Calvin's Quiz #436

Calvin

Apr 18, 2016, 9:09:42 PM4/18/16

1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?
2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?
3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the official distance of a location from that city?
4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign slogan "vote for AuH20"?
5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?
6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which humanitarian organization?
7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European country to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?
8 How many dice are used in a standard game of Yahtzee?
9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any commitment to action?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Apr 18, 2016, 11:18:38 PM4/18/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?

Burton-upon-Trent

> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?

Egypt

> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the official distance of a location from that city?

city hall

> 4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign slogan "vote for AuH20"?

Barry Goldwater

> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?

rock paper scissors

> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which humanitarian organization?

Red Cross

> 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European country to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?

Belarus ??

5

> 9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature?

Joseph Conrad

> 10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any commitment to action?

white

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 19, 2016, 12:58:53 AM4/19/16
"Calvin":
> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?

Nottingham, I suppose. (I was born there.)

> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?

Egypt.

> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the
> official distance of a location from that city?

City Hall.

> 4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the
> campaign slogan "vote for AuH20"?

Goldwater.

> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?

Rock-paper-scissors.

> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which
> humanitarian organization?

Red Cross.

> 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European
> country to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?

Belarus?

> 8 How many dice are used in a standard game of Yahtzee?

5.

> 9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the
> Nobel Prize for Literature?

Kipling?

> 10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government
> paper listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but
> without any commitment to action?

Green.
--
Mark Brader | There is no rule that relates [these behaviors]...
Toronto | In general, they do what you want, unless you want

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 19, 2016, 7:06:04 AM4/19/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?

Stoke

> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?

Egypt

> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the official
> distance of a location from that city?

Town hall

> 4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign
> slogan "vote for AuH20"?

Barry Goldwater

> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?

Sax, stone bag

> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which
> humanitarian organization?

Salvation army

> 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European
> country to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?

Bulgaria

> 8 How many dice are used in a standard game of Yahtzee?

Five

> 10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper
> listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any
> commitment to action?

White

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 19, 2016, 9:33:22 AM4/19/16
In article <0536cbf3-9b85-4488...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?
> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?
Egypt

> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the official distance of a location from that city?
city hall

> 4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign slogan "vote for AuH20"?
Barry Goldwater

> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?
rock, paper, scissors

> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which humanitarian organization?
Red Cross

> 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European country to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?
Belarus

4

> 9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
>
> 10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any commitment to action?
white

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn Lundin

Apr 19, 2016, 10:17:06 AM4/19/16
On 2016-04-19 03:09, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?
York

> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?
Egypt

> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the
>official distance of a location from that city?
The central train station

> 4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign
>slogan "vote for AuH20"?
Nixon

> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic
>game?
stone/bag/scissors

> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which
>humanitarian organization?
red cross

> 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European
>country to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?
Belarus

> 8 How many dice are used in a standard game of Yahtzee?
5

> 9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the Nobel
> Prize for Literature?
lewis carol

> 10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper
>listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any
>commitment to action?
blue

--
Björn

ArenEss

Apr 19, 2016, 11:47:12 AM4/19/16
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 18:09:41 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?
Nottingham

>2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?
Egypt

>3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the official distance of a location from that city?
No clue. As for Chicago, it's an intersection of State and Madison
Streets. No specific building there that would determine. But since
Chicago is on a grid system, it's the 0,0 point on an X,Y axis.

>4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign slogan "vote for AuH20"?
Barry Goldwater (AU=Gold, H2O=water)

>5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?
Rock, paper, scissors?

>6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which humanitarian organization?
The Red Cross?

>7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European country to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?
Bulgaria?

>8 How many dice are used in a standard game of Yahtzee?
5

>9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
Rudyard Kipling?

>10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any commitment to action?
Green?

>cheers,
>calvin

Peter Smyth

Apr 19, 2016, 1:28:44 PM4/19/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?
Nottingham
> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?
Egypt
> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the official
> distance of a location from that city?
Depends on the city doesn't it? I guess you are looking for the city
hall?
> 4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign
> slogan "vote for AuH20"?
Goldwater
> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?
Rock Paper Scissors
> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which humanitarian
> organization?
Red Cross
> 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European country
> to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?
Bulgaria
> 8 How many dice are used in a standard game of Yahtzee?
Five
> 9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the Nobel Prize
> for Literature?
Rudyard Kipling
> 10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper
> listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any
> commitment to action?
Green

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen

Apr 19, 2016, 2:03:49 PM4/19/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?

Nottingham

> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?

Egypt, I assume

> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the official
> distance of a location from that city?

City hall?

> 4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign
> slogan "vote for AuH20"?

Barry Goldwater

> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?

Rock, paper, scissors

> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which humanitarian
> organization?

Red cross

6

> 9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the Nobel Prize
> for Literature?

Kipling?

> 10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper listing
> policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any commitment
> to action?

Green

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 19, 2016, 4:06:25 PM4/19/16
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?
>
> Sax, stone bag

OK, so I did this quiz in a hurry while a colleague was trying to
find an avilable meeting room. "Sax" here does not refer to the
musical instrument, but an occasional regression into Swedish where
"sax" is the word for "scissors". In the Swedish version of the game
we prefer to use a small bag rather than paper.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Apr 19, 2016, 4:08:03 PM4/19/16
On 2016-04-19, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?

Nottingham (it's not, but it's close)

> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?

Egypt

> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the official distance of a location from that city?

City hall

> 4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign slogan "vote for AuH20"?

Barry Goldwater

> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?

Rock, paper, scissors

> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which humanitarian organization?

Red Cross

> 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European country to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?

Bulgaria

> 8 How many dice are used in a standard game of Yahtzee?

5

> 9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature?

Kipling

> 10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any commitment to action?

White

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Mark Brader

Apr 19, 2016, 4:13:54 PM4/19/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> > Sax, stone bag

> OK, so I did this quiz in a hurry while a colleague was trying to
> find an avilable meeting room. "Sax" here does not refer to the
> musical instrument, but an occasional regression into Swedish where
> "sax" is the word for "scissors". In the Swedish version of the game
> we prefer to use a small bag rather than paper.

And I guess you also meant "stone, bag" rather than imagining a stone bag!
--
Mark Brader | "The occasional accidents had been much overemphasized,
Toronto | and later investigations ... revealed that nearly 90%

Pete

Apr 22, 2016, 9:30:20 PM4/22/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?

Stoke

> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?

Egypt

> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the
> official distance of a location from that city?

City Hall

> 4 Which 1964 US
> Presidential election candidate used the campaign slogan "vote for
> AuH20"?

Barry Goldwater

> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which
> classic game?

Rock, paper, scissors

> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of
> which humanitarian organization?

Red Cross

> 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only
> male player from which European country to have won an ATP singles
> tennis tournament?

Belarus

> 8 How many dice are used in a standard game of Yahtzee?

5

> 9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the
> Nobel Prize for Literature?

Shaw

> 10 What colour is traditionally
> assigned to a government paper listing policy proposals for debate and
> discussion but without any commitment to action?

White

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Apr 27, 2016, 1:57:16 AM4/27/16
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 11:09:42 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Trent Bridge cricket ground is located in which English city?

Nottingham

> 2 Lake Nasser is predominantly located in which African country?

Egypt

> 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure the official distance of a location from that city?

General Post Office
No one got this!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilometre_zero

> 4 Which 1964 US Presidential election candidate used the campaign slogan "vote for AuH20"?

Barry Goldwater

> 5 "Bunny, carrot, gun" is an alternate version of which classic game?

Scissors, paper rock [or Swedish alternatives]

> 6 In 1881 Clara Barton founded the American arm of which humanitarian organization?

Red Cross

> 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the only male player from which European country to have won an ATP singles tennis tournament?

Bulgaria

> 8 How many dice are used in a standard game of Yahtzee?

5

> 9 In 1907, who became the first British writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature?

Rudyard Kipling

> 10 What colour is traditionally assigned to a government paper listing policy proposals for debate and discussion but without any commitment to action?

Green [paper]

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 436
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 67 Peter Smyth
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 67 Aren Ess
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 59 Gareth Owen
1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 61 Mark Brader
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 8 63 Chris Johnson
0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 6 53 Erland S
0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 5 45 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 5 47 Pete Gayde
0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 5 47 Dan Tilque
0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 4 38 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 10 0 9 10 10 6 8 5 4 67 67%

Congratulations Peter and Aren.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 27, 2016, 2:10:53 AM4/27/16
"Calvin":
> > 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure
> > the official distance of a location from that city?
>
> General Post Office
> No one got this!

No, I gave the correct answer, city hall. So did at least one other entrant.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilometre_zero

And what do kilometers have to do with it?
--
Mark Brader "When a supposedly indivisible transaction
Toronto fails to complete properly, this is known

Calvin

Apr 27, 2016, 5:55:52 PM4/27/16
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 4:10:53 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 3 Traditionally, which city landmark is used to measure
> > > the official distance of a location from that city?
> >
> > General Post Office
> > No one got this!
>
> No, I gave the correct answer, city hall.

It is customary to cite some evidence in support of such a claim.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 27, 2016, 6:31:03 PM4/27/16
"Calvin":
> It is customary to cite some evidence in support of such a claim.

I did: at least one other entrant gave that answer.

Here's the first hit on a search for "mileage" and "to city hall":

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-361663.html

--
Mark Brader | "...'consulted' the public, using 'consulted' with
Toronto | the special meaning of 'told them what I think'."

Peter Smyth

Apr 27, 2016, 6:45:13 PM4/27/16
The Wikipedia article you provided lists 37 countries and only 3 of
them mention using a post office to measure distances.

As you did not specify a particular country, there are dozens of
answers that could be considered correct.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 28, 2016, 2:44:53 AM4/28/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> "Calvin":
>> It is customary to cite some evidence in support of such a claim.
>
> I did: at least one other entrant gave that answer.

Quite a few, as I recall, including your truly. (Well, I said "town hall".)
Not that I claim any knowledge, but let's apply some logic: I would
assume that having a point zero is a fairly old thing - quite a bit older
than having a central post office. Town halls, on the other hand, have
also been around for a long time.

Calvin

Apr 28, 2016, 8:57:59 PM4/28/16
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:45:13 AM UTC+10, Peter Smyth wrote:
> Calvin wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 4:10:53 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> > > "Calvin":

> > > No, I gave the correct answer, city hall.
> >
> > It is customary to cite some evidence in support of such a claim.
> >
> The Wikipedia article you provided lists 37 countries and only 3 of
> them mention using a post office to measure distances.

Well the question was originally written for an Australian audience but I accept that internationally things can be different. So I'm accepting town hall (or similar).

Revised scores, if there are no further protests:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 436
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 75 Peter Smyth
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 67 Aren Ess
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 67 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 9 69 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 71 Chris Johnson
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 7 61 Erland S
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 53 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 6 55 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 6 55 Dan Tilque
0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 4 38 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 10 8 9 10 10 6 8 5 4 75 75%

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Apr 28, 2016, 8:58:26 PM4/28/16
Not where I come from :-)

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 28, 2016, 10:18:56 PM4/28/16
"Calvin":
> ...So I'm accepting town hall (or similar).

Thanks. And congratulations to Peter Smyth!
--
Mark Brader "All this government stuff, in other words,
Toronto is not reading matter, but prefabricated