Calvin's Quiz #398

Calvin

Jun 20, 2015, 7:28:26 PM6/20/15

1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?
2 How many blank tiles are in a Scrabble set?
3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical drama based on the novels of Robert Graves?
4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally translates as Old Land of My Fathers?
5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA soccer World Cup?
6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?
7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?
8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which field of the arts?
9 English and which other language are the two official languages of Pakistan?
10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?

cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Jun 20, 2015, 8:01:50 PM6/20/15
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?
Chromium
2
> 3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical
> drama based on the novels of Robert Graves?
I Claudius
> 4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally
> translates as Old Land of My Fathers?
wales
> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA
> soccer World Cup?
Italy
> 6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?
Black Panther
> 7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?
Collarbone
> 8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which
> field of the arts?
Sculpture
> 9 English and which other language are the two official languages of
> Pakistan?
Urdu
> 10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?
Wes Craven

Peter Smyth

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jun 20, 2015, 9:08:04 PM6/20/15
On 2015-06-20, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?

Chromiu,

> 2 How many blank tiles are in a Scrabble set?

2

> 3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical drama based on the novels of Robert Graves?

I, Claudius

> 4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally translates as Old Land of My Fathers?
> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA soccer World Cup?
> 6 Which?West German?far-left?guerrilla group was founded in 1970?

Bader Meinhof

> 7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?

Shoulder blade

> 8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which field of the arts?

Painting

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Dan Tilque

Jun 21, 2015, 4:09:50 AM6/21/15
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?

chromium

> 2 How many blank tiles are in a Scrabble set?

2

> 3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical drama based on the novels of Robert Graves?
> 4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally translates as Old Land of My Fathers?
> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA soccer World Cup?

Germany

> 6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?
> 7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?

collarbone

> 8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which field of the arts?
> 9 English and which other language are the two official languages of Pakistan?

Urdu

> 10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 21, 2015, 5:31:37 AM6/21/15
In article <c2b6a25b-a14a-4226...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?
chromium

> 2 How many blank tiles are in a Scrabble set?
2

> 3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical drama based on the novels of Robert Graves?
I Claudius

> 4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally translates as Old Land of My Fathers?
Germany

> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA soccer World Cup?
> 6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?
Baader-Meinhof

> 7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?
shoulder blade

> 8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which field of the arts?
oil painting

> 9 English and which other language are the two official languages of Pakistan?
Urdu

> 10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 21, 2015, 7:35:26 AM6/21/15
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?

Carbon

> 2 How many blank tiles are in a Scrabble set?

Four

> 4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally
> translates as Old Land of My Fathers?

Germany

> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA
> soccer World Cup?

Italy

> 6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?

RAF

> 8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which
> field of the arts?

Sculpture

> 9 English and which other language are the two official languages of
> Pakistan?

Urdu

> 10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?

George Lucas

Björn Lundin

Jun 21, 2015, 8:26:11 AM6/21/15
On 2015-06-21 01:28, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?
Nickel
> 2 How many blank tiles are in a Scrabble set?
2
> 3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical drama based on the novels of Robert Graves?
I, Claudius
> 4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally translates as Old Land of My Fathers?
Germany
> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA soccer World Cup?
Barcelona ?
> 6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?
Rote Armee Fraktion
> 7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?
> 8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which field of the arts?
Inventing Sewing machines ?
> 9 English and which other language are the two official languages of Pakistan?
Urdu?
> 10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 21, 2015, 2:44:00 PM6/21/15
Björn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA
>> soccer World Cup?
> Barcelona ?

And there were those days when Barcelona was county of relative
independence, before they teamed up with the Crown of Aragon. However, that
was long before 1934. Long before.

Björn Lundin

Jun 21, 2015, 5:11:43 PM6/21/15
On 2015-06-21 20:44, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Björn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
>>> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA
>>> soccer World Cup?
>> Barcelona ?
>
> And there were those days when Barcelona was county of relative
> independence, before they teamed up with the Crown of Aragon. However, that
> was long before 1934. Long before.

Yes I realized that Spain is a more correct answer, since a country is
the answer, when looking at the other answers.
Sometimes - way to often actually - I read too fast for my own good.
--
Björn

David B

Jun 22, 2015, 7:06:09 AM6/22/15
1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?

Chromium.

2 How many blank tiles are in a Scrabble set?

Two.

3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical drama
based on the novels of Robert Graves?

I, Claudius.

4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally translates
as Old Land of My Fathers?

Scotland?

5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA soccer
World Cup?

Italy?

6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?
7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?

Collar Bone.

8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which field of
the arts?

Singing :o)

9 English and which other language are the two official languages of
Pakistan?

Urdu.

10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?

--
David B
http://waterfalls.me.uk

Mark Brader

Jun 22, 2015, 11:55:10 PM6/22/15
"Calvin":
> 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?

Nickel.

> 2 How many blank tiles are in a Scrabble set?

2.

> 3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical drama based on the novels of Robert Graves?

"I, Claudius"

> 4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally translates as Old Land of My Fathers?

Spain?

> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA soccer World Cup?

Italy?

> 6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?

Baader-Meinhof gang?

> 7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?

Shoulder blade.

> 8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which field of the arts?

Poetry.

> 9 English and which other language are the two official languages of Pakistan?

Urdu.

> 10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?

Craven?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "In cyberspace, the lunatics not only run the asylum,
m...@vex.net | but they helped build it..." --Richard Kadrey

Pete

Jun 23, 2015, 1:04:44 AM6/23/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?

Manganese

4

> 3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical
> drama based on the novels of Robert Graves?

Claudius

> 4 The title of which
> European country's national anthem literally translates as Old Land of
> My Fathers?
> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to
> win the FIFA soccer World Cup?

Italy

> 6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?

Bader-Meinhof gang

> 7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?

Shoulder blade

> 8 John Singer Sargent was
> best known for his achievements in which field of the arts?

Painting

> 9 English and which other language are the two official languages of
> Pakistan?

Urdu

> 10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Calvin

Jun 29, 2015, 5:03:03 AM6/29/15
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:28:26 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?

Chromium

> 2 How many blank tiles are in a Scrabble set?

2

> 3 Derek Jacobi played the title role in which 1976 BBC historical drama based on the novels of Robert Graves?

I, Claudius

> 4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally translates as Old Land of My Fathers?

Wales

> 5 In 1934 which nation was the first European team to win the FIFA soccer World Cup?

Italy

> 6 Which West German far-left guerrilla group was founded in 1970?

Baader-Meinhoff / Red Army Faction

> 7 What is the more common name for the scapula bone?

Shoulder Blade

> 8 John Singer Sargent was best known for his achievements in which field of the arts?

Painting
Giggle points for singing :-)

> 9 English and which other language are the two official languages of Pakistan?

Urdu

> 10 Who directed the first four Scream movies?

Wes Craven

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 398
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 8 43 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 8 44 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 7 38 Peter Smyth
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 41 Mark Brader
0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 6 34 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 5 33 David Brown
0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 4 29 Bjorn Lundin
0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 3 20 Erland S
1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 21 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 7 7 2 5 6 4 3 9 3 51 57%

Congratulations Marc on the narrowest of victories.

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 29, 2015, 11:17:55 AM6/29/15
I did not answer #4 correctly. Chris is the winner.

In article <a7dac096-76e5-4ec4...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

Mark Brader

Jun 29, 2015, 5:14:00 PM6/29/15
"Calvin":
> > 1 Which element is added to steel to make it stainless?
>
> Chromium

Dammit, he's right. Nickel is only an element commonly added in *addition*
to chromium. Hmph.

> > 4 The title of which European country's national anthem literally
> > translates as Old Land of My Fathers?
>
> Wales

"Country", grrr.

Thanks for the quiz.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Damn! Damn! Damn! Er, I mean thanks, Mark."
m...@vex.net | --Steve Ball

Calvin

Jun 30, 2015, 4:42:03 PM6/30/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 1:17:55 AM UTC+10, Marc Dashevsky wrote:
> I did not answer #4 correctly. Chris is the winner.

Noted thanks Marc. Here are the revised results:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 398
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 8 44 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 7 37 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 7 41 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 41 Mark Brader