QFTCICR19 Current Events 3-4

Mark Brader

Feb 26, 2019, 1:24:00 AM2/26/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
other rounds. For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3 (2019-02-11), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Bruce McArthur has pleaded guilty to eight murders. When
arrested, he had another victim tied up in his bedroom, still
alive. Only the first name of that victim has been released --
what was it?

2. An eastern Newfoundland town has been gripped by the mystery
of billboards declaring in large letters that K.R. loves *who*?
Give her first name.

3. US president Trump has announced that he will meet with North
Korean leader Kim Jong Un on February 27 in *what country*?

4. The House of Commons Heritage Committee approved a measure
Thursday to make the last day of *what month* National Truth
and Reconciliation Day?

5. What day last week was the NBA deadline for player trades?

6. This man was an all-star outfielder for 12 seasons, ranked 10th
in career home runs, and is in the Hall of Fame. He was also
the first black manager in major-league baseball, and the final
manager of the Montreal Expos. He died on Thursday. Who was he?

7. The Chinese lunar New Year was last week -- introducing the
year of what animal in the Chinese zodiac?

8. The Conservative provincial government has set a lifetime limit
for autism treatments for children. Within $9,000, what is it?

9. Two CBC series, "Anne with an E" and "Schitt's Creek", were
the leading nominees for which awards?

10. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is facing calls for an invest-
igation into allegations that senior PMO officials pressed
the then Justice Minister not to seek criminal charges against
*which high-profile Quebec engineering company*?

* Game 4 (2019-02-25), Round 1 - Current Events

1. The controversy described in question 10 above has now led to
the resignation of Trudeau's principal secretary, who had held
the job since the election. Which long-time friend of Trudeau
was that?

2. A pioneering transgender soul singer died this week at age 78.
Who was she?

3. What famous, iconic fashion designer died this week at age 85?

4. Which Mars rover was officially taken out of service recently,
having exceeded its planned operational lifetime by more than
50 times?

5. That country was slated to become the fourth to land and operate
a device on the Moon? The dishwasher-sized rover was paid for
mostly by private funding, and was launched recently from Cape
Canaveral by SpaceX.

6. Formerly acting director of the FBI, he is now on tour promoting
his new book "The Threat". Who is he?

7. After Jussie Smollett was charged with filing a false police
report, his character was deleted from what TV series?

8. Which billionaire businessman hosted a Venezuelan Aid Live
concert on Friday, just across the Venezuelan border in Cúcuta,
Colombia?

9. Who was finally chosen to host yesterday's Academy Awards show?

10. Which Democratic Representative from New York drew the ire
of New Yorkers when her "Green New Deal" was cited as one of
the reasons for Amazon canceling its plans for a secondary
headquarters in New York?

After completing both rounds, please decode the rot13: Va gur ynfg
dhrfgvba bs rnpu ebhaq, obgu gur pbzcnal anzr naq gur Qrzbpeng'f
fheanzr ner gjb-cneg anzrf, yvxr Rkkba-Zbovy. Va rnpu pnfr vs
lbh bayl tnir bar cneg, tb onpx naq fhccyl gur bgure bar, jvgubhg
punatvat jung lbh jebgr.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...good to see you back in the 'From' column."
m...@vex.net | --Maria Conlon

Bruce Bowler

Feb 26, 2019, 9:17:17 AM2/26/19
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 00:23:55 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3 (2019-02-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. US president Trump has announced that he will meet with North
> Korean leader Kim Jong Un on February 27 in *what country*?

Vietnam

> * Game 4 (2019-02-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The controversy described in question 10 above has now led to
> the resignation of Trudeau's principal secretary, who had held the
> job since the election. Which long-time friend of Trudeau was that?
>
> 2. A pioneering transgender soul singer died this week at age 78.
> Who was she?
>
> 3. What famous, iconic fashion designer died this week at age 85?
>
> 4. Which Mars rover was officially taken out of service recently,
> having exceeded its planned operational lifetime by more than 50
> times?

Opportunity

> 5. That country was slated to become the fourth to land and operate
> a device on the Moon? The dishwasher-sized rover was paid for mostly
> by private funding, and was launched recently from Cape Canaveral by
> SpaceX.

Israel

> 6. Formerly acting director of the FBI, he is now on tour promoting
> his new book "The Threat". Who is he?

Andrew McCabe

> 7. After Jussie Smollett was charged with filing a false police
> report, his character was deleted from what TV series?

Empire

> 8. Which billionaire businessman hosted a Venezuelan Aid Live
> concert on Friday, just across the Venezuelan border in Cúcuta,
> Colombia?
>
> 9. Who was finally chosen to host yesterday's Academy Awards show?

Nobody

> 10. Which Democratic Representative from New York drew the ire
> of New Yorkers when her "Green New Deal" was cited as one of the
> reasons for Amazon canceling its plans for a secondary headquarters
> in New York?

Ocasio-Cortez

Dan Blum

Feb 26, 2019, 9:55:42 AM2/26/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3 (2019-02-11), Round 1 - Current Events

> 3. US president Trump has announced that he will meet with North
> Korean leader Kim Jong Un on February 27 in *what country*?

China; Japan

> 4. The House of Commons Heritage Committee approved a measure
> Thursday to make the last day of *what month* National Truth
> and Reconciliation Day?

May; June

> 7. The Chinese lunar New Year was last week -- introducing the
> year of what animal in the Chinese zodiac?

pig

> * Game 4 (2019-02-25), Round 1 - Current Events

> 3. What famous, iconic fashion designer died this week at age 85?

Karl Lagerfeld

> 4. Which Mars rover was officially taken out of service recently,
> having exceeded its planned operational lifetime by more than
> 50 times?

Opportunity

> 5. That country was slated to become the fourth to land and operate
> a device on the Moon? The dishwasher-sized rover was paid for
> mostly by private funding, and was launched recently from Cape
> Canaveral by SpaceX.

China; Israel

> 6. Formerly acting director of the FBI, he is now on tour promoting
> his new book "The Threat". Who is he?

McCabe

> 7. After Jussie Smollett was charged with filing a false police
> report, his character was deleted from what TV series?

Empire

> 9. Who was finally chosen to host yesterday's Academy Awards show?

no one

> 10. Which Democratic Representative from New York drew the ire
> of New Yorkers when her "Green New Deal" was cited as one of
> the reasons for Amazon canceling its plans for a secondary
> headquarters in New York?

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Feb 26, 2019, 2:06:41 PM2/26/19
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3 (2019-02-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Bruce McArthur has pleaded guilty to eight murders. When
> arrested, he had another victim tied up in his bedroom, still
> alive. Only the first name of that victim has been released --
> what was it?
>
> 2. An eastern Newfoundland town has been gripped by the mystery
> of billboards declaring in large letters that K.R. loves *who*?
> Give her first name.
>
> 3. US president Trump has announced that he will meet with North
> Korean leader Kim Jong Un on February 27 in *what country*?

Vietnam

> 4. The House of Commons Heritage Committee approved a measure
> Thursday to make the last day of *what month* National Truth
> and Reconciliation Day?
>
> 5. What day last week was the NBA deadline for player trades?
>
> 6. This man was an all-star outfielder for 12 seasons, ranked 10th
> in career home runs, and is in the Hall of Fame. He was also
> the first black manager in major-league baseball, and the final
> manager of the Montreal Expos. He died on Thursday. Who was he?
>
> 7. The Chinese lunar New Year was last week -- introducing the
> year of what animal in the Chinese zodiac?

pig

> 8. The Conservative provincial government has set a lifetime limit
> for autism treatments for children. Within $9,000, what is it?

$9,000

> 9. Two CBC series, "Anne with an E" and "Schitt's Creek", were
> the leading nominees for which awards?
>
> 10. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is facing calls for an invest-
> igation into allegations that senior PMO officials pressed
> the then Justice Minister not to seek criminal charges against
> *which high-profile Quebec engineering company*?
>

> * Game 4 (2019-02-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The controversy described in question 10 above has now led to
> the resignation of Trudeau's principal secretary, who had held
> the job since the election. Which long-time friend of Trudeau
> was that?
>
> 2. A pioneering transgender soul singer died this week at age 78.
> Who was she?
>
> 3. What famous, iconic fashion designer died this week at age 85?
>
> 4. Which Mars rover was officially taken out of service recently,
> having exceeded its planned operational lifetime by more than
> 50 times?

Opportunity

> 5. That country was slated to become the fourth to land and operate
> a device on the Moon? The dishwasher-sized rover was paid for
> mostly by private funding, and was launched recently from Cape
> Canaveral by SpaceX.

Israel

> 6. Formerly acting director of the FBI, he is now on tour promoting
> his new book "The Threat". Who is he?

Comey

> 7. After Jussie Smollett was charged with filing a false police
> report, his character was deleted from what TV series?
>
> 8. Which billionaire businessman hosted a Venezuelan Aid Live
> concert on Friday, just across the Venezuelan border in Cúcuta,
> Colombia?
>
> 9. Who was finally chosen to host yesterday's Academy Awards show?
>
> 10. Which Democratic Representative from New York drew the ire
> of New Yorkers when her "Green New Deal" was cited as one of
> the reasons for Amazon canceling its plans for a secondary
> headquarters in New York?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 26, 2019, 2:38:04 PM2/26/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3 (2019-02-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. An eastern Newfoundland town has been gripped by the mystery
> of billboards declaring in large letters that K.R. loves *who*?
> Give her first name.

Lisa

> 3. US president Trump has announced that he will meet with North
> Korean leader Kim Jong Un on February 27 in *what country*?

Vietnam

> 5. What day last week was the NBA deadline for player trades?

Wedenesday

> 7. The Chinese lunar New Year was last week -- introducing the
> year of what animal in the Chinese zodiac?

Cat

> * Game 4 (2019-02-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. What famous, iconic fashion designer died this week at age 85?

Lagerfeldt

> 5. That country was slated to become the fourth to land and operate
> a device on the Moon? The dishwasher-sized rover was paid for
> mostly by private funding, and was launched recently from Cape
> Canaveral by SpaceX.

Israel

> 6. Formerly acting director of the FBI, he is now on tour promoting
> his new book "The Threat". Who is he?

Comley

> 8. Which billionaire businessman hosted a Venezuelan Aid Live
> concert on Friday, just across the Venezuelan border in Cúcuta,
> Colombia?

Richard Branson

> After completing both rounds, please decode the rot13: Va gur ynfg
> dhrfgvba bs rnpu ebhaq, obgu gur pbzcnal anzr naq gur Qrzbpeng'f
> fheanzr ner gjb-cneg anzrf, yvxr Rkkba-Zbovy. Va rnpu pnfr vs
> lbh bayl tnir bar cneg, tb onpx naq fhccyl gur bgure bar, jvgubhg
> punatvat jung lbh jebgr.

I suspected #10 was the lass with the two-part name, but since I don't
recall any part very closely, I did not enter. Just two-part name is not
likely to give any points!

Pete Gayde

Feb 26, 2019, 9:09:36 PM2/26/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:I-ydnQgbT93mRunBnZ2dnUU7-
KvN...@giganews.com:
Vietnam

> 4. The House of Commons Heritage Committee approved a measure
> Thursday to make the last day of *what month* National Truth
> and Reconciliation Day?

May; June

> 5. What day last week was the NBA deadline for player trades?

Feb 7; Feb 8

> 6. This man was an all-star outfielder for 12 seasons, ranked 10th
> in career home runs, and is in the Hall of Fame. He was also
> the first black manager in major-league baseball, and the final
> manager of the Montreal Expos. He died on Thursday. Who was he?

Frank Robinson

> 7. The Chinese lunar New Year was last week -- introducing the
> year of what animal in the Chinese zodiac?

Pig

> 8. The Conservative provincial government has set a lifetime limit
> for autism treatments for children. Within $9,000, what is it?

$100,000; $150,000

> 9. Two CBC series, "Anne with an E" and "Schitt's Creek", were
> the leading nominees for which awards?

Golden Globe

> 10. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is facing calls for an invest-
> igation into allegations that senior PMO officials pressed
> the then Justice Minister not to seek criminal charges against
> *which high-profile Quebec engineering company*?
>

> * Game 4 (2019-02-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The controversy described in question 10 above has now led to
> the resignation of Trudeau's principal secretary, who had held
> the job since the election. Which long-time friend of Trudeau
> was that?
>
> 2. A pioneering transgender soul singer died this week at age 78.
> Who was she?
>
> 3. What famous, iconic fashion designer died this week at age 85?

Lagerfeld

> 4. Which Mars rover was officially taken out of service recently,
> having exceeded its planned operational lifetime by more than
> 50 times?

Discovery

> 5. That country was slated to become the fourth to land and operate
> a device on the Moon? The dishwasher-sized rover was paid for
> mostly by private funding, and was launched recently from Cape
> Canaveral by SpaceX.

Israel

> 6. Formerly acting director of the FBI, he is now on tour promoting
> his new book "The Threat". Who is he?

McCabe

> 7. After Jussie Smollett was charged with filing a false police
> report, his character was deleted from what TV series?

Empire

> 8. Which billionaire businessman hosted a Venezuelan Aid Live
> concert on Friday, just across the Venezuelan border in Cúcuta,
> Colombia?
>
> 9. Who was finally chosen to host yesterday's Academy Awards show?

No one.

> 10. Which Democratic Representative from New York drew the ire
> of New Yorkers when her "Green New Deal" was cited as one of
> the reasons for Amazon canceling its plans for a secondary
> headquarters in New York?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

> After completing both rounds, please decode the rot13: Va gur ynfg
> dhrfgvba bs rnpu ebhaq, obgu gur pbzcnal anzr naq gur Qrzbpeng'f
> fheanzr ner gjb-cneg anzrf, yvxr Rkkba-Zbovy. Va rnpu pnfr vs
> lbh bayl tnir bar cneg, tb onpx naq fhccyl gur bgure bar, jvgubhg
> punatvat jung lbh jebgr.

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 27, 2019, 8:08:16 AM2/27/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:I-ydnQgbT93mRunBnZ2dnUU7-
KvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3 (2019-02-11), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. US president Trump has announced that he will meet with North
> Korean leader Kim Jong Un on February 27 in *what country*?

Vietnam

> 6. This man was an all-star outfielder for 12 seasons, ranked 10th
> in career home runs, and is in the Hall of Fame. He was also
> the first black manager in major-league baseball, and the final
> manager of the Montreal Expos. He died on Thursday. Who was he?

Frank Robinson

> * Game 4 (2019-02-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. What famous, iconic fashion designer died this week at age 85?

Karl Lagerfeld

> 7. After Jussie Smollett was charged with filing a false police
> report, his character was deleted from what TV series?

"Empire"

> 8. Which billionaire businessman hosted a Venezuelan Aid Live
> concert on Friday, just across the Venezuelan border in Cúcuta,
> Colombia?

Richard Branson

> 9. Who was finally chosen to host yesterday's Academy Awards show?

nobody

> 10. Which Democratic Representative from New York drew the ire
> of New Yorkers when her "Green New Deal" was cited as one of
> the reasons for Amazon canceling its plans for a secondary
> headquarters in New York?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Mar 1, 2019, 12:08:44 AM3/1/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the
> dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still
> expected to give the answers that were correct on that date...
> For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3 (2019-02-11), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Bruce McArthur has pleaded guilty to eight murders. When
> arrested, he had another victim tied up in his bedroom, still
> alive. Only the first name of that victim has been released --
> what was it?

John.

> 2. An eastern Newfoundland town has been gripped by the mystery
> of billboards declaring in large letters that K.R. loves *who*?
> Give her first name.

Sonia. (The town is Conception Bay South.)

See: http://i.cbc.ca/1.5003670.1549131647!/fileImage/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/16x9_780/kr-loves-sonia.JPG

> 3. US president Trump has announced that he will meet with North
> Korean leader Kim Jong Un on February 27 in *what country*?

Vietnam. 4 for Bruce, Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete, and Joshua.

> 4. The House of Commons Heritage Committee approved a measure
> Thursday to make the last day of *what month* National Truth
> and Reconciliation Day?

September.

> 5. What day last week was the NBA deadline for player trades?

Thursday, 2019-02-07. 3 for Pete.

> 6. This man was an all-star outfielder for 12 seasons, ranked 10th
> in career home runs, and is in the Hall of Fame. He was also
> the first black manager in major-league baseball, and the final
> manager of the Montreal Expos. He died on Thursday. Who was he?

Frank Robinson. (No, he was not related to Jackie Robinson.)
4 for Pete and Joshua.

> 7. The Chinese lunar New Year was last week -- introducing the
> year of what animal in the Chinese zodiac?

Pig. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. The Conservative provincial government has set a lifetime limit
> for autism treatments for children. Within $9,000, what is it?

$140,000 (accepting $131,000-$149,000).

They presented this as a *good* thing for families with autistic
children because there is currently a backlog of children needing
treatment -- and as families exhaust their limit, spaces will become
available for others. Ooh, good. "With friends like these, who
needs enemies?"

> 9. Two CBC series, "Anne with an E" and "Schitt's Creek", were
> the leading nominees for which awards?

Canadian Screen Awards.

> 10. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is facing calls for an invest-
> igation into allegations that senior PMO officials pressed
> the then Justice Minister not to seek criminal charges against
> *which high-profile Quebec engineering company*?

SNC-Lavalin. (Both parts required.)

This name that none of you knew... remember it. When the election in
October goes to the <spit>Conservatives</>, this will have been why.

> * Game 4 (2019-02-25), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. The controversy described in question 10 above has now led to
> the resignation of Trudeau's principal secretary, who had held
> the job since the election. Which long-time friend of Trudeau
> was that?

Gerald Butts.

> 2. A pioneering transgender soul singer died this week at age 78.
> Who was she?

Jackie Shane.

> 3. What famous, iconic fashion designer died this week at age 85?

Karl Lagerfeld. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, and Joshua.

> 4. Which Mars rover was officially taken out of service recently,
> having exceeded its planned operational lifetime by more than
> 50 times?

Opportunity. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

In the original game this question read "by about 10 times".
I have no idea where *that* came from!

> 5. That country was slated to become the fourth to land and operate
> a device on the Moon? The dishwasher-sized rover was paid for
> mostly by private funding, and was launched recently from Cape
> Canaveral by SpaceX.

Israel. (It's called Beresheet, which is Hebrew for "Genesis".)
4 for Bruce, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Formerly acting director of the FBI, he is now on tour promoting
> his new book "The Threat". Who is he?

Andrew McCabe. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. After Jussie Smollett was charged with filing a false police
> report, his character was deleted from what TV series?

"Empire". 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 8. Which billionaire businessman hosted a Venezuelan Aid Live
> concert on Friday, just across the Venezuelan border in Cúcuta,
> Colombia?

Richard Branson. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> 9. Who was finally chosen to host yesterday's Academy Awards show?

No one. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 10. Which Democratic Representative from New York drew the ire
> of New Yorkers when her "Green New Deal" was cited as one of
> the reasons for Amazon canceling its plans for a secondary
> headquarters in New York?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. (Full surname required.) 4 for Bruce,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 1½ 2 3 4 BEST THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 16 24 11 8 20 60
Dan Blum 18 11 8 4 26 55
Pete Gayde 14 0 12 15 24 53
Dan Tilque 12 8 4 8 12 32
Erland Sommarskog 4 11 8 4 12 31
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- 4 24 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "UNIX make moving not pain
m...@vex.net | but almost pleasure." -- "Housewife", 1941