Rotating Quiz #268: Drink to the Foam

Dan Blum

Sep 18, 2017, 12:01:06 AM9/18/17
This is Rotating Quiz #268. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
September 24th, 2017 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

This quiz has a theme which affects the answers but not the
scoring. If the answer is the name of a person who is commonly known
by a personal name and surname, the surname must be provided; if any
other part of the name is provided it must be correct or the answer
will not score. (The same rule applies if the answer contains the
names of multiple people). If the answer is not the name of a person
the entire name of the entity must be provided. Each correct answer is
worth 2 points, or 1 if it's almost correct somehow.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most
points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which
the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be
posting order.

1. This American comedian hosted a number of similar television shows
at the height of his career, starting with a local Detroit show in
1953. One of his trademarks was a variety of puppet characters such as
White Fang and Pookie the Lion; the other was getting hit in the face
by a pie.

2. This American reality show contestant is best known for winning the
first season of Survivor, although he has since appeared on other
shows. More recently he served prison time for tax evasion.

3. This alcohol brand, primarily known for bourbon, began in Kentucky
in 1795 although it did not acquire its current name until some time
later. It is currently owned by Suntory Holdings.

4. This botanical term refers to edible objects produced by woody
plants; soft <answer 4> includes things such as drupes and (true)
berries, while hard <answer 4> includes things such as acorns.

5. This longest-serving American Secretary of State was instrumental
in founding the United Nations, the charter for which was drafted by
him and his staff in 1943. He received the 1945 Nobel Peace Prize for
this and other work.

6. This self-proclaimed "King of All Media" was an early "shock jock,"
locally in Washington DC and New York City in the early 1980s and
syndicated nationally from 1986-2005. Since then he has been heard on
SiriusXM and was a judge on America's Got Talent for several seasons.

7. This German city is the capital of and largest city in
Schleswig-Holstein. Because of its location on the Baltic Sea it is a
maritime hub. It hosts the <answer 7> Regatta (or <answer 7> week),
the largest sailing event in the world, every June. It was made the
base for the Prussian/German Baltic fleet in 1865 and was the site of
the sailor's mutiny that sparked the revolution that toppled the
Kaiser.

8. This English man and American woman were an extremely famous pair
of ballroom dancers and dance teachers in the early 20th century; they
are credited with popularizing numerous dances such as the foxtrot and
the female half of the couple was a major fashion icon. Their career
was cut short by the male half's service in World War I and subsequent
death on a training flight. They are probably best known today for the
1939 movie The Story of <answer 8> which starred Fred Astaire and
Ginger Rogers.

9. This fictional American counter-intelligence agent is the
protagonist of 27 novels by Donald Hamilton, beginning with Death of a
Citizen and ending with The Damagers. In the 1960s four movies
ostensibly based on the books were produced, but they were spoofs
starring Dean Martin and had little actual relation to the books.

10. This card game was developed from a version of Whist over a number
of iterations in the early 20th century. In its final form it was
extremely popular in the US in the 1930s and 40s, with one survey
indicating that 44% of households played it at some point. While it
declined in popularity after that, it is still played in the US and
many other countries.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Sep 18, 2017, 2:58:41 AM9/18/17
Dan Blum:
> 1. This American comedian hosted a number of similar television shows
> at the height of his career, starting with a local Detroit show in
> 1953. One of his trademarks was a variety of puppet characters such as
> White Fang and Pookie the Lion; the other was getting hit in the face
> by a pie.

ANCHOR?

> 2. This American reality show contestant is best known for winning the
> first season of Survivor, although he has since appeared on other
> shows. More recently he served prison time for tax evasion.

Richard HATCH.

> 3. This alcohol brand, primarily known for bourbon, began in Kentucky
> in 1795 although it did not acquire its current name until some time
> later. It is currently owned by Suntory Holdings.

*Jack* Daniels.

> 4. This botanical term refers to edible objects produced by woody
> plants; soft <answer 4> includes things such as drupes and (true)
> berries, while hard <answer 4> includes things such as acorns.

BINNACLE?

> 5. This longest-serving American Secretary of State was instrumental
> in founding the United Nations, the charter for which was drafted by
> him and his staff in 1943. He received the 1945 Nobel Peace Prize for
> this and other work.

(After... well, see signature quote.) Cordell HULL.

> 6. This self-proclaimed "King of All Media" was an early "shock jock,"
> locally in Washington DC and New York City in the early 1980s and
> syndicated nationally from 1986-2005. Since then he has been heard on
> SiriusXM and was a judge on America's Got Talent for several seasons.

Howard *Stern*.

> 7. This German city is the capital of and largest city in
> Schleswig-Holstein. Because of its location on the Baltic Sea it is a
> maritime hub. It hosts the <answer 7> Regatta (or <answer 7> week),
> the largest sailing event in the world, every June. It was made the
> base for the Prussian/German Baltic fleet in 1865 and was the site of
> the sailor's mutiny that sparked the revolution that toppled the
> Kaiser.

*Kiel*. (GROAN!)

> 8. This English man and American woman were an extremely famous pair
> of ballroom dancers and dance teachers in the early 20th century; they
> are credited with popularizing numerous dances such as the foxtrot and
> the female half of the couple was a major fashion icon. Their career
> was cut short by the male half's service in World War I and subsequent
> death on a training flight. They are probably best known today for the
> 1939 movie The Story of <answer 8> which starred Fred Astaire and
> Ginger Rogers.

Vernon and Irene CASTLE.

> 9. This fictional American counter-intelligence agent is the
> protagonist of 27 novels by Donald Hamilton, beginning with Death of a
> Citizen and ending with The Damagers. In the 1960s four movies
> ostensibly based on the books were produced, but they were spoofs
> starring Dean Martin and had little actual relation to the books.

Matt *Helm*.

> 10. This card game was developed from a version of Whist over a number
> of iterations in the early 20th century. In its final form it was
> extremely popular in the US in the 1930s and 40s, with one survey
> indicating that 44% of households played it at some point. While it
> declined in popularity after that, it is still played in the US and
> many other countries.

Contract *bridge*. Late 19th and early 20th, actually.

Block capitals are the ones I got after identifying the theme.
"?" indicates random guesses.

--
Mark Brader "Three minutes' thought would suffice to
Toronto find this out; but thought is irksome and

Bruce Bowler

Sep 18, 2017, 10:12:46 AM9/18/17
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 04:01:05 +0000, Dan Blum wrote:

> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner gets
> to create the next RQ.

In the unlikely event I win, I will defer to the next to set the next RQ

> 1. This American comedian hosted a number of similar television shows at
> the height of his career, starting with a local Detroit show in 1953.
> One of his trademarks was a variety of puppet characters such as White
> Fang and Pookie the Lion; the other was getting hit in the face by a
> pie.

Soupy *Sales*

> 2. This American reality show contestant is best known for winning the
> first season of Survivor, although he has since appeared on other shows.
> More recently he served prison time for tax evasion.

Richard *Hatch*

> 3. This alcohol brand, primarily known for bourbon, began in Kentucky in
> 1795 although it did not acquire its current name until some time later.
> It is currently owned by Suntory Holdings.

Jim *Beam*

> 4. This botanical term refers to edible objects produced by woody
> plants; soft <answer 4> includes things such as drupes and (true)
> berries, while hard <answer 4> includes things such as acorns.

*mast* (was going to say fruit, but that doesn't fit the theme, then it
came to me)

> 5. This longest-serving American Secretary of State was instrumental in
> founding the United Nations, the charter for which was drafted by him
> and his staff in 1943. He received the 1945 Nobel Peace Prize for this
> and other work.
>
> 6. This self-proclaimed "King of All Media" was an early "shock jock,"
> locally in Washington DC and New York City in the early 1980s and
> syndicated nationally from 1986-2005. Since then he has been heard on
> SiriusXM and was a judge on America's Got Talent for several seasons.

Howard *Stern*

> 7. This German city is the capital of and largest city in
> Schleswig-Holstein. Because of its location on the Baltic Sea it is a
> maritime hub. It hosts the <answer 7> Regatta (or <answer 7> week), the
> largest sailing event in the world, every June. It was made the base for
> the Prussian/German Baltic fleet in 1865 and was the site of the
> sailor's mutiny that sparked the revolution that toppled the Kaiser.

*Kiel* (guess, based on theme)

> 8. This English man and American woman were an extremely famous pair of
> ballroom dancers and dance teachers in the early 20th century; they are
> credited with popularizing numerous dances such as the foxtrot and the
> female half of the couple was a major fashion icon. Their career was cut
> short by the male half's service in World War I and subsequent death on
> a training flight. They are probably best known today for the 1939 movie
> The Story of <answer 8> which starred Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
>
> 9. This fictional American counter-intelligence agent is the protagonist
> of 27 novels by Donald Hamilton, beginning with Death of a Citizen and
> ending with The Damagers. In the 1960s four movies ostensibly based on
> the books were produced, but they were spoofs starring Dean Martin and
> had little actual relation to the books.

Matt *Helm*

> 10. This card game was developed from a version of Whist over a number
> of iterations in the early 20th century. In its final form it was
> extremely popular in the US in the 1930s and 40s, with one survey
> indicating that 44% of households played it at some point. While it
> declined in popularity after that, it is still played in the US and many
> other countries.

*bridge*

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 18, 2017, 5:09:50 PM9/18/17
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> 3. This alcohol brand, primarily known for bourbon, began in Kentucky
> in 1795 although it did not acquire its current name until some time
> later. It is currently owned by Suntory Holdings.

I say Jack Daniels, although I'm quite sure that's from Tennessee

> 7. This German city is the capital of and largest city in
> Schleswig-Holstein. Because of its location on the Baltic Sea it is a
> maritime hub. It hosts the <answer 7> Regatta (or <answer 7> week),
> the largest sailing event in the world, every June. It was made the
> base for the Prussian/German Baltic fleet in 1865 and was the site of
> the sailor's mutiny that sparked the revolution that toppled the
> Kaiser.

Kiel

> 10. This card game was developed from a version of Whist over a number
> of iterations in the early 20th century. In its final form it was
> extremely popular in the US in the 1930s and 40s, with one survey
> indicating that 44% of households played it at some point. While it
> declined in popularity after that, it is still played in the US and
> many other countries.

Contract bridge (coming straight from this week's game. We won 19-11.)

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 18, 2017, 5:12:21 PM9/18/17
Bruce Bowler (bbo...@bigelow.org) writes:
>> 7. This German city is the capital of and largest city in
>> Schleswig-Holstein. Because of its location on the Baltic Sea it is a
>> maritime hub. It hosts the <answer 7> Regatta (or <answer 7> week), the
>> largest sailing event in the world, every June. It was made the base for
>> the Prussian/German Baltic fleet in 1865 and was the site of the
>> sailor's mutiny that sparked the revolution that toppled the Kaiser.
>
> *Kiel* (guess, based on theme)

Funny. This was the one answer I knew. And gave up all ambitions of finding
a theme. There is exact one meaning I can make of up that letter
combination, and that is the German city. Oh well.

Mark Brader

Sep 18, 2017, 6:34:31 PM9/18/17
Erland Sommarskog:
> Funny. This was the one answer I knew. And gave up all ambitions of finding
> a theme. There is exact one meaning I can make of up that letter
> combination, and that is the German city. Oh well.

The reason I groaned is that the theme doesn't use that letter combination.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
m...@vex.net | --Franklin Roosevelt

Dan Tilque

Sep 19, 2017, 8:08:21 AM9/19/17
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. This American comedian hosted a number of similar television shows
> at the height of his career, starting with a local Detroit show in
> 1953. One of his trademarks was a variety of puppet characters such as
> White Fang and Pookie the Lion; the other was getting hit in the face
> by a pie.
>
> 2. This American reality show contestant is best known for winning the
> first season of Survivor, although he has since appeared on other
> shows. More recently he served prison time for tax evasion.
>
> 3. This alcohol brand, primarily known for bourbon, began in Kentucky
> in 1795 although it did not acquire its current name until some time
> later. It is currently owned by Suntory Holdings.
>
> 4. This botanical term refers to edible objects produced by woody
> plants; soft <answer 4> includes things such as drupes and (true)
> berries, while hard <answer 4> includes things such as acorns.

nut

> 5. This longest-serving American Secretary of State was instrumental
> in founding the United Nations, the charter for which was drafted by
> him and his staff in 1943. He received the 1945 Nobel Peace Prize for
> this and other work.
>
> 6. This self-proclaimed "King of All Media" was an early "shock jock,"
> locally in Washington DC and New York City in the early 1980s and
> syndicated nationally from 1986-2005. Since then he has been heard on
> SiriusXM and was a judge on America's Got Talent for several seasons.

Stern

> 7. This German city is the capital of and largest city in
> Schleswig-Holstein. Because of its location on the Baltic Sea it is a
> maritime hub. It hosts the <answer 7> Regatta (or <answer 7> week),
> the largest sailing event in the world, every June. It was made the
> base for the Prussian/German Baltic fleet in 1865 and was the site of
> the sailor's mutiny that sparked the revolution that toppled the
> Kaiser.

Kiel

> 8. This English man and American woman were an extremely famous pair
> of ballroom dancers and dance teachers in the early 20th century; they
> are credited with popularizing numerous dances such as the foxtrot and
> the female half of the couple was a major fashion icon. Their career
> was cut short by the male half's service in World War I and subsequent
> death on a training flight. They are probably best known today for the
> 1939 movie The Story of <answer 8> which starred Fred Astaire and
> Ginger Rogers.
>
> 9. This fictional American counter-intelligence agent is the
> protagonist of 27 novels by Donald Hamilton, beginning with Death of a
> Citizen and ending with The Damagers. In the 1960s four movies
> ostensibly based on the books were produced, but they were spoofs
> starring Dean Martin and had little actual relation to the books.
>
> 10. This card game was developed from a version of Whist over a number
> of iterations in the early 20th century. In its final form it was
> extremely popular in the US in the 1930s and 40s, with one survey
> indicating that 44% of households played it at some point. While it
> declined in popularity after that, it is still played in the US and
> many other countries.

bridge

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Sep 19, 2017, 8:04:52 PM9/19/17
soupy sales

> 2. This American reality show contestant is best known for winning the
> first season of Survivor, although he has since appeared on other
> shows. More recently he served prison time for tax evasion.

richard hatch (who played apollo in the original battlestar galactica?)

> 3. This alcohol brand, primarily known for bourbon, began in Kentucky
> in 1795 although it did not acquire its current name until some time
> later. It is currently owned by Suntory Holdings.

jim beam

> 4. This botanical term refers to edible objects produced by woody
> plants; soft <answer 4> includes things such as drupes and (true)
> berries, while hard <answer 4> includes things such as acorns.

mast

> 5. This longest-serving American Secretary of State was instrumental
> in founding the United Nations, the charter for which was drafted by
> him and his staff in 1943. He received the 1945 Nobel Peace Prize for
> this and other work.

hull

> 6. This self-proclaimed "King of All Media" was an early "shock jock,"
> locally in Washington DC and New York City in the early 1980s and
> syndicated nationally from 1986-2005. Since then he has been heard on
> SiriusXM and was a judge on America's Got Talent for several seasons.

howard stern

> 7. This German city is the capital of and largest city in
> Schleswig-Holstein. Because of its location on the Baltic Sea it is a
> maritime hub. It hosts the <answer 7> Regatta (or <answer 7> week),
> the largest sailing event in the world, every June. It was made the
> base for the Prussian/German Baltic fleet in 1865 and was the site of
> the sailor's mutiny that sparked the revolution that toppled the
> Kaiser.

kiel

> 8. This English man and American woman were an extremely famous pair
> of ballroom dancers and dance teachers in the early 20th century; they
> are credited with popularizing numerous dances such as the foxtrot and
> the female half of the couple was a major fashion icon. Their career
> was cut short by the male half's service in World War I and subsequent
> death on a training flight. They are probably best known today for the
> 1939 movie The Story of <answer 8> which starred Fred Astaire and
> Ginger Rogers.

vernon and irene castle

> 9. This fictional American counter-intelligence agent is the
> protagonist of 27 novels by Donald Hamilton, beginning with Death of a
> Citizen and ending with The Damagers. In the 1960s four movies
> ostensibly based on the books were produced, but they were spoofs
> starring Dean Martin and had little actual relation to the books.

matt helm

> 10. This card game was developed from a version of Whist over a number
> of iterations in the early 20th century. In its final form it was
> extremely popular in the US in the 1930s and 40s, with one survey
> indicating that 44% of households played it at some point. While it
> declined in popularity after that, it is still played in the US and
> many other countries.

bridge

swp - who will not be available to set the next round unfortunately

Dan Blum

Sep 24, 2017, 11:03:30 PM9/24/17
Rotating Quiz #268 is over and Stephen Perry is the winner. However,
he said he cannot run the next RQ. Bruce Bowler took second place but
said he would defer, so Mark Brader in third place gets to do it.

The theme was words that are or sound like parts of a ship. The quiz
title is from "Anchors Aweigh," which probably didn't help and wasn't
really intended to.

> 1. This American comedian hosted a number of similar television shows
> at the height of his career, starting with a local Detroit show in
> 1953. One of his trademarks was a variety of puppet characters such as
> White Fang and Pookie the Lion; the other was getting hit in the face
> by a pie.

Soupy Sales

> 2. This American reality show contestant is best known for winning the
> first season of Survivor, although he has since appeared on other
> shows. More recently he served prison time for tax evasion.

Richard Hatch

> 3. This alcohol brand, primarily known for bourbon, began in Kentucky
> in 1795 although it did not acquire its current name until some time
> later. It is currently owned by Suntory Holdings.

Jim Beam

> 4. This botanical term refers to edible objects produced by woody
> plants; soft <answer 4> includes things such as drupes and (true)
> berries, while hard <answer 4> includes things such as acorns.

mast

> 5. This longest-serving American Secretary of State was instrumental
> in founding the United Nations, the charter for which was drafted by
> him and his staff in 1943. He received the 1945 Nobel Peace Prize for
> this and other work.

Cordell Hull

> 6. This self-proclaimed "King of All Media" was an early "shock jock,"
> locally in Washington DC and New York City in the early 1980s and
> syndicated nationally from 1986-2005. Since then he has been heard on
> SiriusXM and was a judge on America's Got Talent for several seasons.

Howard Stern

> 7. This German city is the capital of and largest city in
> Schleswig-Holstein. Because of its location on the Baltic Sea it is a
> maritime hub. It hosts the <answer 7> Regatta (or <answer 7> week),
> the largest sailing event in the world, every June. It was made the
> base for the Prussian/German Baltic fleet in 1865 and was the site of
> the sailor's mutiny that sparked the revolution that toppled the
> Kaiser.

Kiel

No, it's not spelled the same as the ship part, but neither is
"Sales." And I had enough trouble with the theme without having to
match spelling; you'd think there'd be a good way to clue "anchor"
(for example), but if there is I didn't find it. (I could have
abandoned the theme, I suppose.)

> 8. This English man and American woman were an extremely famous pair
> of ballroom dancers and dance teachers in the early 20th century; they
> are credited with popularizing numerous dances such as the foxtrot and
> the female half of the couple was a major fashion icon. Their career
> was cut short by the male half's service in World War I and subsequent
> death on a training flight. They are probably best known today for the
> 1939 movie The Story of <answer 8> which starred Fred Astaire and
> Ginger Rogers.

Vernon and Irene Castle

> 9. This fictional American counter-intelligence agent is the
> protagonist of 27 novels by Donald Hamilton, beginning with Death of a
> Citizen and ending with The Damagers. In the 1960s four movies
> ostensibly based on the books were produced, but they were spoofs
> starring Dean Martin and had little actual relation to the books.

Matt Helm

> 10. This card game was developed from a version of Whist over a number
> of iterations in the early 20th century. In its final form it was
> extremely popular in the US in the 1930s and 40s, with one survey
> indicating that 44% of households played it at some point. While it
> declined in popularity after that, it is still played in the US and
> many other countries.

(Contract) Bridge

Scores:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total