56
Pete Gayde 32 23 55
Gareth Owen 26 24 50
Joshua Kreitzer 8 40 48
Marc Dashevsky 12 32 44
Peter Smyth 12 24 36
Dan Tilque 4 23 27
Dan Blum 4 20 24
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 12

--
Mark Brader | "...the average homeowner should expect...
Toronto | meteor damage every hundred million years."

Gareth Owen

Jan 6, 2017, 12:17:24 PM1/6/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Mark Brader:
>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
>> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
>> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> ******BEFORE POSTING ANSWERS******
> ***** ADD $DOTDIR/mime *****
> ***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
> ***** CHECK URLs *****
> **********************************
***** REMOVE THIS REMINDER *****
**********************************

Mark Brader

Jan 6, 2017, 2:06:38 PM1/6/17
Mark Brader:

Gareth Owen:

***** MAKE RUDE NOISE *****

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "These days UNIX isn't very UNIX-like"
m...@vex.net -- Doug Gwyn