QFTCI5GNM15 Final, Round 3: Science

Mark Brader

Dec 23, 2015, 6:26:31 AM12/23/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in 4 days and about 18-20 hours, i.e. you have
until Sunday night (by Toronto time) to enter.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 3 - Science

* Galaxies

1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?

2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.

3. Discovered in 2003, this satellite galaxy is the closest galaxy
to the Milky Way and is slowly being cannibalized by it.
Again it is named for a constellation -- which one?

* Internet Adages

In each case, complete the adage.

4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
not to ask a question, it's to _____".

5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
blank.)

6. Poe's Law, given by Nathan Poe in 2005, claims that "without
_____, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or
fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing".

* Tautonyms

The scientific names of many animals use the same word twice for
genus and species, e.g. the gorilla, Gorilla gorilla. We give
a tautonymic scientific name and some description; you give the
common name of the animal.

Note: The principal word will suffice, e.g. "camel" rather than
"Bactrian camel". But if you give more, then it has to be correct.

7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
of the Sanskrit word "naga".

8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
culture and literature with witchcraft.

9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.

* Psych Scales

10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
the Kinsey scale?

11. The Hamilton Rating Scale evaluates adults by probing mood,
feelings of guilt, suicide ideation, insomnia, agitation
or retardation, anxiety, weight loss, and somatic symptoms.
Scores of 0 to 7 are considered normal. What does it measure?

12. Folstein's Test, a.k.a. the mini-mental state examination,
is a sensitive, valid, and reliable 30-point questionnaire
that is commonly used in medicine and allied health fields.
What mental condition or disorder is it used to screen?

* Elementary Geography

The names of elements are derived from a variety of sources,
including place names.

13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.

14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?

15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
country?

--
Mark Brader | There is no rule that relates [these behaviors]...
Toronto | In general, they do what you want, unless you want

Peter Smyth

Dec 23, 2015, 6:38:47 AM12/23/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Galaxies
>
> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?
Andromeda
> 2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
> explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
> the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.
>
> 3. Discovered in 2003, this satellite galaxy is the closest galaxy
> to the Milky Way and is slowly being cannibalized by it.
> Again it is named for a constellation -- which one?
>

> * Internet Adages
>
> In each case, complete the adage.
>
> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".
Write the answer
> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in either
> blank.)
Hitler
> 6. Poe's Law, given by Nathan Poe in 2005, claims that "without
> _____, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or
> fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing".
smilies

> * Tautonyms
>
> The scientific names of many animals use the same word twice for
> genus and species, e.g. the gorilla, Gorilla gorilla. We give
> a tautonymic scientific name and some description; you give the
> common name of the animal.
>
> Note: The principal word will suffice, e.g. "camel" rather than
> "Bactrian camel". But if you give more, then it has to be correct.
>
> 7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
> by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
> of the Sanskrit word "naga".
Cobra
> 8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
> found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
> and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
> culture and literature with witchcraft.
Toad, Newt
> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.
Mink

> * Psych Scales
>
> 10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
> self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
> continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
> the Kinsey scale?
Sexual orientation
> 11. The Hamilton Rating Scale evaluates adults by probing mood,
> feelings of guilt, suicide ideation, insomnia, agitation
> or retardation, anxiety, weight loss, and somatic symptoms.
> Scores of 0 to 7 are considered normal. What does it measure?
Depression
> 12. Folstein's Test, a.k.a. the mini-mental state examination,
> is a sensitive, valid, and reliable 30-point questionnaire
> that is commonly used in medicine and allied health fields.
> What mental condition or disorder is it used to screen?
Depression

> * Elementary Geography
>
> The names of elements are derived from a variety of sources,
> including place names.
>
> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.
Paris
> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?
Sweden
> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?
Turkey

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Dec 23, 2015, 9:17:13 AM12/23/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science

> * Galaxies

> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?

Andromeda

> 2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
> explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
> the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.

Large Magellanic Cloud; Small Magellanic Cloud

> * Internet Adages

> In each case, complete the adage.

> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".

give a wrong answer

> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
> blank.)

Hitler

> * Tautonyms

> 7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
> by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
> of the Sanskrit word "naga".

cobra

> 8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
> found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
> and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
> culture and literature with witchcraft.

toad

> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.

fox

> * Psych Scales

> 10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
> self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
> continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
> the Kinsey scale?

gender of sexual partners

> 11. The Hamilton Rating Scale evaluates adults by probing mood,
> feelings of guilt, suicide ideation, insomnia, agitation
> or retardation, anxiety, weight loss, and somatic symptoms.
> Scores of 0 to 7 are considered normal. What does it measure?

depression

> 12. Folstein's Test, a.k.a. the mini-mental state examination,
> is a sensitive, valid, and reliable 30-point questionnaire
> that is commonly used in medicine and allied health fields.
> What mental condition or disorder is it used to screen?

psychosis; depression

> * Elementary Geography

> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.

Paris

> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?

Sweden

> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?

Greece; Bulgaria

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Björn Lundin

Dec 23, 2015, 12:36:09 PM12/23/15
On 2015-12-23 12:26, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in 4 days and about 18-20 hours, i.e. you have
> until Sunday night (by Toronto time) to enter.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Galaxies
>
> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?

Andromeda

> * Internet Adages
>
> In each case, complete the adage.
>
> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".

use Wikipedia ?

> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
> blank.)

Heaven

> * Tautonyms
>
> The scientific names of many animals use the same word twice for
> genus and species, e.g. the gorilla, Gorilla gorilla. We give
> a tautonymic scientific name and some description; you give the
> common name of the animal.
>
> Note: The principal word will suffice, e.g. "camel" rather than
> "Bactrian camel". But if you give more, then it has to be correct.
>
> 7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
> by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
> of the Sanskrit word "naga".

Kobra.
Sounds like something from riki-tiki-tavi

> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.

Wolf; Fox

> * Elementary Geography
>
> The names of elements are derived from a variety of sources,
> including place names.
>
> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.

Paris

> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?

Sweden - probably close to Erland

> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?

Greece

Björn

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 23, 2015, 3:31:32 PM12/23/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Galaxies
>
> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?

Andromeda

> 2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
> explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
> the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.

Magellean clouds

> In each case, complete the adage.
>
> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".

Write the answer

> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
> blank.)

Hitler

> 6. Poe's Law, given by Nathan Poe in 2005, claims that "without
> _____, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or
> fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing".

doubt

> 8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
> found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
> and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
> culture and literature with witchcraft.

Bat

> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.

Mink

> 10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
> self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
> continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
> the Kinsey scale?

Sexual

> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.

Paris

> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?

Sweden. But it's not a town. (Boy, is it popular to ask about these
elements or what?)

> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?

Greece

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 23, 2015, 3:37:00 PM12/23/15
Björn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
>> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?
>
> Sweden - probably close to Erland

Yes, it's on Resarö which is just north of Vaxholm.

Calvin

Dec 23, 2015, 6:42:50 PM12/23/15
On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 9:26:31 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Galaxies
>
> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?

Andromeda

> 2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
> explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
> the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.

Magellanic cloud

> 3. Discovered in 2003, this satellite galaxy is the closest galaxy
> to the Milky Way and is slowly being cannibalized by it.
> Again it is named for a constellation -- which one?
>

> * Internet Adages
>
> In each case, complete the adage.
>
> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".

Post the wrong answer

> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
> blank.)

Hitler or Nazis

> 6. Poe's Law, given by Nathan Poe in 2005, claims that "without
> _____, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or
> fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing".

Exception

> * Tautonyms
>
> The scientific names of many animals use the same word twice for
> genus and species, e.g. the gorilla, Gorilla gorilla. We give
> a tautonymic scientific name and some description; you give the
> common name of the animal.
>
> Note: The principal word will suffice, e.g. "camel" rather than
> "Bactrian camel". But if you give more, then it has to be correct.
>
> 7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
> by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
> of the Sanskrit word "naga".

Alligator, Komodo dragon

> 8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
> found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
> and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
> culture and literature with witchcraft.

Toad, Frog

> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.

Fox

> * Psych Scales
>
> 10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
> self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
> continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
> the Kinsey scale?

Promiscuity, Heterosexuality

> 11. The Hamilton Rating Scale evaluates adults by probing mood,
> feelings of guilt, suicide ideation, insomnia, agitation
> or retardation, anxiety, weight loss, and somatic symptoms.
> Scores of 0 to 7 are considered normal. What does it measure?

Depression

> 12. Folstein's Test, a.k.a. the mini-mental state examination,
> is a sensitive, valid, and reliable 30-point questionnaire
> that is commonly used in medicine and allied health fields.
> What mental condition or disorder is it used to screen?

Schizophrenia, suicide risk

> * Elementary Geography
>
> The names of elements are derived from a variety of sources,
> including place names.
>
> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.

Paris

> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?

Sweden

> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?

Greece

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Dec 23, 2015, 7:57:52 PM12/23/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:5sydnaDcmtl7GefLnZ2dnUU7-
X2d...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in 4 days and about 18-20 hours, i.e. you have
> until Sunday night (by Toronto time) to enter.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Galaxies
>
> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?

Crab

> 2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
> explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
> the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.

Tasman; Vasco da Gama

> 3. Discovered in 2003, this satellite galaxy is the closest galaxy
> to the Milky Way and is slowly being cannibalized by it.
> Again it is named for a constellation -- which one?

Andromeda

> * Internet Adages
>
> In each case, complete the adage.
>
> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".

Google it

> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
> blank.)

Hitler

> 6. Poe's Law, given by Nathan Poe in 2005, claims that "without
> _____, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or
> fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing".
>

> * Tautonyms
>
> The scientific names of many animals use the same word twice for
> genus and species, e.g. the gorilla, Gorilla gorilla. We give
> a tautonymic scientific name and some description; you give the
> common name of the animal.
>
> Note: The principal word will suffice, e.g. "camel" rather than
> "Bactrian camel". But if you give more, then it has to be correct.
>
> 7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
> by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
> of the Sanskrit word "naga".

Snake

> 8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
> found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
> and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
> culture and literature with witchcraft.
>
> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.

Mink; Ermine

> * Psych Scales
>
> 10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
> self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
> continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
> the Kinsey scale?

Sexual

> 11. The Hamilton Rating Scale evaluates adults by probing mood,
> feelings of guilt, suicide ideation, insomnia, agitation
> or retardation, anxiety, weight loss, and somatic symptoms.
> Scores of 0 to 7 are considered normal. What does it measure?
>
> 12. Folstein's Test, a.k.a. the mini-mental state examination,
> is a sensitive, valid, and reliable 30-point questionnaire
> that is commonly used in medicine and allied health fields.
> What mental condition or disorder is it used to screen?
>

> * Elementary Geography
>
> The names of elements are derived from a variety of sources,
> including place names.
>
> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.

Lucerne

> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?

Belgium

> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?

Greece

Pete

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 23, 2015, 11:14:06 PM12/23/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:5sydnaDcmtl7GefLnZ2dnUU7-
X2d...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Galaxies
>
> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?

Andromeda

> 2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
> explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
> the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.

Large Magellanic Cloud

> * Internet Adages
>
> In each case, complete the adage.
>
> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".

post the wrong answer

> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
> blank.)

Hitler

> * Tautonyms
>
> The scientific names of many animals use the same word twice for
> genus and species, e.g. the gorilla, Gorilla gorilla. We give
> a tautonymic scientific name and some description; you give the
> common name of the animal.
>
> 7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
> by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
> of the Sanskrit word "naga".
>
> 8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
> found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
> and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
> culture and literature with witchcraft.

toad

> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.

fox

> * Psych Scales
>
> 10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
> self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
> continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
> the Kinsey scale?

sexual orientation

> * Elementary Geography
>
> The names of elements are derived from a variety of sources,
> including place names.
>
> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.

Paris

> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?

Sweden

> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?

Greece

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Dec 24, 2015, 2:56:17 AM12/24/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Galaxies
>
> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?

Andromeda

> 2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
> explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
> the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.

Large Magellanic Cloud

> 3. Discovered in 2003, this satellite galaxy is the closest galaxy
> to the Milky Way and is slowly being cannibalized by it.
> Again it is named for a constellation -- which one?

Sagitarius

> * Internet Adages
>
> In each case, complete the adage.
>
> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".

make a mistake

> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
> blank.)

Hitler

> 6. Poe's Law, given by Nathan Poe in 2005, claims that "without
> _____, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or
> fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing".

smilies

> * Tautonyms
>
> The scientific names of many animals use the same word twice for
> genus and species, e.g. the gorilla, Gorilla gorilla. We give
> a tautonymic scientific name and some description; you give the
> common name of the animal.
>
> Note: The principal word will suffice, e.g. "camel" rather than
> "Bactrian camel". But if you give more, then it has to be correct.
>
> 7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
> by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
> of the Sanskrit word "naga".

python

> 8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
> found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
> and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
> culture and literature with witchcraft.

toad

> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.

mink

> * Psych Scales
>
> 10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
> self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
> continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
> the Kinsey scale?

sexual

> 11. The Hamilton Rating Scale evaluates adults by probing mood,
> feelings of guilt, suicide ideation, insomnia, agitation
> or retardation, anxiety, weight loss, and somatic symptoms.
> Scores of 0 to 7 are considered normal. What does it measure?
>
> 12. Folstein's Test, a.k.a. the mini-mental state examination,
> is a sensitive, valid, and reliable 30-point questionnaire
> that is commonly used in medicine and allied health fields.
> What mental condition or disorder is it used to screen?
>

> * Elementary Geography
>
> The names of elements are derived from a variety of sources,
> including place names.
>
> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.

Paris

> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?

Sweden

> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?

Greece

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 24, 2015, 3:47:54 AM12/24/15
In article <5sydnaDcmtl7GefL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Galaxies
>
> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?
Andromeda

> 2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
> explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
> the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.
>
> 3. Discovered in 2003, this satellite galaxy is the closest galaxy
> to the Milky Way and is slowly being cannibalized by it.
> Again it is named for a constellation -- which one?
>

> * Internet Adages
>
> In each case, complete the adage.
>
> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".
provide a wrong answer

> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
> blank.)
Hitler

> 6. Poe's Law, given by Nathan Poe in 2005, claims that "without
> _____, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or
> fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing".
a smiley

> * Tautonyms
>
> The scientific names of many animals use the same word twice for
> genus and species, e.g. the gorilla, Gorilla gorilla. We give
> a tautonymic scientific name and some description; you give the
> common name of the animal.
>
> Note: The principal word will suffice, e.g. "camel" rather than
> "Bactrian camel". But if you give more, then it has to be correct.
>
> 7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
> by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
> of the Sanskrit word "naga".
cobra

> 8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
> found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
> and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
> culture and literature with witchcraft.
toad

> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.
fox

> * Psych Scales
>
> 10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
> self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
> continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
> the Kinsey scale?
hetero/homo

> 11. The Hamilton Rating Scale evaluates adults by probing mood,
> feelings of guilt, suicide ideation, insomnia, agitation
> or retardation, anxiety, weight loss, and somatic symptoms.
> Scores of 0 to 7 are considered normal. What does it measure?
depression

> 12. Folstein's Test, a.k.a. the mini-mental state examination,
> is a sensitive, valid, and reliable 30-point questionnaire
> that is commonly used in medicine and allied health fields.
> What mental condition or disorder is it used to screen?
>

> * Elementary Geography
>
> The names of elements are derived from a variety of sources,
> including place names.
>
> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.
Paris

> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?
Sweden

> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?
Greece

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2015, 2:27:05 AM12/28/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science

> * Galaxies

> 1. Long thought to be a nebula, this was the first galaxy
> determined not to be a part of the Milky Way. It is named for
> the constellation in which it is seen. What constellation?

Andromeda. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland, Calvin, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 2. This satellite galaxy of the Milky Way is named for a terrestrial
> explorer. Visible only in the Southern Hemisphere, it is also
> the brightest patch of nebulosity in the sky. Name it.

Large Magellanic Cloud. (Any reference to the Magellanic Clouds was
sufficient.) 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Discovered in 2003, this satellite galaxy is the closest galaxy
> to the Milky Way and is slowly being cannibalized by it.
> Again it is named for a constellation -- which one?

Canis Major. (It's the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy.)

> * Internet Adages

> In each case, complete the adage.

> 4. Howard G. "Ward" Cunningham, who also developed the wiki, said
> that "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is
> not to ask a question, it's to _____".

Post a wrong answer. I accepted "make a mistake". 4 for Dan Blum,
Calvin, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 5. Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in
> 1990, Godwin's Law is an Internet adage asserting that "as an
> online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving _____ or _____ approaches 1". (Fill in *either*
> blank.)

Nazis, Hitler. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin (the hard way),
Pete, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 6. Poe's Law, given by Nathan Poe in 2005, claims that "without
> _____, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or
> fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing".

A blatant display of humor. (Any reference to humor was sufficient,
so I scored "a smiley" as almost correct.) 3 for Peter, Dan Tilque,
and Marc.

> * Tautonyms

> The scientific names of many animals use the same word twice for
> genus and species, e.g. the gorilla, Gorilla gorilla. We give
> a tautonymic scientific name and some description; you give the
> common name of the animal.

> Note: The principal word will suffice, e.g. "camel" rather than
> "Bactrian camel". But if you give more, then it has to be correct.

> 7. Naja naja. Found in South Asia, this reptile was first described
> by Carl Linnaeus in 1758. The name "naja" is a Latinization
> of the Sanskrit word "naga".

Indian cobra. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Björn, and Marc.

> 8. Bufo bufo. This predominantly land-dwelling amphibian is
> found throughout Europe, the western part of North Asia,
> and northwest Africa. It has long been associated in popular
> culture and literature with witchcraft.

Common toad. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Marc.
3 for Peter and Calvin.

> 9. Vulpes vulpes. This mammal is the most abundant wild carnivore,
> found across the entire Northern Hemisphere from the Arctic
> Circle to North Africa, North America, and Eurasia. Because of
> its widespread distribution and large population, it is one of
> the most important animals harvested for the fur trade.

Red fox. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Marc. 2 for Björn.

> * Psych Scales

> 10. Developed by Alfred Kinsey and his colleagues in 1948, a
> self-administered test evaluates people's preference on a
> continuous scale from 0 to 6. What preference is rated using
> the Kinsey scale?

Sexual orientation (hetero- or homo-). Just "sexual" was too vague
an answer to accept, especially when Kinsey was mentioned in the
question. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Marc. 2 for Calvin.

> 11. The Hamilton Rating Scale evaluates adults by probing mood,
> feelings of guilt, suicide ideation, insomnia, agitation
> or retardation, anxiety, weight loss, and somatic symptoms.
> Scores of 0 to 7 are considered normal. What does it measure?

Depression. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Marc.

> 12. Folstein's Test, a.k.a. the mini-mental state examination,
> is a sensitive, valid, and reliable 30-point questionnaire
> that is commonly used in medicine and allied health fields.
> What mental condition or disorder is it used to screen?

Dementia (e.g. from Alzheimer's disease).

> * Elementary Geography

> The names of elements are derived from a variety of sources,
> including place names.

> 13. Lutetium, atomic number 71, is named after the Latin name of
> this European city during the Roman era. Name the city.

Paris. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland, Calvin, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 14. The name of four elements -- yttrium, terbium, erbium, and
> ytterbium -- pay tribute to Ytterby, a town in which country?

Sweden. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland, Calvin, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 15. Two elements -- manganese and magnesium -- refer to Magnesia, a
> district in Thessaly, which is located in which modern-day
> country?

Greece. 4 for Björn, Erland, Calvin, Pete, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 32 40 72
Marc Dashevsky 22 47 69
Peter Smyth 35 34 69
Dan Blum 14 47 61
"Calvin" 20 41 61
Dan Tilque 20 35 55
Erland Sommarskog 16 24 40
Björn Lundin 18 22 40
Pete Gayde 20 8 28
Gareth Owen 12 -- 12

--
Mark Brader "Poor spelling does not prove poor knowledge,
Toronto but is fatal to the argument by intimidation."