QFTCIWSS Game 7, Rounds 7-8: CanMuseum, D&D

Mark Brader

Oct 17, 2018, 4:37:33 AM10/17/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 4 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Museums

We're fortunate in that we have a wealth of museums -- national,
provincial, and private -- in this country. In each case in this
round, you give the name (in English) of the museum we describe.

Note: If the name is in the style "Canadian Museum of X" or similar,
"X" will be sufficient. If it's named after a person, the person's
surname will be sufficient. But in *any other case*, the *exact
full name* of the museum is required.

1. Originally opened in 1967, this Ottawa museum features the
crowd-pleasing exhibit "The Crazy Kitchen". It reopened in
November 2017 following an $80,000,000 renovation.

2. Housed in a distinctive round-roofed structure, this is the
largest civic museum in Canada. It shares the building with
the H.R. Macmillan Space Centre but occupies the majority of
the space. Established in 1894, it moved numerous times until
it finally landed in its permanent home in 1968. It's also
been renamed a few times: 1894, 1968, 1981, and 2009. What is
it called now?

3. This museum, designed by Japanese architect Fumihiko Maki,
features angular walls clad in white granite. It opened in
September 2014 and is located in North York.

4. The vision of Izzy Asper, this museum is the first new national
museum since 1967, the first located outside the National
Capital Region, and the first to result from a private/public
partnership. The stunning structure, designed by Antoine
Predock, opened to the public in September 2014 and is featured
on the back of the new $10 bill.

5. Designed by the architecture firm of Moriyama & Teshima, who are
also responsible for the Bata Shoe Museum, this national
museum was relocated to the remediated land of LeBreton Flats
and re-opened on its 125th anniversary in 2005. Each year,
the museum sponsors the Col. Douglas H. Gunter History Awards,
a national competition for senior-high-school students.

6. This museum is renowned for its displays of world art and
culture, in particular works by First Nation band governments
of the Pacific Northwest. As well as being a major tourist
destination, it is a research and teaching museum, housing over
500,000 ethnographic and archaeological objects, including the
Walter and Marianne Koerner collection. Designed by renowned
Canadian architect Arthur Erickson, it opened its doors in 1976.

7. Its chronological galleries represent the 3,900,000,000-year
history of life on Earth. It houses a collection of over 130,000
fossils and is a major center for paleontological research.
It opened in 1985 and is named after the geologist who, while
searching for coal seams, discovered the albertosaurus in 1884.

8. This Halifax museum began in 1999 as an independent institution
housed at Pier 21, a former ocean liner terminal used from 1928
to 1971. Often compared to Ellis Island, it became a national
museum, run by the Federal government, in 2011.

9. Established in Peterborough in 1997, this museum's mission
is to preserve and share the culture and history of
this characteristically Canadian mode of transportation.
The museum is in the midst of a $65,000,000 fund-raising
campaign for expansion and relocation from its current site
on Monaghan Rd. to land owned by Parks Canada next to the lift
lock on the Trent-Severn Waterway.

10. Founded in 1921, based on this family's collection of objects,
this Canadian national history museum's collection now includes
over 1,400,000 objects, artifacts, photographs, and manuscripts,
many relating to the history and cultures of Canada's Aboriginal
peoples. The museum is at 690 Sherbrooke St. W. in Montreal.

* Game 7, Round 8 - Leisure - Monsters in "Dungeons & Dragons"

Beyond dragons and orcs, there are a whole horde of monsters that
have been created over the years for the "Dungeons & Dragons"
role-playing game. Please see the 2-page handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/dd.pdf

And give the numbers of the following monsters:

1. Gelatinous cube.
2. Owlbear.
3. Beholder.
4. Mind flayer.
5. Coatl ["ko-AT'll"].
6. Ettin.
7. Gnoll.
8. Modron.
9. Mimic.
10. Rust monster.

And if yo'd like to try the 8 decoys for fun, but for no points,
please decode the rot13 and continue:

11. Fynnq.
12. Qvfcynpre ornfg.
13. Lhna-Gv.
14. Kbea.
15. Hzore uhyx.
16. Syhzcu.
17. Gneenfdhr.
18. Tynoermh.

--
Mark Brader | "I can direct dial today a man my parents warred with.
Toronto | They wanted to kill him, I want to sell software to him."

Dan Blum

Oct 17, 2018, 8:33:53 AM10/17/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Leisure - Monsters in "Dungeons & Dragons"

> 1. Gelatinous cube.

11

4

6

> 4. Mind flayer.

14

> 5. Coatl ["ko-AT'll"].

16

9

7

> 8. Modron.

12; 13

> 9. Mimic.

18

> 10. Rust monster.

10

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 18, 2018, 1:11:32 AM10/18/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:X6GdnVyW0sVVaVvGnZ2dnUU7-
UXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Museums

No answers here.

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Leisure - Monsters in "Dungeons & Dragons"
>
> Beyond dragons and orcs, there are a whole horde of monsters that
> have been created over the years for the "Dungeons & Dragons"
> role-playing game. Please see the 2-page handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/dd.pdf
>
> And give the numbers of the following monsters:
>
> 1. Gelatinous cube.

11

4

6

> 4. Mind flayer.

5; 17

> 5. Coatl ["ko-AT'll"].

16

> 6. Ettin.

1; 2

9

> 8. Modron.

3; 5

> 9. Mimic.

7; 8

> 10. Rust monster.

13

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Oct 18, 2018, 1:42:51 AM10/18/18
11

4

6

> 4. Mind flayer.

14

9

7

> 8. Modron.
> 9. Mimic.

18

2

1

> 17. Gneenfdhr.
> 18. Tynoermh.

If I got any of them right, it's due to reading Order of the Stick.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2018, 1:54:37 AM10/21/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-09,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Museums

> We're fortunate in that we have a wealth of museums -- national,
> provincial, and private -- in this country. In each case in this
> round, you give the name (in English) of the museum we describe.

> Note: If the name is in the style "Canadian Museum of X" or similar,
> "X" will be sufficient. If it's named after a person, the person's
> surname will be sufficient. But in *any other case*, the *exact
> full name* of the museum is required.

> 1. Originally opened in 1967, this Ottawa museum features the
> crowd-pleasing exhibit "The Crazy Kitchen". It reopened in
> November 2017 following an $80,000,000 renovation.

Canadian Museum of Science and Technology.

> 2. Housed in a distinctive round-roofed structure, this is the
> largest civic museum in Canada. It shares the building with
> the H.R. Macmillan Space Centre but occupies the majority of
> the space. Established in 1894, it moved numerous times until
> it finally landed in its permanent home in 1968. It's also
> been renamed a few times: 1894, 1968, 1981, and 2009. What is
> it called now?

Museum of Vancouver. (Exact name required.)

> 3. This museum, designed by Japanese architect Fumihiko Maki,
> features angular walls clad in white granite. It opened in
> September 2014 and is located in North York.

Aga Khan Museum.

> 4. The vision of Izzy Asper, this museum is the first new national
> museum since 1967, the first located outside the National
> Capital Region, and the first to result from a private/public
> partnership. The stunning structure, designed by Antoine
> Predock, opened to the public in September 2014 and is featured
> on the back of the new $10 bill.

Canadian Museum for [sic] Human Rights.

> 5. Designed by the architecture firm of Moriyama & Teshima, who are
> also responsible for the Bata Shoe Museum, this national
> museum was relocated to the remediated land of LeBreton Flats
> and re-opened on its 125th anniversary in 2005. Each year,
> the museum sponsors the Col. Douglas H. Gunter History Awards,
> a national competition for senior-high-school students.

Canadian War Museum.

> 6. This museum is renowned for its displays of world art and
> culture, in particular works by First Nation band governments
> of the Pacific Northwest. As well as being a major tourist
> destination, it is a research and teaching museum, housing over
> 500,000 ethnographic and archaeological objects, including the
> Walter and Marianne Koerner collection. Designed by renowned
> Canadian architect Arthur Erickson, it opened its doors in 1976.

Museum of Anthropology. (Exact name required. It's at UBC in
Vancouver.)

> 7. Its chronological galleries represent the 3,900,000,000-year
> history of life on Earth. It houses a collection of over 130,000
> fossils and is a major center for paleontological research.
> It opened in 1985 and is named after the geologist who, while
> searching for coal seams, discovered the albertosaurus in 1884.

Royal Tyrell Museum of Paleontology.

> 8. This Halifax museum began in 1999 as an independent institution
> housed at Pier 21, a former ocean liner terminal used from 1928
> to 1971. Often compared to Ellis Island, it became a national
> museum, run by the Federal government, in 2011.

Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21. ("Immigration" was
sufficient.)

> 9. Established in Peterborough in 1997, this museum's mission
> is to preserve and share the culture and history of
> this characteristically Canadian mode of transportation.
> The museum is in the midst of a $65,000,000 fund-raising
> campaign for expansion and relocation from its current site
> on Monaghan Rd. to land owned by Parks Canada next to the lift
> lock on the Trent-Severn Waterway.

Canadian Canoe Museum.

> 10. Founded in 1921, based on this family's collection of objects,
> this Canadian national history museum's collection now includes
> over 1,400,000 objects, artifacts, photographs, and manuscripts,
> many relating to the history and cultures of Canada's Aboriginal
> peoples. The museum is at 690 Sherbrooke St. W. in Montreal.

McCord Museum of Canadian History.

Not even any guesses? Pitiful. Okay, this round never happened either,
and Game 7 will be scored on year best 4 rounds out of 6!

#11. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

#4. 4 for everyone.

#6. 4 for everyone.

#14. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

#16. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

#9. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

#7. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

#13. 2 for Dan Blum.

#18. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

#3. 4 for Joshua.

> And if yo'd like to try the 8 decoys for fun, but for no points,
> please decode the rot13 and continue:

> 11. Slaad.

PBEE #15.

> 12. Displacer beast.

PBEE #12.

> 13. Yuan-Ti.

PBEE #8.

> 14. Xorn.

PBEE #10.

> 15. Umber hulk.

PBEE #17.

#1. Dan Tilque got this.

#2.

#5.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 8 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Geo Lit Lei
Dan Blum 12 16 25 34 87
Joshua Kreitzer 12 12 28 20 72
Dan Tilque 8 13 20 28 69
"Calvin" 11 8 30 -- 49
Pete Gayde 8 17 16 -- 41
Erland Sommarskog 8 28 0 -- 36
Peter Smyth 11 -- -- -- 11
Jason Kreitzer -- 4 4 -- 8

--
Mark Brader | "Nothing is more sacrosanct than our professional ethics.
Toronto | Fortunately, I know a trick to get around them."

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2018, 2:02:18 AM10/21/18
Mark Brader:
> > 11. Slaad.
>
> PBEE #15.

Sorry, preese ignore the extra PBEEs in these decoy answers.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "No victor believes in chance."
m...@vex.net -- Nietzsche (trans. Kaufmann)