QFTCI5EP Game 6, Rounds 2-3: translated titles, LA locations

Mark Brader

Jun 24, 2017, 11:23:38 PM6/24/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 6 was announced as a theme game on the subject of movies, but
in some categories the theme was applied very loosely.

* Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles

For each question, we will translate back into English three of
the foreign-language titles used for a certain movie. You give
its original title in English.

Actually, Google Translate was used to do the translations into
English, so there may be some things lost in translation -- but,
after all, that is sort of the point.

1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
"The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
"Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).

3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
(France).

4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).

5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
(Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).

6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).

7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
"The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
(Brazil).

8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).

10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).

* Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations

In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.

1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
famous street.

2. Lana Turner was reputed to have been "discovered" in *which
iconic L.A. pharmacy*?

3. Directed by David Lynch, this 2001 surrealistic thriller is
about an amnesiac woman who seeks help finding her life with
an aspiring actress.

4. This 1975 film was directed by John Schlesinger from Nathaniel
West's bitter novel of down-and-outs in the movie world. It ends
with a horrifying scene in an apocalyptic movie premier set at
Grauman's Chinese Theater and stars Donald Sutherland.

5. This low-budget 1967 counter-culture-era exploitation movie
was inspired by the actions following the real-life closing of
Pandora's Box, a tiny hippy club. It seeks to capture youthful
rebellion, LSD culture, and garage rock.

6. Set in South Central L.A., this 1991 teen gang drama stars
Ice Cube, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Angela Bassett; it was directed
by John Singleton.

7. William Friedkin directed this 1985 thriller, with Willem Defoe
as a deadly counterfeiter and William Peterson as the compromised
cop. It also features a terrorist attack at the Beverly Hilton
and a wrong-way car chase on the Terminal Island Freeway.

8. Based on Bret Easton Ellis's debut novel, the 1987 movie version
of this essential piece of L.A. fiction has Robert Downey, Jr.,
as a whacked-out drug addict among the swimming pools of L.A.,
from Bel Air to Malibu.

9. Quentin Tarantino's 1997 adaptation of Elmore Leonard's "Rum
Punch" is set in the gritty South Bay region of L.A. and stars
Pam Grier.

10. This quintessential 1946 L.A. film noir, all shot on a Warner
Brothers back lot, was directed by Howard Hawks from a Raymond
Chandler novel. It is perhaps more shadowy and dreamlike than
plot-driven. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As always, breakfast recapitulated
m...@vex.net phylogeny." -- Spider Robinson

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 25, 2017, 1:35:14 AM6/25/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:r-idnR5wsrYosdLEnZ2dnUU7-
I3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles
>
> For each question, we will translate back into English three of
> the foreign-language titles used for a certain movie. You give
> its original title in English.
>
> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

"The Shawshank Redemption"

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).

"Pulp Fiction"

> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).

"As Good as It Gets"

> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).

"Inception"

> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).

"The Hangover"

> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).

"Annie Hall"

> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

"Grease"

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).

"Snatch"

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations
>
> In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
> location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.
>
> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.

"Sunset Blvd."

> 2. Lana Turner was reputed to have been "discovered" in *which
> iconic L.A. pharmacy*?

Schwab's

> 3. Directed by David Lynch, this 2001 surrealistic thriller is
> about an amnesiac woman who seeks help finding her life with
> an aspiring actress.

"Mulholland Drive"

> 4. This 1975 film was directed by John Schlesinger from Nathaniel
> West's bitter novel of down-and-outs in the movie world. It ends
> with a horrifying scene in an apocalyptic movie premier set at
> Grauman's Chinese Theater and stars Donald Sutherland.

"The Day of the Locust"

> 6. Set in South Central L.A., this 1991 teen gang drama stars
> Ice Cube, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Angela Bassett; it was directed
> by John Singleton.

"Boyz N the Hood"

> 7. William Friedkin directed this 1985 thriller, with Willem Defoe
> as a deadly counterfeiter and William Peterson as the compromised
> cop. It also features a terrorist attack at the Beverly Hilton
> and a wrong-way car chase on the Terminal Island Freeway.

"To Live and Die in L.A."

> 8. Based on Bret Easton Ellis's debut novel, the 1987 movie version
> of this essential piece of L.A. fiction has Robert Downey, Jr.,
> as a whacked-out drug addict among the swimming pools of L.A.,
> from Bel Air to Malibu.

"Less Than Zero"

> 9. Quentin Tarantino's 1997 adaptation of Elmore Leonard's "Rum
> Punch" is set in the gritty South Bay region of L.A. and stars
> Pam Grier.

"Jackie Brown"

> 10. This quintessential 1946 L.A. film noir, all shot on a Warner
> Brothers back lot, was directed by Howard Hawks from a Raymond
> Chandler novel. It is perhaps more shadowy and dreamlike than
> plot-driven. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

"The Big Sleep"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

swp

Jun 25, 2017, 11:17:09 AM6/25/17
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 11:23:38 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted ; I am doing these now while I have the chance, and on the off chance that Mark will bring back a rare entries contest so that everyone else can kick my ass there again.

> Game 6 was announced as a theme game on the subject of movies, but
> in some categories the theme was applied very loosely.
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles
>

> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

the shawshank redemption

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).

pulp fiction

> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).

as good as it gets

> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).

the good, the bad, and the ugly

> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).

inception

> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).

the hangover

> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).

annie hall

> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

grease

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).

snatch

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations
>
> In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
> location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.
>
> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.

sunset boulevard

> 2. Lana Turner was reputed to have been "discovered" in *which
> iconic L.A. pharmacy*?

top hat malt shop

> 3. Directed by David Lynch, this 2001 surrealistic thriller is
> about an amnesiac woman who seeks help finding her life with
> an aspiring actress.

mulholland drive

> 4. This 1975 film was directed by John Schlesinger from Nathaniel
> West's bitter novel of down-and-outs in the movie world. It ends
> with a horrifying scene in an apocalyptic movie premier set at
> Grauman's Chinese Theater and stars Donald Sutherland.

the day of the locust [note: for certain values of "Grauman's"]

> 5. This low-budget 1967 counter-culture-era exploitation movie
> was inspired by the actions following the real-life closing of
> Pandora's Box, a tiny hippy club. It seeks to capture youthful
> rebellion, LSD culture, and garage rock.

riot on sunset strip

> 6. Set in South Central L.A., this 1991 teen gang drama stars
> Ice Cube, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Angela Bassett; it was directed
> by John Singleton.

boyz n the hood

> 7. William Friedkin directed this 1985 thriller, with Willem Defoe
> as a deadly counterfeiter and William Peterson as the compromised
> cop. It also features a terrorist attack at the Beverly Hilton
> and a wrong-way car chase on the Terminal Island Freeway.

to live and die in l.a.

> 8. Based on Bret Easton Ellis's debut novel, the 1987 movie version
> of this essential piece of L.A. fiction has Robert Downey, Jr.,
> as a whacked-out drug addict among the swimming pools of L.A.,
> from Bel Air to Malibu.

less than zero

> 9. Quentin Tarantino's 1997 adaptation of Elmore Leonard's "Rum
> Punch" is set in the gritty South Bay region of L.A. and stars
> Pam Grier.

jackie brown

> 10. This quintessential 1946 L.A. film noir, all shot on a Warner
> Brothers back lot, was directed by Howard Hawks from a Raymond
> Chandler novel. It is perhaps more shadowy and dreamlike than
> plot-driven. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

the big sleep

swp

Dan Blum

Jun 25, 2017, 4:29:23 PM6/25/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles

> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

The Shawshank Redemption

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).

Pulp Fiction

> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).

Sleepless in Seattle

> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).

The Hangover

> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fianc?e, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).

Annie Hall

> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

Hair!

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations

> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.

Sunset Boulevard

> 3. Directed by David Lynch, this 2001 surrealistic thriller is
> about an amnesiac woman who seeks help finding her life with
> an aspiring actress.

Mulholland Drive

> 4. This 1975 film was directed by John Schlesinger from Nathaniel
> West's bitter novel of down-and-outs in the movie world. It ends
> with a horrifying scene in an apocalyptic movie premier set at
> Grauman's Chinese Theater and stars Donald Sutherland.

Sunset Strip

> 6. Set in South Central L.A., this 1991 teen gang drama stars
> Ice Cube, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Angela Bassett; it was directed
> by John Singleton.

Boyz n the Hood

> 7. William Friedkin directed this 1985 thriller, with Willem Defoe
> as a deadly counterfeiter and William Peterson as the compromised
> cop. It also features a terrorist attack at the Beverly Hilton
> and a wrong-way car chase on the Terminal Island Freeway.

To Live and Die in L.A.

(Peterson is technically a Secret Service agent, not a cop.)

> 8. Based on Bret Easton Ellis's debut novel, the 1987 movie version
> of this essential piece of L.A. fiction has Robert Downey, Jr.,
> as a whacked-out drug addict among the swimming pools of L.A.,
> from Bel Air to Malibu.

Bright Lights, Big City

> 9. Quentin Tarantino's 1997 adaptation of Elmore Leonard's "Rum
> Punch" is set in the gritty South Bay region of L.A. and stars
> Pam Grier.

Jackie Brown

> 10. This quintessential 1946 L.A. film noir, all shot on a Warner
> Brothers back lot, was directed by Howard Hawks from a Raymond
> Chandler novel. It is perhaps more shadowy and dreamlike than
> plot-driven. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

The Big Sleep

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Jun 25, 2017, 10:14:13 PM6/25/17
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 1:23:38 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles
>
> For each question, we will translate back into English three of
> the foreign-language titles used for a certain movie. You give
> its original title in English.
>
> Actually, Google Translate was used to do the translations into
> English, so there may be some things lost in translation -- but,
> after all, that is sort of the point.
>
> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

The Shawshank Redemption

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).

Reservoir Dogs

> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).

Three Weddings and a Funeral

> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).

The Good, The bad and The Ugly

> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).

> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).

The Hangover

> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).

Annie Hall

> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

Hair, Cabaret

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).

Total Recall

> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; Snatch

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations
>
> In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
> location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.
>
> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.

Sunset Boulevard
The Maltese Falcon

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jun 26, 2017, 12:38:35 AM6/26/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles
>
> For each question, we will translate back into English three of
> the foreign-language titles used for a certain movie. You give
> its original title in English.
>
> Actually, Google Translate was used to do the translations into
> English, so there may be some things lost in translation -- but,
> after all, that is sort of the point.
>
> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

Shankshaw Redemption

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).

The Usual Suspects

> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).
>
> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).
>
> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).
>
> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).
>
> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

Grease

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).
>
> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations
>
> In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
> location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.
>
> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.

Mulholland Drive
The Maltese Falcon

--
Dan Tilque

Bruce

Jun 26, 2017, 9:37:44 AM6/26/17
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 22:23:33 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> Game 6 was announced as a theme game on the subject of movies, but in
> some categories the theme was applied very loosely.
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles
>
> For each question, we will translate back into English three of the
> foreign-language titles used for a certain movie. You give its original
> title in English.
>
> Actually, Google Translate was used to do the translations into English,
> so there may be some things lost in translation -- but, after all, that
> is sort of the point.
>
> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

Shawshank Redemption?

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).
>
> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).
>
> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).
>
> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).
>
> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).
>
> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

Grease

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).
>
> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations

I got nothing...

Pete Gayde

Jun 26, 2017, 12:52:46 PM6/26/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:r-idnR5wsrYosdLEnZ2dnUU7-
I3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> Game 6 was announced as a theme game on the subject of movies, but
> in some categories the theme was applied very loosely.
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles
>
> For each question, we will translate back into English three of
> the foreign-language titles used for a certain movie. You give
> its original title in English.
>
> Actually, Google Translate was used to do the translations into
> English, so there may be some things lost in translation -- but,
> after all, that is sort of the point.
>
> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

Shawshank Redemption

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).

Pulp Fiction

> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).
>
> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).
>
> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).
>
> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).

Bachelor Party

> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).

Annie Hall

> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

Hairspray

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).
>
> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations
>
> In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
> location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.
>
> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.

Mulholland Drive
Reservoir Dogs

> 10. This quintessential 1946 L.A. film noir, all shot on a Warner
> Brothers back lot, was directed by Howard Hawks from a Raymond
> Chandler novel. It is perhaps more shadowy and dreamlike than
> plot-driven. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

Pete Gayde

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 26, 2017, 4:56:45 PM6/26/17
In article <r-idnR5wsrYosdLE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles
>
> For each question, we will translate back into English three of
> the foreign-language titles used for a certain movie. You give
> its original title in English.
>
> Actually, Google Translate was used to do the translations into
> English, so there may be some things lost in translation -- but,
> after all, that is sort of the point.
>
> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).
Shawwshank Redemption

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).
>
> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).
>
> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).
>
> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).
>
> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).
>
> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).
Annie Hall

> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).
Grease

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations
>
> In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
> location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.
>
> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.
Sunset Boulevard

> 2. Lana Turner was reputed to have been "discovered" in *which
> iconic L.A. pharmacy*?
Schwab's

> 3. Directed by David Lynch, this 2001 surrealistic thriller is
> about an amnesiac woman who seeks help finding her life with
> an aspiring actress.
Wild At Heart

> 4. This 1975 film was directed by John Schlesinger from Nathaniel
> West's bitter novel of down-and-outs in the movie world. It ends
> with a horrifying scene in an apocalyptic movie premier set at
> Grauman's Chinese Theater and stars Donald Sutherland.
Day of the Locust

> 5. This low-budget 1967 counter-culture-era exploitation movie
> was inspired by the actions following the real-life closing of
> Pandora's Box, a tiny hippy club. It seeks to capture youthful
> rebellion, LSD culture, and garage rock.
>
> 6. Set in South Central L.A., this 1991 teen gang drama stars
> Ice Cube, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Angela Bassett; it was directed
> by John Singleton.
Boyz 'N The Hood

> 7. William Friedkin directed this 1985 thriller, with Willem Defoe
> as a deadly counterfeiter and William Peterson as the compromised
> cop. It also features a terrorist attack at the Beverly Hilton
> and a wrong-way car chase on the Terminal Island Freeway.
To Live And Die in L.A. [really, really good film]

> 8. Based on Bret Easton Ellis's debut novel, the 1987 movie version
> of this essential piece of L.A. fiction has Robert Downey, Jr.,
> as a whacked-out drug addict among the swimming pools of L.A.,
> from Bel Air to Malibu.
>
> 9. Quentin Tarantino's 1997 adaptation of Elmore Leonard's "Rum
> Punch" is set in the gritty South Bay region of L.A. and stars
> Pam Grier.
Jackie Brown [really, really good film]

> 10. This quintessential 1946 L.A. film noir, all shot on a Warner
> Brothers back lot, was directed by Howard Hawks from a Raymond
> Chandler novel. It is perhaps more shadowy and dreamlike than
> plot-driven. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.
The Big Sleep

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2017, 6:31:22 PM6/26/17
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 11:23:38 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
"The Shawshank Redemption"
> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).
"Pulp Fiction"
> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).
>
> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).
"The Good The Bad and the Ugly"
> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).
"Avatar"?
> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).
"The Hangover"
> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).
"Annie Hall"
> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).
"Grease"
> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).
"Memento"
> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations
>
> In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
> location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.
>
> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.
"Sunset Boulevard"
> 2. Lana Turner was reputed to have been "discovered" in *which
> iconic L.A. pharmacy*?
>
> 3. Directed by David Lynch, this 2001 surrealistic thriller is
> about an amnesiac woman who seeks help finding her life with
> an aspiring actress.
"Mulholland Drive"
> 4. This 1975 film was directed by John Schlesinger from Nathaniel
> West's bitter novel of down-and-outs in the movie world. It ends
> with a horrifying scene in an apocalyptic movie premier set at
> Grauman's Chinese Theater and stars Donald Sutherland.
>
> 5. This low-budget 1967 counter-culture-era exploitation movie
> was inspired by the actions following the real-life closing of
> Pandora's Box, a tiny hippy club. It seeks to capture youthful
> rebellion, LSD culture, and garage rock.
>
> 6. Set in South Central L.A., this 1991 teen gang drama stars
> Ice Cube, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Angela Bassett; it was directed
> by John Singleton.
"Boyz N The Hood"
> 7. William Friedkin directed this 1985 thriller, with Willem Defoe
> as a deadly counterfeiter and William Peterson as the compromised
> cop. It also features a terrorist attack at the Beverly Hilton
> and a wrong-way car chase on the Terminal Island Freeway.
"8 Million Ways to Die"?
> 8. Based on Bret Easton Ellis's debut novel, the 1987 movie version
> of this essential piece of L.A. fiction has Robert Downey, Jr.,
> as a whacked-out drug addict among the swimming pools of L.A.,
> from Bel Air to Malibu.
"Less Than Zero"
> 9. Quentin Tarantino's 1997 adaptation of Elmore Leonard's "Rum
> Punch" is set in the gritty South Bay region of L.A. and stars
> Pam Grier.
"Jackie Brown"
> 10. This quintessential 1946 L.A. film noir, all shot on a Warner
> Brothers back lot, was directed by Howard Hawks from a Raymond
> Chandler novel. It is perhaps more shadowy and dreamlike than
> plot-driven. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.
"The Maltese Falcon"

Gareth Owen

Jun 27, 2017, 3:12:41 PM6/27/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

#The Shawshank Redemption

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).

Pulp Fiction

> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).

> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly?

> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).

Source Code?

> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).

The Hangover

> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).

Annie Hall

> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

Grease

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).

Snatch

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations
>
> In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
> location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.
>
> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.

Sunset Boulevard

> 2. Lana Turner was reputed to have been "discovered" in *which
> iconic L.A. pharmacy*?

Nighthawk

> 3. Directed by David Lynch, this 2001 surrealistic thriller is
> about an amnesiac woman who seeks help finding her life with
> an aspiring actress.

Mulholland Drive

> 4. This 1975 film was directed by John Schlesinger from Nathaniel
> West's bitter novel of down-and-outs in the movie world. It ends
> with a horrifying scene in an apocalyptic movie premier set at
> Grauman's Chinese Theater and stars Donald Sutherland.

The Day of the Locust

> 5. This low-budget 1967 counter-culture-era exploitation movie
> was inspired by the actions following the real-life closing of
> Pandora's Box, a tiny hippy club. It seeks to capture youthful
> rebellion, LSD culture, and garage rock.

??? Sounds right up my street

> 6. Set in South Central L.A., this 1991 teen gang drama stars
> Ice Cube, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Angela Bassett; it was directed
> by John Singleton.

Boyz In Da Hood

> 7. William Friedkin directed this 1985 thriller, with Willem Defoe
> as a deadly counterfeiter and William Peterson as the compromised
> cop. It also features a terrorist attack at the Beverly Hilton
> and a wrong-way car chase on the Terminal Island Freeway.

Sorceror?

> 8. Based on Bret Easton Ellis's debut novel, the 1987 movie version
> of this essential piece of L.A. fiction has Robert Downey, Jr.,
> as a whacked-out drug addict among the swimming pools of L.A.,
> from Bel Air to Malibu.

Less Than Zero

> 9. Quentin Tarantino's 1997 adaptation of Elmore Leonard's "Rum
> Punch" is set in the gritty South Bay region of L.A. and stars
> Pam Grier.

Jackie Brown

> 10. This quintessential 1946 L.A. film noir, all shot on a Warner
> Brothers back lot, was directed by Howard Hawks from a Raymond
> Chandler novel. It is perhaps more shadowy and dreamlike than
> plot-driven. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

The Big Sleep

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2017, 1:08:31 AM6/28/17
Stephen Perry:
> I am doing these now while I have the chance, and on the off chance
> that Mark will bring back a rare entries contest...

No chance. Too few people around these days.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto cat>/dev/null got your tongue?
m...@vex.net -- Jutta Degener

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2017, 1:31:31 AM6/28/17
Mark Brader:
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - Foreign Movie Titles

> For each question, we will translate back into English three of
> the foreign-language titles used for a certain movie. You give
> its original title in English.

> Actually, Google Translate was used to do the translations into
> English, so there may be some things lost in translation -- but,
> after all, that is sort of the point.

> 1. 1994, prison drama: "Dreams of Liberty" (Latin America),
> "The Condemned" (Germany), "Life Imprisonment" (Spain).

"The Shawshank Redemption". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Calvin,
Bruce, Pete, Marc, Jason, and Gareth. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> 2. 1994, neo-noir black comedy: "Violent Times" (Latin America),
> "Wastepaper" (Georgia), "Trash" (Slovenia).

"Pulp Fiction". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Pete, Jason,
and Gareth.

> 3. 1997, romantic comedy: "Something has Changed" (Italy), "Better
> is Impossible" (Latin America), "For the Worst and for the Best"
> (France).

"As Good as It Gets". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 4. 1966, Western: "Two Glorious Scoundrels" (Austria), "Three Men
> in Conflict" (Brazil), "The Magnificent Rogues" (United Kingdom).

"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, Bruce, Jason, and Gareth.

> 5. 2010, science fiction: "The Origin" (Latin America), "Beginning"
> (Czech Republic), "Source" (Slovenia).

"Inception". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 6. 2009, comedy: "What Happened Yesterday"? (Argentina), "Very
> Bad Trip" (France), "If You Drink, Do Not Marry" (Brazil).

"The Hangover". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Calvin, Jason,
and Gareth.

> 7. 1977, romantic comedy: "Two Strange Lovers" (Argentina),
> "The City Neurotic" (Germany), "Neurotic Fiancée, Nervous Bride"
> (Brazil).

"Annie Hall". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Calvin, Pete, Marc,
Jason, and Gareth.

> 8. 1978, musical: "Vaseline" (Mexico), "Brilliantine" (French
> Canada), "Pomade" (Hungary).

"Grease". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Marc, Jason,
and Gareth.

> 9. 2004, science fiction drama: "Forget Me Not!" (Austria), "Forget
> About Me!" (Spain), "If You Leave Me, I Delete You" (Italy).

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". 4 for Joshua, Stephen,
Dan Blum, Marc, and Gareth.

> 10. 2000, crime comedy: "Pigs and Diamonds" (Latin America,
> Germany), "Bully" (Bulgaria), "Bluff" (Hungary).

"Snatch". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Gareth. 2 for Calvin.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Geography - Los Angeles Movie Locations

> In each case, either the answer or the question relates to a
> location in L.A. Unless instructed otherwise, name the movie.

> 1. William Holden is a scriptwriter in this 1950 movie and is
> found floating in a swimming pool in a mansion located on this
> famous street.

"Sunset Blvd." 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Calvin, Marc,
Jason, and Gareth.

> 2. Lana Turner was reputed to have been "discovered" in *which
> iconic L.A. pharmacy*?

Schwab's Drugstore. 4 for Joshua and Marc.

> 3. Directed by David Lynch, this 2001 surrealistic thriller is
> about an amnesiac woman who seeks help finding her life with
> an aspiring actress.

"Mulholland Drive" 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Jason, and Gareth.

> 4. This 1975 film was directed by John Schlesinger from Nathaniel
> West's bitter novel of down-and-outs in the movie world. It ends
> with a horrifying scene in an apocalyptic movie premier set at
> Grauman's Chinese Theater and stars Donald Sutherland.

"The Day of the Locust". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Marc, and Gareth.

As Stephen noted, the reference to Grauman's was anachronistic;
it was Mann's Chinese Theater from 1973 until the original name
was restored in 2001. And it's not the current name either; in
2013 it was renamed again, becoming the TCL Chinese Theater.

As nobody noted, that word is spelled "premiere". Sorry, I didn't
notice the error.

> 5. This low-budget 1967 counter-culture-era exploitation movie
> was inspired by the actions following the real-life closing of
> Pandora's Box, a tiny hippy club. It seeks to capture youthful
> rebellion, LSD culture, and garage rock.

"Riot on Sunset Strip". 4 for Stephen.

> 6. Set in South Central L.A., this 1991 teen gang drama stars
> Ice Cube, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Angela Bassett; it was directed
> by John Singleton.

"Boyz n the Hood". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Jason,
and Gareth.

> 7. William Friedkin directed this 1985 thriller, with Willem Defoe
> as a deadly counterfeiter and William Peterson as the compromised
> cop. It also features a terrorist attack at the Beverly Hilton
> and a wrong-way car chase on the Terminal Island Freeway.

"To Live and Die in L.A." 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Marc.

As Dan_Blum noted, Peterson's character is not actually a cop;
he's a Secret Service agent Sorry about that; I haven't seen this one.

> 8. Based on Bret Easton Ellis's debut novel, the 1987 movie version
> of this essential piece of L.A. fiction has Robert Downey, Jr.,
> as a whacked-out drug addict among the swimming pools of L.A.,
> from Bel Air to Malibu.

"Less Than Zero". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Jason, and Gareth.

> 9. Quentin Tarantino's 1997 adaptation of Elmore Leonard's "Rum
> Punch" is set in the gritty South Bay region of L.A. and stars
> Pam Grier.

"Jackie Brown". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Jason,
and Gareth.

> 10. This quintessential 1946 L.A. film noir, all shot on a Warner
> Brothers back lot, was directed by Howard Hawks from a Raymond
> Chandler novel. It is perhaps more shadowy and dreamlike than
> plot-driven. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

"The Big Sleep". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, and Gareth.

Three entrants guessed "The Maltese Falcon". You guys need to see
it again. Not only is Lauren Bacall not in that movie, but neither
is Los Angeles (well, except as a continuity error in the fire scene).

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo
Joshua Kreitzer 40 36 76
Stephen Perry 40 36 76
Gareth Owen 32 28 60
Jason Kreitzer 24 20 44
Dan Blum 20 24 44
Marc Dashevsky 16 28 44
"Calvin" 18 4 22
Pete Gayde 12 0 12
Bruce Bowler 12 0 12
Dan Tilque 11 0 11

--
Mark Brader "The worst things may happen, including a program
Toronto that works fine on your computer but crashes

Dan Blum

Jun 28, 2017, 10:02:43 AM6/28/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 7. William Friedkin directed this 1985 thriller, with Willem Defoe
> > as a deadly counterfeiter and William Peterson as the compromised
> > cop. It also features a terrorist attack at the Beverly Hilton
> > and a wrong-way car chase on the Terminal Island Freeway.

> "To Live and Die in L.A." 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> As Dan_Blum noted, Peterson's character is not actually a cop;
> he's a Secret Service agent Sorry about that; I haven't seen this one.

It's also Willem Dafoe, not Defoe, but I think we all knew who was meant.

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2017, 1:38:50 PM6/28/17
Dan Blum:
> It's also Willem Dafoe, not Defoe, but I think we all knew who was meant.

Maybe his French cousin took over for him. :-)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Verbose better."
m...@vex.net -- David M. Sherman