QFTCIWSS Final, Round 3: Entertainment

Mark Brader

Dec 18, 2018, 12:11:42 AM12/18/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-08-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 4 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment
(That's what that is.)

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/r.jpg

Throughout the Final game, in all cases name the person or thing
*emphasized*, whether it is asked for in the form of a question
or not.

* "Mission: Impossible" Settings
(Dun dun DAH DAH dun dun DAH DAH.)

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t1.jpg

We so admired Bill Psychs' round of James Bond movie locale
questions from last season's Final, we thought the "Mission:
Impossible" movie series earned the same treatment. So here is
the same idea: we'll tell you the locations where the movie is set,
and you tell us which film in the series it is. (Either by number
or subtitle.)

1. Moscow, Dubai, Mumbai. *Which movie?*
2. Prague, Langley (Virginia), London. *Which movie?*
3. Berlin, Vatican City, Shanghai. *Which movie?*

* Game Show Bankbreakers
(Money makes the world go round.)

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t2.jpg

Every so often, a contestant on a game show achieves success on
a level the show's producers did not anticipate.

4. Paul Michael Larson, a fan of *this game show*, worked out that
the board on which players "spun" for money actually had only a
few pre-set patterns. He went on the show in 1984 and avoided
the dreaded "Whammies" for 45 minutes, earning $110,237 US on
a show that rarely saw winners exceed $10,000. CBS had to cut
his episode into two parts to air it.

5. Terry Kneiss came to realize that *this game show*'s prize items
had their values locked, which made guessing those values a work
of memorization rather than chance. He went on the show in 2008
and "guessed" $23,743 US in the final round -- the exact price,
netting him both his and his opponent's potential grand prize.

6. Ken Jennings is the all-time leader in consecutive games
won on "Jeopardy!", with his winning streak netting him over
$2,500,000 US. Within 2, *how many games* did he win in
that streak?

* Video Game Screenshots

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t3.jpg

This one's pretty simple: we'll give you a screenshot from a
popular modern video game, and you tell us what game it is.

7. *What game?* http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/vid/7.jpg
8. *What game?* http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/vid/8.jpg
9. *What game?* http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/vid/9.jpg

* Canadian Musicals
(Maple syrup, moose, and beer,
Toques and "ehs" that we hold dear.)

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t4.jpg

"Come from Away" is only the most recent successful Canadian
musical. Here are three questions about other Canadian musical
plays that have been successful on both sides of the border.

10. *This parody* of an American musical debuted at the Toronto
Fringe Festival in 1998 at the Rivoli, and then debuted
on Broadway in 2006 and then on London's West End in 2008.
David Mirvish was an early fan and became a financial backer
of this show (that featured a show-within-a-show).

11. *This rock musical*, based on a series of movies, debuted
here at the Tranzac on this very stage in 2003. The creative
team included George Reinblatt, Christopher Bond, Frank Cipolla
and Melissa Morris. It played off-Broadway for 7 months
in 2006, and has since had numerous incarnations, including
a Vegas production and an Ultimate 4D show that features a
"splatter zone".

12. One of the most successful Canadian shows ever, *this play*
by Ted Dykstra and Richard Greenblatt premiered at the Tarragon
Theatre in 1995. With help from Mirvish Productions, it ran
for 6 months off-Broadway before transferring to the Kennedy
Center in Washington. This two-hander can be performed by
either two men or two women.

* "The Office"
(We couldn't not do this -- our team name is literally "What
She Said".)

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t5.jpg

Both the British and American versions of "The Office" were
critical and commercial successes, and their mockumentary,
single-camera style has inspired many other successful
comedic shows. Three questions about the best/worst places
to work in the world.

13. The American version of "The Office" takes place in Scranton,
Pennsylvania. In *what large town in Berkshire* is the original
British series set?

14. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/14.jpg

What is *this character's full name*?

15. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/15.jpg

These three characters all worked in *which department at
Dunder Mifflin*?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I wish to God these calculations had been
m...@vex.net | executed by steam!" -- Charles Babbage, 1821

Dan Tilque

Dec 18, 2018, 3:19:59 AM12/18/18
Wheel of Fortune

> 5. Terry Kneiss came to realize that *this game show*'s prize items
> had their values locked, which made guessing those values a work
> of memorization rather than chance. He went on the show in 2008
> and "guessed" $23,743 US in the final round -- the exact price,
> netting him both his and his opponent's potential grand prize.

The Price is Right
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 18, 2018, 8:53:08 AM12/18/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vqmdnTR3ar4UHIXBnZ2dnUU7-
SfN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment
>
> * Game Show Bankbreakers
>
> 4. Paul Michael Larson, a fan of *this game show*, worked out that
> the board on which players "spun" for money actually had only a
> few pre-set patterns. He went on the show in 1984 and avoided
> the dreaded "Whammies" for 45 minutes, earning $110,237 US on
> a show that rarely saw winners exceed $10,000. CBS had to cut
> his episode into two parts to air it.

"Press Your Luck"

> 5. Terry Kneiss came to realize that *this game show*'s prize items
> had their values locked, which made guessing those values a work
> of memorization rather than chance. He went on the show in 2008
> and "guessed" $23,743 US in the final round -- the exact price,
> netting him both his and his opponent's potential grand prize.

"The Price Is Right"

> 6. Ken Jennings is the all-time leader in consecutive games
> won on "Jeopardy!", with his winning streak netting him over
> $2,500,000 US. Within 2, *how many games* did he win in
> that streak?

74

> * Canadian Musicals
>
> 10. *This parody* of an American musical debuted at the Toronto
> Fringe Festival in 1998 at the Rivoli, and then debuted
> on Broadway in 2006 and then on London's West End in 2008.
> David Mirvish was an early fan and became a financial backer
> of this show (that featured a show-within-a-show).

"The Drowsy Chaperone"

> * "The Office"
>
> 14. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/14.jpg
>
> What is *this character's full name*?

Dwight Schrute

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Bruce Bowler

Dec 18, 2018, 9:21:15 AM12/18/18
On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 23:11:37 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game Show Bankbreakers
> (Money makes the world go round.)
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t2.jpg
>
> Every so often, a contestant on a game show achieves success on a level
> the show's producers did not anticipate.
>
> 4. Paul Michael Larson, a fan of *this game show*, worked out that
> the board on which players "spun" for money actually had only a few
> pre-set patterns. He went on the show in 1984 and avoided the
> dreaded "Whammies" for 45 minutes, earning $110,237 US on a show that
> rarely saw winners exceed $10,000. CBS had to cut his episode into
> two parts to air it.

Press Your Luck

> 5. Terry Kneiss came to realize that *this game show*'s prize items
> had their values locked, which made guessing those values a work of
> memorization rather than chance. He went on the show in 2008 and
> "guessed" $23,743 US in the final round -- the exact price, netting
> him both his and his opponent's potential grand prize.

The Price Is Right

> 6. Ken Jennings is the all-time leader in consecutive games
> won on "Jeopardy!", with his winning streak netting him over
> $2,500,000 US. Within 2, *how many games* did he win in that streak?

64

Dan Blum

Dec 18, 2018, 9:46:38 AM12/18/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment

> * "Mission: Impossible" Settings

> 1. Moscow, Dubai, Mumbai. *Which movie?*

Ghost Protocol

> 2. Prague, Langley (Virginia), London. *Which movie?*

Rogue Nation; I

> 3. Berlin, Vatican City, Shanghai. *Which movie?*

III

> * Game Show Bankbreakers

> 4. Paul Michael Larson, a fan of *this game show*, worked out that
> the board on which players "spun" for money actually had only a
> few pre-set patterns. He went on the show in 1984 and avoided
> the dreaded "Whammies" for 45 minutes, earning $110,237 US on
> a show that rarely saw winners exceed $10,000. CBS had to cut
> his episode into two parts to air it.

Press Your Luck

> 6. Ken Jennings is the all-time leader in consecutive games
> won on "Jeopardy!", with his winning streak netting him over
> $2,500,000 US. Within 2, *how many games* did he win in
> that streak?

74

> * Video Game Screenshots
Assassin's Creed: Venice

> * "The Office"

> 15. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/15.jpg

> These three characters all worked in *which department at
> Dunder Mifflin*?

finance; marketing

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 18, 2018, 5:09:50 PM12/18/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 7. *What game?* http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/vid/7.jpg

World of Warcraft
Grand Theft Auto
Minecraft

Calvin

Dec 18, 2018, 8:33:47 PM12/18/18
76

> * Video Game Screenshots
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t3.jpg
>
> This one's pretty simple: we'll give you a screenshot from a
> popular modern video game, and you tell us what game it is.
>
> 7. *What game?* http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/vid/7.jpg

Assassin's Cred, World of Warcraft
Fortnite
Slough

> 14. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/14.jpg
>
> What is *this character's full name*?

Dwight Shrute

> 15. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/15.jpg
>
> These three characters all worked in *which department at
> Dunder Mifflin*?

Finance

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

Dec 19, 2018, 12:14:23 PM12/19/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vqmdnTR3ar4UHIXBnZ2dnUU7-
SfN...@giganews.com:

1; 2

> 2. Prague, Langley (Virginia), London. *Which movie?*

2; 3

> 3. Berlin, Vatican City, Shanghai. *Which movie?*

3; 4

> * Game Show Bankbreakers
> (Money makes the world go round.)
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t2.jpg
>
> Every so often, a contestant on a game show achieves success on
> a level the show's producers did not anticipate.
>
> 4. Paul Michael Larson, a fan of *this game show*, worked out that
> the board on which players "spun" for money actually had only a
> few pre-set patterns. He went on the show in 1984 and avoided
> the dreaded "Whammies" for 45 minutes, earning $110,237 US on
> a show that rarely saw winners exceed $10,000. CBS had to cut
> his episode into two parts to air it.
>
> 5. Terry Kneiss came to realize that *this game show*'s prize items
> had their values locked, which made guessing those values a work
> of memorization rather than chance. He went on the show in 2008
> and "guessed" $23,743 US in the final round -- the exact price,
> netting him both his and his opponent's potential grand prize.

The Price Is Right

> 6. Ken Jennings is the all-time leader in consecutive games
> won on "Jeopardy!", with his winning streak netting him over
> $2,500,000 US. Within 2, *how many games* did he win in
> that streak?

71; 76
Slough

> 14. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/14.jpg
>
> What is *this character's full name*?

Dwight Schrute

> 15. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/15.jpg
>
> These three characters all worked in *which department at
> Dunder Mifflin*?

Human Resources

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Dec 22, 2018, 8:07:52 AM12/22/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-08-07,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 3 - Entertainment
> (That's what that is.)

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/r.jpg

In the original game this was the second-easiest round, after
current events.

> Throughout the Final game, in all cases name the person or thing
> *emphasized*, whether it is asked for in the form of a question
> or not.

> * "Mission: Impossible" Settings
> (Dun dun DAH DAH dun dun DAH DAH.)

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t1.jpg

> We so admired Bill Psychs' round of James Bond movie locale
> questions from last season's Final, we thought the "Mission:
> Impossible" movie series earned the same treatment. So here is
> the same idea: we'll tell you the locations where the movie is set,
> and you tell us which film in the series it is. (Either by number
> or subtitle.)

> 1. Moscow, Dubai, Mumbai. *Which movie?*

"Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" (or #4). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Prague, Langley (Virginia), London. *Which movie?*

"Mission: Impossible" (or #1). 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Berlin, Vatican City, Shanghai. *Which movie?*

"Mission: Impossible III". 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Pete.

> * Game Show Bankbreakers
> (Money makes the world go round.)

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t2.jpg

> Every so often, a contestant on a game show achieves success on
> a level the show's producers did not anticipate.

> 4. Paul Michael Larson, a fan of *this game show*, worked out that
> the board on which players "spun" for money actually had only a
> few pre-set patterns. He went on the show in 1984 and avoided
> the dreaded "Whammies" for 45 minutes, earning $110,237 US on
> a show that rarely saw winners exceed $10,000. CBS had to cut
> his episode into two parts to air it.

"Press Your Luck". 4 for Joshua, Bruce, and Dan Blum.

> 5. Terry Kneiss came to realize that *this game show*'s prize items
> had their values locked, which made guessing those values a work
> of memorization rather than chance. He went on the show in 2008
> and "guessed" $23,743 US in the final round -- the exact price,
> netting him both his and his opponent's potential grand prize.

"The Price is Right". 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Bruce, and Pete.

> 6. Ken Jennings is the all-time leader in consecutive games
> won on "Jeopardy!", with his winning streak netting him over
> $2,500,000 US. Within 2, *how many games* did he win in
> that streak?

74 (accepting 72-76). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Calvin.
2 for Pete.

> * Video Game Screenshots

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t3.jpg

> This one's pretty simple: we'll give you a screenshot from a
> popular modern video game, and you tell us what game it is.

> 7. *What game?* http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/vid/7.jpg

"Assassin's Creed II". (The "II" was not required, so I accepted
"Assassin's Creed: Venice" for full points.) 4 for Dan Blum.
2 for Calvin.
"Rocket League".
"Splatoon 2". (Again, "2" was not required.)

> * Canadian Musicals
> (Maple syrup, moose, and beer,
> Toques and "ehs" that we hold dear.)

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t4.jpg

> "Come from Away" is only the most recent successful Canadian
> musical. Here are three questions about other Canadian musical
> plays that have been successful on both sides of the border.

> 10. *This parody* of an American musical debuted at the Toronto
> Fringe Festival in 1998 at the Rivoli, and then debuted
> on Broadway in 2006 and then on London's West End in 2008.
> David Mirvish was an early fan and became a financial backer
> of this show (that featured a show-within-a-show).

"The Drowsy Chaperone". 4 for Joshua.

> 11. *This rock musical*, based on a series of movies, debuted
> here at the Tranzac on this very stage in 2003. The creative
> team included George Reinblatt, Christopher Bond, Frank Cipolla
> and Melissa Morris. It played off-Broadway for 7 months
> in 2006, and has since had numerous incarnations, including
> a Vegas production and an Ultimate 4D show that features a
> "splatter zone".

"Evil Dead: The Musical".

> 12. One of the most successful Canadian shows ever, *this play*
> by Ted Dykstra and Richard Greenblatt premiered at the Tarragon
> Theatre in 1995. With help from Mirvish Productions, it ran
> for 6 months off-Broadway before transferring to the Kennedy
> Center in Washington. This two-hander can be performed by
> either two men or two women.

"2 Pianos, 4 Hands".

> * "The Office"
> (We couldn't not do this -- our team name is literally "What
> She Said".)

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/t5.jpg

> Both the British and American versions of "The Office" were
> critical and commercial successes, and their mockumentary,
> single-camera style has inspired many other successful
> comedic shows. Three questions about the best/worst places
> to work in the world.

> 13. The American version of "The Office" takes place in Scranton,
> Pennsylvania. In *what large town in Berkshire* is the original
> British series set?

Slough. 4 for Calvin and Pete.

> 14. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/14.jpg

> What is *this character's full name*?

Dwight K. Schrute. (Middle initial not required.) 4 for Joshua,
Calvin, and Pete.

> 15. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/15.jpg

> These three characters all worked in *which department at
> Dunder Mifflin*?

Accounting. (They're Oscar, Angela, and Kevin.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Ent
Dan Blum 38 22 60
Joshua Kreitzer 23 20 43
Pete Gayde 13 17 30
Bruce Bowler 20 8 28
"Calvin" 11 14 25
Dan Tilque -- 4 4
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader "It really was quite easy; it was the
Toronto explanations and banter that took

Calvin

Jan 6, 2019, 6:38:45 PM1/6/19
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 11:07:52 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> > 15. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/15.jpg
>
> > These three characters all worked in *which department at
> > Dunder Mifflin*?
>
> Accounting. (They're Oscar, Angela, and Kevin.)

Isn't "Finance" close enough for something?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 6, 2019, 6:55:58 PM1/6/19
Mark Brader:
>>> 15. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/off/15.jpg
>>
>>> These three characters all worked in *which department at
>>> Dunder Mifflin*?
>>
>> Accounting. (They're Oscar, Angela, and Kevin.)

"Calvin":
> Isn't "Finance" close enough for something?

I don't think so. But if two other entrants say I should, then I'll
score it as "almost correct".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Domine, defende nos
m...@vex.net | Contra hos motores bos!" -- A. D. Godley