QFTCICR19 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: NBA coaches and science

Mark Brader

Mar 19, 2019, 4:20:39 AM3/19/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - NBA Coaches

For questions #1-8, in each case name the person described.

1. This former NBA player and coach holds the record for the most
combined championships: 2 as a player and 11 as a coach.

2. This former Boston Celtics president coached the team to
9 championships from 1957 to 1966.

3. The longest-tenured active head coach in all the major sports
leagues of the US, this man took over as coach of the San Antonio
Spurs in 1996. He has led them to a winning record in 21 out
of 21 complete seasons so far, and won 5 championships with them.

4. This former NBA coach won 4 championships with the L.A. Lakers
during their "Showtime" era in the 1980s, then another one with
the Miami Heat in 2006. He was named NBA Coach of the Year three
times with a different team each time, and was head coach of an
all-star game 9 times. He was the first North American sports
figure to win a championship as a player, an assistant coach,
a head coach, and an executive.

5. This former player and coach won 11 of his 12 NBA championships
with the Boston Celtics -- 8 as a player between 1958 and 1966,
one as an assistant coach in 1981, and 2 as head coach in 1984
and 1986. Hint: His name sounds like the title of a Grateful
Dead song.

6. This former NBA player and coach set numerous records as a
player. He was the first black coach in North American
professional sports and the first black coach to win
a major-league championship. In 2011 he received the
Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama.

7. This former Detroit Pistons coach led his team to consecutive
NBA championships in 1989 and 1990, then led the US "Dream Team"
to the gold medal at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. The NBA's
lifetime-achievement award in coaching is named after him.

8. The current head coach of the Golden State Warriors is an 8-time
NBA champion: as a player 3 times with the Bulls and 2 with
the Spurs, then 3 times as a coach with the Warriors. In 2015
he broke the NBA record for the most regular-season wins as a
coach, then in 2016 he broke it again.

For #9-10, give the full name of the team, like "Saskatchewan
Roughriders".

9. John Kundla served 12 seasons as a head coach in pro basketball.
He was 101 years old when he died in 2017. Which team did he
lead to 5 championships from 1949 (when they were in the BAA)
until 1954?

10. Larry Bird won many NBA honors throughout his career as a Boston
Celtics player from 1979 to 1992. He also coached *which team*
from 1997 until 2000, winning the Coach of the Year award in
1998, and leading them to their only NBA Finals appearance
in 2000?

* Game 5, Round 6 - Science Miscellany

1. Physics: Which ancient physicist is credited with saying,
"Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can
move the Earth"?

2. Metallurgy: Most incandescent light bulbs have filaments made
of what metal?

3. Geology: The ruby and the sapphire are both forms of what
mineral?

4. What is the named, unprefixed SI unit of electric charge?
(For example, if we had asked for pressure we would want the
pascal, not the kilopascal and not the kg/m·s².)

5. Anatomy: Which famous Flemish anatomist of the 16th century is
known as the founder of modern human anatomy?

6. Space: According to one reckoning, the first time a man-made
object left the solar system was in 2012. It was launched
in 1977. Name it.

7. Physics: The proposal of the atomic theory of matter by a
scientist (as opposed to an ancient philosopher) was by which
British chemist and physicist in 1803?

8. Microbiology: The father of modern microbiology is considered
to be Antonie van Leeuwenhoek ["LAY-ven-huck"]. What device
did he improve?

9. Medicine: Hyperlordosis is an overly accentuated curve in what
part of the body?

10. Medicine: Paresthesia is a tingling, pricking, or numb sensation
that usually arises in the extremities. What is it commonly
called?

After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur bhgre
fcnpr dhrfgvba, jr jnag anzr naq ahzore. Vs lbh bayl tnir n anzr,
cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq gur ahzore.

--
Mark Brader Safire's Rule on Who-Whom:
Toronto "Whenever 'whom' sounds correct, recast the sentence."

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 19, 2019, 9:15:30 AM3/19/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:qcednc3tVL_POw3BnZ2dnUU7-
KfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - NBA Coaches
>
> For questions #1-8, in each case name the person described.
>
> 1. This former NBA player and coach holds the record for the most
> combined championships: 2 as a player and 11 as a coach.

Phil Jackson

> 2. This former Boston Celtics president coached the team to
> 9 championships from 1957 to 1966.

Red Auerbach

> 3. The longest-tenured active head coach in all the major sports
> leagues of the US, this man took over as coach of the San Antonio
> Spurs in 1996. He has led them to a winning record in 21 out
> of 21 complete seasons so far, and won 5 championships with them.

Greg Popovich

> 4. This former NBA coach won 4 championships with the L.A. Lakers
> during their "Showtime" era in the 1980s, then another one with
> the Miami Heat in 2006. He was named NBA Coach of the Year three
> times with a different team each time, and was head coach of an
> all-star game 9 times. He was the first North American sports
> figure to win a championship as a player, an assistant coach,
> a head coach, and an executive.

Pat Riley

> 5. This former player and coach won 11 of his 12 NBA championships
> with the Boston Celtics -- 8 as a player between 1958 and 1966,
> one as an assistant coach in 1981, and 2 as head coach in 1984
> and 1986. Hint: His name sounds like the title of a Grateful
> Dead song.

K.C. Jones

> 6. This former NBA player and coach set numerous records as a
> player. He was the first black coach in North American
> professional sports and the first black coach to win
> a major-league championship. In 2011 he received the
> Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama.

Bill Russell

> For #9-10, give the full name of the team, like "Saskatchewan
> Roughriders".
>
> 9. John Kundla served 12 seasons as a head coach in pro basketball.
> He was 101 years old when he died in 2017. Which team did he
> lead to 5 championships from 1949 (when they were in the BAA)
> until 1954?

Minneapolis Lakers

> 10. Larry Bird won many NBA honors throughout his career as a Boston
> Celtics player from 1979 to 1992. He also coached *which team*
> from 1997 until 2000, winning the Coach of the Year award in
> 1998, and leading them to their only NBA Finals appearance
> in 2000?

Indiana Pacers

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science Miscellany
>
> 1. Physics: Which ancient physicist is credited with saying,
> "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can
> move the Earth"?

Archimedes

> 2. Metallurgy: Most incandescent light bulbs have filaments made
> of what metal?

tungsten

> 3. Geology: The ruby and the sapphire are both forms of what
> mineral?

carborundum

> 4. What is the named, unprefixed SI unit of electric charge?
> (For example, if we had asked for pressure we would want the
> pascal, not the kilopascal and not the kg/m·s².)

coulomb

> 6. Space: According to one reckoning, the first time a man-made
> object left the solar system was in 2012. It was launched
> in 1977. Name it.

Pioneer 11; Pioneer 10

> 8. Microbiology: The father of modern microbiology is considered
> to be Antonie van Leeuwenhoek ["LAY-ven-huck"]. What device
> did he improve?

microscope

> 9. Medicine: Hyperlordosis is an overly accentuated curve in what
> part of the body?

spine

> 10. Medicine: Paresthesia is a tingling, pricking, or numb sensation
> that usually arises in the extremities. What is it commonly
> called?

neuropathy

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Mar 19, 2019, 9:54:15 AM3/19/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science Miscellany

> 1. Physics: Which ancient physicist is credited with saying,
> "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can
> move the Earth"?

Archimedes

> 2. Metallurgy: Most incandescent light bulbs have filaments made
> of what metal?

tungsten

> 3. Geology: The ruby and the sapphire are both forms of what
> mineral?

carborundum

> 4. What is the named, unprefixed SI unit of electric charge?
> (For example, if we had asked for pressure we would want the
> pascal, not the kilopascal and not the kg/m?s?.)

volt

> 5. Anatomy: Which famous Flemish anatomist of the 16th century is
> known as the founder of modern human anatomy?

Veselius

> 6. Space: According to one reckoning, the first time a man-made
> object left the solar system was in 2012. It was launched
> in 1977. Name it.

Voyager 1

> 7. Physics: The proposal of the atomic theory of matter by a
> scientist (as opposed to an ancient philosopher) was by which
> British chemist and physicist in 1803?

Davy; Faraday

> 8. Microbiology: The father of modern microbiology is considered
> to be Antonie van Leeuwenhoek ["LAY-ven-huck"]. What device
> did he improve?

microscope

> 9. Medicine: Hyperlordosis is an overly accentuated curve in what
> part of the body?

lower back

> 10. Medicine: Paresthesia is a tingling, pricking, or numb sensation
> that usually arises in the extremities. What is it commonly
> called?

pins and needles

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Mar 19, 2019, 4:17:18 PM3/19/19
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 03:20:34 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-04, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-01-22
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - NBA Coaches

Nope

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science Miscellany
>
> 1. Physics: Which ancient physicist is credited with saying,
> "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can move the
> Earth"?

Archimedes

> 2. Metallurgy: Most incandescent light bulbs have filaments made
> of what metal?

Tungsten

> 3. Geology: The ruby and the sapphire are both forms of what
> mineral?

Corundum

> 4. What is the named, unprefixed SI unit of electric charge?
> (For example, if we had asked for pressure we would want the pascal,
> not the kilopascal and not the kg/m·s².)

Ampere

> 5. Anatomy: Which famous Flemish anatomist of the 16th century is
> known as the founder of modern human anatomy?
>
> 6. Space: According to one reckoning, the first time a man-made
> object left the solar system was in 2012. It was launched in 1977.
> Name it.

Voyager II

> 7. Physics: The proposal of the atomic theory of matter by a
> scientist (as opposed to an ancient philosopher) was by which British
> chemist and physicist in 1803?
>
> 8. Microbiology: The father of modern microbiology is considered
> to be Antonie van Leeuwenhoek ["LAY-ven-huck"]. What device did he
> improve?

Microscope

> 9. Medicine: Hyperlordosis is an overly accentuated curve in what
> part of the body?

Spine

> 10. Medicine: Paresthesia is a tingling, pricking, or numb sensation
> that usually arises in the extremities. What is it commonly called?

"pins and needles"

Calvin

Mar 19, 2019, 7:35:19 PM3/19/19
On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 6:20:39 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - NBA Coaches
>
> For questions #1-8, in each case name the person described.
>
> 1. This former NBA player and coach holds the record for the most
> combined championships: 2 as a player and 11 as a coach.

Jackson

> 2. This former Boston Celtics president coached the team to
> 9 championships from 1957 to 1966.

Auerbach

> 3. The longest-tenured active head coach in all the major sports
> leagues of the US, this man took over as coach of the San Antonio
> Spurs in 1996. He has led them to a winning record in 21 out
> of 21 complete seasons so far, and won 5 championships with them.
>
> 4. This former NBA coach won 4 championships with the L.A. Lakers
> during their "Showtime" era in the 1980s, then another one with
> the Miami Heat in 2006. He was named NBA Coach of the Year three
> times with a different team each time, and was head coach of an
> all-star game 9 times. He was the first North American sports
> figure to win a championship as a player, an assistant coach,
> a head coach, and an executive.

Riley

> 5. This former player and coach won 11 of his 12 NBA championships
> with the Boston Celtics -- 8 as a player between 1958 and 1966,
> one as an assistant coach in 1981, and 2 as head coach in 1984
> and 1986. Hint: His name sounds like the title of a Grateful
> Dead song.

Auerbach
Minnesota Timberwolves?

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science Miscellany
>
> 1. Physics: Which ancient physicist is credited with saying,
> "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can
> move the Earth"?

Archimedes

> 2. Metallurgy: Most incandescent light bulbs have filaments made
> of what metal?

Tungsten

> 3. Geology: The ruby and the sapphire are both forms of what
> mineral?
>
> 4. What is the named, unprefixed SI unit of electric charge?
> (For example, if we had asked for pressure we would want the
> pascal, not the kilopascal and not the kg/m·s².)

Ampere?

> 5. Anatomy: Which famous Flemish anatomist of the 16th century is
> known as the founder of modern human anatomy?
>
> 6. Space: According to one reckoning, the first time a man-made
> object left the solar system was in 2012. It was launched
> in 1977. Name it.

Voyager I, Voyager II

> 7. Physics: The proposal of the atomic theory of matter by a
> scientist (as opposed to an ancient philosopher) was by which
> British chemist and physicist in 1803?

Thomson

> 8. Microbiology: The father of modern microbiology is considered
> to be Antonie van Leeuwenhoek ["LAY-ven-huck"]. What device
> did he improve?

Microscope?

> 9. Medicine: Hyperlordosis is an overly accentuated curve in what
> part of the body?

Spine?

> 10. Medicine: Paresthesia is a tingling, pricking, or numb sensation
> that usually arises in the extremities. What is it commonly
> called?

Pins and needles

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Mar 20, 2019, 6:24:39 AM3/20/19
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - NBA Coaches
>
> For questions #1-8, in each case name the person described.
>
> 1. This former NBA player and coach holds the record for the most
> combined championships: 2 as a player and 11 as a coach.
>
> 2. This former Boston Celtics president coached the team to
> 9 championships from 1957 to 1966.

Red Auerbach

> 3. The longest-tenured active head coach in all the major sports
> leagues of the US, this man took over as coach of the San Antonio
> Spurs in 1996. He has led them to a winning record in 21 out
> of 21 complete seasons so far, and won 5 championships with them.

Popovich

> 4. This former NBA coach won 4 championships with the L.A. Lakers
> during their "Showtime" era in the 1980s, then another one with
> the Miami Heat in 2006. He was named NBA Coach of the Year three
> times with a different team each time, and was head coach of an
> all-star game 9 times. He was the first North American sports
> figure to win a championship as a player, an assistant coach,
> a head coach, and an executive.
>
> 5. This former player and coach won 11 of his 12 NBA championships
> with the Boston Celtics -- 8 as a player between 1958 and 1966,
> one as an assistant coach in 1981, and 2 as head coach in 1984
> and 1986. Hint: His name sounds like the title of a Grateful
> Dead song.
>
> 6. This former NBA player and coach set numerous records as a
> player. He was the first black coach in North American
> professional sports and the first black coach to win
> a major-league championship. In 2011 he received the
> Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama.

Bill Russell

> 7. This former Detroit Pistons coach led his team to consecutive
> NBA championships in 1989 and 1990, then led the US "Dream Team"
> to the gold medal at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. The NBA's
> lifetime-achievement award in coaching is named after him.
>
> 8. The current head coach of the Golden State Warriors is an 8-time
> NBA champion: as a player 3 times with the Bulls and 2 with
> the Spurs, then 3 times as a coach with the Warriors. In 2015
> he broke the NBA record for the most regular-season wins as a
> coach, then in 2016 he broke it again.
>
> For #9-10, give the full name of the team, like "Saskatchewan
> Roughriders".
>
> 9. John Kundla served 12 seasons as a head coach in pro basketball.
> He was 101 years old when he died in 2017. Which team did he
> lead to 5 championships from 1949 (when they were in the BAA)
> until 1954?
>
> 10. Larry Bird won many NBA honors throughout his career as a Boston
> Celtics player from 1979 to 1992. He also coached *which team*
> from 1997 until 2000, winning the Coach of the Year award in
> 1998, and leading them to their only NBA Finals appearance
> in 2000?

Indiana Pacers

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science Miscellany
>
> 1. Physics: Which ancient physicist is credited with saying,
> "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can
> move the Earth"?

Archimedes

> 2. Metallurgy: Most incandescent light bulbs have filaments made
> of what metal?

tungsten

> 3. Geology: The ruby and the sapphire are both forms of what
> mineral?

carborundum

> 4. What is the named, unprefixed SI unit of electric charge?
> (For example, if we had asked for pressure we would want the
> pascal, not the kilopascal and not the kg/m·s².)

coulomb

> 5. Anatomy: Which famous Flemish anatomist of the 16th century is
> known as the founder of modern human anatomy?
>
> 6. Space: According to one reckoning, the first time a man-made
> object left the solar system was in 2012. It was launched
> in 1977. Name it.

Pioneer 10

> 7. Physics: The proposal of the atomic theory of matter by a
> scientist (as opposed to an ancient philosopher) was by which
> British chemist and physicist in 1803?

Davy

> 8. Microbiology: The father of modern microbiology is considered
> to be Antonie van Leeuwenhoek ["LAY-ven-huck"]. What device
> did he improve?

microscope

> 9. Medicine: Hyperlordosis is an overly accentuated curve in what
> part of the body?

back

> 10. Medicine: Paresthesia is a tingling, pricking, or numb sensation
> that usually arises in the extremities. What is it commonly
> called?

body part falling asleep

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur bhgre
> fcnpr dhrfgvba, jr jnag anzr naq ahzore. Vs lbh bayl tnir n anzr,
> cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq gur ahzore.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Mar 20, 2019, 5:12:09 PM3/20/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:qcednc3tVL_POw3BnZ2dnUU7-
KfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-04,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - NBA Coaches
>
> For questions #1-8, in each case name the person described.
>
> 1. This former NBA player and coach holds the record for the most
> combined championships: 2 as a player and 11 as a coach.

Phil Jackson

> 2. This former Boston Celtics president coached the team to
> 9 championships from 1957 to 1966.

Auerbach

> 3. The longest-tenured active head coach in all the major sports
> leagues of the US, this man took over as coach of the San Antonio
> Spurs in 1996. He has led them to a winning record in 21 out
> of 21 complete seasons so far, and won 5 championships with them.
>
> 4. This former NBA coach won 4 championships with the L.A. Lakers
> during their "Showtime" era in the 1980s, then another one with
> the Miami Heat in 2006. He was named NBA Coach of the Year three
> times with a different team each time, and was head coach of an
> all-star game 9 times. He was the first North American sports
> figure to win a championship as a player, an assistant coach,
> a head coach, and an executive.

Pat Riley

> 5. This former player and coach won 11 of his 12 NBA championships
> with the Boston Celtics -- 8 as a player between 1958 and 1966,
> one as an assistant coach in 1981, and 2 as head coach in 1984
> and 1986. Hint: His name sounds like the title of a Grateful
> Dead song.

Tom Heinsohn

> 6. This former NBA player and coach set numerous records as a
> player. He was the first black coach in North American
> professional sports and the first black coach to win
> a major-league championship. In 2011 he received the
> Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama.

Bill Russell

> 7. This former Detroit Pistons coach led his team to consecutive
> NBA championships in 1989 and 1990, then led the US "Dream Team"
> to the gold medal at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. The NBA's
> lifetime-achievement award in coaching is named after him.

Chuck

> 8. The current head coach of the Golden State Warriors is an 8-time
> NBA champion: as a player 3 times with the Bulls and 2 with
> the Spurs, then 3 times as a coach with the Warriors. In 2015
> he broke the NBA record for the most regular-season wins as a
> coach, then in 2016 he broke it again.
>
> For #9-10, give the full name of the team, like "Saskatchewan
> Roughriders".
>
> 9. John Kundla served 12 seasons as a head coach in pro basketball.
> He was 101 years old when he died in 2017. Which team did he
> lead to 5 championships from 1949 (when they were in the BAA)
> until 1954?

Minneapolis Lakers

> 10. Larry Bird won many NBA honors throughout his career as a Boston
> Celtics player from 1979 to 1992. He also coached *which team*
> from 1997 until 2000, winning the Coach of the Year award in
> 1998, and leading them to their only NBA Finals appearance
> in 2000?

Indiana Pacers

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science Miscellany
>
> 1. Physics: Which ancient physicist is credited with saying,
> "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can
> move the Earth"?
>
> 2. Metallurgy: Most incandescent light bulbs have filaments made
> of what metal?

Tungsten

> 3. Geology: The ruby and the sapphire are both forms of what
> mineral?

Quartz

> 4. What is the named, unprefixed SI unit of electric charge?
> (For example, if we had asked for pressure we would want the
> pascal, not the kilopascal and not the kg/m·s².)

Volt

> 5. Anatomy: Which famous Flemish anatomist of the 16th century is
> known as the founder of modern human anatomy?
>
> 6. Space: According to one reckoning, the first time a man-made
> object left the solar system was in 2012. It was launched
> in 1977. Name it.

Voyager I

> 7. Physics: The proposal of the atomic theory of matter by a
> scientist (as opposed to an ancient philosopher) was by which
> British chemist and physicist in 1803?
>
> 8. Microbiology: The father of modern microbiology is considered
> to be Antonie van Leeuwenhoek ["LAY-ven-huck"]. What device
> did he improve?

Microscope

> 9. Medicine: Hyperlordosis is an overly accentuated curve in what
> part of the body?

Spine

> 10. Medicine: Paresthesia is a tingling, pricking, or numb sensation
> that usually arises in the extremities. What is it commonly
> called?

Pins and needles

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur bhgre
> fcnpr dhrfgvba, jr jnag anzr naq ahzore. Vs lbh bayl tnir n anzr,
> cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq gur ahzore.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Mar 22, 2019, 5:16:16 AM3/22/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-04,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - NBA Coaches

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> For questions #1-8, in each case name the person described.

> 1. This former NBA player and coach holds the record for the most
> combined championships: 2 as a player and 11 as a coach.

Phil Jackson (New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers).
The 2 championships as a player include one season that he actually
missed due to an injury. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

> 2. This former Boston Celtics president coached the team to
> 9 championships from 1957 to 1966.

Red Auerbach. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. The longest-tenured active head coach in all the major sports
> leagues of the US, this man took over as coach of the San Antonio
> Spurs in 1996. He has led them to a winning record in 21 out
> of 21 complete seasons so far, and won 5 championships with them.

Gregg Popovich. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 4. This former NBA coach won 4 championships with the L.A. Lakers
> during their "Showtime" era in the 1980s, then another one with
> the Miami Heat in 2006. He was named NBA Coach of the Year three
> times with a different team each time, and was head coach of an
> all-star game 9 times. He was the first North American sports
> figure to win a championship as a player, an assistant coach,
> a head coach, and an executive.

Pat Riley. (Also played for San Diego Rockets and Phoenix Suns;
also coached New York Knicks.) 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

> 5. This former player and coach won 11 of his 12 NBA championships
> with the Boston Celtics -- 8 as a player between 1958 and 1966,
> one as an assistant coach in 1981, and 2 as head coach in 1984
> and 1986. Hint: His name sounds like the title of a Grateful
> Dead song.

K.C. Jones. (Also assistant coach for L.A. Lakers' championship
in 1972.) 4 for Joshua.

> 6. This former NBA player and coach set numerous records as a
> player. He was the first black coach in North American
> professional sports and the first black coach to win
> a major-league championship. In 2011 he received the
> Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama.

Bill Russell. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. This former Detroit Pistons coach led his team to consecutive
> NBA championships in 1989 and 1990, then led the US "Dream Team"
> to the gold medal at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. The NBA's
> lifetime-achievement award in coaching is named after him.

Chuck Daly.

> 8. The current head coach of the Golden State Warriors is an 8-time
> NBA champion: as a player 3 times with the Bulls and 2 with
> the Spurs, then 3 times as a coach with the Warriors. In 2015
> he broke the NBA record for the most regular-season wins as a
> coach, then in 2016 he broke it again.

Steve Kerr. (67 wins in 2014-15, 73 in 2015-16. The season is
82 games long.)

> For #9-10, give the full name of the team, like "Saskatchewan
> Roughriders".

> 9. John Kundla served 12 seasons as a head coach in pro basketball.
> He was 101 years old when he died in 2017. Which team did he
> lead to 5 championships from 1949 (when they were in the BAA)
> until 1954?

Minneapolis Lakers. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 10. Larry Bird won many NBA honors throughout his career as a Boston
> Celtics player from 1979 to 1992. He also coached *which team*
> from 1997 until 2000, winning the Coach of the Year award in
> 1998, and leading them to their only NBA Finals appearance
> in 2000?

Indiana Pacers. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science Miscellany

> 1. Physics: Which ancient physicist is credited with saying,
> "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I can
> move the Earth"?

Archimedes. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Metallurgy: Most incandescent light bulbs have filaments made
> of what metal?

Tungsten. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Essentially the same question was asked on "Jeopardy!" three days
after the original game.

> 3. Geology: The ruby and the sapphire are both forms of what
> mineral?

Corundum. (Not carborundum.) 4 for Bruce.

> 4. What is the named, unprefixed SI unit of electric charge?
> (For example, if we had asked for pressure we would want the
> pascal, not the kilopascal and not the kg/m·s².)

Coulomb. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Anatomy: Which famous Flemish anatomist of the 16th century is
> known as the founder of modern human anatomy?

Vesalius. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Space: According to one reckoning, the first time a man-made
> object left the solar system was in 2012. It was launched
> in 1977. Name it.

Voyager 1. (See also http://xkcd.com/1189/ and, of course --
spoiler for the movie rot13'd -- "Fgne Gerx: Gur Zbgvba Cvpgher"
(1979).) 4 for Dan Blum and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> 7. Physics: The proposal of the atomic theory of matter by a
> scientist (as opposed to an ancient philosopher) was by which
> British chemist and physicist in 1803?

John Dalton.

> 8. Microbiology: The father of modern microbiology is considered
> to be Antonie van Leeuwenhoek ["LAY-ven-huck"]. What device
> did he improve?

Microscope (lenses). 4 for everyone.

> 9. Medicine: Hyperlordosis is an overly accentuated curve in what
> part of the body?

The spine in the lower back. (Accepting either part.) 4 for
everyone.

> 10. Medicine: Paresthesia is a tingling, pricking, or numb sensation
> that usually arises in the extremities. What is it commonly
> called?

"Pins and needles", or the extremity "going to sleep". 4 for
Dan Blum, Bruce, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Geo Spo Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 23 35 32 20 110
Dan Tilque 20 32 16 24 92
Pete Gayde 23 22 24 20 89
"Calvin" 11 38 12 23 84
Dan Blum 12 20 0 28 60
Erland Sommarskog 8 28 -- -- 36
Bruce Bowler -- -- 0 24 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto It's all Henry's fault.
m...@vex.net -- Geoff Collyer