Calvin's Quiz #582

Calvin

Nov 21, 2019, 11:47:55 PM11/21/19

1 Which given name appears in the title of a Beatles' hit and a Thomas Hardy novel?
2 According to Greek mythology, who blinded Polyphemus?
3 Which Brian de Palma film, based on a 1987 Tom Wolfe satirical novel, starred Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis?
4 Bariatrics is a branch of medicine concerned with the treatment of what condition?
5 Which English entertainment reporter hosted the television series Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous from 1984 to 1995?
6 Which British anthropologist informally described his eponymous number as "the number of people you would not feel embarrassed about joining uninvited for a drink if you happened to bump into them in a bar"?
7 Which New Zealander won the 200 metre - 400 metre freestyle double at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics?
8 Which popular Asian beverage is often referred to as a variety of wine, though technically it more accurately classified as a beer?
9 Cougar Gold is one of America’s most popular cheeses despite being sold in what form of packaging?
10 The fictional event known as the Mad-Hatters Tea Party took place in whose garden?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Nov 22, 2019, 12:11:37 AM11/22/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which given name appears in the title of a Beatles' hit and a Thomas Hardy novel?

Jude

> 2 According to Greek mythology, who blinded Polyphemus?

Odysseus

> 3 Which Brian de Palma film, based on a 1987 Tom Wolfe satirical novel, starred Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis?

Bonfire of the Vanities

> 5 Which English entertainment reporter hosted the television series Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous from 1984 to 1995?

Robin Leach

> 8 Which popular Asian beverage is often referred to as a variety of wine, though technically it more accurately classified as a beer?

sake

> 10 The fictional event known as the Mad-Hatters Tea Party took place in whose garden?

March Hare

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joe

Nov 22, 2019, 1:33:01 AM11/22/19
On 2019-11-22 04:47:54 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 Which given name appears in the title of a Beatles' hit and a Thomas
> Hardy novel?

Jude

> 2 According to Greek mythology, who blinded Polyphemus?

Jason

> 3 Which Brian de Palma film, based on a 1987 Tom Wolfe satirical novel,
> starred Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis?

Bonfire of the Vanities

> 4 Bariatrics is a branch of medicine concerned with the treatment of
> what condition?

Asthma?

> 5 Which English entertainment reporter hosted the television series
> Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous from 1984 to 1995?

Brian Whicker?

> 6 Which British anthropologist informally described his eponymous
> number as "the number of people you would not feel embarrassed about
> joining uninvited for a drink if you happened to bump into them in a
> bar"?
> 7 Which New Zealander won the 200 metre - 400 metre freestyle double at
> the 1996 Atlanta Olympics?
> 8 Which popular Asian beverage is often referred to as a variety of
> wine, though technically it more accurately classified as a beer?

Sake

> 9 Cougar Gold is one of America’s most popular cheeses despite being
> sold in what form of packaging?

Unopenable

> 10 The fictional event known as the Mad-Hatters Tea Party took place in
> whose garden?

The Queen of Hearts? It's more than sixty years since I read that book.

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Mark Brader

Nov 22, 2019, 4:26:56 AM11/22/19
"Calvin":
> 1 Which given name appears in the title of a Beatles' hit and a
> Thomas Hardy novel?

Jude.

> 2 According to Greek mythology, who blinded Polyphemus?

Odysseus.

> 3 Which Brian de Palma film, based on a 1987 Tom Wolfe satirical
> novel, starred Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis?

"Bonfire of the Vanities"?

> 4 Bariatrics is a branch of medicine concerned with the
> treatment of what condition?

Obesity.

> 5 Which English entertainment reporter hosted the television
> series Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous from 1984 to 1995?

Leach.

> 6 Which British anthropologist informally described his
> eponymous number as "the number of people you would not feel
> embarrassed about joining uninvited for a drink if you happened
> to bump into them in a bar"?
> 7 Which New Zealander won the 200 metre - 400 metre freestyle
> double at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics?

Johnson.

> 8 Which popular Asian beverage is often referred to as a variety
> of wine, though technically it more accurately classified as a
> beer?

Sake.

> 9 Cougar Gold is one of America's most popular cheeses despite
> being sold in what form of packaging?

As slices?

> 10 The fictional event known as the Mad-Hatters Tea Party took
> place in whose garden?

The Red Queen?
--
Mark Brader "'Taxpayer' includes any person
Toronto whether or not liable to pay tax..."

Dan Tilque

Nov 22, 2019, 6:43:29 AM11/22/19
On 11/21/19 8:47 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which given name appears in the title of a Beatles' hit and a Thomas Hardy novel?

Jude

> 2 According to Greek mythology, who blinded Polyphemus?
> 3 Which Brian de Palma film, based on a 1987 Tom Wolfe satirical novel, starred Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis?
> 4 Bariatrics is a branch of medicine concerned with the treatment of what condition?

being overweight

> 5 Which English entertainment reporter hosted the television series Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous from 1984 to 1995?
> 6 Which British anthropologist informally described his eponymous number as "the number of people you would not feel embarrassed about joining uninvited for a drink if you happened to bump into them in a bar"?
> 7 Which New Zealander won the 200 metre - 400 metre freestyle double at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics?
> 8 Which popular Asian beverage is often referred to as a variety of wine, though technically it more accurately classified as a beer?

rice wine

> 9 Cougar Gold is one of America’s most popular cheeses despite being sold in what form of packaging?

cans

> 10 The fictional event known as the Mad-Hatters Tea Party took place in whose garden?

Queen of Hearts

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 22, 2019, 1:46:49 PM11/22/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which given name appears in the title of a Beatles' hit and a
> Thomas Hardy novel?

Michelle

> 8 Which popular Asian beverage is often referred to as a variety of
> wine, though technically it more accurately classified as a beer?

Sake

Calvin

Dec 1, 2019, 6:53:33 PM12/1/19
On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 2:47:55 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which given name appears in the title of a Beatles' hit and a Thomas Hardy novel?

Jude

> 2 According to Greek mythology, who blinded Polyphemus?

Odysseus / Ulysses

> 3 Which Brian de Palma film, based on a 1987 Tom Wolfe satirical novel, starred Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis?

The Bonfire of the Vanities

> 4 Bariatrics is a branch of medicine concerned with the treatment of what condition?

Obesity

> 5 Which English entertainment reporter hosted the television series Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous from 1984 to 1995?

Robin Leach

> 6 Which British anthropologist informally described his eponymous number as "the number of people you would not feel embarrassed about joining uninvited for a drink if you happened to bump into them in a bar"?

Robin Dunbar
I'm surprised that no-one got this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

> 7 Which New Zealander won the 200 metre - 400 metre freestyle double at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics?

Danyon Loader
I am NOT surprised that no-one got this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danyon_Loader

> 8 Which popular Asian beverage is often referred to as a variety of wine, though technically it more accurately classified as a beer?

Saki. I accepted rice wine.

> 9 Cougar Gold is one of America’s most popular cheeses despite being sold in what form of packaging?

Cans
Singleton for Dan T

> 10 The fictional event known as the Mad-Hatters Tea Party took place in whose garden?

March Hare
Singleton for Dan B

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 582
1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 6 17 Dan Blum
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 6 18 Mark Brader
1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 4 12 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 12 Joe
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 5 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
4 2 3 2 2 0 0 5 1 1 20 40%

That was a very tough set. Congratulations Dan B.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Dec 1, 2019, 9:58:01 PM12/1/19
On 12/1/19 3:53 PM, Calvin wrote:

>> 9 Cougar Gold is one of America’s most popular cheeses despite being sold in what form of packaging?
>
> Cans
> Singleton for Dan T

I had an advantage on this one. The cheese is made by my alma mater.

--
Dan Tilque