QFTCIBP Game 10, Rounds 4-6: Norse myths, PM Jukebox, food sci

Mark Brader

Jun 13, 2018, 4:16:05 AM6/13/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Norse Mythology

1. The god Loki is a shape-shifter. Name one of the creatures
that Loki has assumed the shape of.

2. Name Loki's giant wolf son who was tied up by the gods, but
was destined to grow too big for his bonds and eat Odin.

3. What goddess was associated with love, sex, beauty, fertility,
gold, sorcery, war, and death? She was accompanied by the boar
Hildisvíni, who she sometimes rode. She also rode in a chariot,
pulled by two cats.

4. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. Juvpu tbqqrff vf qrfpevorq nf
gur jvsr bs gur tbq Bqva naq zbgure bs gur tbq Onyqe? Qhr gb
fvtavsvpnag gurzngvp bireync, fpubynef unir cebcbfrq n pbaarpgvba
gb Serln. Sevqnl vf anzrq nsgre ure.

5. Name the god who possesses the horn Gjallarhorn. Before
Ragnarök, he will blow this horn to call all of the gods
to battle.

6. Odin had two pet ravens named Huginn and Muninn. What do either
of those names mean in English?

7. Odin's horse Sleipnir was known as the best of all horses.
How many legs did Sleipnir have?

8. In order to gain knowledge, Odin hung himself from a tree for
9 nights. Name that tree.

9. What is the collective term for the lesser goddesses in Norse
Mythology that serve Odin? Their task is to choose those who
have died in the most heroic way in battle and carry them off
to Valhalla.

10. Only half of the warriors who die in combat go to Valhalla.
Where do the other half go?

* Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - Postmodern Jukebox

Yes, it's an audio round without the audio.

In its original form, this round featured clips from the group
Postmodern Jukebox, and the preamble began, "This is another
jazz round. Well, not really."

In this format, I'll just give you the title of the song that you
would have had to recognize from the audio clip, and you name the
original artist or band as applicable.

1. "Closer".
2. "Bad Romance".
3. "Sweet Child o' Mine".
4. "Seven Nation Army".
5. "Black Hole Sun".
6. "Creep".
7. "Gangsta's Paradise".
8. "Thong Song".
9. "All About the Bass".
10. "Who Can it be Now?".

* Game 10, Round 6 - Science - Science of Food

1. Baking powder is is a combination of several ingredients.
Primarily an acid such as cream of tartar or monocalcium
phosphate combined with an alkali that produces bubbles when
the mixture is exposed to water. What is the most common alkali
component of baking powder?

2. When you chew wintergreen Lifesavers, they emit light.
The sparking is an effect of sugar crystals being fractured.
The structural change to the sugar crystals results in the
release of energy that is absorbed by flavor compounds which
emit visible light as they return to ground state. What is
the name of this effect?

3. When cream is whipped, the fat is stretched to form a foamy
structure that holds tiny pockets of air. But these fat pockets
melt when heated. When eggs are whipped, a different substance
is stretched to form the air pockets -- one that is stable when
heated. This is why we can have meringues and angel food cake.
What is this substance?

4. When proteins are cooked they uncurl and can relink into
larger molecules. But proteins can also be forced to uncurl
by exposing them to an acid, such as in preparing ceviche.
What is this process called?

5. Proteins are made of smaller "building blocks". In humans,
8 of these are essential in one's diet; the others we can build
from those. What are these "building blocks" collectively
called?

6. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the above ones. Orsber onxvat fbqn jnf pbzzba,
guvf bgure purzvpny jnf hfrq nf n yrniravat ntrag. Vg vf
fgvyy hfrq va fbzr genqvgvbany erpvcrf, rfcrpvnyyl Trezna naq
Fpnaqvanivna barf. Vg vf fbzrgvzrf pnyyrq Unegfubea orpnhfr
gur bevtvany fbhepr jnf sebz qrre nagyref. Naq nygubhtu vg
vf eryngrq gb n pyrnavat ntrag, guvf pbzcbhaq vf aba-gbkvp.
Jung vf guvf genqvgvbany yrniravat ntrag?

7. Food turns brown for many reasons. Caramelization of sugars
when they're heated is one. But it is a different process when
fresh food turns brown on its own, such as cut apples browning,
or bananas getting too ripe. This type of browning is because
of oxidation and is named for one of the types of chemicals
involved. What is it called?

8. A third major source of browning is the chemical reaction
between <answer 5> and reducing sugars that gives browned
food its distinctive flavor. Seared steaks, pan-fried
dumplings, cookies and other kinds of biscuits, breads, toasted
marshmallows, as well as many other foods, undergo this reaction.
What is it called?

9. Oil and water don't mix, as anyone who has tried to make salad
dressing can understand. But there are compounds that allow
them to mix without separating. One is found in egg yolks,
making possible such foods as hollandaise sauce and mayonnaise.
What are these compounds called?

10. Most pickles these days are made by adding vinegar (acetic
acid) to vegetables to preserve them. Traditionally, though,
pickles were fermented, which produced a different acid that
acted as the preservative. Which acid?

After completing the round, please decode this final bit of rot13:
Vs lbh tnir nal bs gur sbyybjvat nf lbhe jubyr nafjre, cyrnfr tb
onpx naq tvir gur erfg bs gur anzr: nzzbavn be nzzbavhz, pneobangr
be ovpneobangr, fbqn be fbqvhz.

--
Mark Brader | "Fortunately, [this newsgroup] contains one of the world's
Toronto | largest herds of free-roaming pedants, thundering majestically

Dan Blum

Jun 13, 2018, 9:53:48 AM6/13/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Norse Mythology

> 1. The god Loki is a shape-shifter. Name one of the creatures
> that Loki has assumed the shape of.

a giantess
(assuming that counts as a "creature")

> 2. Name Loki's giant wolf son who was tied up by the gods, but
> was destined to grow too big for his bonds and eat Odin.

Fenris

> 3. What goddess was associated with love, sex, beauty, fertility,
> gold, sorcery, war, and death? She was accompanied by the boar
> Hildisv?ni, who she sometimes rode. She also rode in a chariot,
> pulled by two cats.

Freya

> 4. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Juvpu tbqqrff vf qrfpevorq nf
> gur jvsr bs gur tbq Bqva naq zbgure bs gur tbq Onyqe? Qhr gb
> fvtavsvpnag gurzngvp bireync, fpubynef unir cebcbfrq n pbaarpgvba
> gb Serln. Sevqnl vf anzrq nsgre ure.

Frigg

> 5. Name the god who possesses the horn Gjallarhorn. Before
> Ragnar?k, he will blow this horn to call all of the gods
> to battle.

Heimdall

> 6. Odin had two pet ravens named Huginn and Muninn. What do either
> of those names mean in English?

Memory

> 7. Odin's horse Sleipnir was known as the best of all horses.
> How many legs did Sleipnir have?

8

> 8. In order to gain knowledge, Odin hung himself from a tree for
> 9 nights. Name that tree.

Yggdrasil

> 9. What is the collective term for the lesser goddesses in Norse
> Mythology that serve Odin? Their task is to choose those who
> have died in the most heroic way in battle and carry them off
> to Valhalla.

valkyries

> 10. Only half of the warriors who die in combat go to Valhalla.
> Where do the other half go?

Helheim

> * Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - Postmodern Jukebox

> 2. "Bad Romance".

Lady Gaga

> 4. "Seven Nation Army".

White Stripes

> 7. "Gangsta's Paradise".

Ice-T

> 9. "All About the Bass".

Meghan Trainor

> 10. "Who Can it be Now?".

Men at Work

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - Science of Food

> 1. Baking powder is is a combination of several ingredients.
> Primarily an acid such as cream of tartar or monocalcium
> phosphate combined with an alkali that produces bubbles when
> the mixture is exposed to water. What is the most common alkali
> component of baking powder?

carbon dioxide

> 2. When you chew wintergreen Lifesavers, they emit light.
> The sparking is an effect of sugar crystals being fractured.
> The structural change to the sugar crystals results in the
> release of energy that is absorbed by flavor compounds which
> emit visible light as they return to ground state. What is
> the name of this effect?

triboluminescence

> 3. When cream is whipped, the fat is stretched to form a foamy
> structure that holds tiny pockets of air. But these fat pockets
> melt when heated. When eggs are whipped, a different substance
> is stretched to form the air pockets -- one that is stable when
> heated. This is why we can have meringues and angel food cake.
> What is this substance?

albumen

> 4. When proteins are cooked they uncurl and can relink into
> larger molecules. But proteins can also be forced to uncurl
> by exposing them to an acid, such as in preparing ceviche.
> What is this process called?

denaturing

> 5. Proteins are made of smaller "building blocks". In humans,
> 8 of these are essential in one's diet; the others we can build
> from those. What are these "building blocks" collectively
> called?

amino acids

> 6. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the above ones. Orsber onxvat fbqn jnf pbzzba,
> guvf bgure purzvpny jnf hfrq nf n yrniravat ntrag. Vg vf
> fgvyy hfrq va fbzr genqvgvbany erpvcrf, rfcrpvnyyl Trezna naq
> Fpnaqvanivna barf. Vg vf fbzrgvzrf pnyyrq Unegfubea orpnhfr
> gur bevtvany fbhepr jnf sebz qrre nagyref. Naq nygubhtu vg
> vf eryngrq gb n pyrnavat ntrag, guvf pbzcbhaq vf aba-gbkvp.
> Jung vf guvf genqvgvbany yrniravat ntrag?

calcium carbonate

> 8. A third major source of browning is the chemical reaction
> between <answer 5> and reducing sugars that gives browned
> food its distinctive flavor. Seared steaks, pan-fried
> dumplings, cookies and other kinds of biscuits, breads, toasted
> marshmallows, as well as many other foods, undergo this reaction.
> What is it called?

Maillard reaction

> 9. Oil and water don't mix, as anyone who has tried to make salad
> dressing can understand. But there are compounds that allow
> them to mix without separating. One is found in egg yolks,
> making possible such foods as hollandaise sauce and mayonnaise.
> What are these compounds called?

emulsifiers

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Jun 13, 2018, 12:21:40 PM6/13/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-26,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Norse Mythology
>
> 1. The god Loki is a shape-shifter. Name one of the creatures
> that Loki has assumed the shape of.
>
> 2. Name Loki's giant wolf son who was tied up by the gods, but
> was destined to grow too big for his bonds and eat Odin.
>
> 3. What goddess was associated with love, sex, beauty, fertility,
> gold, sorcery, war, and death? She was accompanied by the boar
> Hildisvíni, who she sometimes rode. She also rode in a chariot,
> pulled by two cats.
>
> 4. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Which goddess is described as
> the wife of the god Odin and mother of the god Baldr? Due to
> significant thematic overlap, scholars have proposed a connection
> to Freya. Friday is named after her.
Lady Gaga
> 3. "Sweet Child o' Mine".
Guns n Roses
> 4. "Seven Nation Army".
White Stripes
> 5. "Black Hole Sun".
> 6. "Creep".
Radiohead
> 7. "Gangsta's Paradise".
Coolio
> 8. "Thong Song".
Sisqo
> 9. "All About the Bass".
> 10. "Who Can it be Now?".
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - Science of Food
>
> 1. Baking powder is is a combination of several ingredients.
> Primarily an acid such as cream of tartar or monocalcium
> phosphate combined with an alkali that produces bubbles when
> the mixture is exposed to water. What is the most common alkali
> component of baking powder?
Sodium bicarbonate
> 2. When you chew wintergreen Lifesavers, they emit light.
> The sparking is an effect of sugar crystals being fractured.
> The structural change to the sugar crystals results in the
> release of energy that is absorbed by flavor compounds which
> emit visible light as they return to ground state. What is
> the name of this effect?
>
> 3. When cream is whipped, the fat is stretched to form a foamy
> structure that holds tiny pockets of air. But these fat pockets
> melt when heated. When eggs are whipped, a different substance
> is stretched to form the air pockets -- one that is stable when
> heated. This is why we can have meringues and angel food cake.
> What is this substance?
Albumen
> 4. When proteins are cooked they uncurl and can relink into
> larger molecules. But proteins can also be forced to uncurl
> by exposing them to an acid, such as in preparing ceviche.
> What is this process called?
Denatured
> 5. Proteins are made of smaller "building blocks". In humans,
> 8 of these are essential in one's diet; the others we can build
> from those. What are these "building blocks" collectively
> called?
Amino Acids
> 6. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the above ones. Before baking soda was common,
> this other chemical was used as a leavening agent. It is
> still used in some traditional recipes, especially German and
> Scandinavian ones. It is sometimes called Hartshorn because
> the original source was from deer antlers. And although it
> is related to a cleaning agent, this compound is non-toxic.
> What is this traditional leavening agent?
>
> 7. Food turns brown for many reasons. Caramelization of sugars
> when they're heated is one. But it is a different process when
> fresh food turns brown on its own, such as cut apples browning,
> or bananas getting too ripe. This type of browning is because
> of oxidation and is named for one of the types of chemicals
> involved. What is it called?
>
> 8. A third major source of browning is the chemical reaction
> between <answer 5> and reducing sugars that gives browned
> food its distinctive flavor. Seared steaks, pan-fried
> dumplings, cookies and other kinds of biscuits, breads, toasted
> marshmallows, as well as many other foods, undergo this reaction.
> What is it called?
>
> 9. Oil and water don't mix, as anyone who has tried to make salad
> dressing can understand. But there are compounds that allow
> them to mix without separating. One is found in egg yolks,
> making possible such foods as hollandaise sauce and mayonnaise.
> What are these compounds called?
Emulsifier
> 10. Most pickles these days are made by adding vinegar (acetic
> acid) to vegetables to preserve them. Traditionally, though,
> pickles were fermented, which produced a different acid that
> acted as the preservative. Which acid?
>
> After completing the round, please decode this final bit of rot13:
> If you gave any of the following as your whole answer, please go
> back and give the rest of the name: ammonia or ammonium, carbonate
> or bicarbonate, soda or sodium.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 13, 2018, 1:53:30 PM6/13/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Norse Mythology
>
> 3. What goddess was associated with love, sex, beauty, fertility,
> gold, sorcery, war, and death? She was accompanied by the boar
> Hildisvíni, who she sometimes rode. She also rode in a chariot,
> pulled by two cats.

Freja (I'm sorry, but I don't know here English name.)

> 5. Name the god who possesses the horn Gjallarhorn. Before
> Ragnarök, he will blow this horn to call all of the gods
> to battle.

Thor

> 7. Odin's horse Sleipnir was known as the best of all horses.
> How many legs did Sleipnir have?

Six

> 9. What is the collective term for the lesser goddesses in Norse
> Mythology that serve Odin? Their task is to choose those who
> have died in the most heroic way in battle and carry them off
> to Valhalla.

Valkyries

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - Science of Food
>
> 1. Baking powder is is a combination of several ingredients.
> Primarily an acid such as cream of tartar or monocalcium
> phosphate combined with an alkali that produces bubbles when
> the mixture is exposed to water. What is the most common alkali
> component of baking powder?

Sodium bicarbonate

> 5. Proteins are made of smaller "building blocks". In humans,
> 8 of these are essential in one's diet; the others we can build
> from those. What are these "building blocks" collectively
> called?

Amino acids

> 6. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the above ones. Orsber onxvat fbqn jnf pbzzba,
> guvf bgure purzvpny jnf hfrq nf n yrniravat ntrag. Vg vf
> fgvyy hfrq va fbzr genqvgvbany erpvcrf, rfcrpvnyyl Trezna naq
> Fpnaqvanivna barf. Vg vf fbzrgvzrf pnyyrq Unegfubea orpnhfr
> gur bevtvany fbhepr jnf sebz qrre nagyref. Naq nygubhtu vg
> vf eryngrq gb n pyrnavat ntrag, guvf pbzcbhaq vf aba-gbkvp.
> Jung vf guvf genqvgvbany yrniravat ntrag?

Soduim bensoate

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 13, 2018, 9:03:38 PM6/13/18
Nine Inch Nails
> 2. "Bad Romance".
Lady Gaga
> 3. "Sweet Child o' Mine".
Guns N' Roses
> 4. "Seven Nation Army".
The White Stripes
> 5. "Black Hole Sun".
Soundgarden
> 6. "Creep".
Radiohead? (TLC? Stone Temple Pilots?)
> 7. "Gangsta's Paradise".
Coolio
> 8. "Thong Song".
Sisqo
> 9. "All About That Bass".
Meghan Trainor
> 10. "Who Can it be Now?".
Men At Work
Amino Acid

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 13, 2018, 9:29:11 PM6/13/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:HoKdnd_CB-ldT73GnZ2dnUU7-
X_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Norse Mythology
>
> 3. What goddess was associated with love, sex, beauty, fertility,
> gold, sorcery, war, and death? She was accompanied by the boar
> Hildisvíni, who she sometimes rode. She also rode in a chariot,
> pulled by two cats.

Hel

> 4. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Juvpu tbqqrff vf qrfpevorq nf
> gur jvsr bs gur tbq Bqva naq zbgure bs gur tbq Onyqe? Qhr gb
> fvtavsvpnag gurzngvp bireync, fpubynef unir cebcbfrq n pbaarpgvba
> gb Serln. Sevqnl vf anzrq nsgre ure.

Frigg

> * Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - Postmodern Jukebox
>
> In this format, I'll just give you the title of the song that you
> would have had to recognize from the audio clip, and you name the
> original artist or band as applicable.
>
> 1. "Closer".

Nine Inch Nails

> 2. "Bad Romance".

Lady Gaga

> 3. "Sweet Child o' Mine".

Guns n' Roses

> 4. "Seven Nation Army".

The White Stripes

> 5. "Black Hole Sun".

Soundgarden

> 6. "Creep".

Radiohead; TLC

> 7. "Gangsta's Paradise".

Coolio

> 8. "Thong Song".

Sisqo

> 9. "All About the Bass".

Meghan Trainor

> 10. "Who Can it be Now?".

Men at Work

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - Science of Food
>
> 1. Baking powder is is a combination of several ingredients.
> Primarily an acid such as cream of tartar or monocalcium
> phosphate combined with an alkali that produces bubbles when
> the mixture is exposed to water. What is the most common alkali
> component of baking powder?

baking soda

> 5. Proteins are made of smaller "building blocks". In humans,
> 8 of these are essential in one's diet; the others we can build
> from those. What are these "building blocks" collectively
> called?

amino acids

> 8. A third major source of browning is the chemical reaction
> between <answer 5> and reducing sugars that gives browned
> food its distinctive flavor. Seared steaks, pan-fried
> dumplings, cookies and other kinds of biscuits, breads, toasted
> marshmallows, as well as many other foods, undergo this reaction.
> What is it called?

Maillard reaction

> 9. Oil and water don't mix, as anyone who has tried to make salad
> dressing can understand. But there are compounds that allow
> them to mix without separating. One is found in egg yolks,
> making possible such foods as hollandaise sauce and mayonnaise.
> What are these compounds called?

emulsions

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jun 14, 2018, 1:15:01 AM6/14/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Norse Mythology
>
> 1. The god Loki is a shape-shifter. Name one of the creatures
> that Loki has assumed the shape of.

fly

> 2. Name Loki's giant wolf son who was tied up by the gods, but
> was destined to grow too big for his bonds and eat Odin.

Fenrir

> 3. What goddess was associated with love, sex, beauty, fertility,
> gold, sorcery, war, and death? She was accompanied by the boar
> Hildisvíni, who she sometimes rode. She also rode in a chariot,
> pulled by two cats.

Freyja

> 4. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Juvpu tbqqrff vf qrfpevorq nf
> gur jvsr bs gur tbq Bqva naq zbgure bs gur tbq Onyqe? Qhr gb
> fvtavsvpnag gurzngvp bireync, fpubynef unir cebcbfrq n pbaarpgvba
> gb Serln. Sevqnl vf anzrq nsgre ure.

Frigg

> 5. Name the god who possesses the horn Gjallarhorn. Before
> Ragnarök, he will blow this horn to call all of the gods
> to battle.

Baldr

> 6. Odin had two pet ravens named Huginn and Muninn. What do either
> of those names mean in English?

wisdom

> 7. Odin's horse Sleipnir was known as the best of all horses.
> How many legs did Sleipnir have?

8

> 8. In order to gain knowledge, Odin hung himself from a tree for
> 9 nights. Name that tree.

Yggdrasil

> 9. What is the collective term for the lesser goddesses in Norse
> Mythology that serve Odin? Their task is to choose those who
> have died in the most heroic way in battle and carry them off
> to Valhalla.

Valkeries

> 10. Only half of the warriors who die in combat go to Valhalla.
> Where do the other half go?

Hel
electroluminescence

> 3. When cream is whipped, the fat is stretched to form a foamy
> structure that holds tiny pockets of air. But these fat pockets
> melt when heated. When eggs are whipped, a different substance
> is stretched to form the air pockets -- one that is stable when
> heated. This is why we can have meringues and angel food cake.
> What is this substance?

albumin

> 4. When proteins are cooked they uncurl and can relink into
> larger molecules. But proteins can also be forced to uncurl
> by exposing them to an acid, such as in preparing ceviche.
> What is this process called?

denaturing

> 5. Proteins are made of smaller "building blocks". In humans,
> 8 of these are essential in one's diet; the others we can build
> from those. What are these "building blocks" collectively
> called?

amino acids
surfectants

> 10. Most pickles these days are made by adding vinegar (acetic
> acid) to vegetables to preserve them. Traditionally, though,
> pickles were fermented, which produced a different acid that
> acted as the preservative. Which acid?

citric acid

> After completing the round, please decode this final bit of rot13:
> Vs lbh tnir nal bs gur sbyybjvat nf lbhe jubyr nafjre, cyrnfr tb
> onpx naq tvir gur erfg bs gur anzr: nzzbavn be nzzbavhz, pneobangr
> be ovpneobangr, fbqn be fbqvhz.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Jun 14, 2018, 4:15:27 PM6/14/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:HoKdnd_CB-ldT73GnZ2dnUU7-
X_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-26,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Norse Mythology
>
> 1. The god Loki is a shape-shifter. Name one of the creatures
> that Loki has assumed the shape of.

Snake; Bear

> 2. Name Loki's giant wolf son who was tied up by the gods, but
> was destined to grow too big for his bonds and eat Odin.
>
> 3. What goddess was associated with love, sex, beauty, fertility,
> gold, sorcery, war, and death? She was accompanied by the boar
> Hildisvíni, who she sometimes rode. She also rode in a chariot,
> pulled by two cats.

Gaia; Freia

> 4. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Juvpu tbqqrff vf qrfpevorq nf
> gur jvsr bs gur tbq Bqva naq zbgure bs gur tbq Onyqe? Qhr gb
> fvtavsvpnag gurzngvp bireync, fpubynef unir cebcbfrq n pbaarpgvba
> gb Serln. Sevqnl vf anzrq nsgre ure.

Gaia

> 5. Name the god who possesses the horn Gjallarhorn. Before
> Ragnarök, he will blow this horn to call all of the gods
> to battle.

Wotan

> 6. Odin had two pet ravens named Huginn and Muninn. What do either
> of those names mean in English?
>
> 7. Odin's horse Sleipnir was known as the best of all horses.
> How many legs did Sleipnir have?
>
> 8. In order to gain knowledge, Odin hung himself from a tree for
> 9 nights. Name that tree.
>
> 9. What is the collective term for the lesser goddesses in Norse
> Mythology that serve Odin? Their task is to choose those who
> have died in the most heroic way in battle and carry them off
> to Valhalla.
>
> 10. Only half of the warriors who die in combat go to Valhalla.
> Where do the other half go?
>

> * Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - Postmodern Jukebox
>
> Yes, it's an audio round without the audio.
>
> In its original form, this round featured clips from the group
> Postmodern Jukebox, and the preamble began, "This is another
> jazz round. Well, not really."
>
> In this format, I'll just give you the title of the song that you
> would have had to recognize from the audio clip, and you name the
> original artist or band as applicable.
>
> 1. "Closer".
> 2. "Bad Romance".
> 3. "Sweet Child o' Mine".
> 4. "Seven Nation Army".

Jack White

> 5. "Black Hole Sun".
> 6. "Creep".
> 7. "Gangsta's Paradise".
> 8. "Thong Song".
> 9. "All About the Bass".
> 10. "Who Can it be Now?".
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - Science of Food
>
> 1. Baking powder is is a combination of several ingredients.
> Primarily an acid such as cream of tartar or monocalcium
> phosphate combined with an alkali that produces bubbles when
> the mixture is exposed to water. What is the most common alkali
> component of baking powder?
>
> 2. When you chew wintergreen Lifesavers, they emit light.
> The sparking is an effect of sugar crystals being fractured.
> The structural change to the sugar crystals results in the
> release of energy that is absorbed by flavor compounds which
> emit visible light as they return to ground state. What is
> the name of this effect?

Photokinesis

> 3. When cream is whipped, the fat is stretched to form a foamy
> structure that holds tiny pockets of air. But these fat pockets
> melt when heated. When eggs are whipped, a different substance
> is stretched to form the air pockets -- one that is stable when
> heated. This is why we can have meringues and angel food cake.
> What is this substance?

Albumen

> 4. When proteins are cooked they uncurl and can relink into
> larger molecules. But proteins can also be forced to uncurl
> by exposing them to an acid, such as in preparing ceviche.
> What is this process called?
>
> 5. Proteins are made of smaller "building blocks". In humans,
> 8 of these are essential in one's diet; the others we can build
> from those. What are these "building blocks" collectively
> called?

Vitamins
Esters

> 10. Most pickles these days are made by adding vinegar (acetic
> acid) to vegetables to preserve them. Traditionally, though,
> pickles were fermented, which produced a different acid that
> acted as the preservative. Which acid?
>
> After completing the round, please decode this final bit of rot13:
> Vs lbh tnir nal bs gur sbyybjvat nf lbhe jubyr nafjre, cyrnfr tb
> onpx naq tvir gur erfg bs gur anzr: nzzbavn be nzzbavhz, pneobangr
> be ovpneobangr, fbqn be fbqvhz.

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Jun 14, 2018, 10:03:53 PM6/14/18
On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 6:16:05 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Norse Mythology
>
> 1. The god Loki is a shape-shifter. Name one of the creatures
> that Loki has assumed the shape of.

Monkey

> 2. Name Loki's giant wolf son who was tied up by the gods, but
> was destined to grow too big for his bonds and eat Odin.

Thor, Frey

> 3. What goddess was associated with love, sex, beauty, fertility,
> gold, sorcery, war, and death? She was accompanied by the boar
> Hildisvíni, who she sometimes rode. She also rode in a chariot,
> pulled by two cats.

Freya

> 4. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Juvpu tbqqrff vf qrfpevorq nf
> gur jvsr bs gur tbq Bqva naq zbgure bs gur tbq Onyqe? Qhr gb
> fvtavsvpnag gurzngvp bireync, fpubynef unir cebcbfrq n pbaarpgvba
> gb Serln. Sevqnl vf anzrq nsgre ure.
>
> 5. Name the god who possesses the horn Gjallarhorn. Before
> Ragnarök, he will blow this horn to call all of the gods
> to battle.

Thor, Frey

> 6. Odin had two pet ravens named Huginn and Muninn. What do either
> of those names mean in English?
>
> 7. Odin's horse Sleipnir was known as the best of all horses.
> How many legs did Sleipnir have?

8, 6

> 8. In order to gain knowledge, Odin hung himself from a tree for
> 9 nights. Name that tree.
>
> 9. What is the collective term for the lesser goddesses in Norse
> Mythology that serve Odin? Their task is to choose those who
> have died in the most heroic way in battle and carry them off
> to Valhalla.
>
> 10. Only half of the warriors who die in combat go to Valhalla.
> Where do the other half go?
>

> * Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - Postmodern Jukebox
>

> 1. "Closer".
> 2. "Bad Romance".
> 3. "Sweet Child o' Mine".

Guns n Roses

> 4. "Seven Nation Army".
> 5. "Black Hole Sun".
> 6. "Creep".
> 7. "Gangsta's Paradise".

Coolio

> 8. "Thong Song".
> 9. "All About the Bass".
> 10. "Who Can it be Now?".

Men at Work

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - Science of Food

Blah.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 16, 2018, 1:54:56 AM6/16/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-26,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

It was fun to see different people completely skipping different
categories on this set.

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Norse Mythology

> 1. The god Loki is a shape-shifter. Name one of the creatures
> that Loki has assumed the shape of.

Salmon (accepting fish), fly, mare (accepting horse). I decided
"giantess" was also acceptable. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Name Loki's giant wolf son who was tied up by the gods, but
> was destined to grow too big for his bonds and eat Odin.

Fenrir (or Fenrisulfr). I accepted "Fenris". 4 for Dan Blum
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. What goddess was associated with love, sex, beauty, fertility,
> gold, sorcery, war, and death? She was accompanied by the boar
> Hildisvíni, who she sometimes rode. She also rode in a chariot,
> pulled by two cats.

Freya (or Freyja). I accepted "Freja" and "Freia". 4 for Dan Blum,
Erland, Dan Tilque, and Calvin. 2 for Pete.

> 4. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Which goddess is described as
> the wife of the god Odin and mother of the god Baldr? Due to
> significant thematic overlap, scholars have proposed a connection
> to Freya. Friday is named after her.

Frigg (or Frige). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Name the god who possesses the horn Gjallarhorn. Before
> Ragnarök, he will blow this horn to call all of the gods
> to battle.

Heimdall. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Odin had two pet ravens named Huginn and Muninn. What do either
> of those names mean in English?

Thought; memory or mind. I scored "wisdom" as almost correct.
4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> 7. Odin's horse Sleipnir was known as the best of all horses.
> How many legs did Sleipnir have?

8. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 8. In order to gain knowledge, Odin hung himself from a tree for
> 9 nights. Name that tree.

Yggdrasil. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 9. What is the collective term for the lesser goddesses in Norse
> Mythology that serve Odin? Their task is to choose those who
> have died in the most heroic way in battle and carry them off
> to Valhalla.

Valkyries (or Valkyrja or Choosers of the Slain). I accepted
"Valkeries". 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Only half of the warriors who die in combat go to Valhalla.
> Where do the other half go?

Folkvangr (or the People's Field).

> * Game 10, Round 5 - Audio - Postmodern Jukebox

> Yes, it's an audio round without the audio.

> In its original form, this round featured clips from the group
> Postmodern Jukebox, and the preamble began, "This is another
> jazz round. Well, not really."

> In this format, I'll give you the title of the song that you would
> have had to recognize from the audio clip, and you name the original
> artist or band as applicable.

> 1. "Closer".

Nine Inch Nails. 4 for Jason and Joshua.

> 2. "Bad Romance".

Lady Gaga. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Jason, and Joshua.

> 3. "Sweet Child o' Mine".

Guns N' Roses. 4 for Peter, Jason, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 4. "Seven Nation Army".

White Stripes. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Jason, and Joshua.

> 5. "Black Hole Sun".

Soundgarden. 4 for Jason and Joshua.

> 6. "Creep".

Radiohead. 4 for Peter and Jason. 3 for Joshua.

> 7. "Gangsta's Paradise".

Coolio. 4 for Peter, Jason, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 8. "Thong Song".

Sisqó. 4 for Peter, Jason, and Joshua.

> 9. "All About the Bass".

Meghan Trainor. 4 for Dan Blum, Jason, and Joshua.

> 10. "Who Can it be Now?".

Men at Work. 4 for Dan Blum, Jason, Joshua, and Calvin.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - Science of Food

> 1. Baking powder is is a combination of several ingredients.
> Primarily an acid such as cream of tartar or monocalcium
> phosphate combined with an alkali that produces bubbles when
> the mixture is exposed to water. What is the most common alkali
> component of baking powder?

Sodium bicarbonate (both words required, or "baking soda").
4 for Peter, Erland, and Joshua.

> 2. When you chew wintergreen Lifesavers, they emit light.
> The sparking is an effect of sugar crystals being fractured.
> The structural change to the sugar crystals results in the
> release of energy that is absorbed by flavor compounds which
> emit visible light as they return to ground state. What is
> the name of this effect?

Triboluminescence. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. When cream is whipped, the fat is stretched to form a foamy
> structure that holds tiny pockets of air. But these fat pockets
> melt when heated. When eggs are whipped, a different substance
> is stretched to form the air pockets -- one that is stable when
> heated. This is why we can have meringues and angel food cake.
> What is this substance?

Albumin (accepting protein). 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 4. When proteins are cooked they uncurl and can relink into
> larger molecules. But proteins can also be forced to uncurl
> by exposing them to an acid, such as in preparing ceviche.
> What is this process called?

Denaturing. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Proteins are made of smaller "building blocks". In humans,
> 8 of these are essential in one's diet; the others we can build
> from those. What are these "building blocks" collectively
> called?

Amino acids. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Jason, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the above ones. Before baking soda was common,
> this other chemical was used as a leavening agent. It is
> still used in some traditional recipes, especially German and
> Scandinavian ones. It is sometimes called Hartshorn because
> the original source was from deer antlers. And although it
> is related to a cleaning agent, this compound is non-toxic.
> What is this traditional leavening agent?

Ammonium bicarbonate (both words required, or "baking ammonia").

> 7. Food turns brown for many reasons. Caramelization of sugars
> when they're heated is one. But it is a different process when
> fresh food turns brown on its own, such as cut apples browning,
> or bananas getting too ripe. This type of browning is because
> of oxidation and is named for one of the types of chemicals
> involved. What is it called?

Enzymatic browning (any reference to enzymes was acceptable).

> 8. A third major source of browning is the chemical reaction
> between <answer 5> and reducing sugars that gives browned
> food its distinctive flavor. Seared steaks, pan-fried
> dumplings, cookies and other kinds of biscuits, breads, toasted
> marshmallows, as well as many other foods, undergo this reaction.
> What is it called?

Maillard reaction. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Oil and water don't mix, as anyone who has tried to make salad
> dressing can understand. But there are compounds that allow
> them to mix without separating. One is found in egg yolks,
> making possible such foods as hollandaise sauce and mayonnaise.
> What are these compounds called?

Emulsifiers. The mixtures formed are "emulsions", so I scored that
as almost correct. 4 for Dan Blum and Peter. 3 for Joshua.

> 10. Most pickles these days are made by adding vinegar (acetic
> acid) to vegetables to preserve them. Traditionally, though,
> pickles were fermented, which produced a different acid that
> acted as the preservative. Which acid?

Lactic acid.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Geo Mis Aud Sci THREE
Dan Blum 36 32 36 16 24 104
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 4 39 15 103
Peter Smyth 12 30 0 24 20 74
Dan Tilque 12 28 31 0 12 71
Jason Kreitzer 12 12 0 40 4 64
Erland Sommarskog 0 32 8 0 8 48
"Calvin" 16 19 7 12 0 47
Pete Gayde 16 24 2 0 4 44

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Subway Emergency Instructions...
m...@vex.net | * Do not pull the emergency cord. -- MTA, NYC