QFTCI16 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: Spain 1936-39, Athlete-Eponyms

Mark Brader

Jun 15, 2016, 12:44:23 AM6/15/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War

The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
Here are some questions about that conflict.

1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
coup took place in which Spanish possession?

2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.

3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
Name it.

4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
countries: the USSR and what other one?

5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
town by Germans in 1937?

6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.

7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
Republicans. What were they more commonly called?

8. And what was the Canadian battalion called?

9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
his experiences. Name either the author or the book.

10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
supporters of the enemy. What phrase?

* Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes

1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?

2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
by Ron Joyce and what athlete?

3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?

4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
"neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?

5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
name the candy bar.

6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The
following year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted
cornflakes was alliteratively named after him. Who is he?

7. There are also some things that are named after athletes and
actually something have to do with sports. The annual trophy
for the NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of
perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" is named
after the first player to suffer a fatal injury during a game.
It happened in 1968. Name him.

8. In the world curling championships, the two top teams play each
other and the winner gets directly into the final while the
loser can still reach the final by beating the winner of the
game between the third- and fourth-place teams. This system is
known by the name of a former player of Aussie Rules football,
who advocated its adoption in the league he was affiliated with.
Name him.

9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.

10. And, of course, there are also sports techniques that are
named after the athletes who made them famous. For figure
skater Denise Biellmann, that would be the Biellmann spin.
In her original version of this maneuver, the skater spins on
one foot while doing what else? Be fully specific.

--
Mark Brader "Never trust anybody who says 'trust me.'
Toronto Except just this once, of course."

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 15, 2016, 1:22:06 AM6/15/16
In article <cpmdnb7hka2_QP3K...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War
>
> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.
>
> 1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
> coup took place in which Spanish possession?
>
> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.
Popular Front

> 3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
> September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
> known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
> Name it.
El Caudillo

> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?
Mexico

> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?
Picasso's Guernica

> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.
>
> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?
Abraham Lincoln Brigade

> 8. And what was the Canadian battalion called?
>
> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.
>
> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?
fifth column

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
> and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
> professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?
>
> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?
>
> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
> in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
> The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
> name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?
Tommy John

> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?
Lou Gehrig

> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.
Baby Ruth

> 6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
> and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The
> following year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted
> cornflakes was alliteratively named after him. Who is he?
Doug Flutie

> 7. There are also some things that are named after athletes and
> actually something have to do with sports. The annual trophy
> for the NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of
> perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" is named
> after the first player to suffer a fatal injury during a game.
> It happened in 1968. Name him.
>
> 8. In the world curling championships, the two top teams play each
> other and the winner gets directly into the final while the
> loser can still reach the final by beating the winner of the
> game between the third- and fourth-place teams. This system is
> known by the name of a former player of Aussie Rules football,
> who advocated its adoption in the league he was affiliated with.
> Name him.
>
> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.
Joe Louis

> 10. And, of course, there are also sports techniques that are
> named after the athletes who made them famous. For figure
> skater Denise Biellmann, that would be the Biellmann spin.
> In her original version of this maneuver, the skater spins on
> one foot while doing what else? Be fully specific.

Dan Blum

Jun 15, 2016, 10:52:27 AM6/15/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War

> 1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
> coup took place in which Spanish possession?

Western Sahara

> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.

Falange

> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?

Greece

> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?

Guernica

> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.

Garcia Llorca

> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?

Abraham Lincoln Brigade

> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?

fifth column

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes

> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?

Tim Horton

> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?

Lou Gehrig

> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.

Baby Ruth

> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.

Joe Louis

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

bbowler

Jun 15, 2016, 11:23:43 AM6/15/16
On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 23:44:18 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
> and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
> professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?
>
> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?

Tim Horton

> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere in the
> body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones. The procedure
> was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common name comes from the
> first patient he used it on. Who was that?

Tommy John

> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better known
> as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of the athlete
> whose career it famously ended. What athlete?

Lou Gherig

> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher in
> baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name). Rather,
> they said, it was named after a presidential daughter who had died 17
> years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway, name the candy bar.

Baby Ruth

> 6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
> and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The following
> year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted cornflakes was
> alliteratively named after him. Who is he?

Doug Flutie

> 7. There are also some things that are named after athletes and
> actually something have to do with sports. The annual trophy for the
> NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance,
> sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" is named after the first
> player to suffer a fatal injury during a game. It happened in 1968.
> Name him.
>
> 8. In the world curling championships, the two top teams play each
> other and the winner gets directly into the final while the loser can
> still reach the final by beating the winner of the game between the
> third- and fourth-place teams. This system is known by the name of a
> former player of Aussie Rules football, who advocated its adoption in
> the league he was affiliated with. Name him.
>
> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.

Joe Lewis

> 10. And, of course, there are also sports techniques that are
> named after the athletes who made them famous. For figure skater
> Denise Biellmann, that would be the Biellmann spin.
> In her original version of this maneuver, the skater spins on one
> foot while doing what else? Be fully specific.

Holding the other foot over the head, behind their back with their hands

Peter Smyth

Jun 15, 2016, 1:24:09 PM6/15/16
China
> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?
Guernica
> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.
>
> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?
>
> 8. And what was the Canadian battalion called?
>
> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.
Ernest Hemingway
> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?
Fifth Column

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
> and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
> professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?
>
> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?
>
> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
> in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
> The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
> name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?
Tommy John
> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?
Lou Gehrig
> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.
Babe Ruth
> 6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
> and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The
> following year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted
> cornflakes was alliteratively named after him. Who is he?
>
> 7. There are also some things that are named after athletes and
> actually something have to do with sports. The annual trophy
> for the NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of
> perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" is named
> after the first player to suffer a fatal injury during a game.
> It happened in 1968. Name him.
>
> 8. In the world curling championships, the two top teams play each
> other and the winner gets directly into the final while the
> loser can still reach the final by beating the winner of the
> game between the third- and fourth-place teams. This system is
> known by the name of a former player of Aussie Rules football,
> who advocated its adoption in the league he was affiliated with.
> Name him.
>
> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.
>
> 10. And, of course, there are also sports techniques that are
> named after the athletes who made them famous. For figure
> skater Denise Biellmann, that would be the Biellmann spin.
> In her original version of this maneuver, the skater spins on
> one foot while doing what else? Be fully specific.
Holding the end of her other foot

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 15, 2016, 3:18:59 PM6/15/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War
>
> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.
>
> 1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
> coup took place in which Spanish possession?

Melilla

> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.

Falangists

> 3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
> September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
> known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
> Name it.

Caudillo

> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?

Mexico

> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?

Guernica

> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.

Hemmingway

> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?

¡No pasaran!

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.

Mars

> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.

Joe Louis

Calvin

Jun 15, 2016, 10:05:39 PM6/15/16
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 2:44:23 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>
> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War
>
> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.
>
> 1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
> coup took place in which Spanish possession?

Canary Islands, Ceutta

> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.

Hezbollah

> 3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
> September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
> known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
> Name it.
>
> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?

UK, France

> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?

Picasso's Guernica

> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.
>
> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?
>
> 8. And what was the Canadian battalion called?
>
> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.

Orwell

> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
> and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
> professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?
>
> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?
>
> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
> in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
> The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
> name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?
>
> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?

Gehrig

> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.

Babe, Ruth
That's two separate answers

> 6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
> and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The
> following year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted
> cornflakes was alliteratively named after him. Who is he?

Kelly?

> 7. There are also some things that are named after athletes and
> actually something have to do with sports. The annual trophy
> for the NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of
> perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" is named
> after the first player to suffer a fatal injury during a game.
> It happened in 1968. Name him.
>
> 8. In the world curling championships, the two top teams play each
> other and the winner gets directly into the final while the
> loser can still reach the final by beating the winner of the
> game between the third- and fourth-place teams. This system is
> known by the name of a former player of Aussie Rules football,
> who advocated its adoption in the league he was affiliated with.
> Name him.

McIntyre

> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.
>
> 10. And, of course, there are also sports techniques that are
> named after the athletes who made them famous. For figure
> skater Denise Biellmann, that would be the Biellmann spin.
> In her original version of this maneuver, the skater spins on
> one foot while doing what else? Be fully specific.

Holding other foot over shoulder, Moving arms in and out

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 15, 2016, 11:29:53 PM6/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:cpmdnb7hka2_QP3KnZ2dnUU7-
RfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War
>
> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.
>
> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.

Falange

> 3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
> September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
> known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
> Name it.

Caudillo

> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?

"Guernica"

> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.

Garcia Lorca

> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?

Abraham Lincoln Brigade

> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.

Orwell

> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?

fifth column

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?

Tim Horton

> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
> in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
> The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
> name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?

Tommy John

> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?

Lou Gehrig

> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.

Baby Ruth

> 6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
> and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The
> following year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted
> cornflakes was alliteratively named after him. Who is he?

Doug Flutie

> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.

Joe Louis

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 15, 2016, 11:34:15 PM6/15/16
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 12:44:23 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>
> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War
>
> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.
>
> 1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
> coup took place in which Spanish possession?
>
> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.
Falangists
> 3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
> September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
> known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
> Name it.
>
> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?
The U.S.
> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?
"Guernica"
> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.
Federico Garcia Lorca
> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?
Abraham Lincoln Brigade
> 8. And what was the Canadian battalion called?
>
> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.
A Farewell to Arms
> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
> and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
> professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?
>
> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?
>
> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
> in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
> The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
> name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?
Tommy John
> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?
Lou Gehrig
> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.
Baby Ruth

Dan Tilque

Jun 16, 2016, 3:00:12 AM6/16/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>
> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War
>
> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.
>
> 1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
> coup took place in which Spanish possession?

Western Sahara

> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.
>
> 3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
> September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
> known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
> Name it.
>
> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?

Yugoslavia

> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?
>
> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.
>
> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?

Abraham Lincoln Brigade

> 8. And what was the Canadian battalion called?
>
> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.
>
> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?

fifth columnists

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
> and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
> professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?
>
> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?
>
> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
> in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
> The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
> name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?

Tommy John

> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?

Lou Gerhig

> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.

Baby Ruth

> 6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
> and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The
> following year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted
> cornflakes was alliteratively named after him. Who is he?
>
> 7. There are also some things that are named after athletes and
> actually something have to do with sports. The annual trophy
> for the NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of
> perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" is named
> after the first player to suffer a fatal injury during a game.
> It happened in 1968. Name him.
>
> 8. In the world curling championships, the two top teams play each
> other and the winner gets directly into the final while the
> loser can still reach the final by beating the winner of the
> game between the third- and fourth-place teams. This system is
> known by the name of a former player of Aussie Rules football,
> who advocated its adoption in the league he was affiliated with.
> Name him.
>
> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.

Arthur Ashe

> 10. And, of course, there are also sports techniques that are
> named after the athletes who made them famous. For figure
> skater Denise Biellmann, that would be the Biellmann spin.
> In her original version of this maneuver, the skater spins on
> one foot while doing what else? Be fully specific.

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Jun 16, 2016, 3:27:28 AM6/16/16
On 2016-06-15 06:44, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>
> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War
>
> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.
>
> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?

Portugal ; Turkey

> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?

Guernica by Picasso

> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.

Hmm Hemingway was involved, but I thought he was American by birth.
But he just might be an immigrant from the UK.
I say Hemingway - with risk of looking like a fool.

> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?

5th colons. However I though that was Roman.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes

Björn

Pete

Jun 16, 2016, 5:21:15 PM6/16/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:cpmdnb7hka2_QP3KnZ2dnUU7-
RfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>
> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War
>
> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.
>
> 1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
> coup took place in which Spanish possession?

Tangiers

> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.
>
> 3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
> September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
> known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
> Name it.
>
> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?
>
> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?

Guernica

> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.

Garcia Lorca

> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?
>
> 8. And what was the Canadian battalion called?
>
> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.
>
> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
> and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
> professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?

Gagne

> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?

Tim Horton

> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
> in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
> The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
> name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?

Tommy John

> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?

Lou Gehrig

> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.

Baby Ruth

> 6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
> and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The
> following year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted
> cornflakes was alliteratively named after him. Who is he?

Flutie

> 7. There are also some things that are named after athletes and
> actually something have to do with sports. The annual trophy
> for the NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of
> perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" is named
> after the first player to suffer a fatal injury during a game.
> It happened in 1968. Name him.

Masterton

> 8. In the world curling championships, the two top teams play each
> other and the winner gets directly into the final while the
> loser can still reach the final by beating the winner of the
> game between the third- and fourth-place teams. This system is
> known by the name of a former player of Aussie Rules football,
> who advocated its adoption in the league he was affiliated with.
> Name him.
>
> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.

Joe Louis

> 10. And, of course, there are also sports techniques that are
> named after the athletes who made them famous. For figure
> skater Denise Biellmann, that would be the Biellmann spin.
> In her original version of this maneuver, the skater spins on
> one foot while doing what else? Be fully specific.

Holding the other foot straight up overhead

Pete Gayde

swp

Jun 16, 2016, 7:44:58 PM6/16/16
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 12:44:23 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

the bruise is down to the size of a trash can lid. I plan on returning to the scene of the attack and using a copious amount of thermite on that rock...

> I wrote one of these rounds.

oh my stars and garters

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War
>
> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.
>
> 1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
> coup took place in which Spanish possession?

morocco

> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.

falange

> 3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
> September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
> known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
> Name it.

caudillo

> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?

mexico

> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?

guernixa by picasso

> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.

lorca?

> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?

brigada abraham lincoln

> 8. And what was the Canadian battalion called?

mackenzie-papineau battalion

> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.

george orwell

> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?

fifth column

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes
>
> 1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
> and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
> professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?

hart's?

> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?

tim horton

> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
> in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
> The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
> name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?

tommy john

> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?

lou gehrig

> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.

baby ruth

> 6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
> and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The
> following year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted
> cornflakes was alliteratively named after him. Who is he?

doug flutie

> 7. There are also some things that are named after athletes and
> actually something have to do with sports. The annual trophy
> for the NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of
> perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" is named
> after the first player to suffer a fatal injury during a game.
> It happened in 1968. Name him.

bill masterton

> 8. In the world curling championships, the two top teams play each
> other and the winner gets directly into the final while the
> loser can still reach the final by beating the winner of the
> game between the third- and fourth-place teams. This system is
> known by the name of a former player of Aussie Rules football,
> who advocated its adoption in the league he was affiliated with.
> Name him.

page

> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.

joe louis

> 10. And, of course, there are also sports techniques that are
> named after the athletes who made them famous. For figure
> skater Denise Biellmann, that would be the Biellmann spin.
> In her original version of this maneuver, the skater spins on
> one foot while doing what else? Be fully specific.

holding her other leg/foot straight up in the air over her head

swp

Mark Brader

Jun 18, 2016, 1:22:58 PM6/18/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the sports round.

> * Game 1, Round 4 - History - The Spanish Civil War

> The Spanish Civil War lasted from July 1936 until April 1939.
> Here are some questions about that conflict.

> 1. On July 17, 1936, the Spanish Civil War began when a military
> coup took place in which Spanish possession?

Spanish Morocco. "Morocco" was sufficient, and in keeping with a
protest ruling in the original game, I accepted other references to
this part of Africa, including the anachronistic "Western Sahara".
4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Stephen. 2 for Calvin.

> 2. The rebels were generally called the Nationalists; the Government
> were the Republicans. What political organization ultimately
> came under the control of Francisco Franco? Hint: the name is
> similar to a right-wing faction in the civil war in Lebanon.

Falange. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Jason, and Stephen.

> 3. Two days after being named Generalissimo by the junta in
> September 1936, Franco assumed another title, by which he was
> known thereafter. It is the equivalent of Duce or Führer.
> Name it.

Caudillo ("cow-DEE-yo"). 4 for Marc, Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 4. During the war, most countries unofficially preferred one side
> or the other, but very few showed open support for either side.
> The Nationalists had the open support of Italy, Germany, and
> Portugal, while the Republicans had open support from only two
> countries: the USSR and what other one?

Mexico. 4 for Marc, Erland, and Stephen.

> 5. Which famous work of art was inspired by the bombing of a Basque
> town by Germans in 1937?

Guernica ("gear-NEE-ca", by Pablo Picasso). 4 for Marc, Dan Blum,
Peter, Erland, Calvin, Joshua, Jason, Björn, Pete, and Stephen.

> 6. Which Spanish poet and playwright was assassinated by
> Nationalists in August 1936? His body has never been located.

Federico García Lorca. Either "García" or "Lorca" was sufficient.
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Pete, and Stephen.

> 7. International brigades of volunteers were formed in support of
> both sides of the conflict. The US contingent was officially
> named the 15th International Brigade and fought for the
> Republicans. What were they more commonly called?

Abraham Lincoln Brigade. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 8. And what was the Canadian battalion called?

Mackenzie-Papineau (or Mac-Pap) battalion. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. One British author fought for the Republicans and was shot
> in battle, but recovered. In 1938, he wrote a book about
> his experiences. Name either the author or the book.

George Orwell, "Homage to Catalonia". 4 for Calvin, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> 10. The battle for Madrid resulted in the coining of this two-word
> phrase, which spread internationally to mean traitors, or hidden
> supporters of the enemy. What phrase?

Fifth column. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen. 3 for Björn.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Things Named After Athletes

> 1. This chain of stores selling "king-size" clothing for "big
> and tall" men was founded in Toronto in the 1940s by a former
> professional wrestler, and still bears his name. What name?

George Richards.

> 2. One of Canada's leading fast-food chains was founded jointly
> by Ron Joyce and what athlete?

Tim Horton, duh. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

> 3. In an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, a damaged
> ligament in the elbow is replaced with a tendon from elsewhere
> in the body, which is anchored to holes drilled in the bones.
> The procedure was developed by Dr. Frank Jobe and its common
> name comes from the first patient he used it on. Who was that?

Tommy John. 4 for Marc, Bruce, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Stephen.

> 4. In Britain they call it "motor neuron disease" (and they spell
> "neuron" with an E on the end). Here this condition is better
> known as a certain type of sclerosis -- or else by the name of
> the athlete whose career it famously ended. What athlete?

Lou Gehrig. (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.) 4 for Marc, Dan Blum,
Bruce, Peter, Calvin, Joshua, Jason, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Stephen.

> 5. According to the Curtiss Candy Co., this candy bar introduced in
> 1921 was not named after a player who was formerly a star pitcher
> in baseball (and who had not authorized the use of his name).
> Rather, they said, it was named after a presidential daughter
> who had died 17 years earlier at age 12. Yeah, right. Anyway,
> name the candy bar.

Baby Ruth. (Exact answer required.) 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Bruce,
Joshua, Jason, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Stephen.

Ruth Cleveland was President Glover Cleveland's daughter.
Babe Ruth switched from pitching to the outfield in 1919.

> 6. This man moved from the NFL to the CFL and back again. In 1996
> and '97 he quarterbacked the Argos to two Grey Cups. The
> following year, when he was with Buffalo, a brand of frosted
> cornflakes was alliteratively named after him. Who is he?

Doug Flutie. (Flutie Flakes.) 4 for Marc, Bruce, Joshua, Pete,
and Stephen.

> 7. There are also some things that are named after athletes and
> actually something have to do with sports. The annual trophy
> for the NHL player who "best exemplifies the qualities of
> perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey" is named
> after the first player to suffer a fatal injury during a game.
> It happened in 1968. Name him.

Bill Masterton. 4 for Pete and Stephen.

He was with the Minnesota North Stars. In connection with the
recent brouhaha about concussions, it has been suggested that the
reason his head injury was fatal was that he hadn't yet recovered
from the previous one.

> 8. In the world curling championships, the two top teams play each
> other and the winner gets directly into the final while the
> loser can still reach the final by beating the winner of the
> game between the third- and fourth-place teams. This system is
> known by the name of a former player of Aussie Rules football,
> who advocated its adoption in the league he was affiliated with.
> Name him.

Percy "Pip" Page. 4 for Stephen.

(In curling it's the "Page playoff" system. In Australian football
the name McIntyre is also applied to it, but we asked about curling.)

> 9. One NHL team plays in an arena named for an athlete in a
> different sport -- an individual sport. Name him.

Joe Louis. (Boxer; Detroit Red Wings.) 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Bruce,
Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

> 10. And, of course, there are also sports techniques that are
> named after the athletes who made them famous. For figure
> skater Denise Biellmann, that would be the Biellmann spin.
> In her original version of this maneuver, the skater spins on
> one foot while doing what else? Be fully specific.

She extends her other leg backward and then upward, and reaches
upward and then backward with her hands, to hold onto her foot
above her head! 4 for Bruce, Pete, and Stephen. 3 for Calvin.

Although I said "fully specific", I did not require it to be
mentioned that the leg is extended backwards.

http://skating.bplaced.net/Persons/Bielmann/Denise10.jpg

In the original game, QMs were instructed: "If you find this long
answer too much trouble to read out, you may instead demonstrate
the maneuver yourself."

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Ent His Spo
Stephen Perry 24 40 40 36 140
Joshua Kreitzer 4 24 28 24 80
Marc Dashevsky 0 32 20 20 72
Pete Gayde 0 24 12 32 68
Dan Blum 0 24 24 16 64
Jason Kreitzer 0 20 16 12 48
Dan Tilque 0 12 12 12 36
"Calvin" 0 12 10 7 29
Peter Smyth 4 8 8 8 28
Bruce Bowler -- -- 0 28 28
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 20 4 24
Björn Lundin 0 4 7 0 11

--
Mark Brader "I cannot reply in French, but I will
Toronto type English very slowly and loudly."