Calvin's Quiz #409

Calvin

Sep 29, 2015, 5:16:06 AM9/29/15
1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was executed for treason following World War II?
2 Which Australia author has won the Booker prize twice, firstly in 1988 and again in 2001?
3 What is the capital city of Otago?
4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to the Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and "Matilda" (1988)?
5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of five independent countries?
6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?
7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two tennis players won the mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?
8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?
9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?
10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled by 22 stars, which major film studio is the last to still be headquartered in the Hollywood district of Los Angeles?

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 29, 2015, 6:39:46 AM9/29/15
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates with
> an enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was
> executed for treason following World War II?

Quisling

> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?

Otago city. :-) (Where the hell is Otago?)

> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of
> five independent countries?

Southern Cross. (Soon four, it seems.)

> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?

Angola

> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?

156

> 10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled
> by 22 stars, which major film studio is the last to still be
> headquartered in the Hollywood district of Los Angeles?

Paramount

Dan Tilque

Sep 29, 2015, 7:22:16 AM9/29/15
Calvin wrote:
> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was executed for treason following World War II?

Quisling

> 2 Which Australia author has won the Booker prize twice, firstly in 1988 and again in 2001?
> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?

Christchurch

> 4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to the Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and "Matilda" (1988)?
> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of five independent countries?

Crux

(Southern Cross is technically an incorrect answer here, although I'll
be very surprised if Calvin does not have it as his answer. The official
name of the constellation is Crux, Latin for "cross".)

> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?

Namibia

> 7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two tennis players won the mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?
> 8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?

The Tempest

> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?

54

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 29, 2015, 9:19:35 AM9/29/15
"Calvin":
> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Which
> Minister-President of Norway was executed for treason
> following World War II?

Quisling. Vidkun Quisling, I believe.

> 2 Which Australia author has won the Booker prize twice,
> firstly in 1988 and again in 2001?

McCullers. ("Name an Australian author".)

> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?

Dunedin?

> 4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to
> the Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and
> "Matilda" (1988)?

Dahl.

> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national
> flags of five independent countries?

Crux?

> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?

Angola?

> 7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two tennis
> players won the mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?

Johnson & Johnson.

> 8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?

"The Tempest"?

> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?

54.

> 10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain
> encircled by 22 stars, which major film studio is the last
> to still be headquartered in the Hollywood district of Los
> Angeles?

Paramount.

--
Mark Brader "They're trying to invent a new crime:
Toronto interference with a business model."

Mark Brader

Sep 29, 2015, 9:25:31 AM9/29/15
Dan Tilque:
> (Southern Cross is technically an incorrect answer here...
> The official name of the constellation is Crux, Latin for "cross".)

Huh. Tricky. This seems a sufficiently official source:

http://www.iau.org/public/themes/constellations/

and you have to go all the way down to the footnotes to see that where
they show an "English name", it only means "the popular name in English".
Who knew? :-)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "... pure English is de rigueur"
m...@vex.net -- Guardian Weekly

David B

Sep 29, 2015, 10:01:14 AM9/29/15
8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?

The Tempest.

9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?

54.

10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled by 22
stars, which major film studio is the last to still be headquartered in the
Hollywood district of Los Angeles?

Paramount.

--
David B
http://waterfalls.me.uk

Gareth Owen

Sep 29, 2015, 2:43:33 PM9/29/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates with an
> enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was
> executed for treason following World War II?

Quisling (Vygard?)

> 2 Which Australia author has won the Booker prize twice, firstly in
> 1988 and again in 2001?

Thomas Keneally?

> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?

Dunedin

> 4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to the
> Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and "Matilda" (1988)?

Roald Dahl

> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of
> five independent countries?

Southern Cross

> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?

Angola

> 7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two tennis players won the
> mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?

No idea

> 8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?

The Tempest

> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?

54

> 10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled by
> 22 stars, which major film studio is the last to still be
> headquartered in the Hollywood district of Los Angeles?

Paramount

Björn Lundin

Sep 29, 2015, 4:46:17 PM9/29/15
On 2015-09-29 11:16, Calvin wrote:
> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was executed for treason following World War II?
Vidkun Quisling
> 2 Which Australia author has won the Booker prize twice, firstly in 1988 and again in 2001?
> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?
> 4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to the Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and "Matilda" (1988)?
> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of five independent countries?
The cross
> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?
Angola
> 7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two tennis players won the mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?
> 8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?
> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?

6*3*3=54

> 10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled by 22 stars, which major film studio is the last to still be headquartered in the Hollywood district of Los Angeles?

Paramount

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Peter Smyth

Sep 29, 2015, 6:28:33 PM9/29/15
Calvin wrote:

> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates with
> an enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was
> executed for treason following World War II?
>
> 2 Which Australia author has won the Booker prize twice, firstly in
> 1988 and again in 2001?
>
> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?
Christchurch
> 4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to the
> Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and "Matilda" (1988)?
Roald Dahl
> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of
> five independent countries?
Southern Cross
> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?
Angola
> 7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two tennis players won
> the mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?
Hingis/Paes
> 8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?
The Tempest
> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?
54 (6 sides x 9 squares)
> 10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled
> by 22 stars, which major film studio is the last to still be
> headquartered in the Hollywood district of Los Angeles?
Universal

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 30, 2015, 5:51:06 AM9/30/15
In article <7647ab2a-3192-4ac4...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was executed for treason following World War II?
Quisling

> 2 Which Australia author has won the Booker prize twice, firstly in 1988 and again in 2001?
> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?
> 4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to the Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and "Matilda" (1988)?
Roald Dahl

> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of five independent countries?
Southern Cross

> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?
Angola

> 7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two tennis players won the mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?
> 8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?
The Tempest

> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?
54

> 10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled by 22 stars, which major film studio is the last to still be headquartered in the Hollywood district of Los Angeles?
Paramount

Chris F.A. Johnson

Sep 30, 2015, 4:30:03 PM9/30/15
On 2015-09-29, Calvin wrote:
> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was executed for treason following World War II?

Quisling

> 2 Which Australia author has won the Booker prize twice, firstly in 1988 and again in 2001?

Peter Carey

> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?
> 4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to the Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and "Matilda" (1988)?

Roald Dahl

> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of five independent countries?

Southern Cross

> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?

Angola

> 7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two tennis players won the mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?

Hingis and ??

> 8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?

The Tempest

> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?

54

> 10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled by 22 stars, which major film studio is the last to still be headquartered in the Hollywood district of Los Angeles?

Paramount

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Pete

Oct 1, 2015, 5:07:51 PM10/1/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates
> with an enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was
> executed for treason following World War II?

Quisling

> 2 Which Australia
> author has won the Booker prize twice, firstly in 1988 and again in
> 2001?
> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?

Dunedin

> 4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to the
> Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and "Matilda" (1988)?

Roald Dahl

> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of
> five independent countries?
> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?

Angola

> 7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two
> tennis players won the mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?
> 8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?

The Tempest

> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?

54

> 10 Its logo consisting of
> a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled by 22 stars, which major
> film studio is the last to still be headquartered in the Hollywood
> district of Los Angeles?

Paramount

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Calvin

Oct 8, 2015, 1:04:46 AM10/8/15
On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 7:16:06 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 His surname is now synonymous with a person who collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Which Minister-President of Norway was executed for treason following World War II?

Vidkun QUISLING

> 2 Which Australia author has won the Booker prize twice, firstly in 1988 and again in 2001?

Peter CAREY
Singleton to Chris

> 3 What is the capital city of Otago?

DUNEDIN

> 4 Which versatile British author's works include "Lamb to the Slaughter" (1953) and "My Uncle Oswald" (1979) and "Matilda" (1988)?

Roald DAHL

> 5 Which distinctive constellation appears on the national flags of five independent countries?

CRUX / SOUTHERN CROSS

> 6 Luanda is the capital city of which African country?

ANGOLA

> 7 Despite a combined age of 75 years, which two tennis players won the mixed doubles at the 2015 Australian Open?

Martina HINGIS and Leander PAES
Singleton to Peter S

> 8 What Shakespeare play opens with a storm at sea?

The TEMPEST

> 9 How many coloured squares are on a Rubik's Cube?

54

> 10 Its logo consisting of a distinctly pyramidal mountain encircled by 22 stars, which major film studio is the last to still be headquartered in the Hollywood district of Los Angeles?

PARAMOUNT

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 409
1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 49 Chris Johnson
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 57 Gareth Owen
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 57 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 7 47 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 7 48 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 7 49 Bjorn Lundin
0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 6 44 Peter Smyth
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 5 33 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 4 24 Erland S
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 3 22 David Brown
8 1 4 7 8 8 1 8 9 9 63 63%

Chris takes the win courtesy of the tiebreaker.

cheers,
calvin