Rotating Quiz #205: Movies in 2015 that aren't "The Force Awakens"

Gareth Owen

Dec 13, 2015, 3:53:14 PM12/13/15
Here are the plot summaries of 20 English-language movies from 2015,
along with one or more of the stars. Give the title of each film.

1. A young photographer develops a relationship with an older woman
(Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara)
2. A young Irish woman moves to the USA (Saoirse Ronan)
3. Deckard Shaw seeks revenge on the people responsible for his
brother, Owen, being in a coma (Vin Diesel)
4. An art dealer tries to obtain a work by Goya (Johnny Depp)
5. A woman and her lawyer try and recover a Klimt painting, stolen
from her family by the Nazis (Ryan Reynolds)
6. A commitment-averse woman begins a relationship with a sports doctor
(Amy Schumer, LeBron James)
7. An aging singer-songwriter receives a letter from John Lennon, 40
years after it was sent (Al Pacino)
8. An ingenue becoms involved with a domineering businessman (Dakota
Johnson)
9. An earthling discovers she is transhuman-alien royalty (Mila Kunis)
10. A man is taken to The Hotel, where he must either become involved in
a relationship, or be transformed into an animal of his choice
(Colin Farrell)
11. Ethan Hunt assembles his team for one more go-round (Tom Cruise)
12. Earth is attacked by PacMan, Space Invaders and other retro video
game characters (Adam Sandler)
13. The story of the rap group N.W.A. (O'Shea Jackson Jr, Paul Giamatti)
14. A young EDM DJ comes of age in LA (Zac Efron)
15. A young woman running a fashion house employs an older man in a junior
position (Anne Hathaway)
16. A principled lawyer defends a Soviet agent and later negotiates a
prisoner exchange (Tom Hanks)
17. James Bond does James Bond stuff, Blofeld does Blofeld stuff.
(Daniel Craig)
18. A former boxer's son pursues his dream to become a professional
himself (Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone)
19. In 1823, hunter left for dead returns seeking vengeance on those
who deserted him (Leonardo di Caprio)
20. Journalists on the Boston Globe uncover corruption in the Catholic
Church (Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams)

Gareth Owen

Dec 13, 2015, 3:54:02 PM12/13/15

Closing date: Friday 18th December, noon GMT.

Dan Blum

Dec 13, 2015, 3:58:43 PM12/13/15
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. A young photographer develops a relationship with an older woman
> (Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara)

Carol

> 2. A young Irish woman moves to the USA (Saoirse Ronan)

Brooklyn

> 6. A commitment-averse woman begins a relationship with a sports doctor
> (Amy Schumer, LeBron James)

Trainwreck

> 8. An ingenue becoms involved with a domineering businessman (Dakota
> Johnson)

Fifty Shades of Grey

> 9. An earthling discovers she is transhuman-alien royalty (Mila Kunis)

Jupiter Ascending

> 11. Ethan Hunt assembles his team for one more go-round (Tom Cruise)

Mission Impossible V

> 13. The story of the rap group N.W.A. (O'Shea Jackson Jr, Paul Giamatti)

Straight Outta Compton

> 15. A young woman running a fashion house employs an older man in a junior
> position (Anne Hathaway)

The Intern

> 16. A principled lawyer defends a Soviet agent and later negotiates a
> prisoner exchange (Tom Hanks)

Bridge of Spies

> 17. James Bond does James Bond stuff, Blofeld does Blofeld stuff.
> (Daniel Craig)

Spectre

> 18. A former boxer's son pursues his dream to become a professional
> himself (Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone)

Creed

> 19. In 1823, hunter left for dead returns seeking vengeance on those
> who deserted him (Leonardo di Caprio)

The Revenant

> 20. Journalists on the Boston Globe uncover corruption in the Catholic
> Church (Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams)

Spotlight

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 13, 2015, 5:49:43 PM12/13/15
In article <87egeqo...@gmail.com>, gwo...@gmail.com says...

> Here are the plot summaries of 20 English-language movies from 2015,
> along with one or more of the stars. Give the title of each film.
>
> 1. A young photographer develops a relationship with an older woman
> (Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara)
> 2. A young Irish woman moves to the USA (Saoirse Ronan)
> 3. Deckard Shaw seeks revenge on the people responsible for his
> brother, Owen, being in a coma (Vin Diesel)
> 4. An art dealer tries to obtain a work by Goya (Johnny Depp)
> 5. A woman and her lawyer try and recover a Klimt painting, stolen
> from her family by the Nazis (Ryan Reynolds)
> 6. A commitment-averse woman begins a relationship with a sports doctor
> (Amy Schumer, LeBron James)
> 7. An aging singer-songwriter receives a letter from John Lennon, 40
> years after it was sent (Al Pacino)
> 8. An ingenue becoms involved with a domineering businessman (Dakota
> Johnson)
> 9. An earthling discovers she is transhuman-alien royalty (Mila Kunis)
> 10. A man is taken to The Hotel, where he must either become involved in
> a relationship, or be transformed into an animal of his choice
> (Colin Farrell)
> 11. Ethan Hunt assembles his team for one more go-round (Tom Cruise)
Mission Impossible 5

> 12. Earth is attacked by PacMan, Space Invaders and other retro video
> game characters (Adam Sandler)
> 13. The story of the rap group N.W.A. (O'Shea Jackson Jr, Paul Giamatti)
> 14. A young EDM DJ comes of age in LA (Zac Efron)
> 15. A young woman running a fashion house employs an older man in a junior
> position (Anne Hathaway)
> 16. A principled lawyer defends a Soviet agent and later negotiates a
> prisoner exchange (Tom Hanks)
> 17. James Bond does James Bond stuff, Blofeld does Blofeld stuff.
> (Daniel Craig)
> 18. A former boxer's son pursues his dream to become a professional
> himself (Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone)
> 19. In 1823, hunter left for dead returns seeking vengeance on those
> who deserted him (Leonardo di Caprio)
> 20. Journalists on the Boston Globe uncover corruption in the Catholic
> Church (Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams)
Spotlight

Mark Brader

Dec 13, 2015, 6:05:58 PM12/13/15
Gareth Owen:
> Here are the plot summaries of 20 English-language movies from 2015,
> along with one or more of the stars. Give the title of each film.

Oh gawd, we just had this in the Canadian Inquisition Final, except it
was movies that aren't "Spectre". At least there it was only for three
questions there. Let's see now...

> 1. A young photographer develops a relationship with an older woman
> (Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara)

"The Bridges of Lesbian County".

> 2. A young Irish woman moves to the USA (Saoirse Ronan)

"Brooklyn".

> 3. Deckard Shaw seeks revenge on the people responsible for his
> brother, Owen, being in a coma (Vin Diesel)

"Coma: The Sequel".

> 4. An art dealer tries to obtain a work by Goya (Johnny Depp)

"Francisco and Johnny".

> 5. A woman and her lawyer try and recover a Klimt painting, stolen
> from her family by the Nazis (Ryan Reynolds)

"A Kiss Before Suing".

> 6. A commitment-averse woman begins a relationship with a sports doctor
> (Amy Schumer, LeBron James)

"Friday Night Loves".

> 7. An aging singer-songwriter receives a letter from John Lennon, 40
> years after it was sent (Al Pacino)

"Dear John II".

> 8. An ingenue becoms involved with a domineering businessman (Dakota
> Johnson)

"Non-Working Girl".

> 9. An earthling discovers she is transhuman-alien royalty (Mila Kunis)

"The Alien Diaries".

> 10. A man is taken to The Hotel, where he must either become involved in
> a relationship, or be transformed into an animal of his choice
> (Colin Farrell)

"Weird Movie or (the Unexpected Virtue of Staying Home)".

> 11. Ethan Hunt assembles his team for one more go-round (Tom Cruise)

"Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation".

> 12. Earth is attacked by PacMan, Space Invaders and other retro video
> game characters (Adam Sandler)

"The Lego Movie".

> 13. The story of the rap group N.W.A. (O'Shea Jackson Jr, Paul Giamatti)

"The World of Northwest Orient".

> 14. A young EDM DJ comes of age in LA (Zac Efron)

"Wayne Gretzky's World".

> 15. A young woman running a fashion house employs an older man in a junior
> position (Anne Hathaway)

"What Women Want at Work."

> 16. A principled lawyer defends a Soviet agent and later negotiates a
> prisoner exchange (Tom Hanks)

"Bridge of Spies".

> 17. James Bond does James Bond stuff, Blofeld does Blofeld stuff.
> (Daniel Craig)

"Spectre".

> 18. A former boxer's son pursues his dream to become a professional
> himself (Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone)

"Creed".

> 19. In 1823, hunter left for dead returns seeking vengeance on those
> who deserted him (Leonardo di Caprio)

"27,000 Hours".

> 20. Journalists on the Boston Globe uncover corruption in the Catholic
> Church (Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams)

"Spotlight".

Hmph, you couldn't've used "Ex Machina"?
--
Mark Brader | "Now I feel stupid. Well, I guess it's not bad
Toronto | if that happens once a decade or so."

swp

Dec 13, 2015, 8:34:52 PM12/13/15
On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 3:53:14 PM UTC-5, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Here are the plot summaries of 20 English-language movies from 2015,
> along with one or more of the stars. Give the title of each film.
>
> 1. A young photographer develops a relationship with an older woman
> (Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara)

carol

> 2. A young Irish woman moves to the USA (Saoirse Ronan)

brooklyn

> 3. Deckard Shaw seeks revenge on the people responsible for his
> brother, Owen, being in a coma (Vin Diesel)

furious 7

> 4. An art dealer tries to obtain a work by Goya (Johnny Depp)

transcendence

> 5. A woman and her lawyer try and recover a Klimt painting, stolen
> from her family by the Nazis (Ryan Reynolds)

kiss me klimt

> 6. A commitment-averse woman begins a relationship with a sports doctor
> (Amy Schumer, LeBron James)

shazam!

> 7. An aging singer-songwriter receives a letter from John Lennon, 40
> years after it was sent (Al Pacino)

are you sure these are real movies?

> 8. An ingenue becoms involved with a domineering businessman (Dakota
> Johnson)

50 shades of grey

> 9. An earthling discovers she is transhuman-alien royalty (Mila Kunis)

saturnine

> 10. A man is taken to The Hotel, where he must either become involved in
> a relationship, or be transformed into an animal of his choice
> (Colin Farrell)

tyger tyger burning bright

> 11. Ethan Hunt assembles his team for one more go-round (Tom Cruise)

mission impossible: rogue nation

> 12. Earth is attacked by PacMan, Space Invaders and other retro video
> game characters (Adam Sandler)

adam sandler's nightmare before christmas

> 13. The story of the rap group N.W.A. (O'Shea Jackson Jr, Paul Giamatti)

straight outta compton

> 14. A young EDM DJ comes of age in LA (Zac Efron)

revenge of the electric disco machine

> 15. A young woman running a fashion house employs an older man in a junior
> position (Anne Hathaway)

star wars ; air force one ; raiders of the lost ark (one of those harrison ford movies)

> 16. A principled lawyer defends a Soviet agent and later negotiates a
> prisoner exchange (Tom Hanks)

the bridge over the river kwai

> 17. James Bond does James Bond stuff, Blofeld does Blofeld stuff.
> (Daniel Craig)

spectre

> 18. A former boxer's son pursues his dream to become a professional
> himself (Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone)

creed (not the band)

> 19. In 1823, hunter left for dead returns seeking vengeance on those
> who deserted him (Leonardo di Caprio)

the revenant

> 20. Journalists on the Boston Globe uncover corruption in the Catholic
> Church (Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams)

the avengers: age of ultron

swp

Gareth Owen

Dec 29, 2015, 6:49:16 AM12/29/15
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> writes:

Sorry about the delay. The holiday season got the better of me.

> Here are the plot summaries of 20 English-language movies from 2015,
> along with one or more of the stars. Give the title of each film.
>
> 1. A young photographer develops a relationship with an older woman
> (Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara)

Carol

> 2. A young Irish woman moves to the USA (Saoirse Ronan)

Brooklyn

> 3. Deckard Shaw seeks revenge on the people responsible for his
> brother, Owen, being in a coma (Vin Diesel)

(Fast and) Furious Seven

> 4. An art dealer tries to obtain a work by Goya (Johnny Depp)

Mortdecai [a monumental bomb]

> 5. A woman and her lawyer try and recover a Klimt painting, stolen
> from her family by the Nazis (Ryan Reynolds)

The Woman In Gold

> 6. A commitment-averse woman begins a relationship with a sports doctor
> (Amy Schumer, LeBron James)

Trainwreck

> 7. An aging singer-songwriter receives a letter from John Lennon, 40
> years after it was sent (Al Pacino)

Danny Collins [inspired by true story of folksinger Steve Tilston]

> 8. An ingenue becoms involved with a domineering businessman (Dakota
> Johnson)

50 Shades Of Gray

> 9. An earthling discovers she is transhuman-alien royalty (Mila
> Kunis)

Jupiter Ascending

> 10. A man is taken to The Hotel, where he must either become involved in
> a relationship, or be transformed into an animal of his choice
> (Colin Farrell)

The Lobster

> 11. Ethan Hunt assembles his team for one more go-round (Tom Cruise)

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation [I accepted MI:5]

> 12. Earth is attacked by PacMan, Space Invaders and other retro video
> game characters (Adam Sandler)

Pixles

> 13. The story of the rap group N.W.A. (O'Shea Jackson Jr, Paul
> Giamatti)

Straight Outta Compton

> 14. A young EDM DJ comes of age in LA (Zac Efron)

We Are Your Friends

> 15. A young woman running a fashion house employs an older man in a junior
> position (Anne Hathaway)

The Intern

> 16. A principled lawyer defends a Soviet agent and later negotiates a
> prisoner exchange (Tom Hanks)

Bridge of Spies

> 17. James Bond does James Bond stuff, Blofeld does Blofeld stuff.
> (Daniel Craig)

Spectre

> 18. A former boxer's son pursues his dream to become a professional
> himself (Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone)

Creed [Stallone reprises his role as Rocky, Jordan plays Apollo Creed's son]

> 19. In 1823, hunter left for dead returns seeking vengeance on those
> who deserted him (Leonardo di Caprio)

The Revenant

> 20. Journalists on the Boston Globe uncover corruption in the Catholic
> Church (Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams)

Spotlight

Scores:
Dan Blum: 13
Marc Dashevsky: 2
Mark Brader: 6 - with several excellent gag answers
swp: 9

Dan Blum is the winner, congratulation Dan

Dan Blum

Dec 31, 2015, 12:32:28 AM12/31/15
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Scores:
> Dan Blum: 13
> Marc Dashevsky: 2
> Mark Brader: 6 - with several excellent gag answers
> swp: 9

> Dan Blum is the winner, congratulation Dan

Thanks. The next RQ probably won't go up until Monday or so.

Mark Brader

Dec 31, 2015, 4:51:40 AM12/31/15
Gareth Owen:
> Mark Brader: 6 - with several excellent gag answers

Nice of you to say so: I was rather pleased with several of them myself.

I want to explain one of them, because I think most people probably won't
understand.

>> 13. The story of the rap group N.W.A. (O'Shea Jackson Jr, Paul Giamatti)

I said "The World of Northwest Orient".

Northwest Orient used to be a major airline in the US, until it merged
with Republic in 1986. It then dropped the word Orient (which according
to Wikipedia had never actually been officially part of its name) and
became simply Northwest Airlines. Subsequently it decided to go by its
initials and started calling itself -- NWA.

That's half of the joke. The other half is one of the lesser-known movies
in the career of Peter Sellers. In this 1964 movie, two teenage girls
have a fascination with a certain concert pianist, played by Sellers.
So they start following him around, leading to disruptions in his life.
The character's name is Henry Orient[1], and the movie is titled from the
girls' point of view -- "The World of Henry Orient".

Voila!

[1] According to Wikipedia, this is itself a subtle joke: the character
was based on Oscar Levant, and both surnames ultimately refer to the east.
--
Mark Brader | "Don't you want to... see my ID? ... I could be anybody."
Toronto | "No you couldn't, sir. This is Information Retrieval."

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 31, 2015, 10:46:56 AM12/31/15
In article <0OydnUWqGZA2ZxnL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> That's half of the joke. The other half is one of the lesser-known movies
> in the career of Peter Sellers. In this 1964 movie, two teenage girls
> have a fascination with a certain concert pianist, played by Sellers.
> So they start following him around, leading to disruptions in his life.

I probably saw it last as some late night TV movie in the '70s.
I just remember the outlandish Asian caricatures.