QFTCIMM16 Final, Round 10: Challenge Round

Mark Brader

Apr 21, 2017, 10:18:08 PM4/21/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

Challenge: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/chal.jpg

* A. Famous Transsexuals

A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
*She* is now serving 35 years. Name her.

A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel
writer of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax
Britannica" trilogy. Name her.

A3. After becoming a woman in 1976, she sued the US Tennis
Association for barring her from playing in the US Open
and Wimbledon. Name her.

* B. Chinese Movie Directors

You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname
in either order. Each name you give must be correct.

B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
Dragon"?

B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?

B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
Daggers"?

* C. Kings of Sport

C1. Name the current Seattle Mariners pitcher whose nickname
is King.

C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
the King.

C3. Which golfer was known as the King?

* D. History of Mesopotamia

D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
step pyramids known by?

D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?

D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?

* E. Soups and Stews

E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
with what ingredient?

E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners:
a browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as filé
["FEE-lay"], and... which plant of the mallow family?

E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include
lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.

* F. False Friends -- Spanish and English

These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact
they mean something quite different.

F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?

F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?

F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
"bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Winning isn't everything, but not trying to win
m...@vex.net | is less than nothing." --Anton van Uitert

Dan Blum

Apr 21, 2017, 10:31:24 PM4/21/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Famous Transsexuals

> A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
> *She* is now serving 35 years. Name her.

Chelsea Manning

> A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
> in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel
> writer of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax
> Britannica" trilogy. Name her.

Jan Morris

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors

> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?

Ang Lee

> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?

Ang Lee

> * D. History of Mesopotamia

> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?

ziggurat

> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
> name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?

Hammurabi

> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?

cuneiform

> * E. Soups and Stews

> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?

tomato

> E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
> its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners:
> a browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as fil?
> ["FEE-lay"], and... which plant of the mallow family?

okra

> E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
> spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include
> lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
> fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.

tom kha

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English

> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?

pregnant

> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?

bother

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 22, 2017, 12:10:24 AM4/22/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:BMudndXVXN3HIGfFnZ2dnUU7-
WHN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Famous Transsexuals
>
> A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
> *She* is now serving 35 years. Name her.

Manning

> A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
> in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel
> writer of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax
> Britannica" trilogy. Name her.

Morris

> A3. After becoming a woman in 1976, she sued the US Tennis
> Association for barring her from playing in the US Open
> and Wimbledon. Name her.

Renee Richards

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors
>
> You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname
> in either order. Each name you give must be correct.
>
> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?

Ang Lee

> B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?

Wong Kar-wai

> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?

Zhang Yimou

> * D. History of Mesopotamia
>
> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?

ziggurats

> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
> name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?

Hammurabi

> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?

cuneiform

> * E. Soups and Stews
>
> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?

tomato soup

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English
>
> These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact
> they mean something quite different.
>
> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?

pregnant

> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?

to bother

> F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
> "bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?

fight fires

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Apr 22, 2017, 4:28:22 AM4/22/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Challenge: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/chal.jpg
>

> * A. Famous Transsexuals
>
> A1. He was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
> She is now serving 35 years. Name her.
Chelsea Manning
> A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
> in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel
> writer of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax
> Britannica" trilogy. Name her.
>
> A3. After becoming a woman in 1976, she sued the US Tennis
> Association for barring her from playing in the US Open
> and Wimbledon. Name her.
Renee Richards

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors
>
> You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname
> in either order. Each name you give must be correct.
>
> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?
Ang Lee
> B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?
>
> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?
>

> * C. Kings of Sport
>
> C1. Name the current Seattle Mariners pitcher whose nickname
> is King.
>
> C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
> the King.
>
> C3. Which golfer was known as the King?
Arnold Palmer

> * D. History of Mesopotamia
>
> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?
Ziggurat
> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
> name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?
Hammurabi
> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?
Cuneiform

> * E. Soups and Stews
>
> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?
>
> E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
> its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners:
> a browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as filé
> ["FEE-lay"], and... which plant of the mallow family?
>
> E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
> spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include
> lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
> fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.
>

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English
>
> These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact
> they mean something quite different.
>
> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?
>
> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?
>
> F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
> "bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 22, 2017, 4:44:22 AM4/22/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
> *She* is now serving 35 years. Name her.

Chelsea Manning

> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?

Ang Lee

> C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
> the King.

Henrik Lundkvist

> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?

Pagoda. :-)

> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?

Cuneiform

> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?

Whiskey

> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?

Pregnant

> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?

Destroy

> F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
> "bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?

Fight fires

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 22, 2017, 11:03:39 PM4/22/17
Renee Richards

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors
>
> You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname
> in either order. Each name you give must be correct.
>
> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?
Ang Li
> B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?
>
> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?
>

> * C. Kings of Sport
>
> C1. Name the current Seattle Mariners pitcher whose nickname
> is King.
>
> C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
> the King.
>
> C3. Which golfer was known as the King?
>

> * D. History of Mesopotamia
>
> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?
Ziggurats
> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
> name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?
Hammurabi
> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?
>

> * E. Soups and Stews
>
> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?
>
> E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
> its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners:
> a browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as filé
> ["FEE-lay"], and... which plant of the mallow family?
>
> E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
> spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include
> lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
> fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.
>

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English
>
> These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact
> they mean something quite different.
>
> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?
Pregnant
> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?
Bothering
> F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
> "bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?
Fights fires?

Dan Tilque

Apr 22, 2017, 11:57:03 PM4/22/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Challenge: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/chal.jpg
>

> * A. Famous Transsexuals
>
> A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
> *She* is now serving 35 years. Name her.

Manning

(and her sentence has been commuted to 7 years. She'll be getting out
next month, I think.)

> A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
> in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel
> writer of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax
> Britannica" trilogy. Name her.

Jorgensen

> A3. After becoming a woman in 1976, she sued the US Tennis
> Association for barring her from playing in the US Open
> and Wimbledon. Name her.

Richards

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors
>
> You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname
> in either order. Each name you give must be correct.
>
> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?
>
> B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?
>
> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?
>

> * C. Kings of Sport
>
> C1. Name the current Seattle Mariners pitcher whose nickname
> is King.

Felix Hernandez

> C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
> the King.
>
> C3. Which golfer was known as the King?
>

> * D. History of Mesopotamia
>
> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?

ziggarat

> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
> name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?

Hammurabi

> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?

cuneiform

> * E. Soups and Stews
>
> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?

tomato

> E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
> its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners:
> a browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as filé
> ["FEE-lay"], and... which plant of the mallow family?

okra

> E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
> spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include
> lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
> fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.
>

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English
>
> These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact
> they mean something quite different.
>
> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?
>
> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?

disturb

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Apr 23, 2017, 6:43:41 PM4/23/17
On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 12:18:08 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Challenge: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/chal.jpg
>

> * A. Famous Transsexuals
>
> A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
> *She* is now serving 35 years. Name her.

Manning

> A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
> in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel
> writer of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax
> Britannica" trilogy. Name her.
>
> A3. After becoming a woman in 1976, she sued the US Tennis
> Association for barring her from playing in the US Open
> and Wimbledon. Name her.
>

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors
>
> You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname
> in either order. Each name you give must be correct.
>
> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?

Ang Lee

> B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?

Lee, Chan

> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?

Lee, Chan

> * C. Kings of Sport
>
> C1. Name the current Seattle Mariners pitcher whose nickname
> is King.
>
> C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
> the King.
>
> C3. Which golfer was known as the King?

Palmer

> * D. History of Mesopotamia
>
> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?

Ziggurats

> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
> name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?

Hammurabi

> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?

Cuneiform

> * E. Soups and Stews
>
> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?
>
> E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
> its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners:
> a browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as filé
> ["FEE-lay"], and... which plant of the mallow family?
>
> E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
> spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include
> lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
> fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.
>

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English
>
> These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact
> they mean something quite different.
>
> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?
>
> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?
>
> F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
> "bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 24, 2017, 9:39:23 AM4/24/17
In article <BMudndXVXN3HIGfF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Challenge: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/chal.jpg
>

> * A. Famous Transsexuals
>
> A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
> *She* is now serving 35 years. Name her.
>
> A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
> in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel
> writer of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax
> Britannica" trilogy. Name her.
>
> A3. After becoming a woman in 1976, she sued the US Tennis
> Association for barring her from playing in the US Open
> and Wimbledon. Name her.
Renee Richards

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors
>
> You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname
> in either order. Each name you give must be correct.
>
> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?
Ang Lee

> B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?
>
> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?
>

> * C. Kings of Sport
>
> C1. Name the current Seattle Mariners pitcher whose nickname
> is King.
>
> C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
> the King.
>
> C3. Which golfer was known as the King?
>

> * D. History of Mesopotamia
>
> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?
ziggurat

> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
> name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?
Hammurabi

> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?
cuneiform

> * E. Soups and Stews
>
> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?
tomato

> E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
> its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners:
> a browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as filé
> ["FEE-lay"], and... which plant of the mallow family?
okra

> E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
> spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include
> lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
> fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.
tom ka

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English
>
> These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact
> they mean something quite different.
>
> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?
>
> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?
bothering

> F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
> "bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?

Bruce

Apr 24, 2017, 11:06:02 AM4/24/17
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 21:18:02 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Challenge: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/chal.jpg
>

> * A. Famous Transsexuals
>
> A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks. *She* is
> now serving 35 years. Name her.

Chelsea Manning

> A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
> in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel writer
> of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax Britannica"
> trilogy. Name her.
>
> A3. After becoming a woman in 1976, she sued the US Tennis
> Association for barring her from playing in the US Open and
> Wimbledon. Name her.

Renee Richards

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors
>
> You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname in
> either order. Each name you give must be correct.
>
> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?
>
> B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?
>
> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?
>

> * C. Kings of Sport
>
> C1. Name the current Seattle Mariners pitcher whose nickname
> is King.
>
> C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
> the King.
>
> C3. Which golfer was known as the King?
>

> * D. History of Mesopotamia
>
> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians. What
> other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these step
> pyramids known by?
>
> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose name
> means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?

Hammurabi

> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for the
> next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by derives
> from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?

cuneiform

> * E. Soups and Stews
>
> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream with
> what ingredient?

Tomato

> E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
> its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners: a
> browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as filé ["FEE-lay"],
> and... which plant of the mallow family?

Okra

> E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
> spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include lemongrass,
> kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
> fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.
>

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English
>
> These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact they mean
> something quite different.
>
> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?
>
> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does the
> Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?
>
> F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
> "bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?

Firefighter

Mark Brader

Apr 24, 2017, 9:43:19 PM4/24/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Well, the Final game of the Mods' season is over, and the winner by
a wide margin is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty congratulations, sir!

We will now proceed directly into the following season, set by
5 Easy Pieces, whose current-events rounds you have already seen.

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> Challenge: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/chal.jpg

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> * A. Famous Transsexuals

> A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
> *She* is now serving 35 years. Name her.

Chelsea Manning. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, and Bruce.

As Dan Tilque noted, after this question was written President Obama
declared that the 35-year sentence was "very disproportionate" and
commuted it to 7 years, of which a few weeks remain.

> A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
> in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel
> writer of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax
> Britannica" trilogy. Name her.

Jan Morris. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> A3. After becoming a woman in 1976, she sued the US Tennis
> Association for barring her from playing in the US Open
> and Wimbledon. Name her.

Renée Richards. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Jason, Dan Tilque, Marc,
and Bruce.

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors

> You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname
> in either order. Each name you give must be correct.

Answers are shown with the surname last.

> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?

Ang Lee. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Erland, Jason, Calvin,
and Marc.

> B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?

Kar-Wai Wong. 4 for Joshua.

> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?

Yimou Zhang. 4 for Joshua.

> * C. Kings of Sport

> C1. Name the current Seattle Mariners pitcher whose nickname
> is King.

Felix Hernandez. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
> the King.

Henrik Lundqvist. 4 for Erland.

> C3. Which golfer was known as the King?

Arnold Palmer. 4 for Peter and Calvin.

> * D. History of Mesopotamia

> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?

Ziggurat. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Jason, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
and Marc.

> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
> name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?

Hammurabi. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Jason, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
Marc, and Bruce.

> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?

Cuneiform. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, Marc, and Bruce.

> * E. Soups and Stews

> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?

Tomato. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Bruce.

> E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
> its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners:
> a browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as filé
> ["FEE-lay"], and... which plant of the mallow family?

Okra. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Bruce.

> E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
> spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include
> lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
> fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.

Tom yum or tom kha (see below). 4 for Dan Blum and Marc.

Tom yum was the expected answer, but I see that tom kha is a similar
soup that meets most or all of the description, so it made sense to
accept it. Apparently the main difference is that it uses coconut
milk whereas tom yum has a clear base.

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English

> These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact
> they mean something quite different.

> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?

Pregnant. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Jason.

> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?

Bother or disturb. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Dan Tilque,
and Marc.

> F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
> "bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?

Fights fires. (Think "pumper".) 4 for Joshua, Erland, Jason,
and Bruce.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Lit Sci Geo Spo Ent Can Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 39 34 20 32 12 44 0 52 221
Bruce Bowler -- 32 60 28 -- 16 -- 28 164
Peter Smyth 32 -- 36 28 32 -- -- 28 156
Dan Tilque 28 16 48 16 8 4 12 36 156
Dan Blum 39 23 -- -- -- 28 8 44 142
Pete Gayde 6 28 -- 40 32 32 4 -- 142
Marc Dashevsky 20 20 -- 16 12 36 4 36 140
Erland Sommarskog 20 8 11 40 27 -- -- 24 130
Jason Kreitzer 12 12 4 -- -- 44 -- 28 100
"Calvin" 42 27 -- -- -- -- -- 24 93
Don Piven 28 -- 56 -- -- -- -- -- 84
Gareth Owen -- -- -- -- 40 -- 4 -- 44

--
Mark Brader | "One of the lessons of history is that nothing
Toronto | is often a good thing to do and always a clever

Pete Gayde

Apr 24, 2017, 11:34:06 PM4/24/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:BMudndXVXN3HIGfFnZ2dnUU7-
WHN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Challenge: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/chal.jpg
>

> * A. Famous Transsexuals
>
> A1. *He* was convicted for violating the US Espionage Act in
> 2013 after disclosing sensitive material to WikiLeaks.
> *She* is now serving 35 years. Name her.

Manning

> A2. She wrote about her transformation in her memoir "Conundrum"
> in 1974, but she's mostly known as an award-winning travel
> writer of such titles as "Venice" (1960) and the "Pax
> Britannica" trilogy. Name her.
>
> A3. After becoming a woman in 1976, she sued the US Tennis
> Association for barring her from playing in the US Open
> and Wimbledon. Name her.

Richards

> * B. Chinese Movie Directors
>
> You may answer with the surname alone, or given name and surname
> in either order. Each name you give must be correct.
>
> B1. Who directed "Lust, Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
> Dragon"?
>
> B2. Who directed "The Grandmaster" and "Chungking Express"?
>
> B3. Who directed "Raise the Red Lantern" and "House of Flying
> Daggers"?
>

> * C. Kings of Sport
>
> C1. Name the current Seattle Mariners pitcher whose nickname
> is King.

Felix Hernandez

> C2. Name the current New York Rangers goalie who is known as
> the King.
>
> C3. Which golfer was known as the King?

Arnold Palmer

> * D. History of Mesopotamia
>
> D1. Step pyramids were built for religious reasons by the ancient
> Sumerians, Babylonians, Elamites, Akkadians, and Assyrians.
> What other name, derived from ancient Akkadian, are these
> step pyramids known by?
>
> D2. "If a son strike his father, they shall cut off his fingers."
> This law is part of a code issued by a Babylonian king whose
> name means "the kinsman is a healer." What is that name?

Hammurabi

> D3. In the fourth millennium BC, the Sumerians invented a writing
> system used by all the great Mesopotamian civilizations for
> the next 3,000 years. The name that we know this system by
> derives from the Latin word for "wedge". What is that name?
>

> * E. Soups and Stews
>
> E1. New England clam chowder is typically made with a cream
> or milk base. Manhattan clam chowder replaces the cream
> with what ingredient?

Tomato sauce

> E2. The Louisiana stew known as gumbo is often defined by
> its thickening agent. There are three possible thickeners:
> a browned roux ["roo"], sassafras leaves known as filé
> ["FEE-lay"], and... which plant of the mallow family?

Taro

> E3. This common soup of Thailand is characterized by distinct
> spicy and sour flavors. Ingredients usually include
> lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice,
> fish sauce, and crushed chili peppers. Name it.
>

> * F. False Friends -- Spanish and English
>
> These Spanish words look a lot like English words, but in fact
> they mean something quite different.
>
> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?
>
> F2. If a Spanish-speaker says that he hopes he is not "molesting"
> you, he probably isn't referring to sexual abuse. What does
> the Spanish verb "molestar" {"mole-est-AR"] mean?
>
> F3. In English, a "bomber" drops bombs. In Spanish, what does a
> "bombero" ["bom-BAIR-oh"] do?

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Mark Brader

Apr 25, 2017, 12:29:49 AM4/25/17
If his answers had been posted on time, Pete Gayde would have scored
24 points on the challenge round for a final score of 162, placing 3rd.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Dystypsia."
m...@vex.net | --Michael Wares gives the reason for a typo

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 25, 2017, 3:41:11 AM4/25/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> F1. We know what it means to be "embarrassed" in English.
>> What does it mean in Spanish to be "embarazada"
>> ["em-ba-ra-SA-da"]?
>
> Pregnant. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Jason.

A small note after having looked in the dictionary. "embarazada" does not
really qualify as a false friend, as it also can mean "embarrassed".
Although, the male participants in this group should still be careful
not to say "soy embarazada" to avoid embarrassing themselves further. They
need to say "soy embarazado" and stick with the masculine form.

Mark Brader

Apr 25, 2017, 4:13:15 AM4/25/17
Erland Sommarskog:
> A small note after having looked in the dictionary. "embarazada" does not
> really qualify as a false friend, as it also can mean "embarrassed".

I suspected as much, actually.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Strange commas are enshrined in
m...@vex.net | the US Constitution." --James Hogg