Grupy dyskusyjne Google nie obsługują już nowych postów ani subskrypcji z Usenetu. Treści historyczne nadal będą dostępne.

QFTCIMI520 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: important characters, nuclear

21 wyświetleń

Mark Brader

nieprzeczytany,
30 mar 2020, 03:43:0330.03.2020
do
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-01-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Most Important Characters of 25 Years

In August 2019, the online magazine "Slate" polled critics and
culture-obsessives to come up with a list of the most influential
characters from movies, books, TV, video games, podcasts, tweets,
comics, songs, and musicals. The only rule was that the characters
must have originated in a work of culture sometime in the past
quarter-century. Here's a round about some of Slate's choices.

1. #15 on the list is a character from Barack Obama's favorite
political movie, "Election". Played by Reese Witherspoon,
she is a tightly-wound and ruthlessly dedicated candidate for
student body president. Name her.

2. #11 is the teen vampire heartthrob of Stephenie Meyer's
"Twilight" novels. Played by Robert Pattinson in the movies, he
is the archetypal (and glittery) romance novel hero: handsome,
brooding, utterly devoted, protective, a bit mysterious,
and rich. Name him.

3. #16 is the character played by Michael K. Williams on the TV show
"The Wire". He is an openly gay black man described as the
"Robin Hood of Baltimore". Name him.

4. #1 is the wife of a complex TV anti-hero, shaped by her relation
to a man's misdeeds. With lacquered hair and acrylic nails,
she is equally at home presenting a ricotta pie with pineapple
or scrabbling through a bag of birdseed in pursuit of $40,000
in cash. Name her -- first and last names, please.

5. #12 is the hyper-competent Washington DC fixer played by Kerry
Washington on the TV series "Scandal". She was the first female
black character to lead a prime-time network drama in nearly
40 years. Name her.

6. #6 is not generally a beloved character, although George Lucas
has defiantly named him *his* favorite. The actor who played
him received death threats and contemplated suicide. He remains
the standard by which other irritating characters are assessed.
Name him.

7. #25 is an expert fixer and shadowy manipulator from Hilary
Mantel's novels "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies". Mark
Rylance played him in the 2015 BBC adaptation, as an archetype
of the exercise of power and an often unseen puppet-master.
Name him.

8. #23 is a romantic heroine from TV, an Indian-American woman,
bigger than a size 0, with a penchant for bright colors and a
thriving career as an Ob/Gyn. Name this character.

9. Character #13 is Sadness, a little blue blob with glasses, voiced
by Phyllis Smith, who helped kids (and their parents) understand
the value of mourning and the cleansing power of a good cry.
Name the *Pixar movie* that featured the character Sadness.

10. #21 is Sarah Koenig, the amateur PI of a podcast which
scrutinized the murder of high-schooler Hae Min Lee, allegedly
by her boyfriend Adnan Syed. Name the *podcast*.

* Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Reactions and Reactors

1. It is well known that Canada has developed a type of reactor
called the CANDU. What does the letter D stand for in CANDU?

2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13
for the next two. Jung vf gur anzr pbzzbayl tvira gb jngre
gung pbagnvaf qrhgrevhz ngbzf vafgrnq bs nyy bs gur beqvanel
ulqebtra ngbzf?

3. Gb gur arnerfg jubyr creprag naq jvguva 2 crepragntr cbvagf,
ubj znal creprag urnivre vf <nafjre 3> guna abezny jngre?

Now please decode the rot13 for question #4 only after you are finished
with questions #1-3.

4. Gheavat sebz urnil gb yvtug jngre, gurer ner 3 glcrf bs
yvtug-jngre ernpgbef. Gjb bs gurz ner obvyvat-jngre ernpgbef
naq fhcrepevgvpny-jngre ernpgbef. Anzr gur *bgure* glcr bs
yvtug-jngre ernpgbe, juvpu vf sbhaq va gur ynetr znwbevgl bs
gur jbeyq'f ahpyrne cbjre cynagf.

5. An alternative to uranium can be used as a source of nuclear fuel
in a reactor. There is about 4 times more of this alternative
in the Earth's crust than uranium, and its half-life is longer
than uranium's. It does not undergo fission itself in the
reactor, but is first transmuted into uranium-233. What is it?

6. On 1938-12-17, two scientists working together obtained a result
that they did not understand. One of them wrote to a former
colleague, who did understand -- they had discovered nuclear
fission. In what country was experiment done?

7. In Einstein's equation now written "E = mc²", the C may be
understood as the initial of a Latin-derived word in English.
What word is that?

8. The US built three nuclear bombs in 1945. Two were used in
Japan and one was exploded as a test near Alamagordo, New Mexico,
as part of the Manhattan Project. What was the code name for
this detonation?

9. What is the name given to the combining of atomic nuclei, usually
in pairs, to create a heavier nucleus of a different element?

10. What is the familial name given to the large fragments left
after fission that can form the nuclei of new atoms?

--
Mark Brader "...living through a coup involves a lot of
Toronto sitting around refreshing web pages."

Calvin

nieprzeczytany,
30 mar 2020, 06:26:4030.03.2020
do
Mrs Soprano I guess but can't recall her given name

> 5. #12 is the hyper-competent Washington DC fixer played by Kerry
> Washington on the TV series "Scandal". She was the first female
> black character to lead a prime-time network drama in nearly
> 40 years. Name her.
>
> 6. #6 is not generally a beloved character, although George Lucas
> has defiantly named him *his* favorite. The actor who played
> him received death threats and contemplated suicide. He remains
> the standard by which other irritating characters are assessed.
> Name him.

Jar Jar Binks

> 7. #25 is an expert fixer and shadowy manipulator from Hilary
> Mantel's novels "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies". Mark
> Rylance played him in the 2015 BBC adaptation, as an archetype
> of the exercise of power and an often unseen puppet-master.
> Name him.

Cromwell

> 8. #23 is a romantic heroine from TV, an Indian-American woman,
> bigger than a size 0, with a penchant for bright colors and a
> thriving career as an Ob/Gyn. Name this character.
>
> 9. Character #13 is Sadness, a little blue blob with glasses, voiced
> by Phyllis Smith, who helped kids (and their parents) understand
> the value of mourning and the cleansing power of a good cry.
> Name the *Pixar movie* that featured the character Sadness.

Inside Out

> 10. #21 is Sarah Koenig, the amateur PI of a podcast which
> scrutinized the murder of high-schooler Hae Min Lee, allegedly
> by her boyfriend Adnan Syed. Name the *podcast*.
>

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Reactions and Reactors
>
> 1. It is well known that Canada has developed a type of reactor
> called the CANDU. What does the letter D stand for in CANDU?
>
> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13
> for the next two. Jung vf gur anzr pbzzbayl tvira gb jngre
> gung pbagnvaf qrhgrevhz ngbzf vafgrnq bs nyy bs gur beqvanel
> ulqebtra ngbzf?

Heavy water

> 3. Gb gur arnerfg jubyr creprag naq jvguva 2 crepragntr cbvagf,
> ubj znal creprag urnivre vf <nafjre 3> guna abezny jngre?

20%

> Now please decode the rot13 for question #4 only after you are finished
> with questions #1-3.
>
> 4. Gheavat sebz urnil gb yvtug jngre, gurer ner 3 glcrf bs
> yvtug-jngre ernpgbef. Gjb bs gurz ner obvyvat-jngre ernpgbef
> naq fhcrepevgvpny-jngre ernpgbef. Anzr gur *bgure* glcr bs
> yvtug-jngre ernpgbe, juvpu vf sbhaq va gur ynetr znwbevgl bs
> gur jbeyq'f ahpyrne cbjre cynagf.
>
> 5. An alternative to uranium can be used as a source of nuclear fuel
> in a reactor. There is about 4 times more of this alternative
> in the Earth's crust than uranium, and its half-life is longer
> than uranium's. It does not undergo fission itself in the
> reactor, but is first transmuted into uranium-233. What is it?

Polonium, Radium

> 6. On 1938-12-17, two scientists working together obtained a result
> that they did not understand. One of them wrote to a former
> colleague, who did understand -- they had discovered nuclear
> fission. In what country was experiment done?

Germany, France

> 7. In Einstein's equation now written "E = mc²", the C may be
> understood as the initial of a Latin-derived word in English.
> What word is that?
>
> 8. The US built three nuclear bombs in 1945. Two were used in
> Japan and one was exploded as a test near Alamagordo, New Mexico,
> as part of the Manhattan Project. What was the code name for
> this detonation?
>
> 9. What is the name given to the combining of atomic nuclei, usually
> in pairs, to create a heavier nucleus of a different element?

Nuclear fusion

> 10. What is the familial name given to the large fragments left
> after fission that can form the nuclei of new atoms?

Alpha particles

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

nieprzeczytany,
30 mar 2020, 08:29:2130.03.2020
do
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Most Important Characters of 25
> Years
>
> In August 2019, the online magazine "Slate" polled critics and
> culture-obsessives to come up with a list of the most influential
> characters from movies, books, TV, video games, podcasts, tweets,
> comics, songs, and musicals. The only rule was that the characters
> must have originated in a work of culture sometime in the past
> quarter-century. Here's a round about some of Slate's choices.
>
> 1. #15 on the list is a character from Barack Obama's favorite
> political movie, "Election". Played by Reese Witherspoon,
> she is a tightly-wound and ruthlessly dedicated candidate for
> student body president. Name her.

Tracy Flick

> 2. #11 is the teen vampire heartthrob of Stephenie Meyer's
> "Twilight" novels. Played by Robert Pattinson in the movies, he
> is the archetypal (and glittery) romance novel hero: handsome,
> brooding, utterly devoted, protective, a bit mysterious,
> and rich. Name him.

Edward

> 6. #6 is not generally a beloved character, although George Lucas
> has defiantly named him *his* favorite. The actor who played
> him received death threats and contemplated suicide. He remains
> the standard by which other irritating characters are assessed.
> Name him.

Jar Jar Binks

> 8. #23 is a romantic heroine from TV, an Indian-American woman,
> bigger than a size 0, with a penchant for bright colors and a
> thriving career as an Ob/Gyn. Name this character.

Mindy Lahiri

> 9. Character #13 is Sadness, a little blue blob with glasses, voiced
> by Phyllis Smith, who helped kids (and their parents) understand
> the value of mourning and the cleansing power of a good cry.
> Name the *Pixar movie* that featured the character Sadness.

"Inside Out"

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Reactions and Reactors
>
> 1. It is well known that Canada has developed a type of reactor
> called the CANDU. What does the letter D stand for in CANDU?

deuterium

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13
> for the next two. Jung vf gur anzr pbzzbayl tvira gb jngre
> gung pbagnvaf qrhgrevhz ngbzf vafgrnq bs nyy bs gur beqvanel
> ulqebtra ngbzf?

heavy water

> 5. An alternative to uranium can be used as a source of nuclear fuel
> in a reactor. There is about 4 times more of this alternative
> in the Earth's crust than uranium, and its half-life is longer
> than uranium's. It does not undergo fission itself in the
> reactor, but is first transmuted into uranium-233. What is it?

thorium

> 7. In Einstein's equation now written "E = mc²", the C may be
> understood as the initial of a Latin-derived word in English.
> What word is that?

celerity

> 8. The US built three nuclear bombs in 1945. Two were used in
> Japan and one was exploded as a test near Alamagordo, New Mexico,
> as part of the Manhattan Project. What was the code name for
> this detonation?

Trinity

> 9. What is the name given to the combining of atomic nuclei, usually
> in pairs, to create a heavier nucleus of a different element?

fusion

> 10. What is the familial name given to the large fragments left
> after fission that can form the nuclei of new atoms?

daughter elements

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

nieprzeczytany,
30 mar 2020, 09:14:0130.03.2020
do
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Most Important Characters of 25 Years

> 1. #15 on the list is a character from Barack Obama's favorite
> political movie, "Election". Played by Reese Witherspoon,
> she is a tightly-wound and ruthlessly dedicated candidate for
> student body president. Name her.

Tracy Flick

> 2. #11 is the teen vampire heartthrob of Stephenie Meyer's
> "Twilight" novels. Played by Robert Pattinson in the movies, he
> is the archetypal (and glittery) romance novel hero: handsome,
> brooding, utterly devoted, protective, a bit mysterious,
> and rich. Name him.

Edward Cullen

> 4. #1 is the wife of a complex TV anti-hero, shaped by her relation
> to a man's misdeeds. With lacquered hair and acrylic nails,
> she is equally at home presenting a ricotta pie with pineapple
> or scrabbling through a bag of birdseed in pursuit of $40,000
> in cash. Name her -- first and last names, please.

Carlotta Soprano

> 6. #6 is not generally a beloved character, although George Lucas
> has defiantly named him *his* favorite. The actor who played
> him received death threats and contemplated suicide. He remains
> the standard by which other irritating characters are assessed.
> Name him.

Jar-Jar Binks

> 7. #25 is an expert fixer and shadowy manipulator from Hilary
> Mantel's novels "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies". Mark
> Rylance played him in the 2015 BBC adaptation, as an archetype
> of the exercise of power and an often unseen puppet-master.
> Name him.

Thomas Cromwell

> 8. #23 is a romantic heroine from TV, an Indian-American woman,
> bigger than a size 0, with a penchant for bright colors and a
> thriving career as an Ob/Gyn. Name this character.

Mindy Lahiri

> 9. Character #13 is Sadness, a little blue blob with glasses, voiced
> by Phyllis Smith, who helped kids (and their parents) understand
> the value of mourning and the cleansing power of a good cry.
> Name the *Pixar movie* that featured the character Sadness.

Inside Out

> 10. #21 is Sarah Koenig, the amateur PI of a podcast which
> scrutinized the murder of high-schooler Hae Min Lee, allegedly
> by her boyfriend Adnan Syed. Name the *podcast*.

Serial

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Reactions and Reactors

> 1. It is well known that Canada has developed a type of reactor
> called the CANDU. What does the letter D stand for in CANDU?

deuterium

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13
> for the next two. Jung vf gur anzr pbzzbayl tvira gb jngre
> gung pbagnvaf qrhgrevhz ngbzf vafgrnq bs nyy bs gur beqvanel
> ulqebtra ngbzf?

heavy water

> 3. Gb gur arnerfg jubyr creprag naq jvguva 2 crepragntr cbvagf,
> ubj znal creprag urnivre vf <nafjre 3> guna abezny jngre?

6 percent

> 5. An alternative to uranium can be used as a source of nuclear fuel
> in a reactor. There is about 4 times more of this alternative
> in the Earth's crust than uranium, and its half-life is longer
> than uranium's. It does not undergo fission itself in the
> reactor, but is first transmuted into uranium-233. What is it?

thorium

> 6. On 1938-12-17, two scientists working together obtained a result
> that they did not understand. One of them wrote to a former
> colleague, who did understand -- they had discovered nuclear
> fission. In what country was experiment done?

Germany; Italy

> 8. The US built three nuclear bombs in 1945. Two were used in
> Japan and one was exploded as a test near Alamagordo, New Mexico,
> as part of the Manhattan Project. What was the code name for
> this detonation?

Trinity

> 9. What is the name given to the combining of atomic nuclei, usually
> in pairs, to create a heavier nucleus of a different element?

fusion

> 10. What is the familial name given to the large fragments left
> after fission that can form the nuclei of new atoms?

children

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

nieprzeczytany,
30 mar 2020, 11:36:2030.03.2020
do
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Reactions and Reactors
>
> 1. It is well known that Canada has developed a type of reactor
> called the CANDU. What does the letter D stand for in CANDU?

Deutrium?

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13
> for the next two. Jung vf gur anzr pbzzbayl tvira gb jngre
> gung pbagnvaf qrhgrevhz ngbzf vafgrnq bs nyy bs gur beqvanel
> ulqebtra ngbzf?

Heavy water

> 3. Gb gur arnerfg jubyr creprag naq jvguva 2 crepragntr cbvagf,
> ubj znal creprag urnivre vf <nafjre 3> guna abezny jngre?

11 %

> 4. Gheavat sebz urnil gb yvtug jngre, gurer ner 3 glcrf bs
> yvtug-jngre ernpgbef. Gjb bs gurz ner obvyvat-jngre ernpgbef
> naq fhcrepevgvpny-jngre ernpgbef. Anzr gur *bgure* glcr bs
> yvtug-jngre ernpgbe, juvpu vf sbhaq va gur ynetr znwbevgl bs
> gur jbeyq'f ahpyrne cbjre cynagf.

Pressurised water

> 5. An alternative to uranium can be used as a source of nuclear fuel
> in a reactor. There is about 4 times more of this alternative
> in the Earth's crust than uranium, and its half-life is longer
> than uranium's. It does not undergo fission itself in the
> reactor, but is first transmuted into uranium-233. What is it?

Torium

(Really 4 times more than uranium? Or four times more than U-235?)

> 6. On 1938-12-17, two scientists working together obtained a result
> that they did not understand. One of them wrote to a former
> colleague, who did understand -- they had discovered nuclear
> fission. In what country was experiment done?

USA

> 7. In Einstein's equation now written "E = mc²", the C may be
> understood as the initial of a Latin-derived word in English.
> What word is that?

Candlelight

> 9. What is the name given to the combining of atomic nuclei, usually
> in pairs, to create a heavier nucleus of a different element?

fusion

swp

nieprzeczytany,
30 mar 2020, 18:22:0930.03.2020
do
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 3:43:03 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Most Important Characters of 25 Years
>
> In August 2019, the online magazine "Slate" polled critics and
> culture-obsessives to come up with a list of the most influential
> characters from movies, books, TV, video games, podcasts, tweets,
> comics, songs, and musicals. The only rule was that the characters
> must have originated in a work of culture sometime in the past
> quarter-century. Here's a round about some of Slate's choices.

their naked hatred of white males and conservatives is well known.
#2 was donald trump as an orange genii, #20 was thomas jefferson potrayed as a black man

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Reactions and Reactors
>
> 1. It is well known that Canada has developed a type of reactor
> called the CANDU. What does the letter D stand for in CANDU?

deuterium

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13
> for the next two. What is the name commonly given to water
> that contains deuterium atoms instead of all of the ordinary
> hydrogen atoms?

heavy water

> 3. To the nearest whole percent and within 2 percentage points,
> how many percent heavier is <answer 3> than normal water?

10%

> Now please decode the rot13 for question #4 only after you are finished
> with questions #1-3.
>
> 4. Turning from heavy to light water, there are 3 types of
> light-water reactors. Two of them are boiling-water reactors
> and supercritical-water reactors. Name the *other* type of
> light-water reactor, which is found in the large majority of
> the world's nuclear power plants.

pressurized-water reactor

> 5. An alternative to uranium can be used as a source of nuclear fuel
> in a reactor. There is about 4 times more of this alternative
> in the Earth's crust than uranium, and its half-life is longer
> than uranium's. It does not undergo fission itself in the
> reactor, but is first transmuted into uranium-233. What is it?

thorium

> 6. On 1938-12-17, two scientists working together obtained a result
> that they did not understand. One of them wrote to a former
> colleague, who did understand -- they had discovered nuclear
> fission. In what country was experiment done?

germany (berlin, german at the kaiser wilhelm institute)

> 7. In Einstein's equation now written "E = mc²", the C may be
> understood as the initial of a Latin-derived word in English.
> What word is that?

celeritas became celerity in english

> 8. The US built three nuclear bombs in 1945. Two were used in
> Japan and one was exploded as a test near Alamagordo, New Mexico,
> as part of the Manhattan Project. What was the code name for
> this detonation?

trinity

> 9. What is the name given to the combining of atomic nuclei, usually
> in pairs, to create a heavier nucleus of a different element?

fusion

> 10. What is the familial name given to the large fragments left
> after fission that can form the nuclei of new atoms?

(delayed neutron) precursors

> --
> Mark Brader "...living through a coup involves a lot of
> Toronto sitting around refreshing web pages."
> m...@vex.net --Harriet Boulding
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Pete Gayde

nieprzeczytany,
31 mar 2020, 22:22:5931.03.2020
do
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:0t2dnXey4f-fPhzDnZ2dnUU7-
Y3N...@giganews.com:
Jar Jar Binks

> 7. #25 is an expert fixer and shadowy manipulator from Hilary
> Mantel's novels "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies". Mark
> Rylance played him in the 2015 BBC adaptation, as an archetype
> of the exercise of power and an often unseen puppet-master.
> Name him.
>
> 8. #23 is a romantic heroine from TV, an Indian-American woman,
> bigger than a size 0, with a penchant for bright colors and a
> thriving career as an Ob/Gyn. Name this character.
>
> 9. Character #13 is Sadness, a little blue blob with glasses, voiced
> by Phyllis Smith, who helped kids (and their parents) understand
> the value of mourning and the cleansing power of a good cry.
> Name the *Pixar movie* that featured the character Sadness.
>
> 10. #21 is Sarah Koenig, the amateur PI of a podcast which
> scrutinized the murder of high-schooler Hae Min Lee, allegedly
> by her boyfriend Adnan Syed. Name the *podcast*.

Serial

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Reactions and Reactors
>
> 1. It is well known that Canada has developed a type of reactor
> called the CANDU. What does the letter D stand for in CANDU?
>
> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13
> for the next two. Jung vf gur anzr pbzzbayl tvira gb jngre
> gung pbagnvaf qrhgrevhz ngbzf vafgrnq bs nyy bs gur beqvanel
> ulqebtra ngbzf?

Heavy water

> 3. Gb gur arnerfg jubyr creprag naq jvguva 2 crepragntr cbvagf,
> ubj znal creprag urnivre vf <nafjre 3> guna abezny jngre?

10; 15

> Now please decode the rot13 for question #4 only after you are
finished
> with questions #1-3.
>
> 4. Gheavat sebz urnil gb yvtug jngre, gurer ner 3 glcrf bs
> yvtug-jngre ernpgbef. Gjb bs gurz ner obvyvat-jngre ernpgbef
> naq fhcrepevgvpny-jngre ernpgbef. Anzr gur *bgure* glcr bs
> yvtug-jngre ernpgbe, juvpu vf sbhaq va gur ynetr znwbevgl bs
> gur jbeyq'f ahpyrne cbjre cynagf.
>
> 5. An alternative to uranium can be used as a source of nuclear fuel
> in a reactor. There is about 4 times more of this alternative
> in the Earth's crust than uranium, and its half-life is longer
> than uranium's. It does not undergo fission itself in the
> reactor, but is first transmuted into uranium-233. What is it?
>
> 6. On 1938-12-17, two scientists working together obtained a result
> that they did not understand. One of them wrote to a former
> colleague, who did understand -- they had discovered nuclear
> fission. In what country was experiment done?

Denmark; Germany

> 7. In Einstein's equation now written "E = mc²", the C may be
> understood as the initial of a Latin-derived word in English.
> What word is that?
>
> 8. The US built three nuclear bombs in 1945. Two were used in
> Japan and one was exploded as a test near Alamagordo, New Mexico,
> as part of the Manhattan Project. What was the code name for
> this detonation?
>
> 9. What is the name given to the combining of atomic nuclei, usually
> in pairs, to create a heavier nucleus of a different element?
>
> 10. What is the familial name given to the large fragments left
> after fission that can form the nuclei of new atoms?

Pete Gayde

Bruce Bowler

nieprzeczytany,
1 kwi 2020, 09:04:251.04.2020
do
On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 02:42:58 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty.
> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or
> edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Most Important Characters of 25
> Years

nope

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Reactions and Reactors
>
> 1. It is well known that Canada has developed a type of reactor
> called the CANDU. What does the letter D stand for in CANDU?

deuterium

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13
> for the next two. Jung vf gur anzr pbzzbayl tvira gb jngre gung
> pbagnvaf qrhgrevhz ngbzf vafgrnq bs nyy bs gur beqvanel ulqebtra
> ngbzf?

heavy water

> 3. Gb gur arnerfg jubyr creprag naq jvguva 2 crepragntr cbvagf,
> ubj znal creprag urnivre vf <nafjre 3> guna abezny jngre?

10%

> Now please decode the rot13 for question #4 only after you are finished
> with questions #1-3.
>
> 4. Gheavat sebz urnil gb yvtug jngre, gurer ner 3 glcrf bs
> yvtug-jngre ernpgbef. Gjb bs gurz ner obvyvat-jngre ernpgbef naq
> fhcrepevgvpny-jngre ernpgbef. Anzr gur *bgure* glcr bs yvtug-jngre
> ernpgbe, juvpu vf sbhaq va gur ynetr znwbevgl bs gur jbeyq'f ahpyrne
> cbjre cynagf.

Pressurized water reactor

> 5. An alternative to uranium can be used as a source of nuclear fuel
> in a reactor. There is about 4 times more of this alternative in the
> Earth's crust than uranium, and its half-life is longer than
> uranium's. It does not undergo fission itself in the reactor, but is
> first transmuted into uranium-233. What is it?

Plutonium

> 6. On 1938-12-17, two scientists working together obtained a result
> that they did not understand. One of them wrote to a former
> colleague, who did understand -- they had discovered nuclear fission.
> In what country was experiment done?
>
> 7. In Einstein's equation now written "E = mc²", the C may be
> understood as the initial of a Latin-derived word in English. What
> word is that?

swift

> 8. The US built three nuclear bombs in 1945. Two were used in
> Japan and one was exploded as a test near Alamagordo, New Mexico,
> as part of the Manhattan Project. What was the code name for this
> detonation?

Trinity

> 9. What is the name given to the combining of atomic nuclei, usually
> in pairs, to create a heavier nucleus of a different element?

Fusion

Mark Brader

nieprzeczytany,
1 kwi 2020, 16:44:361.04.2020
do
Erland Sommarskog:
> (Really 4 times more than uranium?...)

Yes, really. More or less, anyway; different sources give somewhat
different numbers.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I will take your word for it: this is very amusing."
m...@vex.net | --"Suddenly Human", ST:TNG, Phillips/Whelpley/Taylor

Mark Brader

nieprzeczytany,
2 kwi 2020, 02:41:482.04.2020
do
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-01-27,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Entertainment - Most Important Characters of 25 Years

> In August 2019, the online magazine "Slate" polled critics and
> culture-obsessives to come up with a list of the most influential
> characters from movies, books, TV, video games, podcasts, tweets,
> comics, songs, and musicals. The only rule was that the characters
> must have originated in a work of culture sometime in the past
> quarter-century. Here's a round about some of Slate's choices.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. #15 on the list is a character from Barack Obama's favorite
> political movie, "Election". Played by Reese Witherspoon,
> she is a tightly-wound and ruthlessly dedicated candidate for
> student body president. Name her.

Tracy Flick. (1999 movie.) 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 2. #11 is the teen vampire heartthrob of Stephenie Meyer's
> "Twilight" novels. Played by Robert Pattinson in the movies, he
> is the archetypal (and glittery) romance novel hero: handsome,
> brooding, utterly devoted, protective, a bit mysterious,
> and rich. Name him.

Edward Cullen. (First novel "Twilight", 2005. As usual the surname
was required.) 4 for Dan.

> 3. #16 is the character played by Michael K. Williams on the TV show
> "The Wire". He is an openly gay black man described as the
> "Robin Hood of Baltimore". Name him.

Omar Little. (2002-08 series.)

> 4. #1 is the wife of a complex TV anti-hero, shaped by her relation
> to a man's misdeeds. With lacquered hair and acrylic nails,
> she is equally at home presenting a ricotta pie with pineapple
> or scrabbling through a bag of birdseed in pursuit of $40,000
> in cash. Name her -- first and last names, please.

Carmela Soprano. ("The Sopranos", 1999-2007 series. I scored
"Carlotta Soprano" as almost correct.) 3 for Dan.

> 5. #12 is the hyper-competent Washington DC fixer played by Kerry
> Washington on the TV series "Scandal". She was the first female
> black character to lead a prime-time network drama in nearly
> 40 years. Name her.

Olivia Pope. (2012-18 series.)

> 6. #6 is not generally a beloved character, although George Lucas
> has defiantly named him *his* favorite. The actor who played
> him received death threats and contemplated suicide. He remains
> the standard by which other irritating characters are assessed.
> Name him.

Jar Jar Binks. (Introduced in the fourth "Star Wars" movie,
"Episode I: The Phantom Menace", 1999.) 4 for Calvin, Joshua,
Dan, and Pete.

> 7. #25 is an expert fixer and shadowy manipulator from Hilary
> Mantel's novels "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies". Mark
> Rylance played him in the 2015 BBC adaptation, as an archetype
> of the exercise of power and an often unseen puppet-master.
> Name him.

Thomas Cromwell. (First novel 2009, and yeah, we're talking about
a real person from 16th-century politics.) 4 for Calvin and Dan.

> 8. #23 is a romantic heroine from TV, an Indian-American woman,
> bigger than a size 0, with a penchant for bright colors and a
> thriving career as an Ob/Gyn. Name this character.

Mindy Lahiri. ("The Mindy Project", 2012-17 series.) 4 for Joshua
and Dan.

> 9. Character #13 is Sadness, a little blue blob with glasses, voiced
> by Phyllis Smith, who helped kids (and their parents) understand
> the value of mourning and the cleansing power of a good cry.
> Name the *Pixar movie* that featured the character Sadness.

"Inside Out". (2015.) 4 for Calvin, Joshua, and Dan.

> 10. #21 is Sarah Koenig, the amateur PI of a podcast which
> scrutinized the murder of high-schooler Hae Min Lee, allegedly
> by her boyfriend Adnan Syed. Name the *podcast*.

"Serial". (Began 1999.) 4 for Dan and Pete.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Reactions and Reactors

> 1. It is well known that Canada has developed a type of reactor
> called the CANDU. What does the letter D stand for in CANDU?

Deuterium. ("Canada Deuterium-Uranium" reactor.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan, Erland, Stephen, and Bruce.

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13
> for the next two. What is the name commonly given to water
> that contains deuterium atoms instead of all of the ordinary
> hydrogen atoms?

Heavy water. 4 for everyone -- Calvin, Joshua, Dan, Erland, Stephen,
Pete, and Bruce.

> 3. To the nearest whole percent and within 2 percentage points,
> how many percent heavier is <answer 3> than normal water?

11% (accepting 9-13%). 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Bruce. 3 for Pete.

> Now please decode the rot13 for question #4 only after you are finished
> with questions #1-3.

> 4. Turning from heavy to light water, there are 3 types of
> light-water reactors. Two of them are boiling-water reactors
> and supercritical-water reactors. Name the *other* type of
> light-water reactor, which is found in the large majority of
> the world's nuclear power plants.

Pressurized-water reactor. 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Bruce.

> 5. An alternative to uranium can be used as a source of nuclear fuel
> in a reactor. There is about 4 times more of this alternative
> in the Earth's crust than uranium, and its half-life is longer
> than uranium's. It does not undergo fission itself in the
> reactor, but is first transmuted into uranium-233. What is it?

Thorium. 4 for Joshua, Dan, Erland, and Stephen.

> 6. On 1938-12-17, two scientists working together obtained a result
> that they did not understand. One of them wrote to a former
> colleague, who did understand -- they had discovered nuclear
> fission. In what country was experiment done?

Germany. (Kaiser Wilhelm Institute, Berlin.) 4 for Stephen.
3 for Calvin and Dan. 2 for Pete.

Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann did the experiment; Lise Meitner,
who had moved to Sweden to escape the Nazis, received the letter.

> 7. In Einstein's equation now written "E = mc²", the C may be
> understood as the initial of a Latin-derived word in English.
> What word is that?

Celerity. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 8. The US built three nuclear bombs in 1945. Two were used in
> Japan and one was exploded as a test near Alamagordo, New Mexico,
> as part of the Manhattan Project. What was the code name for
> this detonation?

Trinity. 4 for Joshua, Dan, Stephen, and Bruce.

> 9. What is the name given to the combining of atomic nuclei, usually
> in pairs, to create a heavier nucleus of a different element?

Fusion. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Dan, Erland, Stephen, and Bruce.

> 10. What is the familial name given to the large fragments left
> after fission that can form the nuclei of new atoms?

Daughter nuclei (or particles, etc.). 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Geo Ent Sci
Dan Blum 20 40 31 23 114
Stephen Perry 24 40 0 36 100
Joshua Kreitzer 16 40 16 28 100
Erland Sommarskog 24 40 0 24 88
"Calvin" 18 40 12 11 81
Pete Gayde 20 40 8 9 77
Bruce Bowler 12 40 0 24 76
Dan Tilque 16 40 -- -- 56

Erland Sommarskog

nieprzeczytany,
2 kwi 2020, 14:26:152.04.2020
do
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> (Really 4 times more than uranium?...)
>
> Yes, really. More or less, anyway; different sources give somewhat
> different numbers.

For some reason I was under the impression that U-238 matched at least
of the "magic numbers" for nuclear stability, whence my reaction. But I
realised (and also looked it up) that I was confused on this point. With 92
protonss and 146 neutrons, U-238 matches none of these numbers.

I also see that the most stable Thorium isotope (Th-232) is more long-lived
than U-238.

Mark Brader

nieprzeczytany,
2 kwi 2020, 14:59:142.04.2020
do
Erland Sommarskog:
>>> (Really 4 times more than uranium?...)

Mark Brader:
>> Yes, really. More or less, anyway; different sources give somewhat
>> different numbers.

Erland Sommarskog:
> For some reason I was under the impression that U-238 matched at least
> of the "magic numbers" for nuclear stability, whence my reaction. But I
> realised (and also looked it up) that I was confused on this point. With 92
> protonss and 146 neutrons, U-238 matches none of these numbers.

Well, at least both numbers are even, which is generally more stable than
if they were odd.

> I also see that the most stable Thorium isotope (Th-232) is more long-lived
> than U-238.

The significance of thorium is that if it absorbs a neutron, Th-232 decays
first into Pa-233 and then into U-233, which is fissile -- like the process
by which fissile Pu-239 can be made from U-238.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Oh what a tangled web we weave,
m...@vex.net | a literate geekiness to achieve." --Steve Summit