Grupy dyskusyjne Google nie obsługują już nowych postów ani subskrypcji z Usenetu. Treści historyczne nadal będą dostępne.

QFTCIWSS Game 6, Rounds 4,6: deserts, Thomas

18 wyświetleń

Mark Brader

nieprzeczytany,
26 wrz 2018, 15:38:1026.09.2018
do
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 4 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Deserts

They're large and they're dry.

In some cases we will ask about deserts that share most of their
name, or the important part of their name, with a place. In that
case either form of the name will be acceptable. For example,
if there was a German Desert in Germany and we asked for it,
you could say either "German" or "Germany".

1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that
metric, what is the largest desert in the world?

2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving
as little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it
to the surface of Mars. Name it.

3. At almost 500,000 km², what is the largest desert in North
America?

4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
desert. Which one?

5. The Gobi Desert is the 5th-largest desert in the world, but
lies within the borders of only two countries. Name both.

6. Three of the six largest deserts in Australia -- the Great Sandy,
the Little Sandy, and the Gibson -- are considered to form a
single "superdesert", located within one state of the country.
The state and the desert share the main part of their names:
give either name.

7. Which Argentinian desert is the largest desert in South America,
and the 8th-largest in the world?

8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
lbh unir svavfurq jvgu gur erfg bs gur ebhaq. Gur Ngnpnzn Qrfreg
vf gur ynetrfg pbby pbnfgny qrfreg va gur jbeyq, ohg juvpu
Nsevpna qrfreg vf gur *frpbaq-ynetrfg* pbby pbnfgny qrfreg?
Gur anzr bs gur qrfreg sbezf cneg bs gur anzr bs gur pbhagel
jurer vg'f ybpngrq.

9. Gur ynetrfg aba-cbyne qrfreg vf gur Fnunen. Juvyr fbheprf
inel nf gb rknpgyl jung pbhagevrf vg rkgraqf vagb, jr'yy tb
ol gur Raplpybcrqvn Oevgnaavpn, juvpu unf vg vapyhqvat cnegf
bs Revgern naq Zbebppb ohg abg, sbe rknzcyr, Ohexvan Snfb.
Ba guvf onfvf, naq abg pbhagvat gur qvfchgrq "nhgbabzbhf ertvba"
bs Jrfgrea Fnunen nf n pbhagel -- jvguva 1, ubj znal pbhagevrf
qbrf gur Fnunen rkgraq vagb?

10. Gur frpbaq- naq guveq-ynetrfg qrfregf va Abegu Nzrevpn ner
obgu cevznevyl Zrkvpna qrfregf, juvpu funer zbfg bs gurve
anzrf jvgu gur Zrkvpna fgngrf gurl erfcrpgviryl bireync.
Anzr rvgure bar.

* Game 6, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - Thomas the Tank Engine

Here's a treat for our younger players. Beware of table talk:
trains can't keep secrets.

1. Name the island where Thomas lives.

2. There is a real-life island in the British Isles that was
formerly named <answer 1>, and that name is still used within
the Anglican church. But the Anglican Bishop responsible
for the diocese does not get a seat as a Lord Spiritual in the
British House of Lords, because the island is not part of the UK.
What's the common name of this well-known island?

3. Who wrote the original books that Thomas first appeared in?
Not surprisingly, he was an Anglican minister.

4. In the early books, Thomas's boss is called the Fat Controller.
In the later books and the TV series, he is known by his name,
which has more to do with how he dresses than with his girth.
Name him.

5. What does <answer 4> say that Thomas has caused when he's done
something wrong? (Full phrase required.)

6. How does <answer 4> describe Thomas when he's done something
well? (Full phrase required.)

7. Name the musician who narrated the first two TV seasons in
Britain, from 1984 to 1986.

8. Name the comedian who narrated the first four TV seasons in
the US, from 1991 to 1996.

For the last two questions, please see the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-6/tank.jpg

(in which one name would be visible if we hadn't blurred it out),
and tell us which image shows...

9. Cranky?
10. Percy?

And if you like, for fun but for no points, decode the rot13 and
do the same with the 5 decoys:

11. Gbol?
12. Urael?
13. Qhapna?
14. Rqjneq?
15. Wnzrf?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The English future is very confusing!
m...@vex.net (This is not a political statement.)"

Erland Sommarskog

nieprzeczytany,
26 wrz 2018, 17:14:3526.09.2018
do
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
> receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that
> metric, what is the largest desert in the world?

Sahara

> 2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
> only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving
> as little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it
> to the surface of Mars. Name it.

Atacama

> 3. At almost 500,000 km², what is the largest desert in North
> America?

Mojave

> 4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
> sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
> desert. Which one?

Sahara

> 5. The Gobi Desert is the 5th-largest desert in the world, but
> lies within the borders of only two countries. Name both.

China and Mongolia

> 6. Three of the six largest deserts in Australia -- the Great Sandy,
> the Little Sandy, and the Gibson -- are considered to form a
> single "superdesert", located within one state of the country.
> The state and the desert share the main part of their names:
> give either name.

Western Australia

> 7. Which Argentinian desert is the largest desert in South America,
> and the 8th-largest in the world?

The Patagonian Steppe (Which does not really look like a desert, because
it is, well, a steppe. But it certainly qualifies by the definition
above.)

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
> lbh unir svavfurq jvgu gur erfg bs gur ebhaq. Gur Ngnpnzn Qrfreg
> vf gur ynetrfg pbby pbnfgny qrfreg va gur jbeyq, ohg juvpu
> Nsevpna qrfreg vf gur *frpbaq-ynetrfg* pbby pbnfgny qrfreg?
> Gur anzr bs gur qrfreg sbezf cneg bs gur anzr bs gur pbhagel
> jurer vg'f ybpngrq.

I would say Kalahari, but that is not really part of Namibia...

> 9. Gur ynetrfg aba-cbyne qrfreg vf gur Fnunen. Juvyr fbheprf
> inel nf gb rknpgyl jung pbhagevrf vg rkgraqf vagb, jr'yy tb
> ol gur Raplpybcrqvn Oevgnaavpn, juvpu unf vg vapyhqvat cnegf
> bs Revgern naq Zbebppb ohg abg, sbe rknzcyr, Ohexvan Snfb.
> Ba guvf onfvf, naq abg pbhagvat gur qvfchgrq "nhgbabzbhf ertvba"
> bs Jrfgrea Fnunen nf n pbhagel -- jvguva 1, ubj znal pbhagevrf
> qbrf gur Fnunen rkgraq vagb?

12

Dan Blum

nieprzeczytany,
26 wrz 2018, 17:48:3526.09.2018
do
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Deserts

> 1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
> receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that
> metric, what is the largest desert in the world?

Antarctica

> 2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
> only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving
> as little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it
> to the surface of Mars. Name it.

Atacama

> 3. At almost 500,000 km?, what is the largest desert in North
> America?

Sonora; Chihuahua

> 4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
> sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
> desert. Which one?

Arabian

> 5. The Gobi Desert is the 5th-largest desert in the world, but
> lies within the borders of only two countries. Name both.

Mongolia and China

> 6. Three of the six largest deserts in Australia -- the Great Sandy,
> the Little Sandy, and the Gibson -- are considered to form a
> single "superdesert", located within one state of the country.
> The state and the desert share the main part of their names:
> give either name.

Western Australia

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
> lbh unir svavfurq jvgu gur erfg bs gur ebhaq. Gur Ngnpnzn Qrfreg
> vf gur ynetrfg pbby pbnfgny qrfreg va gur jbeyq, ohg juvpu
> Nsevpna qrfreg vf gur *frpbaq-ynetrfg* pbby pbnfgny qrfreg?
> Gur anzr bs gur qrfreg sbezf cneg bs gur anzr bs gur pbhagel
> jurer vg'f ybpngrq.

Namib

> 9. Gur ynetrfg aba-cbyne qrfreg vf gur Fnunen. Juvyr fbheprf
> inel nf gb rknpgyl jung pbhagevrf vg rkgraqf vagb, jr'yy tb
> ol gur Raplpybcrqvn Oevgnaavpn, juvpu unf vg vapyhqvat cnegf
> bs Revgern naq Zbebppb ohg abg, sbe rknzcyr, Ohexvan Snfb.
> Ba guvf onfvf, naq abg pbhagvat gur qvfchgrq "nhgbabzbhf ertvba"
> bs Jrfgrea Fnunen nf n pbhagel -- jvguva 1, ubj znal pbhagevrf
> qbrf gur Fnunen rkgraq vagb?

13

> 10. Gur frpbaq- naq guveq-ynetrfg qrfregf va Abegu Nzrevpn ner
> obgu cevznevyl Zrkvpna qrfregf, juvpu funer zbfg bs gurve
> anzrf jvgu gur Zrkvpna fgngrf gurl erfcrpgviryl bireync.
> Anzr rvgure bar.

Sonora

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - Thomas the Tank Engine

> 1. Name the island where Thomas lives.

Sodor

> 2. There is a real-life island in the British Isles that was
> formerly named <answer 1>, and that name is still used within
> the Anglican church. But the Anglican Bishop responsible
> for the diocese does not get a seat as a Lord Spiritual in the
> British House of Lords, because the island is not part of the UK.
> What's the common name of this well-known island?

Man

> 4. In the early books, Thomas's boss is called the Fat Controller.
> In the later books and the TV series, he is known by his name,
> which has more to do with how he dresses than with his girth.
> Name him.

Sir Topham Hatt

> 5. What does <answer 4> say that Thomas has caused when he's done
> something wrong? (Full phrase required.)

trouble on the tracks

> 6. How does <answer 4> describe Thomas when he's done something
> well? (Full phrase required.)

a really useful engine

> 7. Name the musician who narrated the first two TV seasons in
> Britain, from 1984 to 1986.

Ringo Starr

> 8. Name the comedian who narrated the first four TV seasons in
> the US, from 1991 to 1996.

George Carlin

3

> 10. Percy?

2; 1

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

nieprzeczytany,
26 wrz 2018, 22:17:0726.09.2018
do
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:EZmdnR2Q2YaAfTbGnZ2dnUU7-
L_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Deserts
>
> 1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
> receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that
> metric, what is the largest desert in the world?

Antarctica

> 2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
> only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving
> as little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it
> to the surface of Mars. Name it.

Atacama

> 3. At almost 500,000 km², what is the largest desert in North
> America?

Mojave

> 4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
> sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
> desert. Which one?

Arabian

> 5. The Gobi Desert is the 5th-largest desert in the world, but
> lies within the borders of only two countries. Name both.

Mongolia and China

> 6. Three of the six largest deserts in Australia -- the Great Sandy,
> the Little Sandy, and the Gibson -- are considered to form a
> single "superdesert", located within one state of the country.
> The state and the desert share the main part of their names:
> give either name.

Western Australia

> 7. Which Argentinian desert is the largest desert in South America,
> and the 8th-largest in the world?

Patagonia

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
> lbh unir svavfurq jvgu gur erfg bs gur ebhaq. Gur Ngnpnzn Qrfreg
> vf gur ynetrfg pbby pbnfgny qrfreg va gur jbeyq, ohg juvpu
> Nsevpna qrfreg vf gur *frpbaq-ynetrfg* pbby pbnfgny qrfreg?
> Gur anzr bs gur qrfreg sbezf cneg bs gur anzr bs gur pbhagel
> jurer vg'f ybpngrq.

Namib

> 9. Gur ynetrfg aba-cbyne qrfreg vf gur Fnunen. Juvyr fbheprf
> inel nf gb rknpgyl jung pbhagevrf vg rkgraqf vagb, jr'yy tb
> ol gur Raplpybcrqvn Oevgnaavpn, juvpu unf vg vapyhqvat cnegf
> bs Revgern naq Zbebppb ohg abg, sbe rknzcyr, Ohexvan Snfb.
> Ba guvf onfvf, naq abg pbhagvat gur qvfchgrq "nhgbabzbhf ertvba"
> bs Jrfgrea Fnunen nf n pbhagel -- jvguva 1, ubj znal pbhagevrf
> qbrf gur Fnunen rkgraq vagb?

12; 15

> 10. Gur frpbaq- naq guveq-ynetrfg qrfregf va Abegu Nzrevpn ner
> obgu cevznevyl Zrkvpna qrfregf, juvpu funer zbfg bs gurve
> anzrf jvgu gur Zrkvpna fgngrf gurl erfcrpgviryl bireync.
> Anzr rvgure bar.

Sonora; Chihuahua

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - Thomas the Tank Engine
>
> Here's a treat for our younger players. Beware of table talk:
> trains can't keep secrets.
>
> 1. Name the island where Thomas lives.

Sodor

> 2. There is a real-life island in the British Isles that was
> formerly named <answer 1>, and that name is still used within
> the Anglican church. But the Anglican Bishop responsible
> for the diocese does not get a seat as a Lord Spiritual in the
> British House of Lords, because the island is not part of the UK.
> What's the common name of this well-known island?

Isle of Man

> 3. Who wrote the original books that Thomas first appeared in?
> Not surprisingly, he was an Anglican minister.

Awdry

> 4. In the early books, Thomas's boss is called the Fat Controller.
> In the later books and the TV series, he is known by his name,
> which has more to do with how he dresses than with his girth.
> Name him.

Sir Topham Hatt

> 7. Name the musician who narrated the first two TV seasons in
> Britain, from 1984 to 1986.

Ringo Starr

> 8. Name the comedian who narrated the first four TV seasons in
> the US, from 1991 to 1996.

George Carlin

> For the last two questions, please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-6/tank.jpg
>
> (in which one name would be visible if we hadn't blurred it out),
> and tell us which image shows...
>
> 9. Cranky?

3; 7

> 10. Percy?

6; 2

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

nieprzeczytany,
27 wrz 2018, 06:06:1827.09.2018
do
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Deserts
>
> They're large and they're dry.
>
> In some cases we will ask about deserts that share most of their
> name, or the important part of their name, with a place. In that
> case either form of the name will be acceptable. For example,
> if there was a German Desert in Germany and we asked for it,
> you could say either "German" or "Germany".
>
> 1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
> receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that
> metric, what is the largest desert in the world?

Sahara

> 2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
> only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving
> as little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it
> to the surface of Mars. Name it.

Atacama

> 3. At almost 500,000 km², what is the largest desert in North
> America?

Mohave

> 4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
> sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
> desert. Which one?

Saudi Arabian

> 5. The Gobi Desert is the 5th-largest desert in the world, but
> lies within the borders of only two countries. Name both.

China, Mongolia

> 6. Three of the six largest deserts in Australia -- the Great Sandy,
> the Little Sandy, and the Gibson -- are considered to form a
> single "superdesert", located within one state of the country.
> The state and the desert share the main part of their names:
> give either name.

Western Australia

> 7. Which Argentinian desert is the largest desert in South America,
> and the 8th-largest in the world?

Patagonian

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
> lbh unir svavfurq jvgu gur erfg bs gur ebhaq. Gur Ngnpnzn Qrfreg
> vf gur ynetrfg pbby pbnfgny qrfreg va gur jbeyq, ohg juvpu
> Nsevpna qrfreg vf gur *frpbaq-ynetrfg* pbby pbnfgny qrfreg?
> Gur anzr bs gur qrfreg sbezf cneg bs gur anzr bs gur pbhagel
> jurer vg'f ybpngrq.

Kalahari

> 9. Gur ynetrfg aba-cbyne qrfreg vf gur Fnunen. Juvyr fbheprf
> inel nf gb rknpgyl jung pbhagevrf vg rkgraqf vagb, jr'yy tb
> ol gur Raplpybcrqvn Oevgnaavpn, juvpu unf vg vapyhqvat cnegf
> bs Revgern naq Zbebppb ohg abg, sbe rknzcyr, Ohexvan Snfb.
> Ba guvf onfvf, naq abg pbhagvat gur qvfchgrq "nhgbabzbhf ertvba"
> bs Jrfgrea Fnunen nf n pbhagel -- jvguva 1, ubj znal pbhagevrf
> qbrf gur Fnunen rkgraq vagb?

12

> 10. Gur frpbaq- naq guveq-ynetrfg qrfregf va Abegu Nzrevpn ner
> obgu cevznevyl Zrkvpna qrfregf, juvpu funer zbfg bs gurve
> anzrf jvgu gur Zrkvpna fgngrf gurl erfcrpgviryl bireync.
> Anzr rvgure bar.

Sonoran

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - Thomas the Tank Engine
>
> Here's a treat for our younger players. Beware of table talk:
> trains can't keep secrets.
>
> 1. Name the island where Thomas lives.
>
> 2. There is a real-life island in the British Isles that was
> formerly named <answer 1>, and that name is still used within
> the Anglican church. But the Anglican Bishop responsible
> for the diocese does not get a seat as a Lord Spiritual in the
> British House of Lords, because the island is not part of the UK.
> What's the common name of this well-known island?

Isle of Man
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

nieprzeczytany,
27 wrz 2018, 08:55:2827.09.2018
do
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Deserts
>
> They're large and they're dry.
>
> In some cases we will ask about deserts that share most of their
> name, or the important part of their name, with a place. In that
> case either form of the name will be acceptable. For example,
> if there was a German Desert in Germany and we asked for it,
> you could say either "German" or "Germany".
>
> 1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
> receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that
> metric, what is the largest desert in the world?
Antarctica
> 2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
> only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving
> as little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it
> to the surface of Mars. Name it.
Atacama
> 3. At almost 500,000 km², what is the largest desert in North
> America?
>
> 4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
> sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
> desert. Which one?
Sahara
> 5. The Gobi Desert is the 5th-largest desert in the world, but
> lies within the borders of only two countries. Name both.
China and Mongolia
> 6. Three of the six largest deserts in Australia -- the Great Sandy,
> the Little Sandy, and the Gibson -- are considered to form a
> single "superdesert", located within one state of the country.
> The state and the desert share the main part of their names:
> give either name.
Western Australia
> 7. Which Argentinian desert is the largest desert in South America,
> and the 8th-largest in the world?
Patagonian
> 8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
> you have finished with the rest of the round. The Atacama Desert
> is the largest cool coastal desert in the world, but which
> African desert is the *second-largest* cool coastal desert?
> The name of the desert forms part of the name of the country
> where it's located.
Namib
> 9. The largest non-polar desert is the Sahara. While sources
> vary as to exactly what countries it extends into, we'll go
> by the Encyclopedia Britannica, which has it including parts
> of Eritrea and Morocco but not, for example, Burkina Faso.
> On this basis, and not counting the disputed "autonomous region"
> of Western Sahara as a country -- within 1, how many countries
> does the Sahara extend into?
10, 11
> 10. The second- and third-largest deserts in North America are
> both primarily Mexican deserts, which share most of their
> names with the Mexican states they respectively overlap.
> Name either one.
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - Thomas the Tank Engine
>
> Here's a treat for our younger players. Beware of table talk:
> trains can't keep secrets.
>
> 1. Name the island where Thomas lives.
Sodor
> 2. There is a real-life island in the British Isles that was
> formerly named <answer 1>, and that name is still used within
> the Anglican church. But the Anglican Bishop responsible
> for the diocese does not get a seat as a Lord Spiritual in the
> British House of Lords, because the island is not part of the UK.
> What's the common name of this well-known island?
Isle of Man
> 3. Who wrote the original books that Thomas first appeared in?
> Not surprisingly, he was an Anglican minister.
Rev Awdry
> 4. In the early books, Thomas's boss is called the Fat Controller.
> In the later books and the TV series, he is known by his name,
> which has more to do with how he dresses than with his girth.
> Name him.
Sir Topham Hatt
> 5. What does <answer 4> say that Thomas has caused when he's done
> something wrong? (Full phrase required.)
>
> 6. How does <answer 4> describe Thomas when he's done something
> well? (Full phrase required.)
Very Useful Engine
> 7. Name the musician who narrated the first two TV seasons in
> Britain, from 1984 to 1986.
Ringo Starr

3
5

4
2
7
1
> 15. James?
6

Peter Smyth

Bruce Bowler

nieprzeczytany,
27 wrz 2018, 10:00:3927.09.2018
do
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 14:38:05 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-25, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2018-07-16
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Deserts
>
> They're large and they're dry.
>
> In some cases we will ask about deserts that share most of their name,
> or the important part of their name, with a place. In that case either
> form of the name will be acceptable. For example,
> if there was a German Desert in Germany and we asked for it,
> you could say either "German" or "Germany".
>
> 1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
> receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that metric,
> what is the largest desert in the world?

Antarctic

> 2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
> only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving as
> little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it to the
> surface of Mars. Name it.

Atacama

> 3. At almost 500,000 km², what is the largest desert in North
> America?

> 4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
> sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
> desert. Which one?

Sahara

8

> 10. The second- and third-largest deserts in North America are
> both primarily Mexican deserts, which share most of their names with
> the Mexican states they respectively overlap.
> Name either one.

Sonoran

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - Thomas the Tank Engine
>
> Here's a treat for our younger players. Beware of table talk: trains
> can't keep secrets.
>
> 1. Name the island where Thomas lives.

Sodor

> 2. There is a real-life island in the British Isles that was
> formerly named <answer 1>, and that name is still used within the
> Anglican church. But the Anglican Bishop responsible for the diocese
> does not get a seat as a Lord Spiritual in the British House of
> Lords, because the island is not part of the UK.
> What's the common name of this well-known island?
>
> 3. Who wrote the original books that Thomas first appeared in?
> Not surprisingly, he was an Anglican minister.
>
> 4. In the early books, Thomas's boss is called the Fat Controller.
> In the later books and the TV series, he is known by his name, which
> has more to do with how he dresses than with his girth. Name him.

Sir Topham Hatt

> 5. What does <answer 4> say that Thomas has caused when he's done
> something wrong? (Full phrase required.)
>
> 6. How does <answer 4> describe Thomas when he's done something
> well? (Full phrase required.)
>
> 7. Name the musician who narrated the first two TV seasons in
> Britain, from 1984 to 1986.

Ringo Starr

> 8. Name the comedian who narrated the first four TV seasons in
> the US, from 1991 to 1996.

George Carlin

7

5

3

4

1

2

> 15. James?

6

Pete Gayde

nieprzeczytany,
27 wrz 2018, 19:10:4827.09.2018
do
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:EZmdnR2Q2YaAfTbGnZ2dnUU7-
L_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-25,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Deserts
>
> They're large and they're dry.
>
> In some cases we will ask about deserts that share most of their
> name, or the important part of their name, with a place. In that
> case either form of the name will be acceptable. For example,
> if there was a German Desert in Germany and we asked for it,
> you could say either "German" or "Germany".
>
> 1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
> receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that
> metric, what is the largest desert in the world?

Sahara; Gobi

> 2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
> only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving
> as little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it
> to the surface of Mars. Name it.
>
> 3. At almost 500,000 km², what is the largest desert in North
> America?

Mojave

> 4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
> sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
> desert. Which one?

Sahara; Arabian

> 5. The Gobi Desert is the 5th-largest desert in the world, but
> lies within the borders of only two countries. Name both.

China and Mongolia; China and Kyrgyzstan

> 6. Three of the six largest deserts in Australia -- the Great Sandy,
> the Little Sandy, and the Gibson -- are considered to form a
> single "superdesert", located within one state of the country.
> The state and the desert share the main part of their names:
> give either name.

West Australia

> 7. Which Argentinian desert is the largest desert in South America,
> and the 8th-largest in the world?

Patagonian

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
> lbh unir svavfurq jvgu gur erfg bs gur ebhaq. Gur Ngnpnzn Qrfreg
> vf gur ynetrfg pbby pbnfgny qrfreg va gur jbeyq, ohg juvpu
> Nsevpna qrfreg vf gur *frpbaq-ynetrfg* pbby pbnfgny qrfreg?
> Gur anzr bs gur qrfreg sbezf cneg bs gur anzr bs gur pbhagel
> jurer vg'f ybpngrq.

Namib

> 9. Gur ynetrfg aba-cbyne qrfreg vf gur Fnunen. Juvyr fbheprf
> inel nf gb rknpgyl jung pbhagevrf vg rkgraqf vagb, jr'yy tb
> ol gur Raplpybcrqvn Oevgnaavpn, juvpu unf vg vapyhqvat cnegf
> bs Revgern naq Zbebppb ohg abg, sbe rknzcyr, Ohexvan Snfb.
> Ba guvf onfvf, naq abg pbhagvat gur qvfchgrq "nhgbabzbhf ertvba"
> bs Jrfgrea Fnunen nf n pbhagel -- jvguva 1, ubj znal pbhagevrf
> qbrf gur Fnunen rkgraq vagb?

9; 12

> 10. Gur frpbaq- naq guveq-ynetrfg qrfregf va Abegu Nzrevpn ner
> obgu cevznevyl Zrkvpna qrfregf, juvpu funer zbfg bs gurve
> anzrf jvgu gur Zrkvpna fgngrf gurl erfcrpgviryl bireync.
> Anzr rvgure bar.

Baja California

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - Thomas the Tank Engine
>
> Here's a treat for our younger players. Beware of table talk:
> trains can't keep secrets.
>
> 1. Name the island where Thomas lives.

Sodor

> 2. There is a real-life island in the British Isles that was
> formerly named <answer 1>, and that name is still used within
> the Anglican church. But the Anglican Bishop responsible
> for the diocese does not get a seat as a Lord Spiritual in the
> British House of Lords, because the island is not part of the UK.
> What's the common name of this well-known island?
>
> 3. Who wrote the original books that Thomas first appeared in?
> Not surprisingly, he was an Anglican minister.
>
> 4. In the early books, Thomas's boss is called the Fat Controller.
> In the later books and the TV series, he is known by his name,
> which has more to do with how he dresses than with his girth.
> Name him.
>
> 5. What does <answer 4> say that Thomas has caused when he's done
> something wrong? (Full phrase required.)
>
> 6. How does <answer 4> describe Thomas when he's done something
> well? (Full phrase required.)
>
> 7. Name the musician who narrated the first two TV seasons in
> Britain, from 1984 to 1986.

Ringo Starr

> 8. Name the comedian who narrated the first four TV seasons in
> the US, from 1991 to 1996.

Carlin

3

> 10. Percy?

5; 2

> And if you like, for fun but for no points, decode the rot13 and
> do the same with the 5 decoys:
>
> 11. Gbol?
> 12. Urael?
> 13. Qhapna?
> 14. Rqjneq?
> 15. Wnzrf?

Pete Gayde

Calvin

nieprzeczytany,
27 wrz 2018, 19:40:5927.09.2018
do
On Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 5:38:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Deserts
>
> They're large and they're dry.
>
> In some cases we will ask about deserts that share most of their
> name, or the important part of their name, with a place. In that
> case either form of the name will be acceptable. For example,
> if there was a German Desert in Germany and we asked for it,
> you could say either "German" or "Germany".
>
> 1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
> receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that
> metric, what is the largest desert in the world?

Antarctica

> 2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
> only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving
> as little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it
> to the surface of Mars. Name it.

Atacama

> 3. At almost 500,000 km², what is the largest desert in North
> America?

Mojave

> 4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
> sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
> desert. Which one?

Sahara

> 5. The Gobi Desert is the 5th-largest desert in the world, but
> lies within the borders of only two countries. Name both.

China and Mongolia

> 6. Three of the six largest deserts in Australia -- the Great Sandy,
> the Little Sandy, and the Gibson -- are considered to form a
> single "superdesert", located within one state of the country.
> The state and the desert share the main part of their names:
> give either name.

Ugh. Western Australia, South Australia

> 7. Which Argentinian desert is the largest desert in South America,
> and the 8th-largest in the world?

Patagonia

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
> lbh unir svavfurq jvgu gur erfg bs gur ebhaq. Gur Ngnpnzn Qrfreg
> vf gur ynetrfg pbby pbnfgny qrfreg va gur jbeyq, ohg juvpu
> Nsevpna qrfreg vf gur *frpbaq-ynetrfg* pbby pbnfgny qrfreg?
> Gur anzr bs gur qrfreg sbezf cneg bs gur anzr bs gur pbhagel
> jurer vg'f ybpngrq.

Namib

> 9. Gur ynetrfg aba-cbyne qrfreg vf gur Fnunen. Juvyr fbheprf
> inel nf gb rknpgyl jung pbhagevrf vg rkgraqf vagb, jr'yy tb
> ol gur Raplpybcrqvn Oevgnaavpn, juvpu unf vg vapyhqvat cnegf
> bs Revgern naq Zbebppb ohg abg, sbe rknzcyr, Ohexvan Snfb.
> Ba guvf onfvf, naq abg pbhagvat gur qvfchgrq "nhgbabzbhf ertvba"
> bs Jrfgrea Fnunen nf n pbhagel -- jvguva 1, ubj znal pbhagevrf
> qbrf gur Fnunen rkgraq vagb?

10, 13

> 10. Gur frpbaq- naq guveq-ynetrfg qrfregf va Abegu Nzrevpn ner
> obgu cevznevyl Zrkvpna qrfregf, juvpu funer zbfg bs gurve
> anzrf jvgu gur Zrkvpna fgngrf gurl erfcrpgviryl bireync.
> Anzr rvgure bar.

Tijuana, Baja California

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - Thomas the Tank Engine
>
> Here's a treat for our younger players. Beware of table talk:
> trains can't keep secrets.
>
> 1. Name the island where Thomas lives.

Sodor

> 2. There is a real-life island in the British Isles that was
> formerly named <answer 1>, and that name is still used within
> the Anglican church. But the Anglican Bishop responsible
> for the diocese does not get a seat as a Lord Spiritual in the
> British House of Lords, because the island is not part of the UK.
> What's the common name of this well-known island?

Wight, Man

> 3. Who wrote the original books that Thomas first appeared in?
> Not surprisingly, he was an Anglican minister.
>
> 4. In the early books, Thomas's boss is called the Fat Controller.
> In the later books and the TV series, he is known by his name,
> which has more to do with how he dresses than with his girth.
> Name him.
>
> 5. What does <answer 4> say that Thomas has caused when he's done
> something wrong? (Full phrase required.)
>
> 6. How does <answer 4> describe Thomas when he's done something
> well? (Full phrase required.)
>
> 7. Name the musician who narrated the first two TV seasons in
> Britain, from 1984 to 1986.

Ringo Starr

> 8. Name the comedian who narrated the first four TV seasons in
> the US, from 1991 to 1996.
>
> For the last two questions, please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-6/tank.jpg
>
> (in which one name would be visible if we hadn't blurred it out),
> and tell us which image shows...
>
> 9. Cranky?

7, 3

> 10. Percy?

5, 6

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

nieprzeczytany,
30 wrz 2018, 16:56:1030.09.2018
do
Erland Sommarskog:
> I would say Kalahari, but that is not really part of Namibia...

Please make it clear what your answer or answers are. I will score this
as two answers, Kalahari and Namibia.
--
Mark Brader | "Reality aside, we would like to deploy a methodology
m...@vex.net | for how Rooter might behave in theory."

Mark Brader

nieprzeczytany,
30 wrz 2018, 16:59:3530.09.2018
do
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-25,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Deserts

> They're large and they're dry.

> In some cases we will ask about deserts that share most of their
> name, or the important part of their name, with a place. In that
> case either form of the name will be acceptable. For example,
> if there was a German Desert in Germany and we asked for it,
> you could say either "German" or "Germany".

> 1. A desert is traditionally defined as an area of land which
> receives less than 250 mm of precipitation per year. By that
> metric, what is the largest desert in the world?

Antarctica (Antarctic Polar Desert). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter,
Bruce, and Calvin.

> 2. This desert in Chile is the driest desert in the world, averaging
> only 15 mm of precipitation per year, with some parts receiving
> as little as 1 mm per year. Climatologists have compared it
> to the surface of Mars. Name it.

Atacama. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Bruce,
and Calvin.

> 3. At almost 500,000 km², what is the largest desert in North
> America?

Great Basin Desert. I didn't know it either. See:
http://www.in-the-desert.com/desert/IMAG009.JPG

> 4. The Rub'al-Khali ["roob-AL kah-LEE"] is the largest contiguous
> sandy desert in the world, but it is only part of a much larger
> desert. Which one?

Arabian. I accepted "Saudi Arabian" based on the "important part
of the name" guideline. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Pete.

> 5. The Gobi Desert is the 5th-largest desert in the world, but
> lies within the borders of only two countries. Name both.

China, Mongolia. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter,
Bruce, and Calvin. 3 for Pete.

> 6. Three of the six largest deserts in Australia -- the Great Sandy,
> the Little Sandy, and the Gibson -- are considered to form a
> single "superdesert", located within one state of the country.
> The state and the desert share the main part of their names:
> give either name.

Western Australia. (Western Desert). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Peter. 3 for Pete and Calvin.

> 7. Which Argentinian desert is the largest desert in South America,
> and the 8th-largest in the world?

Patagonian. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Pete,
and Calvin.

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
> you have finished with the rest of the round. The Atacama Desert
> is the largest cool coastal desert in the world, but which
> African desert is the *second-largest* cool coastal desert?
> The name of the desert forms part of the name of the country
> where it's located.

Namib. (Namibia.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Bruce, Pete,
and Calvin. 2 for Erland.

> 9. The largest non-polar desert is the Sahara. While sources
> vary as to exactly what countries it extends into, we'll go
> by the Encyclopedia Britannica, which has it including parts
> of Eritrea and Morocco but not, for example, Burkina Faso.
> On this basis, and not counting the disputed "autonomous region"
> of Western Sahara as a country -- within 1, how many countries
> does the Sahara extend into?

11 (accepting 10-12). 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Peter (the
hard way). 3 for Joshua and Calvin. 2 for Pete.

See: <http://cdn.britannica.com/700x450/67/3867-004-E8505AD3.jpg>

In the original game this question did not cite a source or provide
any guidance such as the mention of Eritrea. Oops.

> 10. The second- and third-largest deserts in North America are
> both primarily Mexican deserts, which share most of their
> names with the Mexican states they respectively overlap.
> Name either one.

Sonora (Sonoran Desert), Chihuahua (Chihuahuan Desert). 4 for
Dan Blum, Joshua (the hard way), Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - Thomas the Tank Engine

> Here's a treat for our younger players. Beware of table talk:
> trains can't keep secrets.

> 1. Name the island where Thomas lives.

Sodor. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Bruce, Pete, and Calvin.

> 2. There is a real-life island in the British Isles that was
> formerly named <answer 1>, and that name is still used within
> the Anglican church. But the Anglican Bishop responsible
> for the diocese does not get a seat as a Lord Spiritual in the
> British House of Lords, because the island is not part of the UK.
> What's the common name of this well-known island?

(Isle of) Man. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Peter.
2 for Calvin.

> 3. Who wrote the original books that Thomas first appeared in?
> Not surprisingly, he was an Anglican minister.

Wilbert Awdry. 4 for Joshua and Peter.

> 4. In the early books, Thomas's boss is called the Fat Controller.
> In the later books and the TV series, he is known by his name,
> which has more to do with how he dresses than with his girth.
> Name him.

Sir Topham Hatt. (The surname was sufficient.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, Peter, and Bruce.

> 5. What does <answer 4> say that Thomas has caused when he's done
> something wrong? (Full phrase required.)

Confusion and delay.

> 6. How does <answer 4> describe Thomas when he's done something
> well? (Full phrase required.)

A really useful engine. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Name the musician who narrated the first two TV seasons in
> Britain, from 1984 to 1986.

Ringo Starr. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Bruce, Pete, and Calvin.

> 8. Name the comedian who narrated the first four TV seasons in
> the US, from 1991 to 1996.

George Carlin. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, and Pete.

#3. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, and Pete. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Calvin.

#5. 4 for Peter and Bruce. 3 for Pete and Calvin.

#4. Peter got this.

#2. Peter got this.

#7. Peter got this.

#1. Peter got this.

#6. Peter and Bruce got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lei Can Geo A&L
Joshua Kreitzer 32 13 35 27 107
Dan Blum 28 14 28 28 98
Bruce Bowler 24 0 20 20 64
Peter Smyth -- -- 28 28 56
Dan Tilque 24 0 28 4 56
Pete Gayde 16 0 18 19 53
"Calvin" -- -- 26 15 41
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 22 0 22
Jason Kreitzer 12 4 -- -- 16

--
Mark Brader | I'm just protesting at it. ("against it" might have been better,
Toronto | but that would have involved typing five more letters, so in the

Erland Sommarskog

nieprzeczytany,
1 paź 2018, 17:08:151.10.2018
do
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 7. Which Argentinian desert is the largest desert in South America,
>> and the 8th-largest in the world?
>
> Patagonian. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Pete,
> and Calvin.

Several entrants answered "Patagonia" which technically is incorrect,
since Patagonia refers to the entire area between the Pacific Ocean
and the Atlantic below some limit, there does not really seem to
steadfast definition, at least not on the Chilean side. The west side
is very wet, but the largest area, the one between the Andes and
the Atlantic is indeed dry. However, I suspect that when most people
hear "Patagonia" they think of wild mountains, glaciers and temperated rain
forest. For me personally, when I hear of Patagonia, I do indeed think
of that steppe, which just has a spell on me with its monotony. And, well
it's on only monotone it terms of vegetation. It is not a flat plain,
but there are minor mountain ranges and gorges.

I like to clarify that I am not questioning Mark's ruling. It would be
unreasonable to rule a question wrong because of a missing -n. (And
"steppe", since the question actually said desert.)

On the other hand:

>> 8. Please decode the rot13 for the last 3 questions only after
>> you have finished with the rest of the round. The Atacama Desert
>> is the largest cool coastal desert in the world, but which
>> African desert is the *second-largest* cool coastal desert?
>> The name of the desert forms part of the name of the country
>> where it's located.
>
> Namib. (Namibia.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Bruce, Pete,
> and Calvin. 2 for Erland.

No, this cannot be right. The question asked for the name of the
desert, which I did not know. (I had never heard of it.) So, please no
points for me.

Mark Brader

nieprzeczytany,
2 paź 2018, 00:21:132.10.2018
do
Erland Sommarskog:
> Several entrants answered "Patagonia" which technically is incorrect...

You forgot the preamble to the round, which I added precisely to cover
this sort of thing.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Oh what a tangled web we weave,
m...@vex.net | a literate geekiness to achieve." --Steve Summit

Erland Sommarskog

nieprzeczytany,
2 paź 2018, 14:56:232.10.2018
do
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Several entrants answered "Patagonia" which technically is incorrect...
>
> You forgot the preamble to the round, which I added precisely to cover
> this sort of thing.

Yeah, but I like to talk about Patagonia anyway. :-)
Nowe wiadomości: 0