QFTCIBSI Final, Round 6: Sports

Mark Brader

May 27, 2016, 10:30:01 PM5/27/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 6 - Sports

* Before & After

For each question we'll show you pictures of two figures from the
world of sports -- where the last name of the first one is the same
as the first name of the second. You combine the names by omitting
the repetition, and give us the 3-word result. For example, if we
were basing this on people on American money instead of sports, then
you might expect the answer Benjamin Franklin Roosevelt to come up.

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/1.jpg
2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/2.jpg
3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/3.jpg

* Olympic Cities

In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
Olympic Games. These are all summer games.

4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
water polo.

6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
respectively.

* Super Bowl Madness

In each case, name *either* of the teams that played in the relevant
Super Bowl.

7. The only game *ever* in American professional football to finish
with a score of 43-8.

8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.

9. Nicknamed the "Blackout Bowl" after the lights in the Superdome
go out early in the third quarter.

* Professional Wrestlers

We give the birth name of a wrestler and an additional clue;
you have his professional name.

10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.

11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...

12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.

* Texas Hold'Em Hands

In Texas Hold'Em poker, each player receives two cards. Each 2-card
combination has a variety of nicknames. For example, if you have
a pair of cards with the nickname "Kuwait", you would have Q-8.
Another example: if you had "Jack Bauer", the answer would be 2-4.
So what 2-card hands are these?

13. Crosby.
14. Dolly Parton.
15. Flat Tire.

--
Mark Brader "Fighting off all of the species which you
Toronto have insulted would be a full-time mission."

Joshua Kreitzer

May 27, 2016, 10:54:42 PM5/27/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:jLOdnXzgwJI0n9TKnZ2dnUU7-
SfN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports
>
> * Before & After
>
> For each question we'll show you pictures of two figures from the
> world of sports -- where the last name of the first one is the same
> as the first name of the second. You combine the names by omitting
> the repetition, and give us the 3-word result.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/1.jpg

George Brett Favre

> * Olympic Cities
>
> In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.
>
> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

London

> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.

Melbourne

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.

Mexico City

> * Super Bowl Madness
>
> In each case, name *either* of the teams that played in the relevant
> Super Bowl.
>
> 7. The only game *ever* in American professional football to finish
> with a score of 43-8.

New England Patriots

> 8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.

New England Patriots

> 9. Nicknamed the "Blackout Bowl" after the lights in the Superdome
> go out early in the third quarter.

New England Patriots

> * Professional Wrestlers
>
> We give the birth name of a wrestler and an additional clue;
> you have his professional name.
>
> 10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
> uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.

Mankind

> 11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
> George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...

The Undertaker

> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.

The Rock

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands
>
> In Texas Hold'Em poker, each player receives two cards. Each 2-card
> combination has a variety of nicknames. For example, if you have
> a pair of cards with the nickname "Kuwait", you would have Q-8.
> Another example: if you had "Jack Bauer", the answer would be 2-4.
> So what 2-card hands are these?
>
> 14. Dolly Parton.

8-8 (?)

> 15. Flat Tire.

Q-Q (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

May 27, 2016, 11:15:49 PM5/27/16
Mankind
> 11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
> George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...
The Undertaker
> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.
The Rock

Dan Blum

May 27, 2016, 11:50:02 PM5/27/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports

> * Olympic Cities

> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

Paris

> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.

Sydney

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.

Mexico City

> * Super Bowl Madness

> 8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.

Giants; Bears

> * Professional Wrestlers

> 10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
> uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.

Mankind

> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.

The Rock

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands

> 14. Dolly Parton.

8-8; 9-5

> 15. Flat Tire.

J-K

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

May 28, 2016, 4:42:46 AM5/28/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Olympic Cities
>
> In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.
>
> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

Paris

> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.

Melbourne

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.

Mexico City

Peter Smyth

May 28, 2016, 5:01:10 AM5/28/16
Lennox Lewis Hamilton

> * Olympic Cities
>
> In each case, name either the year or the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.
>
> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.
London
> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.
Melbourne
> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.
Mexico City

> * Super Bowl Madness
>
> In each case, name either of the teams that played in the relevant
> Super Bowl.
>
> 7. The only game ever in American professional football to finish
> with a score of 43-8.
Patriots, Packers
> 8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.
Patriots, Packers
> 9. Nicknamed the "Blackout Bowl" after the lights in the Superdome
> go out early in the third quarter.
Patriots, Packers

> * Professional Wrestlers
>
> We give the birth name of a wrestler and an additional clue;
> you have his professional name.
>
> 10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
> uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.
Mankind
> 11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
> George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...
The Undertaker
> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.
The Rock

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands
>
> In Texas Hold'Em poker, each player receives two cards. Each 2-card
> combination has a variety of nicknames. For example, if you have
> a pair of cards with the nickname "Kuwait", you would have Q-8.
> Another example: if you had "Jack Bauer", the answer would be 2-4.
> So what 2-card hands are these?
>
> 13. Crosby.
> 14. Dolly Parton.
> 15. Flat Tire.

Peter Smyth

Björn Lundin

May 28, 2016, 8:47:54 AM5/28/16
On 2016-05-28 04:30, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports
>

> * Olympic Cities
>
> In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.
>
> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

Los Angeles; London

> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.

Melbourne

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.

Mexico City

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands
>

> 14. Dolly Parton.

8-8 ?

Björn

Dan Tilque

May 28, 2016, 12:45:35 PM5/28/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports
>
> * Before & After
>
> For each question we'll show you pictures of two figures from the
> world of sports -- where the last name of the first one is the same
> as the first name of the second. You combine the names by omitting
> the repetition, and give us the 3-word result. For example, if we
> were basing this on people on American money instead of sports, then
> you might expect the answer Benjamin Franklin Roosevelt to come up.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/1.jpg
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/2.jpg
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/3.jpg
>

> * Olympic Cities
>
> In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.
>
> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

London

> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.

Melbourne

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.

Mexico City

> * Super Bowl Madness
>
> In each case, name *either* of the teams that played in the relevant
> Super Bowl.
>
> 7. The only game *ever* in American professional football to finish
> with a score of 43-8.
>
> 8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.
>
> 9. Nicknamed the "Blackout Bowl" after the lights in the Superdome
> go out early in the third quarter.
>

> * Professional Wrestlers
>
> We give the birth name of a wrestler and an additional clue;
> you have his professional name.
>
> 10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
> uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.
>
> 11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
> George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...
>
> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.
>

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands
>
> In Texas Hold'Em poker, each player receives two cards. Each 2-card
> combination has a variety of nicknames. For example, if you have
> a pair of cards with the nickname "Kuwait", you would have Q-8.
> Another example: if you had "Jack Bauer", the answer would be 2-4.
> So what 2-card hands are these?
>
> 13. Crosby.
> 14. Dolly Parton.

Q-Q

--
Dan Tilque

swp

May 28, 2016, 7:48:32 PM5/28/16
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 10:30:01 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

strange things are afoot at the circle-k, ted.

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports
>
> * Before & After
>
> For each question we'll show you pictures of two figures from the
> world of sports -- where the last name of the first one is the same
> as the first name of the second. You combine the names by omitting
> the repetition, and give us the 3-word result. For example, if we
> were basing this on people on American money instead of sports, then
> you might expect the answer Benjamin Franklin Roosevelt to come up.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/1.jpg

george grett favre

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/2.jpg

big ben revere

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/3.jpg

carl lewis hamilton

> * Olympic Cities
>
> In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.
>
> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

paris

> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.

melbourne

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.

mexico city

> * Super Bowl Madness
>
> In each case, name *either* of the teams that played in the relevant
> Super Bowl.
>
> 7. The only game *ever* in American professional football to finish
> with a score of 43-8.

denver broncos

> 8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.

new england patriots

> 9. Nicknamed the "Blackout Bowl" after the lights in the Superdome
> go out early in the third quarter.

san francisco 49ers

> * Professional Wrestlers
>
> We give the birth name of a wrestler and an additional clue;
> you have his professional name.
>
> 10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
> uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.

mankind (note: he had many ring names over his career, including 'cactus jack')

> 11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
> George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...

the undertaker

> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.

the rock

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands
>
> In Texas Hold'Em poker, each player receives two cards. Each 2-card
> combination has a variety of nicknames. For example, if you have
> a pair of cards with the nickname "Kuwait", you would have Q-8.
> Another example: if you had "Jack Bauer", the answer would be 2-4.
> So what 2-card hands are these?
>
> 13. Crosby.

8-7 (after sidney crosby, the hockey player)

> 14. Dolly Parton.

9-5 (a reference to the movie)

> 15. Flat Tire.

J-4 (what's a jack for?)

swp

Marc Dashevsky

May 28, 2016, 9:49:29 PM5/28/16
In article <jLOdnXzgwJI0n9TK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports
>
> * Before & After
>
> For each question we'll show you pictures of two figures from the
> world of sports -- where the last name of the first one is the same
> as the first name of the second. You combine the names by omitting
> the repetition, and give us the 3-word result. For example, if we
> were basing this on people on American money instead of sports, then
> you might expect the answer Benjamin Franklin Roosevelt to come up.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/1.jpg
George Brett Favre

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/2.jpg
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/3.jpg
>

> * Olympic Cities
>
> In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.
>
> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.
>
> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.
Melbourne

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.
Mexico City

> * Super Bowl Madness
>
> In each case, name *either* of the teams that played in the relevant
> Super Bowl.
>
> 7. The only game *ever* in American professional football to finish
> with a score of 43-8.
Denver Broncos

> 8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.
New England Patriots

> 9. Nicknamed the "Blackout Bowl" after the lights in the Superdome
> go out early in the third quarter.
Baltimore Ravens

> * Professional Wrestlers
>
> We give the birth name of a wrestler and an additional clue;
> you have his professional name.
>
> 10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
> uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.
>
> 11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
> George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...
>
> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.
The Rock

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands
>
> In Texas Hold'Em poker, each player receives two cards. Each 2-card
> combination has a variety of nicknames. For example, if you have
> a pair of cards with the nickname "Kuwait", you would have Q-8.
> Another example: if you had "Jack Bauer", the answer would be 2-4.
> So what 2-card hands are these?
>
> 13. Crosby.
> 14. Dolly Parton.
> 15. Flat Tire.

Calvin

May 28, 2016, 10:53:19 PM5/28/16
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 12:30:01 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports
>
> * Before & After

Lennox Lewis Hamilton

> * Olympic Cities
>
> In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.
>
> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

Paris

> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.

Melbourne

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.

Mexico City

> * Super Bowl Madness
>
> In each case, name *either* of the teams that played in the relevant
> Super Bowl.
>
> 7. The only game *ever* in American professional football to finish
> with a score of 43-8.

Broncos, Patriots

> 8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.

Patriots, Packers

> 9. Nicknamed the "Blackout Bowl" after the lights in the Superdome
> go out early in the third quarter.

Broncos, Patriots

> * Professional Wrestlers
>
> We give the birth name of a wrestler and an additional clue;
> you have his professional name.
>
> 10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
> uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.

Giant

> 11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
> George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...

Undertaker

> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.

The Rock

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands
>
> In Texas Hold'Em poker, each player receives two cards. Each 2-card
> combination has a variety of nicknames. For example, if you have
> a pair of cards with the nickname "Kuwait", you would have Q-8.
> Another example: if you had "Jack Bauer", the answer would be 2-4.
> So what 2-card hands are these?
>
> 13. Crosby.
> 14. Dolly Parton.

9-5

> 15. Flat Tire.

Q-9, Q-6

cheers,
calvin

Pete

May 29, 2016, 9:34:32 PM5/29/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:jLOdnXzgwJI0n9TKnZ2dnUU7-
SfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports
>
> * Before & After
>
> For each question we'll show you pictures of two figures from the
> world of sports -- where the last name of the first one is the same
> as the first name of the second. You combine the names by omitting
> the repetition, and give us the 3-word result. For example, if we
> were basing this on people on American money instead of sports, then
> you might expect the answer Benjamin Franklin Roosevelt to come up.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/1.jpg

George Brett Favre

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/2.jpg
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/3.jpg
>

> * Olympic Cities
>
> In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.
>
> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

Paris

> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.

Melbourne

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.

Mexico City

> * Super Bowl Madness
>
> In each case, name *either* of the teams that played in the relevant
> Super Bowl.
>
> 7. The only game *ever* in American professional football to finish
> with a score of 43-8.

Denver Broncos

> 8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.
>
> 9. Nicknamed the "Blackout Bowl" after the lights in the Superdome
> go out early in the third quarter.

New Orleans Saints

> * Professional Wrestlers
>
> We give the birth name of a wrestler and an additional clue;
> you have his professional name.
>
> 10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
> uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.

Mankind

> 11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
> George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...
>
> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.

The Rock

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands
>
> In Texas Hold'Em poker, each player receives two cards. Each 2-card
> combination has a variety of nicknames. For example, if you have
> a pair of cards with the nickname "Kuwait", you would have Q-8.
> Another example: if you had "Jack Bauer", the answer would be 2-4.
> So what 2-card hands are these?
>
> 13. Crosby.
> 14. Dolly Parton.

2 aces

> 15. Flat Tire.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

May 30, 2016, 11:53:32 PM5/30/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports

This was tied with Round 3 (Science) for being the hardest in the
original game.

> * Before & After

> For each question we'll show you pictures of two figures from the
> world of sports -- where the last name of the first one is the same
> as the first name of the second. You combine the names by omitting
> the repetition, and give us the 3-word result. For example, if we
> were basing this on people on American money instead of sports, then
> you might expect the answer Benjamin Franklin Roosevelt to come up.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/1.jpg

George Brett Favre. (Baseball and American football.) 4 for Joshua,
Stephen, Marc, and Pete.

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/2.jpg

Big Ben Revere. (Horse racing and baseball.) 4 for Stephen.

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-6/ba/3.jpg

Lennox Lewis Hamilton. (Boxing and car racing.) 4 for Peter
and Calvin.

> * Olympic Cities

> In each case, name *either* the year *or* the host city of the
> Olympic Games. These are all summer games.

> 4. For the first time, a city hosts a second Olympic Games; Paavo
> Nurmi wins 5 gold medals.

Paris, 1924. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen, Calvin, and Pete.

The first Paris Olympics were in 1900, although the games were
simultaneously part of the world's fair held there that year, and
the designation as Olympic games was retroactive. London was a
popular wrong answer, but their second Olympics were not until 1948.

> 5. The first Olympic Games held in the Southern Hemisphere;
> Hungary and the USSR literally fight it out for gold in
> water polo.

Melbourne, 1956. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Peter, Dan Tilque, Björn,
Stephen, Marc, Calvin, and Pete.

> 6. Held at the highest altitude of all Summer Olympics to date;
> Bob Beamon and Dick Fosbury soar in the long and high jumps,
> respectively.

Mexico City, 1968. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Peter, Dan Tilque,
Björn, Stephen, Marc, Calvin, and Pete.

> * Super Bowl Madness

> In each case, name *either* of the teams that played in the relevant
> Super Bowl.

> 7. The only game *ever* in American professional football to finish
> with a score of 43-8.

Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks. 4 for Stephen, Marc, and Pete.
3 for Calvin.

A team score of 8 for a game is rare in American football because
of their silly scoring on kicks.

> 8. Janet Jackson has a "wardrobe malfunction"... allegedly.

New England Patriots, Carolina Panthers. 4 for Joshua, Stephen,
and Marc. 3 for Peter and Calvin.

> 9. Nicknamed the "Blackout Bowl" after the lights in the Superdome
> go out early in the third quarter.

San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens. 4 for Stephen and Marc.

> * Professional Wrestlers

> We give the birth name of a wrestler and an additional clue;
> you have his professional name.

> 10. Michael ("Mick") Foley -- the 11th word of a famous quote
> uttered at 02:56 Greenwich Mean Time, 1969-07-21.

Mankind. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, and Pete.

Armstrong reviewed the audio recording in 1999 and agreed that he
had indeed said "man" instead of "a man" as he'd intended, making
"mankind" the 11th word of the line.

> 11. Mark William Calaway -- John was the minister; Paul, the corpse;
> George, the gravedigger; and Ringo was...

The Undertaker. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Peter, Stephen, and Calvin.

> 12. Dwayne Johnson -- Al Capone called it home from 1934 to 1939.

The Rock. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, Marc,
Calvin, and Pete.

> * Texas Hold'Em Hands

> In Texas Hold'Em poker, each player receives two cards. Each 2-card
> combination has a variety of nicknames. For example, if you have
> a pair of cards with the nickname "Kuwait", you would have Q-8.
> Another example: if you had "Jack Bauer", the answer would be 2-4.
> So what 2-card hands are these?

> 13. Crosby.

8-7 (think Sidney). 4 for Stephen.

> 14. Dolly Parton.

9-5 (think movies). 4 for Stephen and Calvin. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 15. Flat Tire.

Jack-4 (think "for"; no, I don't like it either). 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Sci His Spo
Stephen Perry -- 60 56 56 172
Marc Dashevsky 32 51 48 28 159
Joshua Kreitzer 48 33 48 28 157
Dan Blum 40 32 28 18 118
"Calvin" 20 25 34 34 113
Dan Tilque 16 40 44 8 108
Peter Smyth -- 38 38 27 103
Björn Lundin 0 29 40 8 77
Erland Sommarskog -- 31 32 12 75
Bruce Bowler -- 48 -- -- 48
Jason Kreitzer 8 4 8 12 32
Pete Gayde 4 -- -- 28 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Yet Another Wonderful Novelty -- YAWN!"
m...@vex.net -- Liam Quin