QFTCIUA19 Current Events 9-10

Mark Brader

Jul 29, 2019, 11:53:23 PM7/29/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
other rounds. For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9 (2019-07-22), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Which prominent African-American historian and civil rights
activist was found dead in the trunk of her car in Baton Rouge,
Louisiana, on July 15?

2. According to reports, which British actress is replacing Daniel
Craig as Agent 007?

3. This anti-Apartheid musician-activist nicknamed "the White Zulu"
died this week. Name him.

4. Which country won the World Cup of Cricket for the first time
in 40 years an upsetting New Zealand?

5. William Nylander will be wearing a new number for the Maple
Leafs next season. But he's made an offer to fans who bought
his old merch to update the number out of his own pocket.
Give either his previous number or his new number.

6. Thanks to Facebook, more than 1,000,000 people have RSVPed to
do *what* at 3 am PST on September 20?

7. Warren Appleby, a Toronto special-effects technician, died from
an explosion while testing an effect for a superhero show that's
filmed in Toronto. Name that show.

8. Name the American rapper who who's being held in jail in Sweden
pending an assault investigation and who President Trump has
vowed to free on behalf of his friend Kanye West.

9. President Trump named the son of a late US Supreme Court judge
to be his new Labor Secretary. Name that secretary.

10. After an 18-month investigation, York Regional Police laid
gambling-related loan-sharking charges against 9 people with
alleged ties to organized crime -- specifically, to which
Ontario mafia family or to which Calabrese Italian crime group?
Name either.

* Game 10 (2019-07-29), Round 1 - Current Events

1. The late Roy Halladay was posthumously inducted into the Baseball
Hall of Fame. Which team was he inducted as a member of?

2. Marvel announced this week that Canadian Simu Liu will play
their first Asian superhero. Liu currently stars in which
popular Canadian TV show?

3. John Tory underwent surgery this week to fix what?

4. In the UK, Boris Johnson won the Conservative leadership and
has joined the ranks of bad-haired world leaders. Unlike the US,
there is no rule against requiring birth in Britain. Where was
he born? Be more specific than just the country.

5. The food corporation Restaurant Brands International announced
plans to open 1,500 restaurants of which of its franchises
in China?

6. Name either of the two teenagers from British Columbia who are
subject to a nation-wide manhunt.

7. Among the 11 people arrested by the RCMP in an Ontario-wide
drug bust this week were two airline employees who worked out
of Toronto Pearson International Airport. *Which airline* did
they work for?

8. After winning Saturday's penultimate stage of the 2019 Tour
de France, Egan Bernal had effectively won the whole race,
with only a processional final stage to go. He's the first
person from *what country* to win it?

9. The death this week of a 54-year-old former provincial health
minister is subject to a sudden-death investigation by the
Toronto police and fire services. Name that late politico.

10. Toronto city workers digging along Bloor St. discovered a
granite boulder more than 1,000,000,000 years old. The Annex
Business Improvement Area (BIA) is planning to do *what* with it?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Remember that computers are very,
m...@vex.net very fast..." -- Steve Summit

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 30, 2019, 6:04:56 AM7/30/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9 (2019-07-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 4. Which country won the World Cup of Cricket for the first time
> in 40 years an upsetting New Zealand?

Australia?

> 5. William Nylander will be wearing a new number for the Maple
> Leafs next season. But he's made an offer to fans who bought
> his old merch to update the number out of his own pocket.
> Give either his previous number or his new number.

17

> 6. Thanks to Facebook, more than 1,000,000 people have RSVPed to
> do *what* at 3 am PST on September 20?

Storm an area in New Mexico where they think the US military are holding
aliens in captivity.

> 8. Name the American rapper who who's being held in jail in Sweden
> pending an assault investigation and who President Trump has
> vowed to free on behalf of his friend Kanye West.

A$AP Rocky.

The trial ends on Friday, and I would expect that the court releases
him soon after than, as the sentence is likely to be in par with the
time he has already spent in captivity.

> * Game 10 (2019-07-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 4. In the UK, Boris Johnson won the Conservative leadership and
> has joined the ranks of bad-haired world leaders. Unlike the US,
> there is no rule against requiring birth in Britain. Where was
> he born? Be more specific than just the country.

New York City, USA

> 8. After winning Saturday's penultimate stage of the 2019 Tour
> de France, Egan Bernal had effectively won the whole race,
> with only a processional final stage to go. He's the first
> person from *what country* to win it?

Colombia

> 10. Toronto city workers digging along Bloor St. discovered a
> granite boulder more than 1,000,000,000 years old. The Annex
> Business Improvement Area (BIA) is planning to do *what* with it?

Put it up as a monument.

Dan Blum

Jul 30, 2019, 7:44:01 AM7/30/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9 (2019-07-22), Round 1 - Current Events

> 6. Thanks to Facebook, more than 1,000,000 people have RSVPed to
> do *what* at 3 am PST on September 20?

storm Area 51

> 8. Name the American rapper who who's being held in jail in Sweden
> pending an assault investigation and who President Trump has
> vowed to free on behalf of his friend Kanye West.

A$AP Rocky

> * Game 10 (2019-07-29), Round 1 - Current Events

> 4. In the UK, Boris Johnson won the Conservative leadership and
> has joined the ranks of bad-haired world leaders. Unlike the US,
> there is no rule against requiring birth in Britain. Where was
> he born? Be more specific than just the country.

The question is misnegated.

> 8. After winning Saturday's penultimate stage of the 2019 Tour
> de France, Egan Bernal had effectively won the whole race,
> with only a processional final stage to go. He's the first
> person from *what country* to win it?

Switzerland; Austria

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 30, 2019, 8:45:15 AM7/30/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:1qOdnV--ZKGzIqLAnZ2dnUU7-
bfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9 (2019-07-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 6. Thanks to Facebook, more than 1,000,000 people have RSVPed to
> do *what* at 3 am PST on September 20?

invade Area 51

> 8. Name the American rapper who who's being held in jail in Sweden
> pending an assault investigation and who President Trump has
> vowed to free on behalf of his friend Kanye West.

A$AP Rocky

> 9. President Trump named the son of a late US Supreme Court judge
> to be his new Labor Secretary. Name that secretary.

Scalia

> * Game 10 (2019-07-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 4. In the UK, Boris Johnson won the Conservative leadership and
> has joined the ranks of bad-haired world leaders. Unlike the US,
> there is no rule against requiring birth in Britain. Where was
> he born? Be more specific than just the country.

New York

> 8. After winning Saturday's penultimate stage of the 2019 Tour
> de France, Egan Bernal had effectively won the whole race,
> with only a processional final stage to go. He's the first
> person from *what country* to win it?

Colombia

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Bruce Bowler

Jul 30, 2019, 10:19:50 AM7/30/19
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 22:53:18 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of current-events
> questions is independent of the concurrent posting of other rounds. For
> further information see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions
> from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2019-07-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 6. Thanks to Facebook, more than 1,000,000 people have RSVPed to
> do *what* at 3 am PST on September 20?

Storm "Area 51"

> 9. President Trump named the son of a late US Supreme Court judge
> to be his new Labor Secretary. Name that secretary.

Gene Scalia

> * Game 10 (2019-07-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 4. In the UK, Boris Johnson won the Conservative leadership and
> has joined the ranks of bad-haired world leaders. Unlike the US,
> there is no rule against requiring birth in Britain. Where was he
> born? Be more specific than just the country.

New York

> 8. After winning Saturday's penultimate stage of the 2019 Tour
> de France, Egan Bernal had effectively won the whole race,
> with only a processional final stage to go. He's the first person
> from *what country* to win it?

Columbia

> 10. Toronto city workers digging along Bloor St. discovered a
> granite boulder more than 1,000,000,000 years old. The Annex
> Business Improvement Area (BIA) is planning to do *what* with it?

Turn it into gravel (which I sincerely hope is wrong)

Dan Tilque

Jul 30, 2019, 10:56:38 AM7/30/19
On 7/29/19 8:53 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2019-07-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which prominent African-American historian and civil rights
> activist was found dead in the trunk of her car in Baton Rouge,
> Louisiana, on July 15?
>
> 2. According to reports, which British actress is replacing Daniel
> Craig as Agent 007?
>
> 3. This anti-Apartheid musician-activist nicknamed "the White Zulu"
> died this week. Name him.
>
> 4. Which country won the World Cup of Cricket for the first time
> in 40 years an upsetting New Zealand?
>
> 5. William Nylander will be wearing a new number for the Maple
> Leafs next season. But he's made an offer to fans who bought
> his old merch to update the number out of his own pocket.
> Give either his previous number or his new number.
>
> 6. Thanks to Facebook, more than 1,000,000 people have RSVPed to
> do *what* at 3 am PST on September 20?

invade area-51

> 7. Warren Appleby, a Toronto special-effects technician, died from
> an explosion while testing an effect for a superhero show that's
> filmed in Toronto. Name that show.
>
> 8. Name the American rapper who who's being held in jail in Sweden
> pending an assault investigation and who President Trump has
> vowed to free on behalf of his friend Kanye West.

A$AP Rocky
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Jul 30, 2019, 8:31:53 PM7/30/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:1qOdnV--ZKGzIqLAnZ2dnUU7-
bfN...@giganews.com:

England

> 5. William Nylander will be wearing a new number for the Maple
> Leafs next season. But he's made an offer to fans who bought
> his old merch to update the number out of his own pocket.
> Give either his previous number or his new number.

24; 14

> 6. Thanks to Facebook, more than 1,000,000 people have RSVPed to
> do *what* at 3 am PST on September 20?

Breaking into Area 51

> 7. Warren Appleby, a Toronto special-effects technician, died from
> an explosion while testing an effect for a superhero show that's
> filmed in Toronto. Name that show.

Stranger Things

> 8. Name the American rapper who who's being held in jail in Sweden
> pending an assault investigation and who President Trump has
> vowed to free on behalf of his friend Kanye West.

A$AP Rocky

> 9. President Trump named the son of a late US Supreme Court judge
> to be his new Labor Secretary. Name that secretary.

Scalia

> 10. After an 18-month investigation, York Regional Police laid
> gambling-related loan-sharking charges against 9 people with
> alleged ties to organized crime -- specifically, to which
> Ontario mafia family or to which Calabrese Italian crime group?
> Name either.
>

> * Game 10 (2019-07-29), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The late Roy Halladay was posthumously inducted into the Baseball
> Hall of Fame. Which team was he inducted as a member of?

Philadelphia Phillies

> 2. Marvel announced this week that Canadian Simu Liu will play
> their first Asian superhero. Liu currently stars in which
> popular Canadian TV show?
>
> 3. John Tory underwent surgery this week to fix what?
>
> 4. In the UK, Boris Johnson won the Conservative leadership and
> has joined the ranks of bad-haired world leaders. Unlike the US,
> there is no rule against requiring birth in Britain. Where was
> he born? Be more specific than just the country.

Moscow, Russia

> 5. The food corporation Restaurant Brands International announced
> plans to open 1,500 restaurants of which of its franchises
> in China?

Burger King; McDonalds

> 6. Name either of the two teenagers from British Columbia who are
> subject to a nation-wide manhunt.
>
> 7. Among the 11 people arrested by the RCMP in an Ontario-wide
> drug bust this week were two airline employees who worked out
> of Toronto Pearson International Airport. *Which airline* did
> they work for?

American Airlines; Air India

> 8. After winning Saturday's penultimate stage of the 2019 Tour
> de France, Egan Bernal had effectively won the whole race,
> with only a processional final stage to go. He's the first
> person from *what country* to win it?

Colombia

> 9. The death this week of a 54-year-old former provincial health
> minister is subject to a sudden-death investigation by the
> Toronto police and fire services. Name that late politico.
>
> 10. Toronto city workers digging along Bloor St. discovered a
> granite boulder more than 1,000,000,000 years old. The Annex
> Business Improvement Area (BIA) is planning to do *what* with it?

Use it as part of the foundation of a new building

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Aug 1, 2019, 11:23:05 PM8/1/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the
> dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still
> expected to give the answers that were correct on that date...
> For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9 (2019-07-22), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Which prominent African-American historian and civil rights
> activist was found dead in the trunk of her car in Baton Rouge,
> Louisiana, on July 15?

Sadie Roberts-Joseph.

> 2. According to reports, which British actress is replacing Daniel
> Craig as Agent 007?

LeShauna Lynch.

> 3. This anti-Apartheid musician-activist nicknamed "the White Zulu"
> died this week. Name him.

Johnny Clegg.

> 4. Which country won the World Cup of Cricket for the first time
> in 40 years[,] an upsetting New Zealand?

England. 4 for Pete.

Sorry about the extra "an".

> 5. William Nylander will be wearing a new number for the Maple
> Leafs next season. But he's made an offer to fans who bought
> his old merch to update the number out of his own pocket.
> Give either his previous number or his new number.

Was #29, now #88.

> 6. Thanks to Facebook, more than 1,000,000 people have RSVPed to
> do *what* at 3 am PST on September 20?

Storm "Area 51". 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. Warren Appleby, a Toronto special-effects technician, died from
> an explosion while testing an effect for a superhero show that's
> filmed in Toronto. Name that show.

"Titans".

> 8. Name the American rapper who who's being held in jail in Sweden
> pending an assault investigation and who President Trump has
> vowed to free on behalf of his friend Kanye West.

ASAP (or A$AP) Rocky. (Both words required.) 4 for Erland, Dan Blum,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. President Trump named the son of a late US Supreme Court judge
> to be his new Labor Secretary. Name that secretary.

Eugene Scalia, son of Antonin Scalia. The surname was sufficient.
4 for Joshua, Bruce, and Pete.

> 10. After an 18-month investigation, York Regional Police laid
> gambling-related loan-sharking charges against 9 people with
> alleged ties to organized crime -- specifically, to which
> Ontario mafia family or to which Calabrese Italian crime group?
> Name either.

Figliomeni, 'Ndrangheta.

They also seized $35,000,000 worth of assets, including 5 Ferraris.

> * Game 10 (2019-07-29), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. The late Roy Halladay was posthumously inducted into the Baseball
> Hall of Fame. Which team was he inducted as a member of?

None.

He played 12 years for Toronto, then finished his career with
4 years in Philadelphia. His widow and the Hall of Fame agreed
that the right choice was to feature neither team.

> 2. Marvel announced this week that Canadian Simu Liu will play
> their first Asian superhero. Liu currently stars in which
> popular Canadian TV show?

"Kim's Convenience".

> 3. John Tory underwent surgery this week to fix what?

Achilles tendon.

> 4. In the UK, Boris Johnson won the Conservative leadership and
> has joined the ranks of bad-haired world leaders. Unlike the US,
> there is no rule against requiring birth in Britain. Where was
> he born? Be more specific than just the country.

New York. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Bruce.

Sorry about the extra "against" -- and also for not correcting the
implication that the US requires its leaders to be born in the country.

> 5. The food corporation Restaurant Brands International announced
> plans to open 1,500 restaurants of which of its franchises
> in China?

Popeye's Chicken.

> 6. Name either of the two teenagers from British Columbia who are
> subject to a nation-wide manhunt.

Kam McLeod, Bryer Schemgelsky.

> 7. Among the 11 people arrested by the RCMP in an Ontario-wide
> drug bust this week were two airline employees who worked out
> of Toronto Pearson International Airport. *Which airline* did
> they work for?

Sunwing.

> 8. After winning Saturday's penultimate stage of the 2019 Tour
> de France, Egan Bernal had effectively won the whole race,
> with only a processional final stage to go. He's the first
> person from *what country* to win it?

Colombia. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Bruce, and Pete.

> 9. The death this week of a 54-year-old former provincial health
> minister is subject to a sudden-death investigation by the
> Toronto police and fire services. Name that late politico.

David Caplan.

> 10. Toronto city workers digging along Bloor St. discovered a
> granite boulder more than 1,000,000,000 years old. The Annex
> Business Improvement Area (BIA) is planning to do *what* with it?

Incorporate it into a new parkette at Howland and Bloor. I scored
"put it up as a monument" as almost correct. So, 3 for Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST EIGHT
Pete Gayde -- -- 16 12 22 20 24 20 16 4 134
Dan Blum 8 20 16 12 7 15 24 12 8 0 115
Joshua Kreitzer 8 16 8 8 12 16 24 16 12 8 112
Erland Sommarskog 8 24 4 16 4 8 16 8 8 11 99
Dan Tilque 0 4 8 8 8 20 24 12 8 0 92
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 7 4 19 -- -- 8 8 58

--
Mark Brader | "Any philosophy that can be put 'in a nutshell'
Toronto | belongs there."

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 2, 2019, 5:07:59 PM8/2/19
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> 8. Name the American rapper who who's being held in jail in Sweden
>> pending an assault investigation and who President Trump has
>> vowed to free on behalf of his friend Kanye West.
>
> A$AP Rocky.
>
> The trial ends on Friday, and I would expect that the court releases
> him soon after than, as the sentence is likely to be in par with the
> time he has already spent in captivity.

Indeed he was released today.

The verdict itself will come in about two weeks. From what I have read about
it, it seems unlikely that he will be acquitted of all charges. Rather the
sentence will be something like one month in jail, which he has already
served.

The attorney called for six months in jail - that seems excessive to me.