QFTCIUA19 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: cars on screen, unlovable Raptors

Mark Brader

Jun 30, 2019, 4:19:45 PM6/30/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Drive, she Said

You are what you drive, especially onscreen. Here's a round
on car makes and models that entered, or were confirmed, in our
consciousness via TV and movies.

1. Introduced at a car show in 1954, the Lincoln Futura was only
a prototype, but it gained immortality painted in black, courtesy
of a '60s TV series. By what name do we know it from the show?

2. Name Disney's series of movies about a Volkswagen with a
personality and sense of self.

3. What was Doc Brown's time-travel car of choice?

4. What was James Bond's car company of choice in 12 movies?

5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.

6. This 1969 Dodge Charger was known on its '70s TV series as the
General Lee. Name that series.

7. A very jealous 1958 Plymouth Fury was the central character of
a Stephen King novel and a subsequent movie. Name that
title car.

8. The 1977 Trans Am will always be associated with a Burt Reynolds
movie. Name that movie.

9. This very ugly AMC car was the official wheels of Wayne &
Garth in "Wayne's World", and the vehicle in which they sang
"Bohemian Rhapsody". Name that model.

10. The lead character in this '90s/'00s sitcom, set in a previous
era, drove his dad's 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Name that
sitcom.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Raptors: The Unlovable Years

A recent poll found 3/4 of US basketball fans are rooting for the
Raptors to win the NBA title over Golden State. But the team has
been unpopular with players, who sometimes refused to show up on
being traded here. Here's a round on the unloved Raptors, and
some big names who were barely here for a cup of coffee, if at all.

Where a team is asked for, answer with either city or team name,
like "Toronto" or "Raptors".

1. Nicknamed Mighty Mouse, the Raptors' first ever draft pick
and rookie of the year lasted 3 seasons before demanding a
trade to Portland. Name him.

2. Having traded <answer 1> to Portland, the Raptors found that
Kenny Anderson, the all-star player we were supposed to get,
had refused to show up, and he was traded in absentia -- to
what team?

3. The key player the Raptors got from <answer 2> for Anderson
showed up, but played less than a year before being traded to
the Denver Nuggets. He would become a 5-time NBA all-star,
mostly with the Nuggets and Detroit Pistons. Name him.

4. Vince Carter ended up unhappy in Toronto and was traded to the
New Jersey Nets for an eventual Hall of Fame player who -- yes
-- refused to show up to play for the Raptors. His contract
was bought out for $9,000,000 and he ended up playing for the
Miami Heat. Name him.

5. This player had an unusual reason for wanting to leave Toronto:
he felt he was being overshadowed by his cousin Vince Carter.
Name this eventual all-star, who was traded to Orlando 3 years
after being drafted straight out of high school.

6. Already famous in college as a member of the Michigan Wolverines
"Fab Five", this player was traded from the Bulls to the Raptors
in 2003 and lasted less than a season before being traded again,
to the Knicks. He is also famous for coining the term "Queen
Elizabeth tax hike" as a reason players shunned Toronto.

7. The player with the distinction of being the first to refuse
to play in Toronto, B.J. Armstrong was the team's first pick
in the expansion draft. He was traded without ever playing.
Name *either* the team he came from or the team they traded
him to.

8. This Houston Rockets superstar, nicknamed "The Dream", actually
chose to end his career in Toronto! But he was on the injured
list for most of his one season, and his big contract messed
up the team's salary cap for years. So, no love lost there.
Name him.

9. This early Raptors star was sent to the Knicks in 1998 after
demanding a trade. He continued to bad-mouth the organization
to the extent that then-coach Butch Carter filed a defamation
suit against him. Name that player, who would later infamously
punch Spurs coach Jeff Van Gundy in the face.

10. His name and his ethnicity are similar. This highly touted
Turkish-born three-point shooter was traded to the Raptors in
2010 and was soon fined and benched for partying all night.
On being traded to Phoenix, he openly bad-mouthed both Toronto
and the Raptors. Who he?

--
Mark Brader | "You know, you have a very transparent mind --
Toronto | which in no way implies clear thinking!"

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 30, 2019, 10:32:28 PM6/30/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:4dqdnThRepLBhITAnZ2dnUU7-
SXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Drive, she Said
>
> You are what you drive, especially onscreen. Here's a round
> on car makes and models that entered, or were confirmed, in our
> consciousness via TV and movies.
>
> 1. Introduced at a car show in 1954, the Lincoln Futura was only
> a prototype, but it gained immortality painted in black, courtesy
> of a '60s TV series. By what name do we know it from the show?

the Batmobile

> 2. Name Disney's series of movies about a Volkswagen with a
> personality and sense of self.

"Herbie"

> 3. What was Doc Brown's time-travel car of choice?

DeLorean

> 4. What was James Bond's car company of choice in 12 movies?

Aston Martin

> 5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
> Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.

"Knight Rider" (?)
(but that was from the 1980s)

> 6. This 1969 Dodge Charger was known on its '70s TV series as the
> General Lee. Name that series.

"The Dukes of Hazzard"

> 7. A very jealous 1958 Plymouth Fury was the central character of
> a Stephen King novel and a subsequent movie. Name that
> title car.

Christine

> 8. The 1977 Trans Am will always be associated with a Burt Reynolds
> movie. Name that movie.

"Smokey and the Bandit"

> 9. This very ugly AMC car was the official wheels of Wayne &
> Garth in "Wayne's World", and the vehicle in which they sang
> "Bohemian Rhapsody". Name that model.

Gremlin

> 10. The lead character in this '90s/'00s sitcom, set in a previous
> era, drove his dad's 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Name that
> sitcom.

"That 70s Show"

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Raptors: The Unlovable Years
>
> A recent poll found 3/4 of US basketball fans are rooting for the
> Raptors to win the NBA title over Golden State. But the team has
> been unpopular with players, who sometimes refused to show up on
> being traded here. Here's a round on the unloved Raptors, and
> some big names who were barely here for a cup of coffee, if at all.
>
> 8. This Houston Rockets superstar, nicknamed "The Dream", actually
> chose to end his career in Toronto! But he was on the injured
> list for most of his one season, and his big contract messed
> up the team's salary cap for years. So, no love lost there.
> Name him.

Hakeem Olajuwon

> 9. This early Raptors star was sent to the Knicks in 1998 after
> demanding a trade. He continued to bad-mouth the organization
> to the extent that then-coach Butch Carter filed a defamation
> suit against him. Name that player, who would later infamously
> punch Spurs coach Jeff Van Gundy in the face.

Sprewell

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jun 30, 2019, 10:55:56 PM6/30/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Drive, she Said

> 1. Introduced at a car show in 1954, the Lincoln Futura was only
> a prototype, but it gained immortality painted in black, courtesy
> of a '60s TV series. By what name do we know it from the show?

Batmobile

> 2. Name Disney's series of movies about a Volkswagen with a
> personality and sense of self.

Herbie the Love Bug

> 3. What was Doc Brown's time-travel car of choice?

DeLorean

> 4. What was James Bond's car company of choice in 12 movies?

Aston-Martin

> 5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
> Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.

Knight Rider

> 6. This 1969 Dodge Charger was known on its '70s TV series as the
> General Lee. Name that series.

Dukes of Hazzard

> 7. A very jealous 1958 Plymouth Fury was the central character of
> a Stephen King novel and a subsequent movie. Name that
> title car.

Christine

> 8. The 1977 Trans Am will always be associated with a Burt Reynolds
> movie. Name that movie.

Smokey and the Bandit

> 9. This very ugly AMC car was the official wheels of Wayne &
> Garth in "Wayne's World", and the vehicle in which they sang
> "Bohemian Rhapsody". Name that model.

Gremlin

> 10. The lead character in this '90s/'00s sitcom, set in a previous
> era, drove his dad's 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Name that
> sitcom.

That '70s Show

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Jul 1, 2019, 12:33:25 AM7/1/19
On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 6:19:45 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Drive, she Said
>
> You are what you drive, especially onscreen. Here's a round
> on car makes and models that entered, or were confirmed, in our
> consciousness via TV and movies.
>
> 1. Introduced at a car show in 1954, the Lincoln Futura was only
> a prototype, but it gained immortality painted in black, courtesy
> of a '60s TV series. By what name do we know it from the show?
>
> 2. Name Disney's series of movies about a Volkswagen with a
> personality and sense of self.

Herbie the Love Bug

> 3. What was Doc Brown's time-travel car of choice?

De Lorean

> 4. What was James Bond's car company of choice in 12 movies?

Aston Martin

> 5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
> Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.

The Rockford Files, Knight Rider

> 6. This 1969 Dodge Charger was known on its '70s TV series as the
> General Lee. Name that series.

The Dukes of Hazzard

> 7. A very jealous 1958 Plymouth Fury was the central character of
> a Stephen King novel and a subsequent movie. Name that
> title car.

Duel

> 8. The 1977 Trans Am will always be associated with a Burt Reynolds
> movie. Name that movie.

Smokey and the Bandit

> 9. This very ugly AMC car was the official wheels of Wayne &
> Garth in "Wayne's World", and the vehicle in which they sang
> "Bohemian Rhapsody". Name that model.
>
> 10. The lead character in this '90s/'00s sitcom, set in a previous
> era, drove his dad's 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Name that
> sitcom.

The Wonder Years

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Raptors: The Unlovable Years

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

Jul 1, 2019, 1:37:04 AM7/1/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:4dqdnThRepLBhITAnZ2dnUU7-
SXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-03,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Drive, she Said
>
> You are what you drive, especially onscreen. Here's a round
> on car makes and models that entered, or were confirmed, in our
> consciousness via TV and movies.
>
> 1. Introduced at a car show in 1954, the Lincoln Futura was only
> a prototype, but it gained immortality painted in black, courtesy
> of a '60s TV series. By what name do we know it from the show?

Batmobile

> 2. Name Disney's series of movies about a Volkswagen with a
> personality and sense of self.

The Love Bug

> 3. What was Doc Brown's time-travel car of choice?

DeLorean

> 4. What was James Bond's car company of choice in 12 movies?

Astin Martin

> 5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
> Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.

Knight Rider

> 6. This 1969 Dodge Charger was known on its '70s TV series as the
> General Lee. Name that series.

Dukes of Hazzard

> 7. A very jealous 1958 Plymouth Fury was the central character of
> a Stephen King novel and a subsequent movie. Name that
> title car.

Christine

> 8. The 1977 Trans Am will always be associated with a Burt Reynolds
> movie. Name that movie.

Smokey and the Bandit

> 9. This very ugly AMC car was the official wheels of Wayne &
> Garth in "Wayne's World", and the vehicle in which they sang
> "Bohemian Rhapsody". Name that model.

Gremlin; Pacer

> 10. The lead character in this '90s/'00s sitcom, set in a previous
> era, drove his dad's 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Name that
> sitcom.

That 70s Show

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Raptors: The Unlovable Years
>
> A recent poll found 3/4 of US basketball fans are rooting for the
> Raptors to win the NBA title over Golden State. But the team has
> been unpopular with players, who sometimes refused to show up on
> being traded here. Here's a round on the unloved Raptors, and
> some big names who were barely here for a cup of coffee, if at all.
>
> Where a team is asked for, answer with either city or team name,
> like "Toronto" or "Raptors".
>
> 1. Nicknamed Mighty Mouse, the Raptors' first ever draft pick
> and rookie of the year lasted 3 seasons before demanding a
> trade to Portland. Name him.
>
> 2. Having traded <answer 1> to Portland, the Raptors found that
> Kenny Anderson, the all-star player we were supposed to get,
> had refused to show up, and he was traded in absentia -- to
> what team?
>
> 3. The key player the Raptors got from <answer 2> for Anderson
> showed up, but played less than a year before being traded to
> the Denver Nuggets. He would become a 5-time NBA all-star,
> mostly with the Nuggets and Detroit Pistons. Name him.

Chauncey Billups

> 4. Vince Carter ended up unhappy in Toronto and was traded to the
> New Jersey Nets for an eventual Hall of Fame player who -- yes
> -- refused to show up to play for the Raptors. His contract
> was bought out for $9,000,000 and he ended up playing for the
> Miami Heat. Name him.

Wade

> 5. This player had an unusual reason for wanting to leave Toronto:
> he felt he was being overshadowed by his cousin Vince Carter.
> Name this eventual all-star, who was traded to Orlando 3 years
> after being drafted straight out of high school.
>
> 6. Already famous in college as a member of the Michigan Wolverines
> "Fab Five", this player was traded from the Bulls to the Raptors
> in 2003 and lasted less than a season before being traded again,
> to the Knicks. He is also famous for coining the term "Queen
> Elizabeth tax hike" as a reason players shunned Toronto.

Juwann Howard; Jalen Rose

> 7. The player with the distinction of being the first to refuse
> to play in Toronto, B.J. Armstrong was the team's first pick
> in the expansion draft. He was traded without ever playing.
> Name *either* the team he came from or the team they traded
> him to.

Chicago Bulls

> 8. This Houston Rockets superstar, nicknamed "The Dream", actually
> chose to end his career in Toronto! But he was on the injured
> list for most of his one season, and his big contract messed
> up the team's salary cap for years. So, no love lost there.
> Name him.

Olajuwon

> 9. This early Raptors star was sent to the Knicks in 1998 after
> demanding a trade. He continued to bad-mouth the organization
> to the extent that then-coach Butch Carter filed a defamation
> suit against him. Name that player, who would later infamously
> punch Spurs coach Jeff Van Gundy in the face.
>
> 10. His name and his ethnicity are similar. This highly touted
> Turkish-born three-point shooter was traded to the Raptors in
> 2010 and was soon fined and benched for partying all night.
> On being traded to Phoenix, he openly bad-mouthed both Toronto
> and the Raptors. Who he?

Pete Gayde

Bruce Bowler

Jul 1, 2019, 10:09:52 AM7/1/19
On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 15:19:40 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-03, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-01-22
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Drive, she Said
>
> You are what you drive, especially onscreen. Here's a round on car
> makes and models that entered, or were confirmed, in our consciousness
> via TV and movies.
>
> 1. Introduced at a car show in 1954, the Lincoln Futura was only
> a prototype, but it gained immortality painted in black, courtesy of
> a '60s TV series. By what name do we know it from the show?

The Batmobile

> 2. Name Disney's series of movies about a Volkswagen with a
> personality and sense of self.

The Love Bug

> 3. What was Doc Brown's time-travel car of choice?

Delorean

> 4. What was James Bond's car company of choice in 12 movies?

Aston Martin

> 5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
> Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.

Knight Rider

> 6. This 1969 Dodge Charger was known on its '70s TV series as the
> General Lee. Name that series.

Dukes of Hazard

> 7. A very jealous 1958 Plymouth Fury was the central character of
> a Stephen King novel and a subsequent movie. Name that title car.

Christine

> 8. The 1977 Trans Am will always be associated with a Burt Reynolds
> movie. Name that movie.

Smokey and the Bandit

> 9. This very ugly AMC car was the official wheels of Wayne &
> Garth in "Wayne's World", and the vehicle in which they sang
> "Bohemian Rhapsody". Name that model.

Pacer

> 10. The lead character in this '90s/'00s sitcom, set in a previous
> era, drove his dad's 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Name that
> sitcom.

That 70's Show

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Raptors: The Unlovable Years
>
> A recent poll found 3/4 of US basketball fans are rooting for the
> Raptors to win the NBA title over Golden State. But the team has been
> unpopular with players, who sometimes refused to show up on being traded
> here. Here's a round on the unloved Raptors, and some big names who
> were barely here for a cup of coffee, if at all.

Oh boy, a "sports ball" category - nope.

Dan Tilque

Jul 2, 2019, 12:32:17 PM7/2/19
On 6/30/19 1:19 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Drive, she Said
>
> You are what you drive, especially onscreen. Here's a round
> on car makes and models that entered, or were confirmed, in our
> consciousness via TV and movies.
>
> 1. Introduced at a car show in 1954, the Lincoln Futura was only
> a prototype, but it gained immortality painted in black, courtesy
> of a '60s TV series. By what name do we know it from the show?

Batmobile

> 2. Name Disney's series of movies about a Volkswagen with a
> personality and sense of self.

Love Bug

> 3. What was Doc Brown's time-travel car of choice?

Delorean

> 4. What was James Bond's car company of choice in 12 movies?

Aston Martin

> 5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
> Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.

Knight Rider

> 6. This 1969 Dodge Charger was known on its '70s TV series as the
> General Lee. Name that series.

The Dukes of Hazzard

> 7. A very jealous 1958 Plymouth Fury was the central character of
> a Stephen King novel and a subsequent movie. Name that
> title car.
>
> 8. The 1977 Trans Am will always be associated with a Burt Reynolds
> movie. Name that movie.

Smokey and the Bandit

> 9. This very ugly AMC car was the official wheels of Wayne &
> Garth in "Wayne's World", and the vehicle in which they sang
> "Bohemian Rhapsody". Name that model.

Pacer

> 10. The lead character in this '90s/'00s sitcom, set in a previous
> era, drove his dad's 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Name that
> sitcom.

That 70s Show
Hakeem Olajuwan

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 3, 2019, 4:31:45 PM7/3/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-03,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Drive, she Said

> You are what you drive, especially onscreen. Here's a round
> on car makes and models that entered, or were confirmed, in our
> consciousness via TV and movies.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. Introduced at a car show in 1954, the Lincoln Futura was only
> a prototype, but it gained immortality painted in black, courtesy
> of a '60s TV series. By what name do we know it from the show?

Batmobile. ("Batman".) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Bruce,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Name Disney's series of movies about a Volkswagen with a
> personality and sense of self.

Herbie, the Love Bug. (Accepting either part.) 4 for everyone --
Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, Pete, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. What was Doc Brown's time-travel car of choice?

1981 DeLorean DMC-12. ("Back to the Future" series. Yes, "DeLorean"
was sufficient.) 4 for everyone.

Sources that one would expect to be reliable are inconsistent as
to whether John DeLorean and his company spelled it that way or as
"De Lorean". Of course, for purposes of this quiz it doesn't matter.

> 4. What was James Bond's car company of choice in 12 movies?

Aston-Martin. 4 for everyone.

> 5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
> Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.

"Knight Rider". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Calvin.

As Joshua noted, "'70s" was wrong; the show aired 1982-86.
The car's own name on it was KITT.

> 6. This 1969 Dodge Charger was known on its '70s TV series as the
> General Lee. Name that series.

"The Dukes of Hazzard". 4 for everyone.

> 7. A very jealous 1958 Plymouth Fury was the central character of
> a Stephen King novel and a subsequent movie. Name that
> title car.

Christine. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Bruce.

> 8. The 1977 Trans Am will always be associated with a Burt Reynolds
> movie. Name that movie.

"Smokey and the Bandit". 4 for everyone.

> 9. This very ugly AMC car was the official wheels of Wayne &
> Garth in "Wayne's World", and the vehicle in which they sang
> "Bohemian Rhapsody". Name that model.

Pacer. 4 for Bruce and Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

> 10. The lead character in this '90s/'00s sitcom, set in a previous
> era, drove his dad's 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. Name that
> sitcom.

"That '70s Show". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Bruce,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Raptors: The Unlovable Years

> A recent poll found 3/4 of US basketball fans are rooting for the
> Raptors to win the NBA title over Golden State. But the team has
> been unpopular with players, who sometimes refused to show up on
> being traded here. Here's a round on the unloved Raptors, and
> some big names who were barely here for a cup of coffee, if at all.

And this was the hardest round in the original game.

> Where a team is asked for, answer with either city or team name,
> like "Toronto" or "Raptors".

> 1. Nicknamed Mighty Mouse, the Raptors' first ever draft pick
> and rookie of the year lasted 3 seasons before demanding a
> trade to Portland. Name him.

Damon Stoudemire.

> 2. Having traded <answer 1> to Portland, the Raptors found that
> Kenny Anderson, the all-star player we were supposed to get,
> had refused to show up, and he was traded in absentia -- to
> what team?

The Boston Celtics.

> 3. The key player the Raptors got from <answer 2> for Anderson
> showed up, but played less than a year before being traded to
> the Denver Nuggets. He would become a 5-time NBA all-star,
> mostly with the Nuggets and Detroit Pistons. Name him.

Chauncey Billups. 4 for Pete.

> 4. Vince Carter ended up unhappy in Toronto and was traded to the
> New Jersey Nets for an eventual Hall of Fame player who -- yes
> -- refused to show up to play for the Raptors. His contract
> was bought out for $9,000,000 and he ended up playing for the
> Miami Heat. Name him.

Alonzo Mourning.

> 5. This player had an unusual reason for wanting to leave Toronto:
> he felt he was being overshadowed by his cousin Vince Carter.
> Name this eventual all-star, who was traded to Orlando 3 years
> after being drafted straight out of high school.

Tracy McGrady.

> 6. Already famous in college as a member of the Michigan Wolverines
> "Fab Five", this player was traded from the Bulls to the Raptors
> in 2003 and lasted less than a season before being traded again,
> to the Knicks. He is also famous for coining the term "Queen
> Elizabeth tax hike" as a reason players shunned Toronto.

Jalen Rose. 2 for Pete.

> 7. The player with the distinction of being the first to refuse
> to play in Toronto, B.J. Armstrong was the team's first pick
> in the expansion draft. He was traded without ever playing.
> Name *either* the team he came from or the team they traded
> him to.

Chicago Bulls, Golden State Warriors (respectively). 4 for Pete.

> 8. This Houston Rockets superstar, nicknamed "The Dream", actually
> chose to end his career in Toronto! But he was on the injured
> list for most of his one season, and his big contract messed
> up the team's salary cap for years. So, no love lost there.
> Name him.

Hakeem Olajuwon. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. This early Raptors star was sent to the Knicks in 1998 after
> demanding a trade. He continued to bad-mouth the organization
> to the extent that then-coach Butch Carter filed a defamation
> suit against him. Name that player, who would later infamously
> punch Spurs coach Jeff Van Gundy in the face.

Marcus Camby.

> 10. His name and his ethnicity are similar. This highly touted
> Turkish-born three-point shooter was traded to the Raptors in
> 2010 and was soon fined and benched for partying all night.
> On being traded to Phoenix, he openly bad-mouthed both Toronto
> and the Raptors. Who he?

Hedo Turkoglu.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can His Art Sci Ent Spo FOUR
Dan Blum 24 22 15 14 36 0 97
Dan Tilque 24 24 8 12 36 4 96
Bruce Bowler 19 8 8 24 40 0 91
Pete Gayde 4 18 12 20 38 14 90
Joshua Kreitzer 20 8 -- -- 36 4 68
"Calvin" -- -- 11 13 22 0 46
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 4 4 -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader | "There is a pervasive illusion in certain quarters
Toronto | that Mother Nature is our friend. Wrong; dead wrong.
| and she loves surprises." -- Henry Spencer

Calvin

Jul 4, 2019, 7:07:01 PM7/4/19
On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 6:31:45 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> > 5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
> > Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.
>
> "Knight Rider". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.
> 2 for Calvin.
> As Joshua noted, "'70s" was wrong; the show aired 1982-86.
> The car's own name on it was KITT.

I request the full 4 points here as my first (incorrect) answer was heavily influenced by the incorrect 1970s reference.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 4, 2019, 10:43:59 PM7/4/19
Mark Brader:
>> > 5. This intelligent car from a popular '70s TV show was a revamped
>> > Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Name that show.
>>
>> "Knight Rider". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.
>> 2 for Calvin.
>>
>> As Joshua noted, "'70s" was wrong; the show aired 1982-86.
>> The car's own name on it was KITT.

"Calvin":
> I request the full 4 points here as my first (incorrect) answer was
> heavily influenced by the incorrect 1970s reference.

"The Rockford Files" was not a show featuring an intelligent car.
Sorry, but protest denied.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "UNIX make moving not pain
m...@vex.net | but almost pleasure." -- "Housewife", 1941

Mark Brader

Jul 31, 2019, 5:17:52 AM7/31/19
Mark Brader:
> > * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Raptors: The Unlovable Years
>
> > A recent poll found 3/4 of US basketball fans are rooting for the
> > Raptors to win the NBA title over Golden State. But the team has
> > been unpopular with players, who sometimes refused to show up on
> > being traded here. Here's a round on the unloved Raptors, and
> > some big names who were barely here for a cup of coffee, if at all.
>
> And this was the hardest round in the original game.

Now that the season is over, I can reveal that it was also the
second-hardest round in the entire season.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "No flames were used in the creation of
m...@vex.net | this message." -- Ray Depew

Mark Brader

Jul 31, 2019, 5:20:26 AM7/31/19
Mark Brader:
> > * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Drive, she Said
>
> > You are what you drive, especially onscreen. Here's a round
> > on car makes and models that entered, or were confirmed, in our
> > consciousness via TV and movies.
>
> This was the easiest round in the original game.

And tied for fifth-easiest in the entire season.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Neither a follower nor a leader be."
m...@vex.net --Steve Summit (after Shakespeare)