QFTCIRS Game 8, Rounds 9-10: chess, 11/11 challenge

Mark Brader

Jan 23, 2020, 1:28:30 AM1/23/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-11-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 8, Round 9 - Leisure - Chess

1. Who is the current top-ranked grandmaster in the world?

2. Name the chess-playing computer that became the first computer
to beat a human reigning world champion in a chess game under
regular time controls.

3. Which world champion did <answer 2> beat?

4. What is the smallest number of moves in a game (by each side)
required to achieve a checkmate?

5. In computer programming, a common assignment is a chess puzzle
called a knight's tour. What does the knight have to do to
complete the knight's tour?

6. If a pawn makes its initial move of two squares, but there is
an enemy pawn that *could have captured it if it had only moved
one square*, then it can still be captured by the enemy pawn
provided that this is done immediately on the following turn.
What is this special pawn capture called?

7. What is the only action in chess where two pieces are moved on
the same turn?

8. This chess-playing automaton toured for decades, beating scores
of people including Napoleon Bonaparte and Benjamin Franklin.
It was of course a hoax, and controlled by a person hiding
within the mechanism. But what was it called?

9. The word "checkmate" comes from the Persian phrase "shah mat",
which translates to what?

10. What is it called when a chess opening involves the sacrifice of
a piece, usually a pawn, with the hope of achieving an
advantageous position?

** Game 8, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Canada Remembers

* A. War Artists from the Group of 7

In each case name them.

A1. He was commissioned into the army as a war artist in January
1918, and accompanied Canadian troops in the Hundred Days
offensive from Amiens, France, to Mons, Belgium. His
paintings of combat are based on his experiences at the
front. Among his wartime works are "Some Day the People
Will Return", "For What", and "German Prisoners".

A2. This Group of 7 member enlisted as a private in the infantry,
and fought in the battle at Ypres before being wounded.
After his recovery, he served as a war artist from 1917 to
1919. Among his war time works are "Springtime at Picardy",
"Gas Attack, Liévin", and "A Copse, Evening".

* B. Weapons of War

(Some non-Canadiana seems to have slipped into the round here.)

B1. This weapon has a long history of use as a blister-agent,
causing blisters on exposed skin and in the lungs. The name
is in fact a misnomer, as it is dispersed as a fine mist of
liquid droplets. As a weapon, it is usually yellowish-brown
and gets its name from its odor. Name it.

B2. What was the nickname of the *second* atomic bomb dropped
by the USAF, on Nagasaki?

* C. "In Flanders Fields"

We will quote two lines of the poem; you give the next one,
which in each case is 8 words.

C1. Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw...

C2. We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow...

* D. The Great War

D1. Which WW1 battle is often cited as the beginning of a
Canadian identity separate from that of Great Britain?

D2. Canada's-worst ever epidemic was spread by troops returning
from overseas at the end of the war. 50,000 Canadians died
during the epidemic. What was the disease?

* E. Canadian War-Themed Movies

Name them.

E1. 2002 Canadian-French historical drama about a film crew
in Toronto making a film based loosely on the 1915 defense
of Van during the Armenian genocide. Written by Atom
Egoyan and starring Charles Aznavour, Christopher Plummer,
and Arsinée Khanjian. Name the film.

E2. 2008 The lives of a troubled veteran, his nurse girlfriend,
and a naïve boy intersect first in Alberta and later
in Belgium. Written by Paul Gross and starring himself,
Caroline Dhavernas, and Joe Dinicol.

* F. Names for Today

F1. Prior to being renamed "Remembrance Day" in 1931, by what
name was the occasion known?

F2. The US also called it <answer F1> -- until 1954, when they
changed the name to what?

--
Mark Brader | ...politicians are forever seeking a "level playing field":
Toronto | it lets them talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Dan Blum

Jan 23, 2020, 9:37:02 AM1/23/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Leisure - Chess

> 2. Name the chess-playing computer that became the first computer
> to beat a human reigning world champion in a chess game under
> regular time controls.

Deep Blue

> 3. Which world champion did <answer 2> beat?

Kasparov

> 5. In computer programming, a common assignment is a chess puzzle
> called a knight's tour. What does the knight have to do to
> complete the knight's tour?

visit every space on the board

> 6. If a pawn makes its initial move of two squares, but there is
> an enemy pawn that *could have captured it if it had only moved
> one square*, then it can still be captured by the enemy pawn
> provided that this is done immediately on the following turn.
> What is this special pawn capture called?

en passant

> 7. What is the only action in chess where two pieces are moved on
> the same turn?

castling

> 8. This chess-playing automaton toured for decades, beating scores
> of people including Napoleon Bonaparte and Benjamin Franklin.
> It was of course a hoax, and controlled by a person hiding
> within the mechanism. But what was it called?

Mechanical Turk

> 9. The word "checkmate" comes from the Persian phrase "shah mat",
> which translates to what?

the king is dead

> 10. What is it called when a chess opening involves the sacrifice of
> a piece, usually a pawn, with the hope of achieving an
> advantageous position?

gambit

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Canada Remembers

> * B. Weapons of War

> B1. This weapon has a long history of use as a blister-agent,
> causing blisters on exposed skin and in the lungs. The name
> is in fact a misnomer, as it is dispersed as a fine mist of
> liquid droplets. As a weapon, it is usually yellowish-brown
> and gets its name from its odor. Name it.

mustard gas

> B2. What was the nickname of the *second* atomic bomb dropped
> by the USAF, on Nagasaki?

Little Boy

> * D. The Great War

> D2. Canada's-worst ever epidemic was spread by troops returning
> from overseas at the end of the war. 50,000 Canadians died
> during the epidemic. What was the disease?

Spanish flu

> * F. Names for Today

> F1. Prior to being renamed "Remembrance Day" in 1931, by what
> name was the occasion known?

Armistice Day

> F2. The US also called it <answer F1> -- until 1954, when they
> changed the name to what?

Veterans Day

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 23, 2020, 2:13:42 PM1/23/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. Who is the current top-ranked grandmaster in the world?

Magnus Carlsen

> 2. Name the chess-playing computer that became the first computer
> to beat a human reigning world champion in a chess game under
> regular time controls.

Deep Thought

> 3. Which world champion did <answer 2> beat?

Karpov

> 4. What is the smallest number of moves in a game (by each side)
> required to achieve a checkmate?

Three

> 5. In computer programming, a common assignment is a chess puzzle
> called a knight's tour. What does the knight have to do to
> complete the knight's tour?

Visit all same-coloured squares on the board.

> 6. If a pawn makes its initial move of two squares, but there is
> an enemy pawn that *could have captured it if it had only moved
> one square*, then it can still be captured by the enemy pawn
> provided that this is done immediately on the following turn.
> What is this special pawn capture called?

En passant

> 7. What is the only action in chess where two pieces are moved on
> the same turn?

Casting

> 9. The word "checkmate" comes from the Persian phrase "shah mat",
> which translates to what?

King dead

> 10. What is it called when a chess opening involves the sacrifice of
> a piece, usually a pawn, with the hope of achieving an
> advantageous position?

Gambit

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Canada Remembers
>
> B1. This weapon has a long history of use as a blister-agent,
> causing blisters on exposed skin and in the lungs. The name
> is in fact a misnomer, as it is dispersed as a fine mist of
> liquid droplets. As a weapon, it is usually yellowish-brown
> and gets its name from its odor. Name it.

Mustard gas

> * D. The Great War
>
> D1. Which WW1 battle is often cited as the beginning of a
> Canadian identity separate from that of Great Britain?

Gallipoli

> D2. Canada's-worst ever epidemic was spread by troops returning
> from overseas at the end of the war. 50,000 Canadians died
> during the epidemic. What was the disease?

Spanish Flu

Calvin

Jan 23, 2020, 5:09:43 PM1/23/20
On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 4:28:30 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. Who is the current top-ranked grandmaster in the world?

Carlssen

> 2. Name the chess-playing computer that became the first computer
> to beat a human reigning world champion in a chess game under
> regular time controls.

Deep Blue

2

> 5. In computer programming, a common assignment is a chess puzzle
> called a knight's tour. What does the knight have to do to
> complete the knight's tour?

Land on each of the squares once only using valid knight moves

> 6. If a pawn makes its initial move of two squares, but there is
> an enemy pawn that *could have captured it if it had only moved
> one square*, then it can still be captured by the enemy pawn
> provided that this is done immediately on the following turn.
> What is this special pawn capture called?

En passant

> 7. What is the only action in chess where two pieces are moved on
> the same turn?

Castling

> 8. This chess-playing automaton toured for decades, beating scores
> of people including Napoleon Bonaparte and Benjamin Franklin.
> It was of course a hoax, and controlled by a person hiding
> within the mechanism. But what was it called?

Mechanical Turk

> 9. The word "checkmate" comes from the Persian phrase "shah mat",
> which translates to what?

The King is Dead

> 10. What is it called when a chess opening involves the sacrifice of
> a piece, usually a pawn, with the hope of achieving an
> advantageous position?

Gambit

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Canada Remembers
>
> * A. War Artists from the Group of 7
>
> In each case name them.
>
> A1. He was commissioned into the army as a war artist in January
> 1918, and accompanied Canadian troops in the Hundred Days
> offensive from Amiens, France, to Mons, Belgium. His
> paintings of combat are based on his experiences at the
> front. Among his wartime works are "Some Day the People
> Will Return", "For What", and "German Prisoners".
>
> A2. This Group of 7 member enlisted as a private in the infantry,
> and fought in the battle at Ypres before being wounded.
> After his recovery, he served as a war artist from 1917 to
> 1919. Among his war time works are "Springtime at Picardy",
> "Gas Attack, Liévin", and "A Copse, Evening".
>

> * B. Weapons of War
>
> (Some non-Canadiana seems to have slipped into the round here.)
>
> B1. This weapon has a long history of use as a blister-agent,
> causing blisters on exposed skin and in the lungs. The name
> is in fact a misnomer, as it is dispersed as a fine mist of
> liquid droplets. As a weapon, it is usually yellowish-brown
> and gets its name from its odor. Name it.

Mustard gas

> B2. What was the nickname of the *second* atomic bomb dropped
> by the USAF, on Nagasaki?

Fat Boy, Little Boy

> * C. "In Flanders Fields"
>
> We will quote two lines of the poem; you give the next one,
> which in each case is 8 words.
>
> C1. Take up our quarrel with the foe:
> To you from failing hands we throw...
>
> C2. We are the Dead. Short days ago
> We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow...
>

> * D. The Great War
>
> D1. Which WW1 battle is often cited as the beginning of a
> Canadian identity separate from that of Great Britain?
>
> D2. Canada's-worst ever epidemic was spread by troops returning
> from overseas at the end of the war. 50,000 Canadians died
> during the epidemic. What was the disease?

Spanich Flu

> * E. Canadian War-Themed Movies
>
> Name them.
>
> E1. 2002 Canadian-French historical drama about a film crew
> in Toronto making a film based loosely on the 1915 defense
> of Van during the Armenian genocide. Written by Atom
> Egoyan and starring Charles Aznavour, Christopher Plummer,
> and Arsinée Khanjian. Name the film.
>
> E2. 2008 The lives of a troubled veteran, his nurse girlfriend,
> and a naïve boy intersect first in Alberta and later
> in Belgium. Written by Paul Gross and starring himself,
> Caroline Dhavernas, and Joe Dinicol.
>

> * F. Names for Today
>
> F1. Prior to being renamed "Remembrance Day" in 1931, by what
> name was the occasion known?

Armistice Day

> F2. The US also called it <answer F1> -- until 1954, when they
> changed the name to what?

Armistice Day

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 24, 2020, 12:07:43 AM1/24/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:HrSdnTDgOKSVoLTDnZ2dnUU7-
Q3N...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. Who is the current top-ranked grandmaster in the world?

Carlsen; Anand

> 2. Name the chess-playing computer that became the first computer
> to beat a human reigning world champion in a chess game under
> regular time controls.

Deep Blue

> 3. Which world champion did <answer 2> beat?

Kasparov

> 4. What is the smallest number of moves in a game (by each side)
> required to achieve a checkmate?

3; 4

> 5. In computer programming, a common assignment is a chess puzzle
> called a knight's tour. What does the knight have to do to
> complete the knight's tour?

move to every square of the board

> 6. If a pawn makes its initial move of two squares, but there is
> an enemy pawn that *could have captured it if it had only moved
> one square*, then it can still be captured by the enemy pawn
> provided that this is done immediately on the following turn.
> What is this special pawn capture called?

en passant

> 7. What is the only action in chess where two pieces are moved on
> the same turn?

castling

> 8. This chess-playing automaton toured for decades, beating scores
> of people including Napoleon Bonaparte and Benjamin Franklin.
> It was of course a hoax, and controlled by a person hiding
> within the mechanism. But what was it called?

Mechanical Turk

> 9. The word "checkmate" comes from the Persian phrase "shah mat",
> which translates to what?

the king is dead

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Canada Remembers
>
> * B. Weapons of War
>
> (Some non-Canadiana seems to have slipped into the round here.)
>
> B1. This weapon has a long history of use as a blister-agent,
> causing blisters on exposed skin and in the lungs. The name
> is in fact a misnomer, as it is dispersed as a fine mist of
> liquid droplets. As a weapon, it is usually yellowish-brown
> and gets its name from its odor. Name it.

mustard gas

> B2. What was the nickname of the *second* atomic bomb dropped
> by the USAF, on Nagasaki?

Little Boy

> * D. The Great War
>
> D1. Which WW1 battle is often cited as the beginning of a
> Canadian identity separate from that of Great Britain?

Battle of Ypres

> D2. Canada's-worst ever epidemic was spread by troops returning
> from overseas at the end of the war. 50,000 Canadians died
> during the epidemic. What was the disease?

Spanish flu

> * E. Canadian War-Themed Movies
>
> Name them.
>
> E1. 2002 Canadian-French historical drama about a film crew
> in Toronto making a film based loosely on the 1915 defense
> of Van during the Armenian genocide. Written by Atom
> Egoyan and starring Charles Aznavour, Christopher Plummer,
> and Arsinée Khanjian. Name the film.

"Ararat"

> * F. Names for Today
>
> F1. Prior to being renamed "Remembrance Day" in 1931, by what
> name was the occasion known?

Armistice Day

> F2. The US also called it <answer F1> -- until 1954, when they
> changed the name to what?

Veterans Day

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Jan 24, 2020, 3:58:25 PM1/24/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:HrSdnTDgOKSVoLTDnZ2dnUU7-
Q3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-11-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. Who is the current top-ranked grandmaster in the world?
>
> 2. Name the chess-playing computer that became the first computer
> to beat a human reigning world champion in a chess game under
> regular time controls.
>
> 3. Which world champion did <answer 2> beat?
>
> 4. What is the smallest number of moves in a game (by each side)
> required to achieve a checkmate?

10; 11
Mustard gas

> B2. What was the nickname of the *second* atomic bomb dropped
> by the USAF, on Nagasaki?

Little Boy

> * C. "In Flanders Fields"
>
> We will quote two lines of the poem; you give the next one,
> which in each case is 8 words.
>
> C1. Take up our quarrel with the foe:
> To you from failing hands we throw...
>
> C2. We are the Dead. Short days ago
> We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow...
>

> * D. The Great War
>
> D1. Which WW1 battle is often cited as the beginning of a
> Canadian identity separate from that of Great Britain?

Paschendale

> D2. Canada's-worst ever epidemic was spread by troops returning
> from overseas at the end of the war. 50,000 Canadians died
> during the epidemic. What was the disease?

Spanish flu

> * E. Canadian War-Themed Movies
>
> Name them.
>
> E1. 2002 Canadian-French historical drama about a film crew
> in Toronto making a film based loosely on the 1915 defense
> of Van during the Armenian genocide. Written by Atom
> Egoyan and starring Charles Aznavour, Christopher Plummer,
> and Arsinée Khanjian. Name the film.
>
> E2. 2008 The lives of a troubled veteran, his nurse girlfriend,
> and a naïve boy intersect first in Alberta and later
> in Belgium. Written by Paul Gross and starring himself,
> Caroline Dhavernas, and Joe Dinicol.
>

> * F. Names for Today
>
> F1. Prior to being renamed "Remembrance Day" in 1931, by what
> name was the occasion known?
>
> F2. The US also called it <answer F1> -- until 1954, when they
> changed the name to what?

Veterans Day

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jan 25, 2020, 6:40:38 PM1/25/20
On 1/22/20 10:28 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Leisure - Chess
>
> 1. Who is the current top-ranked grandmaster in the world?
>
> 2. Name the chess-playing computer that became the first computer
> to beat a human reigning world champion in a chess game under
> regular time controls.

Deep Thought

> 3. Which world champion did <answer 2> beat?
>
> 4. What is the smallest number of moves in a game (by each side)
> required to achieve a checkmate?

2

> 5. In computer programming, a common assignment is a chess puzzle
> called a knight's tour. What does the knight have to do to
> complete the knight's tour?

land on every square of the board without repeating

> 6. If a pawn makes its initial move of two squares, but there is
> an enemy pawn that *could have captured it if it had only moved
> one square*, then it can still be captured by the enemy pawn
> provided that this is done immediately on the following turn.
> What is this special pawn capture called?

en passant

> 7. What is the only action in chess where two pieces are moved on
> the same turn?

castling

> 8. This chess-playing automaton toured for decades, beating scores
> of people including Napoleon Bonaparte and Benjamin Franklin.
> It was of course a hoax, and controlled by a person hiding
> within the mechanism. But what was it called?
>
> 9. The word "checkmate" comes from the Persian phrase "shah mat",
> which translates to what?
>
> 10. What is it called when a chess opening involves the sacrifice of
> a piece, usually a pawn, with the hope of achieving an
> advantageous position?

gambit

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Canada Remembers
>
> * A. War Artists from the Group of 7
>
> In each case name them.
>
> A1. He was commissioned into the army as a war artist in January
> 1918, and accompanied Canadian troops in the Hundred Days
> offensive from Amiens, France, to Mons, Belgium. His
> paintings of combat are based on his experiences at the
> front. Among his wartime works are "Some Day the People
> Will Return", "For What", and "German Prisoners".
>
> A2. This Group of 7 member enlisted as a private in the infantry,
> and fought in the battle at Ypres before being wounded.
> After his recovery, he served as a war artist from 1917 to
> 1919. Among his war time works are "Springtime at Picardy",
> "Gas Attack, Liévin", and "A Copse, Evening".
>

> * B. Weapons of War
>
> (Some non-Canadiana seems to have slipped into the round here.)
>
> B1. This weapon has a long history of use as a blister-agent,
> causing blisters on exposed skin and in the lungs. The name
> is in fact a misnomer, as it is dispersed as a fine mist of
> liquid droplets. As a weapon, it is usually yellowish-brown
> and gets its name from its odor. Name it.

mustard fas

> B2. What was the nickname of the *second* atomic bomb dropped
> by the USAF, on Nagasaki?

Little Boy

> * C. "In Flanders Fields"
>
> We will quote two lines of the poem; you give the next one,
> which in each case is 8 words.
>
> C1. Take up our quarrel with the foe:
> To you from failing hands we throw...
>
> C2. We are the Dead. Short days ago
> We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow...
>

> * D. The Great War
>
> D1. Which WW1 battle is often cited as the beginning of a
> Canadian identity separate from that of Great Britain?

Ypres

> D2. Canada's-worst ever epidemic was spread by troops returning
> from overseas at the end of the war. 50,000 Canadians died
> during the epidemic. What was the disease?

Spanish flu

> * E. Canadian War-Themed Movies
>
> Name them.
>
> E1. 2002 Canadian-French historical drama about a film crew
> in Toronto making a film based loosely on the 1915 defense
> of Van during the Armenian genocide. Written by Atom
> Egoyan and starring Charles Aznavour, Christopher Plummer,
> and Arsinée Khanjian. Name the film.
>
> E2. 2008 The lives of a troubled veteran, his nurse girlfriend,
> and a naïve boy intersect first in Alberta and later
> in Belgium. Written by Paul Gross and starring himself,
> Caroline Dhavernas, and Joe Dinicol.
>

> * F. Names for Today
>
> F1. Prior to being renamed "Remembrance Day" in 1931, by what
> name was the occasion known?

Armistice Day

> F2. The US also called it <answer F1> -- until 1954, when they
> changed the name to what?

Veterans' Day

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2020, 12:53:13 AM1/26/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-11-11,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 8 is over, and by 10 points the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER.
Hearty contratulations, sir -- well done!

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Leisure - Chess

> 1. Who is the current top-ranked grandmaster in the world?

Magnus Carlsen. 4 for Erland and Calvin. 3 for Joshua.

> 2. Name the chess-playing computer that became the first computer
> to beat a human reigning world champion in a chess game under
> regular time controls.

Deep Blue. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 3. Which world champion did <answer 2> beat?

Garry Kasparov. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 4. What is the smallest number of moves in a game (by each side)
> required to achieve a checkmate?

2. 4 for Calvin and Dan Tilque.

It's called a Fool's Mate, and one version goes like this:
1. f3 e5
2. g4 Qh4#
or for us old-fashioned types, that means:
1. P-KB3 P-K4
2. P-KN4 Q-R5 mate
Other variations on the pawn moves are also possible.

> 5. In computer programming, a common assignment is a chess puzzle
> called a knight's tour. What does the knight have to do to
> complete the knight's tour?

Visit every square on the board (exactly once, but this was not
required). 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. If a pawn makes its initial move of two squares, but there is
> an enemy pawn that *could have captured it if it had only moved
> one square*, then it can still be captured by the enemy pawn
> provided that this is done immediately on the following turn.
> What is this special pawn capture called?

En passant. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. What is the only action in chess where two pieces are moved on
> the same turn?

Castling. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland (Erand), Calvin, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This chess-playing automaton toured for decades, beating scores
> of people including Napoleon Bonaparte and Benjamin Franklin.
> It was of course a hoax, and controlled by a person hiding
> within the mechanism. But what was it called?

The (mechanical) Turk. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Joshua.

See: http://i1.wp.com/batterseaartscentreblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/4-Mechnical-Turk.jpg

> 9. The word "checkmate" comes from the Persian phrase "shah mat",
> which translates to what?

"The king is dead". 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 10. What is it called when a chess opening involves the sacrifice of
> a piece, usually a pawn, with the hope of achieving an
> advantageous position?

A gambit. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - Canada Remembers

> * A. War Artists from the Group of 7

> In each case name them.

> A1. He was commissioned into the army as a war artist in January
> 1918, and accompanied Canadian troops in the Hundred Days
> offensive from Amiens, France, to Mons, Belgium. His
> paintings of combat are based on his experiences at the
> front. Among his wartime works are "Some Day the People
> Will Return", "For What", and "German Prisoners".

Frederick (F.H.) Varley.

> A2. This Group of 7 member enlisted as a private in the infantry,
> and fought in the battle at Ypres before being wounded.
> After his recovery, he served as a war artist from 1917 to
> 1919. Among his war time works are "Springtime at Picardy",
> "Gas Attack, Liévin", and "A Copse, Evening".

Alexander (A.Y.) Jackson.

> * B. Weapons of War

> (Some non-Canadiana seems to have slipped into the round here.)

> B1. This weapon has a long history of use as a blister-agent,
> causing blisters on exposed skin and in the lungs. The name
> is in fact a misnomer, as it is dispersed as a fine mist of
> liquid droplets. As a weapon, it is usually yellowish-brown
> and gets its name from its odor. Name it.

Mustard gas (or sulfur mustard). 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland,
Calvin, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> B2. What was the nickname of the *second* atomic bomb dropped
> by the USAF, on Nagasaki?

Fat Man.

> * C. "In Flanders Fields"

> We will quote two lines of the poem; you give the next one,
> which in each case is 8 words.

> C1. Take up our quarrel with the foe:
> To you from failing hands we throw...

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

> C2. We are the Dead. Short days ago
> We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow...

Loved and were loved, and now we lie.

> * D. The Great War

> D1. Which WW1 battle is often cited as the beginning of a
> Canadian identity separate from that of Great Britain?

Vimy Ridge.

See: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/vimy-ridge

> D2. Canada's-worst ever epidemic was spread by troops returning
> from overseas at the end of the war. 50,000 Canadians died
> during the epidemic. What was the disease?

Influenza. 4 for everyone.

> * E. Canadian War-Themed Movies

> Name them.

> E1. 2002 Canadian-French historical drama about a film crew
> in Toronto making a film based loosely on the 1915 defense
> of Van during the Armenian genocide. Written by Atom
> Egoyan and starring Charles Aznavour, Christopher Plummer,
> and Arsinée Khanjian. Name the film.

"Ararat". 4 for Joshua.

> E2. 2008 The lives of a troubled veteran, his nurse girlfriend,
> and a naïve boy intersect first in Alberta and later
> in Belgium. Written by Paul Gross and starring himself,
> Caroline Dhavernas, and Joe Dinicol.

"Passchendaele".

> * F. Names for Today

> F1. Prior to being renamed "Remembrance Day" in 1931, by what
> name was the occasion known?

Armistice Day. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> F2. The US also called it <answer F1> -- until 1954, when they
> changed the name to what?

Veterans Day. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 6 7 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Ent His A+L Sci Can Lei Can SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 28 20 28 16 31 20 171
Dan Blum 33 24 23 20 29 16 32 16 161
Pete Gayde 24 28 27 22 27 8 0 12 140
"Calvin" 23 12 20 12 28 0 40 12 135
Erland Sommarskog 32 12 16 0 36 8 20 8 124
Dan Tilque -- -- 12 0 32 16 20 16 96
Bruce Bowler 20 20 23 0 -- -- -- -- 63

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Bacterium is the term for a single bacteria."
m...@vex.net |