QFTCISG Game 1, Rounds 4,6: UK ex-colonies, TO events

Mark Brader

Sep 28, 2017, 2:44:42 AM9/28/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies

The following round is about territories that belonged by
settlement, conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an
independent Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the
timeline of the colony, and tell you what it eventually became
or merged with. Unless requested otherwise, you must give its
colonial name.

1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.

2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.

3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
South Africa.

4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
What is it called *today*?

5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either
of the two British colonies.

6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.

7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.

8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
in 1871.

9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the
colonial or the present name.

10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
fnvq "Eubqrfvn" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq zber.

* Game 1, Round 6 - Canadiana Leisure - Toronto's Annual Events

For each of these events, give the first year it was held, within the
indicated range. If the name has changed over the years, we mean the
first year under the original name.

1. Beaches International Jazz Festival, within 3 years.
2. Nuit Blanche, 2 years.
3. Toronto International Film Festival, 4 years.
4. Taste of the Danforth, 3 years.
5. Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival, 4 years.
6. Luminato, 2 years.
7. Caribana, 6 years.
8. Pride Parade, 4 years.
9. Santa Claus Parade, 8 years.
10. Doors Open Toronto, 3 years.

--
Mark Brader | "Ooh, righteous indignation -- a bold choice!
Toronto | I myself would start with dismay and *work my way up*

Peter Smyth

Sep 28, 2017, 8:04:17 AM9/28/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies
>
> The following round is about territories that belonged by
> settlement, conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an
> independent Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the
> timeline of the colony, and tell you what it eventually became
> or merged with. Unless requested otherwise, you must give its
> colonial name.
>
> 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.
Aden
> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.
>
> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.
Orange Free State
> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called today?
Tasmania
> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
> 1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name or name either
> of the two British colonies.
Florida
> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.
Northern Rhodesia
> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.
British Honduras
> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
> in 1871.
Newfoundland
> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give either the
> colonial or the present name.
Pakistan
> 10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
> was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.
Maldives
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vf you just
> said "Rhodesia" for any answer, we need more.

Peter Smyth

Don Piven

Sep 28, 2017, 8:06:53 AM9/28/17
On 9/28/17 01:44, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies
>
> The following round is about territories that belonged by
> settlement, conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an
> independent Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the
> timeline of the colony, and tell you what it eventually became
> or merged with. Unless requested otherwise, you must give its
> colonial name.
>
> 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.

Aden

> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.

Georgia

> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.

Cape Colony

> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called *today*?

Tasmania

> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
> 1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either
> of the two British colonies.

Florida

> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.

Southern Rhodesia

> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.

British Honduras

> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
> in 1871.

British Columbia

> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the
> colonial or the present name.

Ceylon

> 10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
> was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.

Seychelles

Dan Blum

Sep 28, 2017, 8:30:59 AM9/28/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies

> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.

Georgia

> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.

Cape Colony

> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called *today*?

Tasmania

> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
> 1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either
> of the two British colonies.

Florida

> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.

British Rhodesia

> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.

British Honduras

> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
> in 1871.

British Columbia

> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the
> colonial or the present name.

Sri Lanka; Nepal

> 10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
> was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.

Seychelles

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Canadiana Leisure - Toronto's Annual Events

> 1. Beaches International Jazz Festival, within 3 years.

1960; 1970

> 2. Nuit Blanche, 2 years.

1980; 1990

> 3. Toronto International Film Festival, 4 years.

1975; 1985

> 4. Taste of the Danforth, 3 years.

2000; 2010

> 5. Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival, 4 years.

1980; 1990

> 6. Luminato, 2 years.

2005; 2009

> 7. Caribana, 6 years.

1990; 2002

> 8. Pride Parade, 4 years.

1985; 1994

> 9. Santa Claus Parade, 8 years.

1980; 2000

> 10. Doors Open Toronto, 3 years.

2000; 2010

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 28, 2017, 10:30:24 AM9/28/17
In article <MuOdneq9RffIB1HE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies
>
> The following round is about territories that belonged by
> settlement, conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an
> independent Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the
> timeline of the colony, and tell you what it eventually became
> or merged with. Unless requested otherwise, you must give its
> colonial name.
>
> 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.
>
> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.
Georgia

> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.
Transvaal, Natal

> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called *today*?
Tasmania

> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
> 1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either
> of the two British colonies.
>
> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.
Southern Rhodesia

> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name
British Honduras

> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
> in 1871.
>
> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the
> colonial or the present name.
Burma

> 10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
> was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "Eubqrfvn" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq zber.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Canadiana Leisure - Toronto's Annual Events
>
> For each of these events, give the first year it was held, within the
> indicated range. If the name has changed over the years, we mean the
> first year under the original name.
>
> 1. Beaches International Jazz Festival, within 3 years.
> 2. Nuit Blanche, 2 years.
> 3. Toronto International Film Festival, 4 years.
> 4. Taste of the Danforth, 3 years.
> 5. Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival, 4 years.
> 6. Luminato, 2 years.
> 7. Caribana, 6 years.
> 8. Pride Parade, 4 years.
> 9. Santa Claus Parade, 8 years.
> 10. Doors Open Toronto, 3 years.

---
http://www.avg.com

Bruce Bowler

Sep 28, 2017, 11:25:26 AM9/28/17
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 01:44:37 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my recent companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies
>
> The following round is about territories that belonged by settlement,
> conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an independent
> Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the timeline of the
> colony, and tell you what it eventually became or merged with. Unless
> requested otherwise, you must give its colonial name.
>
> 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.
>
> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.

Georgia

> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.
>
> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called *today*?

Tasmania

> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in 1821
> it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either of the two
> British colonies.

Puerto Rico

> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.

Rhodesia

> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.

British Honduras

> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada in 1871.
>
> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the colonial or
> the present name.

Sri Lanka

> 10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
> was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg fnvq
> "Eubqrfvn" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq zber.

Sorry, don't have more to add...

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Canadiana Leisure - Toronto's Annual Events

nope

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 28, 2017, 2:34:09 PM9/28/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies
>
> 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.

Aden

> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.

Georgia

> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.

Cape Province

> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called *today*?

Tasmania

> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
> 1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either
> of the two British colonies.

Florida

> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.

South Rhodesia

(But this is really messy. Rhodesia as a colony was Zimbabwe, Zambia
and Malawi. So that far, the required qualification of "South" is
correct. But it became independent way before 1980 being called only
Rhodesia. Up 1980 it was ruled by Ian Smith, who belonged to the country's
white minority. What happened in 1980 was that he had to give in for the two
guerillas that represented the black majority and the country changed its
name as part of this.)

> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.

British Honduras

> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
> in 1871.

British Column

> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the
> colonial or the present name.

Sri Lanka

> 10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
> was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.

Seychelles

Mark Brader

Sep 28, 2017, 2:54:30 PM9/28/17
Erland Sommarskog:
> But it became independent way before 1980...

Next you're going to tell me that the US became independent in 1776
instead of 1783. :-)

Note that the question did not say "became independent". (Well, in
the original version it did, but I fixed it.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is a film of non-stop action
m...@vex.net | and non-start intelligence." --Mark Leeper

Dan Tilque

Sep 28, 2017, 10:08:05 PM9/28/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies
>
> The following round is about territories that belonged by
> settlement, conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an
> independent Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the
> timeline of the colony, and tell you what it eventually became
> or merged with. Unless requested otherwise, you must give its
> colonial name.
>
> 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.

Aden

> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.

Georgia

> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.

Cape Colony

> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called *today*?

Tasmania

> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
> 1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either
> of the two British colonies.

Florida

> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.

Southern Rhodesia

> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.

British Honduras

> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
> in 1871.

British Columbia

> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the
> colonial or the present name.

Sri Lanka

> 10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
> was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.

Maldives

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "Eubqrfvn" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq zber.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Canadiana Leisure - Toronto's Annual Events
>
> For each of these events, give the first year it was held, within the
> indicated range. If the name has changed over the years, we mean the
> first year under the original name.
>
> 1. Beaches International Jazz Festival, within 3 years.

1973

> 2. Nuit Blanche, 2 years.

1991

> 3. Toronto International Film Festival, 4 years.

1969

> 4. Taste of the Danforth, 3 years.

1980

> 5. Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival, 4 years.

1970

> 6. Luminato, 2 years.

2003

> 7. Caribana, 6 years.

1947

> 8. Pride Parade, 4 years.

1992

> 9. Santa Claus Parade, 8 years.

1925

> 10. Doors Open Toronto, 3 years.

1977

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Sep 28, 2017, 10:53:54 PM9/28/17
On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 2:44:42 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies
>
> The following round is about territories that belonged by
> settlement, conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an
> independent Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the
> timeline of the colony, and tell you what it eventually became
> or merged with. Unless requested otherwise, you must give its
> colonial name.
>
> 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.
Oman?
> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.
>
> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.
>
> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called *today*?
>
> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
> 1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either
> of the two British colonies.
>
> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.
Rhodesia
> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.
British Honduras
> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
> in 1871.
>
> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the
> colonial or the present name.
Pakistan

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 29, 2017, 1:10:21 AM9/29/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:MuOdneq9RffIB1HEnZ2dnUU7-
Q_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies
>
> The following round is about territories that belonged by
> settlement, conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an
> independent Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the
> timeline of the colony, and tell you what it eventually became
> or merged with. Unless requested otherwise, you must give its
> colonial name.
>
> 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.

Apparently I need to work on my geography, because I was under the
impression that the southern border of Yemen was the Indian Ocean, and I
don't recognize the name of the *Federation* of Saudi Arabia (as opposed
to the *Kingdom* of Saudi Arabia).

> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.

Vermont

> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.

Cape Colony

> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called *today*?

Tasmania

> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
> 1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either
> of the two British colonies.

Florida

> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.

Southern Rhodesia

> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.

British Honduras

> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
> in 1871.

Upper Canada; Lower Canada

> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the
> colonial or the present name.

Sri Lanka

> 10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
> was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.

Seychelles

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "Eubqrfvn" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq zber.

Nafjre rqvgrq nppbeqvatyl.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Canadiana Leisure - Toronto's Annual Events
>
> For each of these events, give the first year it was held, within the
> indicated range. If the name has changed over the years, we mean the
> first year under the original name.
>
> 1. Beaches International Jazz Festival, within 3 years.

1980

> 2. Nuit Blanche, 2 years.

1980

> 3. Toronto International Film Festival, 4 years.

1980

> 4. Taste of the Danforth, 3 years.

1980

> 5. Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival, 4 years.

1980

> 6. Luminato, 2 years.

1980

> 7. Caribana, 6 years.

1975

> 8. Pride Parade, 4 years.

1980

> 9. Santa Claus Parade, 8 years.

1980

> 10. Doors Open Toronto, 3 years.

1980

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Sep 29, 2017, 9:46:29 AM9/29/17
Joshua Kreitzer <grom...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies
> >
> > The following round is about territories that belonged by
> > settlement, conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an
> > independent Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the
> > timeline of the colony, and tell you what it eventually became
> > or merged with. Unless requested otherwise, you must give its
> > colonial name.
> >
> > 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> > Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.

> Apparently I need to work on my geography, because I was under the
> impression that the southern border of Yemen was the Indian Ocean, and I
> don't recognize the name of the *Federation* of Saudi Arabia (as opposed
> to the *Kingdom* of Saudi Arabia).

Researching the issue, I believe this is a significant error in the
question - it should say Federation of *South* Arabia, which included
Aden Colony, presumably the intended answer. (Also the colony became
part of the Federation in 1963; 1967 is when the Federation became the
People's Republic of South Yemen.)

Mark Brader

Oct 1, 2017, 1:51:14 AM10/1/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Former British Crown Colonies

> The following round is about territories that belonged by
> settlement, conquest, or annexation to the British Crown or to an
> independent Commonwealth nation. We provide some events in the
> timeline of the colony, and tell you what it eventually became
> or merged with. Unless requested otherwise, you must give its
> colonial name.

> 1. A colony from 1937 to 1967, located on the south of today's
> Yemen, it became part of the Federation of Saudi Arabia.

Urk! As Joshua and Dan Blum noted, there was no such federation;
it was the Federation of *South* Arabia. My error when retyping the
round for use here; sorry! Some people did get the answer anyway,
which is Aden. 4 for Peter, Don, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. A colony from 1733 to 1776, it became part of the USA.

Georgia. 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. A colony from 1843 to 1910, it became part of the Union of
> South Africa.

Natal. 2 for Marc.

The Cape Colony was the most popular wrong answer (and my suggestion
too, at the original game), but it was actually a British colony as
early as 1795. I have to say I didn't think much of these questions
where you had to pick out a colony from multiple possible answers
solely by the date it was establsihed.

> 4. Called Van Diemen's Land from 1803 to 1856, originally part
> of New South Wales until it became an independent colony in 1825.
> In 1901 it became part of the Commonwealth of Australia.
> What is it called *today*?

Tasmania. 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Erland,
Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 5. In 1763 the British took control of this area and formed two
> separate colonies; in 1783 they ceded it back to Spain, and in
> 1821 it joined the USA. Give its present name *or* name either
> of the two British colonies.

Florida, East Florida, West Florida. 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Blum,
Erland, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 6. A self-governing colony from 1923, Britain accepted its
> independence in 1980 and it became Zimbabwe.

Southern Rhodesia. (Both words required. Northern Rhodesia was a
separate colony that became Zambia. Rhodesia was the name adopted
by Southern Rhodesia when it first declared independence in 1965, not
a colonial name.) 4 for Don, Marc, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 7. A colony from 1884 to 1981, it changed its name to Belize and
> then became independent in 1981. Give its previous name.

British Honduras. 4 for everyone -- Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Marc,
Bruce, Erland, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Joshua.

> 8. This colony was founded in 1858, absorbed an adjacent, older
> colony in 1866, and became part of the Dominion of Canada
> in 1871.

British Columbia. (Amalgamated with Vancouver Island.) 4 for Don,
Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

> 9. It separated from British India in 1937 and became a Crown
> Colony until its independence in 1948. Give *either* the
> colonial or the present name.

Burma, Myanmar. 4 for Marc.

> 10. This archipelago separated from British Mauritius in 1903 and
> was a distinct Crown Colony until gaining independence in 1976.

Seychelles. 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Erland, and Joshua.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Canadiana Leisure - Toronto's Annual Events

> For each of these events, give the first year it was held, within the
> indicated range. If the name has changed over the years, we mean the
> first year under the original name.

> 1. Beaches International Jazz Festival, within 3 years.

1989 (accepting 1986-92).

> 2. Nuit Blanche, 2 years.

2006 (accepting 2004-08).

> 3. Toronto International Film Festival, 4 years.

1976 (accepting 1972-80). 3 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Taste of the Danforth, 3 years.

1994 (accepting 1991-97).

> 5. Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival, 4 years.

1987 (accepting 1983-91). 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Luminato, 2 years.

2007 (accepting 2005-09). 4 for Dan Blum (the hard way).

> 7. Caribana, 6 years.

1967 (accepting 1961-73).

I think this is the only one where the question did not use the
event's current name. It was renamed in 2011 for trademark reasons
and is now officially the Toronto Caribbean Carnival.

> 8. Pride Parade, 4 years.

1979 (accepting 1975-83). 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Santa Claus Parade, 8 years.

1905 (accepting 1897-1913).

> 10. Doors Open Toronto, 3 years.

2000 (accepting 1997-2003). 3 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Lit Geo Can
Dan Blum 28 28 24 12 92
Don Piven 28 32 32 0 92
Dan Tilque 28 32 28 0 88
Joshua Kreitzer 28 28 20 4 80
Marc Dashevsky 24 20 22 0 66
Bruce Bowler 24 16 12 0 52
Erland Sommarskog 16 4 31 0 51
Peter Smyth 18 12 16 0 46
Jason Kreitzer 4 20 4 0 28
Pete Gayde 16 12 -- -- 28

--
Mark Brader | "It is difficult to get a man to understand something,
Toronto | when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"