QFTCIMM16 Game 10, Final: History

Mark Brader

Mar 31, 2017, 5:20:10 PM3/31/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 2 - History

History: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/hist.jpg

* British Prime Ministers

1. Who is regarded as the first British Prime Minister, in office
1721-42?

2. Name the first Welsh-speaking PM, who led Britain in the
Great War. He was in office 1916-22.

3. Succeeding <answer 2> was the only PM born outside the British
Isles. A Canadian by birth, he served one year, 1922-23. Who?

* This Week in History

4. The United States wasn't Japan's only target on 1941-12-07.
Which colony defended by British, Canadian, and Indian troops,
as well as by a local defense force, was attacked just 8 hours
after the Pearl Harbor bombing?

5. On 1915-12-08, the poem "In Flanders Fields" appeared anonymously
in which magazine?

6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
under which general?

* Prisoners of the Tower of London

In each case, name them.

7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)

8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.

9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
tried for war crimes.

* Independence

10. The United States was the first country in the Western
Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?

11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
in its bid to separate from Colombia?

12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
Name that colonial power.

* The Peninsular War

This was the struggle between Napoleonic France and the forces of
Spain, Portugal, and Britain.

13. The Peninsular War was triggered by an uprising of the citizens
of Madrid against French troops occupying the city. The brutal
suppression of this rebellion was captured in famous paintings
by Goya. The anniversary of the uprising is still commemorated
in Madrid and its date became the title of one of the paintings.
What date in 1808 was this?

14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
of Spain was Napoléon Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.

15. What is the *family name* of the military commander dispatched
in 1808 to lead the British forces? He would encounter Napoléon
again years later, this time under the title he acquired for
his exploits in Spain.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It was too crazy to be true,
m...@vex.net | and too crazy to be false." --Tom Clancy

Peter Smyth

Mar 31, 2017, 5:31:52 PM3/31/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> History: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/hist.jpg
>

> * British Prime Ministers
>
> 1. Who is regarded as the first British Prime Minister, in office
> 1721-42?
Robert Walpole
> 2. Name the first Welsh-speaking PM, who led Britain in the
> Great War. He was in office 1916-22.
David Lloyd George
> 3. Succeeding <answer 2> was the only PM born outside the British
> Isles. A Canadian by birth, he served one year, 1922-23. Who?
Andrew Bonar Law

> * This Week in History
>
> 4. The United States wasn't Japan's only target on 1941-12-07.
> Which colony defended by British, Canadian, and Indian troops,
> as well as by a local defense force, was attacked just 8 hours
> after the Pearl Harbor bombing?
>
> 5. On 1915-12-08, the poem "In Flanders Fields" appeared anonymously
> in which magazine?
Punch
> 6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
> under which general?
Montgomery

> * Prisoners of the Tower of London
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> 7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
> while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)
Kray
> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.
>
> 9. The last state prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.
Lord Haw Haw

> * Independence
>
> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?
>
> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?
Panama
> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.
Portugal

> * The Peninsular War
>
> This was the struggle between Napoleonic France and the forces of
> Spain, Portugal, and Britain.
>
> 13. The Peninsular War was triggered by an uprising of the citizens
> of Madrid against French troops occupying the city. The brutal
> suppression of this rebellion was captured in famous paintings
> by Goya. The anniversary of the uprising is still commemorated
> in Madrid and its date became the title of one of the paintings.
> What date in 1808 was this?
>
> 14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
> of Spain was Napoléon Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.
>
> 15. What is the *family name* of the military commander dispatched
> in 1808 to lead the British forces? He would encounter Napoléon
> again years later, this time under the title he acquired for
> his exploits in Spain.
Wellsley

Peter Smyth

Don Piven

Mar 31, 2017, 8:17:33 PM3/31/17

Dan Blum

Mar 31, 2017, 8:21:55 PM3/31/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History

> * British Prime Ministers

> 1. Who is regarded as the first British Prime Minister, in office
> 1721-42?

Pitt

> 2. Name the first Welsh-speaking PM, who led Britain in the
> Great War. He was in office 1916-22.

Lloyd-George

> * This Week in History

> 4. The United States wasn't Japan's only target on 1941-12-07.
> Which colony defended by British, Canadian, and Indian troops,
> as well as by a local defense force, was attacked just 8 hours
> after the Pearl Harbor bombing?

Singapore

> 6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
> under which general?

Allenby

> * Prisoners of the Tower of London

> 7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
> while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)

Kray

> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.

Roger Williams

> 9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.

Rudolf Hess

> * Independence

> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?

Haiti

> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?

Panama

> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.

Portugal

> * The Peninsular War

> 14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
> of Spain was Napol?on Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.

Joseph

> 15. What is the *family name* of the military commander dispatched
> in 1808 to lead the British forces? He would encounter Napol?on
> again years later, this time under the title he acquired for
> his exploits in Spain.

Wellesley

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Blum

Mar 31, 2017, 8:23:03 PM3/31/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> History: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/hist.jpg

Was this supposed to be a hint for something?

Mark Brader

Mar 31, 2017, 9:41:50 PM3/31/17
Mark Brader:
> > History: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/hist.jpg

Dan Blum:
> Was this supposed to be a hint for something?

No.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "He seems unable to win without the added
m...@vex.net thrill of changing sides." -- Chess

Don Piven

Mar 31, 2017, 9:49:21 PM3/31/17
There are days when I shouldn't even open my mail client...
Hong Kong

> 5. On 1915-12-08, the poem "In Flanders Fields" appeared anonymously
> in which magazine?
>
> 6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
> under which general?
>

> * Prisoners of the Tower of London
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> 7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
> while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)

Kray

> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.

William Penn

> 9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.

Rudolf Hess

> * Independence
>
> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?

Haiti

> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?

Panama

> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.

Portugal

Dan Tilque

Mar 31, 2017, 10:51:52 PM3/31/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> History: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/hist.jpg
>

> * British Prime Ministers
>
> 1. Who is regarded as the first British Prime Minister, in office
> 1721-42?
>
> 2. Name the first Welsh-speaking PM, who led Britain in the
> Great War. He was in office 1916-22.
>
> 3. Succeeding <answer 2> was the only PM born outside the British
> Isles. A Canadian by birth, he served one year, 1922-23. Who?
>

> * This Week in History
>
> 4. The United States wasn't Japan's only target on 1941-12-07.
> Which colony defended by British, Canadian, and Indian troops,
> as well as by a local defense force, was attacked just 8 hours
> after the Pearl Harbor bombing?

Hong Kong

> 5. On 1915-12-08, the poem "In Flanders Fields" appeared anonymously
> in which magazine?

Maclean's

> 6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
> under which general?
>

> * Prisoners of the Tower of London
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> 7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
> while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)
>
> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.

Penn

> 9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.
>

> * Independence
>
> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?

Haiti

> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?

Panama

> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.

Portugal

> * The Peninsular War
>
> This was the struggle between Napoleonic France and the forces of
> Spain, Portugal, and Britain.
>
> 13. The Peninsular War was triggered by an uprising of the citizens
> of Madrid against French troops occupying the city. The brutal
> suppression of this rebellion was captured in famous paintings
> by Goya. The anniversary of the uprising is still commemorated
> in Madrid and its date became the title of one of the paintings.
> What date in 1808 was this?
>
> 14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
> of Spain was Napoléon Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.

Joseph

> 15. What is the *family name* of the military commander dispatched
> in 1808 to lead the British forces? He would encounter Napoléon
> again years later, this time under the title he acquired for
> his exploits in Spain.

Wellesley

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 1, 2017, 1:15:09 AM4/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:QpWdnRVj3bSYVUPFnZ2dnUU7-
fnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * British Prime Ministers
>
> 1. Who is regarded as the first British Prime Minister, in office
> 1721-42?

Pitt

> 2. Name the first Welsh-speaking PM, who led Britain in the
> Great War. He was in office 1916-22.

Lloyd George

> * This Week in History
>
> 4. The United States wasn't Japan's only target on 1941-12-07.
> Which colony defended by British, Canadian, and Indian troops,
> as well as by a local defense force, was attacked just 8 hours
> after the Pearl Harbor bombing?

Singapore

> 6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
> under which general?

Wingate

> * Prisoners of the Tower of London
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> 7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
> while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)

Kray

> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.

Penn

> 9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.

Hess

> * Independence
>
> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?

Haiti

> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?

Panama

> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.

Portugal

> * The Peninsular War
>
> 14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
> of Spain was Napoléon Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.

Joseph

> 15. What is the *family name* of the military commander dispatched
> in 1808 to lead the British forces? He would encounter Napoléon
> again years later, this time under the title he acquired for
> his exploits in Spain.

Wellesley

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 1, 2017, 5:17:10 AM4/1/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * This Week in History
>
> 4. The United States wasn't Japan's only target on 1941-12-07.
> Which colony defended by British, Canadian, and Indian troops,
> as well as by a local defense force, was attacked just 8 hours
> after the Pearl Harbor bombing?

Hongkong

> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?

Haïti

> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?

Panamá

> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.

Portugal

> 14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
> of Spain was Napoléon Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.

Joseph

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 1, 2017, 9:20:54 PM4/1/17
Kray
> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.
>
> 9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.
>

> * Independence
>
> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?
Haiti?
> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?
Panama

Pete Gayde

Apr 2, 2017, 2:30:20 PM4/2/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:QpWdnRVj3bSYVUPFnZ2dnUU7-
fnN...@giganews.com:

Singapore; Burma

> 5. On 1915-12-08, the poem "In Flanders Fields" appeared anonymously
> in which magazine?
>
> 6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
> under which general?
>

> * Prisoners of the Tower of London
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> 7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
> while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)
>
> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.
>
> 9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.

Hess

> * Independence
>
> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?

Canada

> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?

Panama canal zone

> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.

Spain; France

> * The Peninsular War
>
> This was the struggle between Napoleonic France and the forces of
> Spain, Portugal, and Britain.
>
> 13. The Peninsular War was triggered by an uprising of the citizens
> of Madrid against French troops occupying the city. The brutal
> suppression of this rebellion was captured in famous paintings
> by Goya. The anniversary of the uprising is still commemorated
> in Madrid and its date became the title of one of the paintings.
> What date in 1808 was this?
>
> 14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
> of Spain was Napoléon Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.
>
> 15. What is the *family name* of the military commander dispatched
> in 1808 to lead the British forces? He would encounter Napoléon
> again years later, this time under the title he acquired for
> his exploits in Spain.

Nelson

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Calvin

Apr 2, 2017, 7:21:58 PM4/2/17
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 7:20:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> History: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/hist.jpg
>

> * British Prime Ministers
>
> 1. Who is regarded as the first British Prime Minister, in office
> 1721-42?

Walpole

> 2. Name the first Welsh-speaking PM, who led Britain in the
> Great War. He was in office 1916-22.

Lloyd George

> 3. Succeeding <answer 2> was the only PM born outside the British
> Isles. A Canadian by birth, he served one year, 1922-23. Who?

Law

> * This Week in History
>
> 4. The United States wasn't Japan's only target on 1941-12-07.
> Which colony defended by British, Canadian, and Indian troops,
> as well as by a local defense force, was attacked just 8 hours
> after the Pearl Harbor bombing?

Hong Kong, Singapore

> 5. On 1915-12-08, the poem "In Flanders Fields" appeared anonymously
> in which magazine?

The Strand

> 6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
> under which general?

Montgomery

> * Prisoners of the Tower of London
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> 7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
> while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)

Kray

> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.
>
> 9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.

Hess

> * Independence
>
> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?

Haiti

> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?

Panama

> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.

Portugal, Spain

> * The Peninsular War
>
> This was the struggle between Napoleonic France and the forces of
> Spain, Portugal, and Britain.
>
> 13. The Peninsular War was triggered by an uprising of the citizens
> of Madrid against French troops occupying the city. The brutal
> suppression of this rebellion was captured in famous paintings
> by Goya. The anniversary of the uprising is still commemorated
> in Madrid and its date became the title of one of the paintings.
> What date in 1808 was this?

3 May

> 14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
> of Spain was Napoléon Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.

Louis

> 15. What is the *family name* of the military commander dispatched
> in 1808 to lead the British forces? He would encounter Napoléon
> again years later, this time under the title he acquired for
> his exploits in Spain.

Wellesey

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 2, 2017, 11:15:07 PM4/2/17
In article <QpWdnRVj3bSYVUPF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> History: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/hist.jpg
>

> * British Prime Ministers
>
> 1. Who is regarded as the first British Prime Minister, in office
> 1721-42?
>
> 2. Name the first Welsh-speaking PM, who led Britain in the
> Great War. He was in office 1916-22.
>
> 3. Succeeding <answer 2> was the only PM born outside the British
> Isles. A Canadian by birth, he served one year, 1922-23. Who?
>

> * This Week in History
>
> 4. The United States wasn't Japan's only target on 1941-12-07.
> Which colony defended by British, Canadian, and Indian troops,
> as well as by a local defense force, was attacked just 8 hours
> after the Pearl Harbor bombing?
>
> 5. On 1915-12-08, the poem "In Flanders Fields" appeared anonymously
> in which magazine?
>
> 6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
> under which general?
Allenby

> * Prisoners of the Tower of London
>
> In each case, name them.
>
> 7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
> while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)
Kray

> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.
>
> 9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.
>

> * Independence
>
> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?
Haiti

> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?
Panama

> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.
Portugal

> * The Peninsular War
>
> This was the struggle between Napoleonic France and the forces of
> Spain, Portugal, and Britain.
>
> 13. The Peninsular War was triggered by an uprising of the citizens
> of Madrid against French troops occupying the city. The brutal
> suppression of this rebellion was captured in famous paintings
> by Goya. The anniversary of the uprising is still commemorated
> in Madrid and its date became the title of one of the paintings.
> What date in 1808 was this?
>
> 14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
> of Spain was Napoléon Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.
>
> 15. What is the *family name* of the military commander dispatched
> in 1808 to lead the British forces? He would encounter Napoléon
> again years later, this time under the title he acquired for
> his exploits in Spain.

Mark Brader

Apr 3, 2017, 8:49:40 PM4/3/17

Mark Brader:
> Subject: QFTCIMM16 Game 10, Final: History

Obviously that was supposed to say "QFTCIMM16 Final, Round 2: History".
Sorry about that, folks.

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 2 - History

> History: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-2/hist.jpg

> * British Prime Ministers

> 1. Who is regarded as the first British Prime Minister, in office
> 1721-42?

Robert Walpole. 4 for Peter and Calvin.

> 2. Name the first Welsh-speaking PM, who led Britain in the
> Great War. He was in office 1916-22.

David Lloyd George. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 3. Succeeding <answer 2> was the only PM born outside the British
> Isles. A Canadian by birth, he served one year, 1922-23. Who?

Bonar Law. 4 for Peter and Calvin.

> * This Week in History

> 4. The United States wasn't Japan's only target on 1941-12-07.
> Which colony defended by British, Canadian, and Indian troops,
> as well as by a local defense force, was attacked just 8 hours
> after the Pearl Harbor bombing?

Hong Kong was the expected answer, but I'm accepting Singapore
as "almost correct"; see below. 4 for Don, Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Calvin (the hard way). 3 for Dan Blum and Joshua. 2 for Pete.

On this page:

http://www.emersonkent.com/history/timelines/pearl_harbor_attack_timeline.htm

you can see that within 9 hours after Pearl Harbor, the Japanese
had also attacked Shanghai's international settlement (they already
controlled the rest of the city), Singapore, Guam, the Philippines,
Hong Kong, and Wake Island. That page I cited uses Hawaiian local
time; in most of these places the date was actually 1941-12-08.

Although Singapore is now a separate country, in colonial days it was
just an important city in Malaya, not a separate colony. It's for
this reason that I'm only scoring it as "almost correct"; I don't
think the exact timing of the attack or the specific composition of
the British Commonwealth troops is a significant part of the question.

Of the list of places above, all but Pearl Harbor later fell to
the Japanese. In the case of Singapore, the city was well defended
from the water, so they attacked by land -- exactly as the British
had done in 1759 to capture Quebec City from the French, leading to
the end of French control of any of what is now Canada.

> 5. On 1915-12-08, the poem "In Flanders Fields" appeared anonymously
> in which magazine?

"Punch"! 4 for Peter.

> 6. On 1917-12-09, Jerusalem was captured by British forces --
> under which general?

Edmund Allenby. 4 for Dan Blum and Marc.

> * Prisoners of the Tower of London

> In each case, name them.

> 7. These gangster brothers spent a short time in the tower in 1952
> while awaiting a court-martial. (The surname will do.)

Ronald and Reginald Kray. 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason,
Calvin, and Marc.

> 8. This young Quaker was held for 8 months in 1668 for blasphemy.
> He later organized a mass emigration of persecuted minorities.

William Penn. 4 for Don, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 9. The last *state* prisoner to be held in the tower was captured
> in Scotland and kept in the tower for 4 days. Later he was
> tried for war crimes.

Rudolf Hess (1941). 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Calvin.

See: http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/biographies/apr-hess-cal.htm

> * Independence

> 10. The United States was the first country in the Western
> Hemisphere to gain independence from a European power.
> Which country was the second to do so -- from France, in 1804?

Haiti. 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Erland, Jason,
Calvin, and Marc.

> 11. After years of helping Colombia assert control, in 1903 the
> United States did an about-face and assisted *which region*
> in its bid to separate from Colombia?

Panama. 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Erland,
Jason, Calvin, and Marc.

You see, there was this canal the US wanted to build, and the
Colombian government wasn't interested in ceding of a zone across
the country so the US could also control it. But the cession of
the canal zone itself was an action of the new Panamanian government
and therefore the zone is a wrong answer.

> 12. The "Carnation Revolution" of 1974 ended 40 years of
> authoritarian rule in this country and any support for
> maintaining its then empire. Within a year, five colonies in
> Africa and one more in Southeast Asia gained formal independence.
> Name that colonial power.

Portugal. 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Erland,
and Marc. 3 for Calvin.

The former African colonies are now Angola, Cape or Cabo Verde,
Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, and São Tomé & Príncipe -- in other words,
all the members of PALOP (see Game 9, Round 7) other than Equatorial
Guinea, which has a different history. The Asian one is East Timor
or Timor-Leste. Several of these countries quickly found themselves
at war; East Timor, in particular, fell under Indonesian control
for decades before regaining its independence.

> * The Peninsular War

> This was the struggle between Napoleonic France and the forces of
> Spain, Portugal, and Britain.

> 13. The Peninsular War was triggered by an uprising of the citizens
> of Madrid against French troops occupying the city. The brutal
> suppression of this rebellion was captured in famous paintings
> by Goya. The anniversary of the uprising is still commemorated
> in Madrid and its date became the title of one of the paintings.
> What date in 1808 was this?

May 2. I'm scoring a 1-day error as "almost correct". So, 3 for
Calvin.

> 14. From 1808, the leader of the French Imperial forces and King
> of Spain was Napoléon Bonaparte's brother. Give his first name.

Joseph or Giuseppe. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Erland.

> 15. What is the *family name* of the military commander dispatched
> in 1808 to lead the British forces? He would encounter Napoléon
> again years later, this time under the title he acquired for
> his exploits in Spain.

Wellesley. (Arthur Wellesley, later Lord Wellington.) 4 for Peter,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His
"Calvin" 42 42
Joshua Kreitzer 39 39
Dan Blum 39 39
Peter Smyth 32 32
Dan Tilque 28 28
Don Piven 28 28
Marc Dashevsky 20 20
Erland Sommarskog 20 20
Jason Kreitzer 12 12
Pete Gayde 6 6

--
Mark Brader "I used to own a mind like a steel trap.
Toronto Perhaps if I'd specified a brass one, it